PDA

View Full Version : In Your Opinion: Our Worst Loss

bulldogtragic
30-05-2014, 01:24 PM
With all the Geelong who-ha it got my thinking about or worst loss. Not necessarily the biggest loss, as that thread last 2 posts. But in your personal estimation our worst loss. To keep it interesting, it can't be Grand Finals or Preliminary Finals. It might be goals after the siren, a loss when we needed to win, a loss that embarrassed us, a loss which hurt you in your formative years, and so on and so on...

- For me, the Hawks in the semi in 2008 where Buddy tore Brian a new one. That devastated me so much, and I had worked it out of memory until a post a months back. A clear top loss for mine.

- Losing to Freo (I think it was) the week of Teddy's death, I just wanted so much for us to win

G-Mo77
30-05-2014, 02:20 PM
Ha, was thinking about this last night.

In recent times the trip to West Coast and beaten by 1000 points.

Bulldog Joe
30-05-2014, 02:38 PM
With all the Geelong who-ha it got my thinking about or worst loss. Not necessarily the biggest loss, as that thread last 2 posts. But in your personal estimation our worst loss. To keep it interesting, it can't be Grand Finals or Preliminary Finals. It might be goals after the siren, a loss when we needed to win, a loss that embarrassed us, a loss which hurt you in your formative years, and so on and so on...

- For me, the Hawks in the semi in 2008 where Buddy tore Brian a new one. That devastated me so much, and I had worked it out of memory until a post a months back. A clear top loss for mine.- Losing to Freo (I think it was) the week of Teddy's death, I just wanted so much for us to win

Sorry to be pedantic but it was Morris that got the Buddy trouncing. Lake went to him after half time when the damage was done and acquitted himself well to start a run of having the better of Buddy.

For me the most devastating was Mothers Day 2003 when we got smashed by Freo and I had to realise that we were wooden spoon material.

Sedat
30-05-2014, 02:58 PM
Easy to answer this one. The 2009 QF against Geelong, closely followed by the afore-mentioned 2008 QF against Hawthorn. The Geelong game in particular was bitterly disappointing because they were physically shot, we had beaten them 2 weeks ago and our list was at its prime to win a flag. And yet we curled our toes in that first half, finally woke up late in the match but by then the damage was done. That loss made us play an extra week and then put us into the horror side of the draw against St Kilda in the PF. And no matter how heroic we were against the Saints (and we bloody well were), we should never have given ourselves such a difficult run to the GF.

Remi Moses
30-05-2014, 03:08 PM
I'd go with The norf game Easter 96. We were nearly 100 pts down at half time.
Left in complete disgust. Couple of trips down to Geelong weren't enjoyable( wheeler's last game as coach)
One from about 82 ( few that year) Hawthorn at Waverley ( remember it being warm and about 150 pt loss)
Think there's a difference between a heartbreaker and a pantsing loss

jeemak
30-05-2014, 03:18 PM
First one that came to mind was like Sedat, the 2009 QF. Considering we pulled the same BS in the QF the year before it's unforgivable that our playing list could possibly repeat the error.

Funnily, the Norf game in 1996 was front of mind as well. I remember my Dad giving me a dose of reality early in the 2nd, when he sternly told me we wouldn't be coming back and we were in for an absolute hiding.

bornadog
30-05-2014, 03:20 PM
Qualifying final 1985, Hawks beat us by a then record margin in a final. Other than kicking the first goal, we were never in it.

LostDoggy
30-05-2014, 03:27 PM
Sorry to be pedantic but it was Morris that got the Buddy trouncing. Lake went to him after half time when the damage was done and acquitted himself well to start a run of having the better of Buddy.

Felt so sorry for Morris that night. It was Morris and Franklin one out in 70 metres of space in Hawthorns forward half. It was never going to end well. Would never see a team allow that for a whole half in todays footy.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-05-2014, 03:45 PM
09 QF for the reasons already listed above.

The loss v Carlton in 2012 when they basically had their seconds side in was poor too.

Let's be honest - we have a lot of games to choose from.

Greystache
30-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Pretty much every final we've played against a decent team.

QF 2008
QF 2009
QF 2010
Prelim- 1998
QF- 1995

Most of them insipid efforts just when you thought we might for once lift for the big occasion.

craigsahibee
30-05-2014, 04:42 PM
Round 1 1997

New Name
New Home Ground
Same Result

Loss to Freo, in Melbourne. Winston Abraham kicked the sealer from further out than Malcolm Blight although it bounced, turned, rolled and then bounced some more IIRC.

