PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee- Round 11 vs Fremantle

Eastdog
22-05-2014, 01:08 AM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 11 game against Fremantle at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
25-05-2014, 06:37 PM
5 changes last week so I expect we would need 5 more this week

LostDoggy
25-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Footscray in for Western Bulldogs??????

bulldogtragic
25-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Footscray in for Western Bulldogs??????

Couldn't be any worse. This is 0/10 stuff.

G-Mo77
25-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Would Redpath be a chance. Final year as a rookie would it hurt to give him some games?

bulldogtragic
25-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Would Redpath be a chance. Final year as a rookie would it hurt to give him some games?

Is that for Dickson (LTIL) GMo?

G-Mo77
25-05-2014, 06:58 PM
Is that for Dickson (LTIL) GMo?

Yep. We've got a chance to try him out. Roll out Austin again or even give Greenwood a shot. I'd try Redpath out of them all.

bulldogtragic
25-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Yep. We've got a chance to try him out. Roll out Austin again or even give Greenwood a shot. I'd try Redpath out of them all.

Roll the dice... I tend to agree.

azabob
25-05-2014, 07:09 PM
If we play Redpath we need to give him five games in a row, as long as he does the defensive things he should. Which I understand has been a knock on him in the past.

Rocco Jones
25-05-2014, 07:12 PM
In/ Hrovat, Grant, Redpath
Out/ Goodes, Bonti, Stevens

Harsh on Bonti. Great talent just a bit raw/not ready. Think VFL is best for his development anyway.

Would also look at trying to bring in JJ, possibly for Stringer but bit harsh to drop a guy who is playing out of position.

bornadog
25-05-2014, 07:13 PM
In: Redpath, Hrovat, Howard, Grant

Out: Goodes, Stevens, Gia, Bonti

Bumper Bulldogs
25-05-2014, 07:14 PM
OK I'll give it a shot (If nothing but to get the thread off and going)

Out; Goodes, Stevens & Stringer

Goodes - I think the game has gone past you now
Stevens - You just don't have enough skill and poor awareness and poor decision making
Stringer - Your not a backman and don't have the tank required to run off 1/2 back.

Ins:
Campbell - we need a guy that takes a mark i the forward 50
Hunter - Need a little sneaky boy in the forward 50 (Murphy didn't work out today)
Hrovat - We need to take the game on and run.

Rocco Jones
25-05-2014, 07:16 PM
Ins:
Campbell - we need a guy that takes a mark i the forward 50

I have been to a few Footscray games this year and he struggles to do that at VFL level.

I actually rate him long term but atm is a massive liability up forward. A massive sacrifice to pay for about 10-15% TOG in the ruck.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-05-2014, 07:22 PM
I think we need to play Redpath and as suggested above, give him a 4 or 5 week block to show something.

Bumper Bulldogs
25-05-2014, 07:29 PM
I have been to a few Footscray games this year and he struggles to do that at VFL level.

I actually rate him long term but atm is a massive liability up forward. A massive sacrifice to pay for about 10-15% TOG in the ruck.
Well I'm of the view that the year is over and think that we have actually gone backwards on last year (even with the injuries we know about) I think against the crows he provided a target and straighten us up a little. When Jones is back I think he would ned to earn the spot but with him up at FF, I think Stew would benefit also

Pickenitup
25-05-2014, 07:36 PM
In Redpath Hrovat Grant
Out Goodes stevens Bonti

GVGjr
25-05-2014, 07:38 PM
I'll have another look at this next week but at the moment I'd go with

Ins - Williams, Johannisen, Grant and Austin (Rookie List)

Out's - Goodes, Bonts, Stevens and Roberts

GVGjr
25-05-2014, 07:39 PM

Ins - Williams, Johannisen, Grant and Austin

Happy to consider Hunter or Hrovat for Gia

Before I Die
25-05-2014, 07:53 PM
Williams deserves to come straight in if he is fit. Same with Grant if the mc are satisfied his body is ready. Do we think Cooney will be safe and there is the question of Picken's bitch slap on the golden child.

In: Williams, Hrovat, Grant

Out: Goodes, Stevens, ??? (maybe Bonts or Cooney if the MRP enforce the ablett rule)

Remi Moses
25-05-2014, 08:01 PM

Out: Goodes, Stevens, Gia, Bonti

With you but I'd have possibly Roberts out instead of Gia
I think the Goodes experiment needs to be finished . Now or never for Howard
I'd like Redpath to get a gig

always right
25-05-2014, 08:18 PM
In:

Grant, Williams

Out:

Stevens, Goodes

The Pie Man
25-05-2014, 08:25 PM
In:

Grant, Williams

Out:

Stevens, Goodes

Agree with this - wouldn't object to Redpath getting a crack, not sure who for though.

Please please don't drop the Bont

boydogs
25-05-2014, 08:48 PM
Out: Goodes, Stevens, Cooney (susp), Roberts
In: Johannisen, Redpath, Grant, Williams

lemmon
25-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Agree with this - wouldn't object to Redpath getting a crack, not sure who for though.

Please please don't drop the Bont

He's obviously a talent but does he bring what we need to the midfield? He's very inside at this stage

GVGjr
25-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Out: Goodes, Stevens, Cooney (susp), Roberts
In: Johannisen, Redpath, Grant, Williams

I think we are pretty close on selections. I'm just not sure on Redpath but I guess it might be worth rolling the dice.

LostDoggy
25-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Who was Roberts playing on?
I thought some of players in the midfield who were really lazy in the second half would be more likely to be in the firing line.

always right
25-05-2014, 08:55 PM
He's obviously a talent but does he bring what we need to the midfield? He's very inside at this stage

I don't want to see him elevated then dropped straight away. It serves no purpose.

The more games we get into him this year, the sooner he will become the weapon we hope for in future years. Play blokes we see as our future.

GVGjr
25-05-2014, 09:00 PM
I don't want to see him elevated then dropped straight away. It serves no purpose.

The more games we get into him this year, the sooner he will become the weapon we hope for in future years. Play blokes we see as our future.

I think we need to pick our sides though. Fremantle might not be one of them. Brisbane the following week would be better.

