PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Cameron...what would you give up?

always right
27-05-2014, 09:28 AM
Okay...it probably won't happen but Jeremy Cameron has put his contract talks on hold which has led to speculation around a return to Victoria. As usual the big clubs will circle including the club he barracks for (Collingwood) but is this our moment, the chance to make a big statement to supporters?

Is Cameron the KPF we've been looking for? Not exactly a pack mark but a genuine KPF nonetheless with some elite attributes. If he is the one we need, it's going to take something pretty special to get him into the red white and blue. Starting point is our first draft pick but we will need to throw something else at him and we're not talking steak knives.

Who would you trade that has real currency? Please don't throw up the usual suspects...this is going to need us to bite the bullet and give up someone very good for someone who might make our team great. Here's a list of players I think are up for consideration and those who I think are off limits;

Off Limits
Libba
Griffen
Dahlhaus
Roughy
McCrae
Bontempelli

Most currency
Stringer
Hrovat
Talia
Hunter
Minson
Cooney
Crameri

Next tier
JJ
Wood
Grant
Dickson
Campbell
Wallis

The rest are either too old or have little currency in terms of GWS needs. Would you give up any of the top bracket with the most currency if it mean't getting the KPF we've longed for? Hopefully I haven't missed anyone significant.

jeemak
27-05-2014, 09:30 AM
First pick and Jack Macrae or Dahlhaus would be required to get it done. I'd almost do it, seriously.

always right
27-05-2014, 09:31 AM
I was thinking first pick plus Stringer.

jeemak
27-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Whoever we give up in addition to our first pick would need to come along with exposed quality form. At this point I don't think Stringer has enough of that, though by the end of the season he may have.

I have a level of reluctance to give up Stringer based around him likely to turn out to be a goal kicking midfielder/forward who will be hard to match up on in the air and at ground level once he matures. Those types of players are very difficult to find.

azabob
27-05-2014, 09:36 AM
If we are serious, the only two off limits are Roughead and Liberatore.

But I wouldn't even entertain it, not worth giving up the first pick and one of the others you listed in your untouchables file.

azabob
27-05-2014, 09:37 AM
Guys and Gals, to clarify isn't he signed up until end of 2015 not 2014?

always right
27-05-2014, 09:55 AM
If we are serious, the only two off limits are Roughead and Liberatore.

But I wouldn't even entertain it, not worth giving up the first pick and one of the others you listed in your untouchables file.

I wasn't suggesting we give up anyone of the untouchables (off limits), hence the term untouchables. I'm looking at the "most currency" bracket.

azabob
27-05-2014, 10:00 AM
I wasn't suggesting we give up anyone of the untouchables (off limits), hence the term untouchables. I'm looking at the "most currency" bracket.

Fair enough.

I think Talia would be of most interest due to their lack of key defenders and Talia has shown promise in that role, albeit he has stagnated breifly this year.

I still think we'd need to package up Talia & Stringer or Talia and Hrovat and our first round draft pick.

always right
27-05-2014, 10:06 AM
Fair enough.

I think Talia would be of most interest due to their lack of key defenders and Talia has shown promise in that role, albeit he has stagnated breifly this year.

I still think we'd need to package up Talia & Stringer or Talia and Hrovat and our first round draft pick.

I reckon that would be overs......but maybe that's what it will take.

LostDoggy
27-05-2014, 10:06 AM
I think the best approach would be to try and snare another early pick from another club.

In my opinion Roughy, Libba, Griffen and Dal would be about the only players they would consider with our first pick.

Brisbane need a bit of everything and will have a very early pick by the looks. But again we would need to give up quality to get the pick off them.

LostDoggy
27-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Guys and Gals, to clarify isn't he signed up until end of 2015 not 2014?

Yes, 2015, but that just means it has to be a trade. 2015 would mean PSD.

LostDoggy
27-05-2014, 10:40 AM
The Judd deal from memory was Pick 3, 20 and Kennedy. Getting Cameron would take something similiar I would suggest.

mighty_west
27-05-2014, 11:01 AM
Whoever they want plus our first round pick, he will be a genuine superstar make no mistake and the bidding war on this kid will be enormous.

Twodogs
27-05-2014, 11:16 AM
The Judd deal from memory was Pick 3, 20 and Kennedy. Getting Cameron would take something similiar I would suggest.

