PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs launch Club's first Indigenous Guernsey

bornadog
16-05-2014, 05:16 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Images/Merchandise/MER0052-Indigenous-Guernsey-WEBHERO.jpg

The Western Bulldogs have launched the design of their Indigenous Round guernsey, to be worn by the Club in their Round 11 home fixture against Fremantle at Etihad Stadium

The Indigenous guernsey design is the first in the Club’s history and has been designed by indigenous artist Anzack Newman.

PRE-ORDER NOW: Purchase your limited edition Western Bulldogs Indigenous Guernsey now from the Bulldogs Shop

Newman was approached by Western Bulldogs forward Liam Jones to design the guernsey, the pair are friends of many years after attending school together at Melbourne’s Scotch College.

The guernsey’s design incorporates a host of indigenous art styles, including those of the Coastal, Torres Strait Island and Desert people, and also features the names of all 18 indigenous playersthat have represented the Club in senior VFL/AFL competition.

Most significantly, the artwork detailed in the guernsey design tells the story of how every individual has their own journey to playing, and being involved with, the game of Australian Rules football, and how the game has many Indigenous people with their life journey.

Looking closely at the guernsey design, the dots and triangle linework are representative of the artistic style of the Desert people, while the black triangle and semi-circle linework are indicative of the artistic style of the Torres Strait Island and Coastal people.

The limited edition Western Bulldogs’ Indigenous Round guernsey is available for pre-order from the Bulldogs Shop, with collection available in the weekcommencing Monday, 26 May 2014 ahead of the Fremantle match.

Adult guernseys cost $120, while Youth Guernseys cost $90.

The guernseys are exclusive to the Bulldogs Shop and are only available for purchase through the Club.

The Western Bulldogs will wear the newly launched Indigenous Guernsey when they play the Fremantle Dockers in their home Indigenous Round match at Etihad Stadium on Sunday, 1 June 2014, commencing at 3:20pm.

- See more at: http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-05-16/dogs-launch-indigenous-guernsey#sthash.dUNRDJ5s.dpuf

bornadog
16-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Looks fantastic.

1eyedog
16-05-2014, 05:18 PM
Looks fantastic.

Yep they got this one right.

soupman
16-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Serious? I hate it.

The footy ground looks out of place and is not going to look great on anyone with a gut and the hoops look like they've been photoshopped on.

Much prefer something like Adelaide's where the hoops are part of the design not just stuck on top of it.

*It might look better in real life and I appreciate the sentiment.

dadsgirl16
16-05-2014, 05:24 PM
this^^^

1eyedog
16-05-2014, 05:40 PM
Serious? I hate it.

The footy ground looks out of place and is not going to look great on anyone with a gut and the hoops look like they've been photoshopped on.

Much prefer something like Adelaide's where the hoops are part of the design not just stuck on top of it.

*It might look better in real life and I appreciate the sentiment.

I believe they have been photoshopped on at this stage. Who has a gut in the AFL other than Dane Swan? It's our traditional heritage untouched overlaying Indigenous heritage and I like it as it is. The colours are vibrant and appropriate and so is the design. It's a recognizable Bulldogs jumper incorporating Indigenous artwork.

Adelaide's Indigenous jumper doesn't even look like Adelaide's jumper.

soupman
16-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Who has a gut in the AFL other than Dane Swan?

Supporters:)

The colours are vibrant and appropriate and so is the design. It's a recognizable Bulldogs jumper incorporating Indigenous artwork.

Adelaide's Indigenous jumper doesn't even look like Adelaide's jumper.

While it obviously does still hold our design I just think Adelaide's style is much more subtle.

Personally I like consistent patterns so I really like North's one (aside from the paw print in the middle), Adelaide's is very unobtrusive but you can still clearly see their jumper template. Geelong's is shite though. Looks like a kids version.

LostDoggy
16-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Almost fell off my chair when i saw that only 18 had represented us. It amazes me that i've seen about 16 of the 18 actually play and i'm only early 30's.

Bulldog4life
16-05-2014, 06:31 PM
Supporters:)

While it obviously does still hold our design I just think Adelaide's style is much more subtle.

Personally I like consistent patterns so I really like North's one (aside from the paw print in the middle), Adelaide's is very unobtrusive but you can still clearly see their jumper template. Geelong's is shite though. Looks like a kids version.

