PDA

View Full Version : Jake Stringer

Pages : [1] 2

GVGjr
17-05-2014, 09:52 AM
No doubt Stringer has had a mixed bag of a season with some good games mixed in with some poor ones. Questions about his concentration during the game and his ability to carry out the instructions from the coach have been raised during discussions on the forum.

He was switched to the back line and after a poor first up effort has now played some good games.

How do you rate the future of Jake Stringer?
How have you rated his season so far?
Where do you seem him playing for the balance of the season?

I'm still very positive about his future with us and think that some of his form issues this season are just the normal cycle of a young player fitting into the demand and rigors of AFL footballers. I'm particularly pleased with the way he has adapted to some of the defensive jobs he has been given. I think that speaks volumes about a young player who has accepted the challenge of learning another aspect of his development.
Hopefully he will come back from the bye refreshed for the next month or so of games.

I'd be very interested in your thoughts.

Maddog37
17-05-2014, 10:02 AM
I just see Luke Hodge mark 2. From his demeanour to his size and style of play. Could end up playing mid, back or forward depending on team needs. Long, long way to go of course. Hopefully he becomes a mid as he is a good user and breaks the lines.

F'scary
17-05-2014, 01:26 PM
He got lost in the forward line early in the season. Needs to keep building up his stamina. Needs to get a bit more experience to achieve that balance between knowing when to hold onto the pill for longer and when to move it on quickly. At the moment, he holds onto it too long sometimes.

Clearly, he has a lot of ability and excellent physical attributes. Not sure what position he is going to make his own but there are quite a few options open - just about all of them bar ruck or genuine rover, I suppose.

1eyedog
17-05-2014, 01:30 PM
I think he needs to learn a few lessons about doing the basics right and maybe those lessons are harder to learn (or easier to hide) in the forward line as opposed to the back line. There may be a dual purpose of Stringer going back such as learning how find the football, doing the 1%ers and also filling the breach while Morris was out. I think Stringer going back has been very good for him in terms of accountability.

Do we think he'll stay down there with all of Wood, Roughie, Talia, Roberts and Moz fit?

LostDoggy
17-05-2014, 01:30 PM
I'm really pleased with his year so far, had me worried a little early on but he has got better as the year goes on.

Playing him away from the goals seems to have taken the pressure off and as he gets fitter he will only get better.

I see a bit of Goddard about him.

The bulldog tragician
17-05-2014, 02:01 PM
I'm a very big fan of Jake & think his move back is a positive step. Early in season as a forward there were a lot of remnants of the former junior star who relies on big speccies and is able to get away with playing from behind. He was in danger of developing selfish, lazy traits and I'm sure that's what the coaching panel were keen to stamp out.

He's made mistakes down back but his delivery out has often been great. I have a feeling next year we'll see the right balance of his inner lair and a more mature approach. He's got so much talent, he is going to be a terrific player.

One last point- as a forward, why did he suddenly get the yips? I remember how thrilled we were at his look of ' I want to kick this goal' confidence. But he's missed some sitters this year.

Mofra
17-05-2014, 02:36 PM
He's a second year mobile tall - personally I think he's ahead of the bell-curve in terms of his development.

westdog54
17-05-2014, 03:07 PM
So far I still love what I see.

I was skeptical about moving him to the backline but it has enabled him to get his hands on the ball and build his confidence with his disposal and decision making. We just need to pick his match ups carefully as he isn't a natural defender.

Still only his second year, has plenty of potential left in him.

LostDoggy
17-05-2014, 04:49 PM
I'm totally confused by him. Started up forward year 1 looking like a true forward. Had the strut, had the arrogance backed both up off the boot. Sustained in flashes all season and I expected the same but slightly better season 2.

Started s2 fitter, leaner looked hungrier and played up forward like he'd been accidentally promoted from Dingley 2nds. Could hit a barn door, didn't seem to want or at least know how to get the ball. Sent down back was aweful (not as bad as jones) then a couple of good games, best one for mine was 2 before the break.

Looks ok, best 22 but jury is out on servicable vs good vs great. You don't use pick 5 on a 3rd tall back so I hope we get something more from him. We won't know for another 4 years where his ceiling is and I have no idea if the leg remains a factor and for how long if so?

Less excited than I was but still hopeful.

boydogs
17-05-2014, 05:09 PM
Credit to you GVG, you called his move to the backline and he has done better than I thought he would. He has every reason not to be playing well - young, tall, recovering from a leg break and building fitness, out of position, baby on the way - but he is a good contributor at the moment

bornadog
17-05-2014, 05:50 PM
I have seen improvement every week and he moves surprisingly well. Still lacks strength when playing on bigger opponents, but he has a long way to go. Another couple of pre-seasons and will all be praising what a great pick 5 he is.

bulldogtragic
17-05-2014, 06:23 PM
I imagine all kids that get drafted have at some point been able to not put in 100% or play for the speccy things and skate on by. I think like all successful kids that kick on after being drafted, they learn what effort and hard work really is. If you ask me trading Stringer for Ollie Wines as the next pick after the dogs 2 picks. I still keep stringer thank-you.

ReLoad
17-05-2014, 06:56 PM
He reminds me of a first year Bob murphy. Considering stringers development body issues I think it's a fair comparison, he has bob like tricks in his arsenal and is clearly no average joe.

Like others have posted, going back has helped him read the play better and to focus on his man.

His new fatherhood would also be having an impact, so overall I'm happy with his progress.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-05-2014, 07:14 PM
He's a second year mobile tall - personally I think he's ahead of the bell-curve in terms of his development.

Agreed.

Signs since he has moved up the field have been very encouraging. I have been pretty impressed with his efforts through the middle of the ground on occasion, and as a defender. He generally uses the ball well, but it's his composure that has stood out - he's also got some evasive skills coupled with his natural aggression.

I still think he will be a genuine star of the competition provided he works hard.

Remi Moses
18-05-2014, 01:28 AM
Been a smart move from the Coaching side of things.
Gotta admit he looked like a dear in the headlights in the Crows game, but he's got better and moved into the middle as well.
He was going games without touching it, so it's a positive move

anfo27
18-05-2014, 12:26 PM
I've been quite happy with Jakes progress thus far. When he was forward i was concerned he wasn't in the game enough to deserve a game week in and week & once Roughie & Morris went down it seemed like a logical move to send Jake down there. Has made some errors but is in the play a hell of a lot more which will help his development & confidence. He seems like a kid that hates to lose a one on one contest so a defensive role for a while will be very beneficial for him.

Long term i see him as a forward who will spend chunks of time in the middle. Once he gets to about 50-60 games i think he will start to grab games by the scruff of the neck & be a big factor in us winning games.

F'scary
18-05-2014, 03:27 PM
I just see Luke Hodge mark 2. From his demeanour to his size and style of play. Could end up playing mid, back or forward depending on team needs. Long, long way to go of course. Hopefully he becomes a mid as he is a good user and breaks the lines.

I'm really pleased with his year so far, had me worried a little early on but he has got better as the year goes on.

Playing him away from the goals seems to have taken the pressure off and as he gets fitter he will only get better.

I see a bit of Goddard about him.

+1 both comparisons.

Interesting, when he first started, some of us were going for Stevie J, God & Plugger.

Scorlibo
18-05-2014, 08:42 PM
+1 both comparisons.

Interesting, when he first started, some of us were going for Stevie J, God & Plugger.

I see Dustin Martin, but with less natural ball-winning ability and a better work ethic.

1eyedog
19-05-2014, 01:01 AM
Agreed.

Signs since he has moved up the field have been very encouraging. I have been pretty impressed with his efforts through the middle of the ground on occasion, and as a defender. He generally uses the ball well, but it's his composure that has stood out - he's also got some evasive skills coupled with his natural aggression.

I still think he will be a genuine star of the competition provided he works hard.

Agreed. He's seldom rushed and hangs on to the ball a bit longer than your average player to give him time to make the right decision.

1eyedog
19-05-2014, 01:02 AM
Agreed.

Agreed. He's seldom rushed and hangs on to the ball a bit longer than your average player which gives him time to make the right decision.

jeemak
19-05-2014, 04:05 AM
Midfield and half forward will be his to own. Players that can keep their cool in the middle of the ground and use it well are good, but those who can do that and also be dangerous forward are the most valuable players in the game.

The move back has been good for him for many reasons, but none more so than it's exposed serious weaknesses in the odd arial contest due to positioning issues he has at this point. As a natural forward, he'll learn quickly and become a better forward as a result.

I'm satisfied with his development to an extent, though I think he really needs to make sure basic skills are concentrated on and not taken for granted on game day. The good players always take care of these basics first and foremost. Stevie J. is a one off, who's lucky he's been playing for Geelong rather than Richmond these past ten years. Most players aren't that fortunate.

SonofScray
19-05-2014, 09:13 AM
The most pleasing thing about Stringer is that no matter what role he is in, he wants the footy. He has big league swagger. It has contributed to both his best and worst moments in senior footy to date, that fend off to Chappy and gallop through the middle and a handful of ripping goals the highlights. The lazy effort, set shot from the boundary a low light.

The rest is what you'd expect from a kid playing all over the ground, when he is most likely a natural forward with enough talent to exert influence through the middle as well. You'd love him to be able to compete a bit better as a backman as well, given our current needs but that is a tough gig for a guy with a bit of that cocky flair you only ever get in natural forwards.

I'd hope he can hit the scoreboard more often, with great efficiency over the rest of the season. When forward I want him playing in front and moving to the footy, not looking for the cheap kick over the top every time. Just generally announcing to his team mates that if you give him the ball, good things will happen.

Ozza
19-05-2014, 10:32 AM
Think long term he will be dangerous forward - but am really pleased with how he is being developed this season.
Its easy to forget how young he is, possibly due to his frame being fairly sturdy, but he is only 15-20 games in and started from a long way back body-wise.

I think the reviews of his Adelaide game are pretty harsh. He got isolated a couple of times against a seasoned campaigner (Pods) who is significantly bigger than him and 10+ years older - and had a couple kicked on him. Plenty of good players have had Pods kick goals on them before, particularly in 1 on 1 situations - and it was Stringer's first game in defence.