Carlton paid way overs for Judd. In all reality what has Judd's presence done for them? Has it won them a flag? Has it even moved them closer to a flag? Who is more likely to play in a premiership, Judd or Kennedy-I'd say Kennedy.

In a way it's the curse of a player nominating your club. Sure it's great that a big name player thinks your club is well enough run and is close enough to success to want to come and play for you but it's a double edged sword. It means you now are more or less obliged to make his trade work and gives the player's original club the whip hand. In Judd's case West Coast could sit back and make demands
Knowing that nong-head Caaaaarlton supporters would burn down Optus Oval if the trade wasn't done.

In this case if Cameron wants to come and we can work out a trade that is beneficial and fair (our first pick and maybe a player) to both clubs then great. But if we can't and he goes somewhere else that's great too, we can draft and develop our own.

azabob
27-05-2014, 11:18 AM
, we can draft and develop our own.

From a key forward perspective how's that worked out for us? ;)

Mantis
27-05-2014, 11:22 AM

Not so sure.. Judd was pretty much the best player in the comp and Carlton had to cough up a lot (too much) to get him.

Cameron has value, but I would think as well as pick 20 only one of Kennedy (equivalent type) or pick 3 would be required in this deal.

LostDoggy
27-05-2014, 11:40 AM
Carlton paid way overs for Judd. In all reality what has Judd's presence done for them? Has it won them a flag? Has it even moved them closer to a flag? Who is more likely to play in a premiership, Judd or Kennedy-I'd say Kennedy.

In a way it's the curse of a player nominating your club. Sure it's great that a big name player thinks your club is well enough run and is close enough to success to want to come and play for you but it's a double edged sword. It means you now are more or less obliged to make his trade work and gives the player's original club the whip hand. In Judd's case West Coast could sit back and make demands
Knowing that nong-head Caaaaarlton supporters would burn down Optus Oval if the trade wasn't done.

In this case if Cameron wants to come and we can work out a trade that is beneficial and fair (our first pick and maybe a player) to both clubs then great. But if we can't and he goes somewhere else that's great too, we can draft and develop our own.

Judd has won 3 B&F's, 3 All-Australian honours and a Brownlow since joining the Blues. Not sure if keeping Kennedy and pick 3 (Masten) would have them getting any closure to a flag than they have with Judd.

bornadog
27-05-2014, 12:05 PM
We should go all out with this one. Cameron can seriously play. I would offer him personally big dollars. No idea on players by they can have our first round

jeemak
27-05-2014, 12:06 PM

I tend to agree.

The Judd trade was great for Carlton off field, feeding their shallow and short sighted membership with magic pudding but ultimately it distracted them from concentrating on what would really bring them long term success.

They are a club and membership that believes big single player signings and highly paid coaches are enough to bring success in the modern era, just like they did in the decades past. They will not be a serious contender until they learn this line of thinking is redundant.

Greystache
27-05-2014, 12:15 PM
I would do our first round pick and any player on our list other than Libba, Griff, and Roughead. Libba will be our best player over the next 10 years, Griff is our captain, and Roughead is the only quality key position player we've drafted and developed in 10 years.

Everyone else is an option, including Dahlhaus and McRae. Cameron is 21 and will be a key pillar of any team for the next 10 years. You could try 20 times and not land that type of player (and we have), if he's an option you have to take it.

I would offer less for Patton, and even less again for Boyd at the moment, they haven't converted talent into performance the way Cameron has to justify the expenditure.

Scorlibo
27-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Fair enough.

I reckon that would be overs......but maybe that's what it will take.

Talia and Hrovat would not even come close to getting the deal done. Talia and Stringer gets closer but still not nearly enough. Talia at this stage has less value than the pick he was drafted with, he's no certainty to make it as a regular senior player. We would need to be looking at Stringer + our first round pick, or something similar.

Carlton were an absolute rabble before Judd arrived. He lifted them off the bottom of the ladder, to finals and brought a competitive, winning attitude. 3, 20 and Kennedy is honestly a bargain in retrospect. The Eagles drafted Masten and Notte with those picks. Masten is just a so-so midfielder and Tony did Notte make it. Kennedy is a good player but asked if you'd take Kennedy + Masten or Chris Judd - the answer is obvious isn't it?

azabob
27-05-2014, 12:34 PM
Talia and Hrovat would not even come close to getting the deal done. Talia and Stringer gets closer but still not nearly enough. Talia at this stage has less value than the pick he was drafted with, he's no certainty to make it as a regular senior player. We would need to be looking at Stringer + our first round pick, or something similar.

