PDA

View Full Version : Review of the 2014 season so far

GVGjr
17-05-2014, 05:49 PM
With us having the bye it's probably a good time to reflect on the season so far to date.
I'd be interested to hear some responses for the following questions:

1) How good has Stewart Crameri been this year ?
(0 to 10 with 0 being a flop and 10 being a gun...no half votes)

2) Most improved players from 2013 form?
(Please give some reasons why)

3) Player that has disappointed you the most?

4) Which player has played the best game of the season so far?

5) Which player frustrates you the most?

6) Which player has the most exciting future?

7) Whats our biggest weakness that we need to improve on?

8) Will Jarrad Grant's return to the senior side make the same sort of impact this year as he did in 2013?

9) Which player that hasn't played in the senior side so far this year could make an impact?
(Not Jarrad Grant)

10) What will our ladder position be at the end of the season?
(How many wins will we get?)

bornadog
17-05-2014, 06:01 PM
Has been very good for us, great recruitment from Macca as he is just the player we were looking for in the forward line. 8/10

Macrae - has gone that one step up, even though he had a pretty good debut, this year gathering the ball almost 30 times a game is huge for a 19 year old. Could easily say Wood, but went for jack.

Up until last week, I thought Libba would have been better than he has been. I guess he uis tagged more now. Last week he was sensational.

I will say Libba for last week. Without him, I don't think we would have beaten Melbourne in a tight game.

Tom Williams - He is so athletic, big, and full of talent, but his body is so frustrating. Could have been anything this bloke.

Macrae - knows how to get the ball, he is a good size, just needs to build his core strength and he will be an A grader.

Moving the ball more fluently into the forward line and hitting a target.

8) Will Jarrad Grant's return to the senior side make the same sort of impact this year as he did in 2013?
Absolutlety, can't wait to see him.

9) Which player that hasn't played in the senior side so far this year could make an impact?
(Not Jarrad Grant)
Hrovat - has speed, can kick a ball and has footy smarts.

We must get more than 8, I think we can get to ten and finish 11th

G-Mo77
17-05-2014, 06:13 PM

I'd give it a 7. He's had some bad ones but his best has been real good.

Probably Easton Wood. Injury plagued and disappointing 2013 he's looking real good so far in 2014

Tough call because he's just a kid, still learning and I have high expectations but Michael Talia has been real disappointing. Just struggled at Senior Level so far. Plenty of time for improvement so I'm not concerned. Wallis another again not concerned though.

Libba last week against Melbourne. Simply outstanding!

I don't really have one player under the spotlight. Dumb team errors and poor structures annoy me most.

I just love Jackson Macrae. 2nd year player and looks to have a ton of class and poise. Really excited about having him with us.

Obviously forward line. Some weeks I do see improvement but it's an area which is our weakness.

Not sure. I don't see how it can hurt. He will improve our forward line a ton so I'm looking forward to slotting him back in there.

Smith, Hrovat fit and healthy will be big for us. Can't wait!

I'm taking the easy way out, 10 - 16. It's just too hard to call right now.

bulldogtragic
17-05-2014, 06:33 PM
8/10 - Worth every bit of coin so far. Last week he showed annoyance, so I expect oppositions will work at that angle, so he needs to make sure he keeps it in check.

Higgins. Showing why he was such a highly rated youngster

Howard, but he shouldn't have been kept. Then Wallis, his stocks were like IBM last year, now they're OneTel just before the crash.

Liberatore, a few times.

Jones. He has the talent, but consistent effort after all this time doesn't seem to be coming week in and week out.

Bontempelli. I was on his bandwagon for consideration a while back last year. Quite often i'm wrong, but he's a special player.

Kicking in. Still. Massive frustration.

Yes. 100%.

Smith. I'm so looking forward to him coming back.

15th, 5 wins. Pick 4 should net a big tall kid, Wright, McCartin, Goddard etc, etc, etc.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-05-2014, 07:29 PM
7 - has had a couple of very quiet games, but overall a very solid pick-up, pretty happy with his contributions.

Wood has been enormous and Macrae has been extremely consistent.

Tough one. We've had a lack of consistency from a lot of our players. Most disappointing? Probably Wallis.

Libba was superb last week.

Jones - but more so it's our structures (or lack of) that frustrate me most.

Bontempelli. After watching his VFL game last week - wow. I also still think that Stringer will develop into an elite footballer.

Developing a better forward structure. Arguably our defense needs just as much work.

Maybe not initially, but as he gets fitter - yes - because he's extremely difficult to match up on and creates zip/space that others (or himself) can take advantage of in the forward half. He is a crucial player for what he brings to the team.

Smith (and Hrovat). Former is a competitive beast, the latter is all class.