F'scary
25-05-2014, 09:02 PM
Cooney won't be suspended. He got to the ball before Ablett and both were going in low.

G-Mo77
25-05-2014, 09:13 PM
Cooney won't be suspended. He got to the ball before Ablett and both were going in low.

We'll see.

Cooney Suspended $1.50
Cooney Reprimand $1.25
Cooney cleared $5.15

F'scary
25-05-2014, 09:55 PM
Out: Roberts, Gia (now is the time to start playing for the future)

Out & don't come back: Goodes, Stevens.

In: Williams, Hrovat, Honeychurch, Redpath.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-05-2014, 10:18 PM

Ins - Williams, Johannisen, Grant and Austin (Rookie List)

What role do you see Austin playing? I am guessing a spot down back.

Personally, I don't see how Austin even survives being delisted post this season so I don't see the point of elevating him. Very limited player who is OK at VFL level, but he has no future at the elite level.

I'd much rather persist with Roberts.

Rocco Jones
25-05-2014, 10:48 PM
We'll see.

Cooney Suspended $1.50
Cooney Reprimand $1.25
Cooney cleared $5.15

Two options pay $1.50 or less = a bit of a rip-off!!!

Rocco Jones
25-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Was Roberts that bad today?

bornadog
25-05-2014, 10:51 PM

Personally, I don't see how Austin even survives being delisted post this season so I don't see the point of elevating him. Very limited player who is OK at VFL level, but he has no future at the elite level.

This ^^^

soupman
25-05-2014, 10:56 PM
Was Roberts that bad today?

No. He was fine. Wasn't a liability in the ruck either which was nice.

GVGjr
25-05-2014, 11:35 PM

3rd tall defender allowing Roughead to be used in the ruck from time to time. That would fix a huge hole we have trying to find a better part time ruck option than Jones or Williams.
I can see the temptation with Roberts but Austin looked okay yesterday.

As I mentioned earlier I'm not discounting Jack but does he really give us the balance we are looking for?

jeemak
25-05-2014, 11:50 PM
In:

Grant, Williams and Howard

Out:

Goodes, Cooney (susp) and Bontempelli

Being in the top couple in consecutive weeks should see Howard get a game replacing Goodes. Bontempelli is too raw for now. Cooney is gone, but he shouldn't be. He was going the ball and he hardly made an impact on the Golden Child but who cares, the league has gone so far up its own arse with this sort of thing he's screwed anyway.

Bulldog4life
25-05-2014, 11:56 PM
No. He was fine. Wasn't a liability in the ruck either which was nice.

Yes I thought Roberts did quite good in the small amount of ruck time he had. But god he is slow...I never realized how slow he is.

always right
26-05-2014, 12:02 AM
Yes I thought Roberts did quite good in the small amount of ruck time he had. But god he is slow...I never realized how slow he is.

It's almost a pre requisite in our team nowadays.

GVGjr
26-05-2014, 12:07 AM

Its the reason why I think he needs more time at Footscray.

G-Mo77
26-05-2014, 03:02 AM

Seems that way to me as well. Still I'd like to give him another week or so at senior level.

Ins: Grant, Redpath, Hrovat, Williams
Outs: Goodes, Gia, Stevens and we'll lose Cooney for at least one week.

SlimPickens
26-05-2014, 10:13 AM
In: Campbell, Hrovat, Williams, Grant

Out: Minson, Gia, Cooney (suspended or not), Goodes

bornadog
26-05-2014, 10:16 AM
In: Campbell, Hrovat, Williams, Grant

Out: Minson, Gia, Cooney (suspended or not), Goodes

Why Minson?

Ozza
26-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Out: Goodes, Stevens
In: Johannisen,Grant

Hoping Smith and Bontempelli will be better for the run/experience.

SlimPickens
26-05-2014, 10:52 AM
Why Minson?

Don't feel like he is offering us nearly enough as a senior player. His work around the clearances has been poor and his ability to mark and link up around the ground non existent. Thought he was very poor yesterday against a young ruckman coming back from a knee injury.

bornadog
26-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Don't feel like he is offering us nearly enough as a senior player. His work around the clearances has been poor and his ability to mark and link up around the ground non existent. Thought he was very poor yesterday against a young ruckman coming back from a knee injury.

Smith was smashed in the ruck 42 to 22. Disposals were the same, Cont Poss 7 to 5, Cont Marks 2 each, tackles 5 to 3.

I think Zac was ineffectual.

always right
26-05-2014, 11:13 AM

Thought his ruck work was okay and you can never doubt his effort. Teams are all over him when the ball gets in his hands though which is leading to turnovers. He's had a pretty ordinary season but not even close to being dropped IMHO.

SlimPickens
26-05-2014, 12:08 PM
Smith was smashed in the ruck 42 to 22. Disposals were the same, Cont Poss 7 to 5, Cont Marks 2 each, tackles 5 to 3.

I think Zac was ineffectual.

Thought we were talking about Minson? Smith is a young ruckman who is in his second game back from
A knee reconstruction. Will by all rights should of smashed him, he did not. Wills disposal efficiency was 36%, Smiths was 81%. We won the centre clearance but lost the stoppage clearances. A good ruckman needs to offer a lot more than winning the hitout count. I personally feel Will is offering us very little at the moment, hence my call for him to be dropped.

SlimPickens
26-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Thought his ruck work was okay and you can never doubt his effort. Teams are all over him when the ball gets in his hands though which is leading to turnovers. He's had a pretty ordinary season but not even close to being dropped IMHO.

Why shouldn't he be accountable for his performance with his place in the team? He set a very high bar last year and has got nowhere near that level this year. I don't think he should be immune to scrutiny on his position after performances like yesterday.

Dancin' Douggy
26-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Out.
Griffen, Cooney, Macrae, Dalhaus, Murphy, Picken, Boyd, Wood, Crameri, Higgins, Liberatore, Minson.
In.
Austin, Cordy, Darley, Dickson, (in a cast). Fuller, Jong, Prudden, Pearce, (if he can walk down the race without crutches he's in) Williams (ditto). Young, Talia, Hrovat.

And start barracking for Melbourne and the Saints.

