PDA

View Full Version : What if Gold Coast & GWS never existed?

azabob
29-05-2014, 07:00 PM
If only....

If you are feeling happy and good about life, don't read any further. In fact not sure why Im posting this, as it is bleeping depressing...

Uncompromised drafts – remember them? Those were the days!

On entering the competition, the Gold Coast Suns were handed the first selection in each round, as well as picks No. 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15 in the first round of the 2010 National Draft, while Greater Western Sydney was presented with the first selection in each round, as well as picks No. 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15 in the first round of the 2011 national Draft.

This meant that clubs finishing at the bottom of the ladder had limited access to the best talent in the land.

The wooden-spooner’s first pick was No. 4 instead of No. 1.

Then there were pre-listed 17-year-olds such as Josh Toy, Maverick Weller, Trent McKenzie, Brandon Matera, Matt Shaw, Jeremy Cameron, Dylan Shiel and Adam Treloar, as well as mini-draft selections Jaeger O’Meara, Brad Crouch, Jack Martin and Jesse Hogan.

http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/What-if-Gold-Coast--GWS-never-existed/65050

bulldogtragic
29-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Best not to think like this, but gee we think a like.

About 4 months ago I started a thread with our starting 18 and best 22 if this was the case, assuming we could've picked players within 3 draft picks it was a dead set scary line up. You then gave to factor out our wins against GWS and GCS which drops us further down the then ladder. Factor in mini drafts and pre-listings.

I think it starts with Ward & Harbrow, add in likely one or two of Patton, Cameron, Boyd or Hogan, likely Wingard too.

I then went onto to do a team with this AND father son rule changes not happening. So you add in Ben & Sam Reid, Billie Smedts and Ayce Cordy going third round with a Wallis too, so add in two more first rounders.

That team would have a dynasty if it could manage the salary cap. Off the top of my head it looked something like:

Talia Roughead Morris
Murphy B. Reid Harbrow
Ward Cooney Smedts
S. Reid Hogan Jones
Dahl Cameron Wingard
Minson Libba Griffen

Int: Schoenmakers, Rance, Stringer, Hunter, Grant, Crameri, Wallis, Bonts, Hrovat, Karnezis, Boyd, Gia.

I decided to wipe the thread and cancel it, as it was too hypothetical, assumed we drafted properly and then annoyed me other teams got their benefit of changes and the new clubs gifted a successful era. It's when you work it to this degree you see the players on our list for depth would be playing VFL or even lower, but expected to push us into success. I think I missed a father son too, from memory.

Twodogs
29-05-2014, 10:55 PM
If the AFL was serious they would wind up GWS now and have a mini draft amongst the clubs that missed out when they finished in or near the bottom for their players. But they won't and they will either a/ dragging out the death of GWS over a thousand cuts b/(far more likely) pissing more and more money and concessions down a bottomless well.

I always supported the establishment of a club on the Gold Coast but never in the Western suburbs of Sydney. It always was, has been and is a massive waste of money and resources. It will never work.

azabob
29-05-2014, 11:07 PM
Gee BT that is an impressively depressing starting 18....

bulldogtragic
29-05-2014, 11:15 PM
Gee BT that is an impressively depressing starting 18....

Yep. We've got under 30,000 members. How hard would it be selling memberships to see that team each week? How good is the interchange, cum Footscray forward line!

The flip side to the argument is we got 2 PP's (Cooney and Griff, or Ray & Williams) before that changed too. Other teams should be stronger too though, it was always going to thin lists out, ours more so unfortunately.

Best not to think about it too much. I know I've missed another FS with under 100 games - any helpers who it is folks? It's shitting me, I know there's another player...

Twodogs
30-05-2014, 12:00 AM
Yep. We've got under 30,000 members. How hard would it be selling memberships to see that team each week? How good is the interchange, cum Footscray forward line!

The flip side to the argument is we got 2 PP's (Cooney and Griff, or Ray & Williams) before that changed too. Other teams should be stronger too though, it was always going to thin lists out, ours more so unfortunately.

Best not to think about it too much. I know I've missed another FS with under 100 games - any helpers who it is folks? It's shitting me, I know there's another player...

Rance from Richmond?

jeemak
30-05-2014, 12:16 AM
Interestingly Tom Williams states in the articles posted today that he believes his career has been extended by the thinning out of talent resulting from the addition of the expansion teams.

I have very little doubt there was a purpose behind these teams being added to the competition when teams like ours were at the bottom, rather than teams like Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong, Essendon, Hawthorn etc. AFL House would have been burned to the ground if the steaming pie that is a high draft pick was taken from the powerful clubs mouths.

bulldogtragic
30-05-2014, 01:02 PM
Rance from Richmond?

I love you Twodogs :)

Yes.

Twodogs
30-05-2014, 01:38 PM
I love you Twodogs :)

Yes.

Right back at you BT.

I feel your pain. Nothing worse than having an answer stuck on the tip of your brain.

bulldogtragic
30-05-2014, 02:00 PM
Right back at you BT.

I feel your pain. Nothing worse than having an answer stuck on the tip of your brain.

I know I hate when it happens late at night and the answer just wont come to the front of the brain... I kept thinking Richmond, but Matt White (now at port) was the name, I knew it wasn't him.

Axe Man
30-05-2014, 03:28 PM
Rance from Richmond?

Murray Rance only played 40 games for us so Alex wouldn't have qualified as a father son pick under the old 50 game rule anyway?

Twodogs
30-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Murray Rance only played 40 games for us so Alex wouldn't have qualified as a father son pick under the old 50 game rule anyway?

It started at 1 game and has steadily worked it's way up from there. I remember it being lifted from 25 to 50 but I can't remember it being any lower than than 25.

Axe Man
30-05-2014, 04:52 PM
It started at 1 game and has steadily worked it's way up from there. I remember it being lifted from 25 to 50 but I can't remember it being any lower than than 25.

1 game is ridiculous. Could you imagine the year before Tom Boyd was eligible for the draft we draft his old man and play him for 1 match!

Happy Days
30-05-2014, 05:41 PM
Talia Roughead Morris
Murphy B. Reid Harbrow
Ward Cooney Smedts
S. Reid Hogan Jones
Dahl Cameron Wingard
Minson Libba Griffen

Int: Schoenmakers, Rance, Stringer, Hunter, Grant, Crameri, Wallis, Bonts, Hrovat, Karnezis, Boyd, Gia.

Van Damme. That forward line would kick a cricket score.

azabob
30-05-2014, 07:20 PM

Dan "im the man who hangs with buddy" Hannebery.

Twodogs
30-05-2014, 07:38 PM

I bought a raffle ticket for the players' end of season trip from him one afternoon watching Footscray play district cricket. After I bought it my mates pointed out that the players' trip must have been months beforehand.

1eyedog
30-05-2014, 08:14 PM

Ha ha too true. Did O'Keefe's old man play for us or his Grand Father?

azabob
30-05-2014, 08:16 PM
Ha ha too true. Did O'Keefe's old man play for us or his Grand Father?

Grand father from memory.

F'scary
30-05-2014, 08:19 PM
It is interesting that in addition to the compromised drafts, the AFL watered down a rule which favoured established clubs (i.e., clubs with a history!) Demetriou is obviously the kind of guy who not only king hits from behind but also kicks someone on the ground.