PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned - Round 8 Edition

Eastdog
08-05-2014, 01:28 AM
Once the Round 8 match against Melbourne is completed, let us know the three things you learned after watching the match.

Be constructive but be honest.

bulldogtragic
10-05-2014, 10:58 PM
That's 3. Three. :)

bulldogtragic
10-05-2014, 11:36 PM
1. Stew has been worth the coin we threw his way
2. Tutty is showing more good things than average things, and this is a good thing
3. Libba is a beast

Scorlibo
10-05-2014, 11:44 PM
1. Jason Tutt will be playing a full AFL game in Round 9.

2. The Coondog can still find something on an empty tank in tight games.

3. Stewie Crameri has temper problems and needs to arrest them quickly.

whythelongface
10-05-2014, 11:49 PM
1/ The umpiring just gets worse and worse;

2/ We may not be pretty but we are damn tough;

3/ Tommy Williams is one tough unit to play out that game carrying an injury and contributing to the result.

bornadog
10-05-2014, 11:53 PM
1. The AFL have really stuffed a great product and its becoming closer to Rugby Union.

2. If you play four quarters you win

3. Some people are never happy, win or lose.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-05-2014, 11:57 PM
1. All levels of umpiring tonight was sub-standard. Field umpires gave Melbourne players a free ride all night, but also made some howlers in our favour, none more so than the free kick to Crameri that gave us the lead. The boundary umpires - There must've been a dozen throw in's the fell several metres shy of the rucks. And the goal umpire reviews tonight just confirmed how amateur we are at it.

2. Our tackling tonight, both collectively with 104 tackles for the game, and individually, with Libba 15, Griff 14, Macrae 11, Boyd 10, Tutt and Picken 8 tackles. If we can maintain that effort around the ball, we will be in most games each week.
3. Williams- a real special and inspiring effort to not only come back on the field, but to make a very important contribution with 3 goals. Probably won some fans over tonight with his bravery and commitment.

F'scary
11-05-2014, 12:01 AM
1. Williams plays better when he is injured - go figure that one out.

Back with the other 2 later.

jeemak
11-05-2014, 12:10 AM
1. If you're a developing player and you learn to compete, do the basics right and throw your attributes at the opposition you'll be more likely to have a good day. Tutt did this, Stringer and Hunter need to do it more often

2. Tom Williams repaid some debt to our club tonight, in spades. Very tough effort and will hopefully work on that performance

3. Our senior players still need to perform for us to be better than teams like Melbourne, and need to work harder for longer. Daniel Cross showed us what was required from senior experienced players in the first half and a bit tonight, and many could take a lot from the way he went about it from a work rate perspective

always right
11-05-2014, 12:50 AM
1. Not sure pushing Dahl into the midfield is the best approach at the moment. Whilst he got a fair bit of the ball I reckon that is the least dangerous I've seen him look. I really think we need him playing up forward where he might get less of the ball but is far more damaging.
2. Will is really struggling this year. Not for the first time he lowered his colours. I do rest however how he battles on single handedly.
3. Jake Stringer again did some good things in defence. A couple of mistakes but he's getting some continuity in his game. Like how he's developing.

Sedat
11-05-2014, 12:58 AM
1. We are an ordinary team but we are also a very honest team. As the quality of our list improves, we will become a very difficult opponent in most weeks.

2. Where are the moron scribes who prematurely jumped on the 'Melbourne stuffed' up bandwagon with their Dom Tyson/Josh Kelly trade? Tyson was elite tonight with his clearance work and inside 50 penetration and has been very good all season. That's not to even factor in Christian Salem - not a bad set of steak knives in that deal.

3. When we are switched on, our defensive effort around the ground is very consistent. Tonight was a very good defensive performance to absorb as much pressure as we did - 12 goals conceded from 55 inside 50's is a strong night's work (nice to win a game when we were well beaten in contested possessions and clearances)

LostDoggy
11-05-2014, 01:02 AM
1. Luke Darcy is a dogs supporter, everyone knows this Luke, no need to over compensate the other way.
2. Sometimes it feels like everything is against the dogs.
3. Free kicks could be 100 - 1 in Melbourne's favour and their supporters would still boo that 1.

jeemak
11-05-2014, 01:04 AM
1. Luke Darcy is a dogs supporter, everyone knows this Luke, no need to over compensate the other way.
2. Sometimes it feels like everything is against the dogs.
3. Free kicks could be 100 - 1 in Melbourne's favour and their supporters would still boo that 1.