Later in that game he went forward and looked dangerous.

Given the injuries to Dickson, and possibly Williams - and Jones' being suspended - the Gold Coast match might be appropriate for him to go forward.

LostDoggy
22-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Did anyone else hear Macca's presser today?

One reporter asked about Stringer and how he apparently stated at the start of the year that he would like to get some midfield game time.

Macca's response was "Did he say that?, he needs to work on his fitness first" the way he said it was interesting. I could be reading into it all wrong, but I have a feeling he has had workds with him about getting haead of himself.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-05-2014, 06:04 PM
Did anyone else hear Macca's presser today?

One reporter asked about Stringer and how he apparently stated at the start of the year that he would like to get some midfield game time.

Macca's response was "Did he say that?, he needs to work on his fitness first" the way he said it was interesting. I could be reading into it all wrong, but I have a feeling he has had workds with him about getting haead of himself.

It did sound a little like that.

I thought Jake was a bit lazy early in the season and wasn't doing the basics well. Since he has been moved up the field, he's been able to execute the basics, and slowly we're seeing his natural talent shine through.

Nothing in it. He has a lot to learn, but as Macca has said, he will become a very good player.

jeemak
24-05-2014, 03:25 AM
Just watched the press conference from Bmac, and the Stringer comment was in answer to a fairly loaded question and follow up by the journo who asked it. There wasn't any grace given to context at all.

I mean really, Jake Stringer earlier in the year said he wants to play more midfiled........and that's it.

Bmac's answer was good though, ultimately he praised him.

Agree with TBB. Stringer is forced to do the basics well when playing back as the consequences are much more negative from a perception point of view if he doesn't.

jeemak
24-05-2014, 03:35 AM
As an aside, I'm really happy we have a coach that respects journalists, or anyone who is commenting on the game. I look at Mick Maltwanker and shudder at the way he behaves during press conferences. He's such a Maltwanker.

westdog54
24-05-2014, 08:50 AM
As an aside, I'm really happy we have a coach that respects journalists, or anyone who is commenting on the game. I look at Mick Maltwanker and shudder at the way he behaves during press conferences. He's such a Maltwanker.

LOL. Maltwanker.

Saw the presser as well. Thought Macca handled the question superbly. Made it clear that he'll decide where Hake pays and that he'll have to earn a run in the midfield.

bornadog
24-05-2014, 10:32 AM

He is not a nice person.

Mantis
24-05-2014, 10:54 AM
He is not a nice person.

Why do you say that?

bornadog
24-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Why do you say that?

Its a perception. Nice people don't act the way he does.

LostDoggy
26-05-2014, 12:01 AM
Why do you say that?

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-05-2014, 09:59 PM
He is not a nice person.

A disappointing comment. How well do you know Michael Malthouse? Malthouse managed to turn the WB into a competitive unit where he learned his coaching craft and has been very successful over a long period of time.

SonofScray
26-05-2014, 10:07 PM
I want to see Stringer back up front, I think.

I understand the reasons why we might want to use him down back but I just don't want him to lose that big league swagger he came into the team with. I want him to be a real leader up forward and show us the true value and joy a goal can bring. Goals are something we undervalue at Footscray.

bornadog
26-05-2014, 11:11 PM
A disappointing comment. How well do you know Michael Malthouse? Malthouse managed to turn the WB into a competitive unit where he learned his coaching craft and has been very successful over a long period of time.

and bailed out when the going got tough.

Sorry NBP, don't like the man, maybe he is a good coach but still don't like him.

bornadog
26-05-2014, 11:12 PM

I understand the reasons why we might want to use him down back but I just don't want him to lose that big league swagger he came into the team with. I want him to be a real leader up forward and show us the true value and joy a goal can bring. Goals are something we undervalue at Footscray.

Nothing wrong with learning some defensive skills. He will be back forward in the future.

wimberga
27-05-2014, 11:09 AM

I second this SonofScray. Yes there is no harm in having him learn in other positions, but we just have so few players up forward with a bit of something different (particularly when Hunter and Grant aren't playing) that Jake offers more value up there for mine.

We don't have many players that do have that big "I'm the man, kick it to me and I'll do it" swagger, but Jake does and I too am a little fearful of him losing some of this by playing down back.

People compare stringer to a Luke Hodge or a Brendan Goddard in that he can play anywhere and influence the game. Others like Cam Mooney have likened him to Mark Ricciuto in that he wants to make sure others know he is there and genuinely enjoys hurting the opposition. They all might be apt in some ways, but I personally see a bit of Tex Walker in Stringer. They are of comparable builds, both country lads and both enjoy that "I'm the man" swagger previously spoken about. In a team devoid of this type, Jake could be our Tex and that's why I want to see him moved back up front.

azabob
27-05-2014, 11:17 AM
We don't have many players that do have that big "I'm the man, kick it to me and I'll do it" swagger, but Jake does and I too am a little fearful of him losing some of this by playing down back.

Could that be the reason why he is down back?

wimberga
27-05-2014, 11:45 AM
Could that be the reason why he is down back?

It probably is one of them, there may be a couple more too. But in my opinion we as a team, and good forwards,need that kind of confidence in the forward-line. His teammates will go elsewhere if hes letting them down and I feel like if he's to become the player we all want him too, he needs to be the man.

What are your thoughts?

always right
27-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Just because he's playing down back doesn't mean Macca sees him as a defender. All about learning the game and becoming a more effective forward when he moves back there.

bornadog
27-05-2014, 12:09 PM
Just because he's playing down back doesn't mean Macca sees him as a defender. All about learning the game and becoming a more effective forward when he moves back there.
Cameron Mooney has mentioned this a number of times

azabob
27-05-2014, 12:12 PM
It probably is one of them, there may be a couple more too. But in my opinion we as a team, and good forwards,need that kind of confidence in the forward-line. His teammates will go elsewhere if hes letting them down and I feel like if he's to become the player we all want him too, he needs to be the man.

What are your thoughts?

I totally agree - I like he has the swagger, I also like that Hunter has it also. Perhaps at this young age they may have a bit much swagger considering their on field acheivements to date.

I think it is time to play him forward - if not this week, definetly next week against Brisbane.

Twodogs
27-05-2014, 04:10 PM
I totally agree - I like he has the swagger, I also like that Hunter has it also. Perhaps at this young age they may have a bit much swagger considering their on field acheivements to date.

I think it is time to play him forward - if not this week, definetly next week against Brisbane.

I'd go as far as to say maybe not this week. He mightn't see the ball.

bornadog
27-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Jake adding strings to his bow

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Images/325529-tlsnewsportrait.jpg
Jake Stringer of the Bulldogs handballs during the 2014 AFL round 07 match between the Essendon Bombers and the Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium, Melbourne on May 03, 2014. (Photo: Darrian Traynor/AFL Media)

HE'S been the Western Bulldogs' swingman this season but Jake Stringer has his eye on a move to the midfield in the future.
The pick No.5 in the 2012 NAB AFL Draft, has played every game in season 2014, having started forward and then moved to defence in the past month.

Coach Brendan McCartney said the 20-year-old needed to improve his fitness first before a move on-ball is even considered.
"He'll get that [midfield position] when he gets a bit fitter, and we'll decide that at the right time," McCartney said last week.
"He'll play probably back for a while, he's making a bit of progress there. The end result is he's going to be a pretty good player.
"He's like all young people, he's got a bit to work on. This game challenges everyone and in particular it challenges young people to adapt and adjust to the game."

Stringer has shown his ability to rise to the challenge and adapt this season and is relishing his new role in defence with Dale Morris and Jordan Roughead teaching him the tricks of the trade.
"At the minute I'm happy playing as a forward and as a backman, but hopefully in the coming years I can move into pinch hitting in the midfield," Stringer told the AFL Record.

"I've learnt all the little tricks you need as a defender. Where to stand, reading the ball flight and all that type of stuff. Having Dale and Jordan there has been good. It has been a challenge, but I've enjoyed it.
"It's just being a good change up. You do get sick of playing in the same position week-in and week-out so it's been good being able to do both."

Doc26
27-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Its a perception. Nice people don't act the way he does.

I realise your perception is unlikely to shift but with Mick it's largely to do with whether trust and a level of respect has been established. Once established he's not hard to like and get caught up in his vision to excel.

Maddog37
27-05-2014, 09:56 PM
That is fair enough but to weigh and measure people against your own set of ideals and then treat them poorly when they do not suit your view is not a very nice trait.

LostDoggy
27-05-2014, 11:26 PM
That would make him a good coach, not a good person.

Personally, I think he's a deadset prick of a bloke.

Yes! Buddy has the same swagger.

jeemak
28-05-2014, 12:52 AM
I realise your perception is unlikely to shift but with Mick it's largely to do with whether trust and a level of respect has been established. Once established he's not hard to like and get caught up in his vision to excel.

Considering I almost started this off track component of the thread, I should probably elaborate on my initial post.

Mick treats people like crap. He doesn't need to, but he does. He feels he is often taken out of context or not represented the way he should be if given the chance to explain himself. However, he makes no excuses for not allowing the same concession for those that fall under his command, or those that work with him and those who work in the media with him (when he isn't coaching) and those who don't.

I don't really care whether he was good for us at one time in our history, and not so good for us in another time in our history. The fact is he doesn't provide people with the same level of respect he commands from them. The way he goes about dealing with people is the way self-entitled elitists go about dealing with people.

Just my two cents. Sorry for the thread derail.

Stringer needs to keep working hard and doing the basics right. I read in the article above almost a tell in his personality (or as much as you can glean from an article), where he said he'd learnt what he can from a defensive viewpoint during his time in defence with guys like Morris and Roughead helping him out. I hope he understands that even the best defenders can't stop learning, and that only a few weeks in he still has a lot to learn in his role as a defender.

Doc26
28-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Considering I almost started this off track component of the thread, I should probably elaborate on my initial post.

