PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 6

Eastdog
21-04-2014, 01:01 PM
This is the round 6 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Adelaide is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
27-04-2014, 04:08 PM
This might be a difficult exercise to find too many bankers

LostDoggy
27-04-2014, 04:48 PM
Anchors

Jones lack of presence
Jones zero marks
General idiocy and gifting away a game we could/should have iced and posting in the last quarter

Bankers

1st quarter
We can play - we are just bloody stupid at times but - the team can play
Dahl, Dickson, Murph and Higgo all did some good things

Did I mention jones needs to be dropped....

bulldogtragic
27-04-2014, 04:48 PM
Bankers:

Dickson
Dahl
First quarter

Anchors:

Jonestown
Jack's giving a goal in red time
Young
The realisation that I cane Richmond and North for having too many players that play on their terms.... But that can be said about us.

Twodogs
27-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Bankers

Dickson
Our start
Our hard work

Anchors

We can't finish a team off
Our kick in strategy from behinds. It finally literally cost us a game today.
Our profligacy after all our hard work. It's gone from heart breaking to plain frustrating when the same errors are made week after week.

Greystache
27-04-2014, 05:37 PM
Bankers

Dickson- He is our most dangerous forward.

Dahlhaus- After a poor first half he really lifted.

Picken- Betts was a non-factor

Anchors

Jones- I've been a supporter but that was THE most weak hearted performance from a Bulldog player in my living memory. He simply refused to make any effort playing forward, then got his arse handed to him by 2 mediocre forwards. And he coughed the ball up the few times he got it. Pathetic!

Griffen- More fumbles from a senior player than I can recall.

2nd and 3rd quarter (lack of) efforts cost us the game

Remi Moses
27-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Bankers - Dickson ( got a chance and took it)
Pickens- spanked a dangerous player

Anchors- Jones (one of the worst efforts I've seen)
Jones and stringer got isolated deep (poor effort from the coaches box)
The MC and not playing Honeychurch and Roberts! Dropping Tutt after a good performance!
What message does that send?Far to conservative selection wise.
Anchor- not kicking a goal for two terms ain't gunna win you to many games.

F'scary
27-04-2014, 05:49 PM
Bankers:
Dahlhaus for putting a bad first half behind him and really turning on the form in the second half;
Picken for the job on Betts;
Dickson for fighting his way back into the team and being our best forward today.

Anchors:
Jones, for a career-destroying game;
Campbell, for a great disappearing act.
Carmeri, for only playing for one quarter.

always right
27-04-2014, 05:51 PM
B
Boyd.....having a great season
Wood.....another encouraging performance from a bloke many had written off
Dickson.....not a fan but he was clearly our best forward today

A
Jones....one step forward, three steps back
Our lack of run for two quarters
Mcinerney....how much do I hate this umpire?

ratsmac
27-04-2014, 06:03 PM
BANKERS
Dahlhaus - his endeavour got us back into the game
Wood - He is continuing to grow as a player
Boyd - he was good around the ball and his disposal went mostly to us

ANCHORS

Jong - it may be harsh but when the only reason that that he is in the team is to sit on a player and stop them from influencing the game, well he failed miserably today on Dangerfield. Patty was BOG.
Jones - did the ball have spiders on it or something. Jones was scared of it.
Griffen - sorry mate but we expect a lot more from our captain.
MaCrae - It seemed like a good idea at the time, but poor execution cost us maybe the game.
Boyd - a senior afl player running into an open goal should kick it. Or at least a point.

bornadog
27-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Jong - it may be harsh but when the only reason that that he is in the team is to sit on a player and stop them from influencing the game, well he failed miserably today on Dangerfield. Patty was BOG.

Dangerfield is also one of the best players in the AFL, Yes Jong failed to stop him, but it was a massive task. JOng also laid 6 tackles, but was never good enough.

always right
27-04-2014, 06:11 PM
Personally I don't think anyone else could have played on Dangerfield and done as well. Dangerfield was very good but not the game breaker he can be.

bornadog
27-04-2014, 06:14 PM
Bankers:

* Wood: thought he was one of our better players.
* Dahl: Better second half after having only 4 disposals to half time
* Murphy: Cool calm and collected.