Supporters with pot bellies shouldn't wear football jumpers full stop. Shocking look.

bornadog
16-05-2014, 06:34 PM
http://image.tmclient.ticketmaster.com/lib/fe9515707d640c7871/m/3/IndigenousGuernsey-EDM-ART.jpg (http://click.tmclient.ticketmaster.com/?qs=38560d97f82fb72a60c5bfa4fe93a046f6fb7fa736d5d75ffbce1443 2929f6606e575ea2ad59e999)

chef
16-05-2014, 06:40 PM
It would look alright if it didn't have that oval on it.

Remi Moses
16-05-2014, 06:45 PM
Anyone over 30 shouldn't be wearing a footy jumper, full stop.
Looks okay, but way overpriced .

The Bulldogs Bite
16-05-2014, 06:54 PM
I think it looks fantastic - really unique.

Final version should look better too, as I am sure the hoops will contrast much better (the images look photoshopped). An idea could have been to have the hoops with some kind of design too.

IMO it would be brilliant without the oval, but I am still a big fan. I'll wait to see it in person, but I'll probably buy one.

AndrewP6
16-05-2014, 07:29 PM
Hate it. The hoops just don't work with the rest of the design, would've been much cleaner with just the art. Not a fan at all.

bulldogtragic
16-05-2014, 07:31 PM
Surprised TheCoonDog didn't release the images to us a little earlier? :)

lemmon
16-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Need to rework the hoops but I'm a fan

1eyedog
16-05-2014, 07:56 PM
I think it looks fantastic - really unique.

Final version should look better too, as I am sure the hoops will contrast much better (the images look photoshopped). An idea could have been to have the hoops with some kind of design too.

IMO it would be brilliant without the oval, but I am still a big fan. I'll wait to see it in person, but I'll probably buy one.

Agreed it's an artistic piece and it's doing what artistic pieces do and that's stimulate debate. The oval makes it for mine and is what actually makes it unique.

Hate it. The hoops just don't work with the rest of the design, would've been much cleaner with just the art. Not a fan at all.

Well it wouldn't be a Bulldogs jumper with just the art would it.

AndrewP6
16-05-2014, 10:12 PM

Why not? They'd only need to incorporate the colours.

F'scary
16-05-2014, 10:19 PM
Like the guernsey. Good stuff that aboriginal art. Very distinctive style.

The oval will help some of our players, not mentioning any names, to be on target when handballing.

1eyedog
16-05-2014, 10:22 PM
Why not? They'd only need to incorporate the colours.

Well that would make it a red white and blue Indigenous jumper. I like Richmond's jumper because they incorporate Indigenous design with their traditional sash.

We need to keep the hoops.

Webby
16-05-2014, 11:54 PM
I hear all the "art's purpose is to provoke debate" stuff, but I can only be honest... When I saw that jumper, my stomach turned... It's uglier than sin. Even the deplorable Origin Energy guernsey from years ago has it covered. UGLY!

GVGjr
17-05-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm all for the club being bold with the design and I'm really pleased we are acknowledging the contribution Indigenous players have made to the competition and our club.

Others can debate if the jumper is a good one or not as I have a very low level of art appreciation anyway but as a one off effort I'm not going to complain.

bornadog
17-05-2014, 10:32 AM
I'm all for the club being bold with the design and I'm really pleased we are acknowledging the contribution Indigenous players have made to the competition and our club.

Others can debate if the jumper is a good one or not as I have a very low level of art appreciation anyway but as a one off effort I'm not going to complain.

Can't believe people are complaining about the design.

The jumper is a recognition of all 18 indigenous players that have represented the club. I applaud the club for going ahead with something like this as we have never done anything like this before. We should all be proud of the players that have been (and still are) at the club and support them during indigenous round v Freo.

KT31
17-05-2014, 11:00 AM
It would look alright if it didn't have that oval on it.

Agree, it looks like an overgrown bellybutton.

Mofra
17-05-2014, 11:39 AM
I'm in the "it's so bad it's possibly good" corner - I suspect after round 11 there might be a few on sale cheaper than $120

Happy Days
17-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Team it with the red shorts and I'm ALL IN, looks very 13th Floor Elevators.

Ghost Dog
17-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Like the idea. Not a big fan of the design.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-05-2014, 02:22 PM
The blue design and colours are alluring and beautiful. The oval is brilliant, suggestive of it as a symbol of the game that holds deep meaning for the indigenous and represents a place where all races play as equal celebrants.
Maybe the flow of the pattern would include the starkness of the red and white hoops better it if were horizontal also?

Webby
17-05-2014, 03:25 PM
Can't believe people are complaining about the design.

