PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 10 vs Gold Coast Suns

Eastdog
08-05-2014, 01:32 AM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 10 game against Gold Coast Suns at Metricon Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

bulldogtragic
10-05-2014, 10:58 PM
I think we can safely say Jones is an out.

GVGjr
10-05-2014, 11:36 PM
I think we can safely say Jones is an out.

A few question marks hanging over some players. Just as well we had some good performances with Footscray

I really hope Tom Williams comes good from his calf injury.

Hotdog60
10-05-2014, 11:41 PM
Do we think Grant will come in for Dickson

bulldogtragic
10-05-2014, 11:41 PM
Ins:

Bontempelli, Smith, Grant, Campbell

Ours:

Gia, Jones (susp), Tommy & Dickson (injured)

(Maybe Hrovat for Hunter, maybe)

bornadog
11-05-2014, 12:05 AM
(Maybe Hrovat for Hunter, maybe)

or Honeychurch

whythelongface
11-05-2014, 12:10 AM
Outs:

Jones; Williams; Dickson; Hunter; Gia

Ins

Campbell; Grant; Stevens; Bonts; Honeychurch

Maybe Smith instead of Stevens.

Scorlibo
11-05-2014, 12:47 AM
Could we get an explanation from those listing Gia as an out?

Out: Jones (susp), Dickson (inj), Williams (inj), Hunter.
In: Redpath (can we do that?), Stevens, Bontempelli, Honeychurch.

always right
11-05-2014, 12:54 AM
Out:
Jones (susp), Dickson (inj), Williams (if he doesn't come up), Hunter (omit)

In:
Campbell, Grant, Smith, Honeychurch,

LostDoggy
11-05-2014, 01:01 AM
Could we get an explanation from those listing Gia as an out?

Out: Jones (susp), Dickson (inj), Williams (inj), Hunter.
In: Redpath (can we do that?), Stevens, Bontempelli, Honeychurch.

Ditto. Clearly you watched the reserves today :)

boydogs
11-05-2014, 01:07 AM
Hunter seems to be the new Eagleton, does his best work in space and struggles in games where there isn't any. 3 forced changes are enough for me after a good win

Out: Jones, Dickson, Williams
In: Campbell, Smith, Grant

G-Mo77
11-05-2014, 02:11 AM
In: Redpath (can we do that?)

Wondering that myself. Really good today and Jones and Williams will miss time. I don't think we can unless there is an LTI but there is a lot of fine print I don't know about.

jeemak
11-05-2014, 02:47 AM
Out - Williams and Jones

In - Cordy and Grant

Cordy needs a game, Grant is an obvious in if he gets through injury free, as his attributes are needed to complete our forward line.

If Dickson is out, I think I'd like Honeychurch to get his taste.

LostDoggy
11-05-2014, 08:05 AM
Hunter seems to be the new Eagleton, does his best work in space and struggles in games where there isn't any. 3 forced changes are enough for me after a good win

That looks right to me. I would have preferred more VFL time for grant but hands are tied.

1eyedog
11-05-2014, 08:07 AM

Goods ins I would go with this too.

Bumper Bulldogs
11-05-2014, 09:00 AM
Out:
Jones (susp), Dickson & Williams both injured

In:
Campbell, Grant, Smith

Can see why we would make any further changes but if so I would leave out Hunter and play Honeychurch. I think that GC will be a tough game.

GVGjr
11-05-2014, 09:41 AM
Out's - Jones (susp) Williams (inj) Dickson (inj) and Hunter

In's Campbell, Grant, Smith and Goodes or Stevens

Goodes should be rewarded after two solid performances for Footscray. Smith should be ready now. Campbell is needed to cover the loss of Williams and Jones and Grant slots back in to cover Dickson.

G-Mo77
11-05-2014, 09:44 AM
I think Campbell will have to come in and while it's not ideal after just one game Grant as well. Pity there is no VFL this week.

We'll lose 3 of our forwards, 2 of them talls so it'll be interesting to see what they do on the selection table. Hope it pours raining and we can get away with having a short team.

Pray for rain! :)

Bulldog Joe
11-05-2014, 09:54 AM
Out's - Jones (susp) Williams (inj) Dickson (inj) and Hunter

In's Campbell, Grant, Smith and Goodes or Stevens

Goodes should be rewarded after two solid performances for Footscray. Smith should be ready now. Campbell is needed to cover the loss of Williams and Jones and Grant slots back in to cover Dickson.

From the VFL game I would prefer Cordy over Campbell. More agility shown by Ayce and he competes when the ball is on the deck.

Would also prefer to keep Hunter in. We are going to lose 3 forwards as forced changes.

GVGjr
11-05-2014, 10:11 AM
From the VFL game I would prefer Cordy over Campbell. More agility shown by Ayce and he competes when the ball is on the deck.

Would also prefer to keep Hunter in. We are going to lose 3 forwards as forced changes.

I gave Cordy vs Campbell a bit of thought. I could be talked into making that change.

I was also concerned about making too many changes in the forward line but I think Hunter might benefit by getting a bit of the footy at Footscray.

Scorlibo
11-05-2014, 11:15 AM
I gave Cordy vs Campbell a bit of thought. I could be talked into making that change.

I was also concerned about making too many changes in the forward line but I think Hunter might benefit by getting a bit of the footy at Footscray.

I'm also inclined to say Cordy if we're going for one of the two. He played well for Footscray and would have even been a dominant performance had he taken a few opportunities to score.

Rocco Jones
11-05-2014, 11:36 AM
Anyone able to answer if we can play Redpath? If so, I would have him in.

In- Dickson, Jones, Williams (if injured)
Out- Smith, Redpath, Grant

Redpath to offer ruck support for Minson which is basically 10% TOG. Really have very little faith in either Cordy or Campbell playing the 2nd ruck role at VFL level.

chef
11-05-2014, 11:41 AM

Redpath to offer ruck support for Minson which is basically 10% TOG. Really have very little faith in either Cordy or Campbell playing the 2nd ruck role at VFL level.

