PDA

View Full Version : Easton Wood - Appreciation Thread

bulldogtragic
29-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Got to say, I thought Wood was nearly in danger of his spot on the list last year. Not anything too bad, much like Terry Wallace talking about Libba Snr in Year of the Dog.

But he's showing with a good preseason and good run without injury why he should be in the 22 week in and out. I think when our talls come back he can be used in a more offensive style too, in the vein of Hargy at his peak. I think at full strength Young will compete with Easton for the position in the 22, I think Easton is a fair way ahead and I look forward to the rest of the season.

So for any questions, debate or negativity, Easton to me has been a clear success so far this season. So a big slap to Easton, medicos and coaches.

LostDoggy
29-04-2014, 04:27 PM
Longest time to start an Appreciation Society ever, isn't it?

bulldogtragic
29-04-2014, 04:44 PM
Probably. I like to balance out critique or criticism with some positivity. Easton has been a big positive, so it's only fair to balance out the good and bad. Not so much an official bandwagon, but trying to see positives and starting a dialogue around them.

1eyedog
29-04-2014, 06:11 PM
I've stuck thick with Wood for ages and he's come good this season. Hope it continues.

Greystache
29-04-2014, 07:13 PM
He looks like the player we hoped 3-4 years ago he would become. The extra responsibility he's had lumped on him this year looks the making of him. Having a player who can play on smalls or the third tall and also add some rebound adds a huge amount flexibility to the team.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-04-2014, 11:30 PM
Also pleasing to see him starting to win more of the ball and use his powerful athletic abilities to advantage.

I have always been a fan but must admit I wasn't convinced he could go to the next level, given he stalled for a couple of seasons. He has become a vital player in our side and a really enjoyable player to watch not only offensively, but defensively. He is always prepared to run back with the flight of the ball.

GVGjr
29-04-2014, 11:31 PM
I can't quite bring myself to jump on board yet but I have acknowledged his fine start to the season and I really hope he maintains it.

He's done a fine job often against taller opponents.

whythelongface
30-04-2014, 02:21 PM
There have been some positives this season and one of them is Wood. Hopefully he can continue his upward trajectory for the remainder of the season. Whilst the MC cops a bit of criticism their perseverance with Wood should be applauded.

Mofra
30-04-2014, 03:04 PM
VU put a heap of work into him in the off-season to fix his running style - looks like it has paid off, should also reduce his injury rate.
He had shown promice before (one excellent lock down game on Stevie J, a good showing against Collingwood until injury) but this really is the first time he's done it for many weeks in a row. Good kid off field too by all accounts.

LostDoggy
30-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Having a great season so far is Wood, love his run and wish we had more of it!

What I don't get is the brain fades sometimes when he claims marks that have clearly come off others hands. I've seen it a few times and again on the weekend deep in defence, it is not terribly becoming.

whythelongface
30-04-2014, 03:51 PM
VU put a heap of work into him in the off-season to fix his running style - looks like it has paid off, should also reduce his injury rate.
He had shown promice before (one excellent lock down game on Stevie J, a good showing against Collingwood until injury) but this really is the first time he's done it for many weeks in a row. Good kid off field too by all accounts.

I was trying to think of the game that he really showed some promise - yes the game against Collingwood - was it 2011 or 2012? He took some excellent marks and provided some really good run off the HBF. Good to see he is starting to play consistently at that level.

Greystache
30-04-2014, 04:13 PM
I was trying to think of the game that he really showed some promise - yes the game against Collingwood - was it 2011 or 2012? He took some excellent marks and provided some really good run off the HBF. Good to see he is starting to play consistently at that level.

He also played a game in the wet in Adelaide back in about 2010 where we won in a tight game and he won a couple of really important contests. I thought then he really had something to work with.

Maddog37
30-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Back six looks good if someone can step up at CHB. Morris, Ruff, Picken. Wood, ?????, Bob.

Talia hopefully.

bornadog
30-04-2014, 04:37 PM
Back six looks good if someone can step up at CHB. Morris, Ruff, Picken. Wood, ?????, Bob.

Talia hopefully.

It would be good when we have the back six not having to rely on Morris to be a KP.