The jumper is a recognition of all 18 indigenous players that have represented the club. I applaud the club for going ahead with something like this as we have never done anything like this before. We should all be proud of the players that have been (and still are) at the club and support them during indigenous round v Freo.

I think you need to separate the motivation from the output. No one's questioning the gesture! Every club has an Indigenous jumper, nowadays. If we're going to do it, we might as well do it well. From what I've just seen, ours is highly likely the worst one in the comp. It's very, very uneasy on the eye!

I'm all for getting behind the club. Check 99.9% of my posts. However, from time to time, a spade needs to be called a spade........ and this guernsey is a f#%king shovel!

1eyedog
17-05-2014, 03:34 PM
I think you need to separate the motivation from the output. No one's questioning the gesture! Every club has an Indigenous jumper, nowadays. If we're going to do it, we might as well do it well. From what I've just seen, ours is highly likely the worst one in the comp. It's very, very uneasy on the eye!

I'm all for getting behind the club. Check 99.9% of my posts. However, from time to time, a spade needs to be called a spade........ and this guernsey is a f#%king shovel!

Pretty disrespectful to the artist if you ask me not to mention the club generally who clearly like and support the design. If you don't like it you don't need to be so vehement in your response. I know art provokes different sentiments in people and you are entitled to your opinion but this post is over the top.

Webby
17-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Pretty disrespectful to the artist if you ask me not to mention the club.

Well, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Critiquing a piece of art is NOT disrespecting an artist. There is a distinction. I could make a pretty strong argument to point out quite the opposite. It is also plainly NOT disrespectful to the club - which I happen to love and support.

As with critiquing Will Minson's form, or Matty Boyd's disposal, this is not disrespectful to them or the club. As a paid up member and supporter of the club (who, in part pays the wages of said players, marketing staff and commissioned artists), I think I have every right to say that a jumper looks good, bad or or indifferent..

The club's heavily rumoured to be launching a new logo next year. If & when I see it, if I don't like it, I'll say so! And don't expect me to pen a letter of apology to the graphic artist whose wages members like myself will have effectively paid! It's fair game.

1eyedog
17-05-2014, 04:22 PM
Again, no problem with the critique it was how it was delivered - still, as you say your call as a paying member.

If you were at the footy and called Minson a f#*king hack I'm sure you would get more disapproving looks than the post I put up.

I know I know you're a member, fair game etc. etc.

boydogs
17-05-2014, 04:43 PM
I liked it the first time I saw it, but that was on Twitter where the oval was cut off. The top half looks nice

Webby
17-05-2014, 04:51 PM
If you were at the footy and called Minson a f#*king hack I'm sure you would get more disapproving looks than the post I put up.

That's a fair analogy, but I think this is where you've lost the plot in applying it to my comment. I'm not calling anyone a f#%king hack. I'm calling the actual jumper terrible - which in my opinion (and many others) it plainly is!

So what you're doing here is he equivalent of taking the comment "that was a f%^ing terrible kick, Minson" and trying to twist those words into a far more personal,aggressive and inappropriate "you're a f^#king hack, Minson!" There is a very big difference in what you're unfairly trying to infer.

1eyedog
17-05-2014, 05:06 PM
That's a fair analogy, but I think this is where you've lost the plot in applying it to my comment. I'm not calling anyone a f#%king hack. I'm calling the actual jumper terrible - which in my opinion (and many others) it plainly is!

So what you're doing here is he equivalent of taking the comment "that was a f%^ing terrible kick, Minson" and trying to twist those words into a far more personal,aggressive and inappropriate "you're a f^#king hack, Minson!" There is a very big difference in what you're unfairly trying to infer.

You said of the jumper...."It's a f*&^ing shovel.
You implied that your right to critique the jumper is not unlike your right to critique Minson or Boyd on the football field.
I am saying that if you used the same words you used to critique the jumper above on Minson or Boyd (your analogy) then I wouldn't see that as a big difference. And I certainly wouldn't think it unfair to draw it to your attention.

Webby
17-05-2014, 05:39 PM
You said of the jumper...."It's a f*&^ing shovel.

Yes, I said it's a f*&^king shovel. (Which is reference to a joke you may not have gotten - my bad!)

To which you inferred that I was being disrespectful to the artist and the club! Something that I utterly reject.
You then tried to twist my point about it being equally my right to critique an artist's work as it is a player's output. Likening it to me personally abusing players at the football. With a fairly crass and unfair example.

Point being, "that's a f&$king terrible kick, Boyd" or ""that's a f$&king terrible hand pass, Minson" is a world away from saying "you're a f&$king hack, (insert name)". Same applies to Gary Ablett or Rembrandt!