6 wins - hard to say where that landa us. Maybe 13th-ish?

lemmon
17-05-2014, 07:46 PM
7 as well, has had some brilliant performances but consistency has been somewhat lacking. Can't dominate every game and has been very good but there's a big difference between his best and worst

Higgins and Wood have been terrific, shows the benefits in simply getting on the park. Matthew Boyd looks rejuvenated and deserves plaudits as does Liam Picken

Big Will Minson for me, has looked a shadow of his former self after a great year and is a big reason why our contested ball stats have been so far down

Ill continue the trend, Libba last week

JJ this year, seems to continually runs himself into trouble. Needs to get back to basics

Lbba, will win Brownlow(s)

Our spine, we still need to find a genuine tall forward and another key back

Not sold, was great towards the back end of last year but am yet to be convinced he can sustain it. Prove me wrong Jarrad

Clay Smith, his toughness around the footy has been missed. Can't wait to see what he becomes, a lot of the Lenny Hayes' about him

14th. Puts some serious pressure on us as well to be honest

boydogs
17-05-2014, 08:10 PM

9/10, wasted no time adjusting to our style of play. Currently 8th in the Coleman, despite playing up the ground and in defense at times

Higgins, Macrae, Wood & Picken, our top 4 for disposal efficiency improvement

Tom Campbell, looked like the gorilla forward we were missing last year but hasn't been able to cement a spot this year

Liberatore v Melbourne

Liam Jones, his good is good but his bad is terrible

Tom Liberatore, should have been AA last year and still so young

Getting space on your opponent

I don't think we need him as much with Crameri now, so no, but hoping he will play just as well

Clay Smith, will be a top 5 player for the next 10 years

8 wins, 13th place

GVGjr
18-05-2014, 09:05 AM
8/10 - 1 poor game and a couple of average ones but the rest have been very good. His mobility over the ground have been impressive

I'll go with Liam Picken - He still has some flaws in his game but there were question marks about his ability to play in the back line last year and they have been well and truly squashed.
Special mention to Easton Wood who has been very impressive and Jackson who has been so consistent.

I had high hopes for Michael Talia this year and he just hasn't looked right so far. Early in the season there was a lot of questions on why the MC wasn't playing him but on what I have seen they were spot on.

Has to be Libba last week

Liam Jones because he isn't close to reaching his potential

Jackson Macrae, He's moved to another level this year and I think there is more to come.

Skill level by foot and pace around the ground.

Its doubtful he can play at the same level so quickly upon his return given opposition clubs will put better players on him but if he does it will be an exciting period. There are a lot of expectations on him by the fans and he needs to live up to that.

Clay Smith should add some grunt to our midfield.

12th with 8 wins. We will need a bit of luck to get to 10 wins given we have already squandered a win or two.

Bulldog Joe
18-05-2014, 03:54 PM
7 for me. Has really looked good on occasions but was missing in action against Essendon. A decent contribution in that game would have probably made the difference.

Probably Easton Wood who has become better than most thought possible.

Michael Talia. Whatever the issue he is certainly not giving his all. He dead set gave up on the chase a couple of times against Carlton.

Would go with Libba's effort against Melbourne.

Koby Stevens gets the gong here. He works so hard but has the vision of Stevie Wonder.

Lots of excitement around the young guys. Libba still fits in this category but we have several who have the potential to be A Grade plus. I think Libba can be at the very least top 5 in the comp.

Our forward 50 marking options. If we could get more set shots inside 50 we would start to be a danger to everyone.

We can only hope so. Always a concern when players have limited preparations. Our form will improve dramatically if he can produce anywhere near his 2013 form. He certainly creates more space and run and he did look good in the VFL game.

Clay Smith. He is such a competitor. He puts enormous physical pressure on opponents.

I initially speculated that we could make finals with 13 wins. We are just 1 win behind my expectation at this stage. So I still see the 8 as plausible. I'm going with 8th and no worse than 10th and 12 wins.

F'scary
18-05-2014, 03:56 PM
(0 to 10 with 0 being a flop and 10 being a gun...no half votes) 8/10. Top pick up. Big improvement on Dylan Addison in the forward line.

(Please give some reasons why) Macrae: the high average number of possessions, the vision, the physical development in one season and the stamina. Great choice for draft pick 6; Wood - fit and back to what he was showing in 2012; Dahlhaus - has really established that he is more than just a defensive forward; Higgins - made of sterner stuff than he has shown in previous seasons; Jones - at least his kicking for goals.

3) Player that has disappointed you the most? I was going to say Wallis - out of form compared to last season when he shut names down and hurt the opposition a bit going the other way - but no, I think Stevens because of his handballing deficiency.

4) Which player has played the best game of the season so far? Feels strange saying this but Higgins in the GWS game.

(Please give some reasons why) Definitely Kobe. Most players without any vision or poise can at least handball reasonably.

(Please give some reasons why). When Johannisen gets it all together, he will be sensational. Buffalo boy goes round the outside...

7) Whats our biggest weakness that we need to improve on? Kicking the ball out after a behind. We suck at it something shocking.

8) Will Jarrad Grant's return to the senior side make the same sort of impact this year as he did in 2013? Yes

(Not Jarrad Grant). Clay Smith - I love his interpretation of the defensive forward role in particular

(How many wins will we get?) 8 wins (Richmond, GWS * 2, Melbourne * 2, Brisbane, St Kilda, Gold Coast * 1). 13th on the ladder.

