PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 8 vs Melbourne

Eastdog
27-04-2014, 09:12 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 8 game against Melbourne at the MCG?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
03-05-2014, 11:43 PM
What changes should be made?

The Bulldogs Bite
04-05-2014, 12:14 AM
For starters..

OUT:
Williams - I'd rather he not play again, unless he dominates at VFL level.
Hunter - Poor as a sub last week and was poor again tonight. Needs to find form at the lower level IMO.

* Talia may be in the gun, and it's understandable, but I think we need to keep persisting with him for a few more weeks. Bonti isn't suited to the sub position, should either play a full game or if he can't handle that, apply his trade in the VFL.

Rance Fan
04-05-2014, 12:30 AM
out
dickson, williams

in
roberts, smith

bulldogtragic
04-05-2014, 12:45 AM
I can't guess anymore... Maybe no changes.

Remi Moses
04-05-2014, 12:47 AM
After a loss isn't the best time to pontificate on changes .
In Footscray
Out Western Bulldogs( would please some)

always right
04-05-2014, 01:32 AM
No change.

bornadog
04-05-2014, 01:37 AM
I would like to see Clay Smith in. Could be at the expense of Stevens

The bulldog tragician
04-05-2014, 01:55 AM
I would like to see Clay Smith in. Could be at the expense of Stevens

Ditto, though Hunter was also disappointingly subdued for 2nd week in a row.

GVGjr
04-05-2014, 02:06 AM
In's Smith and Hrovat

Out Johannisen and Hunter

Smith and Hrovat add toughness and smarts to our side. JJ just wasn't ready and Hunter needs to get a lot of the footy at the VFL

Lets hope for some good performances in the VFL

Jasper
04-05-2014, 02:54 AM
Don't really think Williams was as bad as some people were making him out to be. At least he was willing to lead and not camp himself in the 50 like Crameri did for most of the night. Also it was Talia who was supposed to be playing on Fletcher at the end, not Williams.

In's
Smith and Honeychurch

Out
JJ Stevens

jeemak
04-05-2014, 02:59 AM
I'll wait until after tomorrow's game for the most part. But.......

In: TBC
Out: Talia

Unfortunately he's shown two weeks in a row he's not quite ready and has a lot to learn at the lower level. No slight on him for effort, it's just how it is.

In light of that, I really hope one of Ayce or Tom stand up as tall tomorrow as we need another ruck in the side, which will allow Williams to play back if need be.

Bumper Bulldogs
04-05-2014, 08:38 AM
Depending how we end up after Footscray go today but I liked having Campbell in the side last week. I think it makes us a better side and helps out in the ruck. Clay has to get a go as we need that energy and drive he can provide,

Out Stevens & Bonts

Go_Dogs
04-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Out: Hunter, Stevens, Macrae (rested)

Ins: Tutt, Smith, Hrovat

Subject to change based on reports for Footscray today.

MrMahatma
04-05-2014, 10:37 AM
For starters..

OUT:
Williams - I'd rather he not play again, unless he dominates at VFL level.
Hunter - Poor as a sub last week and was poor again tonight. Needs to find form at the lower level IMO.

* Talia may be in the gun, and it's understandable, but I think we need to keep persisting with him for a few more weeks. Bonti isn't suited to the sub position, should either play a full game or if he can't handle that, apply his trade in the VFL.

You don't think Williams brought anything to the team this week?

First game up forward for a long time, prob 10th in his career. I thought he was one shining light in the first half. Presented well and took some good grabs.

Go_Dogs
04-05-2014, 10:47 AM
You don't think Williams brought anything to the team this week?

First game up forward for a long time, prob 10th in his career. I thought he was one shining light in the first half. Presented well and took some good grabs.

Agree with that. I see no reason not to persist with him for at least another week now that we've brought him back in. He didn't have a strong performance, but looked about our only forward capable of making a lead and taking a mark out in front for most of the game.

GVGjr
04-05-2014, 11:07 AM
Out: Hunter, Stevens, Macrae (rested)

Ins: Tutt, Smith, Hrovat

Subject to change based on reports for Footscray today.

I'm interested in why you want to give Macrae a rest especially since we are very close to having a bye?

G-Mo77
04-05-2014, 11:12 AM
I'm going for very little change this week.

I'd love to get Hrovat or Smith in but we're one week away from the bye so I'm giving them another week at VFL. No point in rushing them.

