Eastdog
21-05-2014, 01:54 PM
Round 10 Fixture

Date Home vs Away Venue AEST Local TV

Fri 23 May Geelong Cats v North Melbourne Simonds Stadium 7:50pm 7:50pm Seven

Sat 24 May GWS Giants v Richmond GIANTS Stadium 1:40pm 1:40pm Foxtel

Sat 24 May Collingwood v West Coast Eagles MCG 4:40pm 4:40pm Foxtel

Sat 24 May Port Adelaide v Hawthorn Adelaide Oval 7:40pm 7:10pm Seven

Sun 25 May Gold Coast Suns v Western Bulldogs Metricon Stadium 3:20pm 3:20pm Seven

Sun 25 May Carlton v Adelaide Crows MCG 4:40pm 4:40pm Foxtel

Byes: Brisbane Lions, Essendon, Fremantle Dockers, Melbourne, St Kilda, Sydney Swans

Remi Moses
23-05-2014, 11:48 PM
Geelong won this at the start.
Never seen better players that read the play and are great ground ball gatherers.
Norf showed a bit in the second half but the damage was done.
How Brad Scott left Tippet then Hansen on Hawkins was hard to fathom, and then he put Thompson on him.
Would have thought best defender gets best forward.

SlimPickens
24-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Geelong won this at the start.
Never seen better players that read the play and are great ground ball gatherers.
Norf showed a bit in the second half but the damage was done.
How Brad Scott left Tippet then Hansen on Hawkins was hard to fathom, and then he put Thompson on him.
Would have thought best defender gets best forward.

Is Scott Thompson their best defender this year. Seems to be having a pretty disappointing seasons from the footy I have watched him play.

Happy Days
24-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Is Scott Thompson their best defender this year. Seems to be having a pretty disappointing seasons from the footy I have watched him play.

I'm a huge Scott Thompson mark and he is just left with too much to do, considering the rest of their side just refuses to play D. He works best as a Brian Lake-type paying no respect to his opponent and setting up stuff using his underrated kicking and intercept marking. They expect him to continually corral attacks and at the same time totally lock down and it's too much to be expected with no help. Hansen and Tippett are jokes and they have no real other backline prospects (Firrito is still getting games, like seriously what the actual).

I feel sorry for the guy.

Remi Moses
24-05-2014, 02:40 PM

He's their best defender, and granted he hasn't been as good as last season.
Hawkins was monstering them, and they had Tippet( undersized and a fringe player) then he whacked Hansen on him.
Strange

bornadog
24-05-2014, 06:35 PM
GWS are an embarrassment to the competition at the moment. Riewoldt with a lazy 11

bulldogtragic
24-05-2014, 06:49 PM
11 goals without missing! (2 behinds after kicking 11 straight)

I wouldn't mind seeing a player one day kicking 11 for us. Won't bet on that happening anytime soon though.

We need to be targeting the GWS KP players after a game like this. New club, mids who may be able to kick it you, winning, coming home, etc, etc.

bornadog
24-05-2014, 06:51 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a player one day kicking 11 for us. Won't bet on that happening anytime soon though.

He also hit the post in the last as well as passed the ball to Cotchin when he was ten metres out.

Bring back Beasley. Those were the days when he would kick bags of 10, 12, etc.

Remi Moses
24-05-2014, 07:10 PM

We need to be targeting the GWS KP players after a game like this. New club, mids who may be able to kick it you, winning, coming home, etc, etc.

That game was a practice match. The lack of pressure was alarming,and you'd be interested to see how Richmond back up.
The AFL's love child is going backwards

bulldogtragic
24-05-2014, 07:22 PM
Josh Hill showing that glimpse he shows every 5th blue moon.

bulldogtragic
24-05-2014, 07:59 PM
Who says shoot outs aren't good to watch. Enjoyable game WCE vs Woods.

Greystache
24-05-2014, 08:07 PM
That game was a practice match. The lack of pressure was alarming,and you'd be interested to see how Richmond back up.
The AFL's love child is going backwards

I'd like to hear what Dan the flog Lonergan has to say about GWS' form, considering every time we lose a game he rants on about how Cameron should be coaching us and BMac is a dud. He's got all the talent in the world to work with and he's getting nothing out of them.

bornadog
24-05-2014, 08:35 PM
I'd like to hear what Dan the flog Lonergan has to say about GWS' form, considering every time we lose a game he rants on about how Cameron should be coaching us and BMac is a dud. He's got all the talent in the world to work with and he's getting nothing out of them.

So are you saying its Cameron's fault?

GVGjr
24-05-2014, 08:49 PM

I think the point he is making is that Lonergan is like a stuck record after every loss.

Greystache
24-05-2014, 09:12 PM

How did you manage to draw that conclusion from what I posted?

I'm saying he's hardly the messiah Lonergan makes him out to be, that somehow after every loss Cameron in charge would have meant a win. Back to back 100+ point losses to teams outside the 8 is pathetic. By all rights GWS should be improving rapidly in their 3rd season, but they're going backwards, Cameron has to take some of the blame.

Remi Moses
24-05-2014, 09:15 PM

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I know Leon's a rookie coach, but you can't lose like that.
Saw the first half , and how The eagles weren't further up was mind blowing. Their forwards let them down today, and that's a good win from The Pies.Disappointed because I was hoping to press purple for Eddies head with the eagles winning.

boydogs
24-05-2014, 09:19 PM
How did you manage to draw that conclusion from what I posted?

Well there was this

He's got all the talent in the world to work with and he's getting nothing out of them.