Anchors:

* Midfield - all of them never looked dangerous with Dangerfield, Lynch and Thomson really showing us how to play.
* Dahl: Atrocious first half
* MC once more, on not picking another tall for the backline. I know we are hampered with injuries, but would prefer Roberts or even Williams in than trying to plug holes with Young, Jones and Stringer.

ratsmac
27-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Anchors

Jones- I've been a supporter but that was THE most weak hearted performance from a Bulldog player in my living memory. He simply refused to make any effort playing forward, then got his arse handed to him by 2 mediocre forwards. And he coughed the ball up the few times he got it. Pathetic!

Spot on, I agree 100%

ratsmac
27-04-2014, 06:34 PM
Dangerfield is also one of the best players in the AFL, Yes Jong failed to stop him, but it was a massive task. JOng also laid 6 tackles, but was never good enough.

Personally I don't think anyone else could have played on Dangerfield and done as well. Dangerfield was very good but not the game breaker he can be.

I totally agree. This is why I said it may be harsh. The anchor probably should go to the MC for selecting Jong just to play on Patty. I like Jong for his hardness but apart from that he isn't AFL standard IMO. He has a big heart but also the worst skills in the league.

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-04-2014, 07:15 PM
I totally agree. This is why I said it may be harsh. The anchor probably should go to the MC for selecting Jong just to play on Patty. I like Jong for his hardness but apart from that he isn't AFL standard IMO. He has a big heart but also the worst skills in the league.

Playing Jong on Dangerfield isn't any different than playing Wallis on Cotchin and Mark Murphy. Neither are good enough to match class opposition. You would have to question the MC today with the classic being Stringer to defence.

soupman
27-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Playing Jong on Dangerfield isn't any different than playing Wallis on Cotchin and Mark Murphy. Neither are good enough to match class opposition. You would have to question the MC today with the classic being Stringer to defence.

Macaffer is nowhere near Cotchins ability either and he seemed to do alright.

Stringer in defence (and Jones for that matter) was fine. Give him a different task which will challenge them and help us learn something about them. We now know that neither is a key defender, but there is a player we badly missed down there today that was drafted as a ruckman in Roughead, so it does work sometimes. Besides maybe this will help Stringer realise the work that's required of an AFL player and that he can't just wait for the ball over the top.

G-Mo77
27-04-2014, 07:26 PM
Bankers

Dickson - Really good today apart from a couple of bad misses.

Murphy - Terrific across HB. We are in the poo when he retires.

Boyd - Putting together some really good games

Anchors

Jones - Sorry Liam I've been a fan but that was dreadful. If he's attempting to be a statue of a forward he did a great job today and his blunders in the last cost us the win. What worries me is how he comes back from this. That chest mark drop alone will make him want to go to another planet.

Young - No good. There I said it. He's no good. Not a KPP, to slow to be a HBF. Good VFL player and we'd be better off if we left him there.

Most of the forwards - Statues.

soupman
27-04-2014, 07:37 PM
Bankers:

Boyd: Despite some customary shite kicking he was easily our best throughout the match.
Stevens: Can be haphazard with the footy but adds a physicality many in our side lack and is as good an aerial target as any of our kpp's.
Wood: The player in our side who has gone from having big question marks over his future to being someone we can be confident in being a good long term player the quickest. Really solid defensively and finally getting enough of the ball that he can start to impact games breaking lines offensively.

Anchors:

Jones: Really disappointing. His non-negotiable should be that he is also hungry and presenting. The Carlton match was a good demo of what his bad games should be like. In that match he didn't get much of the ball, but he put on defensive pressure and had a physical presence. Today he looked meek, dropped the chances that came his way and demonstrated that ruck isn't his worst position. I still have faith, but he can't afford to pull out another performance even remotely close to todays, which wa easily his worst for the club.
Our forwardline: A key reason we struggled in the middle two quarters was our forwardline or lack thereof. There was no presenting towards the ball carrier, no movement and too often they ran it out under no pressure. Guys like Crameri, Jones, Gia, Dahlhaus and Hunter let us down here.

