PDA

View Full Version : The Burnout

Happy Days
26-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Let me preface this by saying this football club is pretty much my best mate.

BUT;

Is this prolonged period of not so much poor on filed performance, but general irrelevance taking it's toll on anyone else?

I'm finding myself more and more apathetic towards the game. I still go but it's more out of obligation and routine than anything else. I think I checked Facebook at the Melbourne game about 400 times to see if literally anything else in my small little world was happening.

It certainly doesn't help that we lose a lot and generally play ugly football, but I think the problem is far more deep seeded.

The struggle is real, and I'm worried as to where it might lead. Anyone else feeling similar? (Please say yes)

Mantis
26-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Yes.

It's sad that the thing that I used to build my weekend around (the footy) is little more than a passing interest at the minute... Sure my life has changed, but I'm finding there are better things to do with my time than attend our games or even watch us on the box.

And yes, we are irrelevant.

Greystache
26-05-2014, 03:11 PM
That's absolutely how I feel.

I didn't watch yesterday's game live because I had other things I'd rather be doing. It took me 3 stints to sit through it all, and even then I probably watched 2.5 quarters.

I didn't go to the Melbourne game because I preferred to go out for dinner and drinks. I eventually watched it on Wednesday but only kept half an eye on it.

The Norf game earlier in the year was the most boring live event I've ever been to... excluding the recent Grease musical I had to suffer through.

I find watching us play exhausting, boring, frustrating, and overall simply a chore.

I don't find AFL footy good to watch in the general at the moment, but we make it worse than it should be. Funnily enough I actually prefer to go and watch the VFL at the moment, maybe because our skill level doesn't seem to bad there.

Remi Moses
26-05-2014, 03:24 PM
You lost me at Facebook.
It's about winning

Twodogs
26-05-2014, 03:56 PM
I dunno if it's the same thing you are talking about, but I went through a stage from about halfway through 2010 until the start of last year, where I just couldn't get interested in the game. I wasn't even going to go to the 2010 PF until a mate (Who I hadn't seen for a couple of years) turned up out of the blue on my doorstep with 2 tickets on the afternoon of the match. I went to one game in 2011 and that was only because I had to work. 2012 I forced myself to go to maybe half a dozen games but left most of those early. Over those years I didn't know who we were playing the following week and I could barely remember who we had played the week before. It was like a football specific bout of depression. I think I was just so devastated after the 2009 PF that I couldn't see the point in it any more.

LostDoggy
26-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Such a depressing thread, and by depressing i mean how painfully true it all is..

The Crowds over the next 2 weeks are going to tell a real tale into just how many fans have completely lost interest. Fremantle and Brisbane at Etihad.

Sedat
26-05-2014, 04:07 PM
Yep. Suffering significant AFL (in general) and Bulldogs (in particular) fatigue. World.Cup is around the corner and that will be my sporting fix for the next month.

We are just so pedestrian to watch this season, which has been disappointing compared to the exciting way we played in the last 2 months of 2013. And our game plan is so similar to almost everyone else's, minus the skill and dare of course. We are clearly having a red hot crack most weeks but unfortunately we just aren't much chop.

Losing doesn't even hurt at all these days - it used to sting like buggery not so long ago.

Eastdog
26-05-2014, 04:08 PM
Will still be going to the games as much as I can to support the club some weeks cant go due to the things I have on but yeah the way we are going is certainly testing all of our patience. I look at it more that short term pain for long term gain. While yesterday's 2nd half performance was awful there were a lot of positives in that 1st half to take out against a much improved Gold Coast. We have to remember we are in development phase.

Eastdog
26-05-2014, 04:12 PM
Yep. Suffering significant AFL (in general) and Bulldogs (in particular) fatigue. World.Cup is around the corner and that will be my sporting fix for the next month.

We are just so pedestrian to watch this season, which has been disappointing compared to the exciting way we played in the last 2 months of 2013. And our game plan is so similar to almost everyone else's, minus the skill and dare of course. We are clearly having a red hot crack most weeks but unfortunately we just aren't much chop.

Losing doesn't even hurt at all these days - it used to sting like buggery not so long ago.

Do you think we pumped ourselves up too much after the second half of 2013. I was optimistic at the start of the season but now I have reevaluated and for this season don't have as many expectations.

bornadog
26-05-2014, 04:17 PM
NO

You are all weak as piss. You back them in good times and bad.

The only thing that frustrates me is the AFL messing with the game -rules, fixture, cost etc.

bulldogtragic
26-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Yep. Yep. Yep. I'm trying to more positive, but I'm not angry like last year. It's just disappointing so badly.

That's why I bang on about Tassie, because if we continue this irrelevancy, then nothing will change with deals, fixtures etc.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-05-2014, 04:23 PM
The game of AFL itself lost me a few years ago. I hate the rule changes, interpretations, the sub and how soft the game has become. Crap time slots don't help either, particularly given how ugly the product overall is.

The Dogs still frustrate me, and I watch most games/attend home games, but it doesn't effect me as it once did.

The 2009 PF really did it for me, haven't had the same enthusiasm since. I was definitely gaining 'excitement' over this pre-season given we played some exciting footy towards the end of last year, but the first 10 or so weeks of 2014 have been bloody terrible. We've gone backwards, there's not one game I would happily re-watch to date.

Mantis
26-05-2014, 04:30 PM
NO

The only thing that frustrates me is the AFL messing with the game -rules, fixture, cost etc.

Charming.... But didn't expect anything else.

bornadog
26-05-2014, 04:30 PM
Charming.... But didn't expect anything else.

Lighten up

always right
26-05-2014, 04:32 PM
Congrats.....you've made me more depressed.

craigsahibee
26-05-2014, 04:40 PM
Rum and Irish Whiskey tend to help me get through the tediousness of an AFL game these days.

After the loss yesterday, the last thing I wanted to see was Carlton potentially winning so I switched over to SBS to watch some doco on the archaeological wonders of Ancient Britain. I, like others am not in love with the game anymore. I see it as a conscious uncoupling of sorts.

Sedat
26-05-2014, 04:41 PM
The game of AFL itself lost me a few years ago. I hate the rule changes, interpretations, the sub and how soft the game has become. Crap time slots don't help either, particularly given how ugly the product overall is.

The Dogs still frustrate me, and I watch most games/attend home games, but it doesn't effect me as it once did.

The 2009 PF really did it for me, haven't had the same enthusiasm since. I was definitely gaining 'excitement' over this pre-season given we played some exciting footy towards the end of last year, but the first 10 or so weeks of 2014 have been bloody terrible. We've gone backwards, there's not one game I would happily re-watch to date.
I genuinely enjoyed the Richmond game but draw the line there. We transitioned the ball from coast to coast a number of times in that game that I haven't seen from us since

Greystache
26-05-2014, 04:45 PM
I genuinely enjoyed the Richmond game but draw the line there. We transitioned the ball from coast to coast a number of times in that game that I haven't seen from us since

Agree, I did enjoy that game greatly, and it's been the only one. We weren't fantastic that day, we dropped off for about 40 mins and got punished, but we played with some intent to do something other than just mauling the ball forward for 120 mins and hoping to scrounge an occasional goal.

Rum and Irish Whiskey tend to help me get through the tediousness of an AFL game these days.

I don't drink at the footy as a general rule, but to be honest at times I think it's the only way I can enjoy watching us play. Then again we play almost exclusively on Sundays and I don't drink on a work night, so even that won't help.

bornadog
26-05-2014, 04:47 PM
Whose fault is all this crap football?

bulldogtragic
26-05-2014, 04:55 PM

I'd say Macca and Macca must take a good chunk of responsibility, but then I'd be howled down.

Gia the sub, Telling crowds Howard will be a 100 game AFL player, not cutting some rookies, elevating Goodes, no real gameplan, out coached on most games and most importantly, our development is stagnating.

Macca would be struggling for a contract extension if we didn't go premature on resigning him.

Greystache
26-05-2014, 04:56 PM

AFL- Constant rule changes, pre-determined focus from the umpires to look after their favourites, protection of the already successful clubs, shit game time scheduling for the minnows.

Previous coaches/recruitment/list management- We're playing a team of developing kids or aging veterans, with only a handful of players in their prime. We have a 5 year hole right in the middle of our list.

