http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-20/fan-banned-over-racism

Essendon, Bulldogs embroiled in racial vilification shame

Callum Twomey
May 20, 2014 12:39 PM

- Essendon fan's membership cancelled after vilifying Adam Goodes
- Bulldogs fail to identify fan who vilified Neville Jetta
- Goodes, Jetta thank clubs for swift action
- AFL says action highlights zero tolerance from other fans

AN ESSENDON member has had his membership cancelled after racially vilifying Sydney Swan Adam Goodes on Friday night, and the Western Bulldogs have also had to deal with a supporter vilifying an indigenous player.

Essendon started its investigation into the incident after members reported the abuse to Etihad Stadium management during the Bombers' 50-point loss.

Victoria Police ejected the spectator from the stadium and the club on Tuesday confirmed it had terminated the supporter's membership.

Goodes has thanked Essendon for its handling of the matter.

"While it is disappointing that these incidents still arise, there is a positive to come out of this, and that is the willingness of people in the crowd, regardless of the colours of their scarf and jumper, to draw a line in the sand and say that this is not acceptable," he said.

"While there still work to be done, to have Essendon members alert stadium security to the incident is a great indication that people in the football community will not tolerate racial vilification."

Meanwhile the Bulldogs have confirmed that "a person wearing a Bulldogs jumper" had racially abused Melbourne's Neville Jetta during the match on May 12.

President Peter Gordon said, "We were told that the abuse was reported at the time and that the perpetrator was monitored but due to an error he was not ejected by the security company.

"Subsequent efforts by the staff of the MCC to identify this person by CCTV footage, and by review of the ticketing records, have not so far proved successful.

"Despite those attempts being unsuccessful we remain entirely satisfied that the racial abuse occurred and that unfortunately it came from one of our own Bulldogs supporters."

He apologised on behalf of the club to Jetta and his family. Jetta responded a short time later in a statement issued by Melbourne, thanking the Bulldogs for the "respect and support" they showed in dealing with the incident.

In a statement on the Goodes' vilification, Bombers chief operating officer Xavier Campbell said, "On behalf of the entire Essendon Football Club, I want to publicly apologise to Adam Goodes for this extremely disappointing incident.

"Essendon prides itself on diversity and inclusion – players and fans deserve and expect the right to enjoy sport free from any form of abuse or harassment.

"As a club, we will now work even harder to educate our members and supporters about racial vilification and cultural awareness in our game."

Campbell said the member had expressed "deep remorse" and would only be considered for a membership again after undertaking a racial vilification education program.

"I commend our supporters for taking a stand and having the courage to report this matter to the appropriate authorities. If you're going to behave in this manner we don't want you attending our games," he said.

Goodes was the subject of a racist taunt last year from a teenage Collingwood supporter, which was then followed by Magpies president Eddie McGuire's 'King Kong' comments.

The champion Swan was named Australian of the Year for 2013 for his leadership and fight against racism on the sporting field and within society.

The AFL said the incidents were "extremely disappointing, but also highlighted the zero tolerance from other fans and the AFL community towards such behaviour".

AFL general manager football operations, Mark Evans, said the strong response from supporters who reported the comments and the subsequent actions of the clubs demonstrated that vilification and anti-social behaviour had no place in Australian football.

Gordon's statement added, "It has been the club’s initiative to make this matter public and to acknowledge the wrongdoing of one of our own supporters. When racist abuse rears its ugly head we will never as a club do what this person has done ... disappear into anonymity.

"It happened. One of our own supporters did it. We are all diminished as a consequence. But we will not let it pass. Even though we need every supporter we can get ... we don’t need supporters who behave like this.

"The fact that racist abuse is ignorant, cruel, unfair and unlawful, ought to be enough to see it consigned to history. But for those who despite all of these things continue to engage in it, know that we as a club we will not by silence, be complicit in your anonymous abuse. We will pursue and rigorously investigate any matter which comes to our attention."

Jetta's statement in response said: "I am disappointed for my family and friends to be subjected to these types of remarks and it's completely unacceptable that these sorts of comments still exist in our society today," he said.

"I was upset that my family and friends were subjected to this type of behaviour and that it still exists within the AFL, as they (the AFL) have done a terrific job in educating society that racial vilification is unacceptable.

"This is an opportunity to educate society and just because I didn’t hear the remark first hand, this doesn't mean that it is any less offensive or hurtful.

"I want to use this incident to continually educate society that comments of this nature are highly offensive and the hurt it can have on others.

