PDA

View Full Version : The elephant in the room.

Twodogs
21-05-2014, 12:11 AM
BT had this to say in another thread

This needs a thread of its own, it's such an important list management issue you raise Az.

I'm not sure if Morris has another 60 games in him.
Leaving Bob on 290 odd games, memories of Choco.
The argument from Cross going could be the same as Boyd this year.
Gia is confirmed as moving.
With Cooney's knees, it's not unthinkable he could retire earlier too.

We need to get this right.

BT is right we need a thread that we can list important questions we need answers to.

So I annoint 4 of the 5 questions (not the Gia one, we already know he's hanging the boots up) he has asked above as THE initial discussion points. Discussion points that are will affect us onfield more than any other over the next few years.

My first impressions are:

I didn't think Dale would get to 60 games in his first preseason so it wouldn't surprise me if he played longer than that

I think Murph will play on for 2 years after this. Whether he plays 299 or 300 games doesn't really matter in the overall scheme of things.

I've been surprised with Boyd's form this year but still think he will retire at the end of next year.

Cooney could go either way. He could play on playing amazing footy for 3 or 4 more years or his knee could become so bad he has to step down before his time.

What's everyone else hunk?

The Bulldogs Bite
21-05-2014, 12:44 AM
Once you reach 29/30, decline can come quickly, so nobody can say with any certainty what may or may not happen.

My opinion:

Morris - two years left.
Murphy - signs of decline, but probably another 2 years.
Boyd - end of next year.
Cooney - two years. gut feeling.

Remi Moses
21-05-2014, 12:53 AM
Elephant in the room is exactly right.
On exposed form ( how on earth can you foresee senior players falling off the cliff)
You could mount a case for all three going on next season.
Will the club make a tough call on one to join Gia in retirement?
I'd say Boyd would be the one, as the Roles of Bob and Dale harder to replace.
Cooney is even harder to judge

Twodogs
21-05-2014, 01:27 AM
I'm becoming more confident that we can survive the post Dale Morris period with Easton Wood's form this year when Dale was out injured. I thought he stepped up nicely and did some good jobs on the type you'd expect Morris to take.

always right
21-05-2014, 08:55 AM
I think Morris can play another two years but his role may change slightly where he takes the third tall and leaves the really big jobs to Roughy and Talia.

I'd like to think that Murph can go on for two years but I have the feeling next year might be his last.:(

Boydy strikes me as the type who will play for as long as possible and it will need the club to make the decision for him. One more year I reckon.

Cooney.....who knows? Injury free and he plays for another four......any problems with his knee and he could pull the pin within two years.

wimberga
21-05-2014, 09:38 AM
I think that both Morris and Murphy should get 1+1 contract arrangements (I don't see either of these guys having a reason to leave) whilst Cooney should either get the same deal or a 2 year deal depending on his output this year and how his body is holding up.

Just thinking about Boyd, he is still playing pretty good football.

Would one of the expansions be interested in his strengths (toughness, training, dedication,culture etc) that we could look at a potential trade?

He wouldn't necessarily hold much value alone, but he may just add a little sweetener to help get something over the line?

westdog54
21-05-2014, 09:52 AM
Boyd seems to have a new lease on life this year. I see no reason why he shouldn't go again next year at this stage.

Murphy appears almost Fletcher like as he ages. Hasn't lost fitness, speed or poise.

Morris will go until he drops, and I can't see that being at the end of this year. I haven't completely lost confidence in the development of Young and Talia. They are both learning their craft.

Cooney is an interesting one. Another so seemingly has a new lease on life.

Of The 4, Murphy and Morris are the must keeps at this stage. If simply boils down to the fact that we'd can cover the other two. How we handle that is a decision for folks earning a lot more than I ever will.

Mofra
21-05-2014, 10:17 AM
Boyd wont retire of his own accord - it's a Cross/West scenario. Those types need to be tapped on the shoulder, always a hard situation.

Morris is one who could play longer than people expect - he started late and is super-professional.

bornadog
21-05-2014, 10:42 AM
Cooney said a few years ago that he can't see himself playing on after 30. That was before he received the treatment on his knee cap, so he may well change his mind.

bornadog
21-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Morris is one who could play longer than people expect - he started late and is super-professional.

Morris said earlier this year he wants to play another 5 years. I can't see that happening, but then again who knows.

westdog54
21-05-2014, 08:35 PM
Morris said earlier this year he wants to play another 5 years. I can't see that happening, but then again who knows.

Gotta say I disagree with this one. A bloke with his work ethic and professionalism could play well into his 30s

F'scary
21-05-2014, 11:11 PM
We need all of these blokes for at least another year playing the way they are now.