PDA

View Full Version : AFL footballers that you have played with or against?

Dry Rot
26-10-2007, 01:13 PM
We have a former an AFL umpire on here, so I was wondering if anyone has played with or against any AFL/VFL footballers over the years?

Maybe it was in the juniors or when they were in their twilight playing days. Anyone claim any good scalps, or did they clean you up?

LostDoggy
26-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Against Mickey Martyn is grade 5 and 6. Scary even then.

Mantis
26-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Played against Shannon Grant in on under 10's or 11's and played on Shane Crawford while at high school.

We tagged Crawford with 4 different players (1 qtr each) with our 4 fittest blokes and he still racked up about 50 possessions, he was a machine.

Twodogs
26-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Grew up around the corner from Rohan Smith. We used to have our street footy games and test matches in his street and he'd ride his bike up and down waiting for an invitation to play-he was quite a bit younger than the rest of us. Anyhoo one day we did let him play, and it was only the once, because we didnt like being showm up by a kid.:D

Played juniors cricket against a club that had Merv Hughes, Tony Dodemaide and Colin Miller playing for them. I gave one of them a send off after catching him in the slips and when it came my turn to bat I made the luckiest duck I ever got. Later on played against Ken Eastwood in open age and he was good!

A couple of years ago we were playing the second day against a team who had to play a player short because one of their guys had an accident during the week and couldnt play. They asked if they could field a sub and we agreed. This guy walks out to fist slip and I think "That guy looks familar". It was Julian Weiner.

The Coon Dog
26-10-2007, 01:54 PM
I went to Tottenham North P.S. & in grade 6 we won the Grand Final. Our team had Darren Brown, Zeno Tzatzaris & Phillip O'Keefe in it. All 3 played for the Bulldogs.

Sockeye Salmon
26-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Does anyone remember Grenville Dietrich?

He was this enormous man who played FF for Nth Adelaide and a few state games for SA.

About 6' 4" but made Mick Nolan look positively skinny!

He played cricket for Kilsyth (the SA one, not the one near Bayswater) and surprisingly was actually a fairly good keeper.

He really liked a drink and whenever we played at our ground we had to kick him out to lock up. Really nice bloke.

I bowled terrible leg spin (long before Warnie) that Grenville didn't rate - he told me so often enough - and vowed to hit me for 6 first ball he faced every time we played. Three times running he tried and got caught on the boundary.

We played them one year the day after his wife had a baby and he turned up to the ground with a can of Jim Bean. He was so pissed he had to be lined up at the crease to bat. He admitted that he wouldn't be trying to hit me for six because he wasn't travelling too well.

Instead, with a long pace forward and with an upright left elbow, he managed to defend the first ball straight back to me.

In 4 games I played against him I got him out for a duck 4 times.

Twodogs
26-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Was Grenville Dietrich the one who missed a SANFL game because he was having trouble balancing his pizza and a six pack while riding his pushbike and had an accident?

whythelongface
26-10-2007, 02:40 PM
I played against Sanford Wheeler about 10 years ago in the SFL - not my direct opponent but got completely owned nonetheless. He was an average AFL player but the gap between himself and others was significant.

Sockeye Salmon
26-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Was Grenville Dietrich the one who missed a SANFL game because he was having trouble balancing his pizza and a six pack while riding his pushbike and had an accident?

Yep. True story, too.

GVGjr
26-10-2007, 03:01 PM
I played against Sanford Wheeler about 10 years ago in the SFL - not my direct opponent but got completely owned nonetheless. He was an average AFL player but the gap between himself and others was significant.
Wheeler just had no consistency. At his best he was capable of being a capable senior footballer.

Twodogs
26-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Jusr remembered another one.

Footscray High enetered the Herald Shield comp one year and we drew Totty Tech (IIRC) in the first round and pumped them by 10 goals. We got some nondescript Catholic school from Sunshine none of us had ever heard of and we were thinking 'how many goals'. The winner got to play a game at VFL as a curtain raiser for the old VFL night series. They beat us by 25 goals. A big monster called Allaistar Ford (or it might have been Mark Noble-I always mix them up) kept marking the balls that some kids called MacPherson, apparantly they were brothers, kept pumping the into the goal square from the half back flank.

