PDA

View Full Version : Higgins in Contract Talks - How long would we give him?

bornadog
20-05-2014, 02:25 PM
Shaun Higgins opens contract talks with Western Bulldogs

Shaun Higgins has opened informal contract discussions with the Western Bulldogs, with the clever utility enjoying a strong season and banishing the frustration of an injury-hit 2013.
Higgins, a restricted free agent but keen to remain with the Bulldogs, has played in all eight matches this season, averaging a career-high 21.3 disposals, including 36 against the Bombers in round seven.
Higgins’ manager Bruce Kaider, of One Management, said they had had preliminary talks.
‘‘We have opened discussions but it’s very much in its early stages. Our focus has been, and continues to be, to just let Shaun focus on playing good football for the Western Bulldogs,’’ he said.

‘‘As it stands at the moment, I think he wants to be a Western Bulldog and the Bulldogs want to keep him as a player. As our discussions progress, we will know more. But it’s too early to make any real informed comment.
‘‘We just want Shaun to focus on football. That’s the No.1 thing for him at the moment – and to make sure he stays healthy. We have tried purposely to just try to keep the distraction of the contract negotiation away for the time being until he gets a block of footy under his belt.’’

Higgins managed just three matches last season after fracturing the navicular bone in his foot. Now fit and enjoying his new role as a rebounding half-back, he has won a career-high 25 per cent of his disposals inside the defensive 50 and continues to work on his defensive accountability. However, when he has found space up forward, he has continued to capitalise, booting six straight goals.
Having recently turned 26, the silky Higgins is likely to want a two or three-year contract extension.

The Bulldogs have former skipper Matthew Boyd, defenders Robert Murphy and Dale Morris, and forwards Daniel Giansiracusa and Tom Williams as unrestricted free agents. Boyd, Murphy, Morris and Williams are expected to re-sign.
Giansiracusa, who has been predominantly used as an impact substitute this season, is expected to retire and take up a coaching-development role at the club.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/shaun-higgins-opens-contract-talks-with-western-bulldogs-20140519-zrhkl.html#ixzz32DrprBni

azabob
20-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Gee Whiz - How long do we give him? Actually all players mentioned in the article have a degree of complexity around them bar Gia.

Higgins - 2 years plus an option for a 3rd if he meets games played criteria
Williams - 1 year
Murphy - 2 years
Morris 2 years
Boyd - 1 year

Remi Moses
20-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Morris 1 year( option of 2)
Murphy ( see above)
Williams ( any more injuries and I can't see him continuing)
Higgins ( 2 years)
Gia ( retiring )

Remi Moses
20-05-2014, 02:56 PM
Boyd ( 1 year)

azabob
20-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Remi, surely Higgings would be pushing for three. Would you let him walk if he gave that ultimatium?

LostDoggy
20-05-2014, 06:34 PM
More complex to me is how much do you pay him? Is he $250-300k due to past injury history or $400-$500k based on value as a free agent? Better player than Daisy nowadays. Someone going to unload a lazy $750k at him....?

Happy Days
20-05-2014, 06:38 PM
I'd go in offering 2 but I'd be fine with 3, we've made far more egregious list management decisions before and given all the work we have put into his rehab he's worth more to us than anyone else.

Hotdog60
20-05-2014, 07:17 PM
Can you do things like a base rate plus increase match payment so if he gets injured he only get the base (which is still a reasonable amount for service).

bornadog
20-05-2014, 07:24 PM
Can you do things like a base rate plus increase match payment so if he gets injured he only get the base (which is still a reasonable amount for service).

There is no way he would accept that due to market rates.

Remi Moses
20-05-2014, 07:53 PM
Remi, surely Higgings would be pushing for three. Would you let him walk if he gave that ultimatium?

His lack of durability has to be heavily considered.
This is his first injury free year ( touch wood)

lemmon
20-05-2014, 07:54 PM

I don't see why he wouldn't be happy with two with an automatic upgrade to a third based on games played

bulldogtragic
2 with a fitness option for a third.

But what do I know, Cordy got 9 years, Grant struggled to get more than 1.

Remi Moses
More complex to me is how much do you pay him? Is he $250-300k due to past injury history or $400-$500k based on value as a free agent? Better player than Daisy nowadays. Someone going to unload a lazy $750k at him....?

I'd be staggered if Shaun would get 400 plus.I reckon 250 to 300 range.

GVGjr
20-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Gee Whiz - How long do we give him? Actually all players mentioned in the article have a degree of complexity around them bar Gia.

Higgins - 2 years plus an option for a 3rd if he meets games played criteria
Williams - 1 year
Murphy - 2 years
Morris 2 years
Boyd - 1 year

I agree with this approach for all the players but maybe Murphy should be on one year deals from now on.

jeemak
20-05-2014, 08:00 PM
2 with a fitness option for a third.

But what do I know, Cordy got 9 years, Grant struggled to get more than 1.

Really?

bulldogtragic
20-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Really?

