PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 7 vs Essendon

Eastdog
21-04-2014, 01:04 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 7 game against Essendon at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
27-04-2014, 04:06 PM
No doubt a few changes to reward in form Footscray players.

LostDoggy
27-04-2014, 04:57 PM
DROP LIAM JONES FOR 6 MONTHS. Can we trade him for someone good? Absolutely over him.

In Williams or Roberts - think Roberts may have earned a crack
In Bont or Honeychurch to get some experience

bornadog
27-04-2014, 05:03 PM
Not Sure why all the angst on Jones. The delivery to the forward line in the 2
And 3 was woeful. Then he had to play in the backline when Talia went down. He isnot a backman.

Jones was the least of our problems. Kicking 1.4 in two quarters was our issue

bulldogtragic
27-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Seeing a few of the guys on Friday night, I'd love to see Clay and Hrovat in, but they probably need another trundle at Footscray.

Ins:

Bontempelli
Honeychurch / Tutt
Morris

Outs:

Jong
Giansiracusa
Young

SlimPickens
27-04-2014, 05:09 PM
And 3 was woeful. Then he had to play in the backline when Talia went down. He isnot a backman.

Dropping a chest mark that turned in to an Adelaide goal hurt. Liam's work rate was non existent today and as such he had zero impact on the game. It was a dark day for a number of players, but Jones was certainly the worst.

Out: Jones, Stringer, Gia, Jong

In: Bontempelli, Morris, Smith and Hrovat

Bulldog4life
27-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Dropping a chest mark that turned in to an Adelaide goal hurt. Liam's work rate was non existent today and as such he had zero impact on the game. It was a dark day for a number of players, but Jones was certainly the worst.

Out: Jones, Stringer, Gia, Jong

In: Bontempelli, Morris, Smith and Hrovat

That is the main reason why I didn't like Jones's effort today.

Hotdog60
27-04-2014, 05:12 PM
I can only go by the tv coverage but it was mentioned in the first quarter that we honoured leads by the forwards. Did the leading dry up or did we stop honouring them.
Out: Jones (Sorry BAD but we need more from him than he provided today not getting his body behind that marking contest was the breaking point), Gia (He hasn't been as prominent over the last few weeks and if he's not kicking 2 or 3 then we could go with a quicker option.)
In: Williams to provide a leading option, Morris (if available)

Scorlibo
27-04-2014, 05:19 PM
In - Roberts, Morris, Williams, Tutt, Bontempelli (if he's not too 'sore').
Out - Campbell (mobility a serious concern), Young (seems to lack confidence), Jong (enough), Stevens (must do more), Jones.

Play Roberts, Morris and Talia down back.

Williams as CHF giving Will relief in the ruck. Tutt to play Stevens' role.

LostDoggy
27-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Give Jones another chance one bad game doesn't erase three reasonable ones...

Out

Jong
Stringer
Gia

In

Smith (upgrade on Jong)
Morris
Honeychurch

Mofra
27-04-2014, 05:26 PM
A lot will ride on whether Talia is ok, how Morris comes up and whether the MC think Smith is ready.

Jones & Jong obviously under pressure, perhaps Gia to spell/play as the sub as well.

F'scary
27-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Out - Campbell (mobility a serious concern), Young (seems to lack confidence), Jong (enough), Stevens (must do more), Jones.

Don't agree with dropping Stevens, he was one of our better players today. But like your other ideas.

GVGjr
27-04-2014, 05:44 PM
The Bombers can load up with talls, surely it can't just be Morris for Young. We need to add another tall defender not just even it out with a swap.

Greystache
27-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Out-Jones, Jong, Gia, Stringer

In- Roberts, Honeychurch, Tutt, Bontempelli

I don't know how the MC could have any confidence selecting Jones again after the lack of effort he put in today. It's a long way back from here for him.

Dickson playing today made the decision to carry Stringer for a month and a half look even more baffling. He's a long long way off the level.

Jong isn't ready.

Gia- He has gone on a year too long. He can't run out 2.5 quarters, and can't defend at all. He should announce his retirement and be a boundary line coach for the rest of the season

bornadog
27-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Out: Jones (Sorry BAD but we need more from him than he provided today not getting his body behind that marking contest was the breaking point),

No need to apologise, all I am saying is he wasn't the reason we lost and he isnot backman.

LostDoggy
27-04-2014, 05:54 PM
If the boys dont turn it around quick smart, the Bombers could do a real number on us. Did anyone see the first quarter against the pies?

Out: Jong, Young, Stevens, Stringer
In: Morris, Bontempelli, Honeychurch, Wallis

The Bulldogs Bite
27-04-2014, 05:59 PM
Out-Jones, Jong, Gia, Stringer

In- Roberts, Honeychurch, Tutt, Bontempelli

I don't know how the MC could have any confidence selecting Jones again after the lack of effort he put in today. It's a long way back from here for him.

Dickson playing today made the decision to carry Stringer for a month and a half look even more baffling. He's a long long way off the level.

Jong isn't ready.

Gia- He has gone on a year too long. He can't run out 2.5 quarters, and can't defend at all. He should announce his retirement and be a boundary line coach for the rest of the season

Agree with all of the above, though I did think Stringer's effort was pretty good today.

I would probably drop Young for Goodes too. I know he has been asked to play above his weight, but he's been woeful.

F'scary
27-04-2014, 06:03 PM
If the boys dont turn it around quick smart, the Bombers could do a real number on us. Did anyone see the first quarter against the pies?

Out: Jong, Young, Stevens, Stringer
In: Morris, Bontempelli, Honeychurch, Wallis

Gia before Stevens, surely?

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-04-2014, 06:26 PM

I admire your support of Jones but he was terrible today. It was a bad selection move to play either Stringer or Jones in defence.

bornadog
27-04-2014, 06:31 PM
I admire your support of Jones but he was terrible today. It was a bad selection move to play either Stringer or Jones in defence.