That, to me, is disappointing, overblown and irrational.

bornadog
17-05-2014, 05:43 PM
and this guernsey is a f#%king shovel!

To you, however I like it.

Its a once off, its not a permanent logo or design.

Webby
17-05-2014, 06:09 PM
To you, however I like it.

Its a once off, its not a permanent logo or design.

Yeah, I know, you said as much earlier. I also understand that it's a once-off. I have no problem with that. One man's trash is another man's treasure and tastes vary from person to person. I just despise being told by PR police that I'm being disrespectful to the club or individuals for expressing my disappointment with it. The whole point of a forum is to have a crack and occasionally people on this one can get a bit holier than thou.... And cliquey, whilst I'm at it...

If everyone agrees constantly and goes all "tut-tut" whenever there's a dissenting voice, this forum will be duller than a knitting convention!...

Many seemed to be gushing about it and I just felt compelled to express my polar opposite view.

1eyedog
17-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I know, you said as much earlier. I also understand that it's a once-off. I have no problem with that. One man's trash is another man's treasure and tastes vary from person to person. I just despise being told by PR police that I'm being disrespectful to the club or individuals for expressing my disappointment with it. The whole point of a forum is to have a crack and occasionally people on this one can get a bit holier than thou.... And cliquey, whilst I'm at it...

If everyone agrees constantly and goes all "tut-tut" whenever there's a dissenting voice, this forum will be duller than a knitting convention!...

Many seemed to be gushing about it and I just felt compelled to express my polar opposite view.

Relax it's just an internet forum luckily you'll get over it.

And I have no problem with people voicing negative opinions but as per my original post calling it a f&^%ing shovel was over the top = my opinion.

Webby
17-05-2014, 06:38 PM
Relax it's just an internet forum luckily you'll get over it.

And I have no problem with people voicing negative opinions but as per my original post calling it a f&^%ing shovel was over the top = my opinion.

I find it somewhat ironic that the chief of the PR Police is telling me to relax after trying to pin being "disrespectful to the footy club" on me for not liking a jumper for the past three hours. Also telling me to relax and "get over it."

If only you'd heeded that mantra three hours ago, you'd have saved us both a lot of bother!

GVGjr
17-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Guys, lets get the discussions back on track

1eyedog
17-05-2014, 07:09 PM
I find it somewhat ironic that the chief of the PR Police is telling me to relax after trying to pin being "disrespectful to the footy club" on me for not liking a jumper for the past three hours. Also telling me to relax and "get over it."

If only you'd heeded that mantra three hours ago, you'd have saved us both a lot of bother!

Ha ha the chief of the PR Police! If you knew me or even read my posts you'd know that that label is quite ridiculous. Internet forums are a great medium for debate and differing opinions and I've had nothing better to do over the past three hours. Again, and this just does not seem to sink in, having a negative opinion on the footy jumper is fine - there are many posts that voiced displeasure before yours. I thought you vocabulary needed checking so I gave you my opinion on that as I thought it was disrespectful, my opinion.

Apologies GVGjr I'm back on track.

I can't wait to see the jumper on the boys during the match with Freo.

Webby
17-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Accusation and opinion are two very different things. If I'm accused of something, I'll defend myself.

Whilst I'm checking my vocabulary, perhaps you could return the favour for me? Opinion vs Accusation.

.... And for the record, I called the jumper "ugly as sin". The reference to calling a spade a f&$king shovel was an analogy referring to the need to shoot straight on this matter. In my opinion.. As in "I know 'ugly as sin' is strong, but sometimes a spade needs to be called, not just a spade, but a f$&king shovel".

.... It's an old Twelfth Man Tony Greig line that was probably lost on you. I'm sorry that this apparently poor attempt at humour has made you feel compelled to Ryan Crowley me for four hours!

.. And apologies GVGJnr, I'm back on track now...

1eyedog
17-05-2014, 07:54 PM
Who are you poor defenceless Andrew Swallow?

My comments were directed at the nature of your comment towards the jumper not you as a person. Accusation and opinion are only differentiated by the subjective opinion of the interpreter. Sorry, I should have stated ....I feel like those words you used about our jumper are over the top.

Anyway as I cannot seem to leave this alone I'll have to log out for a few days and do us both a favour.

bulldogtragic
17-05-2014, 07:55 PM
I never get the last word with the missus. How about I have it now gents?

chef
17-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Yep. Take it to PM if you want to argue.

ratsmac
17-05-2014, 11:01 PM
I think the jumper is awful. Thank God it's a once off. I like the art work on it's own but not on a footy jumper. Hopefully the real life version is so harsh on the eyes.

