PDA

View Full Version : Scott West in 2008

bornadog
28-10-2007, 12:50 PM
West is now a club legend with a fantastic list of honours:

Player honours: 2nd Brownlow Medal 2000, 2006; 3rd Brownlow Medal 1998; best and fairest 1995, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005; 2nd best and fairest 2001, 2006; All-Australian 1998, 2000, 2004, 2005, 2006 Best Club Person 1999; AFL Rising Star nominee 1993.

He has played 320 games, but is about to turn 33 years old in the next few weeks. Where do you see him playing in 2008? Is he still going to continue playing on the ball out of the centre but spending more time on the bench? Or, do you see his use by date in the modern era has gone and his contribution is diminishing? Can he play an alternative role for 2008, like a tagger, or forward pocket???

LostDoggy
28-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Good question bornadog. I know that West basically plays 4x20 minute quarters and can see that reducing a bit more in 2008. He might be worth the occasional forward pocket assignment as well. Unless he has a stronger than expected season 2008 might be his last for us which I am hoping against.
He has been a fantastic player for us.

BulldogBelle
28-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Scotty West he will always be remembered in my book as someone who gave everything he could to the club and pushed himself to the limits.

I feel his season 2008 will be much the same as this season - time in the centre, time up forward and time on the bench - but I do know one thing he will never give up trying to do his best.

Dry Rot
28-10-2007, 02:32 PM
What happens in the best case scenario for the club (not West)?

ie say Callan is a good and permanent tagger and everyone stays fit (and gets fitter) ie Ray, Higgins, Cooney and Griffen and maybe even Gilbee spend long stays in the midfield, along with Cross and Boyd.

It does raise interesting questions for West and Eagleton.

bornadog
28-10-2007, 02:41 PM
What happens in the best case scenario for the club (not West)?

ie say Callan is a good and permanent tagger and everyone stays fit (and gets fitter) ie Ray, Higgins, Cooney and Griffen and maybe even Gilbee spend long stays in the midfield, along with Cross and Boyd.

It does raise interesting questions for West and Eagleton.

Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking. I know West is a champ, but I think Eade this season must make some hard decisions and not a carry players like we did in 2007 (like Darcy). West is a tough competitor and I have no doubt he will rack up posessions, but he is about to turn 33.

Sockeye Salmon
29-10-2007, 12:52 AM
One thing West has in his favour is that he's never rlied on his pace. Those that do go downhill real quick when they lose a yard (alarm bells ringing with Mr. Akermanis).

Antone that age is one injury away from retirement. West has to be really fit and if he was to do a calf, for instance, 4-6 weeks off and he's playing catchup trying to get his fitness back. From there it's one big downward spiral.

If he stays fit, I can't see any reason why he wouldn't continue to be a significant contributor.

The Underdog
29-10-2007, 08:12 AM
I think that regardless of West's performance in 2008 it is the year that we have to stop relying on him to be the four quarter, dirty work guy. For too long he's been the one guy who can be relied on week in week out. Boyd and Cross are now at a stage where they should be ready to be the in and under guys and to do it consistently. Like West neither are particularly good by foot although Boyd is probably the better of the two, but both can win the ball in a contest like West can. Cooney needs to step up his consistency and his ability to beat a tag. He has been devestating for us on occasion, but he really needs to get his fitness up to a Westy like level and be the guy every week. Assuming Griffen gets a full pre-season and is fit then he should spend some more time in the middle, although i can see us needing to use his run from the back half with Jordy gone.
It's also time for Higgins to get his fitness up and spend some time in the centre. He has the ability to hit a target by foot and should be ready to split his time between the middle and the forward line.
I'm sure West will come out and be the same hard working guy he's always been, but we need to stop relying on him.
I think the problem for Westy will come when he can't do the job in the centre anymore. He's strong enough to be able to play forward but as we all know his kicking isn't particularly reliable. Possibly could move into a back tagging role too. I'm sure he's learnt enough from taggers over the years to know a few tricks.

Mantis
29-10-2007, 09:30 AM
I think the problem for Westy will come when he can't do the job in the centre anymore. He's strong enough to be able to play forward but as we all know his kicking isn't particularly reliable. Possibly could move into a back tagging role too. I'm sure he's learnt enough from taggers over the years to know a few tricks.

I don't we need to try to re-invent a spot in the team for a guy who will be 33 next year. West is a midfileder, end of story when he can't do that job anymore we have to move him on. Not saying it will be this year as I still think he has a fair bit to offer the team. I would be looking for him to play 60-80% of the game and spend the rest on the bench.