Given we had not promoted Roberts, and Talia going down, we had little choice. Agree selection was terrible.

always right
27-04-2014, 06:32 PM

Thought Stevens was excellent and I don't know why you would abandon the Minson/Campbell combo after one game. Thought Will was far more effective this week.
Thought Jong was respectable on Dangerfield but Smith is an upgrade.

So for me.....in Morris, Smith and Bonts. Out Jong, Young and Hunter.

azabob
27-04-2014, 06:35 PM
Did someone belt Dangerfield in the midsection at 3/4 time? I thought maybe Libba. But not certain.

bornadog
27-04-2014, 06:36 PM
Did someone belt Dangerfield in the midsection at 3/4 time? I thought maybe Libba. But not certain.

Gia, and he has possible broken rib.

Mantis
27-04-2014, 06:36 PM
Thought Stevens was excellent and I don't know why you would abandon the Minson/Campbell combo after one game. Thought Will was far more effective this week.

But Campbell was horrible... Bloody horrible.

LostDoggy
27-04-2014, 06:37 PM
No need to apologise, all I am saying is he wasn't the reason we lost and he isnot backman.

Not sure I watched the same game you did then? He was shocking all day and gifted a heart and team breaking 6 points at the wrong moment for the eb and flow. Our former captain is a hard, hard man but watch the replay and watch Boyds heart fall out of his chest. Disgraceful effort indicative of the day he had. At least Macraes stupidity can be put down to trying something and it not coming off. We could have iced this game but stupid efforts like Jones rubbish in the last were, indeed, the reason we lost.

Out: Jones, Jong, Stringer, Young
In: Williams, Smith, Bontempelli, Morris

azabob
27-04-2014, 06:37 PM
Gia, and he has possible broken rib.

So one would assume Gia is going to be suspended?

bornadog
27-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Not sure I watched the same game you did then? He was shocking all day and gifted a heart and team breaking 6 points at the wrong moment for the eb and flow. Our former captain is a hard, hard man but watch the replay and watch Boyds heart fall out of his chest. Discraceful effort indicative of the day he had. At least Macraes stupidity can be put down to trying something and it not coming off. We could have iced this game but stupid efforts like Jones rubbish in the last were, indeed, the reason we lost.

Out: Jones, Jong, Stringer
In: Williams, Smith, Bontempelli

No, one act like that doesn't lose the game, two quarters of rubbish football loses you the game.

always right
27-04-2014, 06:41 PM

Thought he looked good early and worth another shot when Will comes up against Ryder and Bellchambers next week. Needs to impact the contest more though.

Hotdog60
27-04-2014, 06:42 PM
So one would assume Gia is going to be suspended?

I wouldn't think so, just an old fashion shirt front with everything tuck in.

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-04-2014, 06:44 PM
We are simply going through the motions with our current line up. There is a need to bring in Bonts Honeychurch and Roberts plus the return of Morris and Smith. The MC needs to shake up the side. This was a very winnable game today but without Roughead and Morris down back and an inept attack we lost a golden opportunity to secure the points.
In. Bonts Honeychurch Roberts Morris and Smith
Out. Jones Jong Gia Hunter and Young.

boydogs
27-04-2014, 06:46 PM
I thought this thread would be busy after a 166 point win in the VFL and a 2 quarter performance in the seniors.

Out: Jones, Jong, Gia, Stringer, Young
In: Morris, Smith, Bontempelli, Hrovat, Honeychurch

bornadog
27-04-2014, 06:53 PM
In: Bonts, Smith, Roberts, Morris

Out: Hunter, Gia, Jong, Young

kruder
27-04-2014, 07:07 PM

Bornadog it wouldn't matter who was kicking the ball at Jones.. He simply does not present, does not want the football in his hands or area and is scared of it IMO. How can you be a forward and not present/demand it ? The kid is an average AFL footballer at best and will forever be so..

wimberga
27-04-2014, 07:10 PM
Out: Jones, Jong, Gia,
In: Morris, Smith, Bontempelli, Honeychurch

soupman
27-04-2014, 07:11 PM
Not sure I would drop Jones tbh.

He was shite, but despite what he showed today we know he is capable of much more as shown as recently as this season. We know he is not a defender, that's fine. Today we tried a forwardline with multiple talls in it, Campbell, Jones and Crameri. All of their workrates were poor, and Jones was only so much worse than the others today because he had possibly the worst quarter I've seen a "defender" play.

I'm happy to give him another week or two in the forwardline, regardless of performance. On here we all get so excited talking about the benefits of the multiple tall forwardline until it happens and doesn't go as hoped. Give it a chance to work. I'd also be inclined to give it a chance as it makes it harder for Essendon to swing one of their many key defenders forward. Unfortunately we have a track record of having average tall players look like superstars against us and I'd like to give the Bombers as few reasons as possible to remove Hurley from their defence.

Besides there is no one to bring in. Williams just got dropped for being crap and Roberts if picked will be picked for our defence.

Give Jones a few more weeks. He is capable, give him a chance to continue his generally upwards trajectory after receiving a rocket after the worst game of his career.

Scorlibo
27-04-2014, 07:12 PM

Maybe harsh on Stevens, but he definitely wasn't 'excellent' imo. That's not what excellent looks like. My reasoning is that looking through our midfield (including high half-forwards), he is the last player picked, and I prefer Gia as the sub. Could well drop Hunter instead given that he didn't offer much once on, but I feel like Lachie is more productive around the 50 than Koby.

GVGjr
27-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Out: Jones, Jong, Gia,
In: Morris, Smith, Bontempelli, Honeychurch

3 out and 4 in?

Greystache
27-04-2014, 07:21 PM

I thought he was our best big man on the day, it was a pity he was subbed out.