Mick treats people like crap. He doesn't need to, but he does. He feels he is often taken out of context or not represented the way he should be if given the chance to explain himself. However, he makes no excuses for not allowing the same concession for those that fall under his command, or those that work with him and those who work in the media with him (when he isn't coaching) and those who don't.

I don't really care whether he was good for us at one time in our history, and not so good for us in another time in our history. The fact is he doesn't provide people with the same level of respect he commands from them. The way he goes about dealing with people is the way self-entitled elitists go about dealing with people.

Just my two cents. Sorry for the thread derail..

So from your experience, who other than those that you have observed in his dealings within the media, does he regularly treat like crap ? I would argue that he does have some issues with a number who are represented in the AFL media circles although I would contest that this doesn't extend to everyone.

bornadog
28-05-2014, 01:19 PM
So from your experience, who other than those that you have observed in his dealings within the media, does he regularly treat like crap ? I would argue that he does have some issues with a number who are represented in the AFL media circles although I would contest that this doesn't extend to everyone.

Doc you may know him personally, I don't know for sure, but his public perception is grumpy old man.

Back in the 1980's we were playing at the MCG, it was around 12pm and I was walking along the bottom of the Southern stand with a mate. We were obviously Bulldog fans and here was Mick walking towards us. There were not many people around, we said hello and he didn't even both responding and just kept walking.

Not saying this incident made me decide my view, but typifies what he is like.

Doc26
28-05-2014, 04:37 PM
Doc you may know him personally, I don't know for sure, but his public perception is grumpy old man.

Back in the 1980's we were playing at the MCG, it was around 12pm and I was walking along the bottom of the Southern stand with a mate. We were obviously Bulldog fans and here was Mick walking towards us. There were not many people around, we said hello and he didn't even both responding and just kept walking.

Not saying this incident made me decide my view, but typifies what he is like.

BD, I am jumping to his defense somewhat as having worked alongside Mick for a number of years I was fortunate enough to get to know him more broadly and see him in a different light to that portrayed via his media relations where it's fair to say is more what the gen. publics view of him would be shaped from. What I'm endeavouring to articulate is that the general view of Mick from within Club circles, officials to his players, is a different view to the publics perception formed largely from his at times frosty relationship with the media.

bornadog
28-05-2014, 05:09 PM
BD, I am jumping to his defense somewhat as having worked alongside Mick for a number of years I was fortunate enough to get to know him more broadly and see him in a different light to that portrayed via his media relations where it's fair to say is more what the gen. publics view of him would be shaped from. What I'm endeavouring to articulate is that the general view of Mick from within Club circles, officials to his players, is a different view to the publics perception formed largely from his at times frosty relationship with the media.

Thanks for the insight.

always right
28-05-2014, 06:11 PM
So perhaps we should qualify some of the negative statements about Mick. He's an absolute prick of a bloke at press conferences.

wimberga
28-05-2014, 06:15 PM
Stringer needs to keep working hard and doing the basics right. I read in the article above almost a tell in his personality (or as much as you can glean from an article), where he said he'd learnt what he can from a defensive viewpoint during his time in defence with guys like Morris and Roughead helping him out. I hope he understands that even the best defenders can't stop learning, and that only a few weeks in he still has a lot to learn in his role as a defender.

I noticed that a little as well...from the way he said it definitely sounds like he thinks he knows what he needs to know and wants to move elsewhere. I don't mind stringer spending some time down back in terms of further developing, or perhaps as a swingman type, but I don't want to necessarily see him pigeonholed down back all game. We know Macca isn't one to change too many things up on Gameday so if its back or forward for Jake, well I hope its forward.

azabob
28-05-2014, 07:09 PM

Do you have an insite as to why he looks angry more often than not? Surely its hard work and tiring to appear grumpy all the time!

Doc26 - genuine question, I have asked.

Doc26
28-05-2014, 08:16 PM
Do you have an insite as to why he looks angry more often than not? Surely its hard work and tiring to appear grumpy all the time!

Doc26 - genuine question, I have asked.

Not sure I can answer specifically for Mick, it's been some time now since I had relations with him, although I do ask myself a similar question with the level of frustration I often feel within my own workplace and with people I find challenging to deal with and yet needing to keep it professional. He may have just hit a wall and grown too tired with how he should respond to the media and simply can't find a way through it. I don't wish to be an apologist for Mick, I don't like the look of it either but we're not perfect. I just wanted to share from my own experience that there is another side to him.

bulldogtragic
28-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Not sure I can answer specifically for Mick, it's been some time now since I had relations with him, although I do ask myself a similar question with the level of frustration I often feel within my own workplace and with people I find challenging to deal and yet needing to keep it professional. He may have just hit a wall and grown too tired with how he should respond to the media and simply can't find a way through it. I don't wish to be an apologist for Mick, I don't like the look of it either but we're not perfect.

As a complete distraction... Having read the entire 'Starr Report' at the time into Bill Clinton, I still find the word 'relations' amusing.

Scorlibo
28-05-2014, 08:27 PM

That doesn't surprise me, Doc26. Everyone is kind to those they are close with, but what makes DHs DHs is that they treat those they don't have much to do with like absolute garbage - and that's what Mick does. Complete loser in my opinion.

Doc26
28-05-2014, 08:51 PM
That doesn't surprise me, Doc26. Everyone is kind to those they are close with, but what makes DHs DHs is that they treat those they don't have much to do with like absolute garbage - and that's what Mick does. Complete loser in my opinion.

That would be like members on this forum who show, or convey through the harshness of their words, disrespect to other members posting up opinions that might differ from their own beliefs or opinions. Complete losers in your opinion ?

Scorlibo
28-05-2014, 11:17 PM
That would be like members on this forum who show, or convey through the harshness of their words, disrespect to other members posting up opinions that might differ from their own beliefs or opinions. Complete losers in your opinion ?

Rudeness to the extent shown by Mick is very rare on this forum.

westdog54
01-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Just watched a video on the club website of the post game celebrations and the singing of the song.

The thing that stood out for me was watching Jake, as he handed his football to a young fan, actually take a minute to stop, talk to the kid and do it all with a smile on his face.

Its a far cry from the Jake 'Do you know who I am?' Stringer persona that Brian Taylor has tried to heap onto him and a great sign that our future as a club is in very good hands.

Ghost Dog
01-07-2014, 04:09 PM
Brian Taylor would know something about being egocentric I guess. Annoying.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-07-2014, 04:40 PM
It was a very encouraging game from Stringer that has been overlooked by Bonti's incredible efforts late.

Extremely excited about Jake's prospects for the future. Love that he has re-found that aggression and purpose in his game - earlier in the year he simply wasn't working hard enough and was playing reactive footy. Great to see him get back to what he can do best.

bornadog
01-07-2014, 06:08 PM
It was a very encouraging game from Stringer that has been overlooked by Bonti's incredible efforts late.

Extremely excited about Jake's prospects for the future. Love that he has re-found that aggression and purpose in his game - earlier in the year he simply wasn't working hard enough and was playing reactive footy. Great to see him get back to what he can do best.

Do you think he lacked abit of confidence at the start of the year? The stint at VFL certainly helped him.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-07-2014, 07:26 PM
Do you think he lacked abit of confidence at the start of the year? The stint at VFL certainly helped him.

I think a number of things probably contributed to his poor start.

1. He's still so young and inexperienced, particularly given we were playing him as a forward only. Tough gig.
2. He's now a young father - that would take adjustment for the most prepared of athletes, let alone a kid.
3. He is used to relying on sheer talent. At AFL level, work rate comes first - his talent can then shine thereafter which it now has.

I was never worried about Jake. It was/is always going to take him a little longer given his circumstances, but I can't wait for the end result.

F'scary
01-07-2014, 09:00 PM
I'm still hoping he makes it as a forward.

SonofScray
01-07-2014, 10:11 PM
We're seeing the return of his Big League Swagger. Its being applied to the right aspects of the game now as well, he sets out to physically dominate the opposition and take responsibility with the ball inside 50 for hitting the scoreboard. His recent VFL form and Sunday's effort spoke to his team mates, his actions said "I'm working hard, give me the ball, good things will happen." When he didn't get given the ball, he went and got it. Super pleasing.

Twodogs
02-07-2014, 01:12 AM
He would never have chased Bale earlier in the season.

Remi Moses
02-07-2014, 03:42 AM
Great to see the bloke play with big league swaggerand if his effort levels are up ,he is dangerous .

LostDoggy
02-07-2014, 09:53 AM
How good was it in the last quarter when he charged at a pack containing about 3 Melbourne defenders, he had no hope of marking the ball but just abolsutely smashed the pack to pieces. Didn't result in a goal but the intention was brilliant.

Nuggety Back Pocket
02-07-2014, 11:01 AM

A lack of confidence can be a bad thing and you are probably right. His good performance against Melbourne followed two good games in the VFL. I felt he turned the corner against Melbourne in his best performance for the Club. Jake's fitness is a lot better and he is quick off the mark. You would hope that he might solve one of our key forward spots at FF as he showed at the weekend.

Mofra
02-07-2014, 11:04 AM
If Stringer lacks anything, confidence certainly isn't it.

Bulldog Joe
02-07-2014, 11:54 AM
If Stringer lacks anything, confidence certainly isn't it.

Don't confuse confidence with the swagger.

Lots of individuals in all fields can appear confident to the point of arrogance, but it is mostly pretend confidence.

Stringer's early games displayed a real shortage of confidence in execution. Sunday he attacked everything with confidence.

jeemak
02-07-2014, 12:05 PM
I dislike the Big League Swagger tag to be honest. Sounds wankish and very BT, who is a wanker.

Mofra
02-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Don't confuse confidence with the swagger.
I'm not.

Stringer's confidence levels, if anything, swing too hard the other way. He certainly doesn't lack confidence.

doggies ftw
03-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Could he be the full forward we desperately need? People say he's too short to be a modern FF, but I don't really buy that. Would you call Redpath too short to be a FF in the AFL? Nope, and he's what 3cm taller, really think about how much 3 cm is. I just can't see how that would make a difference, its all about how they play. Macrae/Grant on the other hand are the same size as Stringer but obviously will never be KPFs because they don't play like KPFs.

