PDA

View Full Version : 2014 AFL - Round 6 Discussion

Eastdog
24-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Round 6 Fixture

Date Home vs Away Venue AEST Local TV

Fri 25 Apr Collingwood v Essendon MCG 2:40pm 2:40pm Seven

Fri 25 Apr St Kilda v Brisbane Lions Westpac Stadium 5:45pm 7:45pm Foxtel

Fri 25 Apr Fremantle Dockers v North Melbourne Patersons Stadium 8:40pm 6:40pm Seven

Sat 26 Apr Gold Coast Suns v GWS Giants Metricon Stadium 1:40pm 1:40pm Foxtel

Sat 26 Apr Carlton v West Coast Eagles Etihad Stadium 4:40pm 4:40pm Foxtel

Sat 26 Apr Melbourne v Sydney Swans MCG 7:40pm 7:40pm Seven

Sun 27 Apr Western Bulldogs v Adelaide Crows Etihad Stadium 1:10pm 1:10pm Foxtel

Sun 27 Apr Richmond v Hawthorn MCG 3:20pm 3:20pm Seven

Sun 27 Apr Port Adelaide v Geelong Cats Adelaide Oval 4:40pm 4:10pm Foxtel

Go_Dogs
24-04-2014, 02:16 PM
I'll be going along for the game tomorrow, looking forward to it having never been to an ANZAC Day game before.

Eastdog
24-04-2014, 02:22 PM
I'll be going along for the game tomorrow, looking forward to it having never been to an ANZAC Day game before.

Must be great now Griffen#16 being in Melbourne now to go to the footy. Are you close to the city. Should be a cracking match tomorrow. They are expecting full capacity.

azabob
24-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Should be a cracking match tomorrow. They are expecting full capacity.

Besides that game only the Port V Geelong game would hold any interest for neutral supporters.

Go_Dogs
24-04-2014, 03:48 PM
Besides that game only the Port V Geelong game would hold any interest for neutral supporters.

Agreed, not a great round although Carlton v West Coast might be a better game now than it looked like a couple of weeks ago.

bornadog
24-04-2014, 04:54 PM

I hope you enjoy the day.

I would never ever go to this match as I don't believe we should be just gifting such a match to just two clubs. They will pocket hundreds/thousands , increase their profiles and exposure and gain more members. So wrong.

Bulldog Joe
24-04-2014, 05:52 PM

I would never ever go to this match as I don't believe we should be just gifting such a match to just two clubs. They will pocket hundreds/thousands , increase their profiles and exposure and gain more members. So wrong.

It is so obvious and they do not want this recognised in the Equalisation debate. Meanwhile we get shafted around on games that people can't get too and then are looked down on because we can't build membership.

Very Chicken and Egg problem.

Bulldog Joe
24-04-2014, 05:54 PM
Just on the footy, I am expecting Brisbane to do much better against the Saints.

St Kilda are getting ahead of themselves based on results so far. They have been greatly assisted by a soft draw and caught Essendon after they were effectively cooked 6 days earlier in Perth.

St Kilda off a second 6 day break.

bornadog
24-04-2014, 06:29 PM
It is so obvious and they do not want this recognised in the Equalisation debate. Meanwhile we get shafted around on games that people can't get too and then are looked down on because we can't build membership.

Very Chicken and Egg problem.

Yep 20 years of exposure = big memberships.

bornadog
24-04-2014, 06:29 PM
Just on the footy, I am expecting Brisbane to do much better against the Saints.

St Kilda are getting ahead of themselves based on results so far. They have been greatly assisted by a soft draw and caught Essendon after they were effectively cooked 6 days earlier in Perth.

St Kilda off a second 6 day break.

Will NZ make a difference?

Remi Moses
24-04-2014, 06:35 PM
Think Brisbane are a good chance.

Bulldog Joe
24-04-2014, 07:26 PM
Will NZ make a difference?

Unknown, but the extra travel does make it more difficult for a team on a 6 day break.

Bulldog4life
24-04-2014, 08:07 PM

Agree on increasing their exposure but according to Channel 7 news tonight the profits from the match are divided between all Clubs. I wasn't aware of this myself.

Remi Moses
25-04-2014, 08:12 PM
As they should be.
You can't have caviour and tell the rest to eat pie.
Tremendous fight back from Collingwood, the usual suspects Swan Pendlebury.
Steele Sidebottom gets under the radar, he is a super footballer.

azabob
25-04-2014, 08:34 PM
As they should be.
You can't have caviour and tell the rest to eat pie.
Tremendous fight back from Collingwood, the usual suspects Swan Pendlebury.
Steele Sidebottom gets under the radar, he is a super footballer.

Sidebottom was best on ground for mine. Got them back in the game.

Twodogs
25-04-2014, 09:52 PM
Good call on Brisbane from earlier.

jeemak
26-04-2014, 12:22 AM
Norf. Good effort.

bulldogtragic
26-04-2014, 12:23 AM
Norf. Good effort.

I think we played them into form!

bornadog
26-04-2014, 01:02 AM
I think we played them into form!

Yes, just like Carlton the media really scrutinized them for an insipid performance against the Bombers. We have coped it twice now.