"Finally, I want to thank the Western Bulldogs Football Club for the way in which they have handled this situation and the respect and support they have shown in dealing with this matter."

AFL football operations boss Mark Evans said racism would not be tolerated.

"I think we have to recognise that this genuinely hurts people. Even if they don't hear it, when they hear about the event later on it hurts them to think that this can still happen," Evans told AFL.com.au.

"But it's such a minority in our crowds now. We are very proud of the way our game responds to these sorts of things.

"I hope it reduces to zero. But you can guarantee that when it does occur, that our clubs and the AFL will act.

"The most important in all of this is that there's no place for vilification at an AFL match. I think we're very proud of the way our clubs have handled this, especially that they've acted so swiftly.

"And I would hope there are some people who are embarrassed by their actions, and they understand what they've done, and they make a pledge to make themselves better from this.

"I know that we're slowly winning the battle, and what we can be really proud of is that there's almost this self-regulation in crowds now.

"So I encourage people to make sure they text the anti-social behaviour hotline and we'll get support there as soon as we can."

chef
20-05-2014, 05:07 PM
They should release the pricks image and shame him until he gives an apology.

bornadog
20-05-2014, 05:11 PM
They should release the pricks image and shame him until he gives an apology.

Its a sad world we live in

Happy Days
20-05-2014, 05:23 PM
What is wrong with people? Who's brain works like that?

Eastdog
20-05-2014, 05:32 PM
Not good at all. Some people just don't learn from what has happened in the past.

Remi Moses
20-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Good god the clubs struggles to get any publicity, and when we do some peanut dimwit Shames our club.
God help us.
Well done to the club for getting on the front foot.

LostDoggy
20-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Good god the clubs struggles to get any publicity, and when we do some peanut dimwit Shames our club.
God help us.
Well done to the club for getting on the front foot.

Yep agreed, we struggle for any positive media at all, and this turkey shames our proud club. Hope they are named and shed ad forbode from having anything to do with our club

bornadog
20-05-2014, 07:25 PM
What is wrong with people? Who's brain works like that?

Low life bogans

bulldogtragic
20-05-2014, 07:51 PM
Dead set traitor to our club and society moreover. Garbage behaviour I hope we is publicly hing, drawn and quartered.

azabob
20-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Interestingly we as a club decided to make this information public.

I am a bit surprised we did and I must admit I was slightly taken aback, that we did make it public. Peter Gordon was also on 774 ABC earlier tonight, I didn't hear it, but I hope this was not the basis for the discussion / interview.

Remi Moses
20-05-2014, 08:21 PM

I am a bit surprised we did and I must admit I was slightly taken aback, that we did make it public. Peter Gordon was also on 774 ABC earlier tonight, I didn't hear it, but I hope this was not the basis for the discussion / interview.

Why?

azabob
20-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Why?

Not sure Remi, it was my initial reaction. I am glad we took action and tried to find and identify the culprit, even though we couldn't.

1eyedog
21-05-2014, 12:34 PM
Dead set traitor to our club and society moreover. Garbage behaviour I hope we is publicly hing, drawn and quartered.

Unfortunately this is not uncommon in society. There is still fairly broad-scale racism in this country some of it quite active but much of it passive.

I think the club did the right thing. It's important that the leader of the club came out and made a stand by emphatically stating that this club prides itself on strong principles. The club cannot be held accountable for the action of all its supporters and silence on this issue has the potential to perpetrate repeat action.

bulldogtragic
21-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Unfortunately this is not uncommon in society. There is still fairly broad-scale racism in this country some of it quite active but much of it passive.

I have to agree wholeheartedly. I was talking about workplaces recently as my pet academic topic is something called 'emotional labour'. As a part of that discussion someone who works very high up in a global conglomerate asked me to think about racism in these terms...

3 people go for the final interview process for a job. One Indian, one Korean and one anglo saxon Aussie who went to a similar university to yours, knows Aussie sport and you can talk about contemporary Aussie formative experiences with them. All three are determined exactly suitable as each other to have the position, who do you decide to employ?

If you answer the Aussie, is that a form of passive and indirect racism?

I'm sure some would have differing opinions.

bornadog
21-05-2014, 12:56 PM
I have to agree wholeheartedly. I was talking about workplaces recently as my pet academic topic is something called 'emotional labour'. As a part of that discussion someone who works very high up in a global conglomerate asked me to think about racism in these terms...