SonofScray
17-05-2014, 11:40 PM
I don't like it when we wear gimmick jumpers. I understand it is ultimately a cash grab through merchandise sales but I would rather we didn't tinker with our kit too often, certainly not mess with the colours.

bulldogtragic
17-05-2014, 11:58 PM
I don't like it when we wear gimmick jumpers. I understand it is ultimately a cash grab through merchandise sales but I would rather we didn't tinker with our kit too often, certainly not mess with the colours.

This. Aside from embracing our indigenous brothers and sisters, which is a very good thing, the big brands like Collingwood don't play with the main visual branding, being the jumper. I would prefer we didn't either, surely there are more effective ways to assist the most vulnerable areas of society.

soupman
18-05-2014, 12:23 AM
Surely there are more effective ways to assist the most vulnerable areas of society.

Impossible. Nothing makes such a meaningful contribution to an underrepresented group of people in the AFL than a themed match or round with all too frequently forgettable or regrettable playing guernsey adjustments and a half arsed pre-match message on the banner.

F'scary
18-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Impossible. Nothing makes such a meaningful contribution to an underrepresented group of people in the AFL than a themed match or round with all too frequently forgettable or regrettable playing guernsey adjustments and a half arsed pre-match message on the banner.

Are you saying its a variant of "Slacktivism"? Other more widely known variants are "ribbontivism" and "clicktivism"

The critique juste of these isms is that they afford an easy opportunity to feel good about oneself without really doing anything about the social ill in question.

Ghost Dog
18-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Agreed it's an artistic piece and it's doing what artistic pieces do and that's stimulate debate. The oval makes it for mine and is what actually makes it unique.

All great artworks stir debate? Perhaps some do but now always. A good artwork has a sort of universal appeal that strikes a chord with not all, but quite a few people, the moment you glance. The jumper lacks that 'zing'. Doesn't really strike me as a 'classic'.
Is anyone on here Indigenous or have friends who are? Do the jumpers have an important role to our Indigenous friends or it's dismissed a bit. Like to find out.

Webby
18-05-2014, 08:39 PM
All great artworks stir debate? Perhaps some do but now always. A good artwork has a sort of universal appeal that strikes a chord with not all, but quite a few people, the moment you glance. The jumper lacks that 'zing'. Doesn't really strike me as a 'classic'.
Is anyone on here Indigenous or have friends who are? Do the jumpers have an important role to our Indigenous friends or it's dismissed a bit. Like to find out.

I know we’re all footy fans here, but put any art on a footy jumper and it instantly becomes ever so slightly kitsch. So beyond that point, if you absolutely have to do it, less is, indeed, more.

Put this artwork on a canvas and it would look good. I’d have no problem hanging it in my house. I have no issues with the artist. The Mona Lisa is a masterpiece which was painted by a genius. However, slap it on a WBFC Guernsey with red and white hoops around it, and it’d look pretty ordinary. Of that I’m quite certain. If I saw it and stated as much, rest assured it does not mean I’m calling da Vinci a hack..

This is a product of the (paid) marketing department of the footy club (and AFL). They’ve tried to shoehorn a big canvas of work onto a Guernsey and, unfortunately, it looks terrible. (In my opinion). I am at pains to stress once again, it looks terrible as a football jumper.

It is said that a camel is a horse designed by committee. This jumper is a good example of that. So that’s a disappointment in itself. As an added layer of disappointment, I know our marketing slogan is “Gather the pack”, however this particular endeavour smacks ever so slightly of “Follow the pack”. There’s no originality in the gesture at all. As someone says, it reeks of ‘slacktivism’ and is a token gesture at best, or a money grab at worst. Every single NRL club now has an Indigenous Guernsey. Richmond (from memory) were the first in the AFL, and we’re, once again, at the back of the pack. I’d have preferred if we came up with something more original, sincere and less commercialised. Instead, it's kind of a "Well everybody else is doing it, so I guess we should too..!"

I suspect that the Indigenous community (as with many token gestures) probably see through it. An artist will be happy to take the money (and why not?!), but I think the broader Indigenous community would be pretty under-whelmed. The club, no doubt, anticipated to sell a number of these at $120 a pop… If they manage to sell more than a hundred or so, they’ll be lucky. So the whole ‘initiative’ (an I use the term lightly) will be both a missed opportunity to differentiate ourselves, as well as a commercial failure.