SonofScray
27-04-2014, 07:48 PM
Hard to dish out too many Bankers today, it was as uninspiring an effort across the board you could imagine in a contest where a few straight kicks results in a win instead of a frustrating loss. Alas, here we go:

Bankers:

Cooney - ran hard, broke the lines and looked dangerous when doing so.
D-haus - kicked goals, worked his way into the game.
Wood - made key spoils and gave us some dash under adversity.

Anchors:
Jones - hurts to say it because I've been a huge backer, but that was atrocious.
Higgins - two weeks in a row he hasn't met the standard he showed early in the season.
Campbell - true to form, blazed into the game for the first 15mins and then went missing.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Higgins - two weeks in a row he hasn't met the standard he showed early in the season.

Couldn't disagree more.

We looked dangerous/got momentum when Higgins was running and receiving the football. I wanted Higgins to push forward late, but overall, I thought it was a pretty good performance. If he's an anchor, you might as well list about 19 other players.

G-Mo77
27-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Couldn't disagree more.

We looked dangerous/got momentum when Higgins was running and receiving the football. I wanted Higgins to push forward late, but overall, I thought it was a pretty good performance. If he's an anchor, you might as well list about 19 other players.

Came off with a groin injury as well, played through it but wonder if it puts him in doubt next week.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-04-2014, 08:03 PM
Bankers:

1. Cooney worked/ran hard. WTF was he doing playing on a wing though at times? Anyway, good game and response after a poor one last week.

2. Wood was excellent. Having a really good season. Very courageous, spoils well, marks well and is getting much more of the ball. Very pleased to see him playing like this.

3. Boyd made a few errors but overall was very good. Some really good handballs, smothers and tackles. Worked hard and is in good form.

Anchors:

1. Jones' game was as bad as I've seen from any player, ever. Terrible work rate is being nice, lack of football nous, poor skill execution... I'll stop there.

2. Young isn't up to AFL standard. Will have the odd good game against mediocre opposition but moving forward he's not in our best 22.

3. Gia - killed on the rebound, missed targets, and the game was simply too quick for him. Not his fault though - MC failed here again.

SonofScray
27-04-2014, 08:05 PM
Couldn't disagree more.

And i could name another 19 Anchors. But the thread dictates you get three and I am calling Higgins out for a drop in his standards across two winnable games. He always looks good with the footy because he can be a terrific player. We'd be a better side with a terrific player playing terrific football.

Today was bitterly disappointing. Who were the biggest busts of the day in your view? Like you said, plenty to choose from.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-04-2014, 08:36 PM
Today was bitterly disappointing. Who were the biggest busts of the day in your view? Like you said, plenty to choose from.

Hard to go past Jones and Young. Even early when we were playing well, the former wasn't involved and the latter looked very shaky. Minson's first three quarters were poor, Griffen's disposal was poor, Talia had some moments to forget (but we simply need to persist).

I thought we only had 5 or 6 solid contributors on the day, and McCartney seems much more upbeat in his press conference than he ought to be IMO.

SlimPickens
27-04-2014, 09:05 PM
I thought we only had 5 or 6 solid contributors on the day, and McCartney seems much more upbeat in his press conference than he ought to be IMO.

Interesting isn't it? We were the dominate team for 50 mins of footy and absolutely flogged for the other 50. I think there was plenty to be positive about, it just gets lost in the pile of turd called the second and third quarters.

Scorlibo
27-04-2014, 09:11 PM
Hard to go past Jones and Young. Even early when we were playing well, the former wasn't involved and the latter looked very shaky. Minson's first three quarters were poor, Griffen's disposal was poor, Talia had some moments to forget (but we simply need to persist).

Must have been watching a different press conference to what you did. Thought he looked absolutely devastated myself. What did you expect him to say? It's the coaches job to always stay positive, always be thinking of improving rather than lamenting.

SonofScray
27-04-2014, 09:13 PM

Agree. Young is OK when gets the ball cleanly and space opens up around him with tea mates running in support. Unfortunately, he rarely gets the ball with a clean first touch and the opportunity for him to hurt the opposition the other way gets blown.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Interesting isn't it? We were the dominate team for 50 mins of footy and absolutely flogged for the other 50. I think there was plenty to be positive about, it just gets lost in the pile of turd called the second and third quarters.

