PDA

View Full Version : More Draft Talk

The Doctor
25-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Following on from the Trade and Draft strategy thread I thought it might be an idea to look at what we should do in regards to recruiting now that the trading is over and other clubs are finalising their pre-draft lists.

This where I see our list at present,

we started the year with 40 on the primary list including 2 veterans and 4 rookies.

So far we have had 10 delistings (Grant, Darcy, Power, McMahon, Montgomery, Robbins, Walsh, Faulkner, McCormack, Baird) from the primary list. 2 rookies were cut (West & Pask).

We have 2 incoming in Hudson and Callan.

So that leaves 32 on the primary list and 2 rookies. Lets allow 2 spots on the primary list for veterans (Johnno and West). This means at present we are entitled to 8 selections between the drafts and 2 further rookies. Assuming Harbrow be elevated it would be 7 picks and 3 rookies.

7 picks would mean we go into the national draft with picks 5,19,35,43,48,66,82. Or we drop the last pick and save one for the PSD.

Now that we have established all this I'll get to the point.

We have put ourselves into a pretty good position to rejuvenate our list as a result of some skilful trading and perhaps a bit of luck. It seems to me that there is plenty of talent being cut from other lists swelling the talent pool quite a bit.

In my view I think we should do the following.

* Use first 3 picks on the best juniors we can find
* Use 2 mid range picks on young players delisted from other clubs
* Use 1 late pick on an experienced player
* Use 1 pick in the psd to get the best player available.

Let me explain why I think like this;

* Our first 3 picks are very good picks and should net us some fine young talent. A nice mix of KP's and perhaps a decent ball winning midfielder would compliment our list nicely.

* Once we get to around picks 43 & 48 I would be tempted to use at least one if not two picks on players like Kep Bradley, Ryley Dunn, Darren Pfeiffer among others if they are available and would suit a need. These are young footballers who are ready to play now and just might be the kind of player/s who may find a change of scenery just the tonic. Young kids are always speculative at this stage of the draft so unless there is a must have junior still available then I can see some value in recycling a young experienced player.

* What about using a late pick on a more experienced player. It wouldn't surprise me if Eade does this. A player like Mark Johnson from Essendon as a replacement for Monty perhaps. We usually reserve this pick for a highly speculative youngster. However we have lost a lot of experience this year and a player llike this could have some value for us.

* PSD pick for the best player that happens to be around. Who knows what might come up. Perhaps we use it on a player who has spent the pre season with us. Maybe if the clubs preceding us commit early to uncontracted players we may be able to entice a player. What about Cousins?????

food for thought?

Twodogs
25-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Terrific post Doc. Well thought out and I'll give some more thoughts when I've got some time.

Cousins is the real wild card in the pack.

LostDoggy
25-10-2007, 12:51 PM
I would take 7 kids with our 7 national draft picks. Might get 2 or 3 good players out of that lot. Ben Cousins? Are you serious? He is turning 30 next year and that is the least of his problems

Sockeye Salmon
25-10-2007, 01:15 PM
I expect Hughes to be elevated as well. I have some doubts about his disposal, but would we select him if he was available at pick 82? I suspect we would.

That leaves 6 spots.

Picks 5, 19, 35 & 43 on the best kids we can get. Ideally 2 x key forwards, 1 x midfielder & 1 x ruckman.

I agree that a recycled big body would be worth a go, Bradley or Watts perhaps? Pick 48 would get us Bradley before Freo's pick 56. If Freo intended to use pick 40 on him they could have just traded it to Essendon.

Pick 66 or PSD? There's only two reasons for using the PSD pick - if there's a player who's out of contract still available at our pick (the way things are looking this seems highly unlikely) or if you have more than one guy in mind and would like to have a look at them. The PSD is only a couple of weeks after the ND, so how much are you going to learn about them in a few training runs?

I suspect we'll take a kid too young to be rookie listed with pick 66, the typical Clayton, 65kg "he'd be top 10 next year" type and pass on the PSD.

A big fat pass on the likes of Mark Johnson. I don't agree that we're short on experience. We're short on old blokes, but that's a good thing. We have lots of blokes born in 81 or 82, 26-27 next year (that's right, Gilbee, Hahn and Hargrave all turn 27 next year, Murphy, Gia, Boyd, Morris and Harris 26. As Yabby Jeans once said "it's later than you think"!). These guys all have 100 odd games and enough experience.

