PDA

View Full Version : Brian Taylor and Luke Darcy are you for real ?

ledge
11-05-2014, 10:54 AM
So I need to get this off my chest ..
Taylor after telling us Gia is subbed on for Dickson, two seconds later tells us Williams is subbed off for Gia.
At halftime both claiming Williams has torn his hamstring real bad and after halftime Williams is in the back line then goes forward and kicks a goal where Taylor claims he has been told to sit in the square .
The bias of Melbourne and how good they are even though we lead 99% of the game.
The prosecution of jones, hung, drawn and quartered even telling us how many games he will miss due to it .
The bias of Viney being held all the time and good to see the umpires not letting it go when Jones was held everytime he approached the ball.
Darcy I was the last I would have expected to be as bias as Taylor.
Both are as bad as Macavaney who jumps on whoever is winning at the time ...
Please bring in the ABC VFL commentators and stop with the bias loves for clubs of the moment and just commentate.

ledge
11-05-2014, 10:57 AM
Forgot to add Taylor calling johannison Morris and Macrae and others the wrong names and they don't even look like the players he was confusing them with !

Scorlibo
11-05-2014, 11:04 AM
Totally agree ledge, it felt like the whole game they were looking at things from the Melbourne perspective. The calls on the Jones hit really irritated me, especially whilst seeing Viney running around out there.

Please bring in the ABC VFL commentators and stop with the bias loves for clubs of the moment and just commentate.

Can't agree with this though! They'd need to learn the players' names first. Gerald Fitzgerald still has a serious man crush on Brett Goodes from his North Ballarat days and the other bloke couldn't stop talking about Bontempelli.

westbulldog
11-05-2014, 11:24 AM
Also the biased telecast on 7Mate exclusively cut to shots of Melbourne supporters only. Did anyone hear Matthew Richardson's derogatory comment about Crameri in the last quarter ?

Dogmatic
11-05-2014, 11:26 AM
Forgot to add Taylor calling johannison Morris and Macrae and others the wrong names and they don't even look like the players he was confusing them with !

^so true

AndrewP6
11-05-2014, 12:05 PM
I muted the tv and put the radio on, far less annoying.

bulldogtragic
11-05-2014, 12:08 PM
I was getting frustrated with the whole reporting the percentages of what voters thought rather than them having an opinion.

always right
11-05-2014, 12:09 PM
Also the biased telecast on 7Mate exclusively cut to shots of Melbourne supporters only.

To be fair they were probably struggling to find a group of bulldogs supporters last night.

always right
11-05-2014, 12:12 PM

Taylor was even worse last week in the bombers game. In one passage of play in the centre he claimed the umpires missed four consecutive frees and they were all in our favour. Watching the match back, it was obvious that none of them were free kicks. He is a tool of the highest order.

jeemak
11-05-2014, 12:21 PM
I have absolutely no doubt the commentators are provided with a narrative to follow, which they do to earn their pay cheques.

Last night's narrative was about Paul Roos' good work in improving Melbourne's structure, and the quality emerging at the MFC. The AFL needs MFC to return on their significant investment and people getting behind them. I'm not so sure they need or want the same thing from the Bulldogs, and I think it's reflected within the narrative of the game.

GVGjr
11-05-2014, 01:01 PM
I muted the tv and put the radio on, far less annoying.

I went to the game but will often do that as well if I don't like the TV commentators.

SonofScray
11-05-2014, 01:41 PM
I have absolutely no doubt the commentators are provided with a narrative to follow, which they do to earn their pay cheques.

Last night's narrative was about Paul Roos' good work in improving Melbourne's structure, and the quality emerging at the MFC. The AFL needs MFC to return on their significant investment and people getting behind them. I'm not so sure they need or want the same thing from the Bulldogs, and I think it's reflected within the narrative of the game.

Absolutely they do. It is an integral part of sports as entertainment. What they fail to realise is that sport is entertaining in its own right and is worse off for all this clap trap. Interestingly, Plough was on SEN yesterday around lunch and touched on the idea of narrative and influence from stakeholders over entertainment value, he was adamant that we were treated poorly in the media and by the League for being an unsociable team in that 97 era. I hate sounding paranoid, but they are out to make money and we do not factor into their thinking around generating big dollars. We're the filler.

