PDA

View Full Version : Alex Rance and other fans' views of the Dogs

Dry Rot
28-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Re the draft, seems many other fans still believe that we are short of tall defenders, despite Harris, Williams, McDougall, Wight and Everitt, and even Hargrave and Morris. You often see phantom drafts with us taking Alex Rance.

Are other fans clueless about non-mega teams like ours? And journos?

And are we Dogs fans underestimating some aspects of other non-mega teams? eg many general fans thought the Roos would finish last in 2007.

LostDoggy
28-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Great question. I just mentioned his name in the poll thread.

A son of a former player, 194cm defender, had a good season in WA and a great U18 carnival. Alex Rance has done just about everything right so he must be in the mix for a top 10 selection.

Just a question though, I know this is not a hard and fast rule because the Pies selected Nathan Brown and we selected Everitt last year but defenders normally don't go as early as more natural forwards do they?

GVGjr
29-10-2007, 08:24 AM
I'm not quite sure what all the fuss is about Rance but he is a good player never the less.

I'm also not convinced we need another key defender but it would be good insurance.

Bulldog Revolution
29-10-2007, 09:11 AM
I'm not quite sure what all the fuss is about Rance but he is a good player never the less.

I'm also not convinced we need another key defender but it would be good insurance.

Given there are always so many talented players mooted for top 10 picks is it possible he would be there at 19?

GVGjr
29-10-2007, 09:14 AM
Given there are always so many talented players mooted for top 10 picks is it possible he would be there at 19?

I wouldn't think so. He might go early but more likely he will be selected in the 10 to 16 range.

Bulldog Revolution
29-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Am I right in thinking his dad Murray looked to be capable of anything (good skills, spring, runner etc) but was very inconsistent and really never perhaps put together too many strong seasons?

Was Murray really capable of holding down CHB or was he really more a third tall in the backline

GVGjr
29-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Am I right in thinking his dad Murray looked to be capable of anything (good skills, spring, runner etc) but was very inconsistent and really never perhaps put together too many strong seasons?

Was Murray really capable of holding down CHB or was he really more a third tall in the backline

I think you might be right. Murray was 191cm and not a pure CHB or CHF but a good versatile type that could be moved around. Alex is a nice mover as well but I'm not sure that he has the spring of his old man.

Twodogs
29-10-2007, 02:17 PM

More of a second tall than a third tall(If that makes sense). Tough as nails though.

Bulldogs_6
29-10-2007, 08:27 PM
I think you might be right. Murray was 191cm and not a pure CHB or CHF but a good versatile type that could be moved around. Alex is a nice mover as well but I'm not sure that he has the spring of his old man.

As you know im a huge fan of Rancey's and i know him and his dad quite well, he has twice the spring of his old man an awesome athlete, dont question that either :p

GVGjr
29-10-2007, 08:31 PM
As you know im a huge fan of Rancey's and i know him and his dad quite well, he has twice the spring of his old man an awesome athlete, dont question that either :p

Yes but his old man has to be 25 years older than Alex :)
Murray had a terrific spring and whilst I'm not questioning you, on the few times I have seen Alex play I haven't seen anything to say that he could match his father let alone have twice the spring.

LostDoggy
29-10-2007, 08:39 PM

Harris, Wight, Everitt, Williams, O'Shea, Doogs. I think we have tall defenders fairly covered.

The only reason i can think of to justify getting Rance would be Williams to move forward, and even that would be a gamble.

Bulldogs_6
29-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Yes but his old man has to be 25 years older than Alex :)
Murray had a terrific spring and whilst I'm not questioning you, on the few times I have seen Alex play I haven't seen anything to say that he could match his father let alone have twice the spring.

Few times you have seen him play? how many times have you seen him play? I'm not questioning you about Murray's ability its just Alex was always the good athlete won everything at his school. I hope we pick him up first round, or McEvoy, not Henderson.

GVGjr
29-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Few times you have seen him play? how many times have you seen him play? I'm not questioning you about Murray's ability its just Alex was always the good athlete won everything at his school. I hope we pick him up first round, or McEvoy, not Henderson.

Three times this year on during the carnival and a couple of more times on tapes.
I agree he is athletic and mobile but I can't buy that he has twice the spring. How did he go at draft camp?