Mantis
25-10-2007, 01:26 PM
It is a very important draft and one which will mould our direction over the next 5 to 8 years. Both Clayton and Eade have to get this one right.

I am sure at present Clayton as list manager would be carefully dissecting our list and determining the type of players we need to make our list more rounded. In saying that Clayton must also almost use a crystal ball to see where the young players on our list will be in 2 or 3 years time and what positions they will fill.

The most obvious hole to fill is that of a key forward. We have no-one on our list who looks suited to that role. Tiller looks ok, but will play more as a leading type rather than pack marker, but who knows? We must use 2 of our first 5 selections to draft players who have the ability to play the role of a 'power forward' in years to come. Would think that one of our first 2 picks would have to be used on this type of player.

The rest of his selections are a mystery and will stay that way til draft day. You have suggested to add in some experience, but do we need a player like Johnson? I would hope our core group of players in the 24-28 age bracket will come to play next year, add a tougher resolve to there game, and lead the way. Agree that we would look at picking up players who have been on an AFL list for 1-3 years (ex Freo??) as much of there development has begun.

Also I think we will use the rookie draft to pick up the O'Shea types (speculative picks) rather than the national draft.

Raw Toast
25-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Good thread Doc.

Drafting strategy is always an intriguing question and this year more so than many I reckon. Clayton and Eade showed in 2005 that they were prepared to go for a young player from another club in Baird at pick 46, and the old-stager in Monty at 55 before punting on West at 57.

FWIW I think like Sockeye that we're elevating Hughes as Eade said last week we've got 6 lives picks heading into the draft.

It does seem like there's a bit more 'recyclable' young talent this year. It's interesting that a few clubs seem to have cut fairly deep into their lists when the bf hype keeps saying its a shallow draft. Part of it is probably the new coaches looking to put their stamp on things (Harvey and Knights in particular).

It also seems like we're going to go fairly tall with some of our early picks, which makes sense both structurally and also with Clayton apparently rating a fair few of the young talls on offer. And another inside mid would be handy.

I'd be happy with one-to-two of our late picks punting on the young delisted types. Unless Clayton was pretty bullish on a particular player you'd think we'd be influenced a fair bit in terms of need here, as well as with what's on offer in the untried mob. I'd like a forward contested mark option like Watts and a runner or rover if possible, but if Hughes is elevated we might only take one young delisted type. Collard is another I'm interested in but you'd have to be confident he's keen for a fresh start a long way from home.

If there's an O'Shea-like player out there - that is a project player who's already got a decent body, then I'm happy for us to go for them with a late speculative pick. I'd prefer to stay away from the Wells, M West types who are yet to show they can play after significant injuries.

Also don't mind if we rookie a ruck rather than pick one up in the draft. And not keen on an M Johnson type player, unless they meet a very particular need (and he doesn't I don't think).

westdog54
25-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Great Post Doc.

This is a question for those who've watched a lot of Werribee's games this year.

What are the chances that Michael Rockefeller may end up at the Bulldogs through any of the three upcoming drafts?

I remember seeing him making up numbers in the intra club, but he actually impressed me quite a bit.

Mantis
25-10-2007, 04:31 PM
Great Post Doc.

This is a question for those who've watched a lot of Werribee's games this year.

What are the chances that Michael Rockefeller may end up at the Bulldogs through any of the three upcoming drafts?

I remember seeing him making up numbers in the intra club, but he actually impressed me quite a bit.

I think he will end up on someone's list, whether it's ours is another matter.

He does rack up some good numbers, but has a few deficiencies in his game and maybe a bit to alike to some of our current players to find his way onto the Bulldogs list.

Another player who may create some interest is another ex-Werribee player in James Allan. Had a great year in SA and must be a chance.

I think with players such as Swan and Bartel playing so well this year I think there is still a spot in footy for 'pure' footballers. Not atheletes, just footballers.

