PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Boyd

Twodogs
05-05-2014, 10:20 PM
Matty really seems to have lifted his game since handing over the captaincy. He doesn't have the weight of the world on his shoulders anymore and no longer tries to do everything when he get the ball (break two tackles, blind turn and a sixty metre torpedo)

This year He's playing whithin his limitations, often taking the first option to present and finding it most times. I've liked his year so far.

bornadog
05-05-2014, 11:22 PM
I agree, I think he is having a very good start to the season and getting alot of possessions and not wasting them so much as previously. Definitely better off not being captain.

stefoid
05-05-2014, 11:36 PM
Hes like 'hey, I can kick the ball to space in front of a player and they can run onto it? - whoaaaaahhh'

The Bulldogs Bite
05-05-2014, 11:45 PM
Career best form IMO after Round 2.

Still doing all the tough, uncompromising stuff, he's smothered a few key opponents and he's certainly using the ball within his limitations really well.

In a year where Griff has been injured/average, Libba inconsistent/struggling with a tag and Cooney up and down, Boydy has carried our midfield IMO.

Twodogs
06-05-2014, 12:26 AM
Hes like 'hey, I can kick the ball to space in front of a player and they can run onto it? - whoaaaaahhh'

How long has this been going on?

Twodogs
06-05-2014, 12:30 AM
Career best form IMO after Round 2.

Still doing all the tough, uncompromising stuff, he's smothered a few key opponents and he's certainly using the ball within his limitations really well.

In a year where Griff has been injured/average, Libba inconsistent/struggling with a tag and Cooney up and down, Boydy has carried our midfield IMO.

He's stepped up to take the Daniel Cross midfield role at times not only has his disposal been more efficient his defensive and second efforts have been noticeable too.

SonofScray
06-05-2014, 09:18 AM
Huge improvement on last season, even if his stats line up reasonably well across a number of seasons. He has found a bit more balance in his game and to my observations is paying closer attention to his man. When you add that his elite qualities and have a guy fit and not carrying any niggles you have a very valuable player.

stefoid
06-05-2014, 10:21 AM
How long has this been going on?

A couple of times a game this year he's kicked in front/side of his teammates rather than at them and Ive thought - the previous version would not have done that.

azabob
06-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Agree with the above thoughts, hopefully his goal kicking can improve. He has missed a few vital shots at key stages in matches.

1eyedog
06-05-2014, 11:25 AM
He's stepped up to take the Daniel Cross midfield role at times not only has his disposal been more efficient his defensive and second efforts have been noticeable too.

His periphery vision and lowering of the eyes has improved markedly this season. His output is what we should expect of someone of his ability.

Twodogs
06-05-2014, 11:37 AM
I reckon he'd be leading the B & F ATM.

1eyedog
06-05-2014, 12:25 PM

Higgins would be around the mark too.

Twodogs
06-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Higgins probably deserves a thread of his own I reckon.

1eyedog
06-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Higgins probably deserves a thread of his own I reckon.

Yeah he's got one...just saying...

The Pie Man
06-05-2014, 01:59 PM
Boyd's last quarter against GWS was enormous (15 disp) and he has looked cleaner kicking to a lead.

Can still pick some moments that costs us (short & too high to Dahl on the lead in the last qtr vs Adelaide for example) but have been happy with his game overall this year.

Remi Moses
06-05-2014, 02:28 PM
Just wondering if that blast he got from Jack Macrae sprung Boyd into life?

always right
06-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Just wondering if that blast he got from Jack Macrae sprung Boyd into life?

Nah...I reckon he has finally got the message after reading all the constructive advice over the years from posters on this board.:)

Greystache
06-05-2014, 04:59 PM

I wouldn't think so. I'm not sure about the last couple of weeks, but the first 3 or 4 games the coaching staff weren't exactly glowing in their appraisal of his performances.

I'd think Picken would be at the front.