The Catholic school lost to Assumption in the semi finals.

The Coon Dog
26-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Jusr remembered another one.

Footscray High enetered the Herald Shield comp one year and we drew Totty Tech (IIRC) in the first round and pumped them by 10 goals. We got some nondescript Catholic school from Sunshine none of us had ever heard of and we were thinking 'how many goals'. The winner got to play a game at VFL as a curtain raiser for the old VFL night series. They beat us by 25 goals. A big monster called Allaistar Ford (or it might have been Mark Noble-I always mix them up) kept marking the balls that some kids called MacPherson, apparantly they were brothers, kept pumping the into the goal square from the half back flank.

The Catholic school lost to Assumption in the semi finals.

Chisolm College. Not Alistair Ford.

aker39
26-10-2007, 04:45 PM
I went to St Bernards in Essendon.

In my year Level their were Leigh Tudor, Peter Filandia, John Barnes, Justin Stubbs (who was meant to be a gun, but I don't think he played a senior game for Essendon)

FrediKanoute
26-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Steve Kretiuk - went to school with him and played junior footy with hims as well up until u'17's. He played 1 game with us that year, dominated and then went and played under 19's with Footscray! Top bloke very unassuming!

Steve Kolyniuk - went to the same school, though he was a bit older, but we all knew him and he was destined to be a star even as a kid. He would come down to St.Albans games when he didn't have a game or was injured as well so knew him reasonably well. Was a top bloke!

Mark Mecuri - went to school with him and played schol footy with him. he was a freak. Injuries really ruined the latter party of his career, but he was a freak. I remember one game the coach balls him out at 1/4 time b/c of his crappy kicking and he acknowledges the coach and promised to stop kicking on his non-preferred foot! In another game he spent to whole time trying to take mark of the century and very nearly succeeded!

Joe Misiti - played a season at Keilor park and Joe at this stage was training with Essendon u'19's, though he was still u'16's. Anyway he came back for a game against St.Oliver's and proceeded to destroy them kicking 13 goals in a half!

I think that's it for me.....

LostDoggy
26-10-2007, 11:16 PM
Well of course being a girl i havent played on ANY of them, but Brian Cordy is my teacher and Ayce Cordy, went to school with him and now work with him. Funny, funny kid.
Oh, and 6''7!

Sockeye Salmon
27-10-2007, 12:29 AM
Well of course being a girl i havent played on ANY of them, but Brian Cordy is my teacher and Ayce Cordy, went to school with him and now work with him. Funny, funny kid.
Oh, and 6''7!

GABI!

Fill us in! Is he going to play football or basketball? Is he keen to play for us? Has he put on any weight at all?

The Underdog
27-10-2007, 09:41 AM
I played a year or two in juniors with Jason Snell, former Geelong player who destroyed his ankle at the G and never played again. Obviously was a gun junior in our league. Kicked 20 one day, although I kicked 8 once so it probably says more for some of the opposition we played. Heard from my mum recently that his ankle is completely rooted, had to have it fused and is in constant pain.
My U18's coach was Damien Hardwick's dad, although Damien was a bit older and had moved on to other levels by then. Was a brilliant coach and I can see if Damien's got some of his old man's traits how he's risen up the coaching ranks so fast. His old man had excellent coach white line fever, not in a bad way, but he would get right into it during his addresses.

bornadog
27-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Played in the high school footy team with a couple of the boys who went on to play for the old reserves team from my high school and one went on to play a few games (Steele) for the firsts. Ken Fletcher was our PE teacher for a little while, and we had a few Carlton players in the 1970's as teachers as well.

dog town
28-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Played junior footy with James Kelly and Andrew Welsh. Played against Brent Reilly, Matty Egan, Aaron James (last season before he got suspended), Daniel Sipthorpe and a few other lesser lights.