Similar trends keep occurring each week, so I'm not sure we're learning/improving. Although there have been positives in every game (minus round one), it's a story of us playing good footy in bursts but ultimately not being able to stop the opposition momentum nor show enough composure in key moments to potentially win games of footy.

So far this season the negatives have outweighed the positives.

Must have been watching a different press conference to what you did. Thought he looked absolutely devastated myself. What did you expect him to say? It's the coaches job to always stay positive, always be thinking of improving rather than lamenting.

Rightly or wrongly I don't think his reactions change from press conference to press conference, so I didn't think he looked devastated at all.

You're right it's his job to be positive, but at some point I wouldn't mind him putting some heat on the group. Nothing over the top, of course. His comments that last week was much worse than this week I don't really agree with. We did blow a 28 point odd lead in quite embarrassing fashion.

Perhaps it's just that my faith is lost.

Scorlibo
27-04-2014, 09:26 PM

I'm getting sick of this tendency in games for us to play in spurts. I'm also getting sick of hearing Brendan refer to our down patches as a 'lack of intensity' or 'lack of concentration'. It seems more likely that B-Mac's philosophy of hunkering down when things 'aren't going our way' is flawed in that it gets the whole team thinking about stopping the opposition scoring rather than scoring ourselves. It seems like every game this season has seen us obliterated at one point or another, and not with even a hint that we might score ourselves.

Rnd 1 vs West Coast: Q2-Q3 five unanswered goals.
Rnd 2 vs North: Q4 four unanswered goals.
Rnd 3 vs Richmond: Q3-Q4 five unanswered goals.
Rnd 4 vs GWS: Q1 five unanswered goals.
Rnd 5 vs Carlton: Q2 four unanswered goals.
Rnd 6 vs Adelaide: Q2-Q4 EIGHT unanswered goals.

soupman
27-04-2014, 09:31 PM
The calls on Young never being up to it are imo unfair.

He has played multiple impressive games where he has been both good defensively and a smart user of the ball. Unlike much of our defence he actually has composure when he gets the footy and is happy to assess his options while under pressure to pick the correct one. His disposal is good, while he is not quick he isn't slow and his height is an advantage as long as he doesn't have to play against the real kpp's.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-04-2014, 09:32 PM
I'm getting sick of this tendency in games for us to play in spurts. I'm also getting sick of hearing Brendan refer to our down patches as a 'lack of intensity' or 'lack of concentration'. It seems more likely that B-Mac's philosophy of hunkering down when things 'aren't going our way' is flawed in that it gets the whole team thinking about stopping the opposition scoring rather than scoring ourselves. It seems like every game this season has seen us obliterated at one point or another, and not with even a hint that we might score ourselves.

Good point you raise and that's a damning stat.

Pre-season focus was on improving our defensive game, but even throughout the pre-season we've been unable to control an opposition's swing of momentum. We also go right into our shells in the process, kicking backwards and sideways as well as pinging the ball around by hand to stationary targets. Frustrating stuff.

Mantis
27-04-2014, 09:34 PM

Agree with that.. At some point the excuses will run out.

Yes, we are a young side with inexperienced players, but so too are our opposition... We just need to get better... QUICKLY.

Scorlibo
27-04-2014, 09:39 PM
We also go right into our shells in the process, kicking backwards and sideways as well as pinging the ball around by hand to stationary targets. Frustrating stuff.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about. To stop the opposition's momentum there has to be some courage and intent to score.

Bumper Bulldogs
27-04-2014, 09:40 PM
Bankers
Boyd - Really playing well and the heart of the midfield group at the moment.
Dickson - Looked like he was running freely and back wanting to get the ball & kick goals
Stevens - I am not convinced on him totally, but today he ran and really made an effort.

Anchors
The Jones boy - Couldn't believe that he continually sat off the opposition while playing in the backline, Its really time that we look at a forward line without him, I thought Campbell gave us more today.
Gia - Sorry mate after a fantastic career you have been left behind and were so slow. Maybe the sub suits best as you are fresh when everyone is buggered.
Minson - You cant rest on last years form the first 3 quarters were shocking

Scorlibo
27-04-2014, 09:45 PM

He has played multiple impressive games where he has been both good defensively and a smart user of the ball. Unlike much of our defence he actually has composure when he gets the footy and is happy to assess his options while under pressure to pick the correct one. His disposal is good, while he is not quick he isn't slow and his height is an advantage as long as he doesn't have to play against the real kpp's.

