PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned - Round 11 Edition

Eastdog
27-05-2014, 05:38 PM
Once the Round 11 match against Fremantle is completed, let us know the three things you learned after watching the match.

Be constructive but be honest.

GVGjr
01-06-2014, 06:18 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
01-06-2014, 06:41 PM
1. It's a hard slog being a life long member
2. We've got some hope in Hrovat, Macrae and Bontempelli
3. I've learned the wooden spoon is on the table (I hope like hell it doesn't eventuate)

Things I already knew but happened again might be another thread.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-06-2014, 07:05 PM
1, Will the coach ever man up the extra person in our forward line? News flash our forwards are struggling and having an extra person down blocking the whole is not helping.
2, I'm getting a little over the "Kids" thing. I don't want to wait 3 years. I expect us to be better than what we are showing now!
3, Can someone please tell me why our guys do no block and get stuck into the turd tagging our best player. The Suns show more sprit than we do to protect and get Ablett into space.

chef
01-06-2014, 07:05 PM
1. We weren't that bad and are on the right track. 1/2 a bit of luck and a bit more composure in the forward 50 and we would have been right in the game against a very, very good opponent.

2. Stevens lack of awareness is going to stop him being a decent player.

3. We've got to get rid of that one bad quarter that keeps plaguing us.

PedroArvy
01-06-2014, 07:10 PM
1. Our intent was there and we didnt lose spirit and get belted when it could easily have happened.

2. We don't have a solid marking forward.

3. And without good crumbers it means goals are going to be limited.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-06-2014, 07:13 PM
2. We don't have a solid marking forward.

3. And without good crumbers it means goals are going to be limited.

Dont we miss Grant!

ReLoad
01-06-2014, 07:14 PM
we do not have anyone in the team who can kick a running goal outside 50.
Its the obvious way to bust apart Freo's zone.
We used to totally dominate due to opposition teams having to double zone, now since we cant kick outside 45 they simply clog us up.
We are getting plenty of the footy, but of course with that congestion we dont stand a chance, look at freo's goals all open and easy thanks to thier gut running ability.
Ross Lyon has developed the worst football the game has ever seen and he has blighted our game.
Fletcher Roberts is a deer int he headlights.

Greystache
01-06-2014, 07:31 PM
1. We have no forward structure, players that instinctively know when or where to lead or find space, or players that can kick to advantage on the rare occasion that we have an option. It seems our game plan is limited to win the ball and tackle them when they've got it. 67 inside 50's and 6 goals, *!*!*!*! me!

2. We are shedding supporters in droves. It was funny hearing the 40 something year old around us snoring during the 2nd quarter, but it was much less funny hearing the 12 year old arguing with his Dad in the 3rd quarter demanding they go home. He finally got his way at 3/4 time when he shouted "I don't care, I don't want to be here, I don't want to watch this, can we just go home". And the family did.

3. I've been a lifelong supporter but I have no interest in watching us play.

lemmon
01-06-2014, 07:39 PM
1. We are quickly becoming obsolete, Brisbane won, the Dees ran Port close and as I type GWS are in it up to their eye balls against the Hawks. Seems everyone else is on the escalator and we are struggling up the stairs
2. Tutt still lacks so much composure, just manically bombs it
3. Bonts will be a gun but I wish he had a touch more pace, his kicking is so good on the outside it would make him a genuine linking weapon

boydogs
01-06-2014, 07:52 PM
1. Fremantle make you be smart about bringing it inside 50. Wish we could play them every week until we learn the lesson
2. Hrovat knows how to work the system, 6 frees today. Reminds me of Gia like that
3. Wallis can still make it, beat Fyfe today

GVGjr
01-06-2014, 08:12 PM
1. Fremantle make you be smart about bringing it inside 50. Wish we could play them every week until we learn the lesson
2. Hrovat knows how to work the system, 6 frees today. Reminds me of Gia like that
3. Wallis can still make it, beat Fyfe today

Who did Wallis switch onto after half time? He shut him does as well.

Good observations.

comrade
01-06-2014, 08:17 PM
1. We have no forward structure, players that instinctively know when or where to lead or find space, or players that can kick to advantage on the rare occasion that we have an option. It seems our game plan is limited to win the ball and tackle them when they've got it. 67 inside 50's and 6 goals, *!*!*!*! me!