SlimPickens
26-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Out.
Griffen, Cooney, Macrae, Dalhaus, Murphy, Picken, Boyd, Wood, Crameri, Higgins, Liberatore, Minson.
In.
Austin, Cordy, Darley, Dickson, (in a cast). Fuller, Jong, Prudden, Pearce, (if he can walk down the race without crutches he's in) Williams (ditto). Young, Talia, Hrovat.

And start barracking for Melbourne and the Saints.

Who's this "in a cast" bloke. Is he tall, does he play forward?;)

Dancin' Douggy
26-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Heh heh

Dry Rot
26-05-2014, 02:29 PM

He's quicker than Bontempelli which is a real worry.

craigsahibee
26-05-2014, 03:11 PM
Outs : Goodes, Stevens, Gia, Cooney*

Ins : Talia, Grant, Hrovat, JJ*

*pending MRP analysis.

How much fun will it be to see Picken vs Ballantyne this week?

Ozza
26-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Is the reason most are suggesting Gia to be dropped purely because he is not the future?

I can only think that this is the case and that posters want to play a young player as the sub - because on 'Best 22' - particular as the sub to come on and have an impact, Gia should still be picked.

craigsahibee
26-05-2014, 03:42 PM
Is the reason most are suggesting Gia to be dropped purely because he is not the future?

I can only think that this is the case and that posters want to play a young player as the sub - because on 'Best 22' - particular as the sub to come on and have an impact, Gia should still be picked.

That's my reason. I think there is more to be gained by playing a kid like Hunter, Hrovat or even Honeychurch, than there is by playing Gia as the sub. It may work later in the year when bodies are hurting more than they do now, then Gia can be more effective, but right now I'd like to see him in a polo shirt and headset on the bench teaching the kids.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-05-2014, 04:03 PM
Thought we were talking about Minson? Smith is a young ruckman who is in his second game back from
A knee reconstruction. Will by all rights should of smashed him, he did not. Wills disposal efficiency was 36%, Smiths was 81%. We won the centre clearance but lost the stoppage clearances. A good ruckman needs to offer a lot more than winning the hitout count. I personally feel Will is offering us very little at the moment, hence my call for him to be dropped.

Agreed.

Minson has been poor all year, deserves to be dropped.

bornadog
26-05-2014, 04:21 PM
A good ruckman needs to offer a lot more than winning the hitout count.

Tell me how many ruckman do this in the AFL? How many mark around the ground? How many do other things. In the past this was so, but the way the game is, ruckman are a different beast now.

Sedat
26-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Tell me how many ruckman do this in the AFL? How many mark around the ground? How many do other things. In the past this was so, but the way the game is, ruckman are a different beast now.
There would be a dozen ruckmen in the competition that have added strings to their bow. Some can drift forward and become dangerous (Hale, Ryder, Sandi), some read the play and have elite fitness to link up (Cox), some are brilliant at giving their mids quality hitouts to advantage (Warnock, Jacobs) some get down and dirty to clear a path for the mids to win clearances (Mummy, Grundy, etc..). Minno used to do this grunt work last year but it has been sadly missing from his repertoire in 2014. He has really lacked contributions in all other areas mentioned

Greystache
26-05-2014, 05:12 PM
There would be a dozen ruckmen in the competition that have added strings to their bow. Some can drift forward and become dangerous (Hale, Ryder, Sandi), some read the play and have elite fitness to link up (Cox), some are brilliant at giving their mids quality hitouts to advantage (Warnock, Jacobs) some get down and dirty to clear a path for the mids to win clearances (Mummy, Grundy, etc..). Minno used to do this grunt work last year but it has been sadly missing from his repertoire in 2014. He has really lacked contributions in all other areas mentioned

Jamar was leading the hitouts to advantage as of last round. Minson was nowhere to be seen, which considering he contests more contests than anyone is a bad sign.

bornadog
26-05-2014, 05:19 PM

Its funny the stats say otherwise, but of course posters will say stats lie.

Minson - amongst top ruckman

Hitouts - number 2 (less by 6)
Cont poss - top 5
Clearances - second
Stoppages - second
Cont Marks - close second, but Sandilands double everyone else.
Centre Clearances - equal third
Disposals - 4th

Sandilands is the best ruckman, the others come no where near Minson for hitouts and he holds his own for other stats.

He may not be playing as well as last year, but he is also not as bad as is being made out.

bornadog
26-05-2014, 05:50 PM
Outs : Goodes, Stevens, Gia, Cooney*

Ins : Talia, Grant, Hrovat, JJ*

*pending MRP analysis.

How much fun will it be to see Picken vs Ballantyne this week?

Cooney in but Smith charged two games.

jeemak
26-05-2014, 06:26 PM
I can't really recall what Smith did. There's no footage on the AFL site as yet either.

LostDoggy
26-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Its funny the stats say otherwise, but of course posters will say stats lie.

Minson - amongst top ruckman

Hitouts - number 2 (less by 6)
Cont poss - top 5
Clearances - second
Stoppages - second
Cont Marks - close second, but Sandilands double everyone else.
Centre Clearances - equal third
Disposals - 4th

Sandilands is the best ruckman, the others come no where near Minson for hitouts and he holds his own for other stats.

He may not be playing as well as last year, but he is also not as bad as is being made out.

Finally some sense... Campbell would be finished against Sandilands at half time

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-05-2014, 07:48 PM

What you are saying in effect is that Minson is struggling this year which has become pretty obvious.
His inability to match it now with taller ruck men is a big concern. I would prefer to see Campbell start in the ruck at the weekend against Sandilands. Team selection has become very predictable with also little imagination being shown by the MC on match days.

F'scary
26-05-2014, 10:23 PM
Now that I have calmed down after THAT 3rd quarter, I think the only way forward is to keep playing the younger players, including players like Stevens & Young, and accept that it may take another 20-40 games for significant improvement in results to come.

After all, just 2 seasons ago, Gold Coast, with pretty much the same team they have now, was skating along the bottom.

bornadog
26-05-2014, 11:27 PM
Well now that Smith is certain to miss, need to re look at the ins and outs.