Current coaching- They've got a horrible list profile to work with, but I've also go no idea what we're trying to do other than get hands on the ball.

always right
26-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Unless we show significant improvement in the second half this year, I fear for our 2015 membership. Might take a big signing in the off season to get our supporters up and about again.....I'm thinking we trade for an established KPF or a get a gun KPF prospect in the draft. Problem is to get that a gun prospect in the draft we need to be low enough on the ladder which won't happen if we improve significantly in the second half of the season. My brain hurts.

The Pie Man
26-05-2014, 05:05 PM
I dunno if it's the same thing you are talking about, but I went through a stage from about halfway through 2010 until the start of last year, where I just couldn't get interested in the game. I wasn't even going to go to the 2010 PF until a mate (Who I hadn't seen for a couple of years) turned up out of the blue on my doorstep with 2 tickets on the afternoon of the match. I went to one game in 2011 and that was only because I had to work. 2012 I forced myself to go to maybe half a dozen games but left most of those early. Over those years I didn't know who we were playing the following week and I could barely remember who we had played the week before. It was like a football specific bout of depression. I think I was just so devastated after the 2009 PF that I couldn't see the point in it any more.

Start of 2011 was very weird - I remember round 1 coming up vs Essendon and felt a strange apathy towards it, and realised as we were getting pantsed that it didn't feel like us anymore. From the previous game (2010 prelim vs St Kilda) we were missing Hargrave, Harbrow, Eagleton, Hahn, Lake, Gilbee, Johnson, Addison & Minson - replaced with the likes of Sherman, Stack, Djerrkura, Hill & Jones.

Problem with today is we just look soooo slow all over the ground - Wood runs through the centre yesterday with a few bounces in a rare bit of excitement and I thought 'hey here we go' and then he couldn't make the distance from 50 anyway (not potting him, just the way it seems to go is all)

I'll go to the Freo game - but we got 17K to the Adelaide game a month ago, and it wasn't twilight. We are irrelevant - commentary yesterday decided to focus on the margin and how that could elevate the Suns to 2nd (something you'd normally see in the final round when finals games are being decided) ....anything but talk about us.

Feels a long long way away

Maddog37
26-05-2014, 05:32 PM
I think the way we are feeling as supporters is a reflection of how our playing group look on field. Lack of passion, lack of adventure in our play and too many near misses have stymied any green shoots that were taking hold at the end of last year.

If we as fans are doing it tough then imagine how it feels to be a player at present!

Ozza
26-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Seem to remember all this from the exact same time after Gold Coast in Gold Coast last year.
We've been a far worse team in my lifetime before (and for those around in the mid-late 60s and 70s...I'm told you've seen much much worse!). And we've had far less on our list in terms of future/developing prospects before.

I can understand the reaction or the apathy, thats up to the individual. After a loss I'm flat until about Tuesday - and by Wednesday, Thursday - I'm looking forward to barracking for them again on Sunday.

soupman
26-05-2014, 05:57 PM
I too am feeling more and more deflated.

These last two years more than any I have become increasingly frustrated with everything happening in the AFL that isn't specifically our club.

I am continually pissed off and frustrated about the following:
-The absolute goldmine of talent the expansion clubs have been given to drown in. Look through their lists and they have 10 players each that would be considered as "untouchable" as Dahlhaus and Liberatore are at our club. Guy's like Boyd, Patton, Cameron, O'Meara, martin, Dixon, Lynch, Thompson, Bennell, Swallow, Whitfield, Treloar etc. It's clicked just how hard it is going to be to win a Premiership this next decade, and even more worrying if these clubs can manage their list well (which the AFL will ensure they have the funds to do so) they could contunally replenish like Geelong has.
-The absolute pigheadedness and arrogance of the Essendon football club, James Hird and too many people associated with either.
-The debacle that is the MRP system, and the continual rule changes and modified interpretations that not only change round to round but quarter to quarter and sometimes contest to contest.
-The worshipping of the big clubs, and how they make the club so great with all their big events and what they stand for and crap like that.
-The TV commentators. How do we have so many professional idiots commentating on matches? Every single match has idiot commentator's getting names wrong, or being 10 seconds behind play, or showing a lack of understanding for one of the few rules that hasn't been changed in decades, or blatantly barracking for a side, or whingeing about something non stop (ie. throw ins)
-The TV coverage in general. Why can't they replay anything of interest but are happy to show Judd blowing his nose on the bench as play is happening or something stupid like that. And channel 7's pathetic SD coverage.
-The gimmicky rounds where the AFL decides they appreciate a certain minority group of it's supporter base extra that week, and thus everyone needs to wear a shitty jumper or dress up or some crap like that.
-How discussion about the game in the media, especially on radio devolves into a conversation everytime about how the game is broken because of this and this and that it didn't used to be like that so why should it now and etc. or how the rules are broken and how there are too many and they need more to stop coaches coaching and how about we have zones or what about we introduce the supergoal and do you think they should try my really obvious idea? I cannot believe sometimes the absolute drivel that comes out of peoples mouths on the radio and that they actually thought it was an idea that needed to be spread with the world.

And on a more related note to us:
-How big clubs get the big games because they earn them, but we aren't ever given a chance to grow our exposure so that we can earn them.
-How we are actually treated like the ugly cousins of the rest of the comp, and thus are kept hidden from tv, or decent timeslots, or big opponents.
-How when we actually do have a chance to impress, or have a big game or a good crowd, we blow it nearly everytime and shoot ourselves in the foot both on field and off field, meaning you cop all those arguments from Bomber and Magpie fans telling you how "you could only get 25,000 to that match" or "nobody watches you cause you're shit" etc.
-How we never luck out and get the high draft pick when the player we need is there. Just once can we have a top 5 draft pick that we can use on a KPP that we aren't reaching for. Unfortunately the drafts where that would have happened saw GC and GWS have the first 21 picks each leaving us with nothing.
-How whenever we play well it is always about how our opponents didn't, apart from when they just don't bother mentioning us. How many times can analysis shows (especially Footy Classified) promise to talk about us, then waffle on about how anything else, no matter how irrelevant, boring or non-footy related it is, and then at the end do the old "we are running out of time, what did you want to say about the bulldogs Hutchy?","They were good", "Ok and that's all that we have time for, here are the votes for the best defensive minded rising star under 6 foot this round as awarded by the coaches".
-It always seems as if the commentators are more interested and often barracking for the opposition, or their stars, over ours (possible bias there from me, but I don't think it is)

It's especially frustrating because I feel like I am standing by my club against all this absolute crap and that we will rise above, but we aren't. We are just plodding along with a plan that I believe in, but is yet to show any real significant progress as sides like Port, GC, GWS and even Melbourne show glimpses, if not great strides of progress not only towards being winning sides filled with talent but attacking and enjoyable to watch ones too.

G-Mo77
26-05-2014, 05:58 PM
The Bulldogs are the only thing that keep me watching AFL. My love for the game overall has dropped dramatically.

Remi Moses
26-05-2014, 06:00 PM
It's very disappointing, but style of footy is just nonsense.
Freo , ( who hardly play like the Harlem globetrotters) have crowds that have increased under Lyon.
Stkilda were in the same boat. It's the win loss column that's the issue.

bulldogtragic
26-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Soupa post, Soupa.

I will still give my money, always have, always will. But our marriage is based on sticking in the marriage for the love of our kids, and hoping the excitement comes back.

bornadog
26-05-2014, 06:09 PM
Yes top post Soupa, I think you have summarised it for all of us.

bulldogtragic
26-05-2014, 06:12 PM
At what point can we say the plan isn't and/or will not work?

BMac has a record (I believe) worse than (or close to) Neeld and Peter Rhode. Not kicking him directly, but I think it's a fair question.

bornadog
26-05-2014, 06:15 PM
At what point can we say the plan isn't and will not work?

BMac has a record (I believe) worse than Neeld and Peter Rhode. Not kicking him directly, but I think it's a fair question.

For me if we don't play finals next year, he has failed.

chef
26-05-2014, 06:36 PM
For me if we don't play finals next year, he has failed.

Do you think our list is good enough to play finals next year?

LostDoggy
26-05-2014, 06:36 PM
I too am feeling more and more deflated.