The expectation on Campbell seems to be much higher than on a lot of other players. I'd like to see him given as many games as possible as quickly as possible. I think he could be our number 1 ruckman next season and a dangerous forward if we can unearth a competent second ruck option.

soupman
27-04-2014, 07:23 PM
3 out and 4 in?

As good a winning tactic as any. It will help us run out games.

G-Mo77
27-04-2014, 07:29 PM
Out: Jones, Young, Jong, Campbell
Ins: Roberts, Bontempelli, Honeychurch, Morris

The bulldog tragician
27-04-2014, 07:32 PM
I thought he was our best big man on the day, it was a pity he was subbed out.

The expectation on Campbell seems to be much higher than on a lot of other players. I'd like to see him given as many games as possible as quickly as possible. I think he could be our number 1 ruckman next season and a dangerous forward if we can unearth a competent second ruck option.
Was he injured? I noticed him hobbling at one point, and on radio they said he was sporting an ice pack on his thigh.

Go_Dogs
27-04-2014, 07:45 PM
As good a winning tactic as any. It will help us run out games.

Agreed, might not be the worst thing our MC attempts for the year ;)

I always change my mind about mid-week, but at the moment I would do the following:-

Out: Jones, Gia, Stringer, Jong

In: Morris, Bontempelli, Honeychurch, Roberts

I heard Bontempelli didn't quite pull up, not sure where the leaves him, but assume he'll be right to go.

Smith, despite having a cracker in the VFL, might still be another week of resuming for the senior side, given he's a 10 year player, I prefer to allow him an additional week rather than rush him back slightly underdone. Hrovat and Tutt were also in my mind, along with JJ, but again, I'm happy to allow them all another week in the level below with an eye to bringing in a couple of them for more run soon.

Young gets a reprieve as we need to play him as a third tall defender, which we haven't been able to do yet. It's not going to be easy against the Bombers who will likely play all of Daniher, Carlisle and Bellchambers/Ryder forward at times, but we'll have to play a combination of Talia, Morris and Roberts against these guys and Young can help out, with Roberts potentially spending a bit of time forward too.

Honeychurch deserves a spot and will hopefully add some more run and tenacity to a side found wanting today.

It will put a lot of pressure on Campbell and Crameri to be our marking forwards, but along with Dickson who was good today, and Dahl/Hunter we have enough guys who should be able to win their positions in the forward line.

Greystache
Was he injured? I noticed him hobbling at one point, and on radio they said he was sporting an ice pack on his thigh.

I think he got a corked thigh. I don't know for sure that's the reason he was subbed off.

Pickenitup
In Morris Hrovat Smith Roberts
Out Jong Gia Stringer Young

Smith to be our sub we need extra Tall back for This game cause the Bombers will pick a Big side so Roberts needs to come in,

Im prepared to Give Jones another chance it was only a couple of weeks ago Jones helped us win some crucial games.

Bulldog4life
27-04-2014, 07:48 PM
I think he got a corked thigh. I don't know for sure that's the reason he was subbed off.

No it wasn't according to Macca's presser.

F'scary
27-04-2014, 08:21 PM
These days, Gia is like one of those big green olives you see in jars...he looks stuffed.

Bumper Bulldogs
27-04-2014, 10:15 PM
I like it very much, For me we have lost the hardness around the midfield.

In's
Morris, Smith, Williams

Outs
Jones - I think he really needs to earn his spot and know that the jumper means something to all us supporters
Gia - Sorry Mate its time we gave Clay 1/2 a game as a sub as we need his energy and hardness.
Hunter - I dont think the sub works for him and he just needs to develop some mongrel about him

LostDoggy
27-04-2014, 10:55 PM
After being at the game and then watching the replay I thought Stringer played maybe his best game for the club.A big ask to play on Pods and did a ok job and then moved forward and was full of running in the last quarter

LostDoggy
27-04-2014, 11:02 PM

Why Hunter, I know he did not do much but if it is true that Gia whacked Dangerfield I would think that Hunter would be his replacement.

bornadog
27-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Boyd also gave some one a whack in the head trying to bump.

Bulldog4life
27-04-2014, 11:14 PM
Boyd also gave some one a whack in the head trying to bump.

Didn't see that Bad. Who was that against?

Scorlibo
27-04-2014, 11:16 PM
Why Hunter, I know he did not do much but if it is true that Gia whacked Dangerfield I would think that Hunter would be his replacement.

Gia won't be suspended. Was a fair bump.

bornadog
27-04-2014, 11:17 PM
Didn't see that Bad. Who was that against?

Can't remember the player but it will be looked at.

Ozza
28-04-2014, 12:00 AM
I guess it's pretty predictable that most want Jones out.

I would stick with him. He's been pretty good for 4 matches previously. Do you drop him straight away after a shocker - or show some faith in the kid to turn it around? I suspect and hope- he's given the opportunity.

There's no way Gia, Dickson, Hunter, Dahlhaus all fit in one forward line- not to mention others suggested such as Honeychurch, Hrovat and Tutt. I think Gia has to miss and I hope Tutt gets another chance as we could do with his run and carry - and long kicking.

G-Mo77
28-04-2014, 12:02 AM
Can't remember the player but it will be looked at.

If it's the one I'm thinking of he'll be fine.

Ozza
28-04-2014, 12:14 AM
If it's the one I'm thinking of he'll be fine.

Yes agree. He was going in hard at the footy and from memory it spilled out between the two players as the collided- about 35 from our goal.

LostDoggy
28-04-2014, 01:09 AM
How many bloody chances does Jones get?! I hate Matthew Lloyd as a comments man - truly hate him but on this one thing I find myself convinced he is right. Jones doesn't give back what we've have given him. He is still running under marks. He still lacks presence. He doesn't want the ball. He is starting to give second efforts but still not enough. If he's not getting better under mooney and Macca I question whether he can. Lloyd doesn't think so. Nor do I. He was a liability today and had we had a different player on the field I think we might have won. You can't play 21 v 22. Doesn't work.

