PDA

View Full Version : MRP round 10

bornadog
26-05-2014, 05:46 PM
Cooney Cleared

Gablett - Insufficient force - cleared.

BUT

Clay Smith, Western Bulldogs, has been charged with a Level Two Engaging in Rough Conduct Offence (225 demerit points, two-match sanction) for engaging in rough conduct against Luke Russell, Gold Coast Suns, during the second quarter of the Round 10 match between the Western Bulldogs and the Gold Coast Suns, played at Metricon Stadium on Sunday May 25, 2014.

In summary, his two-match penalty can be reduced to accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

G-Mo77
26-05-2014, 05:50 PM
I never understand the insufficient force line. So many players that go up are there because of incidental contact and the book is thrown at them yet someone deliberately tries to punch or elbow someone in the face but doesn't hit them hard enough their OK to go on again next week.

Bah! Cooney's off I should be happy shouldn't I?

bornadog
26-05-2014, 05:52 PM
I never understand the insufficient force line. So many players that go up are there because of incidental contact and the book is thrown at them yet someone deliberately tries to punch or elbow someone in the face but doesn't hit them hard enough their OK to go on again next week.

Bah! Cooney's off I should be happy shouldn't I?

Smith out

MRP Said on Cooney:

The match day report against the Western Bulldogs’ Adam Cooney for making forceful contact from front-on against Gold Coast’s Gary Ablett was assessed. The panel said the ball was loosed with Ablett and Cooney coming to the contest at right angles to each other. Ablett and Cooney each bend down with their hands out in front of them in a bid to win possession of the loose ball and contact is made. It was the view of the panel that Cooney was contesting the ball and had no realistic alternative way to contest the ball. No further action was taken.

G-Mo77
26-05-2014, 05:52 PM
Clay Smith 1 week? WTF?

Clay Smith, Western Bulldogs, has been charged with a Level Two Engaging in Rough Conduct Offence (225 demerit points, two-match sanction) for engaging in rough conduct against Luke Russell, Gold Coast Suns, during the second quarter of the Round 10 match between the Western Bulldogs and the Gold Coast Suns, played at Metricon Stadium on Sunday May 25, 2014.

In summary, his two-match penalty can be reduced to accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Gold Coast Suns Football Club, the incident was assessed as reckless conduct (two points), low impact (one point) and high contact (two points). This is a total of five activation points, resulting in a classification of a Level Two Offence, drawing 225 demerit points and a two-match sanction. He has no existing good or bad record. An early plea reduces the penalty by 25 per cent to 168.75 points and a one-match sanction.

G-Mo77
26-05-2014, 05:54 PM
I don't even recall that one?

The Bulldogs Bite
26-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Australian Fickle League.

Joke.

soupman
26-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Found the bolded interesting.

Contact between the Gold Coast’s Gary Ablett and the Western Bulldogs’ Liam Picken from the second quarter of Sunday’s match was assessed. After viewing all available footage and with the MRP conducting an investigation into the matter, it was the view of the panel the contact made to the body was below that required to constitute a reportable offence.

Pretty sure he clearly gets him in the head, although either way he would get off.

bornadog
26-05-2014, 06:04 PM
I didn't see the Smith incident? Anyone shed any light?

soupman
26-05-2014, 06:06 PM
I didn't see the Smith incident? Anyone shed any light?

There isn't any footage that I'm aware of but the AFL site usually has a MRP review video come out soon after the charges.

bornadog
26-05-2014, 06:12 PM
There isn't any footage that I'm aware of but the AFL site usually has a MRP review video come out soon after the charges.

Smith has an injury, being sent for ac scans

bulldogtragic
26-05-2014, 06:13 PM
Smith has an injury, being sent for ac scans

Bis it bad, BAD?

bornadog
26-05-2014, 06:16 PM
Bis it bad, BAD?

from injury thread

Gritty midfielder Clay Smith will undergo scans late Monday after injuring his AC joint during Sunday’s match against the Gold Coast.Smith in his first game back in the senior team from an ACL repair in July last year, received a heavy knock to his right shoulder in a marking contest, yet bravely continued playing.
Western Bulldogs Medical Services Manager Andrew McKenzie said the Club would learn more of Smith’s fate in the next 24 hours.

bulldogtragic
26-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Thanks BAD

jazzadogs
26-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Clay had a big contest on the wing towards the end of the game from memory...I strongly hope that's not what the report was for.