I am continually pissed off and frustrated about the following:
-The absolute goldmine of talent the expansion clubs have been given to drown in. Look through their lists and they have 10 players each that would be considered as "untouchable" as Dahlhaus and Liberatore are at our club. Guy's like Boyd, Patton, Cameron, O'Meara, martin, Dixon, Lynch, Thompson, Bennell, Swallow, Whitfield, Treloar etc. It's clicked just how hard it is going to be to win a Premiership this next decade, and even more worrying if these clubs can manage their list well (which the AFL will ensure they have the funds to do so) they could contunally replenish like Geelong has.
-The absolute pigheadedness and arrogance of the Essendon football club, James Hird and too many people associated with either.
-The debacle that is the MRP system, and the continual rule changes and modified interpretations that not only change round to round but quarter to quarter and sometimes contest to contest.
-The worshipping of the big clubs, and how they make the club so great with all their big events and what they stand for and crap like that.
-The TV commentators. How do we have so many professional idiots commentating on matches? Every single match has idiot commentator's getting names wrong, or being 10 seconds behind play, or showing a lack of understanding for one of the few rules that hasn't been changed in decades, or blatantly barracking for a side, or whingeing about something non stop (ie. throw ins)
-The TV coverage in general. Why can't they replay anything of interest but are happy to show Judd blowing his nose on the bench as play is happening or something stupid like that. And channel 7's pathetic SD coverage.

And on a more related note to us:
-How big clubs get the big games because they earn them, but we aren't ever given a chance to grow our exposure so that we can earn them.
-How we never luck out and get the high draft pick when the player we need is there. Just once can we have a top 5 draft pick that we can use on a KPP that we aren't reaching for. Unfortunately the drafts where that would have happened saw GC and GWS have the first 21 picks each leaving us with nothing.
-How whenever we play well it is always about how our opponents didn't, apart from when they just don't bother mentioning us. How many times can analysis shows (especially Footy Classified) promise to talk about us, then waffle on about how anything else, no matter how irrelevant, boring or non-footy related it is, and then at the end do the old "we are running out of time, what did you want to say about the bulldogs Hutchy?","They were good", "Ok and that's all that we have time for, here are the votes for the best defensive minded rising star under 6 foot this round as awarded by the coaches".

Awesome post Soupaman
Agree wholeheartedly , especially with the ones above

chef
26-05-2014, 06:38 PM
I'm not burnt out, just pissed off.

We could be crap for the next 20 years and I'll still get excited about the next game coming up. Football is a roller coaster.

Bulldog til I die.

jeemak
26-05-2014, 06:42 PM
At what point can we say the plan isn't and/or will not work?

BMac has a record (I believe) worse than (or close to) Neeld and Peter Rhode. Not kicking him directly, but I think it's a fair question.

Bmac - 16/53, 30%
Neeld - 5/33, 15%
Rhode - 9/45, 20%

Numbers sourced from footywire. Bmac has a 50% better record than Rhode, and a 100% better record than Neeld.

jeemak
26-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Good post BTW Soup. Sums up a lot of how I'm feeling as well.

bulldogtragic
26-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Bmac - 16/53, 30%
Neeld - 5/33, 15%
Rhode - 9/45, 20%

Numbers sourced from footywire. Bmac has a 50% better record than Rhode, and a 100% better record than Neeld.

My bad, I was going off old numbers, which were out too.

But he is in firmly in the same area as Peter Rhode, 20% - 30% , and if we lose more will be even closer.

SonofScray
26-05-2014, 07:16 PM
The hardest part about this stint down the bottom for me has been that we've had to go back to the well again after feeling certain that under Eade we'd break the drought. We'd been promised so much in the general context of the AFL, premiership windows and a being a tall forward away from a flag etc. We did a lot of things right and just came up short. I'd almost have copped that, but then when it was our turn to cash on down the bottom, we get screwed by the introduction of the new Clubs. Moreso than any other Club.

So we've potentially out of alignment again in terms of the premiership cycle. Stuck in limbo.

Add to that a disgusting 2011 season, one of the most insipid displays of any sports Club ever, and an equally depressing follow up season and it rely hurt my faith in the Club.

New President, VFL team, Hoops and the back end of 2013 helped me suck it up and fanned the flames again but I am really sick and tired of our inability to compete beyond the level we set for ourselves. We rarely pick a fight. Rarely get emotive about the game. Everything is too neat and tidy. I want more moxy.

We have a lot to be proud of, I just wish we'd play to our identity a bit more, have it reflected in every aspect of the Club more often. Make me feel something.

lemmon
26-05-2014, 07:33 PM
I feel the same but more about the game as a whole rather than just the Dogs. I used to watch every game on free to air across a weekend religiously, now I struggle to sit through a full Bulldogs game. Probably the worst thing is the losses don't hurt any more, when GC got that run on yesterday I found myself shocked at how unfazed I was by it all. I've been doing some work for the WRFL recently and found I much prefer to be watching a Divi 2 game on a Saturday rather than AFL footy.

SonofScray
26-05-2014, 07:47 PM
I feel the same but more about the game as a whole rather than just the Dogs. I used to watch every game on free to air across a weekend religiously, now I struggle to sit through a full Bulldogs game. Probably the worst thing is the losses don't hurt any more, when GC got that run on yesterday I found myself shocked at how unfazed I was by it all. I've been doing some work for the WRFL recently and found I much prefer to be watching a Divi 2 game on a Saturday rather than AFL footy.

I won't watch footy at AFL level if we aren't involved. The League can FOAD as far as I am concerned. My only investment in the game is at local level and for our Club. If we could exist outside of the AFL, I'd be happy.

GVGjr
26-05-2014, 07:59 PM
I'll buck the trend here. I still enjoy watching the Bulldogs play and I enjoy going to the footy. I don't love the AFL and only watch snippets of games on the tele but I have been that way for many years. It's not a recent thing.
I doubt I could go to another game to watch anyone else but the Dogs in fact I have been offered seats in super boxes a number of times and I consistently knock them back.

The reason why I think so many people are so flat is some of the following:
- The introduction of the new sides
- The impacts of the compromised drafts
- Losing players to FA
- All purpose venues
- The cost of going to the football
- Sunday games

For a long period of time our supporters stuck fat with a club that had a long history of under performing results. Anyone having a whinge now hasn't followed the Dogs for as long as I have or they have a significantly shorter memory span.
As supporters we would bounce back from losses and front up week after week and that was in a time when you stood out in the rain for the majority of the real winter games. You would exchange your views from the previous week and look forward to the game you were at. We were really committed.
We had real opposition teams in those days not manufactured ones where you honestly despised the opposition supporters that were packed into local venues with shitty amenities basic food options and bugger all cover to shelter yourself from the conditions.
This was an experience where munching into a Jam doughnut at one of the breaks and getting burns was actually a treat. All of your own club supporters that were standing nearby quickly became your mates in that us or them showdown between two clubs.
We still loved going to the footy even if we lost.

I could go on and on but lets fast forward to the last 5 years. In a time when the Bulldogs were starting to bottom out after yet another few failed attempts at playing in some grand finals the AFL started introducing 2 new teams to the competition. This was done to primarily satisfy the needs of the TV networks and get the best possible deals to help the AFL expand the game. Sure we benefited from it in some aspects but it came at a heavy cost as well which I think is what is turning many of our supporters away.

The timing of our bottoming out really sucked. Instead of having some early picks at the draft table and grabbing some big names (Patton, Boyd, Martin, O'Meara or Hogan etc etc) that we could really sell to the members we were forced away from the dining table taking significantly later picks than we deserved or needed. Sure we got some of it wrong but I'd bet London to a brick that a lot of our supporters would still be excited about our future if was had one or two guys I mentioned above on the development path at our club instead of two clubs with no history having multiple early draft picks and climbing up the ladder while we have to once again be patient.