I tend to agree. For mine, he's just so similar to Ryan Hargrave. Nice kick, generally makes good decisions, not quick but not slow either. Like Heggers, he's not overly competitive in aerial contests, even clumsy. There's a place in the side for Young, but he needs the right players around him.

MrMahatma
27-04-2014, 10:22 PM
I tend to agree. For mine, he's just so similar to Ryan Hargrave. Nice kick, generally makes good decisions, not quick but not slow either. Like Heggers, he's not overly competitive in aerial contests, even clumsy. There's a place in the side for Young, but he needs the right players around him.

He's being asked to play key position. He's not a KPP.

Some harsh calls on him I think. He's not the guy who didn't put enough effort in last week and got dropped. He's picking up Williams' slack.

He's also covering for 2 injured team mates.

GVGjr
27-04-2014, 10:28 PM

I agree, he is being asked to play as a key defender at the moment despite being recruited more as a 3rd tall and performing well at that last year. He didn't play well but I think we are judging him too harshly to say he isn't up to it.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-04-2014, 10:31 PM
I agree, he is being asked to play as a key defender at the moment despite being recruited more as a 3rd tall and performing well at that last year. He didn't play well but I think we are judging him too harshly to say he isn't up to it.

But he did play third tall for much of today though. He lined up on Lynch (although Young did shift around a bit) who is 'third tall' behind Pods and Jenkins and was poor from the get go.

GVGjr
27-04-2014, 10:38 PM
But he did play third tall for much of today though. He lined up on Lynch (although Young did shift around a bit) who is 'third tall' behind Pods and Jenkins and was poor from the get go.

My reply is more around the fact he is being judged by some as not being up to it. I believe with Morris and Roughead in the line-up Young is a very viable 3rd tall defender. Not every week but I don't mind him as a 15 game per season type player.

LostDoggy
27-04-2014, 11:08 PM
Couldn't agree more, thought he battle his guts out today. That effort on most other A graders would have been enough.

Bulldog4life
27-04-2014, 11:12 PM
My reply is more around the fact he is being judged by some as not being up to it. I believe with Morris and Roughead in the line-up Young is a very viable 3rd tall defender. Not every week but I don't mind him as a 15 game per season type player.

I agree Young can be a very good third tall defender but he needs a good 2nd tall defender and main tall defender around him playing well to show his worth. I still would like him in the team.

bornadog
27-04-2014, 11:16 PM

Lynch was just about BOG.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-04-2014, 11:21 PM
Lynch was just about BOG.

Yep, gave Young a bath.

Young has been led to the ball with ridiculous regularity over the past two weeks. It's not as though he's been beaten in a battle of strength.

Ozza
27-04-2014, 11:41 PM
Bankers-
Boyd- was terrific all game. No doubt many will focus on the time he missed a shot on goal. But he won almost every contest he was involved in, hit targets (inside 50 included) and body lined the ball many times.
Wood- possibly the best game he's played for the club.
Cooney- broke the lines and gave us spark.

Anchors-
Jones obviously had a shocker. He was definitely lost in the forward structure with Campbell/Minson being down there which left Jones in no mans land on a flank.
Gia- couldn't get involved. Probably can't have him and Dickson (and Hunter) in the same team.
Umpiring was disgraceful and bad calls shifted momentum in the game.
A crowd of 17,000 with a pretty decent contingent of crows supporters is disgraceful. How we could expect to get a Good Friday game or any other marquee fixtures when our supporters and barrackers simply don't show up.....zero atmosphere today.

Remi Moses
27-04-2014, 11:43 PM
Agree on Young . Having an okay player( Beeing nice) in Lynch cut you to pieces isn't ideal.