I think if we focused Jake solely on that role he could make it, but I still feel he will be much better used when he can be a midfielder in the Patty Dangerfield mould. Skilled, fast and strong. Rest him forward and he can kick a couple a game as well. Thats where he will play his best footy imo.

boydogs
03-07-2014, 09:00 PM
I think if we focused Jake solely on that role he could make it, but I still feel he will be much better used when he can be a midfielder in the Patty Dangerfield mould. Skilled, fast and strong. Rest him forward and he can kick a couple a game as well. Thats where he will play his best footy imo.

I still see him as a Pavlich, can go into the middle but is better up forward. They are both 192cm and no-one questions Pavlich's ability to play any role in the forward line

The bulldog tragician
03-07-2014, 09:08 PM
I don't want any of our players to be arrogant, but we have lacked an extrovert, or someone who looks like he enjoys the big stage and big moment. This was something Eade was very surprised by when he came to our club - how quiet most of our guys were. for that reason I really like Jake's air of confidence, we don't want to break that down, just harness it, and we saw that on Sunday. His best game, but he should have kicked more, that kicking style has become much more erratic yet was a feature of his first games.

westdog54
10-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Bump.

Just had to laugh at some of the stuff he pulled out today. Most confident second year player I've ever seen.

He was a bargain at pick 5.

F'scary
10-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Sensational forward. Jake "Mr Goals of Year" Stringer.

Twodogs
10-08-2014, 08:01 PM
He was really good today. Looking forward to seeing him line up in a forward line with a big forward. He will be much more effective.

Remi Moses
10-08-2014, 08:04 PM
He seems to have gathered some pace.
Jake is an absolute headache now and will be for a long period.

comrade
10-08-2014, 08:08 PM
He just gets the ball, says 'watch this' and then does some sort of magic dub step before kicking a ridiculous goal.

Again and again.

Can't wait until he's even fitter after another pre season.

Twodogs
10-08-2014, 08:51 PM
He seems to have gathered some pace.
Jake is an absolute headache now and will be for a long period.

I don't think that he's gathered more pace, it's more that he runs to better places.

F'scary
10-08-2014, 09:18 PM
He is that rare type of player who can sell memberships off his own exploits. One of those players for whom neutral supporters will pay the entrance fee just to see him play. Jake "Mr Bums-on-seats" Stringer. Expect to see him featured prominently in next season's membership promotions.

Bumper Bulldogs
10-08-2014, 09:34 PM
He is that rare type of player who can sell memberships off his own exploits. One of those players for whom neutral supporters will pay the entrance fee just to see him play. Jake "Mr Bums-on-seats" Stringer. Expect to see him featured prominently in next season's membership promotions.
I hope so as he just has that "get out of my way" attitude

I know some on here were saying he wants to play midfield but boy he is looking dangerous playing forward. Tough one for the MC as he could be anything.

Hotdog60
10-08-2014, 11:09 PM
It was good to engage the fans on the fence. I'm sure they enjoyed it.:D

Remi Moses
10-08-2014, 11:45 PM
To think someone said he was a wasted pick!
Who said that?;)

Twodogs
11-08-2014, 12:14 AM

Yep, agree with what you say there. He is just the type of player that gets fans through the gates. We haven't had one of those for quite a while.

Webby
11-08-2014, 12:41 AM
To think someone said he was a wasted pick!
Who said that?;)

Looking at our last three top 6 picks:
Bontempelli, Stringer & Macrae

And they sure trump Farren Ray, Tom Williams, Jarrad Grant and Tim Walsh!!
To be fair, Ray's a 200+ AFL player, but there's been a clear improvement in our drafting in recent times...

bulldogtragic
11-08-2014, 12:41 AM
Yep, agree with what you say there. He is just the type of player that gets fans through the gates. We haven't had one of those for quite a while.

Peter Street retirement coincided with a membership drop.

Sedat
11-08-2014, 01:07 AM
Frightening how good he can possibly become in another 2-3 years with a full tank. Has swagger, influences contests, is dangerous in the air and on the ground and has a hunger to compete and hurt. You have to say BMac has handled him brilliantly since being drafted.

Remi Moses
11-08-2014, 02:31 AM

Ahh made me chuckle

westdog54
11-08-2014, 07:41 AM

LOL a little 'post hoc, ergo propter hoc' don't you think?

Between Dahl, Jake and Bontempelli we're going well for young poster boys.

soupman
11-08-2014, 08:30 AM
Looking at our last three top 6 picks:
Bontempelli, Stringer & Macrae

And they sure trump Farren Ray, Tom Williams, Jarrad Grant and Tim Walsh!!
To be fair, Ray's a 200+ AFL player, but there's been a clear improvement in our drafting in recent times...

To be even more fair, both the Ray and Walsh drafts were shithouse.

bornadog
11-08-2014, 09:35 AM

Sorry to go off topic here, did anyone see Peter rucking for Vic Police against The Recruits?

LostDoggy
11-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Serious man-crush on Jake. May need a AVO.

LostDoggy
11-08-2014, 10:14 AM
Jake has looks to have the confidence back that he was lacking earlier in the season and the swagger too.

Maddog37
11-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Looks comfy when down back too now. Still reminds me of Hodge with his persona.

dadsgirl16
11-08-2014, 10:52 AM
MUST get a rising star nomination this week MUST!!!

Sedat
11-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Looks comfy when down back too now. Still reminds me of Hodge with his persona.
Yep, he has looked completely natural playing the spare man in defence role when required.

Dancin' Douggy
11-08-2014, 12:35 PM
I've never been so excited about a player. NEVER.
Jake will be a colossus for us.

Go_Dogs
11-08-2014, 01:03 PM
I personally can't wait till he can play midfield. His pace off the first few steps is looking much better, he can develop into a true power midfielder who kicks 30 goals a year too. I'd put him with Griff next pre-season, and say, emulate him.

Murphy'sLore
11-08-2014, 01:22 PM
He is just so much fun to watch!

lemmon
11-08-2014, 01:55 PM
I personally can't wait till he can play midfield. His pace off the first few steps is looking much better, he can develop into a true power midfielder who kicks 30 goals a year too. I'd put him with Griff next pre-season, and say, emulate him.
This is what I see, he's kicking goals so a few are saying that he's a key forward but I think he's more early seasons Garry Ablett Jnr than Matthew Pavlich. I'm not saying he'll reach the levels or style of Gazza but he does some mercurial things, we get a glimpse of his one on one ability and his footy sense in the same way that Ablett Jnr hinted at the talent he had before exploding. You put good players forward and they will kick goals, it doesn't necessarily mean it's their best spot. I still see an excellent big bodied mid with pace and skill rather than a forward target.

BornInDroopSt'54
11-08-2014, 02:13 PM

grif is playing the bash and crash role now and his powerhouse legs are used for this more so than his explosive speed. Jake could do the bash, crash and burst so could we see more of Griff's explosiveness?

bornadog
11-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Two Goals of the Year Nominations

http://youtu.be/-gjQ7uXlcOY

Go_Dogs
11-08-2014, 03:54 PM
grif is playing the bash and crash role now and his powerhouse legs are used for this more so than his explosive speed. Jake could do the bash, crash and burst so could we see more of Griff's explosiveness?

Definitely. Jake can become a similar player to the role plays the last few years. One comparison I haven't seen mentioned, but struck me yesterday, was Dangerfield.

His strength in the contest would be huge through the middle and he'll really compliment our other mids.

Dancin' Douggy
11-08-2014, 03:59 PM
This is what I see, he's kicking goals so a few are saying that he's a key forward but I think he's more early seasons Garry Ablett Jnr than Matthew Pavlich. I'm not saying he'll reach the levels or style of Gazza but he does some mercurial things, we get a glimpse of his one on one ability and his footy sense in the same way that Ablett Jnr hinted at the talent he had before exploding. You put good players forward and they will kick goals, it doesn't necessarily mean it's their best spot. I still see an excellent big bodied mid with pace and skill rather than a forward target.

I see more of a comparison to Gablett SENIOR! The combination of raw power and party tricks.

ratsmac
11-08-2014, 07:41 PM
Up and coming freaks will be likened to Jake Stringer before to long!

When he busted past those 2 Stkilda players, I'm not 100% sure but I think I felt some movement.

Maddog37
11-08-2014, 07:55 PM
I think the most exciting part was not that he did it but that he actually had the audacity to even try it.

1eyedog
11-08-2014, 08:06 PM
Up and coming freaks will be likened to Jake Stringer before to long!

When he busted past those 2 Stkilda players, I'm not 100% sure but I think I felt some movement.

It was my first dance the jig moment all year.

craigsahibee
11-08-2014, 09:13 PM
rising star Round 20.

LostDoggy
11-08-2014, 09:13 PM
Finally got his RS nomination, if he finishes with a rush he could win the thing!

bulldogtragic
11-08-2014, 09:14 PM
Can the RS get split between our 3 nominations maybe???

Go_Dogs
11-08-2014, 10:18 PM
I think the most exciting part was not that he did it but that he actually had the audacity to even try it.

Jake 'The Big Show' Stringer!

The Crameri article in the articles forum about him was quite good, sums up the audacity component nicely.

westdog54
11-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Two Goals of the Year Nominations

http://youtu.be/-gjQ7uXlcOY

Being nominated for GOTY twice from the one match would be pretty much unheard of wouldn't it?

LostDoggy
11-08-2014, 10:42 PM
Being nominated for GOTY twice from the one match would be pretty much unheard of wouldn't it?

And another 2 weeks ago! Dangerfield and Wingard seem to get nominated a bit.

Twodogs
12-08-2014, 12:31 AM

I remember a mark and goal nomination from the same player in the one match (same piece of play) but not two GOTY nominations in the one match by one player.

chef
12-08-2014, 07:05 AM
About time. Well done Jake.

ReLoad
12-08-2014, 08:55 AM
Stringybean reminds me a lot of Steve J down at Geelong, I have a feeling in a couple of years stringer is going to make people look very stupid on the field.