We don't scrap with the AFL the way Peter Gordon did in the late 80's and mid 90's. That has been replaced with a conciliatory approach. We dress this up as being partners with the AFL but a lot of us think we are being followers.
We don't go to games crammed into local suburban venues and loving our club and hating theirs, we now sit in half empty all purpose built stadiums that have been built for comfort but in reality just lack atmosphere and distance our supporters from the club and each other. We don't talk to each other at the games, we sit there with ipads or iphones surfing the internet and are more focused on exchanging messages with people who aren't at the game. We don't have a reason to get to games early as seats are now in the majority allocated not grabbed early. Trips to the games by the train see families sitting together all glancing at the phone in silence rather than talking about the game like we all did back in the day.
By giving us so much in terms of conditions and options the AFL has actually taken the reason why we used to go to the games away from us. To me so many of our supporters want to be entertained more than seeing the club win a game. God help those who had to endure games at the Western Oval or Waverly Park compared to now. There were times when I thought I had lost a toe or two in the icy weather.
Perhaps we just have too many other options that are easier to deal with that just don't require the emotional outlay that Footy used demand of us. Despite all that I'm not going to take the easy option.

The reality is that there is no quick fix but while we continue to point the finger of blame at the coach, the club or the players I think it is just dragging down the will of so many of our supporters. We all need to be stronger than that.

For what it's worth, don't let the bastards wreck you from wanting to love the club. We don't have to accept losses on the field but I'm not leaving games of footy and letting someone else inserting a level of doubt that has me questioning if I love the club or not.

I'm a Western Bulldogs supporter and that won't change anytime soon.

kruder
26-05-2014, 08:06 PM
I was trying to get 18holes in before the game but decided to play 9 and go home and watch the footy. I turned it off 8 minutes into the third quarter. Macca said in the presser that the Gold Coast lifted, that is absolute garbage. We fell off the cliff with no hint of leadership or skill from anyone.

Our boys simply don't believe. We worked our bums off yesterday yet were behind at halftime. We dominated the Dons apart from the first 10mins, yet posted another loss.

It's amazing how inefficient we are with the ball, they all go into their shells and prefer to handball. Our team seriously lacks leadership and skill.I was out of my seat when Griff hit Murph lace out with a 50m bullet pass. I can't remember another like it all year yet Hawthorn does it every quarter.

I still do believe in the next few weeks we will finally field our best team for a season and hopefully the ball will start rolling. Hopefully...

always right
26-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Soupaman said it all. Brilliant post.....dare I say post of the season.

I just hope there are enough bulldog supporters who are still up for the fight for a little while longer. I'm concerned......not about my commitment but that there are fewer and fewer like me. Thank god my children are still rabid supporters.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-05-2014, 08:20 PM
The hardest part about this stint down the bottom for me has been that we've had to go back to the well again after feeling certain that under Eade we'd break the drought. We'd been promised so much in the general context of the AFL, premiership windows and a being a tall forward away from a flag etc. We did a lot of things right and just came up short. I'd almost have copped that, but then when it was our turn to cash on down the bottom, we get screwed by the introduction of the new Clubs. Moreso than any other Club.

So we've potentially out of alignment again in terms of the premiership cycle. Stuck in limbo.

Add to that a disgusting 2011 season, one of the most insipid displays of any sports Club ever, and an equally depressing follow up season and it rely hurt my faith in the Club.

New President, VFL team, Hoops and the back end of 2013 helped me suck it up and fanned the flames again but I am really sick and tired of our inability to compete beyond the level we set for ourselves. We rarely pick a fight. Rarely get emotive about the game. Everything is too neat and tidy. I want more moxy.

We have a lot to be proud of, I just wish we'd play to our identity a bit more, have it reflected in every aspect of the Club more often. Make me feel something.
Our poor list is a major concern. We are still too reliant on our more experienced players such as Griffen Murphy Morris and Picken with Liberatore Dahlhaus Roughead and Macrae being good draft selections but for the most part our recruiting has been only average. Crameri should become a handy player providing we can find a couple of key forwards which is proving a tall order for our Club. Our recruiting has been dominated by bringing in too many similar types such as Goodes Pearce Howard and Fuller all with limited ability.
The huge draft concessions granted to GWS and Gold Coast Stars further restricts our ability to compete on an equal playing field.

Eastdog
26-05-2014, 08:27 PM
Our poor list is a major concern. We are still too reliant on our more experienced players such as Griffen Murphy Morris and Picken with Liberatore Dahlhaus Roughead and Macrae being good draft selections but for the most part our recruiting has been only average. Crameri should become a handy player providing we can find a couple of key forwards which is proving a tall order for our Club. Our recruiting has been dominated by bringing in too many similar types such as Goodes Pearce Howard and Fuller all with limited ability.
The huge draft concessions granted to GWS and Gold Coast Stars further restricts our ability to compete on an equal playing field.

I think while our forward line is a concern our midfield if we can hang on to all of them will be quality over the next few years. Defence and forward for me is where we need attention. What do you reckon NBP?

soupman
26-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Great post GVGjr. Believe me I do still enjoy going to the footy, and am not about to stop in the foreseeable future.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-05-2014, 08:54 PM
I think while our forward line is a concern our midfield if we can hang on to all of them will be quality over the next few years. Defence and forward for me is where we need attention. What do you reckon NBP?

We do have two standouts in the midfield in Griffen and Liberatore with both Boyd and Cooney getting closer to their use by date. We still lack two key forwards which is a major concern and a good enough reason to play Jack Redpath this Sunday against Freo.
We still need another key defender to support Roughead . Roberts and Talia would seem our best options at the moment but still need to do better. Wood and Higgins have been good in defence considering they have struggled for different reasons in the past.

ReLoad
26-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Yes like many others this time sucks big time, but just like fine wine, the wait, the anticipation, the joy when it comes together will be greater than anyone from any afl team at any stage will feel.

Our club is against the wall and has been pretty much for ever, that's what I love, that's why we all stick fat, it's because one day we will have defeated everything that everyone has thrown at us over the years.

Close your eyes, imagine being at the G when someone in our, the holiest of football jumpers holding aloft the cup, I for one will be a mess, imagine the months at the whitten oval afterwards, imagine bumping into a dogs supporter and sharing our unique story with each other. Imagine taking some time to celebrate our legends past who kept our club alive to let us get it, it will not get any better.

This what you and we are feeling now is temporary pain, it is still pain, but it will be worth it, stick fat, take a time out and try something different, follow footscray for a while, get to a vfl game or two, relight your fires.

When we do win, which we will, we won't need to say or do anything, there will be no need for arrogance or ego, it will be the finalisation of a dream of generations, where we can finally hold our heads high and march in unison as the greatest team in the land, against all odds, against all comers with superior resources in every facet, one day we finally can "stick it up them"

Webby
26-05-2014, 10:31 PM
Great post GVGjr. Believe me I do still enjoy going to the footy, and am not about to stop in the foreseeable future.

Two of the best posts I've seen in all my time viewing WOOF. Well done Soupaman & GVGjnr. There's an element on Monday-itis to all of this. We have a modest supporter base, but it's fair to say that there's a good core that is too tough to die. Supporting the Dogs is almost like being a player! We have to recover through the week and get ourselves up for next weekend...

When I was a kid, Aussie Rules was my favourite sport and the Dogs were my favourite sporting club. The Doggies retain their place, but Aussie Rules isn't even in my top two sports anymore. I'll continue to support, but can't help but feel it's just a mug's game, this supporting a small Vic club thing... In my darker moments, I think to myself "at least they killed Fitzroy relatively quickly." I know that sounds sad, but it's what I occasionally think...

... Nonetheless, when Saturday comes around, I feel that pang of hope again and can't help but hope..!
Honestly, I braced myself for five long seasons. We're only two and a third in. If we can press on through this rut, we'll get there. It's just soooo galling to see upstart clubs taking our gun players and being handed the world.

We helped build this league into what it is today. We deserve more than commission dickheads putting their feet on our heads and dealing out premierships from a boardroom... Whilst we do the graveyard shift donkey work and pay off their dud stadium deal..

bornadog
26-05-2014, 11:01 PM
Do you think our list is good enough to play finals next year?

The coach will be in his 5th year, why not.

jeemak
26-05-2014, 11:06 PM

4th my man.

bornadog
26-05-2014, 11:09 PM
4th my man.

2012,2013,2014,2015 - yeah you are right, I can't count :D .

I guess I was including 2011 when we debuted players like Libba, Wallis, Dahl, Roughead etc who should have enough games by next year to not be called young anymore and be the new core.

