PDA

View Full Version : Match Preview - Round 11: Fremantle

LostDoggy
30-05-2014, 12:16 AM
Hey guys,

This is my first go at a match preview thread, so I'm going the wimp's route and leaving much of this open to discussion, as many of you are going to have much better insights than I on the key match-ups, etc.

Last time we met:

Round 2, 2013 at Etihad. Wow, that was quite a while ago, so my recollections of the match are few. Since then, Freo have played a grand final off a strong attacking style despite the defensive Ross Lyon gameplan (we all remember the prelim against Sydney, right? The Swans had one possession inside their 50 for the entire first half), Hayden Ballantyne still needs to find Jesus and Pavlich… oh, wait, Pav is still there.

Dockers: 16.10 (106)
Dogs: 11.12 (78)

Our best: Libba, Dahlhaus, Cooney, Minson, Crossy.
Theirs: Walters, Fyfe and Crowley.

Brownlow: 3 Libba 2 Fyfe 1 Crowley.

The Most Interesting Things We Learnt On WOOF After The Match

Libba might just be in the top 5-10 inside mids in the game already. If not, he will be by year's end.

Cooney's back. Must have visited the East German doctors who cost Raelene Boyle gold medals.

Gia should have finished last year.

Koby Stevens is a very good find.

Our recent record against the Dockers isn't very good. We last sung that beautiful tune in Round 24, 2011.

Taking On The Purple in 2014.

Fremantle have a VERY good record at Etihad, and have won 4 of their last 5 matches there with a 129.36% scoring percentage. Any thoughts of a home ground advantage, Freo having to travel, etc. are not entirely convincing at the moment.

We have the exact opposite record at the Docklands, 1 win and 4 losses with a 84.52% scoring percentage.

Freo started the season well, but have spent most of 2014 floating around the bottom half of the top eight, and now boast 5 wins and 4 losses sitting 7th on the ladder. Ross Lyon won't be entertaining any talk of leaving players like McPharlin and Sandilands at home, they desperately need a few more wins on the board to remain in the eight and relevant.

Bye Bye?

We were sluggish off ours, and Freo have a way of doing the same, with a 50-50 strike rate coming off the rest.

Fremantle Line-up

McPharlin has indeed been named in the 25, Colin Sylvia and Brady Grey joining him as this week's ins, with Matt de Boer the only out (knee) listed so far. According to the Freo website, McPharlin trained on Wednesday and still needs to prove his fitness, but I expect him to run out and with our current forward line woes, this is not good news.

Zac Dawson finally made it to 50 games, and I hear as a celebration he did a little dance for Daddy Lyon.

Danyle Pearce is playing his 50th consecutive.

FF) Ballantyne, Pavlich, Clarke
HF) Barlow, Mayne, Fyfe
C) Sutcliffe, Crowley, Duffield
HB) Mzungu, Johnson, Pearce
FB) Spurr, McPharlin, Dawson
FOLL) Sandilands, Mundy, Hill
INT) Neale, Ibbotson, Silvagni, Sylvia, Suban, Grey, Sheridan

Our Line-up

Is The Rat back? He's been named in the squad along with Howard, Wallis, Williams and Johannisen as we try to shore up the defensive side of the squad.

Goodes has been omitted, and Smith is out with the shoulder.

FF) Dahlhaus, Crameri, Roberts
HF) Macrae, Williams, Giansiracusa
C) Cooney, Griffen, Stevens
HB) Higgins, Morris, Murphy
FB) Picken, Roughead, Wood
FOLL) Minson, Boyd, Liberatore
INT) Wallis, Bontempelli, Stringer, Tutt, Hrovat, Howard, Johannisen

Key Match-ups

The Guernsey

Whilst our indigenous attire has the distinct benefit of a nice round target on the belly to kick at, the Freo guernsey for mine takes out best design honours. But, as Derek Zoolander tells us, there's more to football than just wearing really, really, ridiculously good looking indigenous guernseys. :cool:

Freo by a thread.

Morris vs. The Purple Shnozzberry

Playing a solid 300th two weeks ago, Pavlich looms as their biggest threat. The Glove has the smarts and experience to go with him, and it's going to be fantastic watching these two gallant old champs go head to head.

Morris. Because he just does it when we need him.

The War Of The Ryans

Griff is just getting his mojo back, and has Crowley to contend with this week. This is going to be another great battle to watch, Griff was electric last week and I reckon our Skipper will take home the honours here.

Griff, by a whisker.

