PDA

View Full Version : Trade Targets come Season End??

bulldogtragic
22-05-2014, 12:10 AM
Where should JMac and his band of merry men be hanging around to accidentally bump into players to ask them about moving to a new home? Last year we went big with Stew and cash converter type trade with Darley.

I think the entire 17 teams outside GWS will want Boyd, Cameron or Patton. Realistically, maybe Tomlinson or Jacksch are more gettable. Are they worth getting in a bidding war for?

Looking at what we could trade, its inside mids, and I think Richmond need them most. I think Richmond players by seasons end might want to jump ship too.

I think the year to hit Carlton or Melbourne was last year, same as Brisbane.

I know Geelong have set up the whole sacrifice wages for glory thing, but surely like all empires that ends at some point. Is their empire the one to hit/raid this year? Should we try on getting Balmy's players??

The club has showed a willingness to think big and small on previous years, I wonder where we see targets early on to get in front of.

Remi Moses
22-05-2014, 12:48 AM
Sam Reid for me ( unlikely) Time to cherry pick that manufactured AFL plastic franchise GWS.
Tomlinson, Jacksh

LostDoggy
22-05-2014, 10:18 AM
The question is do they want to trade? Their list and salary cap margins don't come anywhere near the levels of other clubs until 2019. It'll (hopefully) be players who're homesick that'll force their hand to trade. They've got more midfielders than you can point a stick at. While only their second year, players like Lachie Plowman and Jono O'Rouke would start to get a little disillusioned if they're playing every fifth game by seasons end.

It may be that 2014 is a little early.

bornadog
22-05-2014, 11:55 AM
I would love us to throw some big dollars at a KPP. Who that is I don't know. I think we can start to play finals by next year or Macca isn't doing his job, but he needs another KPP, around 25 years old that can grab a mark in the forward line and is mobile. Don't know who it is, but with a bunch of players now getting over 30, there will be a nice gap in the salary cap to say make an offer of around $800k plus.

I need to think about it but lets get bold and go for a flag.

The Pie Man
22-05-2014, 12:00 PM
Sam Reid for me ( unlikely) Time to cherry pick that manufactured AFL plastic franchise GWS.
Tomlinson, Jacksh

He almost looks surplus to requirements in Sydney - will they let go of him with Goodes maybe on his last year?

He'd be a wonderful get

wimberga
22-05-2014, 12:12 PM
I recall a few years ago we were quite keen on Mitch Brown from WCE. Not sure on his contract status, but should we be revisiting him as a potential trade target?

azabob
22-05-2014, 12:31 PM
I recall a few years ago we were quite keen on Mitch Brown from WCE. Not sure on his contract status, but should we be revisiting him as a potential trade target?

I think he isn't suited to the "modern" game from an agility or a speed perspective.

Bulldog Joe
22-05-2014, 12:44 PM
I would also look at Gold Coast.

They have Nicholls, Zac Smith and Charlie Dixon as well as May, Day and Rory Thompson. Can't see how they all fit in a best 22.

DragzLS1
22-05-2014, 12:45 PM
We can't be going for a Patton or Boyd, they simply won't trade. We simply arnt 1 of the attractive clubs to trade to. I would go for Callan ward at the end of next season with of next season when Boyd and a few of the old boys retire. As for kpp I would target talia from Adelaide. Maybe a Jesse White type.

LostDoggy
22-05-2014, 12:51 PM
What about Tim Membrey? Believe he's kicking plenty of goals in the swans reserves

lemmon
22-05-2014, 01:08 PM
What about Tim Membrey? Believe he's kicking plenty of goals in the swans reserves

He's a lot like Crameri from what I've seen. I would be keen if we was a few inches taller but he looks another undersized leading tall

LostDoggy
22-05-2014, 01:24 PM

I have a feeling he signed a 3 year deal with WCE last season.

Mofra
22-05-2014, 01:42 PM
St Kilda were big on him year before last but WCE wouldn't release him from contract - he resigned for a further two years from memory.

Mofra
22-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Only half tongue in cheek - Jack Riewoldt:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmond-coach-damien-hardwick-says-jack-riewoldt-could-lose-spot-in-team-20140522-zrkp5.html

It was a week in which Tigers were criticised for becoming United, but according to Richmond coach Damien Hardwick, Jack Riewoldt could lose his spot in the AFL's team's lineup for not maintaining a united front.

Speaking on Thursday morning following Riewoldt's remarkable comments on Wednesday questioning the decision to reshape the team's gameplan pre-season, Hardwick strongly criticised his mercurial key forward.

"Obviously we were pretty disappointed with his comments, we caught up with him this morning, and we've moved his foot from his mouth and my foot from his arse," Hardwick said.

chef
22-05-2014, 01:57 PM
Carlile from Essendon may want a change of scenery come the end of the season with the way he's been treated this season.

boydogs
22-05-2014, 02:48 PM

They have Nicholls, Zac Smith and Charlie Dixon as well as May, Day and Rory Thompson. Can't see how they all fit in a best 22.