I was suggesting a package of

Talia, Hrovat and our first round pick

OR

Talia, Stringer and our first round pick.

Mantis
27-05-2014, 01:04 PM
I would do our first round pick and any player on our list other than Libba, Griff, and Roughead. Libba will be our best player over the next 10 years, Griff is our captain, and Roughead is the only quality key position player we've drafted and developed in 10 years.

Everyone else is an option, including Dahlhaus and McRae. Cameron is 21 and will be a key pillar of any team for the next 10 years. You could try 20 times and not land that type of player (and we have), if he's an option you have to take it.

I would offer less for Patton, and even less again for Boyd at the moment, they haven't converted talent into performance the way Cameron has to justify the expenditure.

Fair call... I agree with your summation, but would place Dahlhaus in the untouchable zone as he has pace and I see him being an extremely good contributor in the midfield in years to come.

Mofra
27-05-2014, 01:07 PM
GWS will look at a small half-forward type, someone who can run in the midfield or kick goals.
They're pretty well set for all other positions with the exception of a genuine extractor.

Greystache
27-05-2014, 01:10 PM
Fair call... I agree with your summation, but would place Dahlhaus in the untouchable zone as he has pace and I see him being an extremely good contributor in the midfield in years to come.

He has pace and he's quite creative, but his skills aren't great and he is small. I think we can find another player to cover him in the next couple of drafts, I doubt we'll get a Cameron in that time. Big trades come at a big price, I think Dahlhaus would potentially have to be that price.

The Doctor
27-05-2014, 01:38 PM

Agree

I think it is essential for us to not only secure a super player like Cameron but to also strike a serious blow against a club that will soon become a super team. If we are to build our way to being a premiership challenger in a few years then weakening one of our most likely rivals is not only smart but essential.

bornadog
27-05-2014, 01:48 PM
What dollars would you offer him?

i think it would have to be getting close to a million

Mofra
27-05-2014, 02:07 PM

The article say $1m per season, and I'd pay it. We have a mid-20s age gap so can certainly accomodate his salary.

Also worth considering how many more members we would attract by finally having a genuine tall forward.

bulldogtragic
27-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Pick 4, Smith and Talia would be near a win/win if we think JC is worth it.

The bulldog tragician
27-05-2014, 02:17 PM
I get where this speculation comes from and recognise and of course share the temptation to snare a potential champion... but am I the only one that feels a bit jittery about how important it is to get this absolutely right - and concerned and fearful that we may not, and meanwhile squander the young talent that we've so patiently nurtured and who may still be champions for us?

I find myself immediately fearing the dreadful sight of Jake Stringer kicking a bag on grand final day for GWS while Dalhaus wins the Norm Smith. And meanwhile how do we know whether Jeremy Cameron, hampered by persistent injury for example, might perhaps join the long line of Great White Hopes that fail to deliver up to their promise. Judging who will be a great player at an early stage is such an inexact science, and many players blossom much later than expected. Brian Lake, who became probably our best ever full-back, was a very average player in his first 70 or 80 games, remember.

Our list problems at present are so widespread that looking for one squillion dollar messiah might not be the answer. We're not like a Hawthorn or Sydney who are tantalisingly close to a flag and can gamble on that one player (Lake/Buddy) to get them over the line. We have deficits across every line and paying one player so much money will leave little room for building strength across the board. (I do realise by the way that boldness and bravery is called for to get these trades done - and offering Koby Stevens and Tory Dickson may, unfortunately, not cut it. But I'm still nervous!!)

Greystache
27-05-2014, 02:26 PM

It would need to be you'd think. It's a lot but there's also a pay off in a number of areas in return. Worth the money for me.

bulldogtragic
27-05-2014, 02:31 PM
It would need to be you'd think. It's a lot but there's also a pay off in a number of areas in return. Worth the money for me.

Yep, Boyd, Cameron & Patton would all be our (equal) number 1 marque player. Kicking 50-60 goals gets kids excited, sells jumpers and numbers and creates a buzz. Just on his wage, I agree, worth every cent.

Twodogs
27-05-2014, 02:37 PM
What about a 3 club move? IE Talia +picks to Adelaide (for example) for whoeveridontreallyknowthecrowslistverywell + picks to GWS and one of GWS's key forwards to us?

bornadog
27-05-2014, 02:38 PM
I would not be giving Talia away.