I guess that depends on how long Dickson's out and if he can go on the LTIL

always right
11-05-2014, 11:53 AM

Surprised you don't think Campbell can play the second ruck role (I assume you meant AFL). That's one thing I'm sure he can do.....it's whether he can have a more impactful presence up forward that's the question.

Scorlibo
11-05-2014, 03:04 PM
Surprised you don't think Campbell can play the second ruck role (I assume you meant AFL). That's one thing I'm sure he can do.....it's whether he can have a more impactful presence up forward that's the question.

I presume Rocco's definition of the second ruck role includes the ability to play forward for substantial periods in the game.

azabob
11-05-2014, 03:51 PM
BMAC said today that Roughead will be available for the game agains the Suns.

Surely not? Would he come straight back in?

F'scary
11-05-2014, 04:04 PM
BMAC said today that Roughead will be available for the game agains the Suns.

Surely not? Would he come straight back in?

That would free up Roberts to be given a go up forward in the absence of Jones and Williams.

I can't believe posters are advocating a return of Cordy. He is a complete dud and a waste of space on our list.

I think Hunter should be given a spell too.

Bulldog Joe
11-05-2014, 05:53 PM
That would free up Roberts to be given a go up forward in the absence of Jones and Williams.

I can't believe posters are advocating a return of Cordy. He is a complete dud and a waste of space on our list.

I think Hunter should be given a spell too.

I take it you either didn't watch the VFL game on ABC or you have simply set your opinion in concrete.

Rocco Jones
11-05-2014, 06:06 PM
I presume Rocco's definition of the second ruck role includes the ability to play forward for substantial periods in the game.

Not only includes, absolutely the vast majority of time is there. When you're a 2nd ruck to a ruckman like Minson, it means you will spend about 10-15% TOG in the ruck and 70-80% forward. Basically whoever plays the role will spend 6-7 times as long up forward than in the ruck.

Remi Moses
11-05-2014, 06:51 PM
Goods ins I would go with this too.

Ditto for me
GC strong midfield must ensure we play another mid

Remi Moses
11-05-2014, 06:53 PM

Are we able to upgrade Redpath? If they can he may get a gig

Pickenitup
11-05-2014, 06:55 PM
Great News If Roughy can play frees Stringer to go forward.
In Grant Roughead Stevens Campbell
Out Jones Dickson Williams Hunter

bulldogtragic
11-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Dickson apparently looking at 12 weeks. I think that means we could promote. Rookie.

Tory must be happy he signed on so early! :)

Dry Rot
11-05-2014, 07:07 PM

Thoughts on Redpath's game in the VFL? With Jones about to be hung, drawn and quartered and Dickson's injury, we could promote him.

Unleash the beast!

Greystache
11-05-2014, 07:09 PM

I thought the only time we didn't dominate the game was the period in the 3rd quarter where we had Cordy as our deep target and continually kicked the ball to him. The delivery was good, the opposition pressure poor, he just wasn't able to take a mark or impact the game in any way. Once we got him out of there the goals started flowing again.

I'd choose Campbell every time. The 5 mins a quarter Cordy would play in the ruck is not worth carrying a passenger for the rest of the game.

GVGjr
11-05-2014, 07:20 PM

We would need to put someone else on the LTI.

Dry Rot
11-05-2014, 07:43 PM

Dickson?

The Bulldogs Bite
11-05-2014, 07:56 PM
Also would like to see Redpath, if possible.

Has improved quite a bit the few times I've seen him this year, and I like that he as a genuine physical presence, as this is something Jones and Williams don't really have.

(Not having a go at Jones/Williams - they just aren't physical, aggressive key forwards and we need one or two).

GVGjr
11-05-2014, 08:00 PM
Dickson?

I suppose it's a chance.

G-Mo77
11-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Dickson apparently looking at 12 weeks. I think that means we could promote. Rookie.

Tory must be happy he signed on so early! :)

SMH. That's horrible news. :(

Greystache
11-05-2014, 08:10 PM

Fox footy reporting Dickson may have a torn pectoral and could be out for 12 weeks.

F'scary
11-05-2014, 08:43 PM
I take it you either didn't watch the VFL game on ABC or you have simply set your opinion in concrete.

Ok, let's give him ONE LAST go.

Campbell has not exactly set the world on fire, I suppose.

F'scary
11-05-2014, 08:46 PM
I thought the only time we didn't dominate the game was the period in the 3rd quarter where we had Cordy as our deep target and continually kicked the ball to him. The delivery was good, the opposition pressure poor, he just wasn't able to take a mark or impact the game in any way. Once we got him out of there the goals started flowing again.

I'd choose Campbell every time. The 5 mins a quarter Cordy would play in the ruck is not worth carrying a passenger for the rest of the game.

Ah Ha! There! I rest my case. Permission to play Cordy withdrawn.

bornadog
11-05-2014, 09:02 PM
The coach said on Friday he has plenty of patience for both Cordy and Campbell and is in no hurry.

If Dickson is out for the long term, I would bring in Redpath.

kruder
11-05-2014, 09:03 PM
Ins

Bonts Stevens Campbell

outs

Williams Jones Dickson

One things for sure Stevens will be in. Was fantastic yesterday and was unlucky not to be playing against Melbourne.

Was very keen for the dogs to get Bonts and still think the extended highlights package of him on the dogs website is as good as you will see. I think he will be better than Macrae with his left foot to do significantly more damage.

I liked the cameo from Grant but i can't see him being fit enough after 2.5 quarters of VFL footy. Can't wait to see him in our forward line again.

Wallis was great at winning the ball but continues to rush his disposal out of the clearance. Not sure what we are going to do with him.

Hunter might be lucky with 3 forced changes already but Smith is ready to come in.

bornadog
11-05-2014, 09:05 PM
One things for sure Stevens will be in. Was fantastic yesterday and was unlucky not to be playing against Melbourne.

Nickname is paramedic

Scorlibo
11-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Ah Ha! There! I rest my case. Permission to play Cordy withdrawn.