Bulldogs_6
29-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Three times this year on during the carnival and a couple of more times on tapes.
I agree he is athletic and mobile but I can't buy that he has twice the spring. How did he go at draft camp?

Talked to him not long ago, wasn't too happy with his results hit about 13.5-14 on the beep test but at home he can do 14.6-14.7. I'll find out a couple more results from him next time i speak to him i'll let you know.

and yeah twice the spring is an exaggeration my bad.

GVGjr
29-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Talked to him not long ago, wasn't too happy with his results hit about 13.5-14 on the beep test but at home he can do 14.6-14.7. I'll find out a couple more results from him next time i speak to him i'll let you know.

and yeah twice the spring is an exaggeration my bad.

He didn't rate in the top 10 for vertical leaps either. In fact the results in that particular measure were well down on previous seasons as well. I honestly think you have built him up a big more than you should have. The main thing is that he can play and that will ensure that he gets drafted. I'll have a look around for some of the results.

GVGjr
29-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Some of the draft camp results

Agility
1. Aaron Joseph 7.91 sec
2. Lachlan Hill 8.05 sec
3. Clayton Hinkley 8.07 sec
4. Tom Collier 8.22 sec
5. Jackson Hall 8.26 sec
6. Andy Otten 8.29 sec
7. Scott Selwood 8.32 sec
8. Brendan Whitecross 8.36 sec
9. Callan Ward 8.38 sec
10. Steven Gaertner 8.39 sec

Repeat 30 Metre Sprints
1. Chris Kangars 23.59 secs
2. Patrick Dangerfield 23.96 sec
3. Cyril Rioli 24.01 sec
4. Lachlan Hall 24.08 sec
5. Haelen Kay 24.17 sec
6. David Gourdis 24.22 sec
7. Levi Greenwood 24.22 sec
8. Brendan Whitecross 24.25 sec
9. Chris Mayne 24.37 sec
10. Joel Smouha 24.48 sec

Vertical Jump
1. David Gourdis 81cm
2. Lachlan Hill 74cm
3. Patrick Dangerfield 73cm
4. James Mulligan 72cm
5. Levi Greenwood 71cm
6. Matthew Lobbe 70cm
Steven Gaertner 70cm
Simon Starling 70cm
9. Robbie Tarrant 68cm
James Polkinghorne 68cm
Mitchell Farmer 68cm

20-Metre Sprint
1. David Gourdis 2.83 sec
2. Steven Gaertner 2.88 sec
Clayton Hinkley 2.88 sec
4. Jarrad Grant 2.89 sec
5. Brendan Whitecross 2.91 sec
Aaron Joseph 2.91 sec
7. Tayte Pears 2.92 sec
Patrick Dangerfield 2.92 sec
9. Jarrhan Jacky 2.93 sec
10. David Zaharakis 2.94 sec

Shuttle Run (Beep test)
1. Cale Morton 15.2
2. Joel Smouha 15.1
3. Brendan Whitecross 14.10
4. Clayton Hinkley 14.9
5. Rhys Palmer 14.8
Nick Murphy 14.8
7. Scott Selwood 14.7
8. Chris Kangars 14.5
9. Patrick McGinnity 14.4
10. Matthew Lobbe 14.3
Scott Simpson 14.3

3km Time Trial
1. Joel Smouha 10min 23sec
2. Rhys Palmer 10.25
3. Cale Morton 10.32
4. Hugh Sandilands 10.42
5. Nick Murphy 10.48
6. Scott Selwood 10.49
Patrick McGinnity 10.49
Matthew Lobbe 10.49
9. Matthew Kreuzer 10.51
10.Tony Armstrong 10.54
Chris Kangars 10.54

Bulldogs_6
29-10-2007, 09:09 PM
As i said he wasn't happy not to feature and with his results in general, he knows what hes capable of. Sorry if ive built him up a lot, but he can play good football and will be a gun. Don't think anyone has ever seen him as a winger but he can feature there.

GVGjr
29-10-2007, 09:35 PM
As i said he wasn't happy not to feature and with his results in general, he knows what hes capable of. Sorry if ive built him up a lot, but he can play good football and will be a gun. Don't think anyone has ever seen him as a winger but he can feature there.