Can't wait for him to develop his physical capabilities, just plain scary!

Happy days ahead

Greystache
12-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Since getting his spot back in the seniors in round 15 Stringer has kicked 16 goals... 1 less than Buddy Franklin

bulldogtragic
12-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Since getting his spot back in the seniors in round 15 Stringer has kicked 16 goals... 1 less than Buddy Franklin

His accuracy is great too.

stefoid
12-08-2014, 03:11 PM

I think the little kid from his first goal though Jake was coming over the fence :)

Nice to see Crameri involved in Stringers GOTY and Bonts GOTY

LostDoggy
12-08-2014, 03:18 PM

Great stat.

Of the 20 Goals Stringer has kicked so far this year, I wonder how many have been from set shots? I can only recall 2 or 3...

bornadog
12-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Some great highlights of Stringer:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2014-08-11/stringers-highlights-reel

Flamethrower
12-08-2014, 04:12 PM
Knew this kid was special...how good have our last 2 drafts been.

Wonder if Jake knows anything about theoretical physics? My nickname for him is String Theory.

always right
12-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Great stat.

Of the 20 Goals Stringer has kicked so far this year, I wonder how many have been from set shots? I can only recall 2 or 3...

When he first started his set shots from distance were impressive. It's actually one part of his game that has regressed even though he doesn't appear to take too many of late.

bornadog
12-08-2014, 04:41 PM
When he first started his set shots from distance were impressive. It's actually one part of his game that has regressed even though he doesn't appear to take too many of late.

Its all in the head, because he thinks too much about the shot, whereas when he just plays naturally - well he is a freak. He will improve in time with set shots as he gets mentally tougher.

Twodogs
12-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Some great highlights of Stringer:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2014-08-11/stringers-highlights-reel

Thanks BAD. Some real highlights.

mighty_west
12-08-2014, 06:20 PM

I asked Jordan Roughead last season if he was to choose one of his team mates to kick for goal after the siren to win a game. Without hesitation he said Stringer.

bornadog
12-08-2014, 11:08 PM
Worth listening to this interview.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2014-08-11/stringer-excited-on-field-and-off

westdog54
13-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Worth listening to this interview.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2014-08-11/stringer-excited-on-field-and-off

Thanks for putting that up BAD. Glad I took the 3 minutes to listen.

Dancin' Douggy
13-08-2014, 10:40 PM
I remember well the build up to that draft. I was just so desperate for us to take Stringer.
There were some fluff pieces saying that Geelong would take him with pick 18 or something like that.
Or Richmond were 'set to swoop' with pick nine or whatever....

But I watched his highlight reels as a junior and just thought to myself.......I've never seen anything like this in such a young player. When his name was called out I remember a loud YYYEEESSS!!! And a little dance and fist pump.

My first thought was he was a blend of Dustin Martin and Pavlich. Not a bad combo.
Then I started thinking well.... theres a bit of Glen Archer in there.... and a hint of Gary Ablett senior.......

So now I'm thinking he's Leigh Matthews crossed with Gary Ablett Sr.

I just think the sky's the limit for Stringer. Could be our greatest player ever....apologies to EJ...but..........

And I'm not a gusher. I think I'm generally rather patient and reserved in these matters.

But Stringer is something off the absolute top top shelf.

Ghost Dog
13-08-2014, 10:55 PM
He absolutely knows what he wants and his body, skills, attitude and training are all starting to align to create a very competitive beast. His highlights are a delight because of the small acts which round out his game. There might be equally skilled players going around but not many with quite the country Victorian hunger and swagger.

Dancin' Douggy
13-08-2014, 11:02 PM
He absolutely knows what he wants and his body, skills, attitude and training are all starting to align to create a very competitive beast. His highlights are a delight because of the small acts which round out his game. There might be equally skilled players going around but not many with quite the country Victorian hunger and swagger.
Yes. His body CAN do what he thinks it can.

One of his less celebrated goals from last week was the one where he was running into the goal square with a St. Kilda player LITERALLY holding on to his foot for dear life. Like someone hanging on for dear life off another workman's boot, off the top of a skyscraper's scaffolding. But Jake just couldn't be stopped. By the time the umpire had awarded the free kick, he had already got his foot free and kicked the goal. I believe the leg that was being held on to was the one that he broke as well. So all good there.

always right
14-08-2014, 09:28 AM
He always keeps his feet in a contest...just like Murph. An invaluable trait.

LostDoggy
14-08-2014, 11:01 AM

I think this says it all. Hope he never loses it.

bornadog
16-08-2014, 11:37 AM
SEN interview: https://audioboo.fm/channels/2392468

LostDoggy
16-08-2014, 08:39 PM
Macca said at the lunch yesterday that Stringer has got to 15 % of his potential .... looking forward to the next 85% improvement

azabob
16-08-2014, 08:51 PM
Macca said at the lunch yesterday that Stringer has got to 15 % of his potential .... looking forward to the next 85% improvement

That is staggering. It is possible considering he has only done one full pre-seaon in the last four seasons. No wonder he looked unfit and labouring at times last year.

azabob
16-08-2014, 08:54 PM
SEN interview: https://audioboo.fm/channels/2392468

Thanks BAD. I'm normally across all audio that is available but missed this one.

Great little interview, great to see others have been staggered by how long it took for him to get the rising star nomination.

As Stringer develops the media will love him due to his knock about nature and ability to have a laugh.

bulldogtragic
16-08-2014, 09:15 PM

I'm usually skeptical with comments such as this (Clayton used to use these terms and look silly), but stuff it, by George if that's even close to what he's capable of then god damn!!

azabob
16-08-2014, 09:20 PM
I'm usually skeptical with comments such as this (Clayton used to use these terms and look silly), but stuff it, by George if that's even close to what he's capable of then god damn!!

Just out of interest BT when was the last time BMAC made an outlandish statement?

bulldogtragic
16-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Just out of interest BT when was the last time BMAC made an outlandish statement?

Witnesses at events reported at the end of last year that Macca said 'Howard would be a 100 game player for the dogs'. Beyond that, I haven't faulted him this year for his media or public comments.

azabob
16-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Witnesses at events reported at the end of last year that Macca said 'Howard would be a 100 game player for the dogs'. Beyond that, I haven't faulted him this year for his media or public comments.

Yeah good call - that is a touch out there - was he drinking?

It does show that their are two Brendan McCartney's and that he is more open at supporter functions with what he says and does, which is great and gives the supporters a reason to put their hand in their pocket to attend these events.

bulldogtragic
16-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Yeah good call - that is a touch out there - was he drinking?

It does show that their are two Brendan McCartney's and that he is more open at supporter functions with what he says and does, which is great and gives the supporters a reason to put their hand in their pocket to attend these events.

He was shitfaced quite obviously. :)

But your point is a very good one, which is the incentive to join the club and go to these events. I guess it's even broader in that many people can come onto WOOF and read about the comments our club leaders make, but too many of us don't share in conversations and engage as a poster/contributor enough. It would be awesome to see the 300 members we have on WOOF to be more regular contributors as it could just be me, but it seems most conversations lately are the 'usual suspects'. That said, it's always a pleasure bouncing ideas with you Aza. :)

bornadog
17-08-2014, 01:03 AM
He also said that for most of the young group.

SonofScray
17-08-2014, 09:17 AM
Jake is playing the sort of footy that drags people through the gate. Goals like his 2 goal of the week nominations last round are a huge element of what is best in footy. Add in other blokes taking screamers and a foundation across the squad for aggressive attack of the ball and man and we'll find ourselves falling in love with footy all over again.

Listen to the crowd audio of the goal where he punched through two Saint's defenders on a powerful gallop. The noise you hear is pure awe.

AndrewP6
21-08-2014, 10:38 PM
Jake and partner Abby have welcomed baby Milla into the world. A dad at 20. :eek:
https://twitter.com/jstringer9/status/502410301539909632

Hotdog60
21-08-2014, 10:45 PM
Well I hope Abby has her priorities right. Make sure Jake gets his sleep and is fit a firing for the footy.
He can do his father duties after footy season, us supporters come first.:D

Congratulations to them both.

Note to Jake: we need boys......

Remi Moses
21-08-2014, 11:00 PM
Congrats to Jake and Abbey and familes

Go_Dogs
21-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Congratulations to them, must be a relief the day (and bub) have finally arrived.

G-Mo77
21-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Congrats to them both!

Ozza
21-08-2014, 11:29 PM
Get started on a brother for Milla, Jakey!!!!!:D

The bulldog tragician
22-08-2014, 12:29 AM
It's an adorable photo. Much happiness to them all.

bornadog
22-08-2014, 09:58 AM
I can't believe at the age of 20 he and his partner are having a child.

I hope he has a great life (with the Bulldogs of course), and wish them both all the best.

LostDoggy
22-08-2014, 10:31 AM
Congrats Jake and his partner!

LostDoggy
22-08-2014, 10:44 AM
On ya Jake and Abbey, welcome to the Bulldog family Milla.

KT31
22-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Congrats to Jake and Abbey, hopefully all well and healthy.

PS: It's not totally wrong to be a little upset that they didn't have a boy is it ?:D

The bulldog tragician
22-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Congrats to Jake and Abbey, hopefully all well and healthy.

PS: It's not totally wrong to be a little upset that they didn't have a boy is it ?:D

The benefits of starting early - there's still time!

always right
22-08-2014, 11:19 AM
I'm a litle concerned.....I think I read Jake uttered the words "cue in the rack".

LostDoggy
22-08-2014, 11:52 AM
I'm a litle concerned.....I think I read Jake uttered the words "cue in the rack".

Cue in the rack - double entendre there

Bulldog4life
22-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Congrats to Jake & Abbey. Great news.

westdog54
22-08-2014, 02:44 PM
I can't believe at the age of 20 he and his partner are having a child.

I hope he has a great life (with the Bulldogs of course), and wish them both all the best.

They are definitely very young but I think being a father will do wonders for Jake as a person.