Cordy played well. It's usually better to judge players on what they have done rather than what they haven't.

boydogs
11-05-2014, 09:50 PM
Unleash the beast!

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1828/lunapic13614295016891.gif

ReLoad
11-05-2014, 10:11 PM
Ins

Bonts Stevens Campbell

outs

Williams Jones Dickson

That's my changes too, Stevens and Bonts totally and epically dominated at stages, you could not say no based on their performances.

I'd take Campbell over redpath, but boy redpath is improving, I know big blokes take longer, but he is much improved.

As for Ayce, I hope he will be a good doctor.

azabob
11-05-2014, 10:37 PM
Nickname is paramedic

According to who? A poster on here?

bornadog
11-05-2014, 11:28 PM
According to who? A poster on here?

Me:D

Can't believe even at VFL level he dishes handballs to blokes standing a metre away from him and an opposition player next to the player receiving the hospital ball.

Personally, another week at VFL level till he learns to dispose the ball correctly.

Hot_Doggies
11-05-2014, 11:35 PM
That's my changes too, Stevens and Bonts totally and epically dominated at stages, you could not say no based on their performances.

I'd take Campbell over redpath, but boy redpath is improving, I know big blokes take longer, but he is much improved.

As for Ayce, I hope he will be a good doctor.

What did Redpath do that was so good? I haven't watched the whole game yet, but his goals that I saw were cheapies out the back. I didn't see any marks or signs of great improvement.

Remi Moses
11-05-2014, 11:44 PM
Thoughts on Redpath's game in the VFL? With Jones about to be hung, drawn and quartered and Dickson's injury, we could promote him.

Unleash the beast!

I particularly liked his attack on the ball and the player.
Looks good forward( he looked alright in the Willy game as well)Defintely on the improve .

Happy Days
12-05-2014, 12:39 AM
In:

Grant The God, Bontempelli, Smith, Roughead apparently

Out:

Jones, Dickson, Williams, Roberts

Tough on Fletch but if Roughy is playing then he's the one to get squeezed out. If Roughy isn't playing then I'd bring in Campbell for Hunter.

The club will probably give Grant another game in the VFL but the club should stop being pussies.

1eyedog
12-05-2014, 01:49 PM
Unleash the beast!

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1828/lunapic13614295016891.gif

That's a great tackle but probably all he did for the entire match.

LostDoggy
12-05-2014, 03:33 PM
Would think that Wallis would come in to help Picken with Ablett, Omeara & Bennel

LostDoggy
12-05-2014, 04:35 PM
I'm staggered at the calls for Redpath..

Played a decent game on Saturday. But the game prior at Ballarat he was awful. He needs more time and consistency. Would really struggle to see out an AFL match imo.

Bonts played as good a first half as you could hope for. Obviously fitness is holding him back. I would let him keep dominating at VFL level for a few more weeks.

Ins: Campbell, Smith, Stevens, Grant
Outs: Jones, Williams, Dickson, Hunter

I hate leaving Hunter out, he will be a special player for us. Just not doing enough at this stage.

Conditions will be not quite as bad as Darwin but similiar. Campbell just needs to compete and bring the ball down. We have enough talent and toughness in our forward half to get the job done. Especially with Smith and Stevens spending time down there.

always right
12-05-2014, 04:35 PM
Considering Macca considered playing Grant straight up after a long break, there was nothing about his game for Footscray that would suggest he won't come into the side for the GC match.

G-Mo77
12-05-2014, 05:36 PM

Played a decent game on Saturday. But the game prior at Ballarat he was awful. He needs more time and consistency. Would really struggle to see out an AFL match imo.

Horses for courses call. We're down 2 tall forwards now so we need someone else to take their place. I'd have no problem with a Redpath selection.

bornadog
12-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Horses for courses call. We're down 2 tall forwards now so we need someone else to take their place. I'd have no problem with a Redpath selection.

Its a shame Talia isnot playing better. He could take Roberts spot, and Roberts could be tried forward.

In effect we have lost half the forward line in one week.

Hot_Doggies
12-05-2014, 05:47 PM
Its a shame Talia isnot playing better. He could take Roberts spot, and Roberts could be tried forward.

In effect we have lost half the forward line in one week.

Too slow to be a forward. Better off playing Campbell.

Ozza
12-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Campbell for Jones
Grant for Dickson
Stevens for Williams

Would like to get Bontempelli into the side - and I suspect Macca would be wanting to take him to the Gold Coast for the interstate experience as well. I don't want Hunter to be omitted (think his game wasn't as bad has been stated). Would also like Clay Smith in the side, and Wallis has claims for selection too.

So it will be an interesting selection.

azabob
12-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Campbell for Jones
Grant for Dickson
Stevens for Williams

Would like to get Bontempelli into the side - and I suspect Macca would be wanting to take him to the Gold Coast for the interstate experience as well. I don't want Hunter to be omitted (think his game wasn't as bad has been stated). Would also like Clay Smith in the side, and Wallis has claims for selection too.

So it will be an interesting selection.

How come you have picked Stevens rather than Smith?

Do you see Stevens playing permanent forward?

lemmon
12-05-2014, 07:14 PM
Too slow to be a forward. Better off playing Campbell.

Roberts? I thought he looked okay for pace on the weekend

GVGjr
12-05-2014, 07:44 PM

I must admit that I haven't seen enough positives from him that should earn him a promotion. It won't surprise me if we do try him but I'd rather have another look at Austin.

azabob
12-05-2014, 08:46 PM
I must admit that I haven't seen enough positives from him that should earn him a promotion. It won't surprise me if we do try him but I'd rather have another look at Austin.

It appears Austin is last cab off the rank (behind Redpath).

I wonder why?

As he has performed at senior level when he has played. I think he is unlucky.

Bulldog Joe
13-05-2014, 08:24 AM
If Dickson is LTI we can upgrade a rookie.

I would go with Redpath. He cqn play either end. He has some pace. He can take a mark. He can also pinch hit in the ruck.

Sort of meets the criteria for a modern day 2nd ruck.

I thought he looked good back in the NAB games and he certainly showed something forward against Sandringham. I concede he has yet to show consistency.

