PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 10

Eastdog
22-05-2014, 01:05 AM
This is the round 10 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Gold Coast Suns is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
25-05-2014, 06:42 PM
We can go with 4 anchors today if necessary

LostDoggy
25-05-2014, 07:16 PM
Bankers:
1. Pickens for his effort on Ablett
2. Griffen for standing up as captain
3. A good first half effort where half their goals were gifted to them

Anchors:

1. That long nap we took in the third quarter
2. Leigh Fisher for falling for Matera's obvious acting for frees
3. Fox's biased commentary and lack of replays of dubious frees against us.

bornadog
25-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Fox's biased commentary and lack of replays of dubious frees against us.

That was channel 7

Bumper Bulldogs
25-05-2014, 07:25 PM
Bankers
Picken - you are just fantastic
Griff - you are amazing and running back into form withe very game
Libba - thank God Tony had a son

Anchors
Goodes - Thats it for the rest of your contract time at the kennel
Stevens - How many times can one person get opportunities after repeatedly making the same mistakes
Crameri - I'm starting to think that your a down hill skier, We didn't pick you up to play like this. With Jones out I really expected a lot more from you but you failed to impact a contest and looked totally uninterested

lemmon
25-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Bankers:
Griff- is finding some great form
Picken- Looks like a scraggy little mutt but is a gold nugget, tough as a cats head and will do anything for his side
Dahl- didn't do much of the flashy stuff but was industrious on the inside. A bit of an indictment that he isn't the guy being fed though for mine

Anchors-
Forward structure- I yearn for the day a bulldog forward takes a mark on the lead
Goodes- A good story, pity it will only last two years
That second half, no need to say anymore

always right
25-05-2014, 08:07 PM
B
Picken.......against a player many rate as the best ever, his was an outstanding effort.
Griffen.....tried to lift others around him
Libba....does not know how to give up

A
Three of our ins had zero impact on the game. Smith, Goodes and Stevens
The umpiring in the first half....outrageous yet hardly a comment made by the channel 7 clowns who were too busy talking up GC
Crameri......earn your money and see if you can gather the ball without fumbling

boydogs
25-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Bankers

Picken - Best job anyone has done on Ablett for ages, from any team
Griffen - Energetic through the middle when the rest of the side looked flat footed and slow
Liberatore - Clearance & tackling machine

Anchors

Our hour-long half time break
Having our sub as the only player leading at the man with the footy
Stevens - turnover central in open play

F'scary
25-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Bankers: the guys who didn't give up in the third quarter: Griff, Wood and Boyd in particular.

Anchors:
Goodes - not up to AFL standard, dud upgrade.
Stevens - speculative recruitment using pick 40something but not up to the standard required.
Roberts - too weedy to have any impact as a tall player. Why can't we get beefy tall guys?

LostDoggy
25-05-2014, 10:25 PM
Bankers
Picken- did the job on Ablett would have been great if he had of kicked those goals
Dahlhaus -gives his all solid contributor
Griff- getting back to his usual self sometimes tries to do too much

Anchors
Crammers- starved of opportunity but did nothing when given the chance
Will - fumbled slow hands
Boyd - costly turn overs by hand and foot

soupman
25-05-2014, 10:51 PM
Bankers:

Picken: Outstanding effort. For a guy who coming into each of the last couple of seasons has had question marks over his status in our best 22 and whether he should be picked ahead of guys like Wallis he has proved us wrong again and been outstanding all year. Today's effort was fantastic.

Wood: Another player that has had a season to defy the question marks over his status and put in another very good game today.

Dahlhaus: ATM he is playing a new role where he isn't as often kept in the forward 50 and is instead regularly getting 20+ touches up the ground. Not necessarily as influential as the first position, but continues to apply himself well and I think we will start to see him become more damaging more times in the long run. A bit of short term pain for long term gain.

Anchors:
The side that ran out after halftime: WTF? After a half where we were competitive and arguably the better side we absolutely capitulated in one of the worst quarters of a bleak last few years. Extremely disappointing and worrying.