1eyedog
30-05-2014, 04:46 PM
1994 Qualifying final when Brownless kicked a goal after the siren. I was listening on the radio with about 15 Geelong fans. Makes me sick to this day.

LostDoggy
30-05-2014, 05:21 PM
I find it pretty hard to go past the loss against West Coast in 2011, just a staggeringly poor performance.
Similarly the 100 point loss to Geelong in 2010, we'd won 5 in a row previously and everyone was giving us a chance, and Geelong made us look like a joke. No one in the football world considered us a contender after that.

bornadog
30-05-2014, 05:55 PM
I find it pretty hard to go past the loss against West Coast in 2011, just a staggeringly poor performance.
Similarly the 100 point loss to Geelong in 2010, we'd won 5 in a row previously and everyone was giving us a chance, and Geelong made us look like a joke. No one in the football world considered us a contender after that.

Played with injuries and players playing with flu (as I recall)

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
30-05-2014, 06:46 PM
1994 Qualifying final when Brownless kicked a goal after the siren. I was listening on the radio with about 15 Geelong fans. Makes me sick to this day.

That was horrible I felt like I'd been shot. Still having therapy for the 1997 prelim worst feeling ever :(

The bulldog tragician
30-05-2014, 06:46 PM
On my blog a few weeks ago I recalled a hideous match agains Essendon in 1982 at Windy Hill - by 132 points. It wasn't just the performance, it was being crushed in with the relentlessly awful Essendon fans who never gave it a rest for a moment with their taunts, jeers and mockery. I think that's my lowlight, though the North 96 match was pretty awful too (captured on Year of the Dogs film - how strange to think this was only a year before we nearly grabbed a flag),

I agree that our 08 and 09 QFs were really galling. There is no other excuse for those losses and the way they happened than that we froze in the spotlight. Gee we've endured a lot as fans. Thanks for all the happy memories!!

F'scary
30-05-2014, 08:34 PM
Being smashed in Round 1 tends to destroy all hopes for the season.

bulldogtragic
30-05-2014, 08:38 PM
Ha, was thinking about this last night.

In recent times the trip to West Coast and beaten by 1000 points.

I remember the WCE final, Bubba's 300th. I remember being so stoked we at least got him to 300, but at the same time, it wasn't much of a farewell, at all.

azabob
30-05-2014, 08:55 PM
I remember the WCE final, Bubba's 300th. I remember being so stoked we at least got him to 300, but at the same time, it wasn't much of a farewell, at all.

Who else retired that day?

bulldogtragic
30-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Who else retired that day?

Not sure, Robbins?? Or was he earlier? West played 300 too I remember that much... I think...

bornadog
30-05-2014, 09:53 PM
Not sure, Robbins?? Or was he earlier? West played 300 too I remember that much... I think...

Pretty sure West played his the week before

LostDoggy
30-05-2014, 09:57 PM
West and Smith played their 300ths together in that one. Smith retired but West played on.

azabob
30-05-2014, 11:45 PM
West and Smith played their 300ths together in that one. Smith retired but West played on.

Cheers. I knew two milestones / retirements happened that night.

LostDoggy
31-05-2014, 12:55 AM

My son was there, the sole Bulldog in an entire stand at Subiaco.

jeemak
31-05-2014, 02:29 AM
I think we may have been the only team to beat them at Subi that year.

Twodogs
31-05-2014, 02:52 AM
Bubba put the ice on the team by announcing he would be retiring at the end of the finals series before the Elimination Final against Collingwood. The Collingwood final was his 299th game and because we won and progressed to the next week Bubba got his 300th game.

jeemak
31-05-2014, 03:09 AM
We were a lot of fun to watch in 2006 when things were going our way. We were a lot of fun to watch in the next four years when things were going our way.

Shame we weren't a lot of fun to watch when things weren't during that time.

Hotdog60
31-05-2014, 08:19 AM
On my blog a few weeks ago I recalled a hideous match agains Essendon in 1982 at Windy Hill - by 132 points. It wasn't just the performance, it was being crushed in with the relentlessly awful Essendon fans who never gave it a rest for a moment with their taunts, jeers and mockery. I think that's my lowlight, though the North 96 match was pretty awful too (captured on Year of the Dogs film - how strange to think this was only a year before we nearly grabbed a flag),

I agree that our 08 and 09 QFs were really galling. There is no other excuse for those losses and the way they happened than that we froze in the spotlight. Gee we've endured a lot as fans. Thanks for all the happy memories!!