Hahaha, the Dees supporters on FB are out of control. Jack Viney and Nathan Jones got a looked after well tonight.

boydogs
11-05-2014, 01:16 AM
1. We don't know how to get seperation on an opponent and lead at the ball carrier, anywhere on the ground

2. It is possible to make Dale Morris look hopelessly undersized

3. Libba's still got it

jeemak
11-05-2014, 01:52 AM
1. We don't know how to get seperation on an opponent and lead at the ball carrier, anywhere on the ground

2. It is possible to make Dale Morris look hopelessly undersized

3. Libba's still got it

For me, the biggest issue I have with Bmac's game style. The players are so intent on setting a position and getting to a contest to neutralise it that they really struggle to get the separation as you say.

Hopefully as it becomes easier for us to get the ball the team learns how to get it again but in a much easier fashion.

LostDoggy
11-05-2014, 01:56 AM
1. Jason Tutt will be playing a full AFL game in Round 9.

During the bye?

1. As frustrating as this game is, it's worth every minute. My daughter belting out the song on my shoulder made the past few weeks irrelevant.
2. Although sometimes we fear our young guys are getting ahead of themselves, Melbourne's are more so. If they hadn't spent the night trying to do a Jeremy Howe, they might've won.
3. It is better to let yourself get tackled so you can flat out throw the ball. You won't be pinged.

G-Mo77
11-05-2014, 02:02 AM
3. Some people are never happy, win or lose.

Just got home and surprised by a few comments in the game thread. Sad really.

1. Tommy Williams has got a massive ticker.

2. Libba just keeps getting better.

3. We're going to have some issues at the selection table next round. Williams, Jones certain to miss. Who comes in?

boydogs
11-05-2014, 02:59 AM
Who comes in?

Smith, Stevens, Bontempelli & Grant were good in the VFL today

G-Mo77
11-05-2014, 03:02 AM
Smith, Stevens, Bontempelli & Grant were good in the VFL today

Both Williams and Jones have been our tall forwards. We're going to lose both. Grant an outside chance to cover the others are mids.

Remi Moses
11-05-2014, 03:21 AM
1. Gutsy effort from Williams to get out there( looks a calf?)
Guess everyone's so frustrated by his injuries ( god knows how he does it mentally)
2. Libba back to his best tonight
3. Could we transplant some of Crameri's work rate and place it inside Jones.

LostDoggy
11-05-2014, 08:02 AM
1. Whoever came on in Williams Guernsey is a keeper.
2. We are great at some things (tackling) and poor at other (kicking and catching).
3. Surely more appropriate, reliable and effective cameras are available for score reviews. Snicko? Hotspot? Or just forget it!

westdog54
11-05-2014, 08:14 AM
1. Williams is a Lionheart. Magnificent effort.
2. Tutt will make it as a footballer.
3. I may have underestimated just how good Libba is.

chef
11-05-2014, 08:53 AM
1. Crameri is worth every cent.
2. This is a game style that'll win finals IMO, just got to get the right players/development. Give me a game like this over a basketball ball crap shootout any day.
3. Williams body may be fragile, but his heart aint.

1eyedog
11-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Just got home and surprised by a few comments in the game thread. Sad really.

1. Tommy Williams has got a massive ticker.

2. Libba just keeps getting better.

3. We're going to have some issues at the selection table next round. Williams, Jones certain to miss. Who comes in?

Why is it sad that some people see the game differently? I'm happy with the four points but at the game I thought they looked the better team for large chunks of it and could have easily won it. We had no forward line and scored a few lucky late goals to win it. Very gutsy win by us but it's ok to be frustrated by the way we are playing.