Plus Tom Lynch

lemmon
22-05-2014, 02:53 PM
Plus Tom Lynch

And Gorringe

Happy Days
22-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Dangerfield. Because *!*! it.

bulldogtragic
22-05-2014, 03:25 PM

That a good call. I never saw him in the TAC, but his TAC numbers (goals especially) were excellent. I wasn't too sure if anyone else was paying attention to him, again, good call.

bornadog
22-05-2014, 03:41 PM

Why not, go for it.

Nathan Fyfe says he is open to any offers.

LostDoggy
22-05-2014, 04:25 PM
Patton would be the perfect get. Unfortuantely it looks like they won't let him go. The only hope would be if Tom Boyd came on alot quicker than expected.

Stanley from Saints shows glimpses of tearing games apart. Maybe a change for him could see him florish?

Mofra
22-05-2014, 05:13 PM
Carlile from Essendon may want a change of scenery come the end of the season with the way he's been treated this season.
We can hope but he's contracted until 2015

Ozza
22-05-2014, 05:32 PM

Signed a new 3 year deal last week.

LostDoggy
22-05-2014, 06:08 PM

But they do. Only Nicholls/Smith are contending for the same spot, but with Smiths injuries in the last 12 months they'd see Nicholls as being an ideal replacement over that time.

Remi Moses
22-05-2014, 07:59 PM
Patton would be the perfect get. Unfortuantely it looks like they won't let him go. The only hope would be if Tom Boyd came on alot quicker than expected.

Stanley from Saints shows glimpses of tearing games apart. Maybe a change for him could see him florish?

God no to Stanley.
Classic case of turning a great athlete into a footballer and not working

Mofra
22-05-2014, 08:11 PM
God no to Stanley.
Classic case of turning a great athlete into a footballer and not working
Not a Cam Wight fan eh? :D

Would anyone be a fan of chasing a gun KPD hard and pushing Roughy forward next year?

Solves the pinch-hitting in the ruck issue and we know Roughy follows instructions and sets up well.

Remi Moses
22-05-2014, 08:23 PM

Would anyone be a fan of chasing a gun KPD hard and pushing Roughy forward next year?

Solves the pinch-hitting in the ruck issue and we know Roughy follows instructions and sets up well.
Wight was good with the gloves by all accounts.
Lot of work put into Roughy as a key back, so I reckon he stays there.
Chase a key forward, Sam Reid for me

chef
22-05-2014, 08:28 PM
What would you give up for Reid?

boydogs
22-05-2014, 08:28 PM

I would want to see him do well up forward this season before doing that. When he played as second ruck he was OK up forward but not great

Remi Moses
22-05-2014, 08:35 PM
What would you give up for Reid?

Wouldn't be a first rounder. Second rounder, give them our third. We take their third or fourth.
Not going to happen, and I know he's contracted so the Swans hold the aces, but he's fallen to the back of the queue

LostDoggy
22-05-2014, 08:54 PM
Contracts schmontracts. Trade, and be prepared to pay for what you want, and teams will deal. Maybe not Essendon or Carlton, but there would be a few teams out there willing to make a hard call for the right trade.

I'd like to see us chase Dangerfield, but I'm dreaming.

lemmon
22-05-2014, 08:59 PM

Robbing Peter to short change Paul in my opinion. Roughy was underwhelming early on as a forward/ruck and has found an extremely stable niche. I'd rather we went at the problem head on through the draft or trade. I'm still not convinced we finish high enough to miss out on one of those highly rated big man at the pointy end of the draft.

F'scary
22-05-2014, 09:13 PM

Like your thinking.

1eyedog
22-05-2014, 09:25 PM

Yep me. I remember Roughie pulling in a jumping one-hander in his first year playing CHF and I thought here we go...

I reckon he will make an outstanding CHF providing we get some quality to play FB.

bornadog
23-05-2014, 12:24 AM
THE FIVE UNCONTRACTED GWS PLAYERS FROM 2012 DRAFT

Jono O’Rourke (pick 2, GWS — midfielder) Games: 3

O’Rourke, a No. 2 pick, said pre-draft his preference was to land at the Western Bulldogs, where mate Michael Talia plays.
The polished midfielder who accelerates from contests has managed just three games and has been frustrated by injuries in his 18 months at the Giants.

Lachie Plowman (pick 3, GWS — defender) Games: 11

Kristian Jaksch (pick 14, GWS — key forward/back) Games: 2

Dean Towers (pick 22, Sydney — forward) Games: 0

Tim Membrey (pick 47, Sydney — forward) Games: 0
L (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bidding-war-may-loom-among-afl-clubs-for-opportunitystarved-guns-of-2012-national-draft/story-fni5ezdm-1226927318309)ink

Remi Moses
23-05-2014, 12:25 AM
Robbing Peter to short change Paul in my opinion. Roughy was underwhelming early on as a forward/ruck and has found an extremely stable niche. I'd rather we went at the problem head on through the draft or trade. I'm still not convinced we finish high enough to miss out on one of those highly rated big man at the pointy end of the draft.