We don't have any tall players as it is.

Twodogs
27-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Carlton were an absolute rabble before Judd arrived. He lifted them off the bottom of the ladder, to finals and brought a competitive, winning attitude. 3, 20 and Kennedy is honestly a bargain in retrospect. The Eagles drafted Masten and Notte with those picks. Masten is just a so-so midfielder and Tony did Notte make it. Kennedy is a good player but asked if you'd take Kennedy + Masten or Chris Judd - the answer is obvious isn't it?

I guess that's part of the skill of the recruiter isn't it? Being able to cast your eye over the draft pool and making a call on who the club you are dealing with will go with and what their true worth is.

Greystache
27-05-2014, 03:38 PM
I guess that's part of the skill of the recruiter isn't it? Being able to cast your eye over the draft pool and making a call on who the club you are dealing with will go with and what their true worth is.

Exactly. Had they called out the names of the player directly before their choice they end up with Trent Cotchin and Callan Ward. Add that to Kennedy and everyone is saying the trade was a disaster for Carlton.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-05-2014, 03:53 PM
Roughead, Libba and Griff off limits but that's it.

I love Dahl and would fight tooth and nail to keep him, but if that's what it took to get the deal done, so be it.

Mantis
27-05-2014, 04:13 PM
I love Dahl and would fight tooth and nail to keep him, but if that's what it took to get the deal done, so be it.

I would think our younger fans will be mightily pissed off if we traded out Dahl... He is by far the fan favourite of the younger supporter and is being used as the face of our junior membership packages.

Greystache
27-05-2014, 04:15 PM
I would think our younger fans will be mightily pissed off if we traded out Dahl... He is by far the fan favourite of the younger supporter and is being used as the face of our junior membership packages.

That's a good point. Dahl would probably have to be the 4th player off limits.

ReLoad
27-05-2014, 04:28 PM
first off, a million bucks isnt over for what he can deliver, he has been amazing in the crappest team ever to hit the field, imagine him in a half decent side.

Given the salary cap growth and room we have id be making a big play, and probably only Libba is the only one I wouldn't trade, anyone else, fair game.

We should have done Minson for Patton last year before Mumford filled the need.

bulldogtragic
27-05-2014, 05:12 PM
first off, a million bucks isnt over for what he can deliver, he has been amazing in the crappest team ever to hit the field, imagine him in a half decent side.

Given the salary cap growth and room we have id be making a big play, and probably only Libba is the only one I wouldn't trade, anyone else, fair game.

We should have done Minson for Patton last year before Mumford filled the need.

Isn't footy a leveler. Last year Minno was untouchable, memberships threatened to be non renewed... Now where is Minno at compared to having a future gun KPF?

Twodogs
27-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Isn't footy a leveler. Last year Minno was untouchable, memberships threatened to be non renewed... Now where is Minno at compared to having a future gun KPF?

Wil Wil come good.

LostDoggy
27-05-2014, 08:47 PM
For Cameron; any player on our list plus our first rounder - including Libba, Dahlhaus, Griff or Roughead. Only if the player actually wanted to go the other way though e.g they were offered a Ward type deal in return by GWS. Dahlhaus would suck most because of the marketing upside he brings. Even Libba and Griff are replaceable. Cameron is a Lockett, a Gary Ablett senior. You pay whatever you have to to get them early in their careers or you regret it for ever. Conversely; if Cameron was on our list already we would absolutely demand similar or more to remotely contemplate a trade.

jeemak
27-05-2014, 09:35 PM
I've said in other threads that I think if the best player in the draft this year happens to be a KPF, and GWS have the first pick they'd take him.

I think they're exposed to players leaving more so than any other club in the league, and Cameron will be one of many.

Scorlibo
27-05-2014, 10:10 PM

Exactly. Had they called out the names of the player directly before their choice they end up with Trent Cotchin and Callan Ward. Add that to Kennedy and everyone is saying the trade was a disaster for Carlton.

In golf terms the recruiters registered a bogey, but if they'd picked up Cotchin and Ward that would have been an eagle. If they score a par with their selections then the trade looks more favourable, but in retrospect I don't see how there could be any contention to Carlton having won out.

boydogs
27-05-2014, 10:52 PM
In golf terms the recruiters registered a bogey, but if they'd picked up Cotchin and Ward that would have been an eagle. If they score a par with their selections then the trade looks more favourable, but in retrospect I don't see how there could be any contention to Carlton having won out.