Out: Goodes, Stevens, Bonti and Smith

Wallis showing good form as well in the VFL. Like to keep Bonti in but I also would like to see Hrovat in. Perhaps Gia gets another rest???

azabob
27-05-2014, 08:24 AM
Wallis showing good form as well in the VFL. Like to keep Bonti in but I also would like to see Hrovat in. Perhaps Gia gets another rest???[/COLOR]

Bonti is clearly a talent, but he seems to be looking a bit lost, not sure why. Perhaps he is used to more support around the ball carrier etc?

Mantis
27-05-2014, 09:54 AM

Wallis showing good form as well in the VFL. Like to keep Bonti in but I also would like to see Hrovat in. Perhaps Gia gets another rest???

What will Howard add that we don't already have? ie. slow & can't kick.

always right
27-05-2014, 10:00 AM
What will Howard add that we don't already have? ie. slow & can't kick.

His form the last two weeks warrants an opportunity otherwise why was he retained on the list? You and I don't rate Howard but the fact is he was given another year because Macca still sees something in him so it would make no sense not to elevate him when his form justifies it.

Mofra
27-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Bonti is clearly a talent, but he seems to be looking a bit lost, not sure why. Perhaps he is used to more support around the ball carrier etc?
He looked like Wallis in his second year - getting led to the ball, only had time to handball not getting into space to kick it.

He may be dominating in some VFL games but he really needs another pre-season to be AFL ready.

always right
27-05-2014, 10:05 AM

Perhaps it's because he is 18 and in his first year. Why do we expect young blokes to come into the seniors and instantly look at home? Clearly he is not ready to have a significant impact but there is merit in exposing him to the pressure of AFL as quickly and as often as possible.

bornadog
27-05-2014, 12:22 PM
His form the last two weeks warrants an opportunity otherwise why was he retained on the list? You and I don't rate Howard but the fact is he was given another year because Macca still sees something in him so it would make no sense not to elevate him when his form justifies it.
You answered nicely for me.

LostDoggy
27-05-2014, 12:43 PM
Outs: Smith, Goodes, Gia, Cooney, Roberts,
Ins: Hrovat, Howard, Grant, Wallis, Redpath

Reward the form of those at VFL level. Grant and Redpath will offer the forward line dynamics that we have missed most of the season. Roberts unlucky but i really can’t see a match up to suit him. Big game for Howard.

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-05-2014, 06:17 PM

I have included Young at the expense of Howard because I think he is a better player. I would also include Campbell as I am not convinced that Minson can match Sandilands on his own. Stringer would be the player to make way for Campbell. I also have a preference to retain Bontempelli and include Hrovat as you have suggested with Gia making way. I also think it is timely to expose Redpath at AFL level given our failure to unearth a quality key forward.

Bulldog Joe
27-05-2014, 06:28 PM
I have included Young at the expense of Howard because I think he is a better player. I would also include Campbell as I am not convinced that Minson can match Sandilands on his own. Stringer would be the player to make way for Campbell. I also have a preference to retain Bontempelli and include Hrovat as you have suggested with Gia making way. I also think it is timely to expose Redpath at AFL level given our failure to unearth a quality key forward.

Not sure how throwing Campbell in would improve our chances. It would however, reduce our run.

I would like to see Redpath get a go, but it is likely to be Williams if he comes up from the injury.

Mantis
28-05-2014, 10:44 AM
Outs: Smith, Goodes, Gia, Cooney, Roberts,
Ins: Hrovat, Howard, Grant, Wallis, Redpath

Reward the form of those at VFL level. Grant and Redpath will offer the forward line dynamics that we have missed most of the season. Roberts unlucky but i really can’t see a match up to suit him. Big game for Howard.

Assuming Morris plays on Pav which is highly likely you might be right as there only other tall is Clarke for either Roughy or Roberts... I wouldn't playing Roberts on Clarke and pushing Roughy forward this week to play a semi-defensive role on Johnson or McPharlin (if he returns)

kruder
28-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Surely 5 changes is too many again? 10 changes in two weeks no thanks....

Grant JJ in

Goodes Smith out

wimberga
28-05-2014, 01:25 PM
ins:

Grant, JJ, Hrovat

Outs:

Smith, Goodes, Bonts

Bonts a bit unlucky, but I really want to see Hrovat added back into our midfield.

Ghost Dog
28-05-2014, 03:14 PM
Go in small again? Hmmm not much choice.

LostDoggy
28-05-2014, 03:40 PM
I think we should play Bonts this week.

Put him on a Mundy/Barlow/Fyfe for a half. All three mentioned are tall gun midfielders and use there height to great effect. Learn away young man.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-05-2014, 06:51 PM
I'd be bitterly disappointed if we dropped Bonti.

He needs to play a few games consecutively.

azabob
28-05-2014, 07:02 PM
I'd be bitterly disappointed if we dropped Bonti.

He needs to play a few games consecutively.

Agree - He will find it tough against Freo though. How about as a sub this week, then a full game against Brisbane the week after?

craigsahibee
29-05-2014, 02:38 PM
Heard an interesting stat on SEN today about the Bulldogs.

We are ranked 5th in the comp for tackles, but half of our tackles are in an around the clearances which only make up 20% of the game time. No mention of these percentage breakdowns for other clubs but it does suggest what many of us here believe is that we are too slow around the ground and are unable to force a contest/tackle away from the contested ball.

Our one paced midfield is a real concern. Hrovat and Grant must come in this week and either Campbell, Cordy or Redpath to give Minson a hand. Goodes, Smith and Gia to go.

Remi Moses
29-05-2014, 02:45 PM
I think most would agree that we've probably over compensated in one area.
Seeing one of our players burst away from a contest is a rare sight

lemmon
29-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Heard an interesting stat on SEN today about the Bulldogs.

We are ranked 5th in the comp for tackles, but half of our tackles are in an around the clearances which only make up 20% of the game time. No mention of these percentage breakdowns for other clubs but it does suggest what many of us here believe is that we are too slow around the ground and are unable to force a contest/tackle away from the contested ball.

Our one paced midfield is a real concern. Hrovat and Grant must come in this week and either Campbell, Cordy or Redpath to give Minson a hand. Goodes, Smith and Gia to go.
I don't think much can be read into that until we see breakdown's from other clubs. If I had to guess I would've thought those stats would be the norm, outside of the stoppage situation, you might see someone occasionally run himself into trouble trying to run through forward pressure and there are a few run downs from behind a game but around the ground it's mostly corralling, pressuring and smothers

bornadog
29-05-2014, 03:19 PM
According to the press conference not many changes this week, maybe two or three.