I would trade him for a 3rd rounder in a heartbeat. He. Is. Not. Good.
I'm cooked. Stick a temp stick in me and you'll see I'm well and truely done. Crispy fried.

We need a key forward this draft. End of rant.

soupman
28-04-2014, 08:30 AM

I would stick with him. He's been pretty good for 4 matches previously. Do you drop him straight away after a shocker - or show some faith in the kid to turn it around? I suspect and hope- he's given the opportunity.

Me too.

He played like crap but aside from Roberts who has been playing defence all season we have no one else worth trying in his role and he has shown he can perform in it. He is incredibly frustrating, but part of that is because some of the stuff he can do is so good.

always right
28-04-2014, 09:03 AM
How many bloody chances does Jones get?! I hate Matthew Lloyd as a comments man - truly hate him but on this one thing I find myself convinced he is right. Jones doesn't give back what we've have given him. He is still running under marks. He still lacks presence. He doesn't want the ball. He is starting to give second efforts but still not enough. If he's not getting better under mooney and Macca I question whether he can. Lloyd doesn't think so. Nor do I. He was a liability today and had we had a different player on the field I think we might have won. You can't play 21 v 22. Doesn't work.

I would trade him for a 3rd rounder in a heartbeat. He. Is. Not. Good.
I'm cooked. Stick a temp stick in me and you'll see I'm well and truely done. Crispy fried.

We need a key forward this draft. End of rant.

I get the disenchantment with Jone's performance yesterday....he stank it up big time. I think his previous three matches showed soem really positive signs however. His workrate and repeat efforts were up, he was clunking some solid marks, providing a target, and converting his chances. We simply must persist.

He wouldn't want to put in a non-effort like that again this week though.

Mantis
28-04-2014, 09:54 AM

Agree.. Jones was horrible, but I don't think he was helped by having Campbell in the team as he had no idea where to position himself. It will take some time to mould this new look forward-line together.. hopefully our forward-line coach knows what he is doing.

But I do believe the MC will drop Jones, the last qtr proved to me that they have had enough of him and wanted to prove a point.

Ozza
28-04-2014, 10:27 AM
I have a feeling Macca will stick with him. Listening to his press conference after the game, when one of the journo's suggested we 'obviously needed a key forward', Macca defended how they had been going the last few weeks (while acknowleging they had shockers yesterday).

G-Mo77
28-04-2014, 11:30 AM
I'm happy to leave Jones in. As I said yesterday I'm genuinely concerned how he comes back from this, best way to get his confidence on the up is show faith in him and select him again. Drop him, which is justified, it could completely destroy any confidence he has. It's a tough one.

craigsahibee
28-04-2014, 11:47 AM
I'm of the belief that we need to keep Jones in the side. As others have suggested, his confidence may have taken a hit after yesterdays game, but that's where the coaches earn their cash mid-week by getting him ready for the next game.

I can't agree with some posts suggesting that he doesn't want the ball. From what I have seen of him this year, he has thrived at jumping at the footy and busting packs creating opportunities for our ground level forwards.

Given that Essendon are likely to include Bell-Chambers after a couple of weeks back in the VFL, along with Ryder, Hooker, Hurley, Carlisle (if Bomber doesn't flick him) and Daniher, we are going to need some height.

Ins. Morris, Roberts, Bontempelli
Outs. Gia, Hunter, Young

LostDoggy
28-04-2014, 01:05 PM
Jones was absolutely disgraceful yesterday. There were reasons......Campbell and Dickson in left him a little lost imo. I have said it before, I actually think he has innate hatred of having the ball, this is because he lacks poise and awareness and he does stupid things (like hand balling to a player on a fast break who has an opponent 3 inches away!) He is happy to go for the fly to take a big grab and even shows a bit when the ball is in dispute because he is not expected to win the footy. But when he should do something he goes to water, this is why he just will not lead up the ground......He did not present at all when Campbell was in the square he needed to lead hard up the wings and be the link up but he simply didn't try!

He is obviously talented but his paranoia about making mistakes is really affecting his progress....... Go back to the two's and dominate..... Keep him on the wing and tell him to just keep presenting all day up and back, see how easy it is to get a kick when you put in a 40 metre dash.....and how much things can open up for your team when you do. Needs to get leather addiction in the ressies before coming back up to afl.

Ozza
28-04-2014, 01:10 PM
Jones was absolutely disgraceful yesterday. There were reasons......Campbell and Dickson in left him a little lost imo. I have said it before, I actually think he has innate hated of having the ball,

Did he look like he hated having the ball when he kicked 50 metre goals to put us in front in both of our wins this season?

I think its an incredible stretch to suggest that a league footballer doesn't want the footy. I'm not sure what happened when he missed the chest mark yesterday - I don't know if it was the sun, that the ball wobbled away from him or he just plain misjudged it - but what can't be disputed is that he left his man and ran at top speed to try and mark the footy.

LostDoggy
28-04-2014, 01:43 PM
In 2012 Jones looked like he had elite field kicking but was horrible in front of goal. Last year he was average-above average in both.
This year he's been very good in front of goal, but awful with field kicking. Weird.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-04-2014, 01:59 PM
I'm happy to leave Jones in. As I said yesterday I'm genuinely concerned how he comes back from this, best way to get his confidence on the up is show faith in him and select him again. Drop him, which is justified, it could completely destroy any confidence he has. It's a tough one.

It's a delicate situation and I tend to agree, especially given we have no options in the VFL anyway.

Counter argument would be how long can we persist with such severe inconsistency? His first two weeks were deplorable, his next two fantastic, last week average and yesterday pathetic.

LostDoggy
28-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Did he look like he hated having the ball when he kicked 50 metre goals to put us in front in both of our wins this season?