1. The game plan seems to be 100% effort and endeavor and that's about it.

2. Really glad we got Crameri but he must be frustrated with the lack of support and I think that showed tonight.

3. Easton Wood is a transformed player.

G-Mo77
11-05-2014, 09:12 AM
Why is it sad that some people see the game differently? I'm happy with the four points but at the game I thought they looked the better team for large chunks of it and could have easily won it. We had no forward line and scored a few lucky late goals to win it. Very gutsy win by us but it's ok to be frustrated by the way we are playing.

Lucky late goals? Crameri's was a shocking free kick I'll grant that but the other two came from our own hard work. Sometimes you make you're own luck and earned some. We stepped up a gear very late in that game and deserved that win.

1eyedog
11-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Lucky late goals? Crameri's was a shocking free kick I'll grant that but the other two came from our own hard work. Sometimes you make you're own luck and earned some. We stepped up a gear very late in that game and deserved that win.

I agree that our hard work up the ground created the opportunity to score but those late goals were all scrappy goals with little to no forward structure. Happy with the win I thought our endeavor was excellent, but our forward line structure is non-existent. We're winning ugly ATM but as others have said we need to learn how to do this.

G-Mo77
11-05-2014, 10:58 AM
I agree that our hard work up the ground created the opportunity to score but those late goals were all scrappy goals with little to no forward structure. Happy with the win I thought our endeavor was excellent, but our forward line structure is non-existent. We're winning ugly ATM but as others have said we need to learn how to do this.

Don't disagree at all mate. One thing I will give our forwards credit for is when it gets in there they make it hard for the opposition to get it out. Our pressure acts in the forward half have improved greatly. To say it nicely our forward line is a working progress.

Surprisingly our scoring from our inside 50's was very efficient last night.

chef
11-05-2014, 11:00 AM

24 scores from 42 inside 50's is not a bad effort.

always right
11-05-2014, 11:55 AM

I think the concern last night was that most of our goals were opportunistic. Very few came from a standard lead, kick, mark situation.

ledge
11-05-2014, 12:00 PM
I'm seeing it as not the forwards fault more the delivery in, we don't lower our eyes and spot up a lead, even when we do try and spot up we give the ball too much air, giving the backs a chance to
Compete and punch

1eyedog
11-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Don't disagree at all mate. One thing I will give our forwards credit for is when it gets in there they make it hard for the opposition to get it out. Our pressure acts in the forward half have improved greatly. To say it nicely our forward line is a working progress.

Surprisingly our scoring from our inside 50's was very efficient last night.

Agree with this. When we got it in there we locked it in and fought tooth and nail to keep it there.

That number really surprises me considering we barely took a mark inside 50 in the second half. These sorts of numbers suggests we set up with lead out mark and goal options which we just didn't have. We wouldn't get away with this with any middle of the road side. We need Williams, Dicko (when fit), Jones (when he returns) and Crameri to keep providing options for our midfield who in turn could start doing our forwards a favour by learning to lower their eyes. So many get out of jail long kicks to no one inside the F50 last night.

always right
11-05-2014, 12:18 PM
This might be incredibly naive but I don't understand why every forward pushes up to the ground so that when we do get the ball on a break there is no-one to kick to. Is it dumb of me to ask why we couldn't have at least one forward who remains deep in a one on one situation? Someone who has a better than even chance of beating his opponent.....Crameri? Hunter? Dahl?

chef
11-05-2014, 12:26 PM
I think the concern last night was that most of our goals were opportunistic. Very few came from a standard lead, kick, mark situation.

I think that had more to do with the delivery.

always right
11-05-2014, 12:34 PM
I think that had more to do with the delivery.
And the fact that our forwards very rarely manage to get separation from their opponent.

The sooner we get Grant back into the side the better.....he creates a far more potent mix.

G-Mo77
11-05-2014, 12:59 PM
This might be incredibly naive but I don't understand why every forward pushes up to the ground so that when we do get the ball on a break there is no-one to kick to. Is it dumb of me to ask why we couldn't have at least one forward who remains deep in a one on one situation? Someone who has a better than even chance of beating his opponent.....Crameri? Hunter? Dahl?