3 people go for the final interview process for a job. One Indian, one Korean and one anglo saxon Aussie who went to a similar university to yours, knows Aussie sport and you can talk about contemporary Aussie formative experiences with them. All three are determined exactly suitable as each other to have the position, who do you decide to employ?

Not necessarily racism. If all three had exactly the same work experience, university qualifications etc , I would choose the Aussie, because you also want someone in the role that fits in with the rest of the staff. On the other hand if the Aussie's qualification and work experience wasn't up to scratch but you chose him for being an Aussie....well that is different.

jeemak
21-05-2014, 01:02 PM
But who's to say the attributes outside of those deemed critical to perform in the role held by the Indian and Korean candidates aren't as valuable as knowledge of Australian formative experiences and sport?

Who said anything about the Australian fitting in with the rest of the staff? From the information presented it's only the hiring manager that went to the same university and likes discussing Australian formative experiences and Australian sport.

Choosing somebody on their knowledge of Australian sport and formative experiences through being Australian is discriminatory based on race, I would have thought.

1eyedog
21-05-2014, 01:14 PM

It's a good question with no clear-cut answer. I think this is one of the reasons why multi-nationals / larger corporations have expert HR and recruitment staff on deck who consider a combination of criteria (including rigorous personality interviews and surely no two people will be exactly the same in this particular category). Maybe the company has a particular type of personality they are after. If the interviewer is Indian and he / she selects the Indian candidate I guess the same applies. Many of the interviews I have been involved in have had a large number of 'interviewers' which has always raised my hopes that any inherent biases that surface in one on one interviews are eliminated by the common sense of the 'many'.

Greystache
21-05-2014, 01:16 PM

Working in a large bank I would say they would choose either of the two who aren't the Australian. Divisions have diversity targets they need to hit or they have to put in an explanation for not doing so. If there's 2 EQUALLY matched candidates the Aussie is very little chance because it's an easy win for diversity, and reduces the chances down the track of having to hire an inferior candidate to make diversity quota.

It's even more extreme when it comes to women. If a senior role comes up and a woman doesn't get it, even if the potential candidates are under qualified, the hiring manager needs to justify their hiring decision.

I'm sure out in the 'burbs it's different, but most of the ASX top 10's all have similar policies.

bulldogtragic
21-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Working in a large bank I would say they would choose either of the two who aren't the Australian. Divisions have diversity targets they need to hit or they have to put in an explanation for not doing so. If there's 2 EQUALLY matched candidates the Aussie is very little chance because it's an easy win for diversity, and reduces the chances down the track of having to hire an inferior candidate to make diversity quota.

It's even more extreme when it comes to women. If a senior role comes up and a woman doesn't get it, even if the potential candidates are under qualified, the hiring manager needs to justify their hiring decision.

I'm sure out in the 'burbs it's different, but most of the ASX top 10's all have similar policies.

Gail Kelly has set out that all management positions will be 50/50 in 10 years hasn't she?

bornadog
21-05-2014, 02:03 PM
But who's to say the attributes outside of those deemed critical to perform in the role held by the Indian and Korean candidates aren't as valuable as knowledge of Australian formative experiences and sport?

Who said anything about the Australian fitting in with the rest of the staff? From the information presented it's only the hiring manager that went to the same university and likes discussing Australian formative experiences and Australian sport.

Choosing somebody on their knowledge of Australian sport and formative experiences through being Australian is discriminatory based on race, I would have thought.

This is a mind field.

I would choose the applicant that will fit in with the rest of the work culture and be a team player, no matter what their race.

Murphy'sLore
21-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, 'fitting in' with the dominant culture could easily be used as an excuse to only hire candidates with similar ethnicity, class and gender. How can you ever promote diversity if 'fitting in' is used as a primary criterion for employment?

Maybe we prize conformity more than we should. How about valuing creativity, lateral thinking, seeing things from a different angle, all of which might be enhanced by coming from a different background and a diversity of life experiences.

Greystache
21-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Gail Kelly has set out that all management positions will be 50/50 in 10 years hasn't she?

Yes, and most of the other banks have a similar goal.

I don't want to derail the thread, but there has been some ridiculous situations where a new senior management appointment HAS to be a woman, and with no one suitable to step up, there have been people promoted to roles where their manager now reports to them. At times the male overlooked for the role is given the instruction to help their new manager cope in their role.

bulldogtragic
21-05-2014, 03:03 PM

I don't want to derail the thread, but there has been some ridiculous situations where a new senior management appointment HAS to be a woman, and with no one suitable to step up, there have been people promoted to roles where their manager now reports to them. At times the male overlooked for the role is given the instruction to help their new manager cope in their role.