Obviously that's why he booted the Christ out of it!:)

I think its an incredible stretch to suggest that a league footballer doesn't want the footy. I'm not sure what happened when he missed the chest mark yesterday - I don't know if it was the sun, that the ball wobbled away from him or he just plain misjudged it - but what can't be disputed is that he left his man and ran at top speed to try and mark the footy.

In all seriousness it is a confidence thing (Maybe Dr Evil stole his Mojo), fear of failure is an almighty force. Last week Tom Williams having a shocker flatly refused to leave his man whilst another Carlton played strolled into an open goal....why? Becasue he didn't want the stat against him....suggest this was a major reason he was dropped. I like Jones but more often then not I don't see the mongrel in him that gets into open space and demands the football, and I think it's because he has a fear of making mistakes when he gets it. Yeh he might get it in spits and spurts but far too inconsistenly for mine, that's why I want him to go and learn the game again in the two's free to take the game on have some fun with his footy, without the constant threat of an iniment chastising.

I will never bag anyone for simple skill errors like that dropped mark (and I didn't), he obviously did not mean to drop it, just like Dickson didn't intend to miss that sitter, it was a pretty compelling Nike commercial that showed Michael Jordan graciously admitting he'd missed more than 9000 shots in his career, these things happen. But facets of the game that you can actively control.....namely running, following game plans, etc, they are the dissapointing things.

LostDoggy
28-04-2014, 02:14 PM
Jones worked so hard over the last month, it was frustrating to see his work rate so low now.
Also he and Campbell have no synergy, they run to the same areas and clog each others space.

Bulldog4life
28-04-2014, 05:29 PM

I was just starting to forget that pathetic effort.:eek:

Mofra
28-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Jones worked so hard over the last month, it was frustrating to see his work rate so low now.
Also he and Campbell have no synergy, they run to the same areas and clog each others space.
This is a bigger problem than any form issues - early in the game it semeed Jones was trying so hard to keep out of the way he never managed to run anywhere in the forwardline that remotely looked dangerous.

We may end up with a terrible choice to make - Tom to help Will, or Jones who is the better deep forward, but both may not be able to play together. Jones seems much more comfortable deep forward than playing higher up the ground.

neddie
28-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Please explain ???

Hotdog60
28-04-2014, 06:06 PM
This is a bigger problem than any form issues - early in the game it semeed Jones was trying so hard to keep out of the way he never managed to run anywhere in the forwardline that remotely looked dangerous.

We may end up with a terrible choice to make - Tom to help Will, or Jones who is the better deep forward, but both may not be able to play together. Jones seems much more comfortable deep forward than playing higher up the ground.

Could Tom play CHF or play back pocket. Scotty Wynd was the perfect defensive ruck.

F'scary
28-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Could Tom play CHF or play back pocket. Scotty Wynd was the perfect defensive ruck.

That is a very flattering comparison.

josie
28-04-2014, 09:00 PM
After being at the game and then watching the replay I thought Stringer played maybe his best game for the club.A big ask to play on Pods and did a ok job and then moved forward and was full of running in the last quarter

Agree with this ^^.

Out: Jones, Gia, Young, Jong

In: Morris (or Williams if Morris not fit to play), Bontempelli (or Hrovat if not fit to play, would love Smith but needs another week in two's to make sure he is ok), Honeychurch, Roberts

Hotdog60
28-04-2014, 10:58 PM
That is a very flattering comparison.

Not so much a comparison but more of a example. Relief rucks are looked at resting in the forward line as a tall option. But structurally can you have Roughead and a relief ruckman playing defence? Most likely no point if the opposition have a small setup but with the like of Essendon which may have 3 tall forwards could he play against one of them. Especially as Roughead is out. My only concern would be the mobility side of things.

FrediKanoute
28-04-2014, 11:00 PM
I haven't seen the game, so general comment. If we drop players every time they have a bad game, we are simply alienating them. I would prefer we take the approach with Jones of showing what he was doing well in rounds 2 & 3 and say - "this is the level we want you to play to, this is what you were doing wrong, go out and improve."

Its not like we are a finals team this year and a Jones that contributes is likely to be a big part of the team that is succesful in finals.

Greystache
28-04-2014, 11:03 PM

The fact that a game in which he conceded 3 goals to a 32 year old who's played 80 odd games, was delisted last year, and had kicked 6 goals in 5 games this season, can be reasonably argued as his best for the club probably goes to show how much we've carried him.

1eyedog
28-04-2014, 11:22 PM

I never get the drop him destroy his confidence comments. If dropping Jones will destroy his confidence he will never make it as an AFL player. He's a professional sports person on big coin, he'll cop it on the chin and work harder on his deficiencies.

In Morris, Tutt, Bontempelli
Out Gia, Young, Jong

always right
28-04-2014, 11:26 PM
I haven't seen the game, so general comment. If we drop players every time they have a bad game, we are simply alienating them. I would prefer we take the approach with Jones of showing what he was doing well in rounds 2 & 3 and say - "this is the level we want you to play to, this is what you were doing wrong, go out and improve."

Its not like we are a finals team this year and a Jones that contributes is likely to be a big part of the team that is succesful in finals.
Careful.....you'll be accused of condoning tanking.

LostDoggy
29-04-2014, 12:40 AM
The fact that a game in which he conceded 3 goals to a 32 year old who's played 80 odd games, was delisted last year, and had kicked 6 goals in 5 games this season, can be reasonably argued as his best for the club probably goes to show how much we've carried him.

Looking at the footywire comparison of players eligible for the rising star, he's going okay, leading the rising star goal assists category, and being right up there in contested marks and marks inside 50, despite spending time down back.
Wouldn't consider it his best game but he competed alright. His best game for us was against Collingwood last year by some margin I would've thought.