My changes would then be.

Redpath for Williams
Grant for Dickson
Roughead (allegedly fit) for Jones.

This would give some flexibility with both Rough and Redpath able to do some ruck work or give cover down back if needed.

bornadog
13-05-2014, 09:37 AM
If Dickson is LTI we can upgrade a rookie. .

With Roughead coming back, does this mean Jong must go back as a rookie, and if so, would Jong just take Dicksons spot and keep his upgrade going?

Mofra
13-05-2014, 10:06 AM
Is Footscray playing this weekend?

If so I'd love to see who performs this weekend too, espeically knowing we have some guaranteed AFL outs

Mofra
13-05-2014, 10:06 AM
With Roughead coming back, does this mean Jong must go back as a rookie, and if so, would Jong just take Dicksons spot and keep his upgrade going?
Pretty sure there's a mid year rule allowing one rookie to be upgraded anyway.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-05-2014, 10:18 AM
Is Footscray playing this weekend?

If so I'd love to see who performs this weekend too, espeically knowing we have some guaranteed AFL outs

No Footscray also have the bye

Ozza
13-05-2014, 11:41 AM
How come you have picked Stevens rather than Smith?

Do you see Stevens playing permanent forward?

Yeah - with the outs from the forward line I would be playing Stevens as a half forward. He's big enough and good enough overhead to be a 3rd tall type marking target.

I really want Smith to be in the side. I'm not sure exactly where he slots in right now unless its in the midfield - and I'm not sure who would drop out.

azabob
13-05-2014, 11:56 AM
Yeah - with the outs from the forward line I would be playing Stevens as a half forward. He's big enough and good enough overhead to be a 3rd tall type marking target.

I really want Smith to be in the side. I'm not sure exactly where he slots in right now unless its in the midfield - and I'm not sure who would drop out.

I also agree with your reasoning. Stevens is also a reliable kick for goal.

Between Smith, Stevens, Hrovat, Wallis and Bontempelli there is tough competition for spots. Fingers crossed injuries are kept to a minimum.

Bulldog Joe
13-05-2014, 11:57 AM

Probably so, but as he seems to be now out of the side any rookie upgrade from Dickson, should be someone we want to play now.

Pretty sure there's a mid year rule allowing one rookie to be upgraded anyway.

I think this applies after round 11 or perhaps round 12 since that is where every side is at after they have played 11 games.

LostDoggy
13-05-2014, 12:26 PM
Outs:

Dickson
Williams
Jones

Ins:

Bontempelli (D)
Stevens (W)
Redpath (J)

Leave Roughead until after the bye to make sure. No point risking aggravating his injury against their monster forward line.
Redpath to interchange back and forward in Williams’ role, and pinch in the ruck. Good first test for him.
Stevens and Bontempelli to share the second/third forward/midfield roles

The Pie Man
13-05-2014, 12:44 PM
Any word on the results of Williams' scan?

If definitely out, then...

In: Roughead, Bont, Stevens, Grant
Out: Williams, Jones, Dickson, Hunter/Gia

Stringer can of course play forward, though he looked OK down back - could Rough try the role he was initially drafted for?

azabob
13-05-2014, 01:10 PM
Leave Roughead until after the bye to make sure. No point risking aggravating his injury against their monster forward line.

FYI - this game is after our bye.

LostDoggy
13-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Lol cheers Aza. That changes everything.

azabob
13-05-2014, 01:28 PM
Lol cheers Aza. That changes everything.

Regardless of when our bye is though does Roughead play a game at VFL level before coming straight back in?

LostDoggy
13-05-2014, 01:39 PM
Wouldn't have thought so. He'd have the fitness base up from before his injury and the discipline runs on the board that Macca likes.

josie
14-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Out:
Jones (susp), Dickson & Williams both injured

In:
Campbell, Grant, Smith

Can see why we would make any further changes but if so I would leave out Hunter and play Honeychurch. I think that GC will be a tough game.

Yarp - agree with this. Could also be Hrovat instead of Honeychurch but would love to see Sweet Jesus get a go.

Would also love to see Bontempelli play again but at expense of whom?

Did anyone hear Gilbee (coaching with Saints and who watched Dogs play their affiliate side) on radio give Hrovat a big wrap - said something like he thinks Hrovat will be very like/as good as Boomer Harvey. YES PLEASE !!!!

Remi Moses
15-05-2014, 12:54 AM
Said Hrovat had the potential to be better than Jack Macrae .
That would be pleasing

F'scary
15-05-2014, 10:00 PM
Yarp - agree with this. Could also be Hrovat instead of Honeychurch but would love to see Sweet Jesus get a go.

Would also love to see Bontempelli play again but at expense of whom?

Did anyone hear Gilbee (coaching with Saints and who watched Dogs play their affiliate side) on radio give Hrovat a big wrap - said something like he thinks Hrovat will be very like/as good as Boomer Harvey. YES PLEASE !!!!

Said Hrovat had the potential to be better than Jack Macrae .
That would be pleasing

Hrovat, Honeychuch, Bontempelli. Time for Gia to play VFL until the goodbye game later in the season?

stefoid
15-05-2014, 11:10 PM
nah, I dont like the kids missing a whole game of VFL so they can play 20 minutes of AFL. Leave Gia the sub and give the kids a whole game when tey can manage it.

bornadog
15-05-2014, 11:53 PM
Any word on the results of Williams' scan?

Strained calf and could end up playing next week depending how he trains.

LostDoggy
16-05-2014, 12:02 PM
Great result. Have been quietly anticipating the old 8-10 week "worse than we thought...." Would be great if we can get Williams and Roughy in the team together to straighten us up.

F'scary
16-05-2014, 10:23 PM
Strained calf and could end up playing next week depending how he trains.

Great result. Have been quietly anticipating the old 8-10 week "worse than we thought...." Would be great if we can get Williams and Roughy in the team together to straighten us up.

Remember, this is Williams we are talking about. I'll wait until I see him run onto the ground.

bornadog
17-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Remember, this is Williams we are talking about. I'll wait until I see him run onto the ground.