The junior sides that used to play before me had Cam Wight and Matt White (richmond) playing for them so I saw a fair bit of them as juniors. Saw plenty of Brad Murphy and Matt Little (recently delisted by Hawthorn) around the junior games as well.

Almost played with ex bulldog Nick Bruton last year but his knees blew up as soon as he trained so he couldn't play.

Some of the local leagues at the moment have dozens of ex AFL players. A couple of my mates played in the Essendon League a few years ago and every week they would be up against an ex star or recently delisted player.

Crizza
28-10-2007, 02:52 PM
A few years ago at Uni games I played footy aginst David Teague, it was uni games just after he had left North.

He did alright in the game but did one almighty spew in the middle of the ground after 5 minutes of playing, not sure if it was nerves from playing against me or the booze the night before.

I played one game against Ted Richards, and the only reason I remember him was becasue everytime he did anything with the footy (which was alot) someone on the sideline would yell 'Teddy Richards you superstar'.

BulldogBelle
28-10-2007, 09:39 PM
The first year I started playing at uni [74] we played v Melbourne's Steve Smith [Law faculty I think] - think he was a chb and pretty good player. We won the flag tho!

mjp
29-10-2007, 09:37 AM
I have played with and against quite a few, but the day I found out about my future in footy was on a State Schoolboys tour in the late '80's. We played South Australia first up, and I was playing on a wing against a smallish aboriginal player - which was strange because not too many indigenous boys get a guernsey over there (you would have thought that would have been a tip off, now wouldn't you).

Anyway, the ball came out there pretty soon and I actually got a couple of touches and was thinking 'how good am I'. But by the 20minute mark of the first quarter, the worm was turning, and by the 15 minute mark of the second quarter I was on the bench (it was a BENCH back then - there was no need to add the word 'interchange' to the start of it). The only positive (if it can be seen as a positive) was that my removal led to another lamb was being slaughtered.

Anyone care to guess who it might have been? (It isn't that hard!)

Mantis
29-10-2007, 09:39 AM
I have played with and against quite a few, but the day I found out about my future in footy was on a State Schoolboys tour in the late '80's. We played South Australia first up, and I was playing on a wing against a smallish aboriginal player - which was strange because not too many indigenous boys get a guernsey over there (you would have thought that would have been a tip off, now wouldn't you).

Anyway, the ball came out there pretty soon and I actually got a couple of touches and was thinking 'how good am I'. But by the 20minute mark of the first quarter, the worm was turning, and by the 15 minute mark of the second quarter I was on the bench (it was a BENCH back then - there was no need to add the word 'interchange' to the start of it). The only positive (if it can be seen as a positive) was that my removal led to another lamb was being slaughtered.

Anyone care to guess who it might have been? (It isn't that hard!)

Wanganeen?

mjp
29-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Wanganeen?

Yep. Told you it wasn't hard. He is two years younger than me as well (and the rest of us) and we found out later that he had to be granted special permission to play...

Stupid administrators - couldn't they have let him continue making a mess of his own age group, without needing to unleash him on another one?

On a positive note, we still beat SA and Tassy (who were apparently still relevent back then - it is a disgrace what has happened to footy down there) but lost to Victoria - this was pre- Vic Country/Metro split.

Rocket Science
29-10-2007, 04:31 PM
Laced them up alongside Shannon Corcoran and Robert Bloom at high school.

Placements were arranged for both at my then school after being drafted by the Dogs from SA and Tassie respectively. Amusing thing was, both were playing weekend club football locally and neither was too interested in playing for the school, likely at the Dogs' behest, but the stubborn school heirarchy forced the issue and effectively forced them to play against their will, which naturally went down a treat. This tug of war lasted about half a season before they were again magically declared unavailable for school team selection, and were both gone by year's end.

LostDog
29-10-2007, 07:59 PM
I played against Brady Rawlings in year 8 in a high school grand final wasn't much of tagger back then. We won by 5 points I kicked 6 that day very memorable.

