PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Bontempelli close to AFL debut

wimberga
17-04-2014, 12:00 PM
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/marcus-bontempelli-close-to-afl-debut-luke-dahlhaus-a-chance-to-return-from-injury/story-fndv8weh-1226887632143

HE has been knocking on the door for a few weeks, but young Western Bulldogs gun Marcus Bontempelli is a strong chance to make his AFL debut this weekend.

Bontempelli, who was taken at pick No. 4 in the 2013 National Draft, impressed for Footscray in the VFL last weekend, with Champion Data recording 27 touches, eight clearances, five tackles, three assists next to the hard-running midfielder’s name.

Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney said Bontempelli, 18, was “in the mix” to play against Carlton at Etihad Stadium on Sunday.
“He did some pretty incredible things in the VFL last week. He’s coming along nicely,” McCartney said on Thursday.

McCartney was hopeful that small forward Luke Dahlhaus (calf) would prove his fitness during training and take on the Blues.
Veteran defender Dale Morris will not play on Sunday, after suffering an ankle injury while tripping GWS’ Will Hoskin-Elliott in Round 4 — an incident he was consequently suspended for.
However McCartney is confident his team has the defensive depth to cover Morris.

“Dale out this week will give a young defender an opportunity. Fletcher Roberts and Michael Talia are both coming along,” he said.
The Bulldogs defeated Carlton by 28 points when the two teams last met (Round 20, 2013).
It was a win McCartney took great confidence out of.

“Statistically our win over Carlton last year was one of our best, we were playing pretty good footy then,” he said.
“We’re still a work in progress. This week’s focus has been all about us, reviewing our game, the opposition is pretty irrelevant.
“I think we’re tracking along OK, we’re becoming a good solid footy team, but you can’t get comfortable.”

Just name him already!

Murphy'sLore
17-04-2014, 12:44 PM
'A good solid footy team.' So we're not 'young and developing and learning' any more. Excellent. We are now officially in Phase Two.

bornadog
17-04-2014, 12:52 PM
He may replace Stringer this week.

lemmon
17-04-2014, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't mind him getting a taste off a half forward flank, he'd be a strange match up for Carlton in terms of what he brings to the table physically

The Bulldogs Bite
17-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Really hope he debuts, very intrigued about Bonti's prospects.

ratsmac
17-04-2014, 09:59 PM
Really hope he debuts, very intrigued about Bonti's prospects.

Exactly, I couldn't have said it better.

jeemak
17-04-2014, 10:38 PM
Bontempelli. Can't wait to see him get a game.

He and Jack-Mac are going to present a lot of issues in the coming years with their height and handling skills.

LostDoggy
17-04-2014, 10:38 PM
Very exciting.

azabob
18-04-2014, 10:07 AM
Bontempelli. Can't wait to see him get a game.

He and Jack-Mac are going to present a lot of issues in the coming years with their height and handling skills.

Liberatore not so much height, but handling skills. Wallis, Smith with their grunt, Dahlhaus with his agility the midfield is looking good. I do wonder if we will draft an out and out fast running, long kicking old fashioned wingman?

LostDoggy
21-04-2014, 12:20 AM
Great debut. This kid looks the goods.

Remi Moses
21-04-2014, 01:36 AM
We were told his hands are elite and he didn't disappoint.
The game's frenetic pace slows down when he or Jack Macrae have the ball.

Ghost Dog
21-04-2014, 08:27 AM
Liberatore not so much height, but handling skills. Wallis, Smith with their grunt, Dahlhaus with his agility the midfield is looking good. I do wonder if we will draft an out and out fast running, long kicking old fashioned wingman?

His height is a factor if you consider his go go gadget arms. Even when tackled he has time for full 360 disposal with a raking handpass.

Ozza
22-04-2014, 12:52 AM
Really Looking forward to seeing him once he is more AFL ready- fitness wise.
Had some good moments, a couple not so good - and was out on his feet a few times. But good to see him push through and get better as the game went on.

lemmon
22-04-2014, 05:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XEEEvzXeKo

This is also on the club's website but deserves to be posted. The trepidation, pride and achievement on his face captures the look of someone who knows what it means to be there. The right amounts of fear and excitement.

bornadog
22-04-2014, 06:16 PM
Love his size and build, we have picked a beauty there.