EasternWest
22-08-2014, 02:50 PM
They are definitely very young but I think being a father will do wonders for Jake as a person.

Tried to message you via PM, but your inbox is full. Did you delete my post?

F'scary
22-08-2014, 10:22 PM

The Freudian connotations of the metaphor, however, suggest otherwise.

Congrats to the young couple on the birth of their baby daughter.

EasternWest
29-08-2014, 10:56 PM

Tried to message you via PM, but your inbox is full. Did you delete my post?

Alright cool, thanks for getting back to me.

AndrewP6
28-12-2016, 01:41 AM
Just read on Instagram a post from Abbie, Jake's partner. They have been separated for 6 months, and whilst parenting the kids, are remaining separated for the foreseeable future. Goes a long way to explaining the drop off in Jake's form this year.

I'm clueless posting images here, so here's the text from the post:

abbgilmore It is with an absolutely broken and heavy heart that I share with you the news that for the last 6 months Jake and I have been separated. I know this may come as a shock to some of you as we've been parenting our girls as normal as possible in the hope things would improve. Unfortunately for myself, they've proven to get much worse. Honesty is something I preach and I'm not being true to myself if I'm living a lie to everyone. My family and friends included.
As I lay in bed writing this, my Milla girl is by my side giving me more strength from her little head on my chest than she will ever know. This is a journey I never thought I'd be on but I have two girls who look up to me everyday and a journey I'm going to eventually come out the other end of proud.
Thank you for all your support in the last 6 months. Without realising it, your comments have turned shitty days into slightly better ones. My strength also comes from all of you and what I've created here, so thank you. ❤️ The girls have had unconditional love from us both and will continue to get just that as we will still have so much to do with each other raising our two beautiful girls who may bring us closer together again one day down the track but just not for now.
Finally I would respectfully ask that Jake and I are given privacy in this difficult time. Thank you 🙏🏼😔

jeemak
28-12-2016, 02:00 AM
I couldn't imagine being in their shoes at their age dealing with that level of family and fame and pressure.

Keep perspective classy, reasoned, and keep an open mind is my view.

bulldogtragic
28-12-2016, 09:24 AM
I couldn't imagine being in their shoes at their age dealing with that level of family and fame and pressure.

Keep perspective classy, reasoned, and keep an open mind is my view.

Yep. Walk a mile in their shoes. Must be very tough going for all.

Remi Moses
28-12-2016, 10:10 AM
Having been there I feel for all concerned .
In particular being young parents .

1eyedog
28-12-2016, 10:58 AM
Tough being a young famous footballer. Jake has a new girlfriend I hear.

ledge
28-12-2016, 12:46 PM
And the last kid so young, I went through It with young kids .. My ex and I stayed good freinds and made sure the kids saw us get on ok and we always listened to the kids and made plans to suit them.
People might find this strange but this was 15 years ago and I still go to the Exs Christmas lunch.
They are the kids relatives as much as my family is ..
Sometimes it's better to part than the kids growing up seeing tension in the air everyday.
You don't have to live together to bring up good kids.
Mine have Grown up 20/24 now and the best and most respectful children.
From what I am seeing this could work out like mine if they don't get back together and that's a good thing If so.

Twodogs
28-12-2016, 01:07 PM
And the last kid so young, I went through It with young kids .. My ex and I stayed good freinds and made sure the kids saw us get on ok and we always listened to the kids and made plans to suit them.
People might find this strange but this was 15 years ago and I still go to the Exs Christmas lunch.
They are the kids relatives as much as my family is ..
Sometimes it's better to part than the kids growing up seeing tension in the air everyday.
You don't have to live together to bring up good kids.
Mine have Grown up 20/24 now and the best and most respectful children.
From what I am seeing this could work out like mine if they don't get back together and that's a good thing If so.

Yep. The hardest thing to do as a parent is say "this is about the kids, not me" and let them go. I did that but the kids moved back in with me a year or so later and I have raised the for the last ten years.

I love those kids so much.

chef
28-12-2016, 02:49 PM
Explains his struggles this season.

LostDoggy
28-12-2016, 03:19 PM
Explains his struggles this season.

Would have been tough, that stuff weighs heavy on the mind, at least he has had some time to readjust before the season starts. Ive said before we might see a different Jake next year, hopefully everything starts to fall into place for him and his family.

ledge
28-12-2016, 07:08 PM
Would have been tough, that stuff weighs heavy on the mind, at least he has had some time to readjust before the season starts. Ive said before we might see a different Jake next year, hopefully everything starts to fall into place for him and his family.
The one thing about being involved in a club is the support you get and no doubt with so many people involved in a club someone else would have been through it, he would have had plenty of people to talk to and help .
Sadly separation is very common now.

Twodogs
28-12-2016, 07:38 PM
The one thing about being involved in a club is the support you get and no doubt with so many people involved in a club someone else would have been through it, he would have had plenty of people to talk to and help .
Sadly separation is very common now.

In a way at least he has an ideal job to help cope with it. Lots of formal and informal advice. You could work out lots of frustration too.

Eastdog
29-12-2016, 08:13 PM
Certainly understandable on why he hasn't been in great form.

bornadog
30-12-2016, 12:40 AM
Tough being a young famous footballer. Jake has a new girlfriend I hear.

That was quick - explains everything

jeemak
30-12-2016, 01:00 AM

Does it really - a rumour of quality or otherwise, explains everything BAD?

The lives of the majority of adults young and old, and trust me, I'm as cynical towards just about anything as the most cynical person is, are complex.

bornadog
30-12-2016, 01:05 AM
Does it really - a rumour of quality or otherwise, explains everything BAD?

The lives of the majority of adults young and old, and trust me, I'm as cynical towards just about anything as the most cynical person is, are complex.

Just a guess, nothing more. Don't know anything about Jake's private life, and hope he sorts things out.

jeemak
30-12-2016, 01:29 AM
Just a guess, nothing more. Don't know anything about Jake's private life, and hope he sorts things out.

It's the holidays, perhaps we go a titch light.

I hope you and the BAD clan had a fantastic Christmas and are getting ready for a full on assault on another Bulldogs premiership.

bornadog
30-12-2016, 10:40 AM
It's the holidays, perhaps we go a titch light.

I hope you and the BAD clan had a fantastic Christmas and are getting ready for a full on assault on another Bulldogs premiership.

Thanks Jeemak, hope you have a great 2017 - let's catch up again during the season.

kruder
30-12-2016, 08:22 PM
Im always confused at why footballers get married and have kids so young doesn't make any sense in my book.

Twodogs
30-12-2016, 09:23 PM
Im always confused at why footballers get married and have kids so young doesn't make any sense in my book.

Same reason anyone else gets married too young and has kids I guess. I see your point, the same could be said of musicians and a lot of them marry young, but I think its a sense of security in a pretty tenuous world. Sure Jake has it all now but he knows it's only a leg break away from being all over. With that sort of insecurity I don't wonder that a larger proportion of footballers tend to marry earlier than most blokes.

I'm with you though. I'd be an ex-footballer before I considered marriage or a serious relationship. You have to be really selfish to be a good footballer for a start. A lot of traits we would consider character flaws in normal life are good things on the football field for one thing.

1eyedog
30-12-2016, 10:25 PM

Don't believe everything you hear though. I've only heard this and cannot verify through a reliable source.

Twodogs
30-12-2016, 11:47 PM
Don't believe everything you hear though. I've only heard this and cannot verify through a reliable source.

Everytime he is seen in the company of any young woman and it could be his lawyer, accountant, physiotherapist, mentor, friend the rumours will start.

1eyedog
31-12-2016, 09:23 AM
Everytime he is seen in the company of any young woman and it could be his lawyer, accountant, physiotherapist, mentor, friend the rumours will start.

Agreed.

ledge
31-12-2016, 12:36 PM
Who cares .. If they have split he or her can see whoever they like.
If they weren't split it would be news.

Sedat
31-12-2016, 12:56 PM
Don't really understand the stigma still associated with separation and divorce in this day and age - staying together "for the sake of the kids" is usually the worst possible thing people can do when a relationship is fundamentally broken and irrepairable. This is probably great news for both Jake and Abbie, and especially their kids, in terms of the future.

KT31
31-12-2016, 03:04 PM
I'm with you though. I'd be an ex-footballer before I considered marriage or a serious relationship. You have to be really selfish to be a good footballer for a start. A lot of traits we would consider character flaws in normal life are good things on the football field for a start.

Not just with footballers but with anyone, it depends on the person and there traits.
I agree with you up to a point TD but I think as a young player matures (mid twenties) their partners help keep them grounded and settled in their otherwise chaotic lives.
Whilst I'm not condoning marriage and kids early ( IMO Jake was far, far too young) with some players settling down a is a positive and they have become better players because of their partners.
Bobbie, Picken and Crawf are on record commending their partners and are great examples.
We cannot underestimate what the players wives and kids bring to a club and what they have contributed to enhance the bond with our playing group.

Twodogs
31-12-2016, 05:00 PM
Not just with footballers but with anyone, it depends on the person and there traits.
I agree with you up to a point TD but I think as a young player matures (mid twenties) their partners help keep them grounded and settled in their otherwise chaotic lives.
Whilst I'm not condoning marriage and kids early ( IMO Jake was far, far too young) with some players settling down a is a positive and they have become better players because of their partners.
Bobbie, Picken and Crawf are on record commending their partners and are great examples.
We cannot underestimate what the players wives and kids bring to a club and what they have contributed to enhance the bond with our playing group.

I guess like anything else experience will inform ones opinions when it comes to marriage. I didn't enjoy my own experience so it's natural that that I'm a down on the institution.

GVGjr
31-12-2016, 05:34 PM
If Stringer is still primarily a forward in 2017 he has a lot of quality players around him and I wonder if he can return to being a 50 goal a season forward? For a player of his talent that should be a realistic aim.

Could we also be using him in our midfield rotation from time to time?

Twodogs
31-12-2016, 06:01 PM
If Stringer is still primarily a forward in 2017 he has a lot of quality players around him and I wonder if he can return to being a 50 goal a season forward? For a player of his talent that should be a realistic aim.