Like a lot in here I'll see how we go in Ballarat today. There are a few players on the bubble and they'll have to perform.

Go_Dogs
04-05-2014, 11:22 AM
I'm interested in why you want to give Macrae a rest especially since we are very close to having a bye?

I just thought he looked a bit flat and wasn't covering the ground that well. He's had a big load and a couple of weeks off to refresh might be good for him.

Happy Days
04-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Ins are dependent on the Footscray game (SMITHSMITHSMITHSMITH)

Out:

Hunter - no impact and that attempted hanger in the last quarter cost us a goal in spite of ourselves.

JJ - still presenting the same problems he did before he got dropped

Stevens - garbage, kept Bontempelli off the field for FAR too long. Lock him in a room with Diesel Williams for 4 years or until he can at least hit someone in the knees by hand (I actually like Koby but Van Damme was he bad)

Rocco Jones
04-05-2014, 01:35 PM
Very frustrating losses but I don't think we are far off it.

JJ- I can get why people want him out but he has really suffered with his confidence. While he was no world beater, at least he was trying to break lines last night and kept his opponent quiet. I would keep him in.

Talia- I agree with GVG about seeing why he wasn't getting a game. I think he needs to stay in due to our needs but if he is not following instructions, he needs to go. That's up to B-Mac and co. there to earn their dough.

Bonts- I would let develop in the VFL. Not sure he is physically up to it.

Stevens- really puts his team mates under pressure, not sure where I sit with him. Could be a good option as a sub.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In: Smith and/or Hrovat. If they both play well today, I would bring both of them in with one as the sub.
Out: Bonts and Stevens depend on the above

boydogs
04-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Hunter - no impact and that attempted hanger in the last quarter cost us a goal in spite of ourselves.

Very harsh, not much else he can do when the ball is kicked on his head all game

Out: Stevens, Bontempelli
In: Smith, Hrovat

lemmon
04-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Have that feeling we're shuffling deck chairs on the titanic.

Out- JJ-just freezes with the footy
Bontempelli- young, needs to get game time, not sit on a bench for three quarters
Stevens

In- Wallis
Smith
Hrovat

F'scary
04-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Out: Stevens, Bontempelli
In: Smith, Hrovat

Stevens- really puts his team mates under pressure, not sure where I sit with him. Could be a good option as a sub.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out: Bonts and Stevens depend on the above

Ins are dependent on the Footscray game (SMITHSMITHSMITHSMITH)

Out:

Stevens - garbage, kept Bontempelli off the field for FAR too long. Lock him in a room with Diesel Williams for 4 years or until he can at least hit someone in the knees by hand (I actually like Koby but Van Damme was he bad)

Koby or not Koby?
That is the question.

always right
04-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Stevens was quiet possession wise last night but kept Watson very quiet in the first half. In fact Watson did his best work when shifted forward. No credit to Stevens?

boydogs
04-05-2014, 02:38 PM
Stevens was quiet possession wise last night but kept Watson very quiet in the first half. In fact Watson did his best work when shifted forward. No credit to Stevens?

More Watson than Stevens IMO. Stevens was subbed off with 2 kicks & 2 tackles for the game, and Watson stayed forward afterwards

Remi Moses
04-05-2014, 02:56 PM
There was a large period of play on the spencer st wing in the second term, with Watson waiting to come on .

always right
04-05-2014, 03:10 PM
There was a large period of play on the spencer st wing in the second term, with Watson waiting to come on .

Sorry....I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

1eyedog
04-05-2014, 05:13 PM
In's Smith and Hrovat

Out Johannisen and Hunter

Smith and Hrovat add toughness and smarts to our side. JJ just wasn't ready and Hunter needs to get a lot of the footy at the VFL

Lets hope for some good performances in the VFL

Good changes I'd go with those too.

F'scary
04-05-2014, 07:55 PM

I think he deserves credit for that.

Remi Moses
05-05-2014, 04:34 AM
Sorry....I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

Watson was trying to come on, but the play was on the other side of the ground for a period of time.
The point I'm making is he was off the ground longer than they wanted .

Mantis
05-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Agree with that. I see no reason not to persist with him for at least another week now that we've brought him back in. He didn't have a strong performance, but looked about our only forward capable of making a lead and taking a mark out in front for most of the game.

He (Williams) did, but on 4 occassions in a row after taking a mark or gathering the ball he proceeded to kick the ball along the ground.. So what's the point?

