PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs Players That Went To Your School

Eastdog
28-05-2014, 05:39 PM
For some fun

Interested to see what players from the Bulldogs past and present went to your school.

Myself: Cannot think of any players from the Bulldogs past or present that went to my school.

always right
28-05-2014, 06:06 PM
Do you count little league?

bulldogtragic
28-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Only had guys make TAC and VFL, didn't make it enough to the top. Most just wanted to play with their mates, but I was a year under Bev Malloy who played (a blinder btw) for Victoria in the VFL before going back to play-coach-cashup with his mates in the MPNFL.

However, I umpired inter-school footy and in local leagues in games with Fevola, Jeff White, Lonie boys, Jaydyn Attard (surprised he didn't make it with 2 clubs) etc.

Eastdog
28-05-2014, 06:15 PM
Do you count little league?

Yeah will throw that in as well. For school (it includes both Primary and Secondary)

1eyedog
28-05-2014, 06:28 PM
Luke Dahlhaus and Shaun Higgins but long after my time (I completed year 12 in 1990).

Also Barry Stoneham, Michael Mansfield, Jimmy Bartel, Damian Bourke, Cameron Ling, Jaspar Pittard, Allen Christensen, Nick Maxwell and Matty Scarlett.

I did all my schooling at St. Joeys in Geelong and played football for them as well. Joeys had a very strong footballing culture.

1eyedog
28-05-2014, 06:36 PM
Just looked it up. Kevin Higgins and Mark Neeld as well as the Kol brothers too. Also Tim Callan so that's 3 Doggies.

bornadog
28-05-2014, 06:53 PM
I went to a public school in West Sunshine and in my time (late 60's early 70's), we had one senior player Gary Steel who played 2 games in 1972.

We had a couple of teachers that were players but not for us.

Greystache
28-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Aaron James was expelled from my school years before I started. It was only one of many schools he was expelled from.

azabob
28-05-2014, 07:13 PM
Aaron James was expelled from my school years before I started. It was only one of many schools he was expelled from.

He practised getting expelled at schools and made it an art form at footy clubs...

lemmon
28-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Gia and Rohan Smith were there years before I started as was Podsiadly. Trent Mackenzie was a year ahead of me and I remember him kicking a footy across the oval and smacking blokes in the head

Twodogs
28-05-2014, 07:22 PM
I think Ted Whitten went to the same Primary school as I did.

bornadog
28-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Gia and Rohan Smith were there years before I started as was Podsiadly. Trent Mackenzie was a year ahead of me and I remember him kicking a footy across the oval and smacking blokes in the head

Kingsville?

lemmon
28-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Kingsville?

This was high school, St Pauls

LostDoggy
28-05-2014, 07:58 PM
I tell the story how I took speckies over Doug Hawkins at Braybrook High but I was 3 levels in front of him..... and it wasnt true

bulldogtragic
28-05-2014, 08:03 PM
I tell the story how I took speckies over Doug Hawkins at Braybrook High but I was 3 levels in front of him..... and it wasnt true

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story... Tell me more. :)

Max469
28-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Geoff Jennings
Peter Munro

boydogs
28-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Not school but I was in Little Athletics with Ryan Crowley, Luke Ball and Shannon Byrnes. Shannon was a terrific hurdler for his size and Luke Ball a great sprinter.

azabob
28-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Geoff Jennings
Peter Munro

So that explains the love affair with Geoff Jennings?

azabob
28-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Not school but I was in Little Athletics with Ryan Crowley, Luke Ball and Shannon Byrnes. Shannon was a terrific hurdler for his size and Luke Ball a great sprinter.

Really? Over what distance?

Ozza
28-05-2014, 09:38 PM
Crossy went to my school, a year below me but I'm pretty sure he only did year 11 & 12 there.

Dozens of others including the Maddens, Lloyd, Lucas, Jude Bolton and Dane Swan went to St.Bernards- but no other bulldogs from what I can recall.

Twodogs
28-05-2014, 10:02 PM

100 metres I assume but I bet you could set the distance and he'd still win.

Greystache
28-05-2014, 10:03 PM

He was the quickest player at his draft camp, including Judd. Groin injuries really killed his running ability, much like Judd after his West Coast years.

Max469
28-05-2014, 10:16 PM
So that explains the love affair with Geoff Jennings?