LostDoggy
23-04-2014, 07:44 PM
Love his size and build, we have picked a beauty there.

Agree .. think he showed some glimpses of a class act to watch in the future.
Didnt think he was in our best 12 let alone in the votes like some woofers but plenty of excitement to come

bulldogtragic
23-04-2014, 09:40 PM
I hope the coaches show Koby how to deal with pressure and take the hits. There's been so much panic handballing this season he stood out like a beacon. In his first game mind you.

Rocket Science
24-11-2020, 10:18 PM
So just like that, seven years and a precocious flag later, the Bont is suddenly 25 ...

Time to make some hay.

GVGjr
24-11-2020, 10:24 PM
So just like that, seven years and a precocious flag later, the Bont is suddenly 25 ...

Time to make some hay.

We can't keep fluffing around with our game plans and line-ups, we have 2 years to really make another push for the flag

Rocket Science
24-11-2020, 10:42 PM
We can't keep fluffing around with our game plans and line-ups, we have 2 years to really make another push for the flag

Fingers crossed the window extends longer than the next couple of years but in furious agreement, it's time.

Less faffing, moar flags.

Ozza
25-11-2020, 01:01 PM
Where do we see the remainder of Bont's career going in terms of role in the team?

Is he a midfielder/sometimes forward for the rest of his career?

Does he gradually spend more and more time forward and end up a centre half forward type from 29-32?

Or late in his career does he begin patrolling half back and set up the play for us? (probably the least likely....but it has crossed my mind before whether he could play that role very late in his career).

Twodogs
25-11-2020, 01:36 PM
Where do we see the remainder of Bont's career going in terms of role in the team?

Does he gradually spend more and more time forward and end up a centre half forward type from 29-32?

Or late in his career does he begin patrolling half back and set up the play for us? (probably the least likely....but it has crossed my mind before whether he could play that role very late in his career).

Gradually spend more time forward and end up a CHF for mine. The only problem I see is players that play across half forward absorb a lot of punishment from defenders (and teammates) running into them as they run back with the flight of the ball but then players who spend their entire career in the midfield tend to end up with bad knees.

Sedat
25-11-2020, 01:48 PM

He could do a lot worse than follow the career trajectory of Dustin Martin, and to a lesser extent, Dangerfield. Basically play anywhere he wants forward of centre. I'd like to see him challenged to keep raising his game and become an absolute legend of the game. After a slow and frankly poor start to the season, his 2nd half of 2020 was pure beast mode and best in the entire competition - he has that in him to etch his name on the game forever.

Scraggers
25-11-2020, 02:15 PM

I think we only have to look at what Freo is doing with Fyfe to know the answer to that. Very similar player with very similar importance to the team's success.

Grantysghost
25-11-2020, 04:56 PM
He could do a lot worse than follow the career trajectory of Dustin Martin, and to a lesser extent, Dangerfield. Basically play anywhere he wants forward of centre. I'd like to see him challenged to keep raising his game and become an absolute legend of the game. After a slow and frankly poor start to the season, his 2nd half of 2020 was pure beast mode and best in the entire competition - he has that in him to etch his name on the game forever.

You forget that scintillating form in the JLT ANSETT NAB WIZARD cup v Norf !

bornadog
25-11-2020, 05:33 PM

I like The Bont in the middle, because he makes things happen. The long raking left foot kick into the forward line is a real weapon.

azabob
25-11-2020, 08:07 PM
I like The Bont in the middle, because he makes things happen. The long raking left foot kick into the forward line is a real weapon.

Yep. That’s my view also. But I don’t want to see him inside D50 unless it’s in the final minute of a quarter or match.

jeemak
27-11-2020, 06:17 PM
I like the idea of him being the extra midfielder during latter stages within quarters and rolling back as required, with us playing a 4-5 man forward line at times.