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-05-2014, 05:56 PM
He (Williams) did, but on 4 occassions in a row after taking a mark or gathering the ball he proceeded to kick the ball along the ground.. So what's the point?
Williams Jones and Crameri were the major offenders in their 3 opponents amassing 69 disposals between them. Apart from Dahlhaus we didn't have a winner in attack. We have been in positions to defeat North Adelaide Carlton and Essendon but our inferior forward line continues to be a major concern .

bornadog
05-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Williams Jones and Crameri were the major offenders in their 3 opponents amassing 69 disposals between them. Apart from Dahlhaus we didn't have a winner in attack. We have been in positions to defeat North Adelaide Carlton and Essendon but our inferior forward line continues to be a major concern .

and there is no easy solution.

Grant is playing VFL this week and hopefully can get into some form and be back after the bye.

whythelongface
05-05-2014, 06:35 PM
and there is no easy solution.

Grant is playing VFL this week and hopefully can get into some form and be back after the bye.\

Is this 100% confirmed? Great news if it is as we really need him as an attacking option.

Templeton31
05-05-2014, 07:02 PM
yeh that would be good news. He's not the messiah but has potential to help.

bornadog
05-05-2014, 07:08 PM
\

Is this 100% confirmed? Great news if it is as we really need him as an attacking option.

Check the injury thread

Maddog37
05-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Maybe play Smith forward as we know he will compete.

Go_Dogs
05-05-2014, 08:06 PM

This execution which followed was poor, but at least we had a target to look to move the ball too. Can limit the need for him to kick too often with a receiver running past it?

soupman
06-05-2014, 01:20 PM
On the potential omissions:

Hunter: Watching the replay I actually thought he was pretty good. Pushed up the ground a bit and used the ball intelligently. Just struggling to have much of an impact up forward atm, but would certainly be ahead of guys like Dickson.

JJ: I thought he was poor at the game, but watching the replay he did most things well with a few poor bits of play. Still very down on confidence and I would've been very reluctant to pick him last week, but through a combo of trying to get his confidence up and there being no other defenders pushing for a spot (I'm not keen on Goodes) I think he stays in

Talia: Struggled, and I think could use a few more weeks in the VFL to get his confidence back up. Looked like Daniher had him beaten mentally and he spent most of the game out of position. Roberts from all reports has been good in the VFL and deserves an opportunity so an easy swap.

Stevens: Had a poor week but is generally a decent player. Not sure if he was playing a tagging role or not but struggled to offer us anything offensive. I think he's a contender for the omission.

Bontempelli: When we pick this guy it shouldn't be as a sub. He is the wrong sort of player. Either commit to starting him or play him in the VFL where he can get a full game which I think will be better for his development.

Williams: Was good in his role as the forward to drag Hooker and Fletcher to the wings. This fell away in the last but not entirely sure how or why. I'd keep him in as there don't seem to be other key forwards pushing for a spot. Campbell and Grant will be eyeing off his spot though post-bye.

Dickson: Just didn't do that much. When he isn't kicking goals he doesn't offer enough elsewhere. Big contender to be dropped.

Inclusions:

I would be looking to pick Roberts for Talia to reward consistent good form.

I'd also like to bring in Tutt and Smith, Smith as the sub if his fitness isn't quite there yet otherwise if it is then Tutt is sub.

The omissions for them are between Bontempelli, Stevens and Dickson. Smith equals if not surpasses Stevens physicality but would also be dangerous in Dickson's role. Tutt has been good since the Canberra game and would give us some run on the MCG.

Mofra
06-05-2014, 01:57 PM
The omissions for them are between Bontempelli, Stevens and Dickson. Smith equals if not surpasses Stevens physicality but would also be dangerous in Dickson's role. Tutt has been good since the Canberra game and would give us some run on the MCG.
Good summary overall - I like the idea of trying Smith as the sub and playing him forward. He did play predominantly forward last year until his knee (albeit high forward, often pushing up to the contest) and at the time we did score a reasonably high % of our goals from contested situations, which we know Clay thrives in.

Ozza
06-05-2014, 03:12 PM
One thing I'd hope the coaches would strongly consider - is Murphy playing forward this week.

And I'm saying that specifically because it is an MCG game.

Too often - with the size of the G' - we fall down at half forward. Murphy's smarts, and sheer capacity to present over and over again would make a huge difference for us going into attack. Add to that, that he is such a difficult match up. I can't think of anyone in Melbourne's defence that we would absolutely need Murph to play on - and the likes of Higgins, Wood and JJ should be able to provide enough run.