LostDoggy
25-10-2007, 07:10 PM
I'd be happy to add a couple of experienced players within our selections and agree that Bradley might be worth a shot. Dunn also but not that keen on the otherwise talented Darren Pfeiffer given some of the things I have heard about his dedication. I'm not exactly sure why but Haddrill actually appeals as someone who could blend in well with our side and potentially release some others up forwards.
Mark Johnson is a bit to similar to our current midfield group and there unless there is a specific role in mind, he might not be a good one for us.
Collard has some star qualities about him but would be risky.

I'd select the best two players with our first two selections and make sure that we at least get one ruckman with one of our 3rd round selections. I actually think we need to select 2 young ruckman this year although one of them could be a rookie.

LostDoggy
25-10-2007, 07:19 PM
does anybody know why the two first year fremantle players were delisted? Clayton collard and caleb mourish? i just found that really odd, or were they from the psd or something?

LostDoggy
25-10-2007, 07:35 PM
does anybody know why the two first year fremantle players were delisted? Clayton collard and caleb mourish? i just found that really odd, or were they from the psd or something?

What I have heard is that Collard like the social part of his life a bit more than professional footballers should and Mourish was a bit unlucky because the Dockers had an otherwise full list. I suspect that a couple of the Dockers might be re-drafted by them.

dog town
25-10-2007, 08:08 PM
I have said it a few times now but I dont think we should neglect our running stocks. We have a little bit coming through but a little bit of pace would not hurt. Dont care how we get it but the last thing we want is to be one paced with a game plan that is based around breaking the lines.

I dont mind some of the things that Bradley has to offer but isn't he just giving you similar traits to Skipper and Wight? The bombers say that his best position is as a lead up CHF and thats where he played his best footy in the reserves this season (b&f). If he can play as a CHF then fine go for it but if he is going to play as a relief ruckmen or defender then I dont see the merit in it. I know some people will say he can play on a wing but the reality is that a guy that size on a wing in the modern game would be ridiculous. He is not a great kick and is obviously not as agile as guys 20cms smaller so whats the advanatge of playing him on a wing? The days of getting an advantage by playing tall marking options on the wing are pretty much gone because you just dont see those quick kicks out to a contest as much. You would basically be playing him their just to prove that he can.

Ryley Dunn was just a really tough and hard kid when I saw him in the U/18s. Not sure he had alot of other strings to his bow and that might be what has cost him as much as his injury problems. Known more for his smothering, tackling etc than he was for being a big ball winner or highly skilled.

Unless someone really jumps out as someone who can really help our list then I am always a fan of just pumping more kids into the list. Having said that I must admit if we have 7 picks then perhaps it is a bit much to be putting 7 18 year olds into your list so we should certainly have a good look at the talent around.

I have mentioned Grima from Geelong's rookie list before as a player that might be worth a look. James Allan always struck me as one of those guys who could step straight into the centre square mix at an afl club and immediately get his hands on the ball but we have alot of similar players in that area already. Would love to see him get a go though.

LostDoggy
25-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Ryley Dunn is still contracted to Freo and will be rookie listed. Despite the fact he couldn't get a kick in a electric chair

Bulldog Revolution
25-10-2007, 09:38 PM
For me I'd like to see the first 5 picks used on kids. I would prefer not to recycle too many - I dont really see the sense in Bradley or Johnson, and we seem to have a few Collards on the list already i.e lightly built aboriginal kids.

For me Clayton has to
a) find some forward options in this draft.
b) rethink the lightly built types - he can take his favourite 1 but not 6
c) add a developing ruckman.

westdog54
25-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Ryley Dunn is still contracted to Freo and will be rookie listed. Despite the fact he couldn't get a kick in a electric chair

The fact that he had a contract becomes irrelevant once he is delisted.

He can be rookie drafted by whoever picks him first. Or drafted in the National draft for that matter if he nominates.

Sockeye Salmon
25-10-2007, 09:40 PM

It doesn't matter if he's contracted or not - he's been delisted and if they want him on their rookie list they'll have to draft him like anyone else. If we want him, all we'll have to do is get in first.

Edit: Too quick for me, Nick.

Go_Dogs
26-10-2007, 11:50 AM
* Our first 3 picks are very good picks and should net us some fine young talent. A nice mix of KP's and perhaps a decent ball winning midfielder would compliment our list nicely.