It's just the way of the new world where merit has changing levels. For example, impediments in the physical tests for the police were eliminated to allow more women to get in and then the scales were changed in total enter scores where the bar was higher for men, who is turn were overlooked despite being better candidates from an objective point of view (the enter score). Accordingly 2003 onwards women accounted for 70% of most new police recruit squads.

I guess it's a matter of opinion as to whether this is genuine equality or not.

bornadog
21-05-2014, 03:11 PM

It's just the way of the new world where merit has changing levels. For example, impediments in the physical tests for the police were eliminated to allow more women to get in and then the scales were changed in total enter scores where the bar was higher for men, who is turn were overlooked despite being better candidates from an objective point of view (the enter score). Accordingly 2003 onwards women accounted for 70% of most new police recruit squads.

I guess it's a matter of opinion as to whether this is genuine equality or not.

These policies have only arisen because in the past there have been prejudices against women and race and now change is being forced to get the balance back.

You can blame the baby boomers:D

bulldogtragic
21-05-2014, 04:14 PM
These policies have only arisen because in the past there have been prejudices against women and race and now change is being forced to get the balance back.

You can blame the baby boomers:D

I blame the baby boomers and the next generation. This whole giving medals for simply applying or trying, and worse not keeping the score at footy games is rubbish. My neighbour's kid can recall every score and the final score from every game he has ever played. From my worldly view, it's how you deal with the bad things that happen to you, they are formative life lessons. Leaving these lessons to 20 or more years old is a massive employer problem as young workers as an observation cannot take criticism and cause problems when they do get told they're not perfect and mummies little angel. So many IR problems i've been thrown at me because of this. But alas, I digress.

jeemak
21-05-2014, 10:20 PM
There's no average kids anymore either, and there haven't been for quite some time. They're all exceptional.

jeemak
21-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Back on topic, it's funny how we want to ban people from footy games for saying racist things while a reasonable portion of the public seem to want to make it OK to say racist things directly to and about people through changing legislation.

If 18C is repealed to the extent George Brandis wants it to be, is the AFL going to be faced with a situation whereby people are banned for doing something that's completely legal?

I'm glad the club has taken this proactive step. I'm happy for people to have a good humoured crack at someone for things they can and should probably change about themselves. There's usually enough of that fodder to feed on without having to revert to things people can't change (such as red hair, for instance - which is apparently not OK to have and deserves derision, though I've never understood why).

LostDoggy
22-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Back on topic, it's funny how we want to ban people from footy games for saying racist things while a reasonable portion of the public seem to want to make it OK to say racist things directly to and about people through changing legislation.

If 18C is repealed to the extent George Brandis wants it to be, is the AFL going to be faced with a situation whereby people are banned for doing something that's completely legal?

I'm glad the club has taken this proactive step. I'm happy for people to have a good humoured crack at someone for things they can and should probably change about themselves. There's usually enough of that fodder to feed on without having to revert to things people can't change (such as red hair, for instance - which is apparently not OK to have and deserves derision, though I've never understood why).

Wouldn't the AFL just make it part of ground entry/supporter code of conduct that it's illegal?

bulldogtragic
22-05-2014, 10:07 AM
Wouldn't the AFL just make it part of ground entry/supporter code of conduct that it's illegal?

Yeah, it would be a pre-condition of entry on either the ticket or sign at the gates if it's not already.

jeemak
22-05-2014, 10:33 AM

Yeah, it would be a pre-condition of entry on either the ticket or sign at the gates if it's not already.

Probably, and I suppose it would be difficult to contend being a racist at the football is contributing to public debate - in good faith.

I suppose for the ignorant types out there who already struggle with what is and isn't OK to say at the football, banning them for something that will unlikely be punishable in broader society will probably confuse the issue for them.

bulldogtragic
22-05-2014, 10:38 AM
Probably, and I suppose it would be difficult to contend being a racist at the football is contributing to public debate - in good faith.

I suppose for the ignorant types out there who already struggle with what is and isn't OK to say at the football, banning them for something that will unlikely be punishable in broader society will probably confuse the issue for them.

Out of it all, that the crowds reported it shows to me that we've come further than the past. It's a silver lining to the fact this garbage is still happening.

jeemak
22-05-2014, 11:20 AM
Out of it all, that the crowds reported it shows to me that we've come further than the past. It's a silver lining to the fact this garbage is still happening.