G-Mo77
27-04-2014, 11:46 PM
Can't see how posters can defend Young. Morris, Roughie are out, ok that hurts. Put them in Lynch still gives him a bath but at least he have the flexibility of moving Morris over. Young still is a liability after a switch. Williams got reamed by everyone last week but Young deserves some slack for his pathetic effort today and previously? I'll throw up if I see him play next week.

Remi Moses
27-04-2014, 11:47 PM
Bankers-
Boyd- was terrific all game. No doubt many will focus on the time he missed a shot on goal. But he won almost every contest he was involved in, hit targets (inside 50 included) and body lined the ball many times.
Wood- possibly the best game he's played for the club.
Cooney- broke the lines and gave us spark.

Anchors-
Jones obviously had a shocker. He was definitely lost in the forward structure with Campbell/Minson being down there which left Jones in no mans land on a flank.
Gia- couldn't get involved. Probably can't have him and Dickson (and Hunter) in the same team.
Umpiring was disgraceful and bad calls shifted momentum in the game.
A crowd of 17,000 with a pretty decent contingent of crows supporters is disgraceful. How we could expect to get a Good Friday game or any other marquee fixtures when our supporters and barrackers simply don't show up.....zero atmosphere today.
What an embarrassment ! I know there's a few here who don't rock up for various reasons, but those who can just a reminder you'll have no team to follow if you keep that p*** poor excuse up!!
Ask a fitzroy fan on what it's like to have no team to follow!

Scorlibo
28-04-2014, 12:06 AM
Can't see how posters can defend Young. Morris, Roughie are out, ok that hurts. Put them in Lynch still gives him a bath but at least he have the flexibility of moving Morris over. Young still is a liability after a switch. Williams got reamed by everyone last week but Young deserves some slack for his pathetic effort today and previously? I'll throw up if I see him play next week.

Can only speak for myself but I'm not disputing that he was awful and deserves to be dropped. I'm disputing the call that he has no future in the AFL.

G-Mo77
28-04-2014, 12:11 AM
Can only speak for myself but I'm not disputing that he was awful and deserves to be dropped. I'm disputing the call that he has no future in the AFL.

I'll dispute that. :)

Just can't see any traits to his game that will benefit us now or beyond. Aside from being a depth player I see no point in having him on the list and if he's just there for depth are we better off trying someone else?

Does anyone honestly see him best 22? Even best 25?

I don't see anything in him, never really have to be perfectly honest.

LostDoggy
28-04-2014, 12:18 AM
Bankers:
1. Wood. Good game.
2. Macrae, likewise.
3. Jones. Just in case he's reading the thread. Don't slit your wrists just yet Liam.

Anchors:
1. Stevens. Have taken to calling him The Ambulance. If there was a Champion Data stat for hospital hand balls he'd nail it week in week out.
2. Every player out there, long bombing when we're getting killed in the air. Dumb football boys.
3. Dangerfield. You're a champion, just please go away.

Would've mentioned that green bastard Mc------- but don't want to say his name. I'm angry enough.

The bulldog tragician
28-04-2014, 12:34 AM
1. Wood's form this year has been a real highlight.
2. Boyd Is having a terrific season
3. dahl's live wire second half only underscored how much he went missing in the first, but he nearly got us over the line.

Anchors:
1. Liam Jones. Ok, he's not a defender. But that was just a performance that shook my persistent faith that he will become a really valuable player one day.
2. Match committee: um, puzzling. No Morris, no extra tall? ( I actually thought Stringer initially did well on Pods, until the inevitable brute strength, height and a couple of flags began to tell). Campbell subbed off when Gia looked cooked? I don't understand.. Also why was Bonts named, then omitted?
3. Shane 'the perm' McInerney. We remember you...

Bulldog4life
28-04-2014, 12:56 AM
Bankers:
1. Wood. Good game.
2. Macrae, likewise.
3. Jones. Just in case he's reading the thread. Don't slit your wrists just yet Liam.

Anchors:
1. Stevens. Have taken to calling him The Ambulance. If there was a Champion Data stat for hospital hand balls he'd nail it week in week out.
2. Every player out there, long bombing when we're getting killed in the air. Dumb football boys.
3. Dangerfield. You're a champion, just please go away.

Would've mentioned that green bastard Mc------- but don't want to say his name. I'm angry enough.