Hell yes. The world stopped when he went past. ;)

boydogs
28-05-2014, 11:18 PM

Held the U/7's 70m record at Collingwood Little Athletics Club

Doc26
28-05-2014, 11:55 PM
Honeychurch and Grenwood went to my secondary school. I was chatting with Mitch at the East Meets West day earlier in the year, and after sharing a couple of common teacher stories, he said that Alex drives him to training each week from Vermont given that he hasn't got his wheels as yet.

craigsahibee
29-05-2014, 02:25 PM
No Bulldogs players hailing from Mooroolbark unfortunately, however I did go to the same High School as Warren McKenzie (87 carlton Premiership), Craig Devonport and Shane Heal.

Went to Primary School with Rodney Minogue. Not surprised he and his brother Craig turned out the way they did.

Ghost Dog
29-05-2014, 03:04 PM
Not at my school, but Liam Picken used to go to Monivae College in Hamilton, where my late mother was a teacher.
She had a few choice words to say about his student days. ' Little Bugger' IIRC haha.

AndrewP6
29-05-2014, 11:00 PM
No Dogs but I went to high school with Glenn Archer and Chad Morrison.

LostDoggy
29-05-2014, 11:09 PM
A couple of the Footscray boys but no Western Bulldogs

Twodogs
30-05-2014, 12:01 AM
A couple of the Footscray boys but no Western Bulldogs

Which Footscray boys wse?

Rocket Science
30-05-2014, 12:13 AM
Shagga Corcoran did a year at my secondary school - Westbourne Grammar.

But that pales compared to Steve MacPherson and Jim Sewell visiting my primary school to prep us for a little league game against dirty stinkin Carlton at Princes Park. We got done but forming a race for the senior players after half time and a free four n twenty washed down with an Eggflip Big M seemed to ease the pain.

Eastdog
30-05-2014, 12:39 AM
Honeychurch and Grenwood went to my secondary school. I was chatting with Mitch at the East Meets West day earlier in the year, and after sharing a couple of common teacher stories, he said that Alex drives him to training each week from Vermont given that he hasn't got his wheels as yet.

Vermont Secondary I believe that is Doc26. My old house was quite close to that school. I went to Knox.

Twodogs
30-05-2014, 12:38 PM
Shagga Corcoran did a year at my secondary school - Westbourne Grammar.

But that pales compared to Steve MacPherson and Jim Sewell visiting my primary school to prep us for a little league game against dirty stinkin Carlton at Princes Park. We got done but forming a race for the senior players after half time and a free four n twenty washed down with an Eggflip Big M seemed to ease the pain.

That reminds me. Back in 1982 my high school was entered into the Herald Shield. First game we played some local western suburban school and we won quite comfortably. We were pretty confident about the next round playing a western suburban private school that we'd never heard of.

We ran out on the ground and I walked to my normal possie on the half back flank went to shake the hand of my opponent thinking he looked vaguely familiar then looked over to the middle of the ground and saw Steve Macpherson standing there rubbing his hands together. I asked my opponent why Steve was playing for this school and he told me that Steve was his brother and that Footscray had bought them over from Tassie and enrolled them at this school. They also had Mark Noble and a couple of other kids from all over Australia.

We lost by 25 goals that day. I vividly remember picking the ball up in the last quarter and trying to handball it only for my teammate to turn his back on me and run away!

craigsahibee
30-05-2014, 01:15 PM
That reminds me. Back in 1982 my high school was entered into the Herald Shield. First game we played some local western suburban school and we won quite comfortably. We were pretty confident about the next round playing a western suburban private school that we'd never heard of.

We ran out on the ground and I walked to my normal possie on the half back flank went to shake the hand of my opponent thinking he looked vaguely familiar then looked over to the middle of the ground and saw Steve Macpherson standing there rubbing his hands together. I asked my opponent why Steve was playing for this school and he told me that Steve was his brother and that Footscray had bought them over from Tassie and enrolled them at this school. They also had Mark Noble and a couple of other kids from all over Australia.

We lost by 25 goals that day. I vividly remember picking the ball up in the last quarter and trying to handball it only for my teammate to turn his back on me and run away!

That's hilarious. Reminds me of Year 7 when we made it through to the Eastern Zone Finals so our PE teacher organised a practice match against Wesley College at Mooroolbark High.