This week is an opportunity to be in a more offensive mindset against a team that is very 'defense-first'.

Ozza
06-05-2014, 03:22 PM
B: Wood; Morris; Stringer
HB: Picken; Talia; Higgins
C: Macrae; Boyd; Cooney
HF: Murphy; Crameri; Stevens
F: Dahlhaus; Jones; Dickson
R:Minson, Griffen, Libba
Int: Johannisen; Hunter; Smith; Williams

I think this gives us the best chance of winning.
Tempted to bring in Tutt's run. But sticking with Hunter.
Tempted to drop Williams. But with others out - we can do with the flexibility he gives us.
JJ had an ordinary game. But we know his best footy adds a fair bit to the side.

always right
06-05-2014, 04:42 PM
One thing I'd hope the coaches would strongly consider - is Murphy playing forward this week.

And I'm saying that specifically because it is an MCG game.

Too often - with the size of the G' - we fall down at half forward. Murphy's smarts, and sheer capacity to present over and over again would make a huge difference for us going into attack. Add to that, that he is such a difficult match up. I can't think of anyone in Melbourne's defence that we would absolutely need Murph to play on - and the likes of Higgins, Wood and JJ should be able to provide enough run.

This week is an opportunity to be in a more offensive mindset against a team that is very 'defense-first'.

My view is that he is our best running defender and that's where he should play.....but I agree with you that there are times when there is an opportunity to do something different and I reckon this week is one of those occasions.

Ozza
06-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Strongly believe he should play forward at the G' - and should have in Perth. You pretty much have to factor in an extra (short) possession at those grounds. And a smart/experienced player getting the ball at 70m-80m out is important.

I think back to Murphy torching Bevan from Sydney in the 2008 finals, and 2 years later swung forward and got us back in the game against the swans again. Bob was both smart enough, and had a big enough tank to work his opponents over laterally as well as up and back which you need to do at half forward on the G.

I guess I just get really concerned with how we will play on a ground that is no longer familiar to us at all. There will be a handful of players who have never played at the MCG before, or who have at best played 2 or 3 times. It took us more than a half last year to get a handle on the ground.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-05-2014, 06:38 PM
Good points Ozza and I agree.

Also makes for a big game for Crameri - he really should be able to carve Melbourne up with his running ability and the wide expanses of the G.

azabob
06-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Good points Ozza and I agree.

Also makes for a big game for Crameri - he really should be able to carve Melbourne up with his running ability and the wide expanses of the G.

If Crameri decides to run...

chef
06-05-2014, 07:08 PM
If Crameri decides to run...

Maybe he can't

azabob
06-05-2014, 07:23 PM
Maybe he can't

Then why are we playing him?

chef
06-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Then why are we playing him?

He looked a bit hobbled, maybe the MC thinks we can play through it.

anfo27
06-05-2014, 08:23 PM
OUT: JJ- is playing with no confidence. there is no room for players on a team with little AFL experience & no confidence.
Talia- was horrible & every time he had the footy in his hands it cost us a goal. Also has a bad habit of holding every time he is out of position.
Dickson- didn't even know he was playing. No credit in the bank to play crap & get another senior game the following week.

IN: Roberts- his form has been good & deserves to be promoted.
Smith- we need him in the side as asap.
Goodes- has been playing well at Footscray and hopefully can give us some run out of defence.

Avoid the rush
07-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Agree with anfo27 except for JJ. Have the feeling Goodes is a one trick pony (grab the ball lift up arms look to give off...every time!!!) and I reckon senior players are on to him therefore he gets caught with the ball too much in the ones. Just my observation.
Would be confident JJ has been told to take them on at every opportunity and he sometimes has disposal issues because of it. I am sure the MCG would suit him perfectly and I hope he gets another go. Lauchie Hunter will be lucky if the MC dont punish him for a bit of the lair but he is our future so give him some slack.
Looking forward to getting Smithy back...he's a gun, and watching if Roberts is good enough....hope so!!!!!!

always right
07-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Lauchie Hunter will be lucky if the MC dont punish him for a bit of the lair but he is our future so give him some slack.

Interested in this comment. Apart from a speculative leap for a speccie in the last quarter, I don't recall anything else that would earn him the tag of being a lair.