I agree. With the quality around him demanding to be manned up each week one or two forwards will get off the leash and have a day out. I think 50+ goals next year is a very realistic aim.

We should have a closest to the pin for Points Scored an each forward's total of goals for next season.

hujsh
31-12-2016, 07:01 PM

He kicked 42 this year so it doesn't seem a particularly outlandish goal

GVGjr
31-12-2016, 07:55 PM

The hopeful continued emergence of Boyd, the return of Crameri and the unknown of what Cloke might bring in theory means there is a few less options for him in a packed forward line.

boydogs
31-12-2016, 08:02 PM

And 50 the year before

Twodogs
31-12-2016, 08:22 PM
The hopeful continued emergence of Boyd, the return of Crameri and the unknown of what Cloke might bring in theory means there is a few less options for him in a packed forward line.

Hopefully with enough of the above in the team we can split defences and make more opportunities for everyone.

ratsmac
31-12-2016, 08:32 PM

Because when they are famous footballers they bat way above their average! Strike while the iron is hot if you know what I mean!! :p

hujsh
31-12-2016, 10:14 PM
Kicked more the year before with Crameri and Redpath in the team and Dickson kicking more goals/having a full season. Having less focus may even free him up and create more genuine opportunities for him (as opposed to attempted pack marks 3 on 1).

Boyd may also still be 50/50 in the ruck and we don't know what exactly Cloke's roll will be so if we as a team can get more goals on the board I don't see Stringer having a lack of opportunity.

GVGjr
31-12-2016, 10:37 PM

He had one more game in 2016 than 2015 so it was a decent drop in goals from one season to the next.

GVGjr
31-12-2016, 10:46 PM
Boyd may also still be 50/50 in the ruck and we don't know what exactly Cloke's roll will be so if we as a team can get more goals on the board I don't see Stringer having a lack of opportunity.

Boyd played 15 games this year so he missed a bit of footy. I don't think the split with his ruck duties will be 50/50 but if we do use that figure then Roughead will be up forward a bit as well. Either was it's Cloke, Crameri and the combination of Roughead and Boyd up forward alongside of Stringer, Dickson, Picken and a host of midfielders resting forward and most of them are regarded as productive forwards.

I'm still interested to see how Stringer and the others adapt in a particularly talented forward set-up.

KT31
01-01-2017, 04:06 AM
Because when they are famous footballers they bat way above their average! Strike while the iron is hot if you know what I mean!! :p

I shit stir my brother in-law a little because his ex misses always talked about marrying an AFL footballer.
She left him and succeeded with her ambition, and with no names mentioned married one of the ugliest footballers to don a pair of boots ever.

Twodogs
01-01-2017, 04:43 AM
Bob Sklton?

Throughandthrough
01-01-2017, 11:57 AM
I shit stir my brother in-law a little because his ex misses always talked about marrying an AFL footballer.
She left him and succeeded with her ambition, and with no names mentioned married one of the ugliest footballers to don a pair of boots ever..

North Melbourne full back?

Bulldog4life
01-01-2017, 12:05 PM

M.Martyn? Yes one of the ugly ones.

stefoid
01-01-2017, 12:50 PM
Kicking goals is great. We know Jake can kick goals. Like a skillful soccer striker that gets on the end of a chain and puts it the goal into the net with an outlandish piece of play.

But can he play a contested, team-defence oriented game and still kick his 40-50 goals?

Throughandthrough
01-01-2017, 02:58 PM
Kicking goals is great. We know Jake can kick goals. Like a skillful soccer striker that gets on the end of a chain and puts it the goal into the net with an outlandish piece of play.

But can he play a contested, team-defence oriented game and still kick his 40-50 goals?

Check out the last shot at goal of the prelim and also Pickens match sealer in the gf.

KT31
01-01-2017, 07:53 PM

No little earlier, but I was Mickie and Skinny's neighbours for a few years.

KT31
01-01-2017, 07:53 PM
Bob Sklton?

Far to early.

Twodogs
01-01-2017, 07:59 PM
Far to early.

Not Jack Dyer then?

The Underdog
01-01-2017, 08:12 PM
Far to early.

Scratcher Neal, Alan Ezard ?? :)

LostDoggy
01-01-2017, 08:51 PM
Cameron Ling?:p

LostDoggy
01-01-2017, 08:53 PM
Jacko?:p

GVGjr
01-01-2017, 08:58 PM
Guys, can we please get the thread back on track

Twodogs
01-01-2017, 10:59 PM
Could we even see Stringer spend some time in defence this year? Spots in attack are going to at a premium and Jake learning to look at a game from a defenders perspective could be good for his long term development.

GVGjr
01-01-2017, 11:23 PM
Could we even see Stringer spend some time in defence this year? Spots in attack are going to at a premium and Jake learning to look at a game from a defenders perspective could be good for his long term development.

On occasions he pushes into the back half but he just seems to me to be an important cog in our forward line to remove him from there for long stints. He could really add some additional grunt to the midfield if he moves into there from time to time.

westdog54
01-01-2017, 11:26 PM

Didn't BMac already try that?

GVGjr
01-01-2017, 11:28 PM

He certainly did, it ran him into a bit of form as well.

Twodogs
02-01-2017, 12:16 AM

He certainly did, it ran him into a bit of form as well.

You're both quite right. Bmac did try him in defence-Jake spent almost half a season down there-and after a bit of a slow start he really started to play some good footy in defence. I'd forgotten that, it caused a bit of angst at the time.

ledge
02-01-2017, 09:25 AM
I remember watching a game this year and he was at fullback picking up the ball .. And either before it or after it he kicked a goal.
He does still move around quite a bit and I expect more of it with Cloke in the side.
I can't see Cloke going back at all. So he will be up forward or maybe up on a wing when Jake goes forward.

ledge
02-01-2017, 09:30 AM
Personally I don't think even the coach knows what will happen on who goes where and when .. It all depends who we are playing who's playing well and state of game on the day.
I do see the coach getting everyone to play back or forward or mid at training though so he does have options for all occasions.
We have so many good forwards now some will have to move around.

Twodogs
02-01-2017, 11:07 AM
Personally I don't think even the coach knows what will happen on who goes where and when .. It all depends who we are playing who's playing well and state of game on the day.
I do see the coach getting everyone to play back or forward or mid at training though so he does have options for all occasions.

Exactly. Spots in the front six will be at a premium.

Did you see all Stringer's games at Footscray ledge? I only saw one and while he played alright he didn't try and dominate the opposition. How did you see his games there?

Eastdog
02-01-2017, 04:26 PM

Yes I remember at one time I was saying our forward line was a worry but now we have some real good quality there now.

ledge
02-01-2017, 07:49 PM
Exactly. Spots in the front six will be at a premium.

Did you see all Stringer's games at Footscray ledge? I only saw one and while he played alright he didn't try and dominate the opposition. How did you see his games there?
Didn't think he did much at all but you got the feeling he was in control and a class above.

Eastdog
02-01-2017, 07:51 PM
Didn't think he did much at all but you got the feeling he was in control and a class above.

How do you reckon he'll go for us next year ledge with Crammers back in the side?

bulldogsthru&thru
03-01-2017, 09:39 AM
So apparently Stringer and girlfriend Abby Gilmore have split....perhaps this played a part in Stringer's form at times during the season? 2 young kids and dealing with some relationship problems is enough to bother the hardest nuts out there.

ledge
03-01-2017, 11:49 AM
How do you reckon he'll go for us next year ledge with Crammers back in the side?

Crameri and Cloke it's an interesting time to see how Luke handles it .. I imagine Crameri and Stringer swapping in the middle and Cloke being the more the stay home forward taking the opposition best backman . But in saying that we also have Boyd , Redpath to do that as well.
I still say Bont would make a great CHF. We used to whinge about our forward line but all of a sudden it looks like it's our strongest line and we didn't have a real forward line in a premiership so we could be very very scary this year if we get the combinations right.
Could see us going back to back and wouldn't surprise me if the VFL side did the same, players from a premiership team will be playing VFL I have no doubt

Twodogs
03-01-2017, 09:54 PM
Crameri and Cloke it's an interesting time to see how Luke handles it .. I imagine Crameri and Stringer swapping in the middle and Cloke being the more the stay home forward taking the opposition best backman . But in saying that we also have Boyd , Redpath to do that as well.
I still say Bont would make a great CHF. We used to whinge about our forward line but all of a sudden it looks like it's our strongest line and we didn't have a real forward line in a premiership so we could be very very scary this year if we get the combinations right.
Could see us going back to back and wouldn't surprise me if the VFL side did the same, players from a premiership team will be playing VFL I have no doubt

Funny you say that but he reminds me a lot of Royce Hart. Maybe it's the #4 but the way the Bont is so sure in the air and thinks and moves so quickly reminds me of Hart. He runs like him too, holding the ball out in front of him.

LostDoggy
04-01-2017, 10:52 AM

Realistically, is there a position he would be bad at?

ledge
04-01-2017, 12:49 PM
Realistically, is there a position he would be bad at?

No so put him in the hardest position to play in which i think would be his best position now his body is ready for it

LostDoggy
04-01-2017, 02:59 PM
No so put him in the hardest position to play in which i think would be his best position now his body is ready for it

Yes or even just where he is needed most at the time.

LostDoggy
04-01-2017, 04:38 PM
Premiership Winning Coach Bevo can unwrap The Package wherever the Hell he likes ;)

bornadog
02-02-2017, 10:08 AM
Abby Gilmore opens up about separation from Western Bulldogs forward Jake Stringer (http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/news/national/abby-gilmore-opens-up-about-separation-from-western-bulldogs-forward-jake-stringer/news-story/5f17e8dc6746356ac0c74b0cea523739)

FOOTY WAG Abby Gilmore has opened up about her separation from Western Bulldogs forward Jake Stringer in the hope of helping other women struggling through relationship breakdowns, single parenthood and post-natal depression.