The bulldog tragician
26-05-2014, 11:24 PM
I'd like to thank GVJ and Soupaman for two very eloquent posts which in their own ways made me feel quite emotional. And ReLoad thank you for reminding us that when That Day comes, the joy we will feel will surpass anything we can possibly imagine.

These are hard times. Not winning sucks. Our style is not pretty. And it's all that bit tougher because we recently got so goddamn close. But our club is our family. I really hope we'll all recover from this understandable fit of the blues (I'm feeling them too) and be there on Sunday, I know I will be.

Dry Rot
27-05-2014, 12:58 AM
Our poor list is a major concern... for the most part our recruiting has been only average.

It's been terrible. Everitt, Howard, Wallis, Cordy, and a wobbly return from Grant and Higgins. Smith can't kick.

There's 7 first rounders....

Most were not the fault of the AFL or the new teams.

Remi Moses
27-05-2014, 12:59 AM
Great stuff Soupmann and GV. You put it more eloquently than I ever could.
No emotions ever compare to when we win or lose.

The Doctor
27-05-2014, 01:42 AM
I'll buck the trend here. I still enjoy watching the Bulldogs play and I enjoy going to the footy. I don't love the AFL and only watch snippets of games on the tele but I have been that way for many years. It's not a recent thing.
I doubt I could go to another game to watch anyone else but the Dogs in fact I have been offered seats in super boxes a number of times and I consistently knock them back.

- Losing players to FA
- All purpose venues
- Sunday games

For a long period of time our supporters stuck fat with a club that had a long history of under performing results. Anyone having a whinge now hasn't followed the Dogs for as long as I have or they have a significantly shorter memory span.
As supporters we would bounce back from losses and front up week after week and that was in a time when you stood out in the rain for the majority of the real winter games. You would exchange your views from the previous week and look forward to the game you were at. We were really committed.
We had real opposition teams in those days not manufactured ones where you honestly despised the opposition supporters that were packed into local venues with shitty amenities basic food options and bugger all cover to shelter yourself from the conditions.
This was an experience where munching into a Jam doughnut at one of the breaks and getting burns was actually a treat. All of your own club supporters that were standing nearby quickly became your mates in that us or them showdown between two clubs.

I could go on and on but lets fast forward to the last 5 years. In a time when the Bulldogs were starting to bottom out after yet another few failed attempts at playing in some grand finals the AFL started introducing 2 new teams to the competition. This was done to primarily satisfy the needs of the TV networks and get the best possible deals to help the AFL expand the game. Sure we benefited from it in some aspects but it came at a heavy cost as well which I think is what is turning many of our supporters away.

The timing of our bottoming out really sucked. Instead of having some early picks at the draft table and grabbing some big names (Patton, Boyd, Martin, O'Meara or Hogan etc etc) that we could really sell to the members we were forced away from the dining table taking significantly later picks than we deserved or needed. Sure we got some of it wrong but I'd bet London to a brick that a lot of our supporters would still be excited about our future if was had one or two guys I mentioned above on the development path at our club instead of two clubs with no history having multiple early draft picks and climbing up the ladder while we have to once again be patient.

We don't scrap with the AFL the way Peter Gordon did in the late 80's and mid 90's. That has been replaced with a conciliatory approach. We dress this up as being partners with the AFL but a lot of us think we are being followers.
We don't go to games crammed into local suburban venues and loving our club and hating theirs, we now sit in half empty all purpose built stadiums that have been built for comfort but in reality just lack atmosphere and distance our supporters from the club and each other. We don't talk to each other at the games, we sit there with ipads or iphones surfing the internet and are more focused on exchanging messages with people who aren't at the game. We don't have a reason to get to games early as seats are now in the majority allocated not grabbed early. Trips to the games by the train see families sitting together all glancing at the phone in silence rather than talking about the game like we all did back in the day.
By giving us so much in terms of conditions and options the AFL has actually taken the reason why we used to go to the games away from us. To me so many of our supporters want to be entertained more than seeing the club win a game. God help those who had to endure games at the Western Oval or Waverly Park compared to now. There were times when I thought I had lost a toe or two in the icy weather.
Perhaps we just have too many other options that are easier to deal with that just don't require the emotional outlay that Footy used demand of us. Despite all that I'm not going to take the easy option.

The reality is that there is no quick fix but while we continue to point the finger of blame at the coach, the club or the players I think it is just dragging down the will of so many of our supporters. We all need to be stronger than that.

For what it's worth, don't let the bastards wreck you from wanting to love the club. We don't have to accept losses on the field but I'm not leaving games of footy and letting someone else inserting a level of doubt that has me questioning if I love the club or not.

You and I have been exchanging views for and against for the better part of 15 years on various forums. May I say this is your finest work. I just love the real passion of what footy is all about and it was eloquently stated in your post. Well done G

chef
27-05-2014, 07:18 AM

As pointed out already, it will be his 4th.

Why not, because of our list may still not be good enough but as long as we are still moving in an upward trend he should be right. A lot should depend on the develop of players that arrived since Macca's been here.

bulldogtragic
27-05-2014, 10:22 AM
If we feel like this... Why would non members sign up for this? Membership manager must be almost the hardest job at the club...

LostDoggy
27-05-2014, 10:53 AM

- Losing players to FA
- All purpose venues
- Sunday games

Thanks Gary. That was one of the most amazing posts i've read in a long time.

AFL today is a direct reflection of society today. Time short, values misplaced, technology-driven and money driven.

Ozza
27-05-2014, 12:05 PM

AFL today is a direct reflection of society today. Time short, values misplaced, technology-driven and money driven.

Staggers me when I see 10-15 pages on the woof 'Game Day Thread'. Posters must be spending more time typing on Woof than looking up at the game.

LostDoggy
27-05-2014, 12:09 PM
Staggers me when I see 10-15 pages on the woof 'Game Day Thread'. Posters must be spending more time typing on Woof than looking up at the game.

It's an interesting statement Ozza. Share your sentiments.

Remi Moses
27-05-2014, 04:06 PM

That is just so true . Passion's gone, but people still manage to have pages upon pages of game day thread.
Dare I get howled down, a bit of gen y supporting going on

Chicago1
27-05-2014, 04:35 PM
I'm so burnt out that I haven't posted here in ages. :(

I also no longer stay up to listen to most of the matches. I don't even bother getting up to listen to the 4.40am starts. It has been over three years since I have been to a match in person and I have to admit that I was underwhelmed when I visited the Whitten Oval to watch training in February. I also met the coach then. Sorry, but I just didn't get "the vibe". With Rocket, Crossy and Smorgo no longer around, it just wasn't the same. The Whitten Oval didn't feel as much like "home" as it did on my previous five visits.

I'm sure that a few good wins will do wonders for my morale, but when(if) that happens I guess I'll just continue to wander about just not that excited about footy in general.

chef
27-05-2014, 04:56 PM
If we start winning and climbing back up the ladder again will it get rid of the burn out?

bulldogtragic
27-05-2014, 05:16 PM
If we start winning and climbing back up the ladder again will it get rid of the burn out?

Winning fixes everything.

The issue with winning is a few meaningless wins could rob us a top kid. Again not suggesting tanking, just traditionally when you fall like we have you get a no. 1 pick, but we've managed not to do that.

Happy Days
27-05-2014, 05:42 PM

I dunno, maybe.

The losing just doesn't hurt like it has previously. I still emotionally and financially support the club and will forever continue to do so, it's just that this season (and I've experienced way worse seasons before) is providing very different emotions.

There is definitely a multi-layered paradigm at work here, but it's not manifesting itself in anger like it has previously.

Remi Moses
27-05-2014, 06:07 PM
God knows what the Chicago cubs would do to the phschye then

Twodogs
27-05-2014, 06:24 PM
I dunno, maybe.

The losing just doesn't hurt like it has previously. I still emotionally and financially support the club and will forever continue to do so, it's just that this season (and I've experienced way worse seasons before) is providing very different emotions.

There is definitely a multi-layered paradigm at work here, but it's not manifesting itself in anger like it has previously.

Are you worried that because losses don't hurt as much now then future wins won't mean as much?

GVGjr
27-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Two of the best posts I've seen in all my time viewing WOOF. Well done Soupaman & GVGjnr.