2. We are shedding supporters in droves. It was funny hearing the 40 something year old around us snoring during the 2nd quarter, but it was much less funny hearing the 12 year old arguing with his Dad in the 3rd quarter demanding they go home. He finally got his way at 3/4 time when he shouted "I don't care, I don't want to be here, I don't want to watch this, can we just go home". And the family did.

There were moments today where I was thinking to myself that the 3 hours I dedicate to watching the Bulldogs are some of the most unsatisfying of my week.

Ghost Dog
01-06-2014, 08:19 PM
It is very very unsatisfying to know the ball is in the 50 and still have to face the fact, it may as well be at the other end of the ground, such are our chances of scoring.

bulldogtragic
01-06-2014, 08:20 PM

Pains me to say, I couldn't agree more. I'm feeling like i was 30 games into the Rhode dynasty. It's not an enjoyable position to be in.

LostDoggy
01-06-2014, 08:26 PM
1. Bonti, Macrae, Stringer and Hrovat should play as many games as possible this season, they are the future
2. Jeez, we lack a alot of pace in the midfield.
3. I never thought I'd say this but we really do miss Jarrad Grant

azabob
01-06-2014, 08:52 PM
1. Dahlhaus just keeps on keeping on. Shows no fear and just makes things happen. He just keeps getting better.

2. Tutt has the tools to make it -Tools we desperately need - after today's game I don't think he will.

3. Hrovat - a very smart player and will get only better when he gets his match fitness up and can push into the midfield. Fingers crossed he can get stronger through the hips and legs so he can get further penetration in his kicking.

Hot_Doggies
01-06-2014, 09:33 PM
1. Dahlhaus just keeps on keeping on. Shows no fear and just makes things happen. He just keeps getting better.

2. Tutt has the tools to make it -Tools we desperately need - after today's game I don't think he will.

3. Hrovat - a very smart player and will get only better when he gets his match fitness up and can push into the midfield. Fingers crossed he can get stronger through the hips and legs so he can get further penetration in his kicking.

I thought Tutt was ok today.

LostDoggy
01-06-2014, 09:41 PM
1. I'm really struggling like alot of you on here. Conversations in my house have drifted in and out of whether a code switch to The soccer is even viable.

2. I'm sick of injustice, sick of inequity, sick of expansion clubs, sick of being shocking, sick of Callum wards, sick of draft picks being pissed away, sick of losing and sick to my guts that the only way we will win a flag is more kids, more draft picks more being aweful and then running into the twin brick walls of GWS and GCS. I'm even more sick that the fat slobs at AFL house will be smugly satisfied when one of their expansion horror twins win flag; with 6,000 pseudo members; whilst we bend over for our 65th year...

3. I love our club. Been a member for 35 years. The AFL, the eddies, the Ireland's, the cheaters, the filthy rich, the boys clubs, the buddy's, the tippetts, the whole commercial crapery can go to hell.

*mods; edit as required I'm too emotionally drained

bulldogtragic
01-06-2014, 09:53 PM
1. I'm really struggling like alot of you on here. Conversations in my house have drifted in and out of whether a code switch to The soccer is even viable.

2. I'm sick of injustice, sick of inequity, sick of expansion clubs, sick of being shocking, sick of Callum wards, sick of draft picks being pissed away, sick of losing and sick to my guts that the only way we will win a flag is more kids, more draft picks more being aweful and then running into the twin brick walls of GWS and GCS. I'm even more sick that the fat slobs at AFL house will be smugly satisfied when one of their expansion horror twins win flag; with 6,000 pseudo members; whilst we bend over for our 65th year...

3. I love our club. Been a member for 35 years. The AFL, the eddies, the Ireland's, the cheaters, the filthy rich, the boys clubs, the buddy's, the tippetts, the whole commercial crapery can go to hell.

Touché

whythelongface
01-06-2014, 09:56 PM
1. Bonti will be a class act.

2. MaCrae already is a class act. The more I watch him the more I like the way he is developing. He will be a gun.

3. That is the Wallis that I like to see. Was at the bottom of packs, tackling hard, dishing out handballs and also found some space a couple of times. Thought he had the better of Fyfe.

4. I hate Freo more and more each time I see them play.

Sorry had to throw in no. 4.

EasternWest
01-06-2014, 10:29 PM
3. The more I see of Bontempelli, the more I like him. Has seriously good hands, a nice kick. When he gets stronger and more match fit, I think he'll be a great player and any perceived lack of pace will be forgotten.