Failing to take our chances: Another week where we failed to hurt the opposition when we could and got punished for it. Picken, Tutt and others that slip my mind missed gettable goals that could have really put scoreboard pressure on, and instead we missed these chances and the Suns hurt us the other way. This has happened throughout the season and we need to be a side that takes all our chances.

Channel 7: The commentator Gablett/GC love in, the inability to replay anything related to the game unless it involved Gary's conference with the umpires, the highlighting and continuos replays of certain incidents ie. the advantage we got but the complete lack of interest in blatant stuff ups like the Matera high free. And for each of Tutt's set shots they did the exact same routine, as if they had practiced it beforehand "He is a goalkicker this Tutt...remember his first game, did you know he kicked goals with his first 3 kicks, and he finished with 4 that game didn't he, he hasn't kicked on sicne but looks like he is starting to put the pieces together etc".

SonofScray
25-05-2014, 11:32 PM
Bankers:

Tutt - provided us with the most exciting individual effort of the game, didn't finish but mostly has shown me he can sniff a goal.
Wood - continued his form, took the game on.
Picken - great tagging job. Ablett deserves weeks for elbowing him in the face.

Anchors:

Entire squad in the 2nd half - insipid.
Head collisions - O'Meara on Smith / Cooney on Ablett - same same, but different. I wonder why?
Our ability to convert work into goals. Never cash in on momentum.

Remi Moses
25-05-2014, 11:43 PM
Bankers - Picken, what a fantastic competitor (up there with Libba snr for that aspect)
Libba Jnr see above
Griffen never whinges unlike the other bloke who whinged it up
Anchors the third quarter was diabolical and embarrassing.
The Gold Coast lack of crowd. Playing great footy, where were they?Dont start me on that trumpet bit after a goal!
Could they be more plastic?

LostDoggy
25-05-2014, 11:56 PM
Three of our ins had zero impact on the game. Smith, Goodes and Stevens
I agree he struggled to get into things, but consider he's come back from a pretty serious injury in his first game since Round 16 last year and I'd say an anchor is a bit harsh.

Roberts - too weedy to have any impact as a tall player. Why can't we get beefy tall guys?
Takes time to develop that bulk. He's 21 next week, can count his senior games on one hand. I thought he did alright.

Picken - great tagging job. Ablett deserves weeks for elbowing him in the face.
Picken would've loved it.

Bankers:

1. Picks for sure. Nuff said already.
2. Bontempelli didn't get much of it but looked composed and clever when he did. Good effort for a young guy.
3. Ablett's elbow. Hope he gets a week so the media and bookies will go bananas.

Anchors:

3. The bye. Kills us every season.
2. Libba laying more tackles than the entire back line.
1. Will finally winning the ruck when the midfield is asleep.

Remi Moses
26-05-2014, 02:26 AM
An added Anchor to Andrew Hamilton of the Murdoch press.
How on earth could you not have Pickens in the best??

LostDoggy
26-05-2014, 07:52 AM
Didn't watch the game.

SlimPickens
26-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Banker-
Picken- not going to overstate it but played his roll for the team to a very high level.

Libba- monster in the contested situations and seems to be the only bloke willing to fly the flag for the team.

Macrae- Another very good performance by the young bloke

Anchors-

Will Minson- got badly beaten yesterday. A shadow of the player last year. Ineffective possessions and poor around the clearances.

Boyd- Disposal in the third was putrid.

Forward line- Not sure what Shannon Grant is doing up there. I don't care how tall you are, you can still play in front and provide an option.

always right
26-05-2014, 11:08 AM

I emailed this bloke and asked why he didn't consider Picken to be in our best. He claims that Picken was great in the first half but let Ablett off the chain which led to GC blowing the game apart. Staggering really.