Wouldn't have been great for his AC joint either way, where do we draw the line at players being 'brave' and continuing to play versus acknowledging their injury and sitting out?

Go_Dogs
26-05-2014, 06:50 PM
Tough luck for Smith. Hope his injury assessment comes back ok.

soupman
26-05-2014, 06:51 PM
Where do we draw the line at players being 'brave' and continuing to play versus acknowledging their injury and sitting out?

When your two front teeth get knocked out. At that point I would be on my way to the dentist, not considering playing out the match.

Hotdog60
26-05-2014, 07:01 PM
If it's the one I'm thinking of it was in the 3rd quarter. With about 3.15 to go. Both players going for the ball and it looked like nothing was in it.

G-Mo77
26-05-2014, 07:02 PM
If it's the one I'm thinking of it was in the 3rd quarter. With about 3.15 to go. Both players going for the ball and it looked like nothing was in it.

Doesn't sound like it was that one Hotdog.

soupman
26-05-2014, 07:04 PM
Should be in this video:
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-05-26/charged-round-10

Hot_Doggies
26-05-2014, 07:05 PM

Wasn't that one.

It's on the AFL site, looks like the MRP got it about right.

chef
Clay had a big contest on the wing towards the end of the game from memory...I strongly hope that's not what the report was for.

Wouldn't have been great for his AC joint either way, where do we draw the line at players being 'brave' and continuing to play versus acknowledging their injury and sitting out?

Yep, O'meara must be a big boy as Clay just bounced off him and took a while to get up.

SonofScray
Again, the AFL and their MRP cronies make a mockery of the game and set a horrible precedent for future players. I can't believe how many fans of the game, desperate for some consistency and power in the game are happy to have 'minor incidents' like the Ablett elbow written off. So invested we are in the game not being soft, we're willing to accept shit acts like that now?

The bottom line is, they crucify people for incidental contact in execution of a skill in the game and make excuses for assaults and poor sportsmanship that have no place in the game. It is flat out wrong. I am disgusted.

If the Club could go play another sport, or in another League I'd support that move.

LostDoggy
26-05-2014, 07:06 PM
I saw the Smith one live and knew he was in trouble. Gold Coast player released the ball and Smith left the ground and threw a stray forearm at him. Couldn't tell if he got the head or not.

Hotdog60
26-05-2014, 07:24 PM
Ok from the replay he needs to take the early plea, as for Ablett the MRP must have the Brownlow bet in early.

Flamethrower
26-05-2014, 07:51 PM
No surprise really that Ablett got off. Can't the embarrassment of 1997 again, when someone undeserving takes home Charlie while the real winner sits at home.

I bet if it was Picken hitting Ablett he wouldn't have got off....more like a lifetime ban or the death penalty.

always right
26-05-2014, 08:00 PM
I'm comfortable with the Cooney and Ablett calls. The MRC got it right.

The luckiest bloke in our side is Stevens. He was so close to doing some major damage to Ablett with his feet first soccer challenge. Not intentional but reckless in the extreme. Surprised more wasn't made of it at the time.

Twodogs
26-05-2014, 11:10 PM
Did he play a game last week?

Remi Moses
27-05-2014, 02:55 AM
Pretty much to be accepted .The footage is inconclusive

bornadog
27-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Pretty much to be accepted .The footage is inconclusive

Any contact above the shoulder? To me it's hard to tell

Scorlibo
27-05-2014, 12:26 PM
Picken does the same thing to Ablett and all hell breaks loose, 2 match penalty at least because St. Gary would have played it up. Absolute BS.

bornadog
27-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Smith accepts one week

Sedat
27-05-2014, 04:37 PM
Smith accepts one week
Why did he do this? he should have fought the charge and lost, then copped the 2 weeks and less carry-over points.

Only a small issue but why would we not have instructed Smith to do this???

G-Mo77
27-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Why did he do this? he should have fought the charge and lost, then copped the 2 weeks and less carry-over points.

Only a small issue but why would we not have instructed Smith to do this???

Would the decision have come before his scans today?