Morris, Roughead Picken

Murphy, Talia, Wood

Maddog37
30-04-2014, 04:43 PM
That's what I was saying BAD.......

bornadog
30-04-2014, 04:56 PM
That's what I was saying BAD.......

I was confirming:D

Having said that, we need replacements for Morris and Murphy in the next few years.

Any suggestions from the current players?

1eyedog
30-04-2014, 04:58 PM
What I like most about what he is doing is that he is showing strength in the contest.

Maddog37
30-04-2014, 05:51 PM
Murphy is a once in a generation player IMHO but JJ on a flank hopefully. Not sure about Morris.

Remi Moses
30-04-2014, 06:19 PM

Friday night game . Remember those?
Big improver, and showing more poise with ball in hand.
Less kamikaze third up efforts also.

Ozza
01-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Friday night game . Remember those?
Big improver, and showing more poise with ball in hand.
Less kamikaze third up efforts also.

Great point. He is making far better choices this season. Wood unnecessarily flying over packs while his opponent stayed down - used to drive me crazy about him.

Seems to know when to, and when not to at the moment. Has taken some good marks, and killed some contests over the top - but far less of jumping from 5 deep and knocking over a handful of our players!

Wood's progression has been a big plus for us so far this year.

Mofra
02-05-2014, 12:38 PM
Great point. He is making far better choices this season. Wood unnecessarily flying over packs while his opponent stayed down - used to drive me crazy about him.
Seems to be a by-product of continuity, ability to read the game much better (which I think most would agree is noticeable)

Ozza
02-05-2014, 02:04 PM
Seems to be a by-product of continuity, ability to read the game much better (which I think most would agree is noticeable)

Yes I agree. Continuity and confidence (which aren't mutually exclusive).

Not to take the thread off track - but I'm optimistic that continuity will be a big plus for Talia if he can get it. At the moment Talia can tend to be a bit hesitant in committing to, say, leaving his man to attack the ball or staying with his man - or to mark or spoil. But continuity should see him be more decisive - and I think thats what we are getting from Woody now.

Dogmatic
02-05-2014, 04:46 PM
I'm still not a fan of Wood unfortunately. You can't question his toughness and he has good dash but his ball use is still poor.

LostDoggy
02-05-2014, 05:24 PM
I'm still not a fan of Wood unfortunately. You can't question his toughness and he has good dash but his ball use is still poor.

As a general rule or just based on the last couple of weeks? His ball use isn't brilliant but he's one of the few guys in our side that has a truly penetrating long kick and I believe he chooses the right option more often than not.

anfo27
06-05-2014, 09:09 PM
Not a huge fan of Easton but the kid has improved every game this year. Macca has given him some big jobs this year where he seems to be fighting out of his weight division every week but he just gives it everything & thats all we can ask of every player that puts on the tri colours. His kicking & decision making is still a worry but hopefully he can improve in these areas as well. Keep it up Easton.

always right
06-05-2014, 10:00 PM
To be honest I reckon it 's his decision making and disposal that seem to have improved the most.

Bulldog Revolution
11-05-2014, 01:58 PM
To be honest I reckon it 's his decision making and disposal that seem to have improved the most.

Agreed - he's not always getting heaps of it, but when he does he's just making the right decision. Did a nice job on Jack Watts last night. I've been very happy with his progression this year - he's confirmed that the faith the club had in him was justified.

What do people think the next step is? Figuring out how to use his pace, athleticism as a weapon more regularly?

always right
11-05-2014, 02:05 PM
Agreed - he's not always getting heaps of it, but when he does he's just making the right decision. Did a nice job on Jack Watts last night. I've been very happy with his progression this year - he's confirmed that the faith the club had in him was justified.

What do people think the next step is? Figuring out how to use his pace, athleticism as a weapon more regularly?

Was one of the few players willing to run the lines last night. He has become a critical part of our side and who would have thought that at the beginning of the year?

bulldogtragic
11-05-2014, 02:06 PM

I'd like to see Easton get to a Goddard like swing man, obviously not the KPP type swing man, but a big, hard body who can play tall, with a burst of speed and good kick. Big ask I know, but he's showed me more this year than in any other I can recall.

bornadog
11-05-2014, 09:17 PM
I'd like to see Easton get to a Goddard like swing man, obviously not the KPP type swing man, but a big, hard body who can play tall, with a burst of speed and good kick. Big ask I know, but he's showed me more this year than in any other I can recall.