If he can run:D

F'scary
17-05-2014, 01:29 PM
If he can run:D

Seems to play better when he can't!

The Pie Man
22-05-2014, 12:02 PM
Williams still a chance for this week - sounds like Roughead & Grant are likely inclusions.
Macca flagged Stringer to continue playing down back - which I'm happy with

bornadog
22-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Out: Dickson, Jones

In: Grant, Smith

EDIT: After reading Macca's press conference, seems Tommy may not come up and he is favouring bringing in Roughead. He may bring Roughead in and move Stringer back to the forward line to replace Tom.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-05-2014, 05:09 PM
Williams still a chance for this week - sounds like Roughead & Grant are likely inclusions.
Macca flagged Stringer to continue playing down back - which I'm happy with

We need both Roughead and Grant to add some badly needed composure down back and class up forward. I am yet to be convinced about Stringer as a defender and believe at this stage of his development is better served as a forward. I would like to see Smith come in and also Wallis as a double tag with Picken on the dangerous Ablett. Given the improvement of Wood and Higgins as defenders, it might be time to move Murphy to half forward in an attempt to overcome an obvious weakness.

Ozza
22-05-2014, 05:47 PM
Press conference sounded like Roughead will certainly play (assuming he had no issues at training) and that Grant was a very good chance.

Tom Williams touch and go.

Stringer to stay down back for a while yet.

bornadog
22-05-2014, 05:50 PM
Press conference sounded like Roughead will certainly play (assuming he had no issues at training) and that Grant was a very good chance.

Tom Williams touch and go.

Stringer to stay down back for a while yet.

If Williams is out, then the forward line needs a dramatic change with three out.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-05-2014, 06:08 PM
Assuming Williams won't play (sounded unlikely) and Jones is suspended, Campbell has to be included.

Will be interesting to see if we select Grant. Ideal world he'd have another couple of games in the VFL, but with potentially 3 forwards out, we might not have a choice.

azabob
22-05-2014, 06:11 PM
If Roughead plays the most likely out is Fletcher Roberts, with Stringer likely to stay down back.

With the forward line being hit with injuries and suspension what is the likelihood of Roberts playing down forward?

The other question is if Williams is out injured & Jones suspended do we need to bring in Campbell for the second ruck option?

bornadog
22-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Official

IN

Jordan Roughead,
Mitch Wallis,
Marcus Bontempelli,
Clay Smith,
Nathan Hrovat,
Koby Stevens,
Brett Goodes

OUT

OUT

Tom Williams (Calf),
Tory Dickson (Pectoral),
Jason Johannisen (Omitted),
Liam Jones (Suspension)

G-Mo77
22-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Surprised at JJ's omission. Thought he did well against Melbourne.

A real shame Williams will miss after the hero's performance last game, better to play it safe though.

Love seeing Roughy back!

The Pie Man
22-05-2014, 07:35 PM
WTF did JJ do?

GVGjr
22-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Full back
L Picken J Roughead E Wood
Half back
S Higgins D Morris R Murphy
Centreline
A Cooney R Griffen J Macrae
Half forward
D Giansiracusa J Stringer J Tutt
Full forward
L Dahlhaus S Crameri F Roberts
Followers
W Minson M Boyd T Liberatore
Interchange (from):
M Wallis M Bontempelli C Smith
N Hrovat K Stevens L Hunter
B Goodes

Before I Die
22-05-2014, 07:49 PM
WTF did JJ do?

Possibly the answer is, not as much as Bontempelli, Smith and Hrovat.

Remi Moses
22-05-2014, 07:57 PM
JJ a bit stiff . Thought they may have rushed Grant in with the forward outs.
There was a story ( I know grain of salt required) that JJ and Hunter got on the turps.
Might be B/S as it was on Teen footy

The Underdog
22-05-2014, 08:33 PM
There was a story ( I know grain of salt required) that JJ and Hunter got on the turps.

On the turps on a week off...the bastards
Fine with the ins, although hope Wallis and Goodes aren't in the final team. Hope Smith gets a game.

azabob
22-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Fletcher as second ruck?

lemmon
22-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Fletcher as second ruck?

Looks like it will have to be

F'scary
22-05-2014, 09:09 PM
The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Western Bulldogs and Dr Who. A match made in heaven which covers just about all entertainment needs.

GVGjr
22-05-2014, 10:46 PM
Fletcher as second ruck?

Why couldn't we use Roughead for a couple of 5 minute bursts?

azabob
22-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Why couldn't we use Roughead for a couple of 5 minute bursts?

We could - and perhaps that is the plan, but it isn't the way i'd go.

He already will be spending time out of defence when he needs to come off for spells himself, which you think would be at least once a quarter and then having him help out with the ruck we could realistically go for 8 min a quarter without having him in defence.

I think it is more important to have Roughead down back for as much time as possible especially against the Suns who have a few big forwards who we will find hard to match up on to begin with.

GVGjr
22-05-2014, 11:01 PM

He already will be spending time out of defence when he needs to come off for spells himself, which you think would be at least once a quarter and then having him help out with the ruck we could realistically go for 8 min a quarter without having him in defence.

I think it is more important to have Roughead down back for as much time as possible especially against the Suns who have a few big forwards who we will find hard to match up on to begin with.

Ports Jackson Trengove plays a lot in the back line and also does some relief ruck work. I understand that the Suns have some tall boys but if you are suggesting Roberts could do some relief ruck work then he should be able to cover Roughy in the back line for a few spells as well.

azabob
22-05-2014, 11:10 PM
Ports Jackson Trengove plays a lot in the back line and also does some relief ruck work. I understand that the Suns have some tall boys but if you are suggesting Roberts could do some relief ruck work then he should be able to cover Roughy in the back line for a few spells as well.

I was more asking the question since Campbell didn't come in, who is left to do the relief ruck work.

I will take your word on Trengrove, as I don't get to see the power much. Do they have a bit better structure and support down back with Carlile and Hombsch?