* Once we get to around picks 43 & 48 I would be tempted to use at least one if not two picks on players like Kep Bradley, Ryley Dunn, Darren Pfeiffer among others if they are available and would suit a need. These are young footballers who are ready to play now and just might be the kind of player/s who may find a change of scenery just the tonic. Young kids are always speculative at this stage of the draft so unless there is a must have junior still available then I can see some value in recycling a young experienced player.

* What about using a late pick on a more experienced player. It wouldn't surprise me if Eade does this. A player like Mark Johnson from Essendon as a replacement for Monty perhaps. We usually reserve this pick for a highly speculative youngster. However we have lost a lot of experience this year and a player llike this could have some value for us.

food for thought?

Great post. For what it's worth, I don't thik Pfeiffer is someone we should look at. Had a few troubles off field this year, IIRC.

I'd almost be interested in throwing a life boat to someone like Jason Torney as far as experienced players go. Finished well in the Crows B&F, can play forward or back, and is a tough player.

We've certainly put ourselves in a position where we are turning over a large quantity of the list, and if all goes well it'll most likely be the largest turnover we have for a while. As Mantis said, we need to make sure we get it right.

I also suspect we may upgrade Hughes, depending on how he presents over summer.

Not sure if Allan will get a spot anywhere. He's very short, isn't he? Certainly did have a dominating year down here though.

LostDoggy
26-10-2007, 06:57 PM
I think todd grima would definetly be worth a look.........he is exactly what we need and he is young and had a great year in the vfl, if geelong's forward line wasn't as potent as it is he would have got a a handful of games at least (and the fact that he was a rookie didn't help)............. He hasn't been promoted or delisted yet has he?

LostDoggy
26-10-2007, 10:07 PM
I think todd grima would definetly be worth a look.........he is exactly what we need and he is young and had a great year in the vfl, if geelong's forward line wasn't as potent as it is he would have got a a handful of games at least (and the fact that he was a rookie didn't help)............. He hasn't been promoted or delisted yet has he?

I'm a bit interested in this bloke. Good size and seems to have the form to support a senior spot position. Geelong are really loaded for key forwards so a player like Grima regardless of his form just cannot find a spot.

mjp
26-10-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm a bit interested in this bloke. Good size and seems to have the form to support a senior spot position. Geelong are really loaded for key forwards so a player like Grima regardless of his form just cannot find a spot.

Do you think he is an AFL Key Forward? I don't.

LostDoggy
26-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Do you think he is an AFL Key Forward? I don't.
Only saw him play a couple of times but he had a good season. I'll bow to your view if you don't think he is up to it.

LostDoggy
27-10-2007, 12:35 AM
he still has plenty of potential to fulfill so i think that he could become an afl footballer and a highly regarded one.

LostDoggy
27-10-2007, 12:36 AM
And if we did go for him it would only be in the rookie draft so we would not be throwing away too much

LostDoggy
27-10-2007, 12:38 AM
we wouldn't be wasting much on him if we did give him a chance either because we would only be throwing away a preseason draft pick for him.

GVGjr
27-10-2007, 12:46 AM
we wouldn't be wasting much on him if we did give him a chance either because we would only be throwing away a preseason draft pick for him.

Why would you say that? Surely if he was on our radar we would select him in the National draft with a late pick. The PSD is a waste of time for us given most of the decent guys are re-signing. Anyone that does slip through will be picked off by the Tigers and Blues.

I would think we would want any potential player to get to the club sooner rather than later.

Sockeye Salmon
27-10-2007, 12:51 AM
Bradley would cost pick 48 in the national draft because Freo will take him with pick 56 otherwise.

LostDoggy
27-10-2007, 01:04 AM
I am not willing to throw away pick 48 for Kepler Bradley, i think there is too much risk involved and thanks GVGJR.

FrediKanoute
27-10-2007, 03:22 AM
I am not willing to throw away pick 48 for Kepler Bradley, i think there is too much risk involved and thanks GVGJR.

I disagree. I think bradley is a guys who has been played out of position at Essendon and for pick 48 in a shallow draft he would be a steal. He is the type of guy who is "ready now" as opposed to one who needs to develop over the next 2 - 4 years. Its no shame not to be able to get a game in front of Lloyd or Lucas!

mjp
27-10-2007, 09:03 AM
he still has plenty of potential to fulfill so i think that he could become an afl footballer and a highly regarded one.