Trained with Russel Robertson in the North West Rep. side

I have trained with Mathew Richardson and Jade Rawlings and Ben Harrison at Devonport Blues in the TFL.

Played against Grant Birchall in the NTFL a few years back when he was with Devonport Magpies

PLayed against Tom Bellchambers a couple of times in the NTFL this year he is supposed to be a top 20 KPP pick.

LostDog
29-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Oh my how can I forget
Played a couple of years with Jason Laycock for a couple of years at East Devonport in the NTFL and a few games of Basketball in a local roster.

BIG SMOOTH Laycock top bloke

LostDoggy
29-10-2007, 08:35 PM
GABI!

Fill us in! Is he going to play football or basketball? Is he keen to play for us? Has he put on any weight at all?

WELL, i think he's pretty keen on footy, but he's so damn humble im not sure what he's doing. I'll ask him on Thursday, because i've heard him mention Basketball, so i'll clarify that later. He's looking at being put into next years draft, too young to qualify for this years.
He's a Bulldogs supporter, and he said he's most likely playing for us, IF, he gets drafted.
He wants to play for us, which is good! So he's pretty keen i think, but he's so modest he doesnt get himself pysched up, or get a big head about it which is refreshing. He's a really nice guy.

Umm he's a skinny as a lamp post, but he said something about the gym this summer, and a big pre season if he gets drafted. We have dinner when we finish, and he eats like a horse, my god! So hopefully he'll stack on a few kilos.

Haha i grill him about his Footy just about every time i work with him, i think!

Dancin' Douggy
30-10-2007, 01:05 PM
I played footy for St. Albans in the eighties and Chisholm College( Braybrook).
So I played with Steve and Rod Macpherson and Gary Walpole. Super was incredible at that level. I played against Terry Love ( Spotswood) who was a beautiful player to watch. Took hangers every week, and also against George Bisset in his twilight years for Albion. He was still an elusive bugger and he was well into his forties.
As a teenage centreman I was terrorised by Robbie Mcghie who played ruck for West Footscray. I was coached at St Albans by Ron Fenton who played 11 games for the Dogs in the 70s. I'm sure I'll remember others if I keep thinking..................

Twodogs
30-10-2007, 01:29 PM
I played against Terry Love ( Spotswood)

Played cricket with and against Terry-very promising fast bowler.

Another player to wear # 19 with distinction:D

It was bit weird standing in the outer and shouting "Go Love". Got some very strange looks from opposition supporters. Bit like 'Captain Darling" in Blackadder.

Palace03
30-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Played junior footy against Bachar Houli. Have also now umpired Michael Frost, Keenan Reynolds, Joe Misiti, Ryan Pagan and two boys who were on an AFL list Jesse Wells and Luke Molan.

beyondthevalleyofthe
05-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Not a Bulldog, but I did to go to school with Tim Watson (a few years older than me but Dimboola Primary ain't such a big school) Also with him at St Brigid's College in Horsham just before he left to go to Melbourne. Never joined the rest of us boys in kick to kick as there were too many girls hanging around him! His mum was my Kindergarten teacher too if that counts!

always right
05-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Played alongside ex melbourne HB Tony Sullivan (he was captain coach) and his best mate Laurie Fowler (ex Melbourne and Richmond).

Played against Robbie MacGhie's sons when they played for Yarraville, also Lee Perussich and Richard Radziminski (both ex Footscray). Also played against Tony West at Brunswick (ex Essendon) as well as Merv Hughes and Gary Parkes (ex Essendon) at Werribee.

Played under Ian Bremner (ex Hawthorn) when he captain coached Mulgrave.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Trained at the Falcons with Patrick Dangerfield & Ayce Cordy a couple years ago.

Played against Geelong's Adam Donohue (sp?) in School Football this year.

Played against West Coast's Will Schofield in a Final a couple years ago.

woof
05-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Judd, Ball, Howat, Watts, Watson, (Jobe), Goddard- numerous others that don't spring to mind but basically anyone who played APS in 01 and 02. Judd was so clearly the best it is barely worth mentioning. So complete.