PDA

View Full Version : Our top three Indigenous Players

bornadog
28-05-2014, 02:36 PM
The Doggies have had 18 indigenous players represent the club.

• Les Bamblett
• Nathan Djerrkura
• Cameron Faulkner
• Brett Goodes
• Jarrod Harbrow
• Josh Hill (footballer)
• Liam Jones
• Steven Koops
• Phil Krakouer
• Michael McLean (footballer)
• Zephaniah Skinner
• Brennan Stack
• Koby Stevens
• Alan Thorpe (footballer)
• Mark West (footballer)
• Nicholas Winmar
• Malcolm Lynch
• Charlie Stewart

Who are your top three?

Mine are:

1. Magic McClean - wonderful player, silky smooth skills
2. Les Bamblett - this is off the back of one season, ie 1985 when he kicked 50 goals playing along side Beaza who kicked over 100.
3. Jarrod Harbrow - Lost to expansion team, just like Magic was.

Mark West could have been anything but injuries ruined his career.

bulldogtragic
28-05-2014, 05:30 PM
1. Magic - I'm not sure the reasons for his departure, but it always made my uneasy watching him tear opponents a new one up north and they'd mention his old club. I wish players that leave us the best, but not that much best :)

2. Nicky - It might have been a handful of games, but he was just a natural footballer.

3. Harbrow - I wish we still had him, soo much.

The list reads about what could've been for us. Lynch had something, but fell away after a good start. Faulkner was labelled 'the next Andrew McLeod' at draft time, which was compo for Penny jumping off. West i still blame for 1997, sorry, but i do. I always thought Djerrkura was going to be something, but not to be. Josh Hill might be turning a corner, but it would've never happened under us that he would be the 4th tall, or third small type.

Twodogs
28-05-2014, 05:41 PM
Good thread and thanks for listing the names.

Yep that would be my choice.

Maclean by a long stretch, watching him on one wing and the Hawk on the other was a privilege.

In 1985 I reckon Lally had the most spectacular 50 goal season ever. Nearly every one of them was a highlight in itself. He just didnt do things like normal players.

Jarryd Harbrow. More for what he has done/will do for Gold Coast than us even though he played some good footy with us. It's a pity that at the end of his career his time with us will just be a footnote really. He was a gun.

always right
28-05-2014, 06:02 PM
McLean (silk)
Daylight
Bamblett/Harbrow

Winmar was a star but not for us. The quality of Bamblett and Harbrow's time with us was streets ahead of Winmar.

bornadog
28-05-2014, 06:39 PM
McLean (silk)
Daylight
Bamblett/Harbrow

Winmar was a star but not for us. The quality of Bamblett and Harbrow's time with us was streets ahead of Winmar.

Who can forget Harbrow's Prelim finals

What about West in the 1997 prelim picking up 24 disposals and should have kicked the goal that put us further ahead.

1eyedog
28-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Your three would be the same for me BAD.

LostDoggy
28-05-2014, 07:13 PM

Axe Man
28-05-2014, 07:21 PM
I remember all of those players except for Charlie Stewart who I have never heard of. So I looked him up and he certainly had an interesting but brief career. 20 games in 1961 (his only season) including being the reserve player in the grand final. He was then released by the club in April 1962 after turning up late to pre-season training! Anybody old enough to have seen him play?
Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Stewart_(Australian_rules_footballer_born_1939))

Remi Moses
29-05-2014, 12:54 AM
1 Magic ( he was pure silk, but just got a few injuries with us)
2 Bamblett ( he lit up a struggling battling club)
3. Harbrow ( painful to type his name)

Magic got offered a reduced contract after the 1990 season ( had a few injury concerns)
Lovely bloke. Cut him up leaving the club.

craigsahibee
29-05-2014, 12:36 PM
Hard to disagree with Magic as the Number 1.

Lally Bamblett No.2. Cyril Rioli in size 38 shorts.

For pure output, Harbrow at 3 just ahead of West.

Cyberdoggie
29-05-2014, 01:19 PM
Mark West was my favourite.
Loved his bash and crash game.

Twodogs
29-05-2014, 05:47 PM

51. Magic wore 51.

Twodogs
29-05-2014, 05:51 PM
1 Magic ( he was pure silk, but just got a few injuries with us)
2 Bamblett ( he lit up a struggling battling club)
3. Harbrow ( painful to type his name)

Magic got offered a reduced contract after the 1990 season ( had a few injury concerns)
Lovely bloke. Cut him up leaving the club.

Didn't that bite us on the arse. Really quickly. He won the B&F his first two seasons up there.

Bulldog4life
29-05-2014, 08:07 PM
I remember all of those players except for Charlie Stewart who I have never heard of. So I looked him up and he certainly had an interesting but brief career. 20 games in 1961 (his only season) including being the reserve player in the grand final. He was then released by the club in April 1962 after turning up late to pre-season training! Anybody old enough to have seen him play?
Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Stewart_(Australian_rules_footballer_born_1939))

Yes Axe I vaguely remember Charlie playing. Was a very good player who played every game in the centre in the 1961 season but was replaced in the Grannie by Bob Spargo. I think this is what upset Charlie and from that point he lost interest.