bornadog
30-04-2014, 12:06 PM
Just confirmed

soupman
30-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Is this good or bad news for us?

jeemak
30-04-2014, 01:34 PM
I won't be holding my breath for this to bode well for our club, but I'm happy to reserve judgement.

Never played against him, but remember him being quite vocal from the sidelines when missing a game due to injury (picking blokes on the field out for obnoxious criticism - typical private school ribbing you get in the ammos). Didn't find him particularly pleasant to be honest.

bornadog
30-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Is this good or bad news for us?

Heard Peter Gordon a few weeks ago say he gave him a tour of WO and found him very supportive of us. Peter also said he had his vote.

Happy Days
30-04-2014, 01:48 PM
I won't be holding my breath for this to bode well for our club, but I'm happy to reserve judgement.

Never played against him, but remember him being quite vocal from the sidelines when missing a game due to injury (picking blokes on the field out for obnoxious criticism - typical private school ribbing you get in the ammos). Didn't find him particularly pleasant to be honest.

Didn't pick you as a polo player man.

bornadog
30-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Bio...........

South Australian-born McLachlan joined the AFL with Demetriou in 2000, rising to the executive three years later and has been groomed as Demetriou’s successor for three years.Unlike Demetriou, McLachlan did not play the game at the highest level but joined the league as an amateur footballer with University Blues.
He filled in as CEO for two months in 2012 when Demetriou went on long service leave, and has also served as chief operating officer and acting head of football operations.
He has played key roles in the major AFL projects of recent years including the addition of the Gold Coast Suns and GWS Giants to the competition, and setting up the AFL media department and the re-negotiated broadcast deals.
He also oversaw the investigation into Melbourne’s tanking allegations and headed last year’s negotiations with Essendon over its controversial supplements program.
It’s believed he has the support of the majority of AFL clubs, including Collingwood president Eddie McGuire and his North Melbourne counterpart James Brayshaw.
McLachlan, also president of the Victorian Polo Club, was educated at Adelaide’s prestigious St Peter’s College.
He went on to study commerce in the city of churches before adding a law degree at Melbourne University.
He later worked as a management consultant for multinational company Accenture.
- with AAP

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/gillon-mclachlan-expects-any-show-cause-notices-by-the-end-of-may-20140430-zr1sn.html#ixzz30Knmrjhy

jeemak
30-04-2014, 02:02 PM
Didn't pick you as a polo player man.

Indeed. I meant ammo footy!

Axe Man
30-04-2014, 02:16 PM
New AFL chief Gillon McLachlan urged to make 'radical' change (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/new-afl-chief-gillon-mclachlan-urged-to-make-radical-change-20140430-zr1py.html?rand=1398823628910)

Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has urged new AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan to "radically review" policies of affordability when he officially begins in the top job.

McLachan, groomed by Andrew Demetriou to be his successor for the past three years, was announced as the new CEO at an 11am press conference at AFL House.

The AFL has endured a rugged opening to the season, with ticket prices, the cost of food and drink and general affordability of matches for families one area of concern among supporters.

Gordon, in charge of one of the AFL's battling clubs, said McLachlan, 40, would make alleviating these concerns a priority.

"I think the whole question of affordability of the game for the average fan is something that the AFL needs to take a whole new look at. Not just a question of ticket pricing, but the question of affordability generally in terms of access to the game," he said.

"I think we need to be encouraging people to be at the game. More and more we are competing against TV to watch our own product.

"I just think we need to introduce policies that radically review the question of how easy it is for a family to take their kids to the game and enjoy it as generations of Australians have over the last 100 years."

Speaking on 3AW, Gordon said there was a "tension point" between the AFL's right to make a profit and the need to keep the sport within reach of the average family.

"We clearly haven't got that balance right. I think that will be one of the priorities for Gillon," he said.

Gordon said he had been impressed with McLachlan's negotiation skills, having worked closely with him on the equalisation sub-committee.

"I think he would have learnt a lot from working with Andrew Demetriou," he said.

McLachlan, born into a wealthy South Australian farming family, is renowned for his negotiation skills, although Essendon supporters have questioned how he handled the supplements issue last year which resulted in the suspension of coach James Hird and other staff. However, he has the support of the majority of clubs.

He has been involved in all major deals in recent times. He is also overseeing the game's next broadcast rights contract, negotiating with the Western Australian government over Perth's new football stadium, planning the AFL's strategy over the potential purchase of Etihad Stadium and working with Cricket Victoria and St Kilda over a proposed joint venture at the Junction Oval.

McLachlan has three children with wife Laura, the daughter of wealthy former Spotless chairman Brian Blythe. He has a strong love for suburban football and is still a regular attendee at Uni Blues matches in the VAFA where he was a former ruckman, best and fairest and is a life member.

He is well connected with friends in major industries and through the football world, including Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley and Elite Sports Properties boss Craig Kelly.

McLachlan's impressive resume includes a Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Adelaide and a Bachelor of Laws (hons) from the University of Melbourne.

He worked in a strategic role at Anderson Consulting (now Accenture) which involved a number of industries in several countries. This included a six-month contract in the Philippines.

He joined the AFL in 2000 as a strategic planner under then AFL chief Wayne Jackson and was appointed general manager commercial operations in November 2003 before taking on the key broadcasting major projects roles in 2006.

He became chief operating officer in 2008 with the responsibility for broadcasting and digital media, fixturing, venue agreements and stadia infrastructure.