I didn't rate Darcy's potting of Crameri on the replay, questioned his toughness a few times and then really took him to task for an act of frustration (which was reasonable but over analysed). I don't enjoy his media work at all.

soupman
11-05-2014, 02:19 PM
I didn't rate Darcy's potting of Crameri on the replay, questioned his toughness a few times and then really took him to task for an act of frustration (which was reasonable but over analysed). I don't enjoy his media work at all.

It's a shame that Darcy as a club legend has to be such a tool as a commentator. He makes stupid statements just generally all the time but on top of this I have rarely if ever heard him say something positive about us. I guess he contrasts well with Johnno.

LostDoggy
11-05-2014, 02:34 PM
Johnno was a bulldogs supporter before he was a player, club hero, club legend and then my idol. The man breathes, sweats and pees red, white and blue. That's why I love him as a commentator. He's the Odin of the dogs :)

Danny the snakeman
11-05-2014, 03:13 PM
Darcy is just an embarrassment, he's worse on Talking footy.

Scorlibo
11-05-2014, 03:22 PM
I like him as a presenter but not as a commentator.

F'scary
11-05-2014, 03:30 PM
If we can improve our style of play, they will all jump on board.

Greystache
11-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Some people might get a laugh out of this. Basically it's just tweet after tweet of all the shithouse generic clichés that wanker uses.

https://twitter.com/NOTLukeDarcy

Twodogs
11-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Some people might get a laugh out of this. Basically it's just tweet after tweet of all the shithouse generic clichés that wanker uses.

https://twitter.com/NOTLukeDarcy

Followed.

I've said this before but I don't really notice the commentators on TV. I might remember 1 or 2 things that were said after the game

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
11-05-2014, 06:29 PM
Roberts didn't get mentioned at all - I don't think they knew his name

Bumper Bulldogs
11-05-2014, 06:53 PM

I thought Carcy was spot on when he had a go at Crameri for the headlock and the time he %$#@ himself in the back line when he thought he was going to take a hard hit. Surprisingly the Dees didn't get stuck into Stew as well.

These two points aside I think he has forgotten about the club that made him what he is and gave him the leg up to start with, He is a modern day guy and nothing like Bobby D, Lou the lip Peter Mac and the old time guys. You new who they were backing.

ReLoad
11-05-2014, 09:58 PM
Quote of the night went to Brian Taylor, "the game will be over when it ends" like WTF they will call it off early?
I genuinely felt dumber after listening to them.

The Jones calling of the jones incident are a total joke, the media spent the last week going on and on about trial by media and not showing the slow mo etc, and what the hell? Let's hang him!
Under no circumstances should the AFL tribunal be allowed to watch games on the television as the coverage is seriously prejudicial.
BT and Darby have no right under any circumstances to determine a suitable outcome and their second guessing of the incident serves no purpose other than to enflame public opinion of the incident.

bornadog
11-05-2014, 11:31 PM
The replay is unwatchable with the sound on.

BT is so bad, I can't stand him, In fact the whole channel 7 broadcast is as bad as listening to Dwayne and co.

Remi Moses
11-05-2014, 11:39 PM
The commentary is atrocious , and I like others have the headphones on listening and watching the same time.
Taylor, Darcy and Richardson are having one giant love in.
At least Ling tries to bring something, but the continual hanging s*** on one another S**** me!

Ghost Dog
12-05-2014, 01:07 AM
There needs to be a campaign for them to be more professional. I get that they are trying to be funny, but their work lacks professionalism. I watch the broadcast on low quality video, and often they forget to actually say who has the ball. It's very annoying. Just call the game guys.

SonofScray
12-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Less ex footballers, more people the ilk of Clinton Gyrbas.

The Underdog
12-05-2014, 10:05 AM
The channel 7 Saturday night commentary team is bloody awful. An extension of the MMM blokey, insider football culture. It's all just egotistical exclusionary boys club bullshit and adds nothing of interest or relevance to watching a game of football. On the other side, it's cringeworthy watching them step outside of anything strictly related to a game of football. Taylor and Darcy are clearly the worst of it. To be fair I'm not sure there is a decent commentary team on TV at the moment.