2. Crameri is a victim of unrealistic expectations. Seriously, he's a gut running lead up forward. He's not going to take a mark when the ball is pumped onto his head, especially not on a guy like McPharlin. I was embarrassed to hear him Bronx cheered by our supporters. - he works bloody hard.

3. Cooney is just phoning it in. It's time to make the call.

LostDoggy
02-06-2014, 12:09 AM
1. There are some very unhappy supporters within our club, particularly on this site.

2. We go/watch every week because that's who we are. We love it and the club no matter how many times she kicks us, it's these times that makes the good times worth it!

3. I'm convinced Adam Cooney needs 45 touches and 5 goals every week or he is on thin ice.

Twodogs
02-06-2014, 01:14 AM

I don't think we need to edit any of it.

chef
02-06-2014, 07:14 AM
1. There are some very unhappy supporters within our club, particularly on this site.

2. We go/watch every week because that's who we are. We love it and the club no matter how many times she kicks us, it's these times that makes the good times worth it!

3. I'm convinced Adam Cooney needs 45 touches and 5 goals every week or he is on thin ice.

Agree on all this..

LostDoggy
02-06-2014, 09:07 AM
1. Ross Lyon is the Antichrist.

That's all.

Go_Dogs
02-06-2014, 09:17 AM
1. Bonts is adjusting quickly and got better as the game wore on, which is great.

2. Wallis demonstrated why he will be a long term player for us.

3. As difficult as it is at the moment, at least we don't go for Richmond.

Mofra
02-06-2014, 09:49 AM
1. I really did not hold out the same hope others did for Bonti... until the 4th quarter. A contest on the HF line where I thought "this will hurt the kid" and he somehow rode the bump, spun 360, wheeled around and kicked into the F50. Instant convert.

2. 67 inside 50s, the most Freo conceded for year, tells me if we had a decent forward structure we will win more games than we lose. We really need to trade this year.

3. Players look to distribute to Murphy at every opportunity. We really need a rebounder to come good (Darley/Fuller/Goodes aren't close tot he same class level).

azabob
02-06-2014, 09:58 AM
1. I really did not hold out the same hope others did for Bonti... until the 4th quarter. A contest on the HF line where I thought "this will hurt the kid" and he somehow rode the bump, spun 360, wheeled around and kicked into the F50. Instant convert.

2. 67 inside 50s, the most Freo conceded for year, tells me if we had a decent forward structure we will win more games than we lose. We really need to trade this year.

3. Players look to distribute to Murphy at every opportunity. We really need a rebounder to come good (Darley/Fuller/Goodes aren't close tot he same class level).

Great observations Mofra. I also share / shared your veiws on Bonti. That was like, did I really just see that.

The worst thing about point 3, is will Murphy go on next year? As the season progresses I'm not so sure he will.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-06-2014, 10:10 AM

Would a key forward really have helped yesterday? I agree the issue is more to do with our structures rather than personnel. Although we clearly lack a key forward, i dont think they could have done too much yesterday when the ball was just being bombed high and long all arvo with Freo having numbers back. We have a massive problem with structures and game plan going forward and all too often we dont crumb the packs - then the opposition rebound straight for a goal. Every. Week.

always right
02-06-2014, 10:40 AM
1. Going by this board many of our supporters are understandably at the end of their tether. God knows what is going on over at Big Footy. Huge challenge for the club to keep the fires burning.

2. Dominating all the stats is meaningless if you can't usethe ball intelligently. When Bob Murphy starts turning the ball over you know we are at a low ebb.

3. I love Adam Cooney but his disposals are having less and less influence on games than ever. Remember when opposition coaches used to send their best tagger to Cooney? Now they don't even bother. Not potting him.....just disillusioned as to how far his impact on games has fallen.

SlimPickens
02-06-2014, 12:09 PM
1. Watching Bonts, Macrae, Hrovat, Libba, Wallis, Stevens and Dahlhaus play helps me stay in the light during a pretty dark patch of the season.

2. Our intent and effort cannot be questioned. We simply were out played by a better side. Everyone struggles to score against freo (it's what they do), we gave ourselves some opportunities just were unable to convert.

3. Liam Jones is so important to our forward structure, very much looking forward to having him and Grant back in the side in the coming weeks.

Bulldog4life
02-06-2014, 01:00 PM

Well said Rooner. I thoroughly agree with everything you said. Couldn't have said it better myself.

