PDA

View Full Version : Coach's Office - Fletcher Roberts (Rd7)

bornadog
06-05-2014, 06:25 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2014-05-06/coachs-office-fletcher-roberts-rd7

Fletcher Roberts’ stocks are rising at the Western Bulldogs this season and Development Coach Ashley Hansen says the versatile tall’s efforts are not going unnoticed.“I think Fletch has just been building for the last few months really,” Hansen said
“He had a really consistent pre-season, which has given him a really strong base, and an injury free run at playing each week and getting consistency - not only on the track but in his performance on the weekend.”
Despite being drafted as a forward, Roberts has acquitted himself well as part of the back six and is showing increasing confidence when playing as a close-checking defender.
“[He’s a] really versatile player Fletch, [he] can play forward or back, but has been playing mainly in defence for us in the last month, on their key position forwards,” he said.
“[He] has been doing a really good job for us, he’s been really consistent in his defensive application.
“One of his great strengths, Fletch, is his ball use and his composure when he’s got it to make the right decisions.
“Those are now starting to come out on a regular basis, which is definitely pushing him up for selection.”
The 20-year-old has impressed both out on the track as well as on match day for Footscray, as he strives to improve in every aspect of his game.
“Fletch is really diligent with his vision, with his preparation and his work, he’s got a really good professional attitude, so he’s getting the best out of himself,” he said.
“But he’s still a work in progress, and he knows that, but it’s good that he’s had a, you know, consistent run on the weekends where he’s started to apply his craft.”
Named among the best players in three of his five games in the VFL this season, has been listed as an emergency for the past two consecutive weeks in the senior side.

bornadog
06-05-2014, 06:27 PM
Will he play this week?

Cyberdoggie
07-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Will he play this week?

Talia on the nose already?

The club seems keen to talk up Fletcher lately, I think partly to boost his confidence.

I can't see him coming in this week but you never know.

Wouldn't surprise me to see little or no changes this week.

I think we need more run and carry out of defence, but there isn't a lot of options other than Tutt who isn't a coach favourite, and Goodes who is inconsistent.

bornadog
07-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Talia on the nose already?

I think we need another genuine tall in the backline. Morris can then be freed up so we can use him how we want.

So then we have FB, CHB and Morris

Go_Dogs
07-05-2014, 06:14 PM
I remember being really impressed with his ball use at senior level in 2012. (Albeit a very small sample size)

I'm hopeful he gets a run soon, whether it's this week or not, who knows.

Remi Moses
07-05-2014, 06:17 PM
Surely good consistent form of Tutt and Roberts deserves senior recall.
Reward form and effort

The Bulldogs Bite
07-05-2014, 10:54 PM
What role will he play at AFL level?

I don't think he's big/strong enough to play as the second defender. For mine, he is a third defender, not too dissimilar to a Stratton (or R. Hargrave) - not necessarily in style, but in terms of position.

Scorlibo
07-05-2014, 11:15 PM
What role will he play at AFL level?

I don't think he's big/strong enough to play as the second defender. For mine, he is a third defender, not too dissimilar to a Stratton (or R. Hargrave) - not necessarily in style, but in terms of position.

Not big enough? He's 196cm! From what I've seen of him, his only conceivable position is a key post. Very strong 1v1, good reader of the play.

1eyedog
08-05-2014, 12:52 AM
Not big enough? He's 196cm! From what I've seen of him, his only conceivable position is a key post. Very strong 1v1, good reader of the play.

Agreed. I've watched two Footscray games this year and he is plenty big enough and looks to have good strength body wise - although he doesn't always take advantage of it.

Hot_Doggies
08-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Problem isn't size, he lacks pace.

1eyedog
08-05-2014, 11:07 AM
Problem isn't size, he lacks pace.

Maybe but he's quicker than Markovic I know that and we played him a fair bit last season. He's also bigger than Marko, reads the play better, is a better decision maker and is a better kick. He will definitely get extended time in the 1s to prove he isn't good enough.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-05-2014, 03:49 PM
He might be tall, but he's not a strong competitive beast of a defender that could hold his own against the gorilla forwards.

He reads the play well and positions himself well, rather than using brute force IMO.

Maddog37
08-05-2014, 03:55 PM
Haven't seen much of him live other than last Sunday but he played tight and spoiled very well as a key defender. Kicking was very nice and he looks like he has a good frame to build on. Not much of a day for forwards though so his job was made a bit easier in that regard you would have to say.

1eyedog
08-05-2014, 06:42 PM
He might be tall, but he's not a strong competitive beast of a defender that could hold his own against the gorilla forwards.

He reads the play well and positions himself well, rather than using brute force IMO.

He's only 20 and came in with a very slight frame. He's come a long way but clearly needs more time in the weights room and also to build confidence. He'll be much stronger at 22-23 and more capable of holding his own one on one. He's got everything else, developing strength is the easy part.

F'scary
09-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Do we ever need this guy to come good.

Otherwise, next stop...Cordy.

GVGjr
11-05-2014, 12:31 AM
What did we all think of Roberts performance tonight?

whythelongface
11-05-2014, 12:38 AM
Thought he did a reasonable job defensively on Frawley. Definitely worth persisting with.

boydogs
11-05-2014, 12:47 AM

Didn't see a lot of him on TV, who did he mostly play on?

Remi Moses
11-05-2014, 12:48 AM
Have to keep him in .He was pretty reasonable

GVGjr
11-05-2014, 12:49 AM
Didn't see a lot of him on TV, who did he mostly play on?

Spent a bit of time on Frawley

Scorlibo
11-05-2014, 01:03 AM

He looks an AFL defender. He was involved in a fair chunk of the play in the first quarter but for whatever reason wasn't sighted in many contests from there on in (at least on TV evidence). I like him.

LostDoggy
11-05-2014, 01:05 AM
He goes about his business quietly but he looks like he belongs. I think he deserves a few weeks.

boydogs
11-05-2014, 01:31 AM
Spent a bit of time on Frawley

Went alright then, only saw Frawley when Stringer was on him

LostDoggy
11-05-2014, 02:10 AM
I thought he played rather well, was very composed under immense pressure. Good game, hope he keeps his spot.

jeemak
11-05-2014, 02:26 AM
He was unnoticeable as was his opponent for a fair portion of the game - aside from getting a leg-up from some clean forward movement.

Unnoticeable is a good start.

soupman
11-05-2014, 09:56 AM
We rotated opponents fairly frequently down there from what i saw. I think he spent most of his time swapping between Frawley and Pederson.

GVGjr
11-05-2014, 10:09 AM
We rotated opponents fairly frequently down there from what i saw. I think he spent most of his time swapping between Frawley and Pederson.

I had a look at the replay this morning and yes he played on a few opponents.

F'scary
11-05-2014, 08:50 PM
And remember the old saying:

A Roberts on match day helps keep the Cordy away.