Minno vs. Andre The Giant

If Minson wears these, he's a chance. Otherwise, slim to none. Sandilands is playing well, and Freo are sitting 1st in the league in the hitouts stat.
http://www.simplicitywebdesign.com.au/docs/boot-platforms.jpg
Sandilands by a few feet.

McPharlin vs Virgin Airlines

Having been named, I'm sure he's coming, but one can hope, can't they? I really rate McPharlin, and blokes like Cramers are going to have a rough day at the office if we can't conjure up some magic.

Tell him he's dreaming, Darryl. McPharlin to play.

The Bookies Say

Freo: $1.15
Dogs: $5.75

Getting a crowd attendance of more than 10,000: $21.50

Before you lay your bets, I should warn you, Razor Ray is taking centre stage. I'd want $8.

BornAScragger Says

Freo by 40+. I'll be there with bells on, but not much hope. Sorry boys.

jeemak
30-05-2014, 01:42 AM
Good preview BAS.

Well done.

If ever I was going to lay a cheeky pineapple on the Dogs it would be this week. The odds are so far out against us they're almost bordering on unreasonably generous.

We've been more than competitive in the majority of our games this year, and we're coming from a stinging loss with a seven day break. Fremantle at a relatively small winning percentage don't present the best prospect.....but what do I know about betting!

The one thing about this game, is aside from the length of the ground Subi and Docklands aren't that different. You can run out of space very quickly on the flanks at each of them, and I think this is where we'll get caught out. I really don't hold much hope in us being able to move the ball past center with any fluidity.

bornadog
30-05-2014, 03:55 PM
Thanks BAS.

As Libba said this week, this is going to be a bruising game with all the inside mids going in hard.

Macca said the hardest player to coach against is Pav. I guess Morris will take Pav and Roughie any other talls that come his way. We really need to deliver the ball inside 50 with some quality and not just bang it in the air. or we will not kick goals.

The other thing I would like is to have a good start, sick of playing catch up footy.

Mantis
30-05-2014, 04:14 PM
If ever I was going to lay a cheeky pineapple on the Dogs it would be this week. The odds are so far out against us they're almost bordering on unreasonably generous.

We've been more than competitive in the majority of our games this year, and we're coming from a stinging loss with a seven day break. Fremantle at a relatively small winning percentage don't present the best prospect.....but what do I know about betting!

Not a lot if you are willing to place a 'pineapple' on us... I wouldn't be backing us with stolen money.

bulldogtragic
30-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Thanks BAS, great preview. I'm loving these threads this year.

Eastdog
30-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Good preview BAS. Will be a tough match for us against Freo but im hoping that we can give it a red hot crack.

Axe Man
30-05-2014, 06:32 PM
Does Picken return to defence this week for a battle of the pests against Ballantyne, or does he continue in a tagging role on Stephen Hill?

The return of Wallis may suggest Picken will go back, but I certainly hope Wallis doesn't go to Hill as it would be like Sam Newman trying to keep up with modern thinking. Mundy would probably be a more suitable matchup for Mitch.

The bulldog tragician
30-05-2014, 07:04 PM
Loved this review, several chuckles. The Purple Scnozzberry is a great name.

bornadog
30-05-2014, 07:07 PM
Love the boots so we can match Sandliands

F'scary
30-05-2014, 08:10 PM
good review. I wonder which quarter will be our mystery fade out quarter?

1eyedog
30-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Great review BAS. Enjoyed Minno's new boots!

Eastdog
30-05-2014, 09:43 PM
good review. I wonder which quarter will be our mystery fade out quarter?

Hopefully no quarter and we play 4.

jeemak
31-05-2014, 02:34 AM
Not a lot if you are willing to place a 'pineapple' on us... I wouldn't be backing us with stolen money.

Either I have too much money or I have too much money. Pretty sure I don't have too much money. :)

The line at 38.5/$2.10 didn't seem like a bad deal though. I can't see us being done that badly this week.

ratsmac
31-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Well done BAS

I am with the rest of the mob and don't like our chances this week. That doesn't mean I am not looking forward to this weeks game. I want to see a response from the boys after being showed up last week. I would love to see signs of our forward line looking like a functioning forward line.

LostDoggy
31-05-2014, 03:52 PM
Good preview BAS.

Well done.

The one thing about this game, is aside from the length of the ground Subi and Docklands aren't that different. You can run out of space very quickly on the flanks at each of them, and I think this is where we'll get caught out. I really don't hold much hope in us being able to move the ball past center with any fluidity.

I'm with you, I'm taking us under 39.5 at $6.25 for $50

With them under 39.5 at $2.10 for $50 to cover it.

We will struggle but I don't think it will be a belting. Free crack at $300.