Ghost Dog
29-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Interesting to note, Rossy Lyon quote, Rodney Eade and his Bulldogs were one of the hardest teams to coach against.
Channel the spirit of Rocket boys.

Greystache
29-05-2014, 03:25 PM
Interesting to note, Rossy Lyon quote, Rodney Eade and his Bulldogs were one of the hardest teams to coach against.

Interesting quote considering after his first season as coach we didn't beat St Kilda again until last season under BMac.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2014, 03:28 PM

Maybe that's because we could or would attack, guys like Gilbee and Shaggy off half back, plus Harbrow and Eagleton running hard and fast at our goals too. I don't think it's an issue channeling anything, we simply don't have that engine out of defence at the moment. Wood and Higgins are doing well, which is very pleasing, but we need some speed and foot skills to match. It was awesome every time Gilbee got it because you knew he could run 10m, sometimes 20m and kick another 50m and hit his target. We miss that, at this point in time, i'm guessing Higgins would be closest to that long term unless we move Hrovat to the back flank. But then why recruit Darley and Fuller only to move existing players into that mix? Those 2 recruits are still perplexing me, hopefully we see why they were selected in the second half of the year.

jeemak
29-05-2014, 03:42 PM
In - Howard, Grant, Williams
Out - Goodes, Smith, Stevens

I wouldn't be surprised if Stevens was a bit down on confidence after last week's game. A stint in the middle at Footscray will do him good.

Howard to replace Goodes, and Grant effectively replacing Smith at half forward/forward pocket.

Bonts the sub this week. With BMac having noted only 2-3 changes, Bonts stays in though I got the impression from last week's game he's running out of puff fairly quickly each quarter.

SlimPickens
29-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Bonts the sub this week. With BMac having noted only 2-3 changes, Bonts stays in though I got the impression from last week's game he's running out of puff fairly quickly each quarter.

Just on Bonts, don't be surprised if he is one of those players that looks knackered (ie Robert Harvey) all the time. He'll just keep chugging on, no doubt he needs a few preseasons to get his tank up to standard but in the long run he'll be fine.

jeemak
29-05-2014, 04:12 PM
It wasn't so much the look of him, it was his ability to cover ground and repeat effort.

Not stressed by it though, I have very little doubt he'll get fitter and stronger with each preseason he does, and each game he plays.

wimberga
29-05-2014, 04:42 PM
Just on Bonts, don't be surprised if he is one of those players that looks knackered (ie Robert Harvey) all the time. He'll just keep chugging on, no doubt he needs a few preseasons to get his tank up to standard but in the long run he'll be fine.

I actually liked when B-Mac moved Bont's forward in the last quarter up in the GC.

I was watching live and closely as we were down that end and he read the ball well in the air as well as forcing a contest just about every time. Added advantage of being quite tall.

Remi Moses
29-05-2014, 05:09 PM
Just hope Bontempelli isn't in for one week and out again.

Remi Moses
29-05-2014, 05:17 PM
Interesting quote considering after his first season as coach we didn't beat St Kilda again until last season under BMac.

He had our number. Think Rocket was a great coach, but Lyon had it over us.
That game in 2010 was the classic example

bornadog
29-05-2014, 05:23 PM
He had our number. Think Rocket was a great coach, but Lyon had it over us.
That game in 2010 was the classic example

Wasn't much in it. Last four games the margin was 7, 3, 24, 24

bornadog
29-05-2014, 07:26 PM
Official

Williams, Howard, Wallis, Johannisen, Hrovat

Out Goodes, Smith.

Mantis
29-05-2014, 07:33 PM
No Grant... Strange call.

LostDoggy
29-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Official

Out Goodes, Smith.

No Grant?

Remi Moses
29-05-2014, 07:39 PM
Where's Grant ?

The Bulldogs Bite
29-05-2014, 07:39 PM
No Grant... Strange call.

Stupid call.

Footscray don't play this week, do they? So he misses out on another game.

Happy Days
29-05-2014, 07:43 PM
Stupid call.

Footscray don't play this week, do they? So he misses out on another game.
This is some bull shit. Do they not like kicking goals or something

Maddog37
29-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Common sense would suggest they have a predetermined slow comeback for Grant as those foot injuries can easily recur. Just a guess of course.........

always right
29-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Really surprised......and to be honest, disappointed. Are we going so well that we can't get Grant into our forwardline? Not that long ago the word was Macca was so impressed with Grant rehab that he was going to play him first up.......which flies in the face of the suggestion there is a set plan in place. What's changed that has Grant out of favour?

wimberga
29-05-2014, 09:30 PM
Where the f is jezza

bulldogtragic
29-05-2014, 09:49 PM
Footscray happy with this.

jeemak
29-05-2014, 10:31 PM
Common sense would suggest they have a predetermined slow comeback for Grant as those foot injuries can easily recur. Just a guess of course.........

He may even be..........sore!

Two games back without any preseason footy, even though he is a unit, may have taken a toll on him.

Easy to believe it's BS and we're all smarter than those in charge, but I find it difficult to get sand in my bot bot over this sort of selection outcome.

SlimPickens
29-05-2014, 10:51 PM
He may even be..........sore!

Two games back without any preseason footy, even though he is a unit, may have taken a toll on him.

Easy to believe it's BS and we're all smarter than those in charge, but I find it difficult to get sand in my front crack over this sort of selection outcome.

He had his hand wrapped in ice when he left the ground at Coburg. Maybe he is sore.

jeemak
29-05-2014, 10:56 PM
He had his hand wrapped in ice when he left the ground at Coburg. Maybe he is sore.

I'm sure our up to date and completely transparent weekly injury updates will tell us all about it!

bornadog
29-05-2014, 11:36 PM
Who will miss out?