Fine - but if you think he is a key forward at AFL level then I think you are mistaken. He could play a third tall, Kent Kingsley type role I guess. I see him as the type of player we would always be trying to replace.

Bulldogs_6
27-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Sorry people if this is annoying to some, so please just ignore it if you want. But for me and im sure a few others, i can't get enough of it!
Please use this thread to post ur top 10's and who you think the bulldogs should take with their respective picks. cheers.

Dry Rot
27-10-2007, 07:14 PM
Sorry people if this is annoying to some, so please just ignore it if you want. But for me and im sure a few others, i can't get enough of it!
Please use this thread to post ur top 10's and who you think the bulldogs should take with their respective picks. cheers.

There's some excellent discussion about this here.

BulldogBelle
28-10-2007, 01:10 AM

Firstly, loved your post Doc.

Yes, I am of the same opinion using a late pick in the PSD for a more experienced player, a bit of extra experience & knowledge in the team would be good considering the guys that retired at the end of the seasaon had strung so many games between them. At the end of the day the Dogs will pick who they think is right for the team, if it is good enough for them it is good enough for me.

GVGjr
29-10-2007, 08:33 AM
We really do need for Clayton to hit the mark here with this draft effort. Our list and game plan was exposed and we need add a bit of size and strength to the squad. A draft that nets us a better overall balance should be the main aim.

I'd like to see us get (in no particular order) a key forward, a creative forward, an emerging ruckman, a hard working in an under midfielder and an exciting running player. I think this can be achieved whilst still sticking to roughly the best available principle with the early selections.

To top it off if we could add a player with some senior football experience then that would be great as well.

Bulldog Revolution
29-10-2007, 09:08 AM
As you've suggested GVGJr - Robert Hadrill is someone who would be is at the right age where he could contribute for 5 years, hes also struck me as a pretty reasonable defender when he's played with a good safe pair of hands.

I have a vision of him as not that disimilar to James Clement - perhaps not as nimble

Is he capable of playing on both talls and smalls?

LostDoggy
30-10-2007, 10:35 PM
what are his quick stats?
Hgt:
Wgt:
Position:

Go_Dogs
31-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Interesting to read today that Brad Ebert was not interviewed by us.

Mantis
31-10-2007, 11:44 AM

Why??

Unless one of the highly fancied midfielders slides and I probably mean Cotchin or the like I would suggest that our first pick will be someone who can fill the role in years to come as a tall forward.

LostDog
31-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Todd Grima is the brother of Australian Opal Basketballer Hollie Grima.

Grima is a former Basketballer himself, would be worthy of a shot in the PSD by us

The Underdog
31-10-2007, 12:04 PM

Expect us to pick him then...
Seriously though, I'd imagine we aren't spending a lot of time on midfielders that will be gone by pick 19, especially if Clayton's targetted 2 (tall?) players he is pretty sure will be around.
I'm not saying he won't do due diligence on players he likes and might be available as a back up plan, but as the report on last year indicated, he seems to target players fairly specifically according to when they are likely to be picked up. Also maybe Clayton just doesn't rate him that highly.

Go_Dogs
31-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Why??

Unless one of the highly fancied midfielders slides and I probably mean Cotchin or the like I would suggest that our first pick will be someone who can fill the role in years to come as a tall forward.

I tend to agree, but surely if players are going to be around the mark for our selection, they should at least get an interview.

southerncross
31-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Just been having a look at inside football's special draft edition. They are still indicating Lachlan Henderson

Mantis
31-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Just been having a look at inside football's special draft edition. They are still indicating Lachlan Henderson

I think if we have learnt anything from the past 2 years Scott Clayton doesn't tend to pick who the so-called experts believe we should. He goes with who he believes is the right player. This process has worked very well with our last two 1st rd picks (Higgins & Everitt)

The Underdog
31-10-2007, 12:20 PM

It's not necessarily the most accurate of publications. There's always a number of errors in there, although I always buy the draft ed to get my head around the names, type of player etc, as I don't get to see them play. Still a long way to go too.