And now this

Cameron has to take some of the blame.

Greystache
24-05-2014, 09:21 PM
Well there was this

And now this

And you draw the conclusion that I'm saying it's Cameron's fault? No one else, just him. What a strange conclusion.

bulldogtragic
24-05-2014, 09:28 PM
Imagine how proud we'd be to have a stadium like that (Adelaide) at the Whitten Oval like they've got... But as long as everyone else is getting stadiums, stadium deals, fixtures, big games, AFL handouts, extra priority picks etc, etc. got to wonder why being just a really honest, good values based club that represents such a large & diverse area is punished.

boydogs
24-05-2014, 10:09 PM
And you draw the conclusion that I'm saying it's Cameron's fault? No one else, just him. What a strange conclusion.

He's the only one you mentioned. It wasn't a conclusion anyway, it was a question. No need to give BAD a hard time about it.

The Underdog
24-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Imagine how proud we'd be to have a stadium like that (Adelaide) at the Whitten Oval like they've got... But as long as everyone else is getting stadiums, stadium deals, fixtures, big games, AFL handouts, extra priority picks etc, etc. got to wonder why being just a really honest, good values based club that represents such a large & diverse area is punished.

That large & diverse area could also spend another 10 minutes on the train to watch their team at a stadium that's 15 years old. Of course mostly they don't.

bulldogtragic
24-05-2014, 10:37 PM
That large & diverse area could also spend another 10 minutes on the train to watch their team at a stadium that's 15 years old. Of course mostly they don't.

And that's why we are where we are, and we will keep getting more of the same.

The Underdog
24-05-2014, 10:49 PM
When my team grows up I hope it plays like this Port Power team. Fantastic to watch.

bulldogtragic
24-05-2014, 11:08 PM
When my team grows up I hope it plays like this Port Power team. Fantastic to watch.

How good is it. Their media, especially videos and the like, are just as good. Some of it makes the hair on neck stand tall, can't help but think Koch has risen the bar in that respect too.

Remi Moses
24-05-2014, 11:41 PM
What about the Hawthorn ## whinge after tonight ?
Talk about awful losers.
Great game, but didn't think Port were great. How GWS missed Chad Wingard is unbelievable.
Problem Hawthorn have is they have a few senior players out for long periods.

Remi Moses
24-05-2014, 11:45 PM
And that's why we are where we are, and we will keep getting more of the same.

Yes and that's where Port Adelaide were 2 years ago. Couldn't draw anyone and had sponsor tarpaulins covering AAMI park.
Things can turn, and it's amazing what some wins can do.

bulldogtragic
24-05-2014, 11:45 PM
Watching Leon shattered at the Presser today. Feel sorry for him, the players he's got should be working harder for such a good coach and person. Cal Ward by his side... Well at least he's got buckets of cash.

bornadog
24-05-2014, 11:50 PM
He's the only one you mentioned. It wasn't a conclusion anyway, it was a question. No need to give BAD a hard time about it.

Cheers - you understand how I thought that.

Throughandthrough
25-05-2014, 12:04 AM
I was at the Power/Horks match tonight. Geez Port put on a good event for their fans.

Scorlibo
25-05-2014, 12:12 AM
I was at the Power/Horks match tonight. Geez Port put on a good event for their fans.

It looked amazing. Add to the stadium/atmosphere that they have players like Wingard and Polec who are playing such exciting footy. How I wish we had a stadium to call our own!

bornadog
25-05-2014, 12:21 AM
It looked amazing. Add to the stadium/atmosphere that they have players like Wingard and Polec who are playing such exciting footy. How I wish we had a stadium to call our own!

Apparently they are not making much out of the stadium.

Despite record crowds and - for Port Adelaide - an unprecedented membership high of 53,000, both clubs have been shocked at their poor financial returns from the stadium. Port Adelaide hosted the sold-out Showdown in round two and received a $35,000 cheque as its match-day profit. The Crows are still waiting for the breakdown of their first home game, again Sydney in round three.

Throughandthrough
25-05-2014, 12:29 AM

Yep. And they have one of the youngest lists in the AFL.

I took this photo tonight

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34664426@N04/14258032635/sizes/l/

Sedat
25-05-2014, 01:15 AM
Less than 3 years ago (and 12 months after our last finals series), 10 of the same Power players from tonight lost to the same opponent by 165 points.

I don't mind the idea of slow and steady improvement while we are rebuilding, but equally I don't want to put any ceiling on our upside. Port's upside in the last couple of years, with a large portion of their current playing group still intact from their cellar dwellar days, is a salient lesson to all teams in rebuilding phase (us included). Some long rebuilds never bear any fruit - Carlton are about to start again and didn't even get to week 3 of the finals, Norf's rebuild has given them a 100 point finals flogging and nothing else thus far, and Richmond's rebuild has given them an embarrassing finals loss to a team that wasn't even supposed to be in there. Port started their rebuild much later than all these clubs (probably later than ours) and have whisked past them all. We really should be expecting to make finals in 2015 and staying there for 4+ years thereafter, otherwise we are putting a ceiling on our improvement.

lemmon
25-05-2014, 01:52 AM
So jealous of what Port have managed to build so quickly. Great coach, great players, great brand of footy and a great admin- all the pieces of the puzzle jumped in to place incredibly quickly. The dyed in the wool supporters who were at AAMI stadium when they had to string up tarps must be pinching themselves.

I don't want that to be read as a criticism of our process either, let's hope the slow burn lasts the longest.

Remi Moses
25-05-2014, 01:53 AM
Wouldn't underplay having a decent coach either.