You could tell how the game was going to unfold when the Wesley kids got off their own school bus, looking resplendent in their purple and gold tracksuits while we were are sitting around wearing whatever footy jumper we wanted because the Year 8 and 9's were wearing our jumpers that day.

What unfolded over the next 2 hours was one of the most comprehensive beltings I have ever been involved in.

Twodogs
30-05-2014, 01:55 PM
That's hilarious. Reminds me of Year 7 when we made it through to the Eastern Zone Finals so our PE teacher organised a practice match against Wesley College at Mooroolbark High.

You could tell how the game was going to unfold when the Wesley kids got off their own school bus, looking resplendent in their purple and gold tracksuits while we were are sitting around wearing whatever footy jumper we wanted because the Year 8 and 9's were wearing our jumpers that day.

What unfolded over the next 2 hours was one of the most comprehensive beltings I have ever been involved in.

To make things even worse the kid who ran away rather than take possession of the ball was the captain. I think he was screaming too.

Daughter of the West
30-05-2014, 03:33 PM
I went to primary school with Dane Swan, and played in a tennis team with Brent Hartigan who was my mixed doubles partner (had a short lived stint with Richmond). And one of the girls from my year level at high school dated a current Collingwood player and then married a Bulldogs player.

LostDoggy
30-05-2014, 03:46 PM
Which Footscray boys wse?
Brent Prismall and a bloke called Jesse Fortune who I don't think has played yet. Oh and Will Sullivan of course.

bornadog
30-05-2014, 03:47 PM

Back in 1973 our school had a match against Werribee who were in our zone. When we went to their school, they really belted us on the field. They had a couple of VFA reserves players and they played dirty, so the belting was physical.

On the return leg, word got around they were coming to visit, so the students were prepared knowing what they had done to us last time. As soon as something happened on the field, it was on. There was an almighty brawl, with students (not players) coming from everywhere. Let's just say it didn't end pretty. :D

F'scary
31-05-2014, 11:00 PM
Con Gorozidis.

jeemak
31-05-2014, 11:07 PM
Nick Trask (Brisbane) and Adam Morgan.

Nick was a couple of years older, Adam a couple of years younger. I played BBall with Adam, he's actually a Doggies supporter too and was always a good guy.

Webby
31-05-2014, 11:18 PM

Yeah, that was Chisholm College in Braybrook. I believe they won the Herald Shield with the MacPherson brothers and future Test cricketer, Tony Dodemaide, also played in that side.

jeemak
31-05-2014, 11:31 PM
Yeah, that was Chisholm College in Braybrook. I believe they won the Herald Shield with the MacPherson brothers and future Test cricketer, Tony Dodemaide, also played in that side.

Did Doders already have his moustache?

Eastdog
31-05-2014, 11:35 PM
Nick Trask (Brisbane) and Adam Morgan.

Nick was a couple of years older, Adam a couple of years younger. I played BBall with Adam, he's actually a Doggies supporter too and was always a good guy.

That's cool to hear about Adam being a Dogs fan. I'm pretty sure Lin Jong went to Brentwood Secondary. Boydy was from out that way as well but not sure what school. I think he was from Dandy.

jeemak
31-05-2014, 11:59 PM
Brentwood was where I attended. Didn't know Jong went there.

Boyd was a Mazenod boy. Pat Steinfort and Heath Black also went to school there in the same age group I played against.

I played against Carl Steinfort after he left Collingwood, when he went back to Mazenod OB's. He was pretty good, just always seemed to know where to run and how to find it just that little bit sooner than others did. Patty was a good guy, unfortunately his body let him down. He could have forged a decent career otherwise.

Heath Black was an out and out gun as a junior. An amazing kick, and always just knew when and how to get the footy and something always happened when he did. For a guy that had as many off field issues as he did, he still almost managed to get to 200 games of senior footy.

ReLoad
01-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Ben Sexton was in my year level, we also and Nathan Chapman who went to a few clubs. I think the year above and below us had a few too.

Probably the biggest disappointment was Mark Robinson. If I knew then what I know now I would have belted the living tripe out of him.

Played on Shane Crawford one day in the herald sun shield (we hated assumption college) I lasted about 2 minutes before I got a footy to the face and can't remember much after that.

(The Selwoods all came from my high school - albeit a different generation)

Twodogs
01-06-2014, 05:16 PM

That's them and it was the year they began by feasting on us that they won it.