Having been approached to leave and run the National Rugby League in 2012, the AFL moved swiftly to retain him, ensuring he was given a healthy pay rise and elevated into the deputy CEO role.

bulldogtragic
30-04-2014, 05:30 PM
No real surprise, I think the club would be happy with this as GM is apparently supportive of equalisation and revenue sharing concepts that our club is advocating.

I'm not sure why he played footy is even relevant in the news stories. I strongly believe our best CEO was Cam Rose and he openly joked about not knowing all the rules to the game.

GVGjr
30-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Massive appointment at a very difficult period for the game. I'm optimistic he will give us a fair shake

Throughandthrough
30-04-2014, 11:23 PM
And he's a South Australian!

FrediKanoute
30-04-2014, 11:30 PM
Time will tell. He has had a good grounding in the AFL and the CEO is often as much a political appointment as it is a functional one.

Twodogs
01-05-2014, 01:16 AM

We played touch footy against a team that had Adrian Anderson one night and he was a lippy little git. Didn't enjoy copping it back either.

Twodogs
01-05-2014, 01:22 AM
Anyway back to the topic I think the Gilmeister is the best possible outcome for the club.he made all the right noises about equalisation today at his presser.

lemmon
01-05-2014, 01:40 AM
Anyway back to the topic I think the Gilmeister is the best possible outcome for the club.he made all the right noises about equalisation today at his presser.

Not to mention prices for the fans

Remi Moses
01-05-2014, 02:56 AM

Nobodies perfect

LostDoggy
01-05-2014, 08:53 AM

Hopefully the noises translate to action. I get the worrying feeling much of the talk is just that.

LostDoggy
01-05-2014, 12:12 PM
Good luck to him, he seems very sharp and my girlfriend thinks he's a stud so at least she agrees with the appointment.

The guy has had a charmed life, I find it a little bit discouraging that he got his start with the AFL through nepotism from his father in laws relationship with Ron Evans. But from all reports the 'what ya know' has quickly caught up with the 'who ya know' and he has been a spendid advocate of the game and apparently a terrific negotiator. Being in sales myself, what I wouldn't do to be sitting on the AFL side of the boardroom when TV rights, Stadium deals, etc, were in play. It's like calling Luke Nolan the best jockey in the world, because he never got beaten on Black Caviar.

Alas, I've always been a strong advocate for Tall Poppy Syndrome (thinking about starting up a charity, obviously our ribbons would be a bright shade of green!)

bornadog
01-05-2014, 01:37 PM
Affordability is the key issue for Gillon McLachlan, says Bulldogs boss Peter Gordon

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/affordability-is-the-key-issue-for-gillon-mclachlan-says-bulldogs-boss-peter-gordon-20140430-zr1py.html#ixzz30Qa00YVM

Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has urged new AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan to "radically review" policies of affordability when he officially begins in the top job.

McLachan, groomed by Andrew Demetriou to be his successor for the past three years, was announced as the new CEO at at AFL House on Wednesday.
The AFL has endured a rugged opening to the season, with ticket prices, the cost of food and drink and general affordability of matches for families one area of concern among supporters.

Gordon, in charge of one of the AFL's battling clubs, said McLachlan, 40, would make alleviating these concerns a priority.
"I think the whole question of affordability of the game for the average fan is something that the AFL needs to take a whole new look at. Not just a question of ticket pricing, but the question of affordability generally in terms of access to the game," he said.
"I think we need to be encouraging people to be at the game. More and more we are competing against TV to watch our own product.
"I just think we need to introduce policies that radically review the question of how easy it is for a family to take their kids to the game and enjoy it as generations of Australians have over the last 100 years."
Speaking on 3AW, Gordon said there was a "tension point" between the AFL's right to make a profit and the need to keep the sport within reach of the average family.
"We clearly haven't got that balance right. I think that will be one of the priorities for Gillon," he said.
Gordon said he had been impressed with McLachlan's negotiation skills, having worked closely with him on the equalisation sub-committee.
"I think he would have learnt a lot from working with Andrew Demetriou," he said.

Throughandthrough
01-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Who does he barrack fo4?

Greystache
01-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Who does he barrack fo4?

St Kilda

Flamethrower
01-05-2014, 01:49 PM
St Kilda in AFL. Sturt in SANFL.

New NBA commish Adam Silver certainly raised the bar for incoming CEOs yesterday. His handling of the abhorrent situation with LA Clippers owner Donald Sterling was outstanding.

Bulldog4life
01-05-2014, 01:52 PM

Let's not hold that against him.;)

Throughandthrough
01-05-2014, 05:46 PM
St Kilda in AFL. Sturt in SANFL.

Bloody Sturt. Should have known as soon as Polo was mentioned. Was always gonna be them or Norwood over here. But barracking for the Aints is a surprise.

Go_Dogs
01-05-2014, 07:09 PM
Must say I was a bit surprised by Sturt. I guess the upshot is we have a Saints boy (the school) in Big Will. Look after him/us Gill.

westdog54
01-05-2014, 08:35 PM
We played touch footy against a team that had Adrian Anderson one night and he was a lippy little git. Didn't enjoy copping it back either.

He was also a ****ing cheat.

I'm happy enough with this appointment if he has PG's endorsement.

boydogs
01-05-2014, 09:59 PM
I'm happy enough with this appointment if he has PG's endorsement.

Never a good move to oppose an appointment that is obviously going to happen