Completely shut out Watts - has had a great start to the season.

comrade
11-05-2014, 09:45 PM
Love his ability to peel off his man to go third in or chop off a lead. Takes some cajones.

whythelongface
12-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Completely shut out Watts - has had a great start to the season.

We don't often praise the MC but that was a very astute move having Wood on Watts. Wood is becoming a very important cog in the wheel of this team's development. Something that would not have been said 12 months ago.

craigsahibee
12-05-2014, 10:33 AM
He is certainly endearing himself to the fans of the Bulldogs with his performances this year and his ability to string together consecutive games (touch Easton). If Talia can find some form and consistency, throw Roughy back in the side and all of a sudden a back six of Roughy, Murphy, Morris, Picken or JJ (role depending), Talia and Wood looks very appealing. Use Higgo as the plus one and the entries into the forward line should be a lot faster and meaningful.

westdog54
14-05-2014, 09:12 PM
We don't often praise the MC but that was a very astute move having Wood on Watts. Wood is becoming a very important cog in the wheel of this team's development. Something that would not have been said 12 months ago.

I'd go so far as to say that Easton is another example of Macca's ability to get players on board. Last year it was Grant and this year Easton is playing out of his skin.

I always wonder if he could have extracted something out of a player like Josh Hill.

bornadog
14-05-2014, 10:42 PM
I'd go so far as to say that Easton is another example of Macca's ability to get players on board. Last year it was Grant and this year Easton is playing out of his skin.

I always wonder if he could have extracted something out of a player like Josh Hill.

Sorry can't agree with that. Wood has suffered from injuries and is now starting to mature as a player and getting more consistency that comes with experience. Of course the coach has influenced him but its not just that.

1eyedog
14-05-2014, 11:23 PM
Sorry can't agree with that. Wood has suffered from injuries and is now starting to mature as a player and getting more consistency that comes with experience. Of course the coach has influenced him but its not just that.

Agreed. Wood excited the senses in some games under Eade. He's always had the talent but has always been injury prone with little to no opportunity for on-field continuity. He obviousy feels very strong and confident with his body and I think that's showing. It was no surprise to me that GWS were very, very interested in him.

bornadog
05-05-2019, 09:24 PM
With Wood not having to play on an opponent 10cm taller than him, I thought he played a very good game last night. It was back to his spoiling and intercepting best.

angelopetraglia
05-05-2019, 10:10 PM
With Wood not having to play on an opponent 10cm taller than him, I thought he played a very good game last night. It was back to his spoiling and intercepting best.

100% agree. Some players are super versatile, some are not. History tells us that Wood is a third man up intercepting defender. Play him in that role!

Bumper Bulldogs
05-05-2019, 10:52 PM
Liked Woods game against Richmond. Some very nice things but more importantly I thought he was excellent in instruction others on position they need to be making. This was his best game in a very long time. Even as he didn’t have 30 touches.

Let’s hope this is the start of his way back ��

Bulldog4life
05-05-2019, 11:16 PM
That mark he took running backwards into the land of the unknown was super courageous.

ratsmac
06-05-2019, 12:32 AM
Liked Woods game against Richmond. Some very nice things but more importantly I thought he was excellent in instruction others on position they need to be making. This was his best game in a very long time. Even as he didn’t have 30 touches.

Yep ,he marshalled the troops down back beautifully.

Having Trengove back there not only to take the big Lynch but having his experience around showed too. Wood definitely plays better when he has older heads around him. He has struggled ever since Matty Boyd, Murphy and Morris haven't been down there. Woody looked a lot more confident and played with freedom knowing Trengove had his back.

AshMac
06-05-2019, 09:37 AM

Be nice to have him play back into some form. Amazing what putting a player like Trengove in the team does to release him. Also - thought Lynch spent way too much time in the goal square for a player not getting a kick - moved up the ground late but still very little so it seemed Easton was back to that interceptor role which we know he is a great at.