Bulldog Revolution
31-10-2007, 02:12 PM
I think if we have learnt anything from the past 2 years Scott Clayton doesn't tend to pick who the so-called experts believe we should. He goes with who he believes is the right player. This process has worked very well with our last two 1st rd picks (Higgins & Everitt)

But as soon as we expect him to do that then picking the guy everyone thinks we are going to pick is unpredictable

Surprised we didn't speak to Ebert but only hindsight

LostDoggy
31-10-2007, 11:24 PM
It's not necessarily the most accurate of publications. There's always a number of errors in there, although I always buy the draft ed to get my head around the names, type of player etc, as I don't get to see them play. Still a long way to go too.

I agree. You would have to think that we need to select a couple of key positions players with our first three selections though. McEvoy, Henderson and maybe Grant for the first pick and I'm not sure of the others but if we end up with 4 undersized midfielders I don't think it will a great return for us. A couple of good talls and a couple of strong midfielders plus a ruckman will be a good day for us.

The Underdog
31-10-2007, 11:29 PM
I agree. You would have to think that we need to select a couple of key positions players with our first three selections though. McEvoy, Henderson and maybe Grant for the first pick and I'm not sure of the others but if we end up with 4 undersized midfielders I don't think it will a great return for us. A couple of good talls and a couple of strong midfielders plus a ruckman will be a good day for us.

There seems to be enough talls rated in the top 20 that there seems a reasonable chance that there'll be an opportunity to pick up some talls early on. Of course it depends who Clayton likes.

As for Inside Football, it's always good to get a feel for the players but a lot of the info seems to be u18's coaches taking players up, it doesn't seem as thought the mag does much in the way of research and just repeats info. It's 2 top 10's had us picking Henderson, both compared him to Pavlich. They also seem to miss players. Renton didn't make the list of 200 odd possibles profiled, whereas it would appear he's firmly in the mix to be drafted.

Topdog
06-11-2007, 05:12 PM
There seems to be enough talls rated in the top 20 that there seems a reasonable chance that there'll be an opportunity to pick up some talls early on. Of course it depends who Clayton likes.

Exactly, it looks like it will be fairly easy for us to get 2 talls in the top 20. It's just a matter of making sure that they are both good enough.

southerncross
06-11-2007, 08:35 PM
If the Dogs are to take a delisted player who do you think it might be?
Bradley?
Johnson?
Or someone else?

If so would we use a 3rd round selction?

A Geelong mate still thinks Scott Thmpson who played some good footy for them in the VFL would be an ideal player for us to trial for a season. Anyone know much about his?

wimberga
06-11-2007, 08:49 PM
We need a tall forward. But if we take that option through draft, give or take 3-5 years for them to develop. Therefore we are effectively losing out short term. I'd wouldnt mind picking up Chris Masten at pick 5 if he lasted that long, and then going for a tall with pick 19. all guesswork though. Id be just as happy with Henderson at pick 5 though.

LostDoggy
06-11-2007, 09:28 PM
We need a tall forward. But if we take that option through draft, give or take 3-5 years for them to develop. Therefore we are effectively losing out short term. I'd wouldnt mind picking up Chris Masten at pick 5 if he lasted that long, and then going for a tall with pick 19. all guesswork though. Id be just as happy with Henderson at pick 5 though.

Be interesting to see if we go with our 'best available' ploy of other years or draft for our needs. Personally, I think we have to draft to our needs and select either McEvoy or Henderson or whatever tall Clayton rates at pick 5. It may be after that pick we can go 'best available' but I would lean to the selection of talls over smalls as the general rule.

wimberga
06-11-2007, 09:40 PM
Guess it depends on whether we are trying to nab the flag while we still got Johnno and Westy playing, as you would assume whatever talls we select wont come on in time.

Dry Rot
06-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Guess it depends on whether we are trying to nab the flag while we still got Johnno and Westy playing, as you would assume whatever talls we select wont come on in time.

How long do you think they have?

IMO we need a couple of quality tall forwards to be a real contender.

wimberga
06-11-2007, 11:31 PM
How long do you think they have?

IMO we need a couple of quality tall forwards to be a real contender.

I think without injuries and best case scenario 2010 would be last chance, so any young forward taken in the draft, you would think, would just be entering the senior side as a force.

I am personally of the thought that this year our problems were in midfield, not in the forward line. In 05 we had no problem's scoring, and last year i really just believe that it was because of the massive amounts of pressure we were put under that we couldnt deliver it properly into the forward line.