EasternWest
02-06-2014, 05:37 PM

I'm not sure how you can say this. Nobody is the golden goose. Adam Cooney has been a very good player - he may have been one of our best were it not for injury affecting his career.

But it has. He doesn't burst away with the ball anymore. His disposal is atrocious and he doesn't chase like he once did. He's never been able to kick on his left foot, but he got away with it because of his speed and strength.

Not any more. That's all. If you're satisfied with what he's giving us, then I think you're watching the game through rose coloured glasses. He's currently giving us nothing IMO.

Cyberdoggie
02-06-2014, 06:17 PM
There were moments today where I was thinking to myself that the 3 hours I dedicate to watching the Bulldogs are some of the most unsatisfying of my week.

Moments, I'm guessing your a glass half full kind of guy.

After the Essendon game I was shattered. Not so much the result but the at the state of the game we and many of our opposition play. I felt like these coaches have killed the game I love.

I backed up for the Melbourne game and it was just as bad. Sure it was slippery but the numbers around the ball meant it was just a stoppage fest, completely boring for a spectator in the crowd.

Against my better judgement I gave it another shot yesterday with the family and it was another snorefest.
Freo played exactly how I thought they would. Everyone knows they zone defend, create pressure and force mistakes, then they rebound quickly to give Ballantyne and other forwards a 1-1 or 2-2 chance which they usually take.

I'd like to know the exact amount but I would imagine 90% of their goals came in this fashion, yet we weren't prepared for it every time.

I'm trying to work out how would could look so much better at the end of last year compared to rubbish this year and I've figured it out very simply. When Macca started we played pretty much how we are playing now. Kicking it along the boundary line to try and generate a stoppage in our forward 50 and limit the mistakes through the middle of the ground because we get beaten on the boundary line (not saying we are good at it). Then late last year we started to run the lines better and spaces opened up. We were playing quick transitional football. Now we are doing exactly what we did at the start of his reign.

What is the difference?.......Tom Campbell.

Before you jump on your high horse hear me out.

When we started to play Big Tom late last year he gave us a focal point. A marking forward. Having someone who even looks like marking a ball straightens the whole side up, we start to move the ball quicker, and take more risks through the middle. Then all of a sudden everyone looks fantastic.

Without Tom we take forever to move the ball and we literally have the worst marking team in the competition. We are not that great in the skills department either, so trying to pinpoint forwards inside flooded areas because we move the ball so slow is next to impossible.

yes we played Tom in 2 games this year and we got beat. He's not perfect but if he's used in the right way he improves the team all-round. We also need players that can run the ball out of defence with confidence and use the ball well but that's another story.

Remi Moses
02-06-2014, 06:38 PM
1. We need to play this slingshot footy . Urgently
2. 60 odd entries for 6 goals! Yuk!
3. Yes Freo play shit to watch footy, but guess what? They rock up! Hmm wonder why?

Ozza
02-06-2014, 06:44 PM
1. Watching Bonts, Macrae, Hrovat, Libba, Wallis, Stevens and Dahlhaus play helps me stay in the light during a pretty dark patch of the season.

2. Our intent and effort cannot be questioned. We simply were out played by a better side. Everyone struggles to score against freo (it's what they do), we gave ourselves some opportunities just were unable to convert.

3. Liam Jones is so important to our forward structure, very much looking forward to having him and Grant back in the side in the coming weeks.

Good '3' Slim. Think we are on a similar wave length.

soupman
02-06-2014, 06:51 PM
Adam Cooney has no hurt factor anymore. He can get the ball, he can use it ok, but so can half our other mids. If you look at how Stephen Hill broke the game open everytime he got the ball yesterday you can see what we want Cooney to do. Instead, like so many of his teammates he doesn't take risks and doesn't break the game open. This isn't so much a criticism as I understand the reasons, but an observation.

Scorlibo
02-06-2014, 06:54 PM
I'm not sure how you can say this. Nobody is the golden goose. Adam Cooney has been a very good player - he may have been one of our best were it not for injury affecting his career.

But it has. He doesn't burst away with the ball anymore. His disposal is atrocious and he doesn't chase like he once did. He's never been able to kick on his left foot, but he got away with it because of his speed and strength.

Not any more. That's all. If you're satisfied with what he's giving us, then I think you're watching the game through rose coloured glasses. He's currently giving us nothing IMO.