Ozza
20-05-2014, 05:47 PM
1) How good has Stewart Crameri been this year ?8. 18 goals from 8 games has him targeting 50 goals for the year (49.5 to be exact). This would certainly exceed my expectations and be a teriffic return.

2) Most improved players from 2013 form? Luke Dahlhaus - has gone from 16.7 possessions per game to 24.5 - and only kept under 20 stats (17 v Richmond/S.Morris) once. Huge improvement in consistency, and the ability to stay in games all day, even when a good shut down player goes to him. Its easy to forget, he's only played 57 career games and is 21 years old.

Probably Talia - just due to our injuries in defence, and him not grabbing the opportunity and making centre half back his.

To buck the trend I'll say Boyd's match vs GWS was as complete a performance as we've had.

Tom Williams can be pretty frustrating in defence at times.

Hard to go past Libba.

I would like to see us spread a lot better - add some outside run to our game. I think being able to get some easier outside ball, might improve the quality of our inside 50s.

We all hope so. Nothing in his history would indicate it is a lock, but I do think either he, or Bob Murphy, across half forward is exactly the type of player that we need.

Clay Smith. Love his competitiveness. Think he is a leader type.

13th.

Go_Dogs
20-05-2014, 11:13 PM
7 - Played some good games, with some poor ones, but is on par with my expectations for the first third of the season. Hoping he continues to build.

Easton Wood, has become a very consistent performer and for mine would be top 5 in our B&F to date. He is beating his opponent and creating.

Tom Young, I had high expectations on what he may deliver after a solid first season off a very low base. He just hasn't kicked on yet this year, which is disappointing as I thought he could really lock down that third defender role. Especially disappointing given we've needed some coverage in defence.

Libba against Melbourne has to be the standout.

Liam Jones. Has played some OK games, but has also played some shockers. I was really hoping he'd hit his straps this year and deliver consistent performances, he hasn't yet and it frustrates me because I think he has a lot of tools to become a consistent player for us.

Luke Dahlhaus. Having a great year and looks set to become a midfield weapon who can tear games apart. He's already an exciting player who makes things happen, but he's increasing his ability to continually impact a game.

Still out outside stuff, our ball movement. We just haven't looked sharp enough yet, and for mine, it's a combination of skill, positioning and knowing when and where to run.

Not sure, but hoping he will. He's another like Jones who has some great tools and it would be a huge boost to the team if he could. It seems like his VFL game was promising and he's really starting to 'get it'. Fingers crossed.

Clay Smith is the obvious one, but I'm going to go for Hrovat. Hasn't quite hit his straps yet it seems, but he adds some polish and I'm really looking forward to him getting in to the side to help our skill and spread.

I think we'll end up on 9 wins which will see us finish 13th based on percentage.

wimberga
21-05-2014, 08:34 AM
Stewie has been pretty good. Definitely met my expectations with a few poor performances, a couple of average performances and a couple of real standout performances.

Can't go past Easton Wood. The jump he has made has been amazing. Apologies to Jack Macrae & Dahlhaus

Talia - It's all laid out for him and we need his type, just needs to do what the coach asks.

Libba v Melbourne

Koby Stevens as with other posters. so much talent, a bull at the gates type, but if he gave himself just 1 more second each time he had the ball, we'd have a star.

Jake Stringer. I just haven't seen his kind of arrogance, swagger and natural ability in a player at the dogs for a while. Expecting big things.

Lowering our eyes on the midfield/forward movement. I remember the good old days of our mosquito forwardline that tore opposition to shreds by hitting players on the lead repeatedly. Lucky to see that once a game now.

I definitely hope so.

Clay Smith. Absolute Animal.

I believe we will finish somewhere around 12th, with perhaps 7-8 wins.

bulldogtragic
21-05-2014, 05:57 PM
To Question 1: So true, and nothing new, like a zoo, our crew in line to like Stew is a long queue, what a coup, a great woo, here's looking at you, Stew.

Too long for haiku? Now time for a brew, I bid you adjure.

p.s. Essendon are poo.

whythelongface
21-05-2014, 08:02 PM
8 as others have said a couple of average with some good and some very good games. Overall think he has been a great addition.

Easton Wood - based more on the fact that he had not lived up to his potential, mainly due to injuries, over the last few years. He really has been fantastic this year.

Probably Mitch Wallis. Had a really good backend to the season last year but his appearances in the seniors have been disappointing. There is obviously still hope but he really needs to improve quickly otherwise others will pass him by.

Libba v Melbourne - outstanding

Liam Jones - we know he has ability but he needs to back himself more and have more impact and be more consistent.

We have whole number of players such as Stringer, Hrovrat, Smith, Libba to name but a few but Macrae really stands out for me. He is in his 2nd year and has an unbelievable upside. Lock him in for a Norm Smith medal in the next 5 years.

Delivery into the forward line. Sure our stats have shown that our disposal efficiency has improved, however our forward entries still lack consistency. Whether this is a delivery issue or a forward line issue I am not sure.

Let's hope so. He will be picked this week so we will soon see.

Hrovrat

6 to 8 wins - a little disappointing, however we will be in games longer.