What I see is a young bloke with talent, style and a bit of confidence.....something we are in short supply of.

bornadog
07-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Interested in this comment. Apart from a speculative leap for a speccie in the last quarter, I don't recall anything else that would earn him the tag of being a lair.

What I see is a young bloke with talent, style and a bit of confidence.....something we are in short supply of.

Me too.

I wouldnt want him dropped at all, he is a real live wire around goals.

bulldogtragic
07-05-2014, 05:50 PM

I don't want to put words in ATR, but perhaps it's a reference to a small trend this year of doing the spect stuff not enough and playing like a millionaire at times. I know I've said it a few times thus year.

Avoid the rush
07-05-2014, 06:00 PM
I don't want to put words in ATR, but perhaps it's a reference to a small trend this year of doing the spect stuff not enough and playing like a millionaire at times. I know I've said it a few times thus year.

Thanx bulldogtragic. Exactly my thoughts...Lauchie is looking like being a star but needs to also do the team thing. Loved his dribble kick from the middle of the pack in, I think the third quarter. I most certainly would not like to see him dropped.

Nuggety Back Pocket
07-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Strongly believe he should play forward at the G' - and should have in Perth. You pretty much have to factor in an extra (short) possession at those grounds. And a smart/experienced player getting the ball at 70m-80m out is important.

I think back to Murphy torching Bevan from Sydney in the 2008 finals, and 2 years later swung forward and got us back in the game against the swans again. Bob was both smart enough, and had a big enough tank to work his opponents over laterally as well as up and back which you need to do at half forward on the G.

I guess I just get really concerned with how we will play on a ground that is no longer familiar to us at all. There will be a handful of players who have never played at the MCG before, or who have at best played 2 or 3 times. It took us more than a half last year to get a handle on the ground.

You would love to think that the MC could see the wisdom of playing Murph forward given how poor the attack has been this year. Opposition teams are now putting a tag on him to stop Murphy's run out of defence.
Jones Williams Crameri and Dickson were all poor against Essendon and it was left to only Dahlhaus to provide any class at all. I would prefer Campbell to Williams and play Stringer as a leading FF. Murphy would provide the icing on the cake across half forward.
This is my preferred line up:
B. Picken Talia Morris
HB. Wood Roberts Higgins
C. Macrae Griffen Cooney
HF. Murphy Crameri Dahlhaus
F. Hunter Stringer Campbell
R. Minson Liberatore Boyd
Int. Smith Hrovat Bontempelli Jones

josie
07-05-2014, 09:13 PM
I like Nuggety Back Pocket's side but I do not think coaches will change so many players.

1eyedog
07-05-2014, 09:51 PM
You would love to think that the MC could see the wisdom of playing Murph forward given how poor the attack has been this year. Opposition teams are now putting a tag on him to stop Murphy's run out of defence.
Jones Williams Crameri and Dickson were all poor against Essendon and it was left to only Dahlhaus to provide any class at all. I would prefer Campbell to Williams and play Stringer as a leading FF. Murphy would provide the icing on the cake across half forward.
This is my preferred line up:
B. Picken Talia Morris
HB. Wood Roberts Higgins
C. Macrae Griffen Cooney
HF. Murphy Crameri Dahlhaus
F. Hunter Stringer Campbell
R. Minson Liberatore Boyd
Int. Smith Hrovat Bontempelli Jones

Great call NBP. With Higgins playing so well off a HBF we now have a penetrating skillful kicker to relieve Murph forward. If JJ is worth a try at FF, Stringer worth a try in the BP then Murph is on a HFF.

LostDoggy
08-05-2014, 03:41 PM
Interesting team selection coming up. Doesn't look like being great conditions Saturday night.

Melbourne don't have the tallest forward line, and especially with Frawley in serious doubt I wouldn't be bringing in another an extra tall this week.

Roberts comes in for Talia for mine. Just as good defensively and actually looks like a footballer when he has ball in hand.

Smith in for Bonts is the only other change. Let Bonts keep playing full matches at VFL level. He's just not ready and as others have already said the sub role is pointless for him.

Would like Gia to come in... As Sub, but not sure who would make way. Hunter should stay in and Dickson gets another chance to prove himself after last week.

Williams starts forward again. Roberts, Morris and Wood will be able to handle Dawes, Frawley (if he plays) and Watts.

Mofra
08-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Williams starts forward again. Roberts, Morris and Wood will be able to handle Dawes, Frawley (if he plays) and Watts.
Just wondering who goes to Watts if he plays?
Macrae is too valuable as a ball winning mid in his own right - I wonder if we can find a way of giving Bonts a task on Watts given he has height and might be able to win his own ball at times in close?