I was at that game and it would have to be one of the worst games to attend, not so much the flogging on the ground but the beating the fans took in the stands. I have had such a loathing for bomber fans ever since. They would just not let up.

bornadog
31-05-2014, 10:00 AM
I was at that game and it would have to be one of the worst games to attend, not so much the flogging on the ground but the beating the fans took in the stands. I have had such a loathing for bomber fans ever since. They would just not let up.

We took some real beatings in 1980,81 and 82.

Ghost Dog
31-05-2014, 01:11 PM
Finals losses. Can't watch replays.

Remi Moses
31-05-2014, 02:02 PM
We were a lot of fun to watch in 2006 when things were going our way. We were a lot of fun to watch in the next four years when things were going our way.

Shame we weren't a lot of fun to watch when things weren't during that time.
Bingo! We have a winner.

SonofScray
31-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Round 1 1997

New Name
New Home Ground
Same Result

Loss to Freo, in Melbourne. Winston Abraham kicked the sealer from further out than Malcolm Blight although it bounced, turned, rolled and then bounced some more IIRC.

Agree. That loss really stung. It was short lived but I can remember thinking we'd given everything up for nothing.

ratsmac
31-05-2014, 06:36 PM
Sorry but this thread is depressing me

Happy Days
31-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Not a super devastating loss but one that really stuck with me was round 22 in 2003 against Brisbane. For whatever reason I wasn't really watching the scoreboard and thought we were playing okay. Looked up at the end of the game to see we got belted by 83 (ish) points.

That's right, I accepted mediocrity. Dispicable.

bornadog
31-05-2014, 11:54 PM
Not a super devastating loss but one that really stuck with me was round 22 in 2003 against Brisbane. For whatever reason I wasn't really watching the scoreboard and thought we were playing okay. Looked up at the end of the game to see we got belted by 83 (ish) points.

That's right, I accepted mediocrity. Dispicable.

That is funny, how did you miss the scores, especially with a belting like that.

jeemak
01-06-2014, 12:21 AM
That is funny, how did you miss the scores, especially with a belting like that.

Space Cadets can't be questioned. They're just awesome.

Twodogs
01-06-2014, 03:24 AM
Qualifying final 1985, Hawks beat us by a then record margin in a final. Other than kicking the first goal, we were never in it.

Yep this one. We'd been looking forward to playing our first final on the MCG since 1961, the pro-Footscray crowd were building up to a frenzy for 15 minutes leading up to the appereance of the teams on the ground and the place just exploded when the players ran out on the ground. I'd never heard a Footscray crowd make so much noise before a game.

Then Hawthorn just blew us away. The match was over 15 minutes into the first quarter. It was devestating.

Twodogs
01-06-2014, 03:27 AM

We got them back in 2000. I've never seen or heard Bulldog supporters pay out on opposition supporters the way they did when the siren blew that night.

bornadog
01-06-2014, 10:59 AM
Yep this one. We'd been looking forward to playing our first final on the MCG since 1961, the pro-Footscray crowd were building up to a frenzy for 15 minutes leading up to the appereance of the teams on the ground and the place just exploded when the players ran out on the ground. I'd never heard a Footscray crowd make so much noise before a game.

Then Hawthorn just blew us away. The match was over 15 minutes into the first quarter. It was devastating.

I would say that was one of my most disappointing days at the footy. As you say, the anticipation, being in the finals, and knowing we beat Hawthorn only a few weeks before.

KT31
02-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Round 1 1997

New Name
New Home Ground
Same Result

Always looked back at this game and remember it was the game that gave me hope.
From memory we were got to five or six goals behind ( a fair bit in those days) and got back into the game and nearly stole it.
Lost in the end by a flukey goal.
I turned to SS and said in the last quarter "I can see a bit of hope in this side and think they will be the ones to break our drought."
He mocked me and we went on to beat Sydney the next week, and another win the next couple.
Also from memory this was the only round we were not in the top eight for the season.
By the seasons end, sadly I was only a kick away from being right.
One good thing did come out of not winning "97 was I didn't have to give SS a big smooch on the lips.

bornadog
02-06-2014, 12:06 PM
One good thing did come out of not winning "97 was I didn't have to give SS a big smooch on the lips.

Now that would be disgusting :D