INTERCHANGE FROM*
4 Marcus Bontempelli (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/player-profile/marcus-bontempelli-)
15 Jason Tutt (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/player-profile/jason-tutt)
3 Mitch Wallis (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/player-profile/mitch-wallis)
39 Jason Johannisen (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/player-profile/jason-johannisen)
9 Jake Stringer (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/player-profile/jake-stringer)
24 Nathan Hrovat (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/player-profile/nathan-hrovat)
30 Christian Howard (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/player-profile/christian-howard)

jeemak
29-05-2014, 11:43 PM
Stringer - Rest and return at Footscray?
Wallis - Does he get a tagging job on Mundy?
Johannisen - Just as an alternative to Howard?

My gut feel it will actually be Hrovat, Johannisen and Wallis that miss, with Bonts the sub. Aside from a gut (considerable in size after a few weeks leave) feel I don't have a lot to base this on.

bornadog
29-05-2014, 11:46 PM
Stringer - Rest and return at Footscray?
Wallis - Does he get a tagging job on Mundy?
Johannisen - Just as an alternative to Howard?

My gut feel it will actually be Hrovat, Johannisen and Wallis that miss, with Bonts the sub. Aside from a gut (considerable in size after a few weeks leave) feel I don't have a lot to base this on.

Not sure what the MC will do, but I would like to see Hrovat and Howard gt an opportunity.

Eastdog
29-05-2014, 11:49 PM
Forward line question. Where do you see Williams playing? Could Murph play a role up there or is it better he play half back.

jeemak
29-05-2014, 11:53 PM
Forward line question. Where do you see Williams playing? Could Murph play a role up there or is it better he play half back.

E-Dog my man, good question.

I don't think we'll see Williams in defence, or Murphy in attack. The latter just wasn't in the game enough on Sunday and I don't think we're at a stage where we can afford to pull a strategic move like having him play in attack for a weeks to get back into the groove as being an option.

Williams was good in attack when he last played. Unless we're struggling with an injury to Roughead or Roberts, Tom should play forward.

Eastdog
29-05-2014, 11:57 PM
E-Dog my man, good question.

I don't think we'll see Williams in defence, or Murphy in attack. The latter just wasn't in the game enough on Sunday and I don't think we're at a stage where we can afford to pull a strategic move like having him play in attack for a weeks to get back into the groove as being an option.

Williams was good in attack when he last played. Unless we're struggling with an injury to Roughead or Roberts, Tom should play forward.

I'm hoping Crammers has more of an influence this week. How about Tom Campbell? Should we focus on him becoming a forward or more a ruckman. I thought it that Adelaide match in the first quarter he certainly played a role in our very solid start to that match.

jeemak
30-05-2014, 12:45 AM
Ruckman, and pretty much that's it. Will's not going to be around forever, so we need to get him primed to take over.

Eastdog
30-05-2014, 12:50 AM
Ruckman, and pretty much that's it. Will's not going to be around forever, so we need to get him primed to take over.

I've read a lot about possibly getting Jeremy Cameron in the other thread but if that doesn't eventuate then who would we go for or who on our current list could develop into that full forward? Redpath?

jeemak
30-05-2014, 01:16 AM
I still think Jones is the most likely KPF we'll have at our disposal for the long term. Not saying he's the one I want (though I think he will ultimately be handy), it's just that we're a conservative club and we have trouble landing marquee players, of which Cameron is one.

Redpath has apparently had a good run at Footscray, though he's not been elevated meaning he's not in selection contention right now. If he continues his form at Footscray, then he should get a go. Dickson is on the LTI meaning we'll have a spot open up next week.

Eastdog
30-05-2014, 01:26 AM
I still think Jones is the most likely KPF we'll have at our disposal for the long term. Not saying he's the one I want (though I think he will ultimately be handy), it's just that we're a conservative club and we have trouble landing marquee players, of which Cameron is on.

Redpath has apparently had a good run at Footscray, though he's not been elevated meaning he's not in selection contention right now. If he continues his form at Footscray, then he should get a go. Dickson is on the LTI meaning we'll have a spot open up next week.

What should Jones number 1 priority be at training to improve himself as a player in particular a forward. His kicking needs improving as I think his a very good mark.

jeemak
30-05-2014, 01:32 AM
Intensity.

Everything he does needs to be at his highest point of effort.

He can mark, he can kick goals and he can affect a contest on the ground and in the air if he tries his hardest. He's not tall/big enough or gifted enough to be able to drop his effort.

There's issues with when he has the ball in general play that need working on, but nobody's perfect and he'll get better at that as he matures.

Eastdog
30-05-2014, 01:37 AM
For those saying that Jones's place on the list will be in trouble come seasons end do you think it's being harsh or is it a fair assessment if he doesn't improve in the second half of the season.

Higgins I think while his been frustrating its more that his had lots of injuries which has hampered his career.

1eyedog
30-05-2014, 01:09 PM

He got smashed up a fair bit against Coburg the other week. There's some other reason because I can tell you that the attention he gets in the VFL now is potentially just as intense as what he gets at AFL. If he is not injured he should be in the side and I feel the same about Redpath. I'm getting very tired of the lack of risk taken by the MC when clearly the current structures aren't working (i.e. forward structures).

Ozza
30-05-2014, 01:29 PM
I'm interested in your comment about 'lack of risk taken by the MC' 1eyedog - maybe you can expand more.

If anything, I would have said we have changed our line up a little too much at times this season.

Last week we had Murphy forward, Stringer has been playing back. Williams has played forward and back. Stevens as a mid and as a full time forward in matches. We've tried a taller set up with Campbell a couple of times, a smaller set up with Williams and Jones unavailable last week. We've played 32 players so far this season by my reckoning - 34 if Howard and Hrovat get a run this week. I would have said we are trying things. But as I said, interested in your thoughts.

wimberga
30-05-2014, 01:44 PM
I'm interested in your comment about 'lack of risk taken by the MC' 1eyedog - maybe you can expand more.

If anything, I would have said we have changed our line up a little too much at times this season.

Last week we had Murphy forward, Stringer has been playing back. Williams has played forward and back. Stevens as a mid and as a full time forward in matches. We've tried a taller set up with Campbell a couple of times, a smaller set up with Williams and Jones unavailable last week. We've played 32 players so far this season by my reckoning - 34 if Howard and Hrovat get a run this week. I would have said we are trying things. But as I said, interested in your thoughts.