I'd like to thank GVJ and Soupaman for two very eloquent posts which in their own ways made me feel quite emotional. And ReLoad thank you for reminding us that when That Day comes, the joy we will feel will surpass anything we can possibly imagine.

Great stuff Soupmann and GV. You put it more eloquently than I ever could.
No emotions ever compare to when we win or lose.

You and I have been exchanging views for and against for the better part of 15 years on various forums. May I say this is your finest work. I just love the real passion of what footy is all about and it was eloquently stated in your post. Well done G

Many thanks for all the thanks including a couple of private messages.

I know it's bloody hard to watch these losses and I get very annoyed myself.
I'm not on my own here but like many others I've invested too much time and effort in following and supporting the Bulldogs to walk away from the club and I'll continue to stick with it as long as I can. When that special Grand Final day eventually comes, and I believe it will, it will make these rough patches that test our resolve and patience seem insignificant.

bornadog
27-05-2014, 09:33 PM
Lets beat Freo and show the footy world we are going places and stuff this burnout.

Go Dogs

Go_Dogs
27-05-2014, 09:51 PM
Some terrific contributions in this thread, thank you for taking the time to post, it's been a great read.

I see myself as someone who still really enjoys football. I don't watch as many games as I used to, but I still get along to the odd neutral game and watch a couple most weekends. The games that hold my interest at the moment, are those like the Power v Hawks game from Saturday night. Despite a lot of negativity surrounding the state of the game at the moment, you watch some of the top sides play and they play a very attractive brand of football (generally) and have some players capable of doing some amazing things.

A bloke like Chad Wingard, who in footy terms is still so fresh to senior footy, is just a pleasure to watch. Some of the things he's able to do on the football field, the skill, poise, creativity...

When it comes to the Dogs, I guess I always will be a pretty fanatical supporter. A testament is the amount of time I still spend each week (when I first joined and was a finishing my studies, I had a lot more time to post) reading and dissecting the commentary surrounding our side. I've got to most of our games this year (when I haven't had other obligations) but the way we have played does make it more challenging particularly when it comes to dragging others (non-Dogs fans) along.

I look at some of our young guys, the skill and tenacity of players like Libba and Dahl, and the courage of young Roughy and Koby Stevens who have at played on in matches under serious duress, the even younger blokes like Macrae, Stringer, Hunter and Bonts who are finding their feet, and the just the sheer will of Griffen, and it makes me happy.

We aren't quite there yet as a side, and it's frustrating to look around and see other teams who have been gifted a great head start in the Suns and Giants, the Power who were a rabble not long ago quickly jump up and become a seriously good football side, Geelong and Hawthorn, who were battling it out at the top end with us and are still up there now. It hurts seeing these other clubs do well...knowing that we're progressing slowly and seemingly still a fair way off the pace.

But things can change quickly in this game, they often do.

So whilst it gets tougher, and my head fills with doubts about what we're doing, from the coaching staff to the recruiting staff and yes, even the decisions that came before their time which still influence the current make up of the side - I'm really looking forward to the tide changing. It's been a good ride so far, exciting, character building etc and I wouldn't change it.

Ghost Dog
27-05-2014, 09:59 PM
I'll buck the trend here.

I suppose a moderator is too busy doing what they do to post in length, most of the time. But when the top dogs speak at length it's great to read and thanks for taking the time to put that down.

Might I add, the Essendon supplements scandal gave me the royal shits and added to the negative vibe.
Despite that, I'm an optimist. With Peter having returned, Brendan, and many other changes at the club, I just see it becoming more professional all the time.
I will say that a great many Bulldogs fans are working class people, and if the current regime gets its way, less fans will be going to the footy. When you earn 600-800 bucks a week, and have a family, there is not much change.
On the positive side, the symbolism of having Footscray Football club playing at Whitten oval is very important for me. The enormity of that as a move by the club has to be understood. A bold but very, very risky one financially.
The transition to a stand alone side is critical and I hope everyone can stand by the club as it moves through an exciting, but complex time ( expansion clubs, debate over equalization, rule changes and so forth.)

I'm as excited as ever but I suppose I have not followed for as long as many here and have a different take. I just want to see us play to win and never give up. That's really all I care about. If we keep doing that ruthlessly, I think a premiership will come.

Question - Are we really that different from a club like Port? Matty Primus wasn't sulking in the change rooms that long ago.
Also, this forum has really changed from what it once was. It's a lot more positive than it used to be.

Twodogs
27-05-2014, 10:13 PM
I'll buck the trend here. I still enjoy watching the Bulldogs play and I enjoying going to the footy. I don't love the AFL and only watch snippets of games on the tele but I have been that way for many years. It's not a recent thing.

- Losing players to FA
- All purpose venues
- Sunday games

Well said Gary, I've been reflecting on your post for a couple of days now trying to think of the words to do it justice but I just can't. As rallying cries they don't come much better or more eloquent than that mate.

All I can say is I'm into this club until the day I die.

Go doggies!

1eyedog
27-05-2014, 10:30 PM
NO

I actually love the club more every week. I resigned myself to the tragic situation I would find myself in as a Bulldog supporter during the late 70s early 80s when we were terrible. The flame was ignited in 89 and will never go out ever again. It even stayed lit through the Rohde era. Our time will come and if it doesn't stuff it because I will always love the red white and blue. I don't need a premiership to endure, I'm not selfish like that the Bulldogs are a family affair and none of us will ever question our devotion.

bornadog
27-05-2014, 10:55 PM
I actually love the club more every week. I resigned myself to the tragic situation I would find myself in as a Bulldog supporter during the late 70s early 80s when we were terrible. The flame was ignited in 89 and will never go out ever again. It even stayed lit through the Rohde era. Our time will come and if it doesn't stuff it because I will always love the red white and blue. I don't need a premiership to endure, I'm not selfish like that the Bulldogs are a family affair and none of us will ever question our devotion.

The best year I experienced at the footy was 1985. We hadn't played finals for some 10 years and even then we only scraped in - both 1974 and 1976. I grew up a as kid in the 60's and believe me it was bleaker than bleak. I don't know how I stuck with the team but I did. Going through primary school and seeing your team flogged week after week was not fun.

Every win in 1985 was so thrilling and exciting and to finish the home and away second on the ladder wow it was a great feeling.

A similar situation arose in 1997 after virtually finishing bottom the previous year and again fighting to get into a GF. We played some exciting footy, kicked some massive scores and had some huge quarters.

In 2005 after some miserable years under Rhode, the last 6 or so games, something clicked and we took on Rockets game plan and we new there were some good years to come.

In 2013 the last half felt a little bit like 2005 but not quiet the same.

We have 13 games to go and I would like to see us at least win 6 games and say we are on the improve. Then we can be really optimistic in 2015. - burnout what is that??

LostDoggy
27-05-2014, 11:46 PM
-How discussion about the game in the media, especially on radio devolves into a conversation everytime about how the game is broken because of this and this and that it didn't used to be like that so why should it now and etc. or how the rules are broken and how there are too many and they need more to stop coaches coaching and how about we have zones or what about we introduce the supergoal and do you think they should try my really obvious idea? I cannot believe sometimes the absolute drivel that comes out of peoples mouths on the radio and that they actually thought it was an idea that needed to be spread with the world.

Sorry to be a bit cheeky, but isn't that what we're doing here? This thread has talkback radio written all over it.

Life is not a flat ocean, it's a continual set of waves, and the best way to ride out the next is to point the bow right at it. Keep on going and the love and passion will come back.

Or you'll sink.

Glug glug glug.

The Pie Man
28-05-2014, 12:07 PM
Heard what I thought was a very strange comment from my brother last night that I thought was relevant - he has an hour + travel to get into games, but still makes it to most home matches.