Having said that I think Roberts more than held his own against Melbourne in defence and should be able to do ok in defence. Being young is he capable of switching back and forward during quarters - or do you see Roberts playing mainly in defence on Sunday?

Time will tell, no ideal fix this week for the second ruck.

jeemak
22-05-2014, 11:10 PM
I think this week we'll see each of Roughead and Roberts play ruck. Likewise forward at times.

The MC has IMO gone with a heavy midfield presence to try and lock down GC this week. I'm not sure our forward or defensive structure is the main concern of the match committee, the midfield is where it will be won or lost.

Get ready for an ugly game, if we have our way.

DragzLS1
23-05-2014, 01:01 AM
We have certainly gone in to lock this game up with the mids. Gold Coast are the type of team that will cut you up big time if given too much time and space. We need to win the contested ball this week and keep it tight if we want to win this. Picken to Ablett. Smith to come on as sub who should have a great impact last in the game when both teams are tired. I'm feeling good about this 1 just like I did the Richmond game!

kruder
23-05-2014, 01:18 AM
Official

IN

Jordan Roughead,
Mitch Wallis,
Marcus Bontempelli,
Clay Smith,
Nathan Hrovat,
Koby Stevens,
Brett Goodes

OUT

OUT

Tom Williams (Calf),
Tory Dickson (Pectoral),
Jason Johannisen (Omitted),
Liam Jones (Suspension)

One things for sure Hrovat won't be in. I'm a fan but the boys above played a far superior game in the VFL last time out. He needs to be in the bests a few weeks in a row before he deserves a spot.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-05-2014, 01:56 AM
Glad Roberts keeps his spot.

Will be interesting to see who the final four are.

Happy Days
23-05-2014, 02:14 AM
No Grant = No buys.

JJ is very stiff and it doesn't make much sense from a match up perspective.

jeemak
23-05-2014, 02:51 AM
No Grant = No buys.

Unless you're putting a team in to crowd the ball.

bornadog
23-05-2014, 09:19 AM
No Grant = No buys.

we all thought JJ did well against Melbourne but obviously he mustn't have followed instructions

LostDoggy
23-05-2014, 09:57 AM
Gee we are light on for talls.

As others have stated, we must be gearing up for a huge pressence around the ball and hoping the slippery conditions can help our undersized defence.

Murphy'sLore
23-05-2014, 12:32 PM
Western Bulldogs and Dr Who. A match made in heaven which covers just about all entertainment needs.

When the TARDIS lands in my backyard, I'm going to ask to be taken straight to the Bulldogs next premiership.

Mantis
23-05-2014, 02:20 PM

And if/when we have the ball.. We just hack it forward?

lemmon
23-05-2014, 02:21 PM

Short 2 second clip of Roberts doing some ruck work in the opening to the recent 'Inside the Pack' video

SlimPickens
23-05-2014, 02:51 PM
Think it'll be Koby, Clay and Bonts to come in. Hard to keep out after last weeks VFL performance.

Go_Dogs
23-05-2014, 02:52 PM

Have you watched many of our games this year?

It'll be an ugly game, but we need to attempt to make it a grinding slog if we're to have any chance, and hope we can manufacture enough scoring chances and convert when we do.

Go_Dogs
23-05-2014, 02:52 PM
Think it'll be Koby, Clay and Bonts to come in. Hard to keep out after last weeks VFL performance.

Koby to play as a forward?

jeemak
23-05-2014, 03:06 PM

Well I don't think you're going to see precise ball movement to a well manned forward line, via a slick process.

The very best teams in the competition will have moments when they can't do this against GC. We're not often able to do it against the very worst teams. We don't have the cattle for that yet.

LostDoggy
23-05-2014, 03:09 PM
When the TARDIS lands in my backyard, I'm going to ask to be taken straight to the Bulldogs next premiership.

Good idea bypassing the preliminary final.

SlimPickens
23-05-2014, 03:39 PM
Koby to play as a forward?

Yep. Koby has one of the best work rates at the club. Wouldnt mind telling him to get on his bike
off a half forward flank and really try and work his man over.

bornadog
23-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Yep. Koby has one of the best work rates at the club. Wouldnt mind telling him to get on his bike
I don't mind him playing forward he is a pretty accurate shot. I am not sold on his midfield work mainly decision making and disposal.

bulldogtragic
23-05-2014, 03:54 PM
I don't mind him playing forward he is a pretty accurate shot. I am not sold on his midfield work mainly decision making and disposal.
We agree again BAD. If he's a good footballer but his drawback or limitation is handballing in traffic then move him into an area where hopefully his decent kicking skills will be more used than panicked handballing.

Greystache
23-05-2014, 04:05 PM

Pretty strong overhead too.

azabob
23-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Short 2 second clip of Roberts doing some ruck work in the opening to the recent 'Inside the Pack' video

Do you expect Fletcher or Roughead to provide ruck relief?

LostDoggy
23-05-2014, 06:21 PM

Coming back from a shoulder early I wouldn't be expecting Roughy to be doing any Ruck work at all. He is far to important to us and running that risk in a 30/70 away game would be ludicrous.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him start forward, less to shoulder. Sit him 30 out and let Crammers lead up. Fletcher backline and relief at that end.

I hope Macca has set Wallis for this game a couple of weeks back, I don't like him and Picken playing same side but we will need both our stoppers for this. Make it an absolute inside game. Hit them with everything straight in the guts.

LostDoggy
23-05-2014, 06:28 PM
Hunter also omitted. 5 changes.

Wallis and Hrovat others who have missed out.

LostDoggy
23-05-2014, 06:30 PM
Wish the game was tomorrow, 27 sunny sunday. Glad we've had a week off. Going to be hard to shut down
a game in them conditions. We are not ready to take em on yet.

LostDoggy
23-05-2014, 06:31 PM
Hunter also omitted. 5 changes.

Wallis and Hrovat others who have missed out.

Well there goes the Wallis theory.