LostDoggy
06-05-2014, 07:23 PM
On him to win the brownlow at $420 ...

LostDoggy
06-05-2014, 08:23 PM
I wouldn't think so. I'm not sure about the last couple of weeks, but the first 3 or 4 games the coaching staff weren't exactly glowing in their appraisal of his performances.

I'd think Picken would be at the front.

Boyd would be right up there but I agree, hard to go past Picken so far.

anfo27
06-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Have knocked Matty quite a bit over the years but have to admit i think he is playing well so far this year. Keep it up Matty.

Twodogs
06-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Have knocked Matty quite a bit over the years but have to admit i think he is playing well so far this year. Keep it up Matty.

That's one of the reasons I started the thread. I've been a pretty fierce critic of Matty Boyd over the last few years.

Happy Days
06-05-2014, 09:19 PM
I still hate Boyd so much but as I said elsewhere he's been fantastic this year. Finally playing with the poise that should be expected of a guy of his experience. Also he seems faster and better by foot; maybe the captaincy was a real burden on him?

Kudos to the guy, but everything bad that happens is still his fault/his man; at least until I totally crack it with Jones.

KT31
07-05-2014, 11:49 AM
I still hate Boyd so much but as I said elsewhere he's been fantastic this year. Finally playing with the poise that should be expected of a guy of his experience. Also he seems faster and better by foot; maybe the captaincy was a real burden on him?

Kudos to the guy, but everything bad that happens is still his fault/his man; at least until I totally crack it with Jones.

Won't take long if he continues with his lack of form and second efforts.

azabob
07-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Won't take long if he continues with his lack of form and second efforts.

Wasn't Jones our best big forward on Saturday night? Granted not much competition.

KT31
07-05-2014, 12:32 PM
Wasn't Jones our best big forward on Saturday night? Granted not much competition.

Agreed, I get frustrated by his lack of chase and his second attempts.

Mofra
07-05-2014, 02:44 PM
I still hate Boyd so much
Hate Boyd?

Wow

Happy Days
07-05-2014, 04:45 PM
Hate Boyd?

Wow

I don't *actually* hate Boyd dude.

At the moment he's kind of like the girl who had a crush on you in early high school who used to annoy the piss out of you but then suddenly got way hot by working on their kicking skills and decision making.

bulldogtragic
07-05-2014, 05:47 PM
If I was Matty I would be asking the club to give me a new contract. He's done well to date.

Scorlibo
07-05-2014, 10:49 PM
If I was Matty I would be asking the club to give me a new contract. He's done well to date.

Hard to see him finishing any time soon with the form he's in.

stefoid
07-05-2014, 11:29 PM

At the moment he's kind of like the girl who had a crush on you in early high school who used to annoy the piss out of you but then suddenly got way hot by working on their kicking skills and decision making.

ha ha ha da fuq

westdog54
09-05-2014, 07:22 AM

Girls become hot by working on their kicking skills and decision making? Whatever floats your boat...

Like most I couldn't be happier with Matty's resurgence.

The Underdog
09-05-2014, 09:52 AM
Agree, I had him "Crossy'd" after the North game, but he's been exceptional recently. Good on him.

bornadog
30-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Not enough love for this bloke.

I see Matthew Boyd as the ultimate professional athlete and footballer, in that he gives everything for the club and the team, and his preparation, training and the way he goes about it is something all young footballers should strive for. We know he has some flaws with his disposal, but gee as a footballer he is inspirational to all the young recruits.

Having a great season, and I for one think he is still in our top 22. We need him to keep firing, especially with Griffen and Cooney out of the team

LostDoggy
30-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Agree.

He was massive for us in the first half against the dees. He is a great player and deserves alot of respect

Bulldog4life
30-06-2014, 10:51 PM

I see Matthew Boyd as the ultimate professional athlete and footballer, in that he gives everything for the club and the team, and his preparation, training and the way he goes about it is something all young footballers should strive for. We know he has some flaws with his disposal, but gee as a footballer he is inspirational to all the young recruits.