I would be hoping that Higgins, Aker, Gia, Harbrow, etc can play the role of small forwards maybe even Lynch. I would also hope that Gilbee, Griffen, Morris and possibly Addison and Callan could play as small defenders. I think all of these offer more in these roles than West does.

macca
29-10-2007, 02:19 PM
the thing I respect about West that he is a professional and gives 110% in his preparation and game. The day he stops doing this he will stop himself from playing the game. WE won't have to move him on, he will know when it is time because he is the geniune real deal, not a pretender who needs to be carried by a team. All his accolades and rewards show this that he wants to be best.

dog town
29-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Take a bit out of the way Rob Harvey and Andrew Thompson have gone on for so long at the saints. Thompson probably squeezed an extra 2 or 3 seasons out of himself and Harvey is just a freak. Will always be a spot for a player with smarts, endeavour and professionalism of West. I suppose alot depends on what style of game we play going into the future.

LostDoggy
30-10-2007, 12:56 AM
I agree with most that has already been said. THis year he had a few niggling injuries for the first time that I can remember, which did seem to affect his game. But being the champion he is - if he felt that he couldn't do it anymore - he would simply retire. He would make a fantastic conditioning coach:)

Bulldog Revolution
30-10-2007, 08:27 AM
I don't we need to try to re-invent a spot in the team for a guy who will be 33 next year. West is a midfileder, end of story when he can't do that job anymore we have to move him on. Not saying it will be this year as I still think he has a fair bit to offer the team. I would be looking for him to play 60-80% of the game and spend the rest on the bench.

I would be hoping that Higgins, Aker, Gia, Harbrow, etc can play the role of small forwards maybe even Lynch. I would also hope that Gilbee, Griffen, Morris and possibly Addison and Callan could play as small defenders. I think all of these offer more in these roles than West does.

Those are my thoughts also Mantis

Its questionable as to whether we have ever had a more determined and driven footballer than West - his ability to consistently play at a high level and miss very few games is testimony to him. I dont want to write him off to much because he's perhaps the most inspiring player I've ever seen.

dog town
30-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Lets not forget he was still top 5 in the comp this season for average disposals despite carrying his leg for half the year. On form I dont think we have that much to worry about with West other than a gradual reduction in work load. The hard part is balancing rewarding Westy for his current form by keeping him in the midfield while also developing for the future by giving other players a shot in the centre square.

Mantis
30-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Lets not forget he was still top 5 in the comp this season for average disposals despite carrying his leg for half the year. On form I dont think we have that much to worry about with West other than a gradual reduction in work load. The hard part is balancing rewarding Westy for his current form by keeping him in the midfield while also developing for the future by giving other players a shot in the centre square.

And where did that get us??

Not being just critical of West, but our midfield needs a big shake-up. It was one of the reasons why we were so poor this year. I would hope we can inject some new blood (Higgins, Griffen, Addison, Callan, etc) into the mix to work with West and co. to allow us to win more clearances and play a more accountable style.

dog town
30-10-2007, 01:01 PM
And where did that get us??

Not being just critical of West, but our midfield needs a big shake-up. It was one of the reasons why we were so poor this year. I would hope we can inject some new blood (Higgins, Griffen, Addison, Callan, etc) into the mix to work with West and co. to allow us to win more clearances and play a more accountable style.
I agree it needs a shake up but you dont just throw him out of it. Plenty of room for a guy with his hands, smarts and tackling. He himself has said he might need to play the odd tagging role for the team to go places. He could play pretty tightly to reduce the effect of an opposition midfielder while still getting the ball himself. Never going to play as a pure lock down tagger though. I just wouldn't underestimate Westy.

LardDog
31-10-2007, 11:55 PM
I think Westy still has a couple of good seasons in him, looking forward to his 350th in 2009, might be a little premature, but here's hoping! I think he'll still be very effective in the midfield with some backup from cross and boyd. We might be able to rest him the odd game to let his aging legs/groin last a bit longer. With his injuries this year he was really starting to look his age on the field, lets hope he is back next year in fine form again.

wimberga
06-11-2007, 03:25 PM
the thing I respect about West that he is a professional and gives 110% in his preparation and game. The day he stops doing this he will stop himself from playing the game. WE won't have to move him on, he will know when it is time because he is the geniune real deal, not a pretender who needs to be carried by a team. All his accolades and rewards show this that he wants to be best.

Totally agree Macca. The minute Westy see's that what he can contribute to the team is inferior to need, he will pull out. I think he will break Chris Grants all time games record, but cant see him playing on much between that. His possesions are not the most damaging, but he is one player that gets plenty of possesion and yet acknowledges there are bigger things in a football match ie; laying inspirational tackles. Anyone remember that game he turned in the final quarter by himself? think it might have been against Port. Regardless, Westy will continue to play until he see's his influence on games diminished, be that this season or 2015. I hope for the latter:D