I played under 16s against Tony Dodemaide he was pretty quick even then.

soupman
01-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Brentwood was where I attended. Didn't know Jong went there.

Boyd was a Mazenod boy. Pat Steinfort and Heath Black also went to school there in the same age group I played against.

I played against Carl Steinfort after he left Collingwood, when he went back to Mazenod OB's. He was pretty good, just always seemed to know where to run and how to find it just that little bit sooner than others did. Patty was a good guy, unfortunately his body let him down. He could have forged a decent career otherwise.

Heath Black was an out and out gun as a junior. An amazing kick, and always just knew when and how to get the footy and something always happened when he did. For a guy that had as many off field issues as he did, he still almost managed to get to 200 games of senior footy.

I played at Mazenod for a while.

Patty was the senior coach for a short period a couple of years back and as someone involved in the "leading teams" group now works for Adelaide as a "Youth leadership coach" or something to that effect IIRC. Nice guy.

Eastdog
01-06-2014, 10:07 PM
Kieran McGuinness was from the Wantirna area. Didn't go to my school but went to one quite close to mine Wantirna College I think.

GVGjr
01-06-2014, 10:10 PM
I played footy and cricket with Peter Baxter. What a gun athlete he was. Milan Savic played a lot for the Bombers reserves side. Army cup games?

Twodogs
01-06-2014, 10:30 PM
Army Reserve Cup.

Eastdog
15-07-2014, 01:56 PM
Ben Sexton was in my year level, we also and Nathan Chapman who went to a few clubs. I think the year above and below us had a few too.

Probably the biggest disappointment was Mark Robinson. If I knew then what I know now I would have belted the living tripe out of him.

Played on Shane Crawford one day in the herald sun shield (we hated assumption college) I lasted about 2 minutes before I got a footy to the face and can't remember much after that.

(The Selwoods all came from my high school - albeit a different generation)

Looked it up. The Bendigo area I believe or somewhere near there.

ledge
15-07-2014, 03:55 PM
Doug Hawkins Robbie groenwagon, Brian Wilson,Darren brown,Zeno tzatzaris,Phil Okeefe,Butch Litchfield. All from primary and high schools .. Guess the schools !!

ledge
15-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Oh I forgot johnny cuzzupe too

Twodogs
15-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Doug Hawkins Robbie groenwagon, Brian Wilson,Darren brown,Zeno tzatzaris,Phil Okeefe,Butch Litchfield. All from primary and high schools .. Guess the schools !!

One of the flash ones? ;)

LostDoggy
15-07-2014, 05:24 PM

Tottenham State
Braybrook High

ledge
15-07-2014, 05:48 PM
Close totty north and braybrook high, also lived with Alistair Ford , Darren Grant, my in laws had Stephen Tiller and Jesse Welles live with them.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Close totty north and braybrook high, also lived with Alistair Ford , Darren Grant, my in laws had Stephen Tiller and Jesse Welles live with them.
True bulldog!!!

divvydan
15-07-2014, 11:45 PM
From my high school we have; Simon Garlick, Tom Liberatore, Josh Mahoney, Luke Penny, Stephen Powell and Mitch Wallis.

bornadog
16-07-2014, 02:40 AM
I went to a public school in West Sunshine and in my time (late 60's early 70's), we had one senior player Gary Steel who played 2 games in 1972.

Heard Gary on Coodabeen Champions programme a few weeks ago. Basically he said he couldn't be bothered doing the training. :eek:

Eastdog
16-07-2014, 05:15 PM
From my high school we have; Simon Garlick, Tom Liberatore, Josh Mahoney, Luke Penny, Stephen Powell and Mitch Wallis.

Simon was from Glen Waverley I think. I know that Tom and Mitch went to St Kevins.

divvydan
16-07-2014, 05:27 PM
Simon was from Glen Waverley I think. I know that Tom and Mitch went to St Kevins.

He was but is listed as having graduated from St Kevins in 1992. Lot of people from Glen Waverley way went there as it is right on the train line.

Eastdog
16-07-2014, 05:39 PM
He was but is listed as having graduated from St Kevins in 1992. Lot of people from Glen Waverley way went there as it is right on the train line.