Having said that, I hope there’s a bit more to it than this Guernsey and I’m proven wrong.....And perhaps I should lighten up, but I'd like the club to show more bold leadership and initiative. That's how success is ultimately achieved.

Ghost Dog
18-05-2014, 10:51 PM
By the sounds of it, they should have had a comp on here to come up with a design. There are some very talented designers on this board.
Or at least vetted it with the expert brain-trust at woof.net haha

1eyedog
19-05-2014, 12:25 AM

No I didn't say all artwork I was generalizing. My wife was an artist pre-kids and I've lostt count how many times I've heard contesting views on pieces - I would say that art is one of the most polarising topics I've ever come across and that is what I was getting at.

I'm Indigenous and a member of the local Wurundjeri Tribe. The designs are meaningless and are often painted in a style not endemic to country. This particular design has no relevance to Wurundjeri land of which Footscray the suburb is a part of. As far as I know the symbols used on the jumper are not relevant to Victoria or anywhere else in Australia - they are not universal. They are simply the individual work of an Indigenous artist. As Webby suggested it's an opportunity for Anzak to make some cash and exercise artistic licence and I believe he put three options before the club and they chose this one.

1eyedog
19-05-2014, 12:53 AM
By the sounds of it, they should have had a comp on here to come up with a design. There are some very talented designers on this board.
Or at least vetted it with the expert brain-trust at woof.net haha

I'm not sure that a non-Indigenous person designing an Indigenous jumper is what the club had in mind for Indigenous round but you're right, there are some very talented designers of WOOF.

soupman
19-05-2014, 08:25 AM
I’d have preferred if we came up with something more original, sincere and less commercialised. Instead, it's kind of a "Well everybody else is doing it, so I guess we should too..!"

Every club is doing one so I'm not sure it's so much us "following the pack" as the AFL telling us we are participating. At least ours isn't as half arsed as Geelongs, even if I don't particularly like ours... at all.

LostDoggy
19-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Well, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Critiquing a piece of art is NOT disrespecting an artist. There is a distinction. I could make a pretty strong argument to point out quite the opposite. It is also plainly NOT disrespectful to the club - which I happen to love and support.

As with critiquing Will Minson's form, or Matty Boyd's disposal, this is not disrespectful to them or the club. As a paid up member and supporter of the club (who, in part pays the wages of said players, marketing staff and commissioned artists), I think I have every right to say that a jumper looks good, bad or or indifferent..

The club's heavily rumoured to be launching a new logo next year. If & when I see it, if I don't like it, I'll say so! And don't expect me to pen a letter of apology to the graphic artist whose wages members like myself will have effectively paid! It's fair game.
Sorry to blow on the embers of this particular argument, I just wanted to say that being a graphic designer is not about just delivering what your client wants. At some point the client needs to either accept your style or do it themselves. So I'm all for giving this guy free reign, and sticking by what he's come up with. When you hire a graphic designer, you're not just agreeing to pay them.

But it's raising awareness (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/23/18-awareness/)!

Ozza
19-05-2014, 10:40 AM
Gee whiz....a 4 page thread on a once off jumper! 3 and a half pages more than I expected!

Ghost Dog
19-05-2014, 11:05 AM
I'm not sure that a non-Indigenous person designing an Indigenous jumper is what the club had in mind for Indigenous round but you're right, there are some very talented designers of WOOF.

You make sense in regards to creating something more informed. I'm not sure about design background and culture.
If we were only allowed to use designs limited to our culture, what fun would that be.

However I am sure that a Wurudjeri or other tribe member would be able to create something more meaningful than what we have. As you say, putting in some symbols in it in regards to the Western region.
Interesting to hear about your background 1eyedog.

Hope they get Archie Roach to play on the day.

Greystache
19-05-2014, 11:18 AM
It's pretty awful, but I can live with it.

I showed it to a few neutral supporters who described it as a train wreck.

1eyedog
21-05-2014, 02:33 PM
You make sense in regards to creating something more informed. I'm not sure about design background and culture.
If we were only allowed to use designs limited to our culture, what fun would that be.

However I am sure that a Wurudjeri or other tribe member would be able to create something more meaningful than what we have. As you say, putting in some symbols in it in regards to the Western regio

Interesting to hear about your background 1eyedog.

Hope they get Archie Roach to play on the day.