In the case that injuries strike again and we have to resort to bombing it long, a power forward would make very handy, but i think whilst the window is open for Johnno and Westy that we should try play our free flowing style and put our faith in players like Tiller, Mcdougall and Skipper. Eade has also mentioned Minson down front, though im not sure of that suitability

Twodogs
07-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Eade has also mentioned Minson down front, though im not sure of that suitability

What about the "Harris for full forward" move?

Mantis
07-11-2007, 01:18 PM
What about the "Harris for full forward" move?

Are you starting the petition?

Go_Dogs
07-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Are you starting the petition?

Someone should.

Not sure where Torney is at, but he would be one that we could possibly look at in the PSD I think. Don't think we'll look at recycled players in the actual draft, although perhaps we may with a late-ish pick.

I do feel that it would be good to add one experienced player to the list, we will be pretty light on this coming season.

wimberga
07-11-2007, 01:30 PM
I for one am not fan of moving Harris up front. I am of the belief that when you have a player playing well and earning the clubs best and fairest honours, why change that around? Its one of only a few positions that we actually have held down.

Its this simple, move Harris from fullback and opposition full forwards will find next season much easier than they did this season playing on Harris.

Go_Dogs
07-11-2007, 01:45 PM
I guess a lot of that depends on what we can expect from McDougall, Williams, Everitt and Wight. IMO, we have a good core group of youngsters who can hold together the backline.

Lots of top forwards have become top forwards after serving time in the backline or other spots. Not saying Harris will be one of those, but the contested marking ability he showed this year, says to me at least, that he is currently the best candidate to play a role in the forward line.

I don't want it to happen at total expense of the backline, but if the club can find some common ground and be sure that the others left in the backline can do a serviceable job, it could help us alot this coming year.

Dogs 24/7
07-11-2007, 02:06 PM
I have read some good things about Tony Notte. Is the the type of player we should look at?

always right
07-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Personally I think that all this talk over who we should play up forward i.e. Harris, Williams, McDougall....is wishful thinking. Whichever option we choose, we create a problem elsewhere.

Our best bet is to have blokes who can play in multiple positions and throw them around as the game or circumstances dictate. If there are no obvious match-ups for Harris in a particular match, then throw him up forward. You could say the same for a number of our blokes. Williams, Everitt, Hargrave, McDougall, Murphy, Skipper, Tiller, Wight....could all play defence or attack. This sort of flexibility could become a strength with opposition teams unable to plan for players to be in the one position each week.

wimberga
07-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Let's head back to the draft thread.

Are we drafting for needs or best available? If we assume that Kreuzer, Cotchin and Morton are the first three picked, that leaves a wide variety of players left. I would be happy with Mcevoy or Henderson if we go for the tall KPP that we need. I would also be very happy if we could snare Chris Masten at pick 5.

Mantis
07-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Let's head back to the draft thread.

Are we drafting for needs or best available? If we assume that Kreuzer, Cotchin and Morton are the first three picked, that leaves a wide variety of players left. I would be happy with McEvoy or Henderson if we go for the tall KPP that we need. I would also be very happy if we could snare Chris Masten at pick 5.

Why those two KPP in particular? What makes you think that they fit in with the particular style that we do play or will play in the future?

wimberga
07-11-2007, 03:35 PM
I am just going on the reports that they are the best young KPP in the draft, i cant go on anymore than that. I would probably prefer to get Masten, though im not sure why.

Sockeye Salmon
07-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Lots of top forwards have become top forwards after serving time in the backline or other spots. Not saying Harris will be one of those, but the contested marking ability he showed this year, says to me at least, that he is currently the best candidate to play a role in the forward line.

I don't agree at all.

Lots of forwards become top defenders but not many defenders become successful forwards.

FrediKanoute
08-11-2007, 12:17 AM
I don't agree at all.

Lots of forwards become top defenders but not many defenders become successful forwards.

I agree! Generally in junior teams which are average to good, the best players are either onballers or forwards. The reason being that these guys are capable of winning games off their own boot and junior footy is less about stopping the opposition than winning. Hence guys who have talent typically play these positions. My understanding is that it is when they get to TAC or Colts level that they start to specialise as a defender. I'm sure MJP could elaborate further though.