LostDoggy
08-05-2014, 05:28 PM
Macrae is too valuable as a ball winning mid in his own right - I wonder if we can find a way of giving Bonts a task on Watts given he has height and might be able to win his own ball at times in close?

Really, really like this Mofra. Reckon Bonts would burn Watts. It'd be a great task early in his career.

Remi Moses
08-05-2014, 05:44 PM
I was a bit surprised with our disfunctional forward half we didn't try Murphy forward last Saturday night.
Got more smarts than a few other dunderheads down there

bornadog
08-05-2014, 05:49 PM
I was a bit surprised with our disfunctional forward half we didn't try Murphy forward last Saturday night.
Got more smarts than a few other dunderheads down there

Crameri needs to pull his finger out, he has had two bad weeks.

Go_Dogs
08-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Gia, Tutt and Roberts in

Talia, Bonts and Stevens out

LostDoggy
08-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Stevens is the other out

Go_Dogs
08-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Stevens a little unlucky for mine, but happy with the ins.

I guess we'll see Smith back after the bye.

G-Mo77
08-05-2014, 07:39 PM
I'm really happy to see Roberts into the team. It's been a long road back. He's put together some really good efforts at VFL and really earned this selection. I've always had high hopes for him and I hope he can stay healthy and produce at the highest level.

Remi Moses
08-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Would have liked The Church in .
Not sure what Gia brings going forward( going to get howled down by some)
Roberts deserves a shot as does Tutt. Koby and Talia were ordinary last week

GVGjr
08-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Roberts replacing Talia is okay with me. I'm not convinced we can have both of them in the side as defenders at the moment.

bornadog
08-05-2014, 08:28 PM
Gia, Tutt and Roberts in

Talia, Bonts and Stevens out

Happy with that

The bulldog tragician
08-05-2014, 08:42 PM
Good selections. Tutt had been very unlucky to be dropped in the first place. It's timely that the good form of him and Roberts is rewarded.

bulldogtragic
08-05-2014, 09:22 PM
I'm not sure why we are playing Gia.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-05-2014, 10:02 PM

Tend to agree.

Hasn't done much at VFL level and his game isn't really suited to the wide expanses of the MCG from a running and repeat effort perspective. His Melbourne opponent should/will be instructed to run off at every opportunity.

The one thing Gia might be able to do is out-smart some of the Melbourne defenders, who despite improved form, aren't exactly world beaters. Still - I wouldn't have played him.

bulldogtragic
08-05-2014, 10:17 PM
Tend to agree.

Hasn't done much at VFL level and his game isn't really suited to the wide expanses of the MCG from a running and repeat effort perspective. His Melbourne opponent should/will be instructed to run off at every opportunity.

The one thing Gia might be able to do is out-smart some of the Melbourne defenders, who despite improved form, aren't exactly world beaters. Still - I wouldn't have played him.

Yes and yes for both main points. Apart from playing through his opponent, I think there's some mixed messages about having to dominate every week in the VFL to get back into the team, unless you're Gia. It's nothing personal as he goes down as a club great, but I don't understand the different rules or messages. I don't really care how it's sugarcoated, or sold to players or members, I don't like making kids force their way into the seniors while Gia comes back on less than stellar reports.

Nuggety Back Pocket
08-05-2014, 11:03 PM
Yes and yes for both main points. Apart from playing through his opponent, I think there's some mixed messages about having to dominate every week in the VFL to get back into the team, unless you're Gia. It's nothing personal as he goes down as a club great, but I don't understand the different rules or messages. I don't really care how it's sugarcoated, or sold to players or members, I don't like making kids force their way into the seniors while Gia comes back on less than stellar reports.
The problem with improvising with Gia is that it restricts the opportunities to promote players like Hrovat and Honeychurch. I thought the club erred in keeping on Gia who has been a fine servant but should have been delisted along with Crossy. I also think it is a mistake to continue with Minson as our sole ruckman. The stronger clubs do not do this and nor should we.

Twodogs
08-05-2014, 11:12 PM

Good plan. I like it.

GVGjr
08-05-2014, 11:35 PM

I tend to agree we could have looked to promote one of the younger guys for a taste of senior football before the bye

bornadog
08-05-2014, 11:39 PM

Maybe he is in to organise the rabble that the forward line was last week.