Yes that's true. Not sure where Garlick, Penny and Mahoney went. I looked up that Penny was from the Oakleigh U18s and Mahoney from the Western Jets.

divvydan
16-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Yes that's true. Not sure where Garlick, Penny and Mahoney went. I looked up that Penny was from the Oakleigh U18s and Mahoney from the Western Jets.

Penny actually left the school part way through year-11 iirc after a disagreement with the school over school football vs academy/under-age football. Mahoney I think finished in 1995.

Eastdog
21-07-2014, 01:04 AM
Penny actually left the school part way through year-11 iirc after a disagreement with the school over school football vs academy/under-age football. Mahoney I think finished in 1995.

What school did you go to divvydan. I went to Knox but right in the first post of the thread said that I couldn't recall anyone who played with us who attended there.

divvydan
21-07-2014, 04:14 AM
What school did you go to divvydan. I went to Knox but right in the first post of the thread said that I couldn't recall anyone who played with us who attended there.

St.Kevin's.

HOSE B ROMERO
22-07-2014, 08:48 PM
Peter Foster. And Tim Pekin. Gerard Foley who played a few games with Fitzroy in the 80's. Jonathan Simpkin. Should have been a lot more but Fitzroy weren't that active in their zone.

HOSE B ROMERO
22-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Heard Gary on Coodabeen Champions programme a few weeks ago. Basically he said he couldn't be bothered doing the training. :eek:

That Coodabeens interview with Gary Steele was hilarious. I'd never heard of the guy. I think he played 6 games. He's now living in South Korea. But he was one of those guys that were just not into footy. He was part of the deal that got Peter Featherby to the dogs.

He apparently was very talented but when he got to his club in WA(I think he said David Parkin was his coach) just didn't like the training and told Parko it wasn't for him and set off around Australia.

Throughout the interview he laughed a lot and it was obvious he knew very little about what a good footballer Featherby became or any other footballers for that matter. Very nonchalant! The movie 'The Club' could have been based on him.

Twodogs
22-07-2014, 11:55 PM
Peter Foster. And Tim Pekin. Gerard Foley who played a few games with Fitzroy in the 80's. Jonathan Simpkin. Should have been a lot more but Fitzroy weren't that active in their zone.

Did you live in Colac?

azabob
26-07-2014, 05:42 PM

Didn't Penny also leave us due to a disagreement of some sort?

ledge
26-07-2014, 06:23 PM

Well if he did he didn't go onto much bigger things football wise , two years at st kilda wasn't it?

Eastdog
26-07-2014, 06:35 PM
Well if he did he didn't go onto much bigger things football wise , two years at st kilda wasn't it?

Yep that's right ledge.

Twodogs
26-07-2014, 09:02 PM

He had problems with another player on the list if you believe the rumours.

bulldogtragic
26-07-2014, 09:08 PM

So the story goes. But we got the 'next Andrew McLeod' so everyone's a winner.

azabob
26-07-2014, 09:17 PM

Damn. What on earth could Nathan say to Luke to make him want to leave?

divvydan
26-07-2014, 11:27 PM
Damn. What on earth could Nathan say to Luke to make him want to leave?

I could make a decent assumption given what I know about Luke but that would still only be a guess.

Eastdog
08-09-2014, 08:32 PM
Bump. For any newbies to Woof or for woofers that havent answered or for some who answered but have thought of other Bulldog players that they forget that went to your school.

Doggy
08-09-2014, 09:36 PM
I went to primary school with Anthony McConville.
I'm pretty sure he played a few games with Footscray reserves back in the 80's.
He went on to be a players agent / manager.
On his books at the moment are Paddy Ryder, Jake Carlisle, Brett Deledio, Jack Grimes, David Mundy, Andrew Mackie, Jed Adcock and Shane Mumford to name a few.

BulldogBelle
09-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Charlie Sutton went to my primary school while I was there - Seaholme. But that was in 1955 to visit his kids. Gary Dempsey went to Altona Primary School.

Eastdog
12-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Bump. With all the events unfolding down at the kennel this might be a refreshing change of topic.

azabob
12-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Not sure if this now counts but i went to the same primary school as Ryan Griffen and Brendan McCartney taught at a school i drove past once.

Ed does that count?

Eastdog
12-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Not sure if this now counts but i went to the same primary school as Ryan Griffen and Brendan McCartney taught at a school i drove past once.

Ed does that count?

Yeah no worries azabob. Did you really or are you taking the micky out of it?

azabob
12-10-2014, 09:26 PM
Yeah no worries azabob. Did you really or are you taking the micky out of it?