Happened a lot last night didn't it. It forces us to stop and slow down while our forwards set up again. Not sure if our players are pushing to far up or it's instructed. I personally don't like it.

azabob
11-05-2014, 01:10 PM
Happened a lot last night didn't it. It forces us to stop and slow down while our forwards set up again. Not sure if our players are pushing to far up or it's instructed. I personally don't like it.

But all clubs do it, don't they?

LostDoggy
11-05-2014, 02:59 PM
My understanding of the theory is that its to stop the opposition gaining an 18 to 17 advantage in their forward press.... Sounds ridiculous to write and looks ridiculous to watch. Can only assume the stats show unequivocably that its the right thing to do as everyone does seem to do it nowadays. It's becoming more and more a basketball, rugby, soccer hybrid and I morn a little each week it goes on. Hopefully the game will find its way back...

F'scary
11-05-2014, 03:37 PM
1. Williams plays better when he is injured - go figure that one out.

Back with the other 2 later.

2. Tutt is serious competition for a spot in the side. Up to last night, I had him down as being completely on the periphery.

3. Johannisen is not setting the world on fire at the moment but I like a lot about the way he plays: the preparedness to use his acceleration to break the lines and go past tacklers. The fact that he likes to kick the ball nice and long.

1eyedog
11-05-2014, 05:14 PM

All the ones without Gorilla contested marking forwards, yes.

G-Mo77
11-05-2014, 05:40 PM

I don't watch other clubs. :)

azabob
11-05-2014, 05:46 PM
I don't watch other clubs. :)

I find that hard to believe.

Other games yes, but other clubs no ;)

G-Mo77
11-05-2014, 07:58 PM
I find that hard to believe.

Other games yes, but other clubs no ;)

In all seriousness I really don't know. If I watch a game on TV I have no idea on how far forwards are pushed up the ground. I never go to neutral games live so can't compare.

My understanding of the theory is that its to stop the opposition gaining an 18 to 17 advantage in their forward press.... Sounds ridiculous to write and looks ridiculous to watch. Can only assume the stats show unequivocably that its the right thing to do as everyone does seem to do it nowadays. It's becoming more and more a basketball, rugby, soccer hybrid and I morn a little each week it goes on. Hopefully the game will find its way back...

I guess in theory it makes sense.

Ozza
11-05-2014, 09:49 PM
2. Tutt is serious competition for a spot in the side. Up to last night, I had him down as being completely on the periphery.

3. Johannisen is not setting the world on fire at the moment but I like a lot about the way he plays: the preparedness to use his acceleration to break the lines and go past tacklers. The fact that he likes to kick the ball nice and long.

Thought JJ did a really good of getting into space/into dangerous areas to run and carry. He might be building into some form.

Ghost Dog
11-05-2014, 10:48 PM
Stringer had some clangers, but I still think being down back is good for his development. He uses the ball well, looks a little lost with the bounce of the ball in close at times, but did some ok things.

Proud of Picken on Jones. Gave him a real battle, even though Jones is the better player.
Tackled with intent to maim. We get very good value out of 'blue collar' players, just owing to their footy smarts.
Picken, Morris are defenders often undersized and battle on manfully.

1eyedog
12-05-2014, 01:53 PM
In all seriousness I really don't know. If I watch a game on TV I have no idea on how far forwards are pushed up the ground. I never go to neutral games live so can't compare.

I guess in theory it makes sense.

The really big forwards rarely go outside F50 and if there is a big forward there there is usually a small forward close by.

LostDoggy
12-05-2014, 03:41 PM
1. Tutt is in our best 22
2. Wood is now an A grader
3.Bobbie always keeps his feet

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-05-2014, 11:10 PM
And the fact that our forwards very rarely manage to get separation from their opponent.

The sooner we get Grant back into the side the better.....he creates a far more potent mix.

Without Williams Dickson and Jones it might be a good time to not only to bring back Grant but also to move Murphy to the forward line in a bid to revitalise our forward line which has been awful. Minson was clearly beaten by Jamar in the ruck hit outs and once again there is a call for Campbell to spend more time on the ball.