:) OK, I exaggerated, he got 4 after showing very little.

azabob
20-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Really?

I think BT has taken some poetic license!

azabob
20-05-2014, 08:05 PM
I agree with this approach for all the players but maybe Murphy should be on one year deals from now on.

Why just the one for Murphy? Is it because he relies so much on his pace and evasion skills, which traditional has left players very very quickly.

Remi Moses
20-05-2014, 08:09 PM

If feels like a 9 year contract.
Come on Ayce

bulldogtragic
20-05-2014, 08:16 PM
If feels like a 9 year contract.
Come on Ayce

Yep. I want nothing more than apologise for every doubt i've ever had with Ayce. I want him to prove me wrong, but like others, we've seen many talls fail to make the grade and it seems a little dejavu.

GVGjr
20-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Why just the one for Murphy? Is it because he relies so much on his pace and evasion skills, which traditional has left players very very quickly.

It's mainly his age and as you say the fact that he relies on his pace that could drop off. A 2 year deal is more than okay if we are confident he isn't carrying injuries etc.

lemmon
20-05-2014, 08:25 PM

I may be off but I've felt his contributions have started to ease off this year. He's still be good and an important part of the backline but I've just felt we aren't seeing as many dashing runs or precision passes.

Edit- I'm probably wrong, looking back over his stats for the year they match up almost exactly with his stats the last few seasons. Averaging 20 disposals a game at about 85% efficiency which is about his norm for Bobby

bornadog
20-05-2014, 08:28 PM

Hawthorn only give one year for players over 30. I like that approach.

azabob
20-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Hawthorn only give one year for players over 30. I like that approach.

Do they? I know Adelaide started that trend (how we got the beard) but I hadn't heard of Hawthorn doing it. But it isn't surprising more clubs are following suit.

bornadog
20-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Do they? I know Adelaide started that trend (how we got the beard) but I hadn't heard of Hawthorn doing it. But it isn't surprising more clubs are following suit.

Hawthorn have had this philosophy for a long time and even guys like Crawford were pissed off when contract time came up.

Players just don't realise how quickly their body deteriorates after 30. I know Essendons Fletcher is still going but that isnot the norm. How many players went down hill in their 30's and we kept them on. Think about it.

azabob
20-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Hawthorn have had this philosophy for a long time and even guys like Crawford were pissed off when contract time came up.

Players just don't realise how quickly their body deteriorates after 30. I know Essendons Fletcher is still going but that isnot the norm. How many players went down hill in their 30's and we kept them on. Think about it.

Hey BAD, not disagreeing at all, what so ever. It is a fine line between showing a club champion respect they deserve and transitioning the list correctly.

bornadog
20-05-2014, 09:04 PM
Hey BAD, not disagreeing at all, what so ever. It is a fine line between showing a club champion respect they deserve and transitioning the list correctly.

Yes its a hard one. Scott West is a good example. He wanted to play on but Rocket had to tell him he was near the end.

azabob
20-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Something that has been discussed previously is can we afford all of Boyd, Murphy, Morris, Gia all leave at the same time.

Do Gia and one other need to go at the end of 2014?

Gia end 2014
Boyd & Murphy end of 2015
Morris end of 2016.

It isn't an exact science, but it would be really interesting to see what JMAC currently thinks our list will look like from 2015 and beyond in terms of the older guys including Cooney and Minson.

F'scary
20-05-2014, 09:18 PM

Sounds like he's a not-well-endowed flasher.

F'scary
20-05-2014, 09:21 PM
Make Higgins play the full year before offering the next contract.

It amazes me how often players string a few good performances together when the contract is being negotiated.

bulldogtragic
20-05-2014, 09:23 PM
Something that has been discussed previously is can we afford all of Boyd, Murphy, Morris, Gia all leave at the same time.

Do Gia and one other need to go at the end of 2014?

Gia end 2014
Boyd & Murphy end of 2015
Morris end of 2016.

It isn't an exact science, but it would be really interesting to see what JMAC currently thinks our list will look like from 2015 and beyond in terms of the older guys including Cooney and Minson.

This needs a thread of its own, it's such an important list management issue you raise Az.

I'm not sure if Morris has another 60 games in him.
Leaving Bob on 290 odd games, memories of Choco.
The argument from Cross going could be the same as Boyd this year.
Gia is confirmed as moving.
With Cooney's knees, it's not unthinkable he could retire earlier too.

We need to get this right.

jeemak
20-05-2014, 09:37 PM
I'm with others in saying on current fitness and form Higgins should be offered 2+1, and if he pushes us three with performance clauses loaded into the last year.

He should earn a fairly lucrative deal as far as our list is concerned, because the market dictates he should. By lucrative I'm talking second tier earnings, not top tier earnings.

Murphy and Morris are year by year propositions, and if Boyd sticks around he should be year by year as well. I'd be disappointed if we hadn't started planning for life without these three a few years ago, so whether one or two of them stays on a year longer than any of us might expect it shouldn't make much of a difference to how our list is managed.