As for Darcy being an advocate for our club, I don't think it should be part of his role. He should be neutral. We can't ask for more professionalism from him at the same time as we ask him to push our agenda.

craigsahibee
12-05-2014, 10:38 AM
I like him as a presenter but not as a commentator.

Say that again!

Webby
12-05-2014, 11:31 AM
The channel 7 Saturday night commentary team is bloody awful. An extension of the MMM blokey, insider football culture. It's all just egotistical exclusionary boys club bullshit and adds nothing of interest or relevance to watching a game of football. On the other side, it's cringeworthy...

Beautifully put! Well done. Group think, mate, mate, maaaate. We're all mates and we all agree. Tonight we're backing this team, not that one. It's a galling industry at times. Quality commentary, in my opinion, comes with understatement, conviction and diversity of opinion. The overstatement and violent agreement that Ch7 and MMM dish up is just sickening.

G-Mo77
12-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Less ex footballers, more people the ilk of Clinton Gyrbas.

The best I've ever heard. Wish he was still around :(

1eyedog
12-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Taylor is a cartoon character and Darcy is a yes man.

dadsgirl16
12-05-2014, 01:17 PM
I was at the game(in Pink) but watched the replay yesterday...OMG agree with all of you..they changed their tune only in the dying minutes when it was obvious we were going to win

LostDoggy
12-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Taylor has been going downhill for some time. Possibly three years. I recall a Carlton Vs someone (maybe us) a few years back. He was pumping the Blues big time when they were about three goals down with a minute to play. Convinced it was solely to stop viewers from turning the tv over.

His rants, mis-calling of players names, idiotic 'wow-wees' etc i believe, without making fun of it, are part of some cognitive degeneration in recent times.

At least he's slightly better than Dwayne.

Remi Moses
12-05-2014, 03:51 PM

Ain't that the truth.

Remi Moses
12-05-2014, 03:53 PM
Just listening to SEN's sports central( with the ordinary Daniel Harford) apparently The Crameri decision cost Melbourne the game.
Honestly the dross we get in the football media never ceases to amaze

1eyedog
12-05-2014, 03:55 PM
Just listening to SEN's sports central( with the ordinary Daniel Harford) apparently The Crameri decision cost Melbourne the game.

Well then the Morris touch on the line evens it out then.

azabob
12-05-2014, 03:58 PM

How can it cost them the game? It put us back in front, wasn't as though it was to increase the lead.

bornadog
12-05-2014, 04:06 PM
How can it cost them the game? It put us back in front, wasn't as though it was to increase the lead.

Last time I looked we won by 16 points not 5 points

always right
12-05-2014, 04:32 PM
Apparently it completely changed the momentum of the last quarter:rolleyes:......considering it was a quarter where the lead changed multiple times it's hard to make an argument for a momentum shift.

Remi Moses
12-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Goes back to the point of the narrative being Roos and the Melbourne love feast gushathon.
Not questioned on leaving that Spud Lynden Dunn on Crameri.

G-Mo77
12-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Last time I looked we won by 16 points not 5 points

But that one broke their spirit. :)

Hot_Doggies
12-05-2014, 06:22 PM

It is commercial tv. If just the Demons and Dogs fans watched , channel 7 would go broke. Of course they need a narrative to get the neutral fan in. Why would we be the story? Nothing sexy about a team who has been rebuilding for 3 years but currently treading water . The Paul Roos/demons rising makes perfect sense.

And yes BT is a knob!

Remi Moses
12-05-2014, 06:46 PM
That's true, but they gush over every little thing with Paul Roos.
I thought watching that Crameri and our forward line was killing them considering the 50 entries.
Yet Roos left Dunn on him, but not one mention from the box.
Yet Darcy was imploring we move Cooney to full forward in the last term.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
12-05-2014, 07:30 PM
And what the hell is hand candy?