Mofra
26-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Bankers:
1. Libba, just sheer effort
2. Griff. constantly broke lines and took 2-3 opponents on
3. Smith & Roughy got through the game and will be better for the run

Anchors:
1. Stevens is a very good footballer with woeful vision. Tries to do too much and gets caught out.
2. Cooney report & one of the free kicks in the 3rd - players go for the ball. It's called a contest.
3. Missing chances in the first half. We should have been 15-20 points up at half time

jeemak
26-05-2014, 11:39 AM
Bankers:

Griffen - Just superb at trying to get us moving from the contest and be offensive with run and carry. Like another poster has said, takes the holding on and scragging (which happens to him as much as any player I've witnessed) with grace and just gets on with the job

Liberatore - Fantastic effort to record 12 tackles and grind out the possessions he did. We really need to make the most of his talents by surrounding him with at least one more offensive midfielder

Picken - Great effort on Ablett. I can understand Gary Jnr having the odd sook, if being groped, held and belted unfairly but if I've ever seen a player get looked after it's him and I didn't see much wrong with what Picken did yesterday

Anchors:

Macrae and Murphy for not being able to lay a single tackle between them. That is seriously unacceptable at senior AFL level particularly if you've played the entire game

Unwillingness to adjust to the changed circumstances after half time. Getting goal side of a midfielder and playing tight isn't difficult, particularly for a ten minute burst after the half time break when you should be refreshed and able to concentrate. Poor showing from those around the middle of the ground

Conspicuous decisions not to replay critical free kicks by the broadcaster

azabob
26-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Bankers:

Liberatore - Fantastic effort to record 12 tackles and grind out the possessions he did. We really need to make the most of his talents by surrounding him with at least one more offensive midfielder

Interesting point. Do you think we should chase/draft said offensive midfielder moreso than a key position forward?

My veiw is we need an offensive midfield more than a key forward.

jeemak
26-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Interesting point. Do you think we should chase/draft said offensive midfielder moreso than a key position forward?

My veiw is we need an offensive midfield more than a key forward.

A key forward wouldn't have done a great deal to turn around the midfield battle that was going severely against us in the 3rd quarter, but may have helped us make more of our entries throughout the game in general.

I am of the opinion you can't have enough quality key forward prospects on your list, and if we are in a position to land a genuinely tall and strong bodied forward with the appropriate level of talent with our first draft pick then we need to pull the trigger and select him - providing there's no obvious alternative midfield talent that specifically addresses our needs for outside run and polish.

Confused?

I suppose I'm at a point where if all things are equal, we need to take the KPF rather than the polished outside midfielder. I think you can strategise through the midfield to lessen the impact a lack of polish has on a result more easily than you can for a poorly structured or undersized forward line.

azabob
26-05-2014, 12:40 PM
A key forward wouldn't have done a great deal to turn around the midfield battle that was going severely against us in the 3rd quarter, but may have helped us make more of our entries throughout the game in general.

I am of the opinion you can't have enough quality key forward prospects on your list, and if we are in a position to land a genuinely tall and strong bodied forward with the appropriate level of talent with our first draft pick then we need to pull the trigger and select him - providing there's no obvious alternative midfield talent that specifically addresses our needs for outside run and polish.

Confused?

I suppose I'm at a point where if all things are equal, we need to take the KPF rather than the polished outside midfielder. I think you can strategise through the midfield to lessen the impact a lack of polish has on a result more easily than you can for a poorly structured or undersized forward line.

Its a tough one. It does appear clubs err on the side of caution and take best avaialbe.

jeemak
26-05-2014, 12:56 PM
Its a tough one. It does appear clubs err on the side of caution and take best avaialbe.

Just to clarify, under no circumstances should we reach for a KPF with our first pick. Whoever we pick must be genuinely talented enough to warrant selection at that point in the draft.

Ghost Dog
28-05-2014, 10:36 AM
You will always get smaller players who will surprise ( Dahlhaus ), found in the rookie list or elsewhere. They can go in the midfield.
KPF are hard to find. And the way the modern game is played, even one is not always enough, considering the likely event of injury.

KT31
28-05-2014, 02:02 PM
Bankers:
Smith & Roughy got through the game and will be better for the run

We couldn't be that lucky.:(