I reckon you could have pledged your support in Jonesy in another thread rather than have him as an anchor BAS.

soupman
28-04-2014, 08:39 AM

Same. He can be dropped that's fine, but to say he has no future I think is stupid.

I'll dispute that. :)

Just can't see any traits to his game that will benefit us now or beyond. Aside from being a depth player I see no point in having him on the list and if he's just there for depth are we better off trying someone else?

Does anyone honestly see him best 22? Even best 25?

I don't see anything in him, never really have to be perfectly honest.

Have you not seen the first half of last season? Or the game against GWS?

When he has a structure around him (ie. real tall defenders that offer support) and gets to play on someone closer to his size he generally does well (not yesterday, yesterday was disappointing).

Young is one of the few composed players we have when he gets the ball, he delivers nice long kicks and is able to find the ball with something resembling regularity. Prior to the last couple of games I don't recall him being beaten badly by his opponent, and while on occasion he does lose contests too easily he also wins some he shouldn't at times.

As for not being best 22/25, our defence atm hasn't got any real depth anyway so he is in the best 25 by default regardless of whether you rate him. Certainly he is ahead of Howard, Pearce, Fuller and even JJ on current form. Talia has been just as poor in the games he has played as well and he is actually playing the position we envisage him playing for his career.

Way too early to write him off. He is capable of being a good solid player, and until we have someone demanding his spot on the list then he sticks around, because he is not the worst prospect we are paying.

G-Mo77
28-04-2014, 09:35 AM
Have you not seen the first half of last season? Or the game against GWS?

Don't go down that road. You're better than that.

When he has a structure around him (ie. real tall defenders that offer support) and gets to play on someone closer to his size he generally does well (not yesterday, yesterday was disappointing).

Young is one of the few composed players we have when he gets the ball, he delivers nice long kicks and is able to find the ball with something resembling regularity. Prior to the last couple of games I don't recall him being beaten badly by his opponent, and while on occasion he does lose contests too easily he also wins some he shouldn't at times.

As for not being best 22/25, our defence atm hasn't got any real depth anyway so he is in the best 25 by default regardless of whether you rate him. Certainly he is ahead of Howard, Pearce, Fuller and even JJ on current form. Talia has been just as poor in the games he has played as well and he is actually playing the position we envisage him playing for his career.

Way too early to write him off. He is capable of being a good solid player, and until we have someone demanding his spot on the list then he sticks around, because he is not the worst prospect we are paying.

Key word there is default. He's playing because everyone else has fallen over. He adds depth I'll grant that, so sadly if Morris doesn't get up he'll play next week, he'll probably play next week anyway. I don't see him threatening anyone if our back half his healthy and think we'd be better off drafting rather than having a player clogging the list another year or two which we tend to do more often than not.

I break it down like this. He's a defender we can't play him anywhere else. He's not a KPD and he's too slow to play off the HBF. He makes poor defensive decisions which makes him a liability in the back half. I just don't see what value he adds beyond his contract. I'm happy for him to prove me wrong and to wear "I told you so's", I'm sure I'll get a one or two before the end of season. Doubt I'll get many though.

I've seen his best and his worst, maybe I see things differently. I can't see any value in Young at all.

soupman
28-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Don't go down that road. You're better than that.

I wasn't having a go. His first half of last season was very respectable.

Key word there is default. He's playing because everyone else has fallen over. He adds depth I'll grant that, so sadly if Morris doesn't get up he'll play next week, he'll probably play next week anyway. I don't see him threatening anyone if our back half his healthy and think we'd be better off drafting rather than having a player clogging the list another year or two which we tend to do more often than not.

I break it down like this. He's a defender we can't play him anywhere else. He's not a KPD and he's too slow to play off the HBF. He makes poor defensive decisions which makes him a liability in the back half. I just don't see what value he adds beyond his contract. I'm happy for him to prove me wrong and to wear "I told you so's", I'm sure I'll get a one or two before the end of season. Doubt I'll get many though.

I've seen his best and his worst, maybe I see things differently. I can't see any value in Young at all.

Yeah I get that he isn't the bees knees, but he does have some good attributes and I obviously remain unconvinced that he is incapable of being a decent player. I guess this is the point where we agree to disagree instead of going in circles.