Twodogs
13-05-2014, 12:57 AM
Without Williams Dickson and Jones it might be a good time to not only to bring back Grant but also to move Murphy to the forward line in a bid to revitalise our forward line which has been awful. Minson was clearly beaten by Jamar in the ruck hit outs and once again there is a call for Campbell to spend more time on the ball.

Cordy was good on the weekend too and might be in line for a recall too.

LostDoggy
13-05-2014, 07:42 AM
Cordy was good on the weekend too and might be in line for a recall too.

I've read this a few times now. Thought he was ok in the ruck but still struggles to take a mark up forward. He's come from so far back with injuries I tend to right off the first 3 years in the system. I do think there has been gradual improvement since they fused both shoulders.

Curious to know what people saw in last weeks game that would justify a recall though? I just saw servicable. Would greatly prefer to give Redpath a go (if there is a way) or Grant if not, and put Stevens up forward with him. Maybe the Bont on a half forward flank? Kid can kick.

LostDoggy
13-05-2014, 07:59 AM

I guess the key is just fitness. The good clubs who do this are prepared (and fit enough) to run flat out both ways.

All the more reason to try something different. Called a “key differentiator” in corporate-speak.

I don't think McCartney is a fan of the wholesale team change. Bringing in 3 or 4 VFL players and swapping backs to forwards, inside mids to the outside, and so on, doesn't seem to be his style.

anfo27
13-05-2014, 09:28 PM
1. Libba has the best hands in the business & is our best & most important player.
2. Tutt is starting to show that he is best 22 player. He just offers us something we don't really have.
3. I just get more & more impressed with Easton Wood every week. The kid is a lion heart & a team first player.

Special mention to Tommy for battling through adversity & being a key factor in why we won.

1eyedog
13-05-2014, 11:14 PM
1. Libba has the best hands in the business & is our best & most important player.
2. Tutt is starting to show that he is best 22 player. He just offers us something we don't really have.
3. I just get more & more impressed with Easton Wood every week. The kid is a lion heart & a team first player.

Special mention to Tommy for battling through adversity & being a key factor in why we won.

I reckon Roughie is our most important player. Given the limitations of our list he has been the one that is hardest to replace.

Scorlibo
14-05-2014, 02:39 AM
I reckon Roughie is our most important player. Given the limitations of our list he has been the one that is hardest to replace.

You could certainly make a case for it given the rotations through the back six since his injury but Libba is twice the player that Roughie is and really does elevate our midfield to competition standard.

1eyedog
14-05-2014, 08:14 AM
You could certainly make a case for it given the rotations through the back six since his injury but Libba is twice the player that Roughie is and really does elevate our midfield to competition standard.

We've tried Jones and Stringer done there since Roughie's injury as well as had to play Wood and Young tall, which I think detracts from Wood's other talents and we've tried Talia, Roberts and Williams there too with limited success. I would argue that we have suffered from not having Roughie in the team more than anyone else and we clearly do not have a replacement for him.

Libba is clearly a better player but Roughie has proven to be irreplaceable and it will be good to get him back.

Maddog37
14-05-2014, 03:49 PM
Still think Minno is our most important player.

Twodogs
14-05-2014, 05:17 PM
I think Roughead is our most important player too. He provides leadership on and off the ground. The younger players all stop and listen when he speaks.

Roughie might be the leader we've been missing since Scott Wynd retired.

josie
14-05-2014, 08:30 PM
1) Murphy and Morris are just out & out bulldog legends and I love them (they encapsulate so much about what's great about our Club)
2) Roberts is very likely going to be a good backman for us = watched him closely with binoculars when Dees kicked towards our cheer squad and he is smart
3) Stringer is improving every week - I laud the coaching staff for persevering with him in the seniors

And 'coz I cannot count (or follow rules):

4) Crameri is worth the big money - he runs and tries his heart out - and I pray he is not kicked out of game for 2 years (or the Don's players for that matter - no respect for their coaches but have always felt sorry for their players in this whole drug saga)

Twodogs
15-05-2014, 12:24 AM
1) Murphy and Morris are just out & out bulldog legends and I love them (they encapsulate so much about what's great about our Club)

Haven't they really stepped to cover Roughie's absence? The way they lay their bodies on the line to intercept the ball coming into defence has been magnificent.

anfo27
15-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Haven't they really stepped to cover Roughie's absence? The way they lay their bodies on the line to intercept the ball coming into defence has been magnificent.

