PDA

View Full Version : Liam Picken - All Australian?

Scorlibo
28-04-2014, 03:41 AM
With a fairly demoralising loss yesterday, I thought I'd try for some silver lining.

Liam Picken has been in red hot form all year, shutting down small opposition forwards while offering plenty of rebound himself. I'm struggling to find another small defender in the competition who finds the same amazing balance between, and excellence in, attack and defence.

He's gone from being the 22nd (or maybe 20th) guy picked when he first came in to being one of our most trusted players. Can he keep up this form and possibly get an All-Australian nod?

Well done Liam, keep doing what you're doing.

Remi Moses
28-04-2014, 04:38 AM
I'd doubt he'd get an A/A gong, but he's been terrific this season.
He looked at the crossroads 12 months ago

always right
28-04-2014, 09:04 AM
I'd doubt he'd get an A/A gong, but he's been terrific this season.
He looked at the crossroads 12 months ago

Do you say that because you don't think he deserves it or he has been pidgeon holed as a dour tagger?

Maddog37
28-04-2014, 10:03 AM
He won't get AA because he doesn't play for a glamour team.

Mantis
28-04-2014, 10:17 AM

That's bullshit.

He won't get AA because he doesn't get enough of the ball or use it well enough.

Mofra
28-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Like Will and Griff?

Ozza
28-04-2014, 10:22 AM

I agree. But he has been fantastic.

Great to see Liam has again jumped another hurdle and improved his game to continue to be a valuable contributor.
He was originally seen as not good enough to make it in the AFL, then did.

And more recently it was suggested that playing him as a small defender wouldn't/doesn't work - but he has improved again to become our best shutdown defender.

He would be high in the B&F so far this season.

Maddog37
28-04-2014, 06:11 PM
That's bullshit.

He won't get AA because he doesn't get enough of the ball or use it well enough.

Wrong on both counts. Averaging 21 touches a week (82% DE on the weekend).

Maddog37
28-04-2014, 06:12 PM
Like Will and Griff?

Or Libba?

Remi Moses
28-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Do you say that because you don't think he deserves it or he has been pidgeon holed as a dour tagger?

Going well, but not AA . Taggers are the red headed step sister

LostDoggy
28-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Since round one he has been fantastic, if he keeps his form up he could well find himself in a back pocket.
Has come a long way since he first switched from tagger to genuine small defender.

LostDoggy
28-04-2014, 10:39 PM
It's back to the old argument of how the AA is selected, are the players selected for a position, or are the best players selected then found a spot? I would suggest the former he'd be a genuine contender, the latter no chance. Regardless he is flying atm, he's always been a hard nut, but there is a bit of polish coming through now as well.

Mantis
29-04-2014, 10:01 AM
Wrong on both counts. Averaging 21 touches a week (82% DE on the weekend).

Perhaps I should have stated that Picken's possessions aren't damaging enough.

He is tending to either bomb the ball or chip it sideways (both of which are effective possesions), but he isn't really an offensive weapon with ball in hand.. and that is a trait that the AA selectors reward.

The Doctor
29-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Perhaps I should have stated that Picken's possessions aren't damaging enough.

Opposition teams always allow Picken an easy possession deep in defence. They want the ball in his hands as there is a fair chance they will get it back quickly and in good field position. Macca allows this to happen.

Happy Days
29-04-2014, 11:52 AM
Nope.

For a straight-up, undamaging defender to make the AA side they pretty much have to pitch a shut out defensively, and Liam took a pretty bad pasting in round one against Le Cras.

Crowley had one of the most dominant stopping seasons ever last year and didn't get a look in.

lemmon
29-04-2014, 11:56 AM
Has he been better than guys like Hibberd, Dempster, Adcock, Malceski, Heath Shaw, Enright or James Kelly? Had a good year but he has been playing as a small defender, there's a lot of competition for those spots.

Maddog37
29-04-2014, 03:53 PM
I personally think he has been great but not unlikely to be AA. I think that if he did the job he has whilst playing for Collingwood or Hawthorn the media would be lauding him. Especially after his jobs on Thomas and Betts.

Glad he plays for us though.

I have noticed he has stopped kicking around corners as much which has improved his disposal no end.

azabob
04-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Fair to say he beat Stanton last night.

Scorlibo
04-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Fair to say he beat Stanton last night.

Yep. Those questioning his kicking could well refer to the last quarter chiseller that found Lachie Hunter.