Still filthy about last Sunday's second half, he raised this while we were discussing Freo last night.... 'I'll go IF we blood a new player - if we don't play Honeychurch or Redpatch, I'm not going'

I don't advocate placing a caveat on your attendance to a game - but he's a member (and will continue to be) and we both now have very young children which complicates weekend recreation, so I'm not potting him....just wondering if this is an attitude some fans have?

bornadog
28-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Western Bulldogs Regular Season Crowds and Attendances
AFL Attendances By Year (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances)

Year
Games
Total
Average

2014 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2014&t=R&h=A)

2013 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2013&t=R&h=A)

2012 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2012&t=R&h=A)

2011 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2011&t=R&h=A)

2010 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2010&t=R&h=A)

2009 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2009&t=R&h=A)

2008 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2008&t=R&h=A)

2007 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2007&t=R&h=A)

2006 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2006&t=R&h=A)

2005 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2005&t=R&h=A)

2004 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2004&t=R&h=A)

2003 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2003&t=R&h=A)

2002 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2002&t=R&h=A)

2001 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2001&t=R&h=A)

2000 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2000&t=R&h=A)

1999 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1999&t=R&h=A)

1998 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1998&t=R&h=A)

1997 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1997&t=R&h=A)

1996 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1996&t=R&h=A)

1995 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1995&t=R&h=A)

1994 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1994&t=R&h=A)

1993 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1993&t=R&h=A)

1992 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1992&t=R&h=A)

1991 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1991&t=R&h=A)

1990 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1990&t=R&h=A)

1989 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1989&t=R&h=A)

1988 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1988&t=R&h=A)

1987 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1987&t=R&h=A)

You can see from the above table (home and away only) there is a direct correlation between winning seasons and losing seasons. The last two seasons have been our worse seasons since 1996, another bad year.

This year hard to gauge as depends on the mix and still 13 games to go.

1eyedog
28-05-2014, 03:33 PM
The best year I experienced at the footy was 1985. We hadn't played finals for some 10 years and even then we only scraped in - both 1974 and 1976. I grew up a as kid in the 60's and believe me it was bleaker than bleak. I don't know how I stuck with the team but I did. Going through primary school and seeing your team flogged week after week was not fun.

Every win in 1985 was so thrilling and exciting and to finish the home and away second on the ladder wow it was a great feeling.

A similar situation arose in 1997 after virtually finishing bottom the previous year and again fighting to get into a GF. We played some exciting footy, kicked some massive scores and had some huge quarters.

In 2005 after some miserable years under Rhode, the last 6 or so games, something clicked and we took on Rockets game plan and we new there were some good years to come.

In 2013 the last half felt a little bit like 2005 but not quiet the same.

We have 13 games to go and I would like to see us at least win 6 games and say we are on the improve. Then we can be really optimistic in 2015. - burnout what is that??

1992 for me. Five straight through the middle of the season and I thought we were invincible. Del Re was kicking big bags most weeks and we really creamed some teams that year. Pity Geelong were just too good for us at the pointy end.

chef
28-05-2014, 03:56 PM
1992 for me. Five straight through the middle of the season and I thought we were invincible. Del Re was kicking big bags most weeks and we really creamed some teams that year. Pity Geelong were just too good for us at the pointy end.

Paul Deer ruined that year for us.

josie
28-05-2014, 07:43 PM
Thanks Soupman GVGjr and Reload for such great posts.

I'm prematurely forgetful or eternally hopeful. Every weekend I tune in or rock up and watch our beloved doggies. When we are flogged (e.g. 3rd qtr GC) I am initally hurt & angry, then that diffuses (especially after I turn commentary off) into seeing which players are trying their guts out & picking up all the little things they do so well (Libber, Picken, Wood, Griffen - goodness what an effort/leadership Griff showed on Sunday & also Smith and Dalhaus's never say die efforts). Then I wind down and think - oh well there's next week/next year and revert to thinking we'll climb that mountain one day and be that much more enriched because of the long journey and faith we've shown through very lean times.

Three things really gall me - and it's all been written in prior posts - 1) we nearly always get the raw end of the pineapple with the umps (actually I thought we good the smooth end against GC for a change) or perhaps that's my dogs coloured glasses, 2) the etihad stadium deal sucks and we should never, ever have signed it and 3) the cotton candy/confectionary clubs getting our early draft picks & enticing away or young guns which has made it very difficult for us to rebuild quickly.

However we simply must hang in there !!

And I must say just logging into WOOF regularly makes me realise there are lots of passionate, knowledgable dogs fans who make the weeks that much more bearable when we our team is not going so well.

GO DOGS WOOF WOOF WOOF

FrediKanoute
28-05-2014, 11:58 PM
I haven't bothered subscribing to BT Sport over here in the UK or ESPN. Figure getting up early to watch us capitulate is not worth the effort. I am a member that's enough for me.

Cyberdoggie
29-05-2014, 01:41 PM
That's absolutely how I feel.

I didn't watch yesterday's game live because I had other things I'd rather be doing. It took me 3 stints to sit through it all, and even then I probably watched 2.5 quarters.

I didn't go to the Melbourne game because I preferred to go out for dinner and drinks. I eventually watched it on Wednesday but only kept half an eye on it.

The Norf game earlier in the year was the most boring live event I've ever been to... excluding the recent Grease musical I had to suffer through.

I find watching us play exhausting, boring, frustrating, and overall simply a chore.

I don't find AFL footy good to watch in the general at the moment, but we make it worse than it should be. Funnily enough I actually prefer to go and watch the VFL at the moment, maybe because our skill level doesn't seem to bad there.

Add me to the list.

I find the style of football we play and many others as utterly boring.

I'm in no doubt that the numbers around the ball and continuous stoppages is destroying the game we love.
Yes like others here I've had changes in my life that distracted my attention a little but I also feel I can't even watch a replay of a game because there is so little action and entertainment.

Just look at the low number of goals we kick and also the way we kick them. usually from the scrap or fortuitous event, never from a contested mark or exciting break in play through the middle of the ground.

My only hope is that these coaches will see how clubs like Port have been able to dominate by playing exciting football and will follow that path. If Freo end up winning the grand final against Port this year in a defence vs attach contest then that will almost be the end of the game unless the AFL have the balls to make some hard decisions fast.

Ghost Dog
29-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Freo won't be in the grand final this year. Ross Lyon might be the defensive coach to beat, but he hasn't won a final with that brand of footy yet.

Sedat
29-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Western Bulldogs Regular Season Crowds and Attendances
AFL Attendances By Year (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances)

Year
Games
Total
Average

2014 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2014&t=R&h=A)

2013 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2013&t=R&h=A)

2012 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2012&t=R&h=A)

2011 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2011&t=R&h=A)

2010 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2010&t=R&h=A)

2009 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2009&t=R&h=A)

2008 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2008&t=R&h=A)

2007 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2007&t=R&h=A)

2006 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2006&t=R&h=A)

2005 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2005&t=R&h=A)

2004 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2004&t=R&h=A)

2003 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2003&t=R&h=A)

2002 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2002&t=R&h=A)

2001 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2001&t=R&h=A)

2000 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2000&t=R&h=A)

1999 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1999&t=R&h=A)

1998 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1998&t=R&h=A)

1997 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1997&t=R&h=A)

1996 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1996&t=R&h=A)

1995 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1995&t=R&h=A)

1994 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1994&t=R&h=A)

1993 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1993&t=R&h=A)

1992 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1992&t=R&h=A)

1991 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1991&t=R&h=A)

1990 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1990&t=R&h=A)

1989 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1989&t=R&h=A)

1988 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1988&t=R&h=A)

1987 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=1987&t=R&h=A)

You can see from the above table (home and away only) there is a direct correlation between winning seasons and losing seasons. The last two seasons have been our worse seasons since 1996, another bad year.

This year hard to gauge as depends on the mix and still 13 games to go.
There's a correlation between winning seasons and losing seasons but equally there is a correlation between the attractiveness of our game style - our consistency of crowd support from 2005 to 2011 is very interesting.

Remi Moses
29-05-2014, 03:27 PM
Freo won't be in the grand final this year. Ross Lyon might be the defensive coach to beat, but he hasn't won a final with that brand of footy yet.

Bit tough on Lyon . A toe poke in 09 and a bad bounce for Milne and his a dual premiership coach .

bulldogtragic
29-05-2014, 03:30 PM
Yep, agree. Roos won a flag with a previous prototype of it in the naughties.

Remi Moses
29-05-2014, 03:39 PM
There's a correlation between winning seasons and losing seasons but equally there is a correlation between the attractiveness of our game style - our consistency of crowd support from 2005 to 2011 is very interesting.