You can throw Easton Wood in there to, has been super impressive.

anfo27
15-05-2014, 05:48 PM

You have a point there, its not until roughie has been missing that we realise how crucial he is to our defence. I do like young fletch down there, has the size & composure with the ball unlike Talia.

Back to libba & i can't recall seeing a player with hands as good as his in traffic. Tom can be diving on the ground for a loose ball & in one motion gathers & hits a team mate with a handball over his head out of traffic. I just marvel at watching this kid play & there hasn't been too many players in the tri colours over the years that have done that. Only Chris Grant & Aker come to mind as players who i've seen that have made me feel like that. Will be in the top 5 players in the comp within 3 years.

LostDoggy
16-05-2014, 10:42 AM
Back to libba & i can't recall seeing a player with hands as good as his in traffic. Tom can be diving on the ground for a loose ball & in one motion gathers & hits a team mate with a handball over his head out of traffic. I just marvel at watching this kid play & there hasn't been too many players in the tri colours over the years that have done that. Only Chris Grant & Aker come to mind as players who i've seen that have made me feel like that. Will be in the top 5 players in the comp within 3 years.

Scott West was the master of the impossible handball. I used to marvel at the way he could extract the pill and handball to a player he could not possibly have seen.

always right
16-05-2014, 01:08 PM
Bontempelli looks like he may just as adept as West and Libba when it comes to feeding out handballs from tricky situations.

lemmon
16-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Bontempelli looks like he may just as adept as West and Libba when it comes to feeding out handballs from tricky situations.

It's the vision though which sets Libba and West apart, the knowledge they possess of who is where in traffic is unbelievable. Bonts looks different in that he will always gets his arms free for a handball but Libba just has a reading of play that at times makes it seem like he is watching it from a birds eye view

Bulldog4life
16-05-2014, 01:20 PM
Scott West was the master of the impossible handball. I used to marvel at the way he could extract the pill and handball to a player he could not possibly have seen.

Thinking of him myself as being similar to Libba with the ball in traffic. Scotty was a freak in getting that ball out.

1eyedog
16-05-2014, 01:37 PM
You have a point there, its not until roughie has been missing that we realise how crucial he is to our defence. I do like young fletch down there, has the size & composure with the ball unlike Talia.

His old man wasn't half bad!

always right
16-05-2014, 02:15 PM
It's the vision though which sets Libba and West apart, the knowledge they possess of who is where in traffic is unbelievable. Bonts looks different in that he will always gets his arms free for a handball but Libba just has a reading of play that at times makes it seem like he is watching it from a birds eye view

Agree....but getting his arms free is only half the job. Having the visiion to pick the right option and execute it cleanly appears to be one of his strengths.

Scorlibo
16-05-2014, 10:01 PM

He's head and shoulders above any other I've seen. His hands are just astounding.

Twodogs
17-05-2014, 01:08 AM
You can throw Easton Wood in there to, has been super impressive.

Actually I was meaning Wood instead of Morris. I accidentally said Morris because he was mentioned in the post before mine.

Back to libba & i can't recall seeing a player with hands as good as his in traffic.

I would add Simon Atkins as well. He had phenomenal vision and hands.

Ghost Dog
17-05-2014, 11:45 AM
A small sector of Essendon fans just cemented their reputation as a pack of a**holes. Booing the umpire as he was carried off the ground by a stretcher.

anfo27
18-05-2014, 12:35 PM
Agree....but getting his arms free is only half the job. Having the visiion to pick the right option and execute it cleanly appears to be one of his strengths.

Thats exactly right. Its not that he gets it out as much as he gets it out to the right option just about every time. Scott West was a bulldog great but i think young libba will be better. I know Tom has a hell of a long way to go to even be mentioned in the same breath as a 7 time B&F TOTC great let alone surpass Scotty but he has all the tools to do it imo. Tom is also a pretty damn good kick as well. Can't wait to see Toms career unfold.