I wouldn't mind Josh Kennedy about now

Remi Moses
28-05-2014, 12:59 AM
Maybe the reasoning for picking up so many talls is they're a higher commodity come trade/ draft time.
They're going to lose a few, you'd imagine.
A player you could build a side around, and it would be a first rounder and a quality player.
Mark Robinson got the story from someone close to Jeremy Cameron.
Fun Times.

lemmon
28-05-2014, 01:19 AM
I'm going to wait till there's a bit more to go on than just Mark Robinson and his unnamed source, he's not exactly high on my credibility rankings

jeemak
28-05-2014, 01:57 AM

I genuinely appreciate what you're getting at Scorlibo. At the same time, I genuinely appreciate what others are getting at.

What I would say though, is Judd was recruited for the dual purposes of pumping up membership and winning a flag. I can't underestimate the emphasis on the latter. Carlton when recruiting Judd, had two or so first round draft picks in their hands (or about to be) and were on their way - according to them.

When evaluating the Judd trade, you need to include the meaning behind the actions of Carlton leading up to it. They didn't just think they were bolstering their line up, they thought they were finishing it off to complete their list to win a flag. With that in mind, they gave up a gun KPF.

Judd no doubt got them to a competitive position. But his recruitment and his persona was never going to get them more than just being competitive due to the attitude their club holds towards winning, and the way in which you get there.

Dancin' Douggy
28-05-2014, 10:14 AM
Now apparently there are a bunch (4/5?) potential A grade key forwards in this coming draft. If we end up with a pick in this vicinity (which I think we will) Why not just draft one of these young guns and KEEP our other young stars?

1eyedog
28-05-2014, 10:41 AM
It's great to think positively about a Cameron trade, we are a club that has taken a back seat on signing big names for far too long and we need to look past our unfashionable image and ugly playing style and think like we can make it happen. If Ward can get to GWS on big coin, the promise of being made captain and a long-term secure contract then we can get Cameron to the club. Bu what will it take? Everyone on the table except Libba including Roughie, Griffen and Dahlhaus, at least 1m a year and a 7-8 year contract as per Franklin. Every single club will be interested in Cameron and to be honest we will be low on his list so we need to make up for that by paying overs and making the choice too good to refuse - that may also include the offer of being Captain of the club. All of this has the potential to impact on the existing playing group and how they would handle the trading out of a quality player and a good friend, having Cameron come into the club on at least 1m a year and also being made captain of the club but I need to back the professionalism of our players in and the big sell that this kid could just be the keystone of a team that can reach a Grand Final.

If we want him we can't go in half-arsed or we'll miss out big time. He's a 10 year player right now and may be as good as anyone has ever been at CHF when he retires. That's worth the coin, trading someone like Roughie / Dahlhaus out and giving them our first round pick.

westdog54
28-05-2014, 11:25 AM
Now apparently there are a bunch (4/5?) potential A grade key forwards in this coming draft. If we end up with a pick in this vicinity (which I think we will) Why not just draft one of these young guns and KEEP our other young stars?

Short answer? Because Cameron WILL be a champ.

There is no doubt about it. As others have said, he's a proven commodity. He's kicking bags of goals in an insipid side. He came 3rd in the Coleman in his second season of football. How many 19 year old can you remember kicking 60 in a season?

He is the sort of player that doesn't have an 'overs' level when it comes to trade value.

The only players of the table in this discussion are Griff, Libba and Roughy. That's it. From a footballing perspective everyone else can be covered.

Great thread by the way.

LostDoggy
28-05-2014, 11:53 AM

The issue with this is, Cameron is ready to go right now and is already an elite proven performer right now.

If we draft a young key forward in this years draft, how long will they take to actually develop? Tom Boyd absolutely dominated under 18 level as a key forward and looks miles off it at AFL at this stage.

Getting Cameron as apossed to a young kid in this years draft means we may be pushing for finals while Morris, Murphy, Griffen, Minson, Cooney ect are all still playing good footy.

It also means when those senior guys hang up the boots, we still have Cameron in his prime years playing alongside our younger brigade.

I would certaintly hope we would prefer this than drafting a young kid this year who 'may' turn out to be a good player.

Happy Days
28-05-2014, 11:54 AM
Short answer? Because Cameron WILL be a champ.

There is no doubt about it. As others have said, he's a proven commodity. He's kicking bags of goals in an insipid side. He came 3rd in the Coleman in his second season of football. How many 19 year old can you remember kicking 60 in a season?