Yeah, sorry ED, taking the micky.

At least, as you said we can have a laugh after the last few days.

Eastdog
12-10-2014, 09:29 PM
Yeah, sorry ED, taking the micky.

At least, as you said we can have a laugh after the last few days.

Yep that's right. Need to get some happiness back on Woof from somewhere.

Throughandthrough
12-10-2014, 10:10 PM
I'm 95% sure (for real!) that I went to Primary School (in Mt Gambier) with Brendan McCartney's wife.

mighty_west
12-10-2014, 11:13 PM
Went to school with Darren Saunders (he was a bit older)
Played cricket with and against Nigel Kellett, Justin Charles, Roger Palmer (ressies player), Ronnie James

FrediKanoute
13-10-2014, 04:11 AM
Guy I went to Uni with went to Chanel College whilst BMac was a teacher.

Remi Moses
13-10-2014, 04:26 AM
Peter Wright goes to my old school
Could be an omen

Bulldog4life
13-10-2014, 01:27 PM
I went to the same school as Cal Ward........of course not at the same time.

The Doctor
13-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Tom Boyd went to the same school as my young fella

bornadog
13-10-2014, 02:06 PM

Isn't he mates with Honeychurch?

BornInDroopSt'54
13-10-2014, 04:11 PM

Luther College huh? We (Whitefriars College) used to and probably still do, play them. Whitefriars produced John Murphy (Mark's dad) Paul Vander Haar and Bradley Gotch. However the best one, Steve Knapp got away, recruited by Gough Whitlam as Australian table tennis champ at 17y0 to help establish diplomatic relations with China. He was a better footballer than tt player and better than all of the above or the other players I played with including Mark Browning (Swan's captain) Chris Smith (CHB for Fitzroy). None played for the dogs though but Steve was like Nathan Brown but never missed a goal.

Eastdog
01-12-2015, 08:39 PM
Bump any more woofers who went to school or play with past or present Bulldog players.

LostDoggy
01-12-2015, 10:44 PM
In my school and junior sporting teams, the only senior Bulldog I can remember playing with is Ron James. Michael Shepperbottom and Greg Hitch also played with Bulldogs reserves, whilst Ian Fairley and Mick Martin also played for North. Also had a few friends/teammates who played for Willy, particularly remember Tommy MacGowan, Vinny DiMartino and Troy Mitchell.

Twodogs
02-12-2015, 01:25 AM
I grew up with Rohan Lane. He played a fair bit of footy for Willy.

merantau
02-12-2015, 08:40 AM
My alma mater Tottenham Tech, produced Kevin Jackman, Gary Merrington, Robert McGhie, Robert Percy, Kevin McLeod, Brian Harvey, Tony Hill, Ian Wallace and my primary school, Our Lady's in Sunshine pumped out David Darcy.

KT31
02-12-2015, 09:00 AM
In my school and junior sporting teams, the only senior Bulldog I can remember playing with is Ron James. Michael Shepperbottom and Greg Hitch also played with Bulldogs reserves, whilst Ian Fairley and Mick Martin also played for North. Also had a few friends/teammates who played for Willy, particularly remember Tommy MacGowan, Vinny DiMartino and Troy Mitchell.

Spotty boy Peanuts ?

Twodogs
02-12-2015, 09:02 AM
My alma mater Tottenham Tech, produced Kevin Jackman, Gary Merrington, Robert McGhie, Robert Percy, Kevin McLeod, Brian Harvey, Tony Hill, Ian Wallace and my primary school, Our Lady's in Sunshine pumped out David Darcy.

We beat Totty Tech in the Herald Shield in 1982 by 10 goals. It's one of the few times I can remember winning a game at school.

merantau
02-12-2015, 09:11 AM

Back in the 60s Tottenham Tech had a wonderful sportsmaster, Leo Mackinnon. He developed a relationship with the Taranto brothers from Footscray Rugby Club. Tottenham boys took to rugby like ducks to water and entered a rugby comp dominated by the rich private schools. No prizes for guessing who won. The silvers spooners weren't quite prepared for Totty's 'take no prisoners' style.
During the same era the principal, Charlie Elliott, stood down our football team because of complaints from other schools. Bones McGhie is bitter about that to this day.