Couldn't agree more.
Why play Roughy forward when he's been a resounding success at full back?
Just grab a key forward for crying out loud

DragzLS1
23-05-2014, 12:49 AM
Ide take o'rourke although can we fir him into the side is the question. We have midfielders.. we need a big forward and 2 defenders, 1 with silky skills to give Murphy a break and the other a kpd

jeemak
23-05-2014, 01:01 AM

Couldn't agree more.

Likewise, I don't see any value in stopping Roughead's development as a key defender in the hope he'll fulfill a role up forward as a second string target eventually.

It's the same with our midfield. Some posters are already talking about offloading one of Wallis or Smith in light of having Honeychurch, Bontempelli, Macrae, Hunter and Hrovat waiting in the wings ready to play good footy. The fact is only one of those players has shown they're potentially going to be good enough to command a regular spot in the side at this point in time, while Smith and Wallis have already shown they can fulfill roles at the senior level.

We need to get our players playing well in the positions designated to them before we start counting our chickens from our own side's perspective, let alone worrying about changing them around position wise and or selling them off to other clubs. We're a good year or so away from that yet.

That means if we want to land a good KPP, we need to be bold and do it via the draft. We have a likely low first round pick coming our way this year. Our only play to get a KPP is to give up our first round pick, otherwise it won't happen.

We can talk all we like about changing our line up and offering up players who are almost proven - but aren't guns, though that's not going to land us a good KPP.

azabob
23-05-2014, 09:21 AM
I still think we are lacking a midfielder who has pace and can break the lines, i'd prefer to chase a player like this rather than a KP type.

From memory Towers is a midfielder, does he have pace?

KT31
23-05-2014, 09:49 AM
Anyone of interest here ?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bidding-war-may-loom-among-afl-clubs-for-opportunitystarved-guns-of-2012-national-draft/story-fni5ezdm-1226927318309

Some were keen on Jono O'Rourke in the Draft, is he to injury prone ( jaw injury excluded).
Good mates with Talia and as the article states he named us pre-draft.

LostDoggy
23-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Couldn't agree more.

Sounds easy in theory. Who's a quality key forward we can grab?

wimberga
23-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Anyone of interest here ?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bidding-war-may-loom-among-afl-clubs-for-opportunitystarved-guns-of-2012-national-draft/story-fni5ezdm-1226927318309

Some were keen on Jono O'Rourke in the Draft, is he to injury prone ( jaw injury excluded).
Good mates with Talia and as the article states he named us pre-draft.

Would we look at something like our first rounder + Boyd for Jaksch & O'Rourke?

LostDoggy
23-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Be great to get Jono to the club. He just needs a season of management. Grew up just down the road from where i lived, played for the Gisborne Bulldogs as a junior, supported the Bulldogs. We'd basically have to sell the farm (first pick at least to get him though + change).

KT31
23-05-2014, 10:10 AM

These are the two IMO that would slot in nicely to our structure, not sure Boyd would get the job done and if it did not sure he would want to leave.

First round and Jones ?

1eyedog
23-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Couldn't agree more.

I think we may have one right under our noses and perhaps he's doing his apprencticeship at FB? Who knows. CHF seem harder to find than FBs. See how he goes and then replace him down there with someone solid.

azabob
23-05-2014, 10:36 AM

Im sure we would, but Im also sure that Boyd and GWS wouldn't.

Mofra
23-05-2014, 10:55 AM
Wight was good with the gloves by all accounts.
Lot of work put into Roughy as a key back, so I reckon he stays there.
Chase a key forward, Sam Reid for me
What does Sam Reid possess that Liam Jones doesn't?

It's hard to compare the two as Reid has rarely attracted the no 1 opposition backman.

LostDoggy
23-05-2014, 11:03 AM
Yeah he seems to be quietly going about his business and with the obvious tall options at the Swans he's definitely starved of opportunities. I see he kicked another 4 goals on thew weekend and may even be leading the NEAFL goal kicking??

LostDoggy
23-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Sydney are the blueprint for the bold move we should be looking for.

Picks 1 and 2 plus JJ for Patton and the GwS 3rd round pick.

Offer Patton a $600-$800k/year, 5 or 6 year deal

Or if Hogan wants out; same thing for Melbourne

I wouldn't cherry pick 3rd and 4th stringers. We need to go after the very best talent by throwing big money at them. That's how GWS got Ward. Effectively that's how we got Crameri.

bulldogtragic
23-05-2014, 11:47 AM
Sydney are the blueprint for the bold move we should be looking for.