He is the sort of player that doesn't have an 'overs' level when it comes to trade value.

The only players of the table in this discussion are Griff, Libba and Roughy. That's it. From a footballing perspective everyone else can be covered.

Great thread by the way.

Yep 100% agree.

He showed last year that if he can get the ball in any space he will hit the scoreboard. That's the sort of stuff that wins games and puts people in seats.

We want to talk untouchables, but who here would have the balls to walk if they asked for Libba and our first pick?

bornadog
28-05-2014, 11:59 AM
It's great to think positively about a Cameron trade, we are a club that has taken a back seat on signing big names for far too long and we need to look past our unfashionable image and ugly playing style and think like we can make it happen. If Ward can get to GWS on big coin, the promise of being made captain and a long-term secure contract then we can get Cameron to the club. Bu what will it take? Everyone on the table except Libba including Roughie, Griffen and Dahlhaus, at least 1m a year and a 7-8 year contract as per Franklin. Every single club will be interested in Cameron and to be honest we will be low on his list so we need to make up for that by paying overs and making the choice too good to refuse - that may also include the offer of being Captain of the club. All of this has the potential to impact on the existing playing group and how they would handle the trading out of a quality player and a good friend, having Cameron come into the club on at least 1m a year and also being made captain of the club but I need to back the professionalism of our players in and the big sell that this kid could just be the keystone of a team that can reach a Grand Final.

If we want him we can't go in half-arsed or we'll miss out big time. He's a 10 year player right now and may be as good as anyone has ever been at CHF when he retires. That's worth the coin, trading someone like Roughie / Dahlhaus out and giving them our first round pick.

Read an article the other day that both Westcoast and us have been surprised at the level of sledging by GWS towards our players. Bulldogs mentioned sledges like we are a rubbish club, no premierships etc etc.

Yes we are not a fashionable club, but we must get over this and put the dollars on the table to Cameron, show him the facilities, get Macca in his ear.

Next years draft may contain many young KPP, but we can't wait to develop them and they may not turn out. Lets go all out for this bloke. (for once)

1eyedog
28-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Read an article the other day that both Westcoast and us have been surprised at the level of sledging by GWS towards our players. Bulldogs mentioned sledges like we are a rubbish club, no premierships etc etc.

Yes we are not a fashionable club, but we must get over this and put the dollars on the table to Cameron, show him the facilities, get Macca in his ear.

Next years draft may contain many young KPP, but we can't wait to develop them and they may not turn out. Lets go all out for this bloke. (for once)

Yep. It doesn't matter what they say or what they think. Money gets things done. Set this kid up for the rest of his life and get him back to Victoria. As I said if Ward would leave all his mates at the Bulldogs to join a team that didn't even exist all for the lure of big coin and security then Cameron can get to us. We have a good culture, good facilities and a good young list to be excited about.

Dancin' Douggy
28-05-2014, 12:35 PM
The issue with this is, Cameron is ready to go right now and is already an elite proven performer right now.

If we draft a young key forward in this years draft, how long will they take to actually develop? Tom Boyd absolutely dominated under 18 level as a key forward and looks miles off it at AFL at this stage.

Getting Cameron as apossed to a young kid in this years draft means we may be pushing for finals while Morris, Murphy, Griffen, Minson, Cooney ect are all still playing good footy.

It also means when those senior guys hang up the boots, we still have Cameron in his prime years playing alongside our younger brigade.

I would certaintly hope we would prefer this than drafting a young kid this year who 'may' turn out to be a good player.

OK. That's a fairly convincing argument. Would just really hate to stuff up the trade.
Who to trade out is just so hard. I'd hate to lose Stringer. I still believe he will be a BEAST of a player.
Dalhaus is all the kids favourite. Libba is well..........Libba. Cooney is prob not an option with his knee. Would they go for Clay Smith? Other players with currency I reckon are.....J.Grant, T.Campbell (looks to be tracking well by ruckmen's timelines), or otherwise we offer up Minson and stick with Campbell ourselves. S.Higgins might be a surprise package if his year keeps tracking as it is. I don't think I could bear to trade Griffen. Hrovat is unproven, Macrae would hurt. Wallis???? Sheesh, is it just too bad Kharma to trade a father/son so young? And from such a club legend too? I know both the Shaw boys were traded out by the Pies, but they had both really reached that point in their careers. Easton Wood might be tempting for them, it's a tough one.