I can't speak for 1eyedog Ozza, but I know my own personal thoughts on the MC aren't based around their willingness to try things week to week, but more about trying to change things within a game and from quarter to quarter.

Axe Man
30-05-2014, 01:49 PM
when clearly the current structures aren't working (i.e. forward structures).

Is it the forward line that's our major problem? We are 15th for inside 50s so far this season. Only St Kilda, Melbourne and Brisbane average fewer per game than us. I'm not sure if there are any stats on the quality of the entries but my general feeling would be that they aren't great. I think the forward line in most games has done OK considering the lack of supply in terms in quantity and quality.

1eyedog
30-05-2014, 04:04 PM

Hi Ozza, it was a general statement about Redpath rather than match day rotations and / or established players being tried in different positions. I've been to the last two Footscray games this season and in each of the games I've seen he's kicked bags of 3 and 4. Jack took 10 marks against the Burgers many of them strong marks both on a lead and in the air. He just clunks them. He also set up at least another 5 goals across both the Sandy and Coburg games. What I like about him also is his speed - he's quick for a big bloke and is able to get on a lead. He also gets to contests, crashes packs and hurts people. He has the potential to be a Stew Crameri on steroids.

Can someone please explain to me why the MC haven't picked him this week? Any good reason and I don't agree with the tank not big enough argument. He's performing at VFL level and I do not see anyone else on our list over 192 cm and 100 kg kicking goals and taking contested marks. I think the MC should give him a number of weeks and I'm miffed to be honest why it hasn't happened.

Also, if Grant is not injured I'm not sure why he has been over-looked. Surely we need players in our F50 who can help our forward structure look functional.

As a personal summary I realise I have absolutely no idea what the requirements on Redpath are. All I can say is what I have seen of him over the past two weeks and I'm struggling to see anyone else on our list who could make a positive contribution in a position we have been clearly struggling with since Round 1. I'm sure the members would have gotten a bit of thrill seeing how Redpath went this weekend and there was a fair bit of build up on here about it so I'm disappointed to see him overlooked.

bornadog
30-05-2014, 04:11 PM
Official

Out Goodes, Smith.

JJ not playing as he will be in the Social Club as a guest speaker.

azabob
30-05-2014, 04:12 PM

Bizarre isn't it?

Mantis
30-05-2014, 04:12 PM

I just got that one too... Nice way to break it. :rolleyes:

bornadog
30-05-2014, 04:13 PM
I just got that one too... Nice way to break it. :rolleyes:

Yes they should text the details of the whole team.

1eyedog
30-05-2014, 04:14 PM
Is it the forward line that's our major problem? We are 15th for inside 50s so far this season. Only St Kilda, Melbourne and Brisbane average fewer per game than us. I'm not sure if there are any stats on the quality of the entries but my general feeling would be that they aren't great. I think the forward line in most games has done OK considering the lack of supply in terms in quantity and quality.

Agreed we seem to have issues across the park. I'm not all for lets bring in the kids but I'm glad Hrovat has been selected this week as he is one who gets away from the opposition and will assist with our run and spread. I'm also hopeful that Tutt stays in for the same reasons, potentially JJ too.

My belief is that we can score more readily if we have a verifiable target in F50 and we just don't seem to have that. Most of our goals come from Crameri (not a KPP), from our midfield from long range or opportunistically within our F50. My point is that other than Hrovat and Grant, perhaps Talia (in lieu of Roberts) we do not have anyone else to bring into the side that provides a point of difference to what we already have (Wallis included) with the exception of Redpath. He's no world beater but he deserves an opportunity to contribute. Many have had that opportunity by doing far less.

Eastdog
30-05-2014, 05:09 PM

I would say its a bit of both. Our forward line needs a lot of work but also our delivery into there needs to get better. We need to work on playing 4 quarters. I really thought at half time we had our chance to win but really it was solely that 3 quarter that lost it for us. If it wasn't for that 1 quarter collapse then who knows how the match might have turned out.

Ozza
30-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Hi Ozza, it was a general statement about Redpath rather than match day rotations and / or established players being tried in different positions. I've been to the last two Footscray games this season and in each of the games I've seen he's kicked bags of 3 and 4. Jack took 10 marks against the Burgers many of them strong marks both on a lead and in the air. He just clunks them. He also set up at least another 5 goals across both the Sandy and Coburg games. What I like about him also is his speed - he's quick for a big bloke and is able to get on a lead. He also gets to contests, crashes packs and hurts people. He has the potential to be a Stew Crameri on steroids.

Can someone please explain to me why the MC haven't picked him this week? Any good reason and I don't agree with the tank not big enough argument. He's performing at VFL level and I do not see anyone else on our list over 192 cm and 100 kg kicking goals and taking contested marks. I think the MC should give him a number of weeks and I'm miffed to be honest why it hasn't happened.

Also, if Grant is not injured I'm not sure why he has been over-looked. Surely we need players in our F50 who can help our forward structure look functional.

As a personal summary I realise I have absolutely no idea what the requirements on Redpath are. All I can say is what I have seen of him over the past two weeks and I'm struggling to see anyone else on our list who could make a positive contribution in a position we have been clearly struggling with since Round 1. I'm sure the members would have gotten a bit of thrill seeing how Redpath went this weekend and there was a fair bit of build up on here about it so I'm disappointed to see him overlooked.

Regarding Redpath (appreciate the view on him btw), I asked someone from inside the club (VFL level) about him this week - and the view was that his tank is actually ok. So will be interesting to see if he gets an opportunity in the next few weeks if the performance is good - because he is doing a lot of the right things.

Alternatively, on Grant, I get the impression he is sore and too much a risk to play this week.

Coming back to Redpath - and adding talls generally - it is worth considering the view that Fremantle are generally very very successful at dealing with tall forward lines. The ball coming in long is something Ross Lyon teams are well equipped to deal with. They eat it up. So I guess I'm offering that potentially the view is that there is no urgency to get a previously untried tall target into the side against an opposition that is unsuitable. Just speculating on that.

1eyedog
30-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Regarding Redpath (appreciate the view on him btw), I asked someone from inside the club (VFL level) about him this week - and the view was that his tank is actually ok. So will be interesting to see if he gets an opportunity in the next few weeks if the performance is good - because he is doing a lot of the right things.