The only team in the AFL that have approached the Wurundjeri to get feedback on jumper design is Essendon and that was instigated by Michael Long rather than the football club. Michael, Paddy Ryder and Courtney Dempsey all came into the offices in Abbotsford to discuss options.

bornadog
21-05-2014, 03:14 PM
The only team in the AFL that have approached the Wurundjeri to get feedback on jumper design is Essendon and that was instigated by Michael Long rather than the football club. Michael, Paddy Ryder and Courtney Dempsey all came into the offices in Abbotsford to discuss options.

The whole idea of the Bulldogs jumper was instigated through Liam Jones. If you read the OP, he approached indigenous artist Anzack Newman.

1eyedog
22-05-2014, 12:15 PM
The whole idea of the Bulldogs jumper was instigated through Liam Jones. If you read the OP, he approached indigenous artist Anzack Newman.

It's great that Liam did that.

Webby
22-05-2014, 05:40 PM
It's great that Liam did that.

I really can’t see why you’re gushing about this great effort by the AFL, the club and Liam Jones.
As Plough said: “If I see one more bloke getting a pat on the back, being told well done, you tried hard, I’ll SPEW UP!”

It’s clear that the AFL have been asleep at the wheel on this one and, not only that, but WBFC were snoozing at the back of the AFL bus.
The (typically dysfunctional) NRL have been doing it for years, now. Even the SANFL and the WAFL have gotten the jump on the AFL... (and that’s assuming the whole concept/gesture holds any true weight or meaning in any case..)

The corporatized and reactionary AFL clearly mandated all clubs to create an Indigenous themed Guernsey. The club reacted by asking one or more of its players if they had any Indigenous mates who were artists and could do with a few grand to produce something? LJ said “Yep.”
No local Wurundjeri were consulted and a (quite nice) piece of blue artwork was commissioned from a Queensland artist who went to school with LJ.

Too easy. Choose a piece, send it off to the jumper manufacturer, whack the hoops around it and, hey presto! We tick the box and we’ll sell a heap...
... Only problem is, it’s an horrific looking football jumper which possesses virtually zero relevance to the local Indigenous community. Probably more importantly (if we’re honest!) it won’t sell.

bornadog
22-05-2014, 05:47 PM
I really can’t see why you’re gushing about this great effort by the AFL, the club and Liam Jones.
As Plough said: “If I see one more bloke getting a pat on the back, being told well done, you tried hard, I’ll SPEW UP!”

It’s clear that the AFL have been asleep at the wheel on this one and, not only that, but WBFC were snoozing at the back of the AFL bus.
The (typically dysfunctional) NRL have been doing it for years, now. Even the SANFL and the WAFL have gotten the jump on the AFL... (and that’s assuming the whole concept/gesture holds any true weight or meaning in any case..)

The corporatized and reactionary AFL clearly mandated all clubs to create an Indigenous themed Guernsey. The club reacted by asking one or more of its players if they had any Indigenous mates who were artists and could do with a few grand to produce something? LJ said “Yep.”
No local Wurundjeri were consulted and a (quite nice) piece of blue artwork was commissioned from a Queensland artist who went to school with LJ.

Too easy. Choose a piece, send it off to the jumper manufacturer, whack the hoops around it and, hey presto! We tick the box and we’ll sell a heap...
... Only problem is, it’s an horrific looking football jumper which possesses virtually zero relevance to the local Indigenous community. Probably more importantly (if we’re honest!) it won’t sell.

Other than that great idea right:D

bulldogtragic
22-05-2014, 05:47 PM
At some point, we just need to agree to disagree.

Greystache
22-05-2014, 05:49 PM
At some point, we just need to agree to disagree.

I don't agree to that!

bulldogtragic
22-05-2014, 05:54 PM
I don't agree to that!

Well I don't agree to not agreeing to that Ricky? :)

azabob
22-05-2014, 05:54 PM
I don't agree to that!

I disagree that you don't agree with BT.

Do we have agreement on that?

bulldogtragic
22-05-2014, 06:06 PM
I disagree that you don't agree with BT.

Do we have agreement on that?

Well to agree we'd need a contract.

The parties of the first part..... And only if the contract has a sanity clause. You can't fool me there ain't no sanity clause.

(god i love old cinema - name the 1930's movie :) )

bornadog
22-05-2014, 06:29 PM
Well to agree we'd need a contract.

The parties of the first part..... And only if the contract has a sanity clause. You can't fool me there is no sanity clause.