Amazing how our crowds spiked in 92 and 97 and 98 and in 05.
The only correlation is "winning" .
Sydney under Roos were god awful, but I'd bet they had a crowd spike under his reign.

bornadog
29-05-2014, 03:42 PM

Don't know how you work that out?

Ozza
29-05-2014, 03:44 PM
So why on earth do Freo under Lyon and Stkilda under his reign have very good crowd numbers?

DING DING DING!!! Exactly. It's because they tend to win!

Never underestimate the powerful force that is the bandwagon. Its completely about winning. Even Hawthorn were getting cr@ppy crowd numbers when they were an ordinary side in the first half of the 2000s. Come 2007 and onwards, and all those supporters who grew up with the 80s and '91 flag were back as diehards.

St.Kilda had 14,000 at Etihad v Gold Coast. In 2010 they were getting between 28 and 32K against interstate sides (43K vs us!).
There may be some outside influences such as costs & the economy - and the day and time in which you are playing. But ultimately, many more people will go to the footy if they can attach themselves to success.

Cyberdoggie
29-05-2014, 06:51 PM
You will always get bigger numbers for the teams up the top because they are winning but for the sides around the middle and below I'm sure it's having an impact that the attractiveness of the game isn't there any more.

I used to watch just about every game that was on tv, you would get some good ones and some not as good but at least the game flowed and the forward used to lead at the ball have a good contest, usually 1 on 1.

Now it's just an ugly mess with a ridiculous amount of stoppages. I haven't done the numbers but I bet the numbers of hitouts are going up.

I don't know about you guys but I hate seeing forwards running back towards goal on leads and not towards the player with the ball.
It's boring.

After the north game I tried to convince myself it was just a product of two teams not wanting to lose and it was just a bad game aesthetically. After the Essendon game I was so disgusted in the state of what I was watching from both sides I couldn't sleep for 2 nights thinking about it. The fact that neither side wanted to take the game on and run through the middle of the ground or take any risks disgusted me. We've gone complete full circle under McCartney from when he took over, then the way we started playing last year and now this year we are back to year 1. Kicking it around the boundary line to try and force a stoppage inside 50 and hopefully scrap a goal.
The Melbourne game again was equally as ugly to watch, I think we had under 3 contested marks for the game.
Would it surprise anyone that we average 7.2 contested marks per game this year? That's for the whole team, our leading contested marks are Liam Jones and Will Minson both on 7, that's 1 a game for Liam and .8 per game for Will.
Basically that tells me several things, and in general that we suck at taking marks in contested situations so we play ugly kick it to touch football as a result.
We also did this last year until Campbell came in and straightened us up.

A look at our backline half backs also paints a picture, where is our run generated from? Higgins can't run through anything so just kicks it to a pack along the boundary line is there are no options.
Wood is too scared or turning it over by foot so he tries to play it safe these days, and the opposition know Murphy is our only asset down back so they put some work in to stopping him and his numbers are down this year. Who else do we have that can take the game on from defence without turning the ball over all the time? no one.

If you can have players that are willing to take risks and get away with it just brings the rest of the players into the game naturally. Look at the quality of running options Hawthorn has compared to us. It's scary.

Anyway I'm very apathetic about watching the sport I used to love so much these days and hopefully others feel the same so that perhaps the message gets out that it's just not acceptable. This is the Australian people's game, not the coaches. I think we have a bigger say than we think.

Bulldog4life
02-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Been going to see the Doggies play since I was a kid in the 60's. I am nowhere near burnout. I was at the Fight Back at the Whitten Oval in October 1989 and played a small part. We nearly didn't exist. Now that was burnout.

LostDoggy
02-06-2014, 07:57 PM
I look forward to every year and each game no matter how good or bad we are . I enjoy going to the football with my family and seeing the true members who turn up week after week . After 57 years of my life without a flag I will still go and hope that we will win one. We are one good forward away from being a top yeam and our effort yesterday was great without the final touches against last years runners up ... Toughen up people the good is coming

josie
03-06-2014, 12:28 AM
I look forward to every year and each game no matter how good or bad we are . I enjoy going to the football with my family and seeing the true members who turn up week after week . After 57 years of my life without a flag I will still go and hope that we will win one. We are one good forward away from being a top yeam and our effort yesterday was great without the final touches against last years runners up ... Toughen up people the good is coming

Love your postivity Hughy,

And I too attend Vic games no matter what our form.

I think we need more than a good forward myself, however I'm also not so sure our list is as bad as some posters think. For a start at least we've been competitive in most matches this year. I recall a similar season possibly just prior to us landing Cooney in the draft (or was it the year he was drafted?) where we lost almost every game but were competitive in many. Then the year after that we were on the rise. Things that do concern me are the lack of skill, poise & speed. I think skill & poise are partially due to lack of confidence with young players and hoping some of our quick runners start cementing a spot in the best 22 asap. Also our effective centre clearance work has plummeted compared to 2013 and that's a worry.

Just hoping our list is not as poor as some posters seem to think otherwise we are in for more years of pain and low membership.

chef
17-06-2014, 07:09 AM
Too bad some fans would have missed that being too burnt out.

bornadog
18-10-2022, 09:10 PM
I look forward to every year and each game no matter how good or bad we are . I enjoy going to the football with my family and seeing the true members who turn up week after week . After 57 years of my life without a flag I will still go and hope that we will win one. We are one good forward away from being a top team and our effort yesterday was great without the final touches against last years runners up ... Toughen up people the good is coming

Well Hughy31, after being directed to this thread by GVGjr on twitter and seeing your post, I hope you got to see 2016.

1eyedog
18-10-2022, 10:26 PM
Yes. I didn't attend an AFL game this season. I think my nerves / soul etc. are just shot.

I've been to four AFLW games though.

bornadog
18-10-2022, 11:39 PM
Yes. I didn't attend an AFL game this season. I think my nerves / soul etc. are just shot.

I've been to four AFLW games though.

I have been trying to support the AFLW team, and I am a foundation member. It has a long way to go, but I understand the talent has been spread out amongst all the teams. I find it frustrating at times to watch, and it will only get better.

Have you been taking the kids?

1eyedog
19-10-2022, 11:54 AM
I have been trying to support the AFLW team, and I am a foundation member. It has a long way to go, but I understand the talent has been spread out amongst all the teams. I find it frustrating at times to watch, and it will only get better.

Have you been taking the kids?

I have. While my daughter is absolutely obssessed with Aaron Naughton (she plays wearing a white headband) she enjoys going to the AFLW matches. I take some of her team mates along as well. It's just so accessible. I wish we'd play more of our home games at Ikon Park this year it's a great place to watch footy. The Punt Road game was just a nightmare.

When the women are paid enough to train full time as full time professionals the standard will lift considerably. Also, we have lots of athletic girls crossing over from lots of other sports so in the next 5 years we'll start to have full teams of predominately football girls who grew up playing football. That will help also.

bornadog
19-10-2022, 12:07 PM
I have. While my daughter is absolutely obssessed with Aaron Naughton (plays wearing a white headband) she plays AFL and enjoys going to the AFLW matches. I take some of her team mates along as well. It's just so accessible. I wish we'd play more of our home games at Ikon Park this year it's a great place to watch footy. The Punt Road game was just a nightmare.

When the women are paid enough to train full time as full time professionals the standard will lift considerably. Also, we have lots of athletic girls crossing over from lots of other sports so in the next 5 years we'll start to have full teams of predominately football girls who grew up playing football. That will help also.

I went to Punt Rd as I live not too far away and can walk, and agree the set up that day was awful, especially with the Jack Dyer stand vacant.

Last game is at Ikon, but a Friday night.

1eyedog
19-10-2022, 12:08 PM
I went to Punt Rd as I live not too far away and can walk, and agree the set up that day was awful, especially with the Jack Dyer stand vacant.

Last game is at Ikon, but a Friday night.

We'll be there. I live in Brunswick so it works really well for us.

Believe the Jack Dyer stand is a OH&S issue so you can't sit in it (at least that's what the RFC are saying in the hopes of demolishing the heritage listed building).

bornadog
19-10-2022, 12:22 PM
We'll be there. I live in Brunswick so it works really well for us.

Believe the Jack Dyer stand is a OH&S issue so you can't sit in it (at least that's what the RFC are saying in the hopes of demolishing the heritage listed building).

They have been given the go ahead to demolish.