Mofra
28-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Bankers:
- Boyd. Yes he has his faults, but other players should take a good look at a limited footballer who simply busts his arse for 4 quarters
- Murphy. Only only gameplan in the backline seems to be give the ball to him.
- Wood. Getting some continuity in his game and gettign better as the season wears on.

Anchors:
- The use of the sub. I've found it a little baffling this year - Jones was a non-factor and we sub off Campbell, then deny he had a quad issue?
- I can forgive Jones & Young for having poor games (and Jones in particular had a shocker after a few decent games) but senior players must stand up when it counts. Gia didn't. Dickson's game playign a similar position made it all the more glaring.
- Is Libba injured? He seems to be labouring and for all his work in close he's gone backwards in run & spread and finding space

LostDoggy
28-04-2014, 10:45 AM
I reckon you could have pledged your support in Jonesy in another thread rather than have him as an anchor BAS.

It was a bit tongue-in-cheek. I could only list two bankers anyway.

Mantis
28-04-2014, 12:03 PM
- Is Libba injured? He seems to be labouring and for all his work in close he's gone backwards in run & spread and finding space

Agree in part, but his last qtr was outstanding.. He was one of our few players that was running on top of the ground late in the game.

Ozza
28-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Agree in part, but his last qtr was outstanding.. He was one of our few players that was running on top of the ground late in the game.

Libba's last quarters have been very good this year. Very common for him to have 15 or 16 touches at 3 qtr time - and finish up with 25 or 26 - and as Mantis says, he was running well and getting the footy outside as well late doors.

He is working through some pretty heavy (and increased) attention this season, and its encouraging that he isn't dropping his bundle, but rather, working through the tag to get better as the game goes on.

azabob
28-04-2014, 01:00 PM

Libba's last quarters have been very good this year. Very common for him to have 15 or 16 touches at 3 qtr time - and finish up with 25 or 26 - and as Mantis says, he was running well and getting the footy outside as well late doors.

He is working through some pretty heavy (and increased) attention this season, and its encouraging that he isn't dropping his bundle, but rather, working through the tag to get better as the game goes on.

Great observations guys. Liberatore is also one of our few physical players who will niggle and bump into the oppostion from minute one and by doing that also makes himself a target.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Smith is going to be an important inclusion for both Libba and Griffen, who aren't at their best right now. Both of these guys are getting smashed around a bit, with not a lot of support. A fit and confident Smith should help in the stoppages, as he certainly engages in physical contact.

LostDoggy
28-04-2014, 02:46 PM
Bankers:
- Boyd. Yes he has his faults, but other players should take a good look at a limited footballer who simply busts his arse for 4 quarters
- Murphy. Only only gameplan in the backline seems to be give the ball to him.
- Wood. Getting some continuity in his game and gettign better as the season wears on.

Anchors:
- The use of the sub. I've found it a little baffling this year - Jones was a non-factor and we sub off Campbell, then deny he had a quad issue?
- I can forgive Jones & Young for having poor games (and Jones in particular had a shocker after a few decent games) but senior players must stand up when it counts. Gia didn't. Dickson's game playign a similar position made it all the more glaring.

19 Uncontested possessions, 10 tackles, just 3 clearances. Noticed him work pretty hard to get the ball on the outside because he's getting scragged on the inside, and the stats appear to show that too.

Remi Moses
28-04-2014, 03:08 PM
Smith is going to be an important inclusion for both Libba and Griffen, who aren't at their best right now. Both of these guys are getting smashed around a bit, with not a lot of support. A fit and confident Smith should help in the stoppages, as he certainly engages in physical contact.

Spot on . Smith's inclusion can't come soon enough.
Just a reminder Clay is coming off a knee reco ( so let's give the guy time to adjust)

The Bulldogs Bite
28-04-2014, 03:18 PM
Spot on . Smith's inclusion can't come soon enough.
Just a reminder Clay is coming off a knee reco ( so let's give the guy time to adjust)

Yeah, it'll take some time to adjust, especially given he's just a young player himself but I'm not sure I've seen a player with more determination in the way that he plays, so if anyone can quickly readjust, it's Smith.