(god i love old cinema - name the 1930's movie :) )

sounds like Grouch Marx but can't remember the movie

bornadog
22-05-2014, 06:30 PM
http://youtu.be/0_VeZBOCsUE

bulldogtragic
22-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Well done BAD. Chico Grouch. You get a Gold Stamp. The name is also a Queen Album, named after the movie.

bornadog
22-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Well done BAD. Chico Grouch. You get a Gold Stamp. The name is also a Queen Album, named after the movie.

WE digrest but I am bored of the negative replies:

This one is so funny (it is about the West:D)

http://youtu.be/LOe2bTVLRxk

bulldogtragic
22-05-2014, 06:52 PM
I'm a Night at The Opera and Day at the Races fan. I love the scene at the race track where Groucho gets conned into buying all those books. Just simple humour, it reminds me of my childhood when we were on struggle street and all we had was old and second hand movies to watch. I love it, my wife doesn't get them, but it always makes me smile watching those two movies in particular.

bornadog
22-05-2014, 06:55 PM
I'm a Night at The Opera and Day at the Races fan. I love the scene at the race track where Groucho gets conned into buying all those books. Just simple humour, it reminds me of my childhood when we were on struggle street and all we had was old and second hand movies to watch. I love it, my wife doesn't get them, but it always makes me smile watching those two movies in particular.

http://youtu.be/OVapaUAyiiU

click to around 18.29?

bulldogtragic
22-05-2014, 06:57 PM
You made my day BAD. :) :) :) :) :)

C- "You don't want to bet on him"
G - "He wins all the time"
C - "But that's only because he comes first"

boydogs
23-05-2014, 09:56 PM
And you thought ours was bad

http://puu.sh/8YQQm.jpg

KT31
24-05-2014, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=gogriff;376433]And you thought ours was bad [QUOTE]

Is it that bad that the post has been censored, I just get a little box with a cross.;)

Happy Days
24-05-2014, 01:11 PM
I'm a Night at The Opera and Day at the Races fan

http://youtu.be/3VuVGmY14go ?

boydogs
24-05-2014, 06:32 PM
Is it that bad that the post has been censored, I just get a little box with a cross.;)

Sorry mate, should be right now

Scorlibo
27-05-2014, 09:55 PM
I hadn't realised that the jumper was designed by Anzack Newman. I lived on-campus with Anzack, played some College footy with him too. Quiet guy but very friendly and a terrific footy player in his own right. Congratulations to him on a great design.

bornadog
27-05-2014, 10:58 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bom-0MACQAAwgqb.jpg

Here is the actual finished product worn by our current indigenoues players.

See Liam discuss here: http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2014-05-27/bulldogs-reveal-indigenous-guernsey

Murphy'sLore
28-05-2014, 02:27 PM
Are any of these players actually going to play for us in Indigenous Round?

azabob
28-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Are any of these players actually going to play for us in Indigenous Round?

2 of them played last round. I think Stevens will play.

bornadog
12-05-2016, 12:18 AM
New Jumper to be worn by men and women

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CiLFuPqU4AIEPwU.jpg:large

soupman
12-05-2016, 12:20 AM
Much better than the last one. There's a picture of Koby Stevens on Facebook that it looks better in as well. See below

bornadog
12-05-2016, 12:21 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CiKHNdCUgAAimlL.jpg:large

1eyedog
12-05-2016, 08:17 AM
Deadly.

Cyberdoggie
12-05-2016, 11:01 AM
I think it's a little busy for my tastes. I bit too much going on, from a distance it might look a mess.

Not meaning to be too critical but rather than trying to create a work of art, I think keeping it simple with subtle changes is best.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-05-2016, 03:00 PM
Looks great.

Happy Days
12-05-2016, 03:26 PM
Anyone know why the Susan Alberti Medical Research Foundation logo is on the back?

Happy to be corrected but it doesn't really seem appropriate at first glance.

boydogs
13-05-2016, 02:38 PM
Anyone know why the Susan Alberti Medical Research Foundation logo is on the back?

Could just be for the women's team

LostDoggy
13-05-2016, 08:12 PM
I liked last years but not a fan of this years, at all.

BornInDroopSt'54
14-05-2016, 01:53 PM

Football jumpers are primarily billboards, even before celebrating aboriginality.

KT31
15-05-2016, 12:38 PM
Huge improvement on the last one.

bornadog
24-05-2016, 02:20 PM
Story behind the new design with our two Indigenous players and Goodes

here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2016-05-24/koby-and-joel-visit-the-pitcha-makin-fellas)

1eyedog
24-05-2016, 04:23 PM

Yeah what's with that?

I think the red, white and blue boomerang needs to go.