Daughter of the West
02-12-2015, 10:26 AM
My Nanna went to school with Harvey Stevens and grew up over the back fence from him - does that count? Going to an all girls high school kind of lessoned my chances of going to school with footballers!

LostDoggy
02-12-2015, 12:00 PM
Spotty boy Peanuts ?

Not quite. Grew up in Kingsville then (mainly) Newport, but went to primary school in Spotty and high school at Willy High. Played junior footy with Spotty and Newport Centrals.

Twodogs
02-12-2015, 05:13 PM
My Nanna went to school with Harvey Stevens and grew up over the back fence from him - does that count? Going to an all girls high school kind of lessoned my chances of going to school with footballers!

Didn't see Scott Camporeole there then?

Twodogs
02-12-2015, 05:16 PM
Not quite. Grew up in Kingsville then (mainly) Newport, but went to primary school in Spotty and high school at Willy High. Played junior footy with Spotty and Newport Centrals.

A couple of the kids I went to school with played with Spotty. Robert Quinn and Ramon Gunn.

Smads57
02-12-2015, 06:16 PM
Mick Egan came to our school in year 4 and was still there until year 6 if I remember rightly. He was good at sport at that age. Our paths crossed some years later when we both attended the same teachers college and by then he was starting his career at Footscray.

Twodogs
02-12-2015, 06:48 PM
Mick Egan came to our school in year 4 and was still there until year 6 if I remember rightly. He was good at sport at that age. Our paths crossed some years later when we both attended the same teachers college and by then he was starting his career at Footscray.

Megan played at the same cricket club as I did, he was a few years older though.

BornInDroopSt'54
04-12-2015, 11:03 PM
Any one know where Terry Wheeler lives? I'm down to play golf with a Terry Wheeler at Ranfurlie on Sunday, a couple of groups before a Steve McPherson.
By the way I went to St Monicas Primary School in Footscray with Peter Spurling who subsequently played for Footscray U19s, was drafted and went to Vietnam, came back and was killed in a road accident driving from Puckapunyal. His grandfather Bill Spurling and older brother Bob Spurling (Spurling Formal Wear Hire) both played for Footscray. The Western Oval is on Spurling Reserve.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-12-2015, 03:19 PM
Any one know where Terry Wheeler lives? I'm down to play golf with a Terry Wheeler at Ranfurlie on Sunday, a couple of groups before a Steve McPherson.
By the way I went to St Monicas Primary School in Footscray with Peter Spurling who subsequently played for Footscray U19s, was drafted and went to Vietnam, came back and was killed in a road accident driving from Puckapunyal. His grandfather Bill Spurling and older brother Bob Spurling (Spurling Formal Wear Hire) both played for Footscray. The Western Oval is on Spurling Reserve.

Nope was a very good golfer (off 7) from Woodlands and a ripping bloke but from the outset I told him I was disappointed he was not the ex Bulldog coach. The Stevie Mac was also an impostor to my expectations.

Eastdog
07-12-2015, 03:21 PM
Terry Wheeler was originally from Coldstream BIDS54. Not sure where he is nowadays.

Greystache
07-12-2015, 03:31 PM
He lives in Williamstown. I see him on the train to the city in the mornings. He looks incredible for a man his age.

BulldogBelle
07-12-2015, 11:03 PM
I can second that. Wheels lives in Willi and I see him regularly at one of the local watering holes watching bulldogs away games throughout the season.

LostDoggy
09-01-2016, 11:46 PM
I went to the same Primary School as Brad Johnson (not at the same time).

We had the same grade four teacher, eleven years apart.

bornadog
10-01-2016, 12:39 AM

Which Primary School?

Remi Moses
10-01-2016, 02:24 AM

What school is that CBM ? His kids went to St Mary's in Willi .
I think he's had a sea change a few years ago .

bornadog
10-01-2016, 11:05 AM
What school is that CBM ? His kids went to St Mary's in Willi .
I think he's had a sea change a few years ago .

Isn't he now in Torquay? His place in Willi was next door to Rowan Smith's with a gate joining the two properties.

LostDoggy
11-01-2016, 12:20 AM
Which Primary School?
St. Peter's in Hoppers Crossing.