Picks 1 and 2 plus JJ for Patton and the GwS 3rd round pick.

Offer Patton a $600-$800k/year, 5 or 6 year deal

I wouldn't cherry pick 3rd and 4th stringers. We need to go after the very best talent by throwing big money at them. That's how GWS got Ward. Effectively that's how we got Crameri.

Only problem with that is Sydney got Tippett & Buddy for no ND draft picks. It cost them nothing, other than cash, which they have $900,000 a year more than our club in the salary cap.

Bulldog Joe
23-05-2014, 12:07 PM
These are the two IMO that would slot in nicely to our structure, not sure Boyd would get the job done and if it did not sure he would want to leave.

First round and Jones ?

Why would the be interested in Jones ?

We have already identified that they have a surplus of KPP.

They would probably want Dahlhaus

bulldogtragic
23-05-2014, 12:14 PM
Why would the be interested in Jones ?

We have already identified that they have a surplus of KPP.

They would probably want Dahlhaus

Sorry if I take your comments off track. But if Honeychurch, Hrovat and Hunter all become best 22 players can we afford to hold Dahl out? I can't see how we play 4 players around 175cm, and Darcy MacPherson will be the same size if he is drafted FS.

Sure it's not a pleasant thought as we all love him, but if we can't get a guaranteed KPF with say pick 5, do we package 5 and Dahl to GWS for a Patton and later pick (one they wouldn't use anyway)?

Bulldog Joe
23-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Sorry if I take your comments off track. But if Honeychurch, Hrovat and Hunter all become best 22 players can we afford to hold Dahl out? I can't see how we play 4 players around 175cm, and Darcy MacPherson will be the same size if he is drafted FS.

Sure it's not a pleasant thought as we all love him, but if we can't get a guaranteed KPF with say pick 5, do we package 5 and Dahl to GWS for a Patton and later pick (one they wouldn't use anyway)?

I know we may need do something as radical as that, but I would be hoping that we could package someone like Dickson and picks.

Mofra
23-05-2014, 12:24 PM
You mean the lifelong Demons fan that is in his first year of a minimum two year contract after spending a year on their VFL alignment list last year?

I don't think that's likely to happen.

bulldogtragic
23-05-2014, 12:24 PM
I know we may need do something as radical as that, but I would be hoping that we could package someone like Dickson and picks.

Got to give great talent, to get great talent. If were not guaranteed a top KPP in the draft, and a history of KPP overlooking our club, we need someone like a Patton now for our move up the ladder and a few seasons working out how we operate with someone like him in it with others. Dickson is recently re-signed so it won't be him. Hrovat might be an interesting starting point with pick 5, but they will want Dahl. The question is can we cover him, and how much we want a highly talented gorilla FF for our campaign towards another pre-lim and further?

chef
23-05-2014, 12:45 PM

If we are trading Dickson and picks for a KP then they aint going to be a very good one.

Got to give up quality for quality. Dahl and say pick 3(if that's what we end with) for Patton would be what we would need if we want something decent.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-05-2014, 01:04 PM
I think Dahl is (or should be) untouchable for a variety of reasons.

I would be (hesitantly) open to trading Smith or Hrovat for the right price - would need to be very good though.

Greystache
23-05-2014, 01:23 PM

It's hard to compare the two as Reid has rarely attracted the no 1 opposition backman.

I can't work out the excitement over Reid either, he hasn't improved in 2 years.

If Sydney really rated him they wouldn't have destroyed their salary cap and COLA buying both Franklin AND Tippett.

Greystache
23-05-2014, 01:30 PM
If we are trading Dickson and picks for a KP then they aint going to be a very good one.

Got to give up quality for quality. Dahl and say pick 3(if that's what we end with) for Patton would be what we would need if we want something decent.

Yep I agree with that. That's the sort of pain you would have to take if you wanted to get a genuine quality key forward.

We can't cover Dahlhaus so I wouldn't do it. McRae and our first pick would get it done too, but again we don't have the depth to cover him. We've just blown too many first round draft picks to have the depth to give up a gun and an early draft pick in a trade. I don't think Smith would get it done (and he's about my favourite player), and talk of Wallis having enough value is absurd.

bulldogtragic
23-05-2014, 02:15 PM
I can't work out the excitement over Reid either, he hasn't improved in 2 years.

If Sydney really rated him they wouldn't have destroyed their salary cap and COLA buying both Franklin AND Tippett.

There are no two closer players I can almost ever think of than Liam Jones and Sam Reid, they to me are clones, dead set. I have enough problem with one of them constantly frustrating me, 2 would give me severe hypertension. And to that end, Reid plays 4th tall, can't imagine he'd be any better than Jones at playing 1st tall either. Membrey is the kid to target if the Swans cantal him what other clubs might.

Mofra
23-05-2014, 02:44 PM
I think Dahl is (or should be) untouchable for a variety of reasons.