Happy Days
29-04-2014, 12:43 AM

But we need to pump games into Campbell who had been hot garbage all season until last week? String only had 2 kicked on him, and one of those was because Pods didn't chase and got lucky off a turnover. Plus he looked dangerous when he moved forward (finally played in front) and was involved in a lot of our flourishes late; should have been there the whole game. He was good.

In: Bontempelli, Morris, Tutt

Out: Jones, Young, Jong

Tutt shouldn't have been dropped, Morris is obvious and Bontempelli is dope. Young shouldn't come back in until the rest of the back 6 is healthy. Having to lock down plays to his weaknesses and totally negates any benefit he can give us.

Greystache
29-04-2014, 12:49 AM
But we need to pump games into Campbell who had been hot garbage all season until last week? String only had 2 kicked on him, and one of those was because Pods didn't chase and got lucky off a turnover. Plus he looked dangerous when he moved forward (finally played in front) and was involved in a lot of our flourishes late; should have been there the whole game. He was good.

For all the vitriol thrown at Campbell this year his form is better than Stringer's. He had to be tried in defence because he was so bad forward. 2 goals in 6 games and averaging 9 disposals says it all.

Campbell has a clear role at AFL level and has shown at times he is up to it. It's also an area of significant weakness. I've no idea what player Stringer is going to be, but from the hype some people are creating it would want to be special.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-04-2014, 01:08 AM
For all the vitriol thrown at Campbell this year his form is better than Stringer's. He had to be tried in defence because he was so bad forward. 2 goals in 6 games and averaging 9 disposals says it all.

Campbell has a clear role at AFL level and has shown at times he is up to it. It's also an area of significant weakness. I've no idea what player Stringer is going to be, but from the hype some people are creating it would want to be special.

Campbell certainly seems to be judged a lot more than other players.

Different players of course, but Campbell has shown more than Stringer and Jong to date (obviously does not mean he is/will be a better player), but it surprises me that he cops a bit when we have many inconsistent or out of form players.

G-Mo77
29-04-2014, 09:59 AM
I never get the drop him destroy his confidence comments. If dropping Jones will destroy his confidence he will never make it as an AFL player. He's a professional sports person on big coin, he'll cop it on the chin and work harder on his deficiencies.

In Morris, Tutt, Bontempelli
Out Gia, Young, Jong

Look I do agree with you there, you'd like to think that's how he would respond but everyone is different. What I saw Sunday was a player with zero confidence.

Mantis
29-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Tutt shouldn't have been dropped, Morris is obvious and Bontempelli is dope. Young shouldn't come back in until the rest of the back 6 is healthy. Having to lock down plays to his weaknesses and totally negates any benefit he can give us.

He might be dope, but he is clearly not ready physically to play in the AFL... I would prefer to pick and choose the games he plays (Melb, GC, St.K, etc) and allow him to develop his game in the VFL at other times.

Ozza
29-04-2014, 11:36 AM
He might be dope, but he is clearly not ready physically to play in the AFL... I would prefer to pick and choose the games he plays (Melb, GC, St.K, etc) and allow him to develop his game in the VFL at other times.

I'm not potting Bontempelli....but there's been an extraordinary overreaction by some to Bonts' first game - and many want him straight back in the side....after he didn't come up this week.

It was great to give him an opportunity, and I hope he gets a few more chances this season, but I agree to Mantis that he is not near physically ready.

Happy Days
29-04-2014, 11:54 AM

So wait, was he good against Carlton or not? I'm confused.

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-04-2014, 12:03 PM

Campbell is a natural ruck man being forced to play as a key forward. Until the MC is prepared to play two ruck men in Will and big Tom, Campbell's game will continue to be one of compromise. I would play Stringer as a leading forward at FF and play Campbell as the second ruck man out of the FP.

Mantis
29-04-2014, 12:11 PM
So wait, was he good against Carlton or not? I'm confused.

He was pretty good, but he isn't physically ready for the rigours of AFL footy yet... As seen by his inability to 'get-up' for our next game.

Greystache
29-04-2014, 12:19 PM
He was pretty good, but he isn't physically ready for the rigours of AFL footy yet... As seen by his inability to 'get-up' for our next game.

He was actually sore before he made his debut, it seemed strange timing to bring him in when we did. I don't think his inability to "get-up" for the next game was specifically linked to the extra demands of senior footy.

1eyedog
29-04-2014, 01:01 PM
Look I do agree with you there, you'd like to think that's how he would respond but everyone is different. What I saw Sunday was a player with zero confidence.

Yep it's going to be a tough few weeks for him. I'd leave him in too simply because he's a better player at this stage than Roberts, Cordy or Redpath.

LostDoggy
30-04-2014, 12:26 AM
All these 1st years need to go in and out of the side to recover though. It's clearly a tough tough game at their level. I vividly recall Clay's full body cramp in the 4th after just smashing out his first three quarters game 1. Bonts was good but having him in wont be a game decider. Happy for him to get 5-10 games max this year.

LostDoggy
30-04-2014, 11:52 AM
Does anyone have a theory why Stringer's kicking for goal has dropped away? Prior to us drafting him I recall he set a record in the goal kicking test and he was lauded as a beautiful kick but he has missed some easy shots this year.

jeemak
30-04-2014, 12:02 PM
Does anyone have a theory why Stringer's kicking for goal has dropped away? Prior to us drafting him I recall he set a record in the goal kicking test and he was lauded as a beautiful kick but he has missed some easy shots this year.

Noticed the same thing.

Seems between the ears to me. Much of what I've been disappointed with his game so far this year is predominantly mental application related rather than talent/skill related.

LostDoggy
30-04-2014, 01:10 PM
1. He's young.
2. He's playing in a high pressure environment.
3. Everyone gets the yips from time to time. Just look what happened to Jones last year.

always right
30-04-2014, 01:20 PM

Been really noticeable hasn't it? In the games he played last year it was a treat watching him shoot for goal. I simply wanted the ball in his hands. This season his goal kicking confidence looks shot.