Agreed. He is a good footballer and should go well at the draft.

LostDoggy
30-10-2007, 12:43 AM
It would seem that players selected to play defence often end up in the forward line though - I think Harris would make a great full forward - but we can't afford to loose him in the backline.

GVGjr
30-10-2007, 12:45 AM
It would seem that players selected to play defence often end up in the forward line though - I think Harris would make a great full forward - but we can't afford to loose him in the backline.

Rance has been played as a forward on occasions as well. Agreed that moving Harris on a permanent basis is not an option.

Twodogs
30-10-2007, 12:59 PM

Cant we? Arent we better placed to cover a full back than we are stocked for big, mobile, powerful, long kicking, intelligent users of the ball in the forward line?

I'm not sure that Harris is entirely comfortable in the backline either. I reckon we've got plenty of tall defenders and could afford to experiment with Harris as a power forward.

Mantis
30-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Cant we? Arent we better placed to cover a full back than we are stocked for big, mobile, powerful, long kicking, intelligent users of the ball in the forward line?

I'm not sure that Harris is entirely comfortable in the backline either. I reckon we've got plenty of tall defenders and could afford to experiment with Harris as a power forward.

Yes, Yes, Yes...

I have said on BF over the past week (does anyone still read BF???) that I would like to trial Harris as a FF early next year with Williams and McDougall playing as key defenders with help from Wight, Everitt, etc..

Even if we draft a potential power forward in the draft there bodies will not allow them to play this role next year.

The Underdog
30-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Yes, Yes, Yes...

I have said on BF over the past week (does anyone still read BF???) that I would like to trial Harris as a FF early next year with Williams and McDougall playing as key defenders with help from Wight, Everitt, etc..

Even if we draft a potential power forward in the draft there bodies will not allow them to play this role next year.

I've never been overly confident of Harris' ability to play FF, but one thing he will do is give you a contest and he can take a contested mark. I'm all for trying him there in the pre-season. I think it's a positive to have Harris, McD and Williams in the side as it gives us some flexibility we haven't had for most of the last few years, ie. if a tall back is getting beat we can switch players around and I don't mean putting Morris or Hargrave on a player that's clearly to big for them. Like I said I'm not super confident in it working but we're better placed now to try it than we have been in previous years.

Twodogs
30-10-2007, 01:22 PM
I've never been overly confident of Harris' ability to play FF, but one thing he will do is give you a contest and he can take a contested mark. I'm all for trying him there in the pre-season. I think it's a positive to have Harris, McD and Williams in the side as it gives us some flexibility we haven't had for most of the last few years, ie. if a tall back is getting beat we can switch players around and I don't mean putting Morris or Hargrave on a player that's clearly to big for them. Like I said I'm not super confident in it working but we're better placed now to try it than we have been in previous years.

If big Breizer could get half the contested ball in the forward line that he gets in the backline we'd be a much better team. Besides when Harris demanded the ball I reckon even Johnno would kick it to him.

The Underdog
30-10-2007, 01:25 PM
If big Breizer could get half the contested ball in the forward line that he gets in the backline we'd be a much better team. Besides when Harris demanded the ball I reckon even Johnno would kick it to him.

I'm more worried about what he does when he gets it.
I saw him have a couple of shots at goal this year and he didn't fill me with confidence

Twodogs
30-10-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm more worried about what he does when he gets it.
I saw him have a couple of shots at goal this year and he didn't fill me with confidence

BBB is a confidence player. Once they started going through for him he'd kick plenty. At least we can all agree he'd get more shots on goal than most others on our list.

Go_Dogs
30-10-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm also for experimenting with Harris up forwards. Between McDougall, Williams, Everitt and Wight we have quite a lot of backline options.

I'm uncertain about playing Wight, Williams or Everitt forward at this stage and McDougall seems much more suited to a defensive role in my opinion.

I guess Eade suggesting Minson to be trialled as a forward is also going to be interesting. He could yet be the surprise packet we've been waiting for.

LostDoggy
30-10-2007, 10:30 PM
No Rance for me, it's Henderson or Mc evoy at pick 5 and then take maybe a Scott Simpson or Rob Tarrant at 35