I would be (hesitantly) open to trading Smith or Hrovat for the right price - would need to be very good though.
I am completely biased towards him but Smith is one player I want to keep above almost all others.
He is made for finals.

Mofra
23-05-2014, 02:45 PM
Good point, although there is already a BF rumour about us going hard after him at this years' trade table (and BF rumours are right almost 2% of the time!)

Agree with bt - we want a player that complements not replicates what he gives us.

LostDoggy
23-05-2014, 03:06 PM
Swans would have Reid earmarked longer term for KP down back. They've got an ageing list of defenders, especially with height. We've seen he's already been tried there.

Remi Moses
23-05-2014, 03:21 PM
Swans would have Reid earmarked longer term for KP down back. They've got an ageing list of defenders, especially with height. We've seen he's already been tried there.

Not sure about him as a Backmen though.
Looked lost in the Hawthorn game a few weeks ago

Remi Moses
23-05-2014, 03:27 PM

Better player than Jones. Last year was a right off for him injury wise, and I'm not saying sell the farm for Reid.
I think most neutral judges would have Reid ahead of Jones. Reid attracted the best defender in their flag year and when he played last season.

Remi Moses
23-05-2014, 03:31 PM

They get an extra million each year.
They haven't destroyed their COLA( although 2017 will be interesting)
They've lost Mummy and got Tippet and Buddy in.

Mofra
23-05-2014, 04:32 PM
Better player than Jones. Last year was a right off for him injury wise, and I'm not saying sell the farm for Reid.
I think most neutral judges would have Reid ahead of Jones. Reid attracted the best defender in their flag year and when he played last season.
Over Goodes?
O'Keefe did a lot of the hard leading in 2012 and Mike Pyke attracted monster defenders too.

Hot_Doggies
23-05-2014, 05:25 PM
There are no two closer players I can almost ever think of than Liam Jones and Sam Reid, they to me are clones, dead set. I have enough problem with one of them constantly frustrating me, 2 would give me severe hypertension. And to that end, Reid plays 4th tall, can't imagine he'd be any better than Jones at playing 1st tall either. Membrey is the kid to target if the Swans cantal him what other clubs might.

Haven't seen much of Membrey this year, obviously you have been watching him closely.

How has he been going?

bulldogtragic
23-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Haven't seen much of Membrey this year, obviously you have been watching him closely.

How has he been going?

I've been more interested in him, than a close watcher. He's been only on my radar as surely Sydney can't keep all their forwards recently drafted, considering Buddy, Tippett, Reid etc, etc. ** But. He's not a KPP, he'd be 190cm by now, more Jarrad Grant than Barry Hall if anyone thinks he's a gorilla FF. But he still has been kicking goals in the twos as well.

His TAC Cup numbers were fascinating or at least interesting, at the time, as on pure output stats, he seemed a good get as low as he was taken, they were:

Tim Membrey

Pick No: 46 (Sydney Swans)
Height: 189cm
Weight: 88kg
Junior Club: Tedas JFC
TAC Cup Season Statistics:
Games: 13*
Kicks: 132 (ave. 10.1)
Handballs: 52 (ave. 4)
Marks: 74 (ave. 5.7)
Goals: 49 (ave. 3.8)
Tackles: 39 (ave. 3)
Highlights:

Finished 3rd on the TAC Cup Goal Kicking Leaderboard for the 2012 Home & Away Season
Representative of the 2012 Vic Country Academy Squad
Selected as a member of the 2012 TAC Cup Team of the Year

Scorlibo
23-05-2014, 06:21 PM
Tim Membrey

Enough said.

Hot_Doggies
23-05-2014, 06:23 PM
I've been more interested in him, than a close watcher. He's been only on my radar as surely Sydney can't keep all their forwards recently drafted, considering Buddy, Tippett, Reid etc, etc. ** But. He's not a KPP, he'd be 190cm by now, more Jarrad Grant than Barry Hall if anyone thinks he's a gorilla FF. But he still has been kicking goals in the twos as well.

His TAC Cup numbers were fascinating or at least interesting, at the time, as on pure output stats, he seemed a good get as low as he was taken, they were:

Tim Membrey

Pick No: 46 (Sydney Swans)
Weight: 88kg
Junior Club: Tedas JFC
TAC Cup Season Statistics:
Games: 13*
Kicks: 132 (ave. 10.1)
Handballs: 52 (ave. 4)
Marks: 74 (ave. 5.7)
Goals: 49 (ave. 3.8)
Tackles: 39 (ave. 3)
Highlights:

Finished 3rd on the TAC Cup Goal Kicking Leaderboard for the 2012 Home & Away Season
Representative of the 2012 Vic Country Academy Squad
Selected as a member of the 2012 TAC Cup Team of the Year

So why is he 'the player we should target'??

Surely you must have more info than 2012 TAC stats

bulldogtragic
23-05-2014, 06:27 PM
Enough said.