The 23-year-old mother to daughters Milla, 2, and Arlo, 9 months, has never shied from openly expressing her thoughts and feelings to her 50,000 plus followers on social media, but managed to keep their separation secret for six months while they continued to live under the same roof.

Dating since they were 13, the couple broke up when Arlo was just three weeks old. Stringer, 22, finally moved out in December.

“I’m in complete shock, I’m a single mum. I’m 23-years-old with two kids, that’s shocking to me. I still can’t believe it some days myself, but it’s just how it is,” Ms Gilmore says.

“No one ever plans to have kids and then to separate but what we want to plan on doing is to make it as friendly as possible, I don’t want the girls growing up thinking mum and dad hate each other.

“As much as we fought to stay together, it just wasn’t going to work for us, and that’s OK. What’s best for our girls is to see us happy together which involves not being together constantly. We needed to separate, we come together now and we’re happy.”

Ms Gilmore says she suffered from post-natal depression after the birth of Arlo and feels sharing her ongoing battle openly with other women is having a positive impact on her and them.

“With the post-natal, the fact that I recognised it and I am getting help for it, that’s a powerful message in itself,” she says.

Her heartfelt, emotional, random and humorous daily musings, which included live Snapchatting Arlo’s birth, have resonated with a rapidly increasing audience.

“I don’t want to waste time being sad and miserable and dwelling on things, I want to move on, share my story and how I’m recovering and coping, people find it helpful,” she says.

“It’s not much effort for me to share, there are times when I’m having a melt down and I think stuff it, ‘No, I’m going to share it’, because that’s where people connect with you the best.”

Ms Gilmore says she has taken comfort from the outpouring of support from her loyal followers, which has inspired her to start a blog as a platform to expand on her daily personal posts.

“I’m obviously absolutely heartbroken and so sad that this is how it is, but we will still support Jake and he’s got the biggest support in his two girls,” she says.

“Sometimes you can’t get past that hurt, but I guess I am just good at forgiving and moving on. At the end of the day I’ll be the one sitting here miserable and I have to get up every day for these girls and I can’t afford to do that.”

“People who get angry at their partners and shut them off, you’re actually hurting your kids more. That’s where sometimes you have to put your wants and your needs to the back and look after the kids, as a mum I suppose that’s what you’re always doing, and this is just another thing you sit back and put your kids first for.”

Despite being separated at the time, Ms Gilmore still shared in the Western Bulldogs Grand Final triumph with Stringer.
“It was hard but I was still incredibly proud. I helped Jake to get to live that dream and it was our dream together and I feel really fulfilled he’s got to come out of that with a medal and memories for ever, they’re our memories,” she says.

And while she enjoyed the rare glamour moments of being a footy WAG, Ms Gilmore says she genuinely won’t miss it.

“Those kinds of things weren’t what drove me. I’m trying to make my own positive impact on women and the world. Just because I was in that light I don’t think because I’m no longer Jake’s partner my life is doomed,” she says,

“I don’t think I’ll miss the stuff that comes with that, I’ve got my own life and goals and vision.”

Greystache
02-02-2017, 10:09 AM
I find the modern trend of using your kids as a tool for personal fame very distasteful.

1eyedog
02-02-2017, 10:24 AM
I agree. With the quality around him demanding to be manned up each week one or two forwards will get off the leash and have a day out. I think 50+ goals next year is a very realistic aim.

We should have a closest to the pin for Points Scored an each forward's total of goals for next season.

Remember Jake having 6 early in the 3rd two years ago I think against Adelaide maybe? I can see him kicking 10 in a game this year.

1eyedog
02-02-2017, 10:29 AM
Abby Gilmore opens up about separation from Western Bulldogs forward Jake Stringer (http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/news/national/abby-gilmore-opens-up-about-separation-from-western-bulldogs-forward-jake-stringer/news-story/5f17e8dc6746356ac0c74b0cea523739)

FOOTY WAG Abby Gilmore has opened up about her separation from Western Bulldogs forward Jake Stringer in the hope of helping other women struggling through relationship breakdowns, single parenthood and post-natal depression.

The 23-year-old mother to daughters Milla, 2, and Arlo, 9 months, has never shied from openly expressing her thoughts and feelings to her 50,000 plus followers on social media, but managed to keep their separation secret for six months while they continued to live under the same roof.

Dating since they were 13, the couple broke up when Arlo was just three weeks old. Stringer, 22, finally moved out in December.

“I’m in complete shock, I’m a single mum. I’m 23-years-old with two kids, that’s shocking to me. I still can’t believe it some days myself, but it’s just how it is,” Ms Gilmore says.

“No one ever plans to have kids and then to separate but what we want to plan on doing is to make it as friendly as possible, I don’t want the girls growing up thinking mum and dad hate each other.

“As much as we fought to stay together, it just wasn’t going to work for us, and that’s OK. What’s best for our girls is to see us happy together which involves not being together constantly. We needed to separate, we come together now and we’re happy.”

Ms Gilmore says she suffered from post-natal depression after the birth of Arlo and feels sharing her ongoing battle openly with other women is having a positive impact on her and them.

“With the post-natal, the fact that I recognised it and I am getting help for it, that’s a powerful message in itself,” she says.

Her heartfelt, emotional, random and humorous daily musings, which included live Snapchatting Arlo’s birth, have resonated with a rapidly increasing audience.

“I don’t want to waste time being sad and miserable and dwelling on things, I want to move on, share my story and how I’m recovering and coping, people find it helpful,” she says.

“It’s not much effort for me to share, there are times when I’m having a melt down and I think stuff it, ‘No, I’m going to share it’, because that’s where people connect with you the best.”

Ms Gilmore says she has taken comfort from the outpouring of support from her loyal followers, which has inspired her to start a blog as a platform to expand on her daily personal posts.

“I’m obviously absolutely heartbroken and so sad that this is how it is, but we will still support Jake and he’s got the biggest support in his two girls,” she says.

“Sometimes you can’t get past that hurt, but I guess I am just good at forgiving and moving on. At the end of the day I’ll be the one sitting here miserable and I have to get up every day for these girls and I can’t afford to do that.”

“People who get angry at their partners and shut them off, you’re actually hurting your kids more. That’s where sometimes you have to put your wants and your needs to the back and look after the kids, as a mum I suppose that’s what you’re always doing, and this is just another thing you sit back and put your kids first for.”

Despite being separated at the time, Ms Gilmore still shared in the Western Bulldogs Grand Final triumph with Stringer.
“It was hard but I was still incredibly proud. I helped Jake to get to live that dream and it was our dream together and I feel really fulfilled he’s got to come out of that with a medal and memories for ever, they’re our memories,” she says.

And while she enjoyed the rare glamour moments of being a footy WAG, Ms Gilmore says she genuinely won’t miss it.

“Those kinds of things weren’t what drove me. I’m trying to make my own positive impact on women and the world. Just because I was in that light I don’t think because I’m no longer Jake’s partner my life is doomed,” she says,

“I don’t think I’ll miss the stuff that comes with that, I’ve got my own life and goals and vision.”

What a woman. Post-natal depression is about as bad as it gets. Couple that with her age, the fact that she has not known another partner other than Jake ever and that he left when their child was a few weeks old... She's no less a champ than him in a different way.

Twodogs
02-02-2017, 10:55 AM
What a woman. Post-natal depression is about as bad as it gets. Couple that with her age, the fact that she has not known another partner other than Jake ever and that he left when their child was a few weeks old... She's no less a champ than him in a different way.

It's a pretty good attitude for someone so young.

bornadog
02-02-2017, 10:58 AM
It's a pretty good attitude for someone so young.

Also very tough for Jake, who is also only 22 years old and has the responsibility of being a father, husband and a high profile player.

Hopefully Jake will settle down a bit in 2017 and we will see the best of him again. Great that he is still apart of his daughters lives.

Twodogs
02-02-2017, 11:03 AM
I find the modern trend of using your kids as a tool for personal fame very distasteful.

I go from thinking that people have a right to say and do what they want and a certain percentage will always film it and put it and put it on YouTube to Oh god won't you please make them stop? when the latest Hitler in the Bunker or Good Parenting Advice recommendation comes up on the home page.

craigsahibee
02-02-2017, 11:43 AM

Jake was still around at the time. They decided to break up when Arlo was 3 weeks old.

No less upsetting I know, but at least Jake staying around made the transition for all a bit easier. At least that's how it was for me.

1eyedog
02-02-2017, 11:44 AM
I go from thinking that people have a right to say and do what they want and a certain percentage will always film it and put it and put it on YouTube to Oh god won't you please make them stop? when the latest Hitler in the Bunker or Good Parenting Advice recommendation comes up on the home page.

I think the relationship has been on edge for a long time. She moved down here for him and may have felt isolated so potentially used it as a medium to escape from a deteriorating situation and garner support. Difficult to know the actual situation.

cinder
02-02-2017, 05:09 PM
Very sad for the 2 little kids, as always in these situations.

Remi Moses
03-02-2017, 11:02 AM
Just wish this stuff was kept private .
Maybe an archaic view, but it's a family issue .

1eyedog
03-02-2017, 11:21 AM

Agree but it's a toughie for celebs. Unfortunately they're seldom able to pick and choose.

Greystache
03-02-2017, 01:12 PM
Agree but it's a toughie for celebs. Unfortunately they're seldom able to pick and choose.

Deciding whether to call the Herald-Sun or not to do a front page interview suggests there was a fair amount of choice of whether to keep it private or not. Clearly she chose the public profile option. I'd hardly call her a celeb either, without numerous efforts at self-promotion no one would know who she was.

Topdog
03-02-2017, 01:30 PM

More people talking about depression the better.

ledge
03-02-2017, 01:30 PM
I think they have both put the kids first which is fantastic . I was in the same situation and my children were 5 and 10 at the time.
We always put the kids first and being separated was better in the fact they didn't grow up with the tension in the house.
Both my children have grown up and are in relationships and love their mum and dad.
Sometimes it's better to be apart than together. As long as both parents can put the grievances aside.
From my experience and what she has written it sounds like they will be very good parents.