Before I Die
09-05-2014, 12:31 AM
You would expect that Gia is back to help line coach from the boundary and come on as the sub.
McCartney said he would play some games as sub, some full games and some at Footscray. One thing we know is that McCartney means what he says. I don't imagine that dominating at Footscray was ever part of the plan.

Very happy with the changes. Talia and Stevens have things to work on and a full game for Bonts. Roberts and Tutt deserve promotion.

Remi Moses
09-05-2014, 02:43 AM
The problem with improvising with Gia is that it restricts the opportunities to promote players like Hrovat and Honeychurch. I thought the club erred in keeping on Gia who has been a fine servant but should have been delisted along with Crossy. I also think it is a mistake to continue with Minson as our sole ruckman. The stronger clubs do not do this and nor should we.
Ditto for me. I'd play Campbell as well, and if we're needing a bench coach Gia could have retired and taken up the role.

Mantis
09-05-2014, 10:05 AM

Isn't that what we pay Shannon Grant for?

Scorlibo
09-05-2014, 11:14 AM
Seems to me that Gia's omission last week was simply part of the plan of giving him the occasional full game in the VFL, and he was always going to be back for this week. He's gone and racked up 24 touches, 2 goals and 3 behinds in the VFL, no reason for him not to get the scheduled recall. FWIW I hope he plays the sub role, the last couple of weeks our subs in Hunter and Bontempelli have given us nothing after coming on.

Bulldog Joe
09-05-2014, 11:40 AM

Perhaps the MC are mindful of the need to get a win.

Expect Gia to be sub and be thrown in mid 3rd qtr if we need something to get a few scores.
He is still our smartest forward.

Axe Man
09-05-2014, 12:11 PM
FWIW I hope he plays the sub role, the last couple of weeks our subs in Hunter and Bontempelli have given us nothing after coming on.

Agreed on Gia, although Tutt could be another option after a good performance as the sub against GWS.

bornadog
09-05-2014, 12:12 PM
Agreed on Gia, although Tutt could be another option after a good performance as the sub against GWS.

I would like to see Tutt get a full game and show us if he has got it or not.

azabob
09-05-2014, 03:19 PM
I would like to see Tutt get a full game and show us if he has got it or not.

Agreed BAD, not only a full game but a few full games in a row.

LostDoggy
09-05-2014, 04:45 PM
Wood to Frawley? Notice Frawley since playing forward has been leading up the ground alot, and being very dangerous as a link up player. Also notice alot of the marks he takes are chest marks so his girth is a factor but not so much his height. I think Wood can run with him, and also run off when need be, as I think Frawley won't keep Wood accountable on the rebound. This would leave Morris to Dawes further in defence which I don't think is a bad match up for us either, and leaves the general down where we need him especially with Roberts green and probably on Pedersen. Really think Tommy Williams needs to start up forward, say what you will about him (and I have) but I thought he was very good last week really leading up at the ball, we need those options presented for our halfbacks and mids, because the others forwards just aren't presenting enough.

bornadog
09-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Isn't that what we pay Shannon Grant for?

You need a leader on the ground.

by the way Gia will be sub tomorrow confirmed by Macca today

Happy Days
09-05-2014, 05:54 PM
You need a leader on the ground.

by the way Gia will be sub tomorrow confirmed by Macca today

What sort of ~mind games~ are these?! Malthouse would not approve

bornadog
09-05-2014, 06:19 PM
What sort of ~mind games~ are these?! Malthouse would not approve

Yeah, true. Went to a luncheon today and he said Gia Sub.

F'scary
09-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Stevens a little unlucky for mine, but happy with the ins.

I guess we'll see Smith back after the bye.

So are the players he handballs to.

F'scary
09-05-2014, 08:50 PM
I always thought it was an insult to call someone a sub.

jeemak
10-05-2014, 02:59 AM

He might very well be there for that reason, while on the bench and then on the ground as he is going to be subbed.

Think Stevens needs to work on his disposal by hand as a priority. Being an average kick is one thing, but being an average kick and an average handballer is another thing all together - irrespective of how fit you are and how hard you go at it.

Roberts had to replace Talia, after good performances at the lower grade he deserves his chance while the latter was a bit loose with his concentration at the senior level.

Thought Tutt was very stiff to miss after his work against GWS. Kudos to him for putting his name up week after week with solid (albeit not dominating - which is how it goes) performances.