I would be open at the right price. And it wouldn't be high at all, but I'd consider him to take the forward position vacated by Gia. If Stringer and Crameri are going to move through the midfield in the longer term plan, he's not a bad acquisition. He's not the KPF to throw the house at, if that's the point.

bulldogtragic
23-05-2014, 06:35 PM
So why is he 'the player we should target'??

Surely you must have more info than 2012 TAC stats

His stats last year were decent too, admitedly at a lower level than VFL. I'm not too sure if I ever said he was the player we should target, particularly in terms of a KPF option, I apologise if I wasn't clear. Just google him and you will get his stats for last few years at various levels. As my post which followed this, I've said he is not a KPP. What he is, is a forward I would look at to take the place Gia has on the list. We don't need more 175cm clever forwards, but if the plan is to move Jake & Stew through the midfield as Macca has suggested as being the longterm plan means we could do with another utility sized forward now with Bob and Higgins in the back half. Quite obviously I wouldn't throw the farm at him, never suggested it. But Sydney as squeezed for forwards, maybe he wants back to Vic and maybe he says he wants to walk to us or trade for very little, so we get a good kids for bugger all, if you call that targeting, or not, make of it as you will. In those circumstances, he would be like a Young or Darley option of taking a highly rated youngster and hoping to further develop them. In the debate of gun KPFs, we are going to need to part with a star or hope to finish top 3 or 4 and that who we do get (McCartin or Goddard, assuming Wright goes higher) makes the grade.

Hot_Doggies
23-05-2014, 06:46 PM
His stats last year were decent too, admitedly at a lower level than VFL. I'm not too sure if I ever said he was the player we should target, particularly in terms of a KPF option, I apologise if I wasn't clear. Just google him and you will get his stats for last few years at various levels. As my post which followed this, I've said he is not a KPP. What he is, is a forward I would look at to take the place Gia has on the list. We don't need more 175cm clever forwards, but if the plan is to move Jake & Stew through the midfield as Macca has suggested as being the longterm plan means we could do with another utility sized forward now with Bob and Higgins in the back half. Quite obviously I wouldn't throw the farm at him, never suggested it. But Sydney as squeezed for forwards, maybe he wants back to Vic and maybe he says he wants to walk to us or trade for very little, so we get a good kids for bugger all, if you call that targeting, or not, make of it as you will. In those circumstances, he would be like a Young or Darley option of taking a highly rated youngster and hoping to further develop them. In the debate of gun KPFs, we are going to need to part with a star or hope to finish top 3 or 4 and that who we do get (McCartin or Goddard, assuming Wright goes higher) makes the grade.

Fair enough.

-you did say 'target Membrey' in post 60.

-Hunter is taller than he looks

-Sam Reid can play

bulldogtragic
23-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Fair enough.

-you did say 'target Membrey' in post 68.

-Hunter is taller than he looks

-Sam Reid can play

Fair enough, I would absolutely target Membrey fwiw as a forward replacement for Gia as I described. I'd promise a nice new club in Victoria and maybe he should look for more opportunities. Maybe walks for pick 4 in the PSD and we get something for nothing. So yes, I would target him as all those other big Sydney forwards will be ahead of him so he doesn't spend another year in the Sydney reserves kicking 50 or whatever he kicked last year. When do you think we targeted Darley, this time last year or after the season?

Reid is nowhere near the top on my list, for what Sydney would want in picks and him in cash, preying on GWS and GCS represents better use of our time and attention IMO.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-05-2014, 07:17 PM
I am completely biased towards him but Smith is one player I want to keep above almost all others.
He is made for finals.

I agree wholeheartedly - there is something special about Smith that you cannot teach. Plays with heart and unrivaled passion; simply hates getting beaten, and this is probably why we can't wait to see him in a big final. Similar to Libba in that regard.

I would only consider a trade if it meant we got a potential superstar KPF. Definitely not something I say lightly - I love watching Smith play.

LostDoggy
12-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Andrew Gaff is out of contract come seasons end. Hasn't exactly set the world on fire yet. But has shown all the qualities of being an elite midfielder in time.

Is quick, big tank and very good disposal. From Victoria too. I would hope we are asking questions atleast.

1eyedog
12-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Andrew Gaff is out of contract come seasons end. Hasn't exactly set the world on fire yet. But has shown all the qualities of being an elite midfielder in time.

Is quick, big tank and very good disposal. From Victoria too. I would hope we are asking questions atleast.

Absolutely he is a very good player already I'm interested!

Mofra
12-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Cut us up in one of the games last year from memory - we just had no answer to his outside run

1eyedog
12-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Cut us up in one of the games last year from memory - we just had no answer to his outside run

Nothing has changed has it we still struggle with fleet-footed players on the outside getting free.

Happy Days
12-06-2014, 12:13 PM

Exactly what we need.

azabob
12-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Exactly what we need.