Twodogs
05-09-2017, 02:37 PM
ABC program that isn't normally about footy talks to Bones primarily about the photo of him having a smoke out on the MCG after the 1974 GF. But he talks a fair bit about growing up and Totty tech and how he got started in footy. You'd enjoy it I reckon ledge.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/shootingthepast/2017-09-29/8838460

ledge
05-09-2017, 05:32 PM
I went to braybrook high but went to the primary school next to Totty tech and played cricket on the totty tech ground for 20 years .. Very fond memories of a school now made into a housing estate.

ledge
05-09-2017, 05:36 PM
ABC program that isn't normally about footy talks to Bones primarily about the photo of him having a smoke out on the MCG after the 1974 GF. But he talks a fair bit about growing up and Totty tech and how he got started in footy. You'd enjoy it I reckon ledge.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/shootingthepast/2017-09-29/8838460

How Have you got to see it when it's not on until 29/9 ?

Twodogs
05-09-2017, 10:10 PM
How Have you got to see it when it's not on until 29/9 ?

They were talking about that particular one on 774 today so maybe they made it available early?

Twodogs
05-09-2017, 10:12 PM
I went to braybrook high but went to the primary school next to Totty tech and played cricket on the totty tech ground for 20 years .. Very fond memories of a school now made into a housing estate.

I think you went to school with a mate of mine called Noraine.

ledge
05-09-2017, 10:24 PM
I think you went to school with a mate of mine called Noraine.

Tottenham nth til 75 and BBH 76-79, I was in the same class as butch Litchfield. Darren brown , Zeno tzatzaris and TCD were a year under me. Don't recall a Noraine, I'm 54 later this year. Also was a year under Bernie Menadue who's son Connor is at Richmond.

Twodogs
05-09-2017, 11:21 PM
Tottenham nth til 75 and BBH 76-79, I was in the same class as butch Litchfield. Darren brown , Zeno tzatzaris and TCD were a year under me. Don't recall a Noraine, I'm 54 later this year. Also was a year under Bernie Menadue who's son Connor is at Richmond.

I'm 53, Nor 4 or 5 years younger. I know TCD and her have known each other for years because I've known both of them for 30 years and they knew each other well before I knew either of them.

You may have known her older twin brothers Wayne and (I think) Detroy. Wayne was a gun footballer. There was an older brother as well.

ledge
05-09-2017, 11:38 PM
I'm 53, Nor 4 or 5 years younger. I know TCD and her have known each other for years because I've known both of them for 30 years and they knew each other well before I knew either of them.

You may have known her older twin brothers Wayne and (I think) Detroy. Wayne was a gun footballer. There was an older brother as well.

How do I not know you ?
TCD and I were extremely close through primary and high school. what's the last name of Noraine ?

Twodogs
06-09-2017, 12:24 AM
How do I not know you ?
TCD and I were extremely close through primary and high school. what's the last name of Noraine ?

Starts with an S. Lived in Lily st.

Her mum was Mrs Miller.

ledge
06-09-2017, 12:52 AM
Starts with an S. Lived in Lily st.

Her mum was Mrs Miller.

Sorry doesn't click in my head at all.
I lived off melon street across the road from Zeno in alwyn crt . I wasn't exactly hanging out around Barry's area. Only to play pool at his place and the odd sleepover.

Twodogs
06-09-2017, 02:55 AM
Sorry doesn't click in my head at all.
I lived off melon street across the road from Zeno in alwyn crt . I wasn't exactly hanging out around Barry's area. Only to play pool at his place and the odd sleepover.

Nor's daughter is Aliesha Newman the Melbourne player.

Eastdog
06-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Hayden Crozier went to Rowville Secondary College fairly close to my school.
Not sure what school Bont went to?

AndrewP6
06-08-2018, 09:09 PM
Hayden Crozier went to Rowville Secondary College fairly close to my school.
Not sure what school Bont went to?

Marcellin College in Bulleen.

Eastdog
06-08-2018, 09:20 PM
Marcellin College in Bulleen.

Yeah I was thinking it was that but wasn't 100% sure. Thanks Andrew.

Twodogs
06-08-2018, 10:29 PM
Terry Wheeler was originally from Coldstream BIDS54. Not sure where he is nowadays.

He lives in Williamstown. I see him on the train to the city in the mornings. He looks incredible for a man his age.

I can second that. Wheels lives in Willi and I see him regularly at one of the local watering holes watching bulldogs away games throughout the season.

Terry lives quite close to a mate of mine who lives opposite the Steam Packet.