LostDoggy
13-05-2014, 12:17 PM
I thought Carcy was spot on when he had a go at Crameri for the headlock and the time he %$#@ himself in the back line when he thought he was going to take a hard hit. Surprisingly the Dees didn't get stuck into Stew as well.

These two points aside I think he has forgotten about the club that made him what he is and gave him the leg up to start with, He is a modern day guy and nothing like Bobby D, Lou the lip Peter Mac and the old time guys. You new who they were backing.
I don't want Darcy to pump up the Bulldogs, it'd be just as unprofessional. I think he suffers from Coach Dad Syndrome, where the young fella sits on the bench all game so Dad isn't accused of nepotism.

Beautifully put! Well done. Group think, mate, mate, maaaate. We're all mates and we all agree. Tonight we're backing this team, not that one. It's a galling industry at times. Quality commentary, in my opinion, comes with understatement, conviction and diversity of opinion. The overstatement and violent agreement that Ch7 and MMM dish up is just sickening.
And people thought Rex Hunt was bad. I used to love Rex, he managed to inject character and humour without telling us how delicious Rioli was.

I thought the Melbourne midfield's love for the speccie cost them the game.

Don't want to know, to be honest.

kruder
14-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Its amazing how little Darcy and Richo know about football I dread having to listen to them.... Oh and Brian talk about nicknames and haircuts and twitter. What about some footy analysis????

The other thing thats a disgrace is that the broadcast is not in HD! How the AFL allow Channel 7 get away with it is beyond me. I'm not sure if everyone has seen HD football via Foxtel but its sensational.

westdog54
14-05-2014, 09:02 PM
Its amazing how little Darcy and Richo know about football I dread having to listen to them.... Oh and Brian talk about nicknames and haircuts and twitter. What about some footy analysis????

The other thing thats a disgrace is that the broadcast is not in HD! How the AFL allow Channel 7 get away with it is beyond me. I'm not sure if everyone has seen HD football via Foxtel but its sensational.

Still remember the first sporting event I watched in HD.couldn't believe the quality. Blows me away that 7 don't do it.

Richo and Darce both know their footy but BT just seems to drag them down to his level.

josie
14-05-2014, 10:37 PM
Hear hear regarding no HD on 7. They're bonkers. I'd rather them show footy on one only of their channels and make it HD. Standard TV in US & UK puts our TV broadcasting to shame. This should be added very high to list of gripes receiving airplay from footy fans. Let's hope AFL requires HD as part of next footy broadcast deal.

Twodogs
15-05-2014, 12:16 AM

It's what the inside of the commentary box is covered in after any game that Paul Roos is involved in.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
15-05-2014, 06:26 PM
It's what the inside of the commentary box is covered in after any game that Paul Roos is involved in.

And I thought it was just when Bruce Mcavaney saw Cyril

1eyedog
15-05-2014, 07:29 PM
And I thought it was just when Bruce Mcavaney saw Cyril

Or Wan Kery

G-Mo77
15-05-2014, 08:16 PM
I've heard BT on 3AW and he's a hell of a lot better on there. Don't get me wrong I'd rather listen to someone else but he's tolerable on radio.

Scorlibo
15-05-2014, 11:56 PM
I thought Foxtel still broadcast in SD?

AndrewP6
16-05-2014, 12:39 AM

They have some HD channels.

bornadog
16-05-2014, 09:32 AM

They have some HD channels.

yeah only 35

Twodogs
16-05-2014, 05:08 PM
yeah only 35

Terry Wheeler.

Danny the snakeman
20-05-2014, 03:18 PM

The ch7 games that are on fox are upscaled SD but look abit better than watching on ch7, the other 5 fox games are lovely HD. OneHD did the footy great years ago,not only HD but 5.1DD surround. All footy will be HD after next rights.

bornadog
20-05-2014, 05:15 PM
The ch7 games that are on fox are upscaled SD but look abit better than watching on ch7, the other 5 fox games are lovely HD. OneHD did the footy great years ago,not only HD but 5.1DD surround. All footy will be HD after next rights.
I thought the ch7 quality looked like dodgy HD , thank you for clearing that up.

How good does real HD footy look