Alternatively, on Grant, I get the impression he is sore and too much a risk to play this week.

Coming back to Redpath - and adding talls generally - it is worth considering the view that Fremantle are generally very very successful at dealing with tall forward lines. The ball coming in long is something Ross Lyon teams are well equipped to deal with. They eat it up. So I guess I'm offering that potentially the view is that there is no urgency to get a previously untried tall target into the side against an opposition that is unsuitable. Just speculating on that.

Perhaps you're right but what I've seen of Jack suggests he's pretty good on the lead as well but I suppose we have a raft of mid-sized forwards who can fill that role. Once again this week there is no-one down there who can take a contested mark but I'm all cool with that provided we don't just bomb it in there like we have done over the past 10 weeks. If we are going to take that approach (through design or as an ad hoc requirement) we should be considering a realistic target rather than sitting it on the head of guys who are only 183 cm tall.

If we do that this week as you say it's going to come out pretty quickly.

bornadog
30-05-2014, 06:06 PM
Final Team:

IN: Hrovat, Williams and Wallis

Out: Goodes, Smith and Stringer

chef
30-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Good changes.

1eyedog
30-05-2014, 06:29 PM
Yes good to see Hrovat getting a run.

Remi Moses
30-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Thought Howard would have got a run .
Decent changes

bornadog
30-05-2014, 06:58 PM
Thought Howard would have got a run .
Decent changes

I think Murphy will go back to defense with no Goodes or JJ

azabob
30-05-2014, 07:17 PM
Are we surprised the MC went with Roberts over Stringer?

Go_Dogs
30-05-2014, 08:08 PM
I'm happy with those changes.

Really looking forward to seeing Hrovat grow over the last half of the season in confidence and performance.

F'scary
30-05-2014, 08:12 PM

No, Stringer has only earned his spot a couple of times this year.

Nuggety Back Pocket
30-05-2014, 09:35 PM

Happy to see Roberts instead of Stringer. StringerIMO needs to spend time in the VFL. Good to see Hrovat get his opportunity given his superior disposal. Wallis will no doubt tag one of the dangerous Freo midfielders with Picken to take Ballantyne.I wasn't surprised to see Howard miss as still not convinced he is good enough at AFL level. The non-selection of Grant was a surprise given the limitations of our forward line.

lemmon
30-05-2014, 10:36 PM
I've been very happy with Roberts' form. Very solid defensively and clean with the limited footy he has got

jeemak
31-05-2014, 02:32 AM
Happy to see Roberts instead of Stringer. StringerIMO needs to spend time in the VFL. Good to see Hrovat get his opportunity given his superior disposal. Wallis will no doubt tag one of the dangerous Freo midfielders with Picken to take Ballantyne.I wasn't surprised to see Howard miss as still not convinced he is good enough at AFL level. The non-selection of Grant was a surprise given the limitations of our forward line.

Can you actually see any excuse for not picking Grant if he's fit?

I was disappointed Howard didn't get a game, though he's clearly in the mix and needs to capitalise on being in the coaching staff thoughts.

Shame Footscray doesn't have a game this week. It would answer the Grant question, and also give Howard a decent chance to put his name forward again.

Eastdog
31-05-2014, 02:49 AM
Can you actually see any excuse for not picking Grant if he's fit?

I was disappointed Howard didn't get a game, though he's clearly in the mix and needs to capitalise on being in the coaching staff thoughts.

Shame Footscray doesn't have a game this week. It would answer the Grant question, and also give Howard a decent chance to put his name forward again.

Where do you see Howard playing most of his footy in our side going forward. Is he judged too harshly or is the criticism fair?

jeemak
31-05-2014, 04:41 AM
Where do you see Howard playing most of his footy in our side going forward. Is he judged too harshly or is the criticism fair?

Well, I think the point is it's hard to see him filling a role one way or another.

If I was to choose, it would be HBF or Wing.

I think he's judged fairly enough. Sure, there's more expectation on him because he was a first round pick, but at the end of the day he's played two or three games where he's shown he's capable of playing at the level in five seasons. Irrespective of injury and development issues, that's not sufficient.

BornInDroopSt'54
31-05-2014, 11:15 AM

I'd like to see that!!!
In: Mocca Dunstan, Ted Whitten.
Out: Smith, Stringer.
Mocca and Ted are proven champions when we get belted. They always provide a triumphant display even in a losing side. They always make it worth going to the footy even when you suspect you will lose as you mostly do, making them absolute heroes. Fantasy is a panacea when reality is not enough but who will be our heroes today? I think we can bank on Griff to be supreme, Libba and Murph. I'm glad we're going in to battle with Picken and a side that will graft its trade until the final siren. Freemantle are a scary proposition for us atm but into battle we go and may yet have a might victory despite expectations. I'll be there even if it Etihad is not a good home ground for a loss, Western Oval was way better, but who cares because I look forward to the feeling of Etihad during a triumphant season and a stirring victory whenever that may be.

Rocco Jones
31-05-2014, 02:02 PM
Not sure why people want Howard in. Are we judging players relative to the expectations they set? Basically, Howard's base is so low that two good-ish games at VFL level means he gets a game? I like him being named as an emergency. A bit of a nod to his form without sacrificing a spot.

I've said it before but if he was just a Footscray VFL listed guy would anyone be nominating him for being drafted etc? Not giving up on him, a couple of weeks ago I thought he was zero chance of staying on our list for next year. He has looked like a good state league player in the last two weeks, a fairly big jump. If he has another good game or two where he does the right things team wise, then definitely look to give him a crack.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Not sure why people want Howard in. Are we judging players relative to the expectations they set? Basically, Howard's base is so low that two good-ish games at VFL level means he gets a game? I like him being named as an emergency. A bit of a nod to his form without sacrificing a spot.

I've said it before but if he was just a Footscray VFL listed guy would anyone be nominating him for being drafted etc? Not giving up on him, a couple of weeks ago I thought he was zero chance of staying on our list for next year. He has looked like a good state league player in the last two weeks, a fairly big jump. If he has another good game or two where he does the right things team wise, then definitely look to give him a crack.

Agreed.

My sentiments also.