PDA

View Full Version : Jumper, Duffle Coat, Tattoo, Diary & Changing Numbers?

bulldogtragic
23-05-2014, 11:15 AM
From a response in another thread about mourning Doug leaving and needing to remove no. 7 from the jumper, I thought it opened up a good conversation.

Not just who you have had on your jumper, which is a great question, but also
If your player changed number, did you automatically change?
How did you deal with the jumper number if the trade was retired?
How did you deal with you number if the player quit the club?
Did you move straight to a new number, or mourn and semi retire the number for a period?
How did you consider a new number?
Did your players number need to be a senior player or captain type, or could a new high profile recruit take your jumper?

For the longest time I had 7 as Doug is still worshipped as a god in my grand parents house, almost more than Teddy. Then I took 3 after Chris took it over and stopped with jumpers. It's kind of good as I'd have nightmares thinking I wore the No. 3 thinking Everitt was in some way equal to Chris.

1eyedog
23-05-2014, 01:07 PM
I had no. 31 on a duffle coat in 1980-1982. I removed it in 1982 and never wore another number to the footy ever again.

Greystache
23-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Funnily enough as a young kid I bought a jumper and put number 7 on it AFTER Hawkins left. I always liked to choose a player early on that I thought had upside, Scotty West was my man. As I got a bit older and grew out of the number 7 I replaced it with number 36, who at the time was a slightly tubby full forward who I really wanted to see have a run at full back.

Maybe as an adult I should buy a new jumper and put 4 on it, Bonts could win 3 Brownlows!! ;D

craigsahibee
23-05-2014, 03:29 PM
Had 35 on the back of my Brandella V Neck footy Jumper and "35 Terry Wheeler" emblazened across the back of my Duffle Coat. My Mum used to buy me clothes so "I could grow into them" so my number choice would be there for the long haul.

However I was lucky that Terry's departure to Williamstown coincided with a growth spurt around 14-15 years of age so on the new jumper I had one of the biggest "7" I have ever seen. I'm sure the bottom of the 7 sat below the lowest of the thin white stripes on our 80's series guernsey. This was around 1984 I think and I still remember the puzzled look on the face of Noel Zunnenberg (former Fitzroy player) who owned the sports store I bought the number from when he asked me which player is the 7 for. When I said Doug Hawkins, he looked like he had no idea who he was.

Twodogs
23-05-2014, 03:33 PM
I had no. 31 on a duffle coat in 1980-1982. I removed it in 1982 and never wore another number to the footy ever again.

Werd.

Bulldog4life
23-05-2014, 04:27 PM
As a very young kid I had the number 26 on my back. The player in question was John Clegg. He was a rover and very short....maybe as a kid that is why I picked him. Anyhow John only lasted a couple seasons then he left for Yarraville in the VFA and subsequently won the Liston Trophy. After he left Charlie Evans had the number 26. He was a back pocket player who represented Victoria in that position but finally was cleared to South Melbourne.

Twodogs
23-05-2014, 09:00 PM
I reckon I can remember John Clegg playing at Angliss Reserve playing for Kingsville. Now that I think back I can remember him ticking me off for being surly. I was 10 so it would have been 1974.

Doc26
23-05-2014, 09:31 PM
As a very young kid I had the number 26 on my back. The player in question was John Clegg. He was a rover and very short....maybe as a kid that is why I picked him. Anyhow John only lasted a couple seasons then . After he left Charlie Evans had the number 26. He was a back pocket player who represented Victoria in that position but finally was cleared to South Melbourne.

Charlie Evans wore the number 28. Ray Walker wore the number 26, also a back pocket player in the same era.

Rocco Jones
23-05-2014, 09:37 PM
I remember getting the number 29 on my jumper for Granty then finding out a couple of days later he was going to wear number 3. Went from having Chris Grant's number on my back to Daryl Griffin...

bulldogtragic
23-05-2014, 09:38 PM
I remember getting the number 29 on my jumper for Granty then finding out a couple of days later he was going to wear number 3. Went from having Chris Grant's number on my back to Daryl Griffin...

And how'd that work our for everyone Rocco? :)

Greystache
23-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Charlie Evans wore the number 28. Ray Walker wore the number 26, also a back pocket player in the same era.

And won a B&F in the middle of John Schultz's streak. Good bloke too from what I hear ;)

bornadog
23-05-2014, 10:45 PM
I had the number 3 on my back that went along with my first boots - Teddy Whitten boots of course.:)

Bulldog4life
28-05-2014, 04:33 PM

You are right Doc. Relied on my memory which unfortunately failed me this time. Yes 28 it was

Bulldog4life
28-05-2014, 04:35 PM
I reckon I can remember John Clegg playing at Angliss Reserve playing for Kingsville. Now that I think back I can remember him ticking me off for being surly. I was 10 so it would have been 1974.