Bulldog Joe
28-05-2014, 12:35 PM
Yep. It doesn't matter what they say or what they think. Money gets things done. Set this kid up for the rest of his life and get him back to Victoria. As I said if Ward would leave all his mates at the Bulldogs to join a team that didn't even exist all for the lure of big coin and security then Cameron can get to us. We have a good culture, good facilities and a good young list to be excited about.

To be able to get him we will also need to start putting some results on the board.

If we can't make the prospect of playing with us any more exciting than being at GWS, we have no hope of getting his signature.

1eyedog
28-05-2014, 12:38 PM
To be able to get him we will also need to start putting some results on the board.

If we can't make the prospect of playing with us any more exciting than being at GWS, we have no hope of getting his signature.

Agreed and I think the way we played at the end of last season was one of a few reasons Crammers decided a move to us was in his best interest.

GVGjr
28-05-2014, 07:33 PM

It's what happens when you put a lot of young players together without strong leadership in place. I do recall that when Schofield did it to the West Coast players in a practice game it was seen as a positive for him. 12 months later he wanted to return home and hasn't played in the AFL since.

Half of the GWS youngsters sledging sides will probably want to return home to Victoria in the next year or two. They might talk like they are an authority on life in the AFL but most of them have no idea.

chef
28-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Sadly he's going to want to go to a big club or a club near the top if he wants to come back to Vic.

Hold onto our kids and picks and keep drafting.

josie
28-05-2014, 08:05 PM
What an exciting thread.

I like the +ve thinking to get Cameron, I'm even willing to entertain giving up one of our best players & our 1st draft pick. But if we pay a lot of money then that puts the squeeze on the rest of the group and we are likely to lose more good players as we will not be able to pay them market price. I'd love to get Cameron, grow membership and have lots of excitement however the club would need to weigh up the considerable risks and our $ constraints. Equalisation - what's happened with that discussion recently?

Worth another post......Can we do what Port have done? Their turnaround has been nothing short of amazing and Hinkley seems to have been a big part of it. They also have not had a massive turnover on their list. They have no Buddy, no Tippet etc. From the few games I saw a few years ago there skills seemed to be low yet now many of the same players seem confident and skilled.

I pray we can do this too, and that the often woeful disposal skills and hesitation our players seem to have is more b/w the ears than reflective of their real abilities.

Port do have quick players who have a lot of endurance, that is perhaps a marked difference (?inbuilt/good recruiting or training methods or mix of both?).

bornadog
28-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Sadly he's going to want to go to a big club or a club near the top if he wants to come back to Vic.

Hold onto our kids and picks and keep drafting.

Apparently was a Collingwood supporter - but dollars do talk.

Flamethrower
29-05-2014, 08:23 PM
First we need to trade for another 1st round pick, then trade the 2 first round picks to GWS along with their choice of any 2 players not named Liberatore, Griffen or Roughead.

Offer Cameron a 5 year $10 million contract.

jeemak
29-05-2014, 10:41 PM
First we need to trade for another 1st round pick, then trade the 2 first round picks to GWS along with their choice of any 2 players not named Liberatore, Griffen or Roughead.

Don't mind the first part of the post, it's almost what we'd need to do (adding one or so more players to the untouchable list considering we're throwing in two first round picks).

Can't agree with the second point. One player taking up 20% of the cap is over the top. If it was doable it would already have been done.

1eyedog
30-05-2014, 01:04 PM

Yeah we cannot afford this sort of money under the cap...no-one can.

bulldogtragic
30-05-2014, 01:06 PM
Forget about picks and cash, for our greater good in getting Cameron, my left nut is on offer. One because that's pretty serious, and two, because it will never happen. But fantasy has got us all through this week. If it's another flogging, I think we think about Chad Wingard next week.

Eastdog
01-06-2014, 09:39 PM
After today's match I really think now his worth considering. Could have been a different story if Cameron was up there taking marks from our deliveries in the 50.

bulldogtragic
01-06-2014, 09:47 PM
After today's match I really think now his worth considering. Could have been a different story if Cameron was up there taking marks from our deliveries in the 50.

Maybe a change for next year Eastie, not even Lockett would have touched it today.

LostDoggy
01-06-2014, 11:05 PM
I think he'll end up at the Swans.

bornadog
02-06-2014, 12:05 AM

Had a very bad day at the G