If you're making these calls on the basis of the game just played then I think you need to watch the tape over. Cooney and Libba were the only two who looked dangerous at stoppages forward of centre. I liked Cooney's game.

Ozza
02-06-2014, 06:56 PM

You make a good point. We need to do some work in this area and it might take us turning a forward or midfielder into a rebounding defender - because I don't see Darley or Fuller making it, and Goodes won't be around too much longer either.

bornadog
02-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Adam Cooney has no hurt factor anymore. He can get the ball, he can use it ok, but so can half our other mids. If you look at how Stephen Hill broke the game open everytime he got the ball yesterday you can see what we want Cooney to do. Instead, like so many of his teammates he doesn't take risks and doesn't break the game open. This isn't so much a criticism as I understand the reasons, but an observation.

I don't understand where Cooney plays? I don't recall him at centre bounces?

soupman
02-06-2014, 07:14 PM
I don't understand where Cooney plays? I don't recall him at centre bounces?

I think he starts off the wing or up forward generally. He still gets the ball but I only really recall him running sideways when he does get it and kicking it wider.

Scorlibo
02-06-2014, 07:17 PM
I think he starts off the wing or up forward generally. He still gets the ball but I only really recall him running sideways when he does get it and kicking it wider.

The same as the rest of the team. The only player who consistently runs in a straight line towards goals and kicks in a straight line towards goals is Easton Wood. I truly think Coons is playing just fine, the problem isn't him - it's the younger players who are yet to take the next step.

bornadog
02-06-2014, 07:17 PM

He now has a habit of trying to do some stupid little cute handball which goes to no one and also just slams the ball on the boot. He needs to become more creative.

LostDoggy
02-06-2014, 07:22 PM

What is it that your expecting from him exactly? I wouldn't say he is giving us nothing. He still is dangerous and has his moments. He was never been a high possession getter and still gets his odd goal. But to call him a liability and not offering anything is a bit over the top.

I actually thought he had a game deserving of a rest from the usual people posting the usual 'get rid of him', 'time to make a call' posts that he gets every second week.

We wouldn't get much for him nor can say he isn't best 22 so look elsewhere for a scapegoat.

soupman
02-06-2014, 07:25 PM
The same as the rest of the team. The only player who consistently runs in a straight line towards goals and kicks in a straight line towards goals is Easton Wood. I truly think Coons is playing just fine, the problem isn't him - it's the younger players who are yet to take the next step.

It's just an observation. I don't think he is one of the poorer players, he does get his hands on the ball and use it as well as most in the side. It just stands out when guy's like Macrae, Higgins and Murphy were the only three really trying to take the game on that Cooney, as someone more capable than most previously, just doesn't have a hurt factor anymore.

Scorlibo
02-06-2014, 07:36 PM
It's just an observation. I don't think he is one of the poorer players, he does get his hands on the ball and use it as well as most in the side. It just stands out when guy's like Macrae, Higgins and Murphy were the only three really trying to take the game on that Cooney, as someone more capable than most previously, just doesn't have a hurt factor anymore.

Fair enough.

Interesting that you say Macrae was taking the game on, I thought he was again average despite getting a lot of the ball. He needs to be more confident with ball in hand for mine. Those evasive skills have gone missing and they alone are what takes him from being just a good ball winner to a game breaker.

boydogs
02-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Those evasive skills have gone missing

He was sold nice candy right on the 50 yesterday

Scorlibo
02-06-2014, 08:30 PM
He was sold nice candy right on the 50 yesterday

Indeed. I sit very close to where he sold said candy. I love seeing that from him, unfortunately it's the only instance all game I can recall being wowed by Jack.

ReLoad
02-06-2014, 08:36 PM
The problem is going to be as the season goes on, players like Macrae are going to feel the effects of being so young and not having the core base. Watch out for either soft tissue injuries or a distinct drop off in pace/acceleration.

always right
02-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Indeed. I sit very close to where he sold said candy. I love seeing that from him, unfortunately it's the only instance all game I can recall being wowed by Jack.

I thought he stood out as someone who generally made good decisions. His handballing in particular was constructive and always to his teammate's advantage. Not an amazing game from Macrae but another accomplished performance.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-06-2014, 10:19 PM
What is it that your expecting from him exactly? I wouldn't say he is giving us nothing. He still is dangerous and has his moments. He was never been a high possession getter and still gets his odd goal. But to call him a liability and not offering anything is a bit over the top.