This comment reminds me of the comment you made in response to my praise of Courtney Barnett. I have no idea if you are being sarcastic or not.... Very amusing indeed...

Ozza
12-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Watching Seedsman from Collingwood on Monday, who had about 10 running bounces for the game, I thought at the time that he is the type of player we could do with across half back.

Wood has some of those attributes, but possibly not the attacking instincts.

Sedat
12-06-2014, 01:27 PM
Gaff makes Wayne Campbell look courageous. Has some very handy attributes but is extremely outside and can get shut out very easily if there's any defensive work put into him. Worth looking at but not if it's a Dutch auction with 3-4 other clubs.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Gaff makes Wayne Campbell look courageous. Has some very handy attributes but is extremely outside and can get shut out very easily if there's any defensive work put into him. Worth looking at but not if it's a Dutch auction with 3-4 other clubs.

Agreed.

Bit of a squib, even though he has some weapons.

1eyedog
12-06-2014, 02:13 PM

When you can carry the ball and kick as good as he can who cares about inside work - we have a plethora of insiders who can do the dirty work at our club. Gaff is a very good outside player and he kicks goals and that's what we need.

KT31
12-06-2014, 05:49 PM

We are going to be looking at a lot of players if this is a prerequisite.

soupman
12-06-2014, 05:58 PM
We are going to be looking at a lot of players if this is a prerequisite.

Having witnessed how many spuds fall in this category at least half of them will be cheap:)

Hot_Doggies
12-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Prefer Gary Rohan over Gaff. Cheaper and IMO has potential to be a better player.

GVGjr
12-06-2014, 07:57 PM

Is he quick, I've seen him a couple of times this year but I think there is a difference between him having pace and doing well when there isn't many around him.

Happy Days
12-06-2014, 09:54 PM
This comment reminds me of the comment you made in response to my praise of Courtney Barnett. I have no idea if you are being sarcastic or not.... Very amusing indeed...

Great, I've become WOOFs first ever meme.

Seriously I think he's a perfect fit. Of the 22 guys we played on the weekend only like 2 can kick and even less can spread. This is pretty much all Gaff does so it would seem that he could add a lot to our side.

Squibs are fine by me, I'm so sick of cracking in that I would be THRILLED to watch the guys downhill ski for all of 2015.

LostDoggy
12-06-2014, 10:10 PM
And if you were another team, you would just sit on Gaff like what happens now and why he isn't much chop, he goes against our recent recruiting ethos of being able to win own ball (which I agree with). Gaff is an Eagleton type who would chop crap teams up and fold in finals - not what we need.

My view is trade Pick 4-6 for Patton - which may be slightly overpaying so maybe swap 2nd round picks as well. I don't think we can afford the time to draft a kid KPP and wait for 5-6 years (like Cordy and Jones) for them to be ready.

FWIW Jones is going to be ok but only as a second fwd - he shone when Baz played.

We aren't too far off. Hopefully we can draft some decent spread and ball users with our second and third picks. Next year may be the year to pick up a top line KPP or ball user in FA or trade period.

I keep wondering what GWS would do if we offered Dale Morris. Howls of protest perhaps, but he is just what they need to stem their backline bleeding for the next year or two, and they are desperate. I just wonder what they would give.

kruder
12-06-2014, 11:44 PM
I agree wholeheartedly - there is something special about Smith that you cannot teach. Plays with heart and unrivaled passion; simply hates getting beaten, and this is probably why we can't wait to see him in a big final. Similar to Libba in that regard.

I would only consider a trade if it meant we got a potential superstar KPF. Definitely not something I say lightly - I love watching Smith play.

How do you enjoy watching him kick the footy?

Greystache
12-06-2014, 11:47 PM
How do you enjoy watching him kick the footy?

He'd be close to the best kick for goal at the club.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-06-2014, 01:42 AM
Yep - I think he does much of his best work in the F50 at this stage of his career, with bursts in the midfield, rather than the other way around. Great goal sense.

LostDoggy
13-06-2014, 08:59 AM
And if you were another team, you would just sit on Gaff like what happens now and why he isn't much chop, he goes against our recent recruiting ethos of being able to win own ball (which I agree with). Gaff is an Eagleton type who would chop crap teams up and fold in finals - not what we need.

My view is trade Pick 4-6 for Patton - which may be slightly overpaying so maybe swap 2nd round picks as well. I don't think we can afford the time to draft a kid KPP and wait for 5-6 years (like Cordy and Jones) for them to be ready.

So we just don't get any speedy outside players in fear they get tagged? The idea would be to have 2 or 3 blokes like this. Like pretty much every other team has. Can't tag them all.

There is no way GWS will take pick 4-6 for Patton. Number 1 pick with years of development put into him. Would need that pick and a decent players before they even take the phone call.

LostDoggy
13-06-2014, 10:15 AM
So we just don't get any speedy outside players in fear they get tagged? The idea would be to have 2 or 3 blokes like this. Like pretty much every other team has. Can't tag them all.