Sure, and I hope that if standards within broader society are relaxed somewhat it's not reflected in a relaxation of standards at AFL games (or any other sporting codes across the levels for that matter).

bulldogtragic
22-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Sure, and I hope that if standards within broader society are relaxed somewhat it's not reflected in a relaxation of standards at AFL games (or any other sporting codes across the levels for that matter).

This is kind of the debate. If idiot's want to make racist comments such as this, then the argument goes 'so be it'. But the counter of that is it's the rights of the AFL or whomever else to pass judgement of their own to eject of refuse services, the right of the media to smash these morons publicly and it's my right to tell everyone I know I think it's disgraceful and this clown should be banned from any and every institution that can ban him legally.

It's the issues that surround most Australian States legislation into human rights legislation, about offering a particular right but needing to say the opposite at the same time, ie "you are free to join a trade union". But the opposite right should also be enshrined that you are free not to join a trade union. It's a hard balancing act, and I can see the philosophical argument outside of media hype. If it's a right to a publicly name and shame idiots like these, should there be free will of people to make these comments. Drilling further down into the Vic human rights legislation debate, is it the role of government to intervene in these events, or should the community evolve to the point where we move issues of race, gender, reconciliation etc and we the people move social consciousness beyond these idiots, but of course having various pieces of legislation and strong defamation laws.

However you see the arguments, and I see both arguments. That we've gone from Nicky Winmar standing up against racist comments at the footy with such a strong display, to the average Joe now standing up against racism at the footy is a great thing. Unfortunately it may take another generation of education to push racism further into the past, but this shows me we are slowly on the path to that, but there needs to be more education.

bornadog
22-05-2014, 11:59 AM
I remember in the 1980's going to the footy and supporters yelling out stupid remarks to not only indigenous players but also those of European heritage. Yes it was all a laugh, and if you said something you were the one that was set upon.

Times have changed for the better and now people are dobbing in these idiots. There are still many racists in our society but if we all stand up to these morons, slowly but surely they will be weeded out. As for the moronic idiots in Government, lets hope the senate blocks any changes to the laws, otherwise society is going backwards.

jeemak
22-05-2014, 12:01 PM
One of the strengths the AFL relies upon currently is the crowd being self-policing - to an extent (or at least self-reporting) - and by a relaxation of standards I was referring to a drop in the level of crowd vigilance on the matter.

I won't engage any political aspect of the issue (meaning I'll keep my opinions about the repeal of 18C to myself), that's not what the forum is for.*

*Edit - Sorry BAD, this was not in response to your post.

Mofra
22-05-2014, 01:53 PM
One of the strengths the AFL relies upon currently is the crowd being self-policing - to an extent (or at least self-reporting) - and by a relaxation of standards I was referring to a drop in the level of crowd vigilance on the matter.
This actually works - someone near me yelled out a racist comment towards an Asian opposition supporter last year, and was told in no uncertain terms to pull their head in.

No comments from that poitn onwards were made, and haven't heard anything similar at a game since.

bornadog
22-05-2014, 02:35 PM
This actually works - someone near me yelled out a racist comment towards an Asian opposition supporter last year, and was told in no uncertain terms to pull their head in.

No comments from that point onwards were made, and haven't heard anything similar at a game since.

Also, sometimes better to call security and not get directly involved if the guy looks drunk and agro.

Happy Days
22-05-2014, 03:08 PM
Also, sometimes better to call security and not get directly involved if the guy looks drunk and agro.

Good call; the dickheads who make racist comments are also the dickheads who start fights at the footy.

bornadog
22-05-2014, 03:13 PM
Good call; the dickheads who make racist comments are also the dickheads who start fights at the footy.

Yeah I learnt this from my wife. I was at the Gabba once and a supporter was drunk and being really obnoxious. I was about to say something and she stopped me. She got up and went out the back. A few minutes later the guy was on his way out. :)

Ghost Dog
22-05-2014, 03:22 PM
I don't consider such people to be Bulldogs fans at any rate.
A fan is there to cheer, and even if they wear our colours, it would be deeply hurtful for Liam or Goodsey to hear that crap.
They don't belong to us. If they are prepared to apologise and have the proper understanding of our code of conduct, then welcome.

bulldogtragic
22-05-2014, 03:23 PM
I liked that Peter called us out on it. Doing the right thing is sometimes hard and press around this isn't great, but it's this kind of leadership that inspires people like us at the games to call in security and get them thrown out and banned for life. This is leadership about race from an AFL president, which contrasts what other AFL presidents have done.