LostDoggy
30-04-2014, 01:38 PM
He's been bringin the ball from left to right in his pre-drop approach. Noticed it last game.

lemmon
30-04-2014, 03:55 PM
Been really noticeable hasn't it? In the games he played last year it was a treat watching him shoot for goal. I simply wanted the ball in his hands. This season his goal kicking confidence looks shot.

I think its confidence within his whole game. Was really noticeable with him as a forward, didn't look confident he could beat his man whether on a lead or in a contest. Even when he went back on the weekend his kicking was lovely in the first quarter, Pods got a hold of him and he went back into his shell. For a guy who presents that swagger outwardly he is still finding his way in the game and I think that's getting into his head.

GVGjr
30-04-2014, 07:57 PM

Probably the pace of the game. From memory his set shot was good in the last quarter

LostDoggy
30-04-2014, 08:04 PM
Is a point from a set shot 35 out slight angle classed as good these days, or are you thinking of another player?

boydogs
30-04-2014, 08:06 PM
For a guy who presents that swagger outwardly he is still finding his way in the game and I think that's getting into his head.

Something tells me he is shitting his pants over becoming a Father

G-Mo77
30-04-2014, 09:36 PM
Something tells me he is shitting his pants over becoming a Father

Who hasn't? Doubt that's got anything to do with it at all.

Happy Days
30-04-2014, 09:41 PM
Who hasn't? Doubt that's got anything to do with it at all.

Yeah but at 20? I'm older (ew) than Jake is now and my biggest worry is whether to shell out for a pouch of Port Royal or save the money for beer.

I think it would play on his mind a little.

wimberga
01-05-2014, 07:32 PM
Williams, Morris, Johannisen, Bontempelli in for Giansiracusa, Campbell, Young, Jong.

bornadog
01-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Williams, Morris, Johannisen, Bontempelli in for Giansiracusa, Campbell, Young, Jong.

Why drop Campbell

soupman
01-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Don't know how JJ has earnt his spot ahead of Tutt.

Williams is named forward btw.

No Bellchambers for the Dons, Goddard and Hocking come back in. Luckily we also get to play Carlisle back into form.

bornadog
01-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Loved to have seen Smith in, but I think he can do with another week in VFL

LostDoggy
01-05-2014, 07:42 PM
I can't believe Williams is back in.

But I guess if we are trying him forward he can't do much worse than Campbell last week.

Mofra
01-05-2014, 07:43 PM
Big call to drop ("rest") Gia, although he didn't do much last week.

MC not afraid to swing the axe this year

Remi Moses
01-05-2014, 07:46 PM
What have liked Smith back for Lin.
Roberts instead of Tom W, and Tutt instead of JJ
Good to see Bontempelli back.

GVGjr
01-05-2014, 07:52 PM
I think the changes are good ones. Hrovat and Smith get another week in the VFL and should be pushing hard for selection next week
Tutt won't be far off it as well

Starting to get a little concerned about Morris.

Hotdog60
01-05-2014, 07:55 PM
I think the changes are good ones. Hrovat and Smith get another week in the VFL and should be pushing hard for selection next week
Tutt won't be far off it as well

Roberts is down for emergency so if Dale has a setback he may get the nod.

Go_Dogs
01-05-2014, 07:59 PM

You don't think he'll actually play?

I'm only surprised by the Campbell omission, I know he lacked a bit of consistency on the day, but would have preferred we persist with him instead of Williams. That said, I'm glad to see Williams named forward and assume we'll use him in the ruck to provide a chop out for Will.

GVGjr
01-05-2014, 08:19 PM
You don't think he'll actually play?

I'm only surprised by the Campbell omission, I know he lacked a bit of consistency on the day, but would have preferred we persist with him instead of Williams. That said, I'm glad to see Williams named forward and assume we'll use him in the ruck to provide a chop out for Will.

Not really, he should be okay but the emergency bench got me thinking.

GVGjr
01-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Any chance that Picken will move into a defensive midfield role? Our better taggers or run with players in Wallis, Smith and Jong aren't playing.

G-Mo77
01-05-2014, 08:29 PM
Interesting changes, I like them.

We need a bit of JJ's dash, hopefully he's ready to roll. He's seemed out of sorts so far this season.

Morris a no brainer, sorely missed.

Welcome back to Bonts.

Williams back, would have preferred Roberts but looks like he'll be in the forward half.

Happy with the omissions.

Campbell out is surprising, it just seems to be one of those situations that we may struggle to play both Will and him in the side.

Young was pitiful, Jong needs to dominate some VFL games and it won't hurt Gia to have a spell.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Why drop Campbell

I am disappointed to see Campbell out which is more to do that the MC is reluctant to use big Tom in tandem with Minson. I personally would have liked to see Stringer played as a leading FF leaving Campbell to change with Will in a FP. Williams doesn't appeal as a forward and change ruckman given that he doesn't have the skills to play as a ruck man. JJ was good last year until injured and will add badly needed pace. The return of Morris will help stiffen the defence. With no recognized tagger in the team I would like to see our best player Griffen go head to head with Watson in the middle. I am pleased Bontempelli returns as we need to find new talent to improve our stocks. I would have preferred Roberts to Williams who I believe has more upside and needs to be tried given our lack of tall talented players.

bornadog
01-05-2014, 10:05 PM
Big call to drop ("rest") Gia, although he didn't do much last week.

MC not afraid to swing the axe this year

Not really, if you watched "On The Couch" the agreement with Gia is some weeks he won't play, some weeks he will be sub and others he gets a full game. So no surprise there at all.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-05-2014, 10:19 PM
Campbell getting dropped after one week for the second time already this season is very, very, very stiff.

At least Williams won't play down back.

Rocco Jones
01-05-2014, 10:25 PM
Campbell getting dropped after one week for the second time already this season is very, very, very stiff.