I actually thought he had a game deserving of a rest from the usual people posting the usual 'get rid of him', 'time to make a call' posts that he gets every second week.

We wouldn't get much for him nor can say he isn't best 22 so look elsewhere for a scapegoat.

Cooney was a high possession getter at his best, and even this season, he 'gets' enough of it to have a serious impact - but he doesn't.

He's not the problem, not our worst, not worth trading but he has very little hurt factor these days.

LostDoggy
02-06-2014, 11:11 PM
Cooney was a high possession getter at his best, and even this season, he 'gets' enough of it to have a serious impact - but he doesn't.

He's not the problem, not our worst, not worth trading but he has very little hurt factor these days.

Yea I see your points, hopefully his hurt factor improves when we have a target or two. Having Jones, Grant and Crammers in the same forward line will take away any excuses. I think we will improve dramatically over the next few weeks.

LostDoggy
03-06-2014, 08:21 AM

I think we're lucky he's playing at all.

Maddog37
03-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Coons is a cream on top kind of player IMHO. The better we get as a team the better he will look. The only time I get negative towards him is when he will not chase.

The highlight for me was Bonti doing that blind turn out of trouble and late in the game Macrae got the ball in the middle and rather than dodge his opponents he ran straight through two would be tacklers. He will be a real weapon as he is a big boy and is quite combative.

EasternWest
03-06-2014, 01:51 PM

I've never scapegoated anyone, and I find it offensive that you're saying that. If he's above criticism in your eyes then that's fine, but don't think because I am willing to criticise him do I hold him solely responsible for our position or results.

What do I want from him? I want him to be a leader on the field. If he's not having a great day with the ball, then I want to see him look remotely interested without it. Young players respond when they know their leaders are willing to do the hard stuff too.

It's most disappointing for me because I think Cooney did used to work really hard. I was a big fan of his intent to tackle and harry, but I just don't see it from him.

I don't think I suggested trading him - I agree he he has little value. Also, I don't debate his place as a "best 22" player. Of course he is. What he can do for us when he's on song is far outside what our reserves players can manage. But if he's not going to provide those things for us, why persist with him? Why not see what Honeychurch or Prudden can provide (insert equally appropriate name here if those guys are injured). He's not making a difference on field to our results, and he's not leading either.

It might be as Scorlibo suggests and I need to watch the game again, paying more attention to Cooney. I'll be willing to do that if it comes on, because frankly, at this stage I am deeply unsatisfied with what he's providing us, and I'd love to be proven wrong.

LostDoggy
03-06-2014, 02:31 PM

First of all I don't wear glasses and if Cooney is not up to it, then Ill agree no problems. Some of the Criticisms are warranted but most sound like a Cop Out, and honestly they are constant and from mostly the same posters.

I am actually Satisfied with his year so far....not Ecstatic...but Satisfied.

Disp ave. 22
marks. 4
tackles. 4
ins 50. 4
rbd 50. 4
gls. 7.5

The bolded parts are over the top and I find it amusing that you could end up being offended for being called on them.

How about we visit this old chestnut at the end of the year.

EasternWest
03-06-2014, 02:33 PM
First of all I don't wear glasses and if Cooney is not up to it, then Ill agree no problems. Some of the Criticisms are warranted but most sound like a Cop Out, and honestly they are constant and from mostly the same posters.

I am actually Satisfied with his year so far....not Ecstatic...but Satisfied.

Disp ave. 22
marks. 4
tackles. 4
ins 50. 4
rbd 50. 4
gls. 7.5

The bolded parts are over the top and I find it amusing that you could end up being offended for being called on them.

How about we visit this old chestnut at the end of the year.

I'm offended that you said I was scapegoating him.

He's not the source of our ills, but I expect more. The bolded parts our how I feel about what he's giving us. If you think they're over the top, that's your take. I think they're accurate and am happy to stand by them.

LostDoggy
03-06-2014, 02:55 PM
I'm offended that you said I was scapegoating him.

He's not the source of our ills, but I expect more. The bolded parts our how I feel about what he's giving us. If you think they're over the top, that's your take. I think they're accurate and am happy to stand by them.

Ok I apologize for offending you. We can agree to disagree.

stefoid
03-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Couple of times this year Coons has had disposal efficiency in the 40s or 50s.