There is no way GWS will take pick 4-6 for Patton. Number 1 pick with years of development put into him. Would need that pick and a decent players before they even take the phone call.

No I love speedy players, just players that can win own ball, defeat a tag and stand up in finals - Gaff ain't one of those.

Patton has knee problems, hasn't done much yet and is out of contract at end of next year and GWS could lose for nothing. Similar pressure led us to trade Lake a year out from his contract finishing. If Patton says he's going, I would think GWS would jump at Pick 4-6 rather than risk losing for nothing to say a StKilda in the PSD next year.

1eyedog
13-06-2014, 10:23 AM

FWIW Jones is going to be ok but only as a second fwd - he shone when Baz played.

We aren't too far off. Hopefully we can draft some decent spread and ball users with our second and third picks. Next year may be the year to pick up a top line KPP or ball user in FA or trade period.

I keep wondering what GWS would do if we offered Dale Morris. Howls of protest perhaps, but he is just what they need to stem their backline bleeding for the next year or two, and they are desperate. I just wonder what they would give.

I'm all up for going after Patton but not picking a player because they are not a contested ball player doesn't make sense. Every team has a player or two on the outside who knows where the goals are. Having a bunch of heavy footed contested ball players is like a fight between Panzers against Mustang Tank Busters. It ain't going to end well for the Panzers. Nathan Eagleton was many things but he was a gut runner and player 250 games for a reason. Every single team needs a player who can breaks lines and kick goals and we have one, Murphy who has 1-2 years left at the club. Outsider runners who kick goals are the type of players who succeed in a good-great team and we plan to be a good-great team in 3 years.

soupman
13-06-2014, 10:27 AM
I'm all up for going after Patton but not picking a player because they are not a contested ball player doesn't make sense. Every team has a player of two on the outside who knows where the goals are.

I don't think anyone is disputing this. We all want an outside player who is quick and knows where the goals are.

I think we are building a side to win finals and not dominate seasons, that means the outside players we pick need to be capable of playing well in finals. Eagleton never did, and there is certainly parallels between Gaff and Eagleton and their ability to handle pressure/a tag/a physical finals like game style.

I think the question isn't "is Gaff is the wrong type of player", but rather "is Gaff is the right one of those players".

1eyedog
13-06-2014, 10:54 AM
I don't think anyone is disputing this. We all want an outside player who is quick and knows where the goals are.

I think we are building a side to win finals and not dominate seasons, that means the outside players we pick need to be capable of playing well in finals. Eagleton never did, and there is certainly parallels between Gaff and Eagleton and their ability to handle pressure/a tag/a physical finals like game style.

I think the question isn't "is Gaff is the wrong type of player", but rather "is Gaff is the right one of those players".

Fair enough. I thought Gaff was one of the Eagles best players in their 2011 final series. A bunch of inside 50s (he lead the club for these last year?), most running bounces in both finals of any Eagles player and over 20 possessions in each game. Love to see those numbers from anyone we can put down there - plus they got flogged but he still made a solid contribution. Still, stats are deceiving. He's very outside but he is always involved. Anyway he wants to stay there and they want to keep him so I'm assuming it's all academic.

Scorlibo
13-06-2014, 03:10 PM

A lot of people seem to remember Eagleton's poor performance in the '09 prelim, but forget that in the 9 finals we played between 2008-2010 that he collected 20 touches or more in 6 of them, kicked goals and was probably BOG against Brisbane in '09.

Mofra
13-06-2014, 03:14 PM
A lot of people seem to remember Eagleton's poor performance in the '09 prelim, but forget that in the 9 finals we played between 2008-2010 that he collected 20 touches or more in 6 of them, kicked goals and was probably BOG against Brisbane in '09.
There is a certain sense of irony in Eagle copping a fair bit of stick over the years, only for us as a club to find out firsthand what happens when you lose outside run.

lemmon
13-06-2014, 04:39 PM
There is a certain sense of irony in Eagle copping a fair bit of stick over the years, only for us as a club to find out firsthand what happens when you lose outside run.
Farren Ray falls into the same boat, just turned 28 but is approached 200 games. Not something to sneeze at

Bulldog4life
13-06-2014, 05:44 PM

Thinking the same thing. Although he was always a favourite of mine

lemmon
13-06-2014, 09:49 PM
I think it was GVG who mentioned him last year but Casboult looks like he's about to become a player

Twodogs
14-06-2014, 01:05 AM
I think it was GVG who mentioned him last year but Casboult looks like he's about to become a player

He's a pretty good contested mark. His kicking and decision making is improving too.

kruder
14-06-2014, 02:48 AM
He'd be close to the best kick for goal at the club.

Lets be honest Grey how many shots at goal a game is he actually having? Just another who compounds our kicking effciency and ball movement issue.