LostDoggy
23-05-2014, 06:40 PM

Be careful you might wake up and be 108 years old :D

lemmon
23-05-2014, 06:48 PM

I'd expect Fletch, just seems less of a reshuffle if Roberts rucks rather than having to put Roughy in then send Fletch onto Jordan's man

Bulldog4life
23-05-2014, 06:57 PM

They both were dropped. Interesting.

LostDoggy
23-05-2014, 07:10 PM
They both were dropped. Interesting.

Without knowing the full story, if true, I dont really see the problem on the week off. There wasn't any trouble, no media story what's wrong with a couple of young blokes havin some fun? Fair enough if they missed a session or turned up half asleep. But I'd like to think they were dropped for work rate not the other. The year is long enough as it is for them.

Remi Moses
23-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Yes and they're well renumerated for playing football.
If there was protocols or behaviours broken then they get what they deserve.
If that was the case

lemmon
23-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Without knowing the full story, if true, I dont really see the problem on the week off. There wasn't any trouble, no media story what's wrong with a couple of young blokes havin some fun? Fair enough if they missed a session or turned up half asleep. But I'd like to think they were dropped for work rate not the other. The year is long enough as it is for them.

You'd have to know the internal policies. If the playing group had enforced an alcohol restriction on itself than I have no problem on how it's been handled

F'scary
23-05-2014, 08:05 PM
What is the strategy with bringing Goodes in? Is it to make Stevens' disposal look better?

Pickenitup
23-05-2014, 08:10 PM
I reckon Goodes coming back in means Murphy to go forward.
Like the ins just would have liked Campbell to come in just makes our forward line look more dangerous.

F'scary
23-05-2014, 08:11 PM
What is the strategy with bringing Goodes in? Is it to make Stevens' disposal look better?

I would have liked to see Hrovat in.

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-05-2014, 08:37 PM
I reckon Goodes coming back in means Murphy to go forward.
Like the ins just would have liked Campbell to come in just makes our forward line look more dangerous.
With Jones Williams and Dickson all missing from the attack it would have been ideal to bring back Grant and Campbell to the forward line along with the move as you suggested of Murphy.
Minson has been only average in the ruck this year and yet we are still content to experiment with a non-ruckman as Will's back up.
I look forward to the day when ever that will be that our attack looks potent enough to match good opposition.

comrade
23-05-2014, 09:49 PM
I don't think its a bad thing to reward Goodes. He was easily our best in that shocker down in Ballarat.

I'd rather give guys game time on the back of good performances than give the gold ticket to those not in form. It's now up to JJ & Hunter to earn their way back in.

Mantis
23-05-2014, 09:51 PM
Have you watched many of our games this year?

Watched them all.

Eastdog
23-05-2014, 09:55 PM
How do you guys see us structuring up forward which will be important when delivery of the ball gets in the 50. At times 2 weeks ago we were all over the shop up there.

Before I Die
23-05-2014, 10:09 PM

I am starting to worry that that may be the only way I can get there.

bornadog
23-05-2014, 10:38 PM
I think with JJ out, Goodes comes in.

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-05-2014, 11:12 PM
How do you guys see us structuring up forward which will be important when delivery of the ball gets in the 50. At times 2 weeks ago we were all over the shop up there.

You have raised an important point about the forward line structure. I cannot see much improvement until we establish a dedicated CHF and FF. It will not happen on Sunday but I reckon we could do worse than try Roberts At CHF as he was drafted as a forward and Liam Jones at FF. Crameri and Dahlhaus would then play as half forward flankers with Grant and Hrovat playing out of forward pockets.
This would leave Minson and Campbell to alternate as ruck men off the interchange bench with Campbell providing some relief as a resting forward. Stringer IMO is still a work in progress and still needs to spend more time at Footscray VFL level. I am yet to be convinced that Williams is a forward in spite of his brave efforts whilst injured against Melbourne. Crameri proved at Essendon that he was best suited as a forward flanker and yet we have often used him in the key attack roles. Our forward line has been very poor now for the past 3 years and is in need of a major overhaul.

Remi Moses
23-05-2014, 11:18 PM
They've developed Roberts as a key back, and that's where he's been playing in the VFL.
Would have rolled the dice with Jarryd Grant personally.

Eastdog
23-05-2014, 11:32 PM
You have raised an important point about the forward line structure. I cannot see much improvement until we establish a dedicated CHF and FF. It will not happen on Sunday but I reckon we could do worse than try Roberts At CHF as he was drafted as a forward and Liam Jones at FF. Crameri and Dahlhaus would then play as half forward flankers with Grant and Hrovat playing out of forward pockets.
This would leave Minson and Campbell to alternate as ruck men off the interchange bench with Campbell providing some relief as a resting forward. Stringer IMO is still a work in progress and still needs to spend more time at Footscray VFL level. I am yet to be convinced that Williams is a forward in spite of his brave efforts whilst injured against Melbourne. Crameri proved at Essendon that he was best suited as a forward flanker and yet we have often used him in the key attack roles. Our forward line has been very poor now for the past 3 years and is in need of a major overhaul.

Yeah it's frustrating NBP. Do you reckon Campbell can develop into a good forward option up there. Jones has been good at times this year but is at the same time very frustrating. He just isn't very consistent. What are your thoughts on Jones.

Nuggety Back Pocket
24-05-2014, 12:14 AM
Yeah it's frustrating NBP. Do you reckon Campbell can develop into a good forward option up there. Jones has been good at times this year but is at the same time very frustrating. He just isn't very consistent. What are your thoughts on Jones.

I still see Campbell ideally as a ruck man who eventually will take over the number one mantle from Minson. In a good team Jones would probably rank as a third tall forward and yet in the past couple of years he has been our number one badly lacking in support. Crameri has eased the pressure somewhat and so would have Grant if he had been fit enough to play. I see the MC trying to make Campbell into a key forward when his style of game is better suited as a ruck man. Chris Dawes would have been handy right now as a key forward when we did make a strong bid for his services before choosing Melbourne.

