PDA

View Full Version : Doug's 21 Games at Fitzroy

bulldogtragic
21-05-2014, 12:25 PM
My memory is sketchy, so I defer to those who have better memories.

Were Doug's 21 games at Fitzroy, his last year of footy, were they so bad that we should have cut him?

I remember looking at Doug in their jumper and it felt like as a kid (I imagine) it watching my father dress in full drag, like Pricilla Queen of the Desert style. Sure it's the same man, but it's just hard to take as a kid when he's your idol. Not that there's anything wrong with dressing how you feel comfortable by the way.

But we all being hindsight experts, was Doug's season performance with The Roy Boys so bad that we made the right call to cut him?

1eyedog
21-05-2014, 12:48 PM
IMO from a playing perspective Doug was better for Fitzroy in his last year than Gia has been for us this year. He was slower but still had great skill and kicked some nice goals for them and while he did weave some Dougie magic at times he really failed to impact on games. The pace of the game raced past Doug a bit by 95 and sore, aging knees limited his output. I think we made the right decision even though it was hard to see him in the Fitzroy jumper.

He was named in the best a few times but they were pretty awful as a football club in 95.

Ozza
21-05-2014, 01:32 PM
The way I remember it - Doug was pretty ordinary in his last season at the dogs - apart from the record breaking game where he lifted for the occasion, and one other day out at Waverley when we belted St.Kilda - he was struggling to get the footy.

His 1995 at Fitzroy was better than his 1994 at the Dogs, but he might not have played every week with us.

Remi Moses
22-05-2014, 02:56 AM
It was god awful seeing him in a Fitzroy guernsey.
Classic stand off player thinks he can still go, and club thinks otherwise.
Think Doug was good early( remember him kicking a winning goal in Adelaide)
But he was restricted to a forward pocket role. He was cooked IMHO.

always right
22-05-2014, 09:10 AM
Worst decision Doug ever made. Scratched out a forgettable final year with a basket case club (no disrespect intended) instead of departing the game as a one club player. For me it was all a bit sad and I wonder if it was simply a case of Doug needing the money.

LostDoggy
22-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Went to every game that didn't clash with the Dogs and had two memberships that year. Looking back, he was pretty ordinary, but he was my hero at the time and I thought he was brilliant. :-)

Was devastated when it happened. Took his number off my back and mourned it for 17 years. Hehe. Fanaticism…

jeemak
23-05-2014, 12:33 AM
Worst decision Doug ever made. Scratched out a forgettable final year with a basket case club (no disrespect intended) instead of departing the game as a one club player. For me it was all a bit sad and I wonder if it was simply a case of Doug needing the money.

It was probably more than Doug needing the money (which I'm sure like anyone with limited career prospects facing the end would have to factor in to any decision).

I think he gets underestimated in terms of determination and drive, and if he was honest now he'd probably admit he didn't make the most of his talent when he was able to use it, and his time at Fitzroy was his last effort to prove himself to everyone who doubted him as a dwindling player, and ultimately himself.

That drive of his was never fulfilled due to his lifestyle choices, and the chance of landing at a club like ours when he did. He never stood a chance of going out on top in the traditional sense.