On a lighter note, I see hrovat had two shots on goal and 3 score assists to his name. hmmm….

always right
03-06-2014, 03:19 PM
Couple of times this year Coons has had disposal efficiency in the 40s or 50s.

On a lighter note, I see hrovat had two shots on goal and 3 score assists to his name. hmmm….

Sorry...I'm not with you.

EasternWest
03-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Ok I apologize for offending you. We can agree to disagree.

Done. I'm glad we didn't have to shake our hissy fists at each other over the internet ;).

LostDoggy
03-06-2014, 04:26 PM
Done. I'm glad we didn't have to shake our hissy fists at each other over the internet ;).

:D happy days.

LostDoggy
03-06-2014, 05:44 PM

Good kids.

azabob
03-06-2014, 06:33 PM
:D happy days.

What's he got to do with it? ;)

Ghost Dog
03-06-2014, 10:17 PM
Thing I learned is, if a bloke is too fast just let him get a bit ahead and trip him with a gentle tap. Worst can happen is you will get a free against, which will give your backs time to set up. :mad:

whythelongface
03-06-2014, 11:10 PM
Thing I learned is, if a bloke is too fast just let him get a bit ahead and trip him with a gentle tap. Worst can happen is you will get a free against, which will give your backs time to set up. :mad:

That was a really low act. It is not in the spirit of the game. Has this been looked at by the MRP? If someone sticks a leg out and trips a player up the MRP looks into it, why is this any different?

LostDoggy
03-06-2014, 11:25 PM
That was a really low act. It is not in the spirit of the game. Has this been looked at by the MRP? If someone sticks a leg out and trips a player up the MRP looks into it, why is this any different?

It wasn't even 50

Happy Days
03-06-2014, 11:47 PM
What's he got to do with it? ;)

I am omnipotent

Scorlibo
03-06-2014, 11:48 PM

Exactly right, the inconsistency is beyond belief.

westbulldog
04-06-2014, 12:32 AM
1. The effort in this game was undeniable and there are good signs.
2. Match day coaching :- I wonder who caused 2 forwards to be against 5 docker defenders at one point in the first quarter. No wonder we can't kick a bag of goals.
3. Have the coaches made it mandatory for us to handball 6 times in the defensive 50m zone ? I think the stats said the dockers scored 10.1 from turnovers. e.g 19 minutes into the last quarter.

Ghost Dog
04-06-2014, 01:08 AM
Griff doesn't get enough support. Someone needed to help him against Crowley.

azabob
04-06-2014, 09:14 AM
Griff doesn't get enough support. Someone needed to help him against Crowley.

In what way?

wimberga
04-06-2014, 09:25 AM
In what way?

Not putting words in GD's mouth, but the only player I ever really see trying to help Griff out is Libba.

Like really, its like opposition taggers almost get to take our 2 key mids out of the game.

There's a midfield group there, they have to learn to help each other more.

azabob
04-06-2014, 09:33 AM
Not putting words in GD's mouth, but the only player I ever really see trying to help Griff out is Libba.

Like really, its like opposition taggers almost get to take our 2 key mids out of the game.

There's a midfield group there, they have to learn to help each other more.

I agree, but does Griffen also need to work harder himself? For the amount of footy we had, and for Griffen to only get a couple of touches in the second half, does that indicate he let Crowley win the mental battle?

wimberga
04-06-2014, 09:51 AM
I agree, but does Griffen also need to work harder himself? For the amount of footy we had, and for Griffen to only get a couple of touches in the second half, does that indicate he let Crowley win the mental battle?

It potentially does, but I dont think I am in a position to tell Griffen to work harder....IMO he tends to be a pretty hard worker.

Crowley is also great at what he does, so anything our mid's can do to make his life more difficult is extremely beneficial.

bornadog
04-06-2014, 09:54 AM
It potentially does, but I dont think I am in a position to tell Griffen to work harder....IMO he tends to be a pretty hard worker.

Crowley is also great at what he does, so anything our mid's can do to make his life more difficult is extremely beneficial.

I was disgusted how no one helped Griffen for the night. You look at how the young Gold Coast Boys got stuck into Picken.

Also, what was going through the coaches head, he should have made a move with Griffen, he was well and truly beaten. Stick him in the forward pocket, or get some one to counter tag Crowley, just do something, don't just accept it.

always right
04-06-2014, 10:01 AM
I was disgusted how no one helped Griffen for the night. You look at how the young Gold Coast Boys got stuck into Picken.