Remi Moses
24-05-2014, 12:48 AM
The ruckmen who play forward successfully are as rare as hens teeth.
Tom's a ruck men waiting for his chance

jeemak
24-05-2014, 01:32 AM
I don't think Campbell has been given enough of a run, though when he did play he was less than terrible. From all reports his form at Footscray has been OK, but nothing brilliant.

If Grant was right he'd be in the team, but the MC probably think he's too underdone or potentially in need of a harder effort to get his head up to the level required for him to be productive at the senior level.

Eastdog - I think we're going to see a very small forward structure, and I'm not convinced Roberts will spend a lot of time there in any event, irrespective of being named forward this week.

Expect us to play all of our forwards high, with the plan to be accountable to GC defenders across our half forward line, with a big gap closer to goal for Crameri and our smaller players to run into. I just don't see an open game at all, which will mean more forwards in the midfield than there are in the forward line for most of game.

jeemak
24-05-2014, 01:34 AM
As for Will and a second ruck changing from the bench for the majority of the game, I couldn't think of a better way to put as at a disadvantage from a rotation perspective.

I'd be disappointed if we went this way. Our second ruck needs to play forward, whoever it is.

Remi Moses
24-05-2014, 02:41 AM
As for Will and a second ruck changing from the bench for the majority of the game, I couldn't think of a better way to put as at a disadvantage from a rotation perspective.

I'd be disappointed if we went this way. Our second ruck needs to play forward, whoever it is.
It's a massive issue for most clubs, the whole second ruck conundrum.
Besides Hale, bloody hard for those big blokes to put forward pressure on.

jeemak
24-05-2014, 02:46 AM
It's a massive issue for most clubs, the whole second ruck conundrum.
Besides Hale, bloody hard for those big blokes to put forward pressure on.

I suppose the way the game's headed this past decade, premium talls around the ground have become fewer and farther between simply due to the expectation that's placed on them. There's just not enough tall talent to be good enough as a first ruck and resting forward, and a tall forward who rucks.

The lack of interchange has meant they need to be on the ground for longer, and whoever is swapping with them needs to be able to be very dangerous up forward for fear of giving the opposition defence a clear run out.

If we can crack it with Campbell or Cordy then great, as Will is having to do too much right now and it's showing in his output. I'm not sold on either of the aforementioned being able to help Will out.

Go_Dogs
24-05-2014, 03:20 AM
Watched them all.

And was clean ball movement a part of any of them? I'm sorry, because I feel like I'm taking the p!!s, but I'm not - I'm actually curious as to what you think we might be aiming to do. Surely we're realistic enough not to believe we will create more clean ball forward of centre without making it a massive congested scrap around the ball.

Whilst we are moving in the right direction generally, we are not yet good enough or have enough skill (and it sucks saying that against a team that's been in the league for such a short while) to win the game. If we can make it a scrap and make the most of our opportunities we're a chance. I'd rather that at this point over anything else we're capable of dishing up.

(Apologies if my post seems negative, that's not my intention, but I feel we are a fair bit off the pace, and I'd love for us to at least play some football on our terms and try to scavenge a win)

Twodogs
24-05-2014, 03:34 AM

I call shotgun.

jeemak
24-05-2014, 04:03 AM
And was clean ball movement a part of any of them? I'm sorry, because I feel like I'm taking the p!!s, but I'm not - I'm actually curious as to what you think we might be aiming to do. Surely we're realistic enough not to believe we will create more clean ball forward of centre without making it a massive congested scrap around the ball.

Whilst we are moving in the right direction generally, we are not yet good enough or have enough skill (and it sucks saying that against a team that's been in the league for such a short while) to win the game. If we can make it a scrap and make the most of our opportunities we're a chance. I'd rather that at this point over anything else we're capable of dishing up.

(Apologies if my post seems negative, that's not my intention, but I feel we are a fair bit off the pace, and I'd love for us to at least play some football on our terms and try to scavenge a win)

You and your ongoing negative rubbish G16!.......... :)

I think you've summed it up pretty well. One thing Bmac mentioned in the "Stringer" press conference on the 22nd was that it would be fun to have all of our cattle on the park at one time. I agree with him, but I'm not under any sort of illusion that we'll magically move the ball better when that happens.

We're too rough, and exposed from a developed skills perspective even with our best side on the park.

Mantis
24-05-2014, 09:50 AM

The discussion was about JJ and what he can bring to the team... He brings a point of difference in that he can run & carry the ball... Something we seriously lack.

His form hasn't been great this year, but he showed some signs against Melb that he was on the improve.. To drop him based on form is poor if that's the case.

I know what we are trying to do, clog it up, but from reports the weather is great up there and I doubt the game will be suited to a 'slog' which is often the case when games are played at night time at Metricon.... If the game opens up we will be in for some pain.

Scorlibo
24-05-2014, 11:04 AM
I know JJ showed positive signs, but ultimately his game against Melbourne was still very poor. I couldn't pick out a player who was worse. Hunter if anyone.

Go_Dogs
24-05-2014, 11:06 AM
The discussion was about JJ and what he can bring to the team... He brings a point of difference in that he can run & carry the ball... Something we seriously lack.

His form hasn't been great this year, but he showed some signs against Melb that he was on the improve.. To drop him based on form is poor if that's the case.

I know what we are trying to do, clog it up, but from reports the weather is great up there and I doubt the game will be suited to a 'slog' which is often the case when games are played at night time at Metricon.... If the game opens up we will be in for some pain.

Sorry, my post was a bit misguided then. I don't disagree with you on JJ, but that being said, I'm happy with the ins this week and content for JJ to spend a few more weeks at Footscray and find some really strong form before being promoted again.

As you say, hopefully the game doesn't open up tomorrow, because we'll really struggle.

Happy Days
24-05-2014, 12:58 PM

As suggested in the excellent match preview thread

Murphy'sLore
24-05-2014, 03:29 PM
I call shotgun.

And then on to Agincourt? :)

Hotdog60
24-05-2014, 04:23 PM
You'd have to know the internal policies. If the playing group had enforced an alcohol restriction on itself than I have no problem on how it's been handled

I wonder if they were at Clay Smith's 21st over the weekend?