Ghost Dog
22-05-2014, 03:27 PM
Actually, I think all fans of every team know there is a racist element within their fold. Not sure too many will judge us because of a few lunatics. Good on you Peter for being on the front foot.

LostDoggy
22-05-2014, 09:19 PM

I would hire the person most different to the rest of the team. It's the only way to grow my team. Those who hire like-for-like are generally the corporate conversative, better not risk it type.

I blame the baby boomers and the next generation. This whole giving medals for simply applying or trying, and worse not keeping the score at footy games is rubbish. My neighbour's kid can recall every score and the final score from every game he has ever played. From my worldly view, it's how you deal with the bad things that happen to you, they are formative life lessons. Leaving these lessons to 20 or more years old is a massive employer problem as young workers as an observation cannot take criticism and cause problems when they do get told they're not perfect and mummies little angel. So many IR problems i've been thrown at me because of this. But alas, I digress.
I agree, I'm only a few years older than that generation and I'm glad I was raised right. The amount of crap I see at work astounds me, my daughter is more mature at 8.

Only a ginger, can call another ginger “ginger”…

jeemak
22-05-2014, 10:52 PM
Only a ginger, can call another ginger “ginger”…

Self loathing gingers! Won't somebody please think about the children?

Remi Moses
23-05-2014, 01:52 AM
Once upon a time people found it offensive to have aboriginals playing football.
Now they find it "Offensive" because an aboriginal has an opinion!
Shame Shame Shame! Some of the shameful vitriol directed at Goodes through social media just shows how many dimwits we have in the world.

jeemak
23-05-2014, 01:59 AM
Once upon a time people found it offensive to have aboriginals playing football.
Now they find it "Offensive" because an aboriginal has an opinion!
Shame Shame Shame! Some of the shameful vitriol directed at Goodes through social media just shows how many dimwits we have in the world.

Actually Remi, I think these instances present a positive tone.

A few people out of maybe 25-30K are racist enough to want to burst out with bigoted vitriol at a football game! Those numbers are actually pretty good.

Poll via social media is a joke. Don't trust it, and don't think it represents a reasonable proportion of the population.

Remi Moses
23-05-2014, 03:04 AM
Actually Remi, I think these instances present a positive tone.

A few people out of maybe 25-30K are racist enough to want to burst out with bigoted vitriol at a football game! Those numbers are actually pretty good.

Poll via social media is a joke. Don't trust it, and don't think it represents a reasonable proportion of the population.

Agree, I get shocked by some of it.To me it's a ringing endorsement of not being on Facebook or Twitter.
Just out of curiosity I googled Shelley Ware from Marngrook( wasn't sure if she once went out with Buckley)
The comments on her just shook me to the bone ( all racially motivated)

bornadog
23-05-2014, 11:01 AM
If you want to see racism at work go to a country sporting match it's disgraceful. My wife's niece played netball with some aboriginal girls up in Shepparton and the racists remarks would make your hair curl. Even the umpire.

Bulldog4life
23-05-2014, 12:53 PM
I might have missed something watching the Swans v Bummers match but I couldn't work out why the Bummer's supporters were booing Adam Goodes all throughout the game. Every time he got the ball. Dimwits.

Greystache
23-05-2014, 01:11 PM
I might have missed something watching the Swans v Bummers match but I couldn't work out why the Bummer's supporters were booing Adam Goodes all throughout the game. Every time he got the ball. Dimwits.

He took a couple of Nick Riewoldt style dives early and got a free kick for one and a 50m penalty and goal for another.

He's always been the umpires love child. I remember him getting 3 votes in the Brownlow late in the season in 2006 to edge out Scotty West for a 16 possession 2 goal game as a midfielder. He was tagged out of the game and kicked 2 goals toward the end when he was moved forward to give himself a hint of respectability on the day.

jeemak
23-05-2014, 01:30 PM
He took a couple of Nick Riewoldt style dives early and got a free kick for one and a 50m penalty and goal for another.

He's always been the umpires love child. I remember him getting 3 votes in the Brownlow late in the season in 2006 to edge out Scotty West for a 16 possession 2 goal game as a midfielder. He was tagged out of the game and kicked 2 goals toward the end when he was moved forward to give himself a hint of respectability on the day.

He was almost embarrassed to receive it.

Greystache
23-05-2014, 01:31 PM
He was almost embarrassed to receive it.

I think you're giving him FAR too much credit.

Bulldog4life
23-05-2014, 04:39 PM

Thanks for that. Bummer supporters are strange beings you can never be sure what or who they are booing sometimes.