Also, what was going through the coaches head, he should have made a move with Griffen, he was well and truly beaten. Stick him in the forward pocket, or get some one to counter tag Crowley, just do something, don't just accept it.

I'm disgusted you didn't notice Libba and Minson repeatedly crashing into Crowley who responded by repeatedly complaining to the umpire.

I also noticed Griffen playing on the wing at times to change things up against Crowley. I'm not sure Griff did enough to shake the tag but to be fair Crowley is expect at blocking without holding. There were times Griff was able to get free and his team mates had the opportunity to use him but chose other options.

bornadog
04-06-2014, 10:05 AM
I'm disgusted you didn't notice Libba and Minson repeatedly crashing into Crowley who responded by repeatedly complaining to the umpire.

I also noticed Griffen playing on the wing at times to change things up against Crowley. I'm not sure Griff did enough to shake the tag but to be fair Crowley is expect at blocking without holding. There were times Griff was able to get free and his team mates had the opportunity to use him but chose other options.

Well he was not helped as much as he could have been. 2 disposals to half time for an A grader and ten for the match. That is where we virtually lost the game.

always right
04-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Well he was not helped as much as he could have been. 2 disposals to half time for an A grader and ten for the match. That is where we virtually lost the game.

So how much blame do you attribute to Griffen himself?

wimberga
04-06-2014, 10:17 AM

From my perspective, whether Griffen is playing well or not, I just want to see our guys protecting each other.

Ghost Dog
04-06-2014, 10:36 AM
What about when Crowley man-handled Griff over the boundary about 5 meters off the ball? At other clubs not just one but a few guys would have come and remonstrated.
Not since Barry Hall have we had a single player who opponents feared.
I've been managing to stay optimistic this season until last week. But unless there is a radical change, bigger clubs know they can bully us and absorb the consequences. Libba and Picken are the only street-fighters we have.

Look at what Brent Harvey did to Selwood. Excellent. Not enough force for a reportable offence. Within the rules. Chris Yarran, not enough force to report. Within the rules. Why can't our players do that?

Get creative boys. You can niggle, you can harass, you can find ways to wear them down.
Bob Murphy wrote an article on the Detroit Pistons the other day. Everyone read it? Well, is this all just hot-air?
Sorry, but I'm well and truly over being a noble loser.

bornadog
04-06-2014, 10:37 AM

100%

bornadog
04-06-2014, 10:37 AM
What about when Crowley manhandled Griff over the boundary about 4 meters off the ball? Who came and remonstrated?
Not since Barry Hall have we had a single player who opponents feared.

Where was the free kick as the ball was still in play.

azabob
04-06-2014, 10:47 AM
Sorry, but I'm well and truly over being a noble loser.

Lets bring back the Hawks "unsociable football" or the team of 1997-98-99 where Romero, Liberatore, Dimma, Southern etc harrassed and niggled.

Ghost Dog
04-06-2014, 10:49 AM
Where was the free kick as the ball was still in play.

So furious with that.

Mantis
04-06-2014, 11:27 AM
100%

Make up your mind... 5 minutes ago you were blaming his team-mates for not helping him out.

bornadog
04-06-2014, 11:33 AM
Make up your mind... 5 minutes ago you were blaming his team-mates for not helping him out.

You can't read

1. He is 100% responsible for his own form

2. He should get help from team mates to help protect him.

3. The Coach needs to act when his form shows he is being beaten.

Hope that clarifies it for you.

Happy Days
04-06-2014, 01:36 PM
Lets bring back the Hawks "unsociable football" or the team of 1997-98-99 where Romero, Liberatore, Dimma, Southern etc harrassed and niggled.

Oh man let's go all out and have a line in the sand game. I think we wait for the Saints game though because they're the physically softest team and have no real psychos (we can't this week because who in their right mind would want to fight Jono Brown)

We'd have to promote Redpath for that one.

azabob
04-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Oh man let's go all out and have a line in the sand game. I think we wait for the Saints game though because they're the physically softest team and have no real psychos (we can't this week because who in their right mind would want to fight Jono Brown)

We'd have to promote Redpath for that one.

Ah poor Redpath. OK Jack - your playing, but you have to front up to Jono Brown - OK?

Happy Days
04-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Ah poor Redpath. OK Jack - your playing, but you have to front up to Jono Brown - OK?

Redpath TKO round 5.