Remi Moses
26-04-2014, 02:05 AM
Thoroughly deserved win from Brissie.
Didn't see the game, but they lead throughout.
Put to rest some media nonsense on Stkilda Beeing the next Port Adelaide.
Saw the second half of the norf game, and they were superb.
Had more numbers at the contest and pushed an extra back on Pav ( they kicked to him to often)
Freo are treading water , and their skill level and confidence is shot.

Remi Moses
26-04-2014, 02:07 AM
Yes, just like Carlton the media really scrutinized them for an insipid performance against the Bombers. We have coped it twice now.

We've copped it twice, but it's time our club rose above that nonsense.

Hotdog60
26-04-2014, 09:10 AM
We've copped it twice, but it's time our club rose above that nonsense.

Agree, we knew they were under the pump and we should have came out with more fire than they could produce. We gave them belief early and then let them control the game.

We needed to bring the contested game first and then the flowing game after we were in control of the clinches.

Sorry this is the wrong thread, just got carried away.

Bulldog Joe
26-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Thoroughly deserved win from Brissie.
Didn't see the game, but they lead throughout.
Put to rest some media nonsense on Stkilda Beeing the next Port Adelaide.
Saw the second half of the norf game, and they were superb.
Had more numbers at the contest and pushed an extra back on Pav ( they kicked to him to often)
Freo are treading water , and their skill level and confidence is shot.

The results so far highlight some inequities in the fixture.

St Kilda got a win over Essendon, who were cooked from the Perth game and then a 6 day break. Essendon also dropped off against Collingwood with another 6 day break.

St Kilda then couldn't get over Brisbane, who won't win many, but even for them it was a second 6 day break.

Freo from the Essendon game in the heat have also had consecutive 6 day breaks and been way below expectations.

Unfortunately, we seem to always be on the wrong side of these situations.

bulldogtragic
26-04-2014, 04:11 PM
Ablett put in a contender for goal of the year. I don't really, really like any opposition players, but I could watch Ablett every day of the week.

chef
26-04-2014, 08:17 PM
What a finish to the Blues/Eagles game.

Eastdog
26-04-2014, 08:27 PM
What a finish to the Blues/Eagles game.

Blues get over the line by 3 points. Sets up a big match next Friday between Carlton and Collingwood.
The Suns too good for the Giants at Metricon today.

bulldogtragic
26-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Watching Cross in another teams colours is so wrong, it's just not right. I know like whatever, but it reminds me of Hawkins playing for Fitzroy.

As to the game, that 15 minutes from Melbourne was manic, shame for them they are down a few KPPs.

Remi Moses
26-04-2014, 10:52 PM
Crossy's kicking is still average though. Watched only the first half of Carlton, and theylooked good when they moved the ball quickly. Look decidedly average when playing slow possession.
Eagles don't bat deep enough in the midfield.

bornadog
26-04-2014, 11:59 PM
Gold Coast now 4 wins 2 losses

Go_Dogs
27-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Gold Coast now 4 wins 2 losses

They've had a relatively easy run so far though, with their wins coming against teams that they won't be competing for finals spots against in Richmond, Brisbane, Melbourne and the Giants, whilst being belted by Hawthorn and Freo. They may play finals this year, but are still a Dixon/Day/Lynch (probably 2 of) stepping up as consistent key forwards away from being a genuine contender.

Their midfield bats deep though and needs to be raided by other clubs before too long.

Scorlibo
27-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Ablett put in a contender for goal of the year. I don't really, really like any opposition players, but I could watch Ablett every day of the week.

I think he gets a little bit better every year. I can't wait until he plays as a full-time forward, that's where he does his best work. His play around the stoppages is only average by comparison. Reckon he could pull a Brad Johnson and kick 70 goals as a forward once he gets there.

Go_Dogs
27-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Port are such an impressive side these days. I only caught a bit of the game, but they must be the most exciting team in the competition to watch.

Remi Moses
27-04-2014, 08:27 PM
What an incredible story Port are.
Didn't see the game, but the turnaround is epic

Mantis
27-04-2014, 09:27 PM
What an incredible story Port are.

They are.. It's a bit (very) depressing comparing their story to ours.

They play an attractive brand of footy, are attracting big crowds and have an ever growing memberships which is helping to ensure they have a strong future.. We don't.

Scorlibo
27-04-2014, 09:58 PM
They've such incredible talent running through their midfield.

Wines, Boak, Hartlett, Polec, Wingard, Ebert. Picks 7, 5, 4, 4, 6 and 13 respectively in the draft (not that this is always a good indication but gee haven't they recruited well with their first picks/poached Ebert and Polec at the right time).

Barring Cornes, Cassisi and Shulz, every one of their players who played tonight is 27 years old or less. We might be witnessing the beginning of a very prosperous period for Port.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-04-2014, 10:36 PM
Great team to watch are Port. Very tough, hard working/gut running team orientated side. Hard to find too many faults in them right now.

Geelong won't lose any sleep all the same. Due a loss, especially after the big win v Hawthorn.

Bulldog4life
27-04-2014, 11:17 PM
Port play a cracking type of footy. Irrespective of where the previous game was or whether it is a 6 day break or whatever it doesn't effect them at all.

Remi Moses
27-04-2014, 11:34 PM
They are.. It's a bit (very) depressing comparing their story to ours.

They play an attractive brand of footy, are attracting big crowds and have an ever growing memberships which is helping to ensure they have a strong future.. We don't.
Yep true, but to be fair we were playing good footy for a few years when they were in the doldrums.
They've been frightfully bad from 08 to 12