Could have been Twodogs. He is featured in the Heritage Book. Ended up coaching Forest Hill I think.

Axe Man
28-05-2014, 05:28 PM
As a young kid I had long sleeve jumper with 18 on the back in honour of the great Simon Beasley. I have never had a number on a jumper since, I've been waiting for another 100 goal full forward before I commit.;)

Twodogs
28-05-2014, 05:55 PM
As a young kid I had long sleeve jumper with 18 on the back in honour of the great Simon Beasley. I have never had a number on a jumper since, I've been waiting for another 100 goal full forward before I commit.;)

I must have ended up with all the ones you didn't get. I've got 15 or so bulldog jumpers the short sleeved one are really warm under a Tshirt.

always right
28-05-2014, 06:05 PM
Supplementary question......at what age should a supporter stop wearing the geurnsey to games? Personally I reckon there are few sadder sights than a 40+ year old wearing a sleeveless jumper.

bulldogtragic
28-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Supplementary question......at what age should a supporter stop wearing the geurnsey to games? Personally I reckon there are few sadder sights than a 40+ year old wearing a sleeveless jumper.

Good question. I stopped around 13 or so, was happy with a nice old scarf and hat. Now it's just a scarf.

1eyedog
28-05-2014, 06:38 PM

16 I reckon. Only cheer squad members wear the jumpers after 16 surely...:rolleyes:

craigsahibee
28-05-2014, 08:11 PM

18. However I did purchase a woollen v neck of the current style only a few years ago on eBay, which I have worn to the footy once or twice.

Happy Days
28-05-2014, 08:28 PM
18. However I did purchase a woollen v neck of the current style only a few years ago on eBay, which I have worn to the footy once or twice.

I agree with 18 but woollen long sleeves with a collar are good for all ages.

azabob
28-05-2014, 08:49 PM
Good question. I stopped around 13 or so, was happy with a nice old scarf and hat. Now it's just a scarf.

I stopped around 13 also. No colours for me - not sure why.

bulldogtragic
28-05-2014, 08:52 PM

Can I make a further supp question?

When you go to neutral AFL matches, do you wear bulldogs hats, scarves etc??

azabob
28-05-2014, 09:03 PM

Sorry BT, 99% of this forum doesn't watch AFL other than the bulldogs.

bulldogtragic
28-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Sorry BT, 99% of this forum doesn't watch AFL other than the bulldogs.

I think there's a few who get wooed or are attempted to be wooed in business by getting taken to the footy in games not ours, or are in other states. But I agree, I'm not watching games on TV like I once did.

1eyedog
28-05-2014, 10:10 PM
I once went to the the Tigers den (the cheer squad area) at the MCG to watch Rich v Carl round 1 match a few years ago. It was a twilight match and I was in there with my best mate, a Richmond supporter. I was wearing Doggies scarf in there and I got out alive by staying up the back trying to look as innocuous as possible. Of course Ricmond fans are so stupid they were only looking to vent their anger on Carlton supporters. It was pretty rabid in there and an interesting experience. We did give them Brown, Wallace and McMahon so maybe they went easy on me ;). Terry Wallace what a nuff nuff. The sort of guy who resigns from under your employment and steals all your clients.

Twodogs
28-05-2014, 11:40 PM
I once went to the the Tigers den (the cheer squad area) at the MCG to watch Rich v Carl round 1 match a few years ago. It was a twilight match and I was in there with my best mate, a Richmond supporter. I was wearing Doggies scarf in there and I got out alive by staying up the back trying to look as innocuous as possible. Of course Ricmond fans are so stupid they were only looking to vent their anger on Carlton supporters. It was pretty rabid in there and an interesting experience. We did give them Brown, Wallace and McMahon so maybe they went easy on me ;). Terry Wallace what a nuff nuff. The sort of guy who resigns from under your employment and steals all your clients.

And David Thorpe and Robert McGhie. And Geoff Raines.

azabob
29-05-2014, 08:33 AM
And David Thorpe and Robert McGhie. And Geoff Raines.

And Leon Cameron and Justin Charles!

bulldogtragic
29-05-2014, 10:03 AM
And Leon Cameron and Justin Charles!

And Pat Bowden.

Twodogs
29-05-2014, 05:56 PM
Paul Hudson, Chris Burton.

Happy Days
01-06-2014, 03:14 PM

Nope, too likely to cop brutal "you lost mate?" banter from dickheads.

bulldogtragic
01-06-2014, 03:17 PM
Nope, too likely to cop brutal "you lost mate?" banter from dickheads.

What is it about those type of people, that a) feel the need to say something b) what they get from saying it c) why they think we would care ???