Having a great season, and I for one think he is still in our top 22. We need him to keep firing, especially with Griffen and Cooney out of the team

Agree totally BAD. Personally I hope he is with us next year too.

Remi Moses
30-06-2014, 11:25 PM
Been a great player for us, but I'd still move him on at years end.
Club is playing the long game and should keep that path .
Just can't afford to many 30 plus players. Nothing against him

Webby
30-06-2014, 11:32 PM
I absolutely admire the hell out of Matthew Boyd for his professionalism and application to getting as much out of himself as possible..

However, for the good of the club, guys like Wallis and Smith need to be owning that spot from next year on.

bulldogtragic
30-06-2014, 11:43 PM
I absolutely admire the hell out of Matthew Boyd for his professionalism and application to getting as much out of himself as possible..

However, for the good of the club, guys like Wallis and Smith need to be owning that spot from next year on.

Spot on Webby.

boydogs
01-07-2014, 01:09 AM

There's not a lot behind him though. Only Goodes born in 83 or 84 who will probably go

bornadog
01-07-2014, 01:30 AM
Been a great player for us, but I'd still move him on at years end.
Club is playing the long game and should keep that path .

We need him to mentor those guys and others. No way he is going anywhere soon. Another year I reckon and then he is done.

Bulldog4life
01-07-2014, 12:42 PM
We need him to mentor those guys and others. No way he is going anywhere soon. Another year I reckon and then he is done.

Yep.

chef
01-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Yep, same for me. Still has a heap to offer and is playing well enough to keep going.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-07-2014, 04:33 PM

Boyd appears to have had a new lease of life since being relieved of the leadership. Matthew is a handy back up to Griff, Libba and Wallis and deserves another year. It is very hard to criticize his endeavor which was again outstanding against Melbourne and a huge factor in getting us over the line.

lemmon
01-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Would not have won without him on the weekend, his work around the stoppages was terrific. I still think too often he is used as the first receiver off a stoppage rather than the guy winning it off hands, it just doesn't suit his play when he is forced to receive and then dispose under pressure. I'd much prefer he does the Libba, genuine in and under work and is the guy dishing out to Macrae, Hrovat, Bonti etc or Griffen and Cooney when they are fit. On this years form alone he deserves another year.

Remi Moses
02-07-2014, 12:30 AM

Those guys shouldn't be needing mentoring after this season.
They'll have reached the 70 game threshold .

bornadog
02-07-2014, 05:17 AM
Those guys shouldn't be needing mentoring after this season.
They'll have reached the 70 game threshold .
Whatever

Happy Days
02-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Boyd would be winning our b&f if he played every game this year at his current output.

And I really do hate the guy.

This discussion about whether we should keep him next year or for however longer is stupid and preconceived.

Bulldog4life
02-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Boyd would be winning our b&f if he played every game this year at his current output.

And I really do hate the guy.

This discussion about whether we should keep him next year or for however longer is stupid and preconceived.

That's sad.

Remi Moses
04-07-2014, 07:15 AM
Whatever

You sound like my 10 year old daughter.
Merely making a point with so many of our players reaching the stage where their comfortable in their own skin,that they don't need mentoring.
Surely that baton could be handed over to some other senior players.

The Underdog
04-07-2014, 07:29 AM
You sound like my 10 year old daughter.
Merely making a point with so many of our players reaching the stage where their comfortable in their own skin,that they don't need mentoring.
Surely that baton could be handed over to some other senior players.

Boyd is still in our best 22 which Cross wasn't any longer. The other players may not need to be mentored but if they want games they need to prove they're better than a 32 yo man. I think Boyd deserves another year.

LostDoggy
04-07-2014, 10:00 AM
Boyd is still in our best 22 which Cross wasn't any longer. The other players may not need to be mentored but if they want games they need to prove they're better than a 32 yo man. I think Boyd deserves another year.

Whatever