Normally I would agree but he has been absolutely horrid in his two games. Not as in normal horrid, as in complete and utter liability horrid.

F'scary
01-05-2014, 10:33 PM

Sounds like a prayer. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhmen.

jazzadogs
01-05-2014, 10:39 PM
Were they all omitted, or were injuries involved? Mentions of Campbell with ice on his thigh after being subbed, perhaps that is the reason for him being replaced.

G-Mo77
01-05-2014, 10:56 PM
Were they all omitted, or were injuries involved? Mentions of Campbell with ice on his thigh after being subbed, perhaps that is the reason for him being replaced.

All named in the VFL squad so they're all omitted.

Rance Fan
01-05-2014, 11:37 PM
If Williams is up forward I hope he doesnt stuff up Jones' game!

bornadog
01-05-2014, 11:49 PM
If Williams is up forward I hope he doesnt stuff up Jones' game!

Whats the bet he plays down back with Essendon loading up with talls

DragzLS1
02-05-2014, 01:45 AM
This is good imo. Pick en can tag as jj goes back. Williams can drop back into defence instead of Jones or stringer. Morris in. I'm liking what I see

GVGjr
02-05-2014, 02:27 AM

I'm not so sure about that.

Mantis
02-05-2014, 09:26 AM
Lots of 'yo-yo' decisions this year.. After being a stable MC over the past 2 seasons we are pretty quick to make a change to search for our best 22.. Tough decisions are being made, but it seems we are very quick to change our minds... Perhaps its just for particular match-ups, perhaps I'm reading too much into it.. will be intersting to see how it plays out.

Ozza
02-05-2014, 09:41 AM
I think the changes look good in terms of structure. As much as he's been horrible, in the absence of Roughead - we need Tom's 196cms to match up with any (or all of at different stages) - Daniher, Ryder, Carlisle.

Think our forward structure will be better this week as a result of the changes. Tutt is stiff to miss if JJ is coming back in to play a wing/half forward role.

DISHLICKERS
02-05-2014, 12:01 PM
MC has me confused.

Dropping Williams for one week what is that supposed to achieve?

We needed him last week when with no Morris to take Pods or Jenkins.

Selections are as confusing as the season has been.

bornadog
02-05-2014, 12:15 PM
MC has me confused.

Dropping Williams for one week what is that supposed to achieve?

We needed him last week when with no Morris to take Pods or Jenkins.

Selections are as confusing as the season has been.

Assuming Williams plays forward, we need another tall in the backline. If Williams plays back, then the forward line needs another tall?

LostDoggy
02-05-2014, 12:36 PM
The question is.. Who does Morris actually play on this week?

Does he play on either Goddard/Watson when they are forward? Or does he go to Carlisle?

I can't see us have any hope of competing in the air without Williams playing down back.

We are still a tall short, if we don't lower our eyes going forward we will get slaughtered by Hooker, Fletcher, Hurley, Hibberd and co.

These 2 Essendon forwards are perfect match ups for Roughy. Dang it.

DISHLICKERS
02-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Assuming Williams plays forward, we need another tall in the backline. If Williams plays back, then the forward line needs another tall?

I would almost say that we are two talls short.

Jones in the ruck is a joke. When Wil needs a break we are comprimising Jones. Playing Jones on Pods last week is stupidity.

Again I say at the Bulldogs we do not value playing guys for their size.

Eastdog
02-05-2014, 01:18 PM
I can't believe Williams is back in.

But I guess if we are trying him forward he can't do much worse than Campbell last week.

I thought Campbell was ok in our forward line last week. In that first quarter last week against the Crows I thought he was great. Great to have Morris back in the side. His experience in the backline for us is critical. Also good seeing Bonts get a go. Who will play full forward this week? Who's our best option there.

G-Mo77
02-05-2014, 01:43 PM
I've seen a few saying Tutt is unlucky. Honeychurch is the unlucky one. Non playing emergency last week and now is back in the VFL. I was almost certain he'd play this week.

Mofra
02-05-2014, 01:46 PM
I've seen a few saying Tutt is unlucky. Honeychurch is the unlucky one. Non playing emergency last week and now is back in the VFL. I was almost certain he'd play this week.
Big call to debut after having a week off the previous week. Maybe he'll get his chance soon, but I assume it will be immediately after a good VFL performance.

Ozza
02-05-2014, 02:07 PM

I think the reason a few of us have said Tutt is unlucky - is in regards to the comparison to JJ getting a game. After Tutt had come in and played a really good 2.5 quarters as a sub - and not been in the frame since. Whereas JJ was very poor in his senior games.

I'm sure Honeychurch will get his opportunity soon - but his role would be forward, whereas JJ will be on a wing I'd assume.

G-Mo77
02-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Could be right there Ozza. I know he'll get a chance at some point. I don't like the idea of just sitting a kid because he may get a game if there is a late injury when we could have just played him in the VFL.

In regards to JJ we need him badly. I saw some great signs last week, it was against horrid opposition but you could just see his confidence rise each quarter. By the 4th he looked like a class above the rest. Hopefully he's booming with confidence and see the JJ pre Cameron cheap shot.

Nuggety Back Pocket
02-05-2014, 11:00 PM
Lots of 'yo-yo' decisions this year.. After being a stable MC over the past 2 seasons we are pretty quick to make a change to search for our best 22.. Tough decisions are being made, but it seems we are very quick to change our minds... Perhaps its just for particular match-ups, perhaps I'm reading too much into it.. will be intersting to see how it plays out.

Injuries to Roughead Morris Grant Smith and Hrovat has shown up our lack of depth which was evident in the losses to North Carlton and Adelaide. Without Roughead the lack of a quality goal to goal line plus we have lacked for the most part the strong influence of Minson Griffen and Liberatore who were dominant last year in the midfield.