PDA

View Full Version : Handball of death

Dry Rot
01-06-2014, 01:15 AM
Why do we so often handball to a player in a poor or worse position? It's something I've noticed in our game for many seasons now.

Today we play a team who is pretty good at handballing to advantage. I watched the Freo v Cats game and the Freo handballing was amazing I thought.

Will be interesting to see the contrast.

jeemak
01-06-2014, 01:28 AM
Structure.

We don't have anyone to kick to, who can be relied upon to make a contest and at least neutralise the contest so the opposition don't just run it out and smash us like they have done for the two and a half years before we kicked in a little at the end of 2013.

The coaching staff would tell the players not to waste the footy going forward, meaning they need to keep possession of it as long as possible. The end result of that is handballs to players who are just as shit as using it as the players they received it from.

Dry Rot
01-06-2014, 01:37 AM
I think that only partially explains it.

Even when we handballing to nearby players, they rarely get free, while the nearby Freo players seem to position themselves better to receive it from their team mate.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-06-2014, 01:52 AM
I wouldn't say our list is blessed with good decision makers.

Eg. Not only is it a dumb decision to handball to a stationary target, it's also a dumb decision to call for the ball as that stationary target.

Libba is fantastic and creative with his hands, Bonti will be fantastic at it and Macrae is OK, Murphy generally pretty good but most others struggle with it. As much as I love Griffen, and as good as he is, his decision making can be really poor at times - by both hand and foot. He has good skills, but his decision to often bomb the ball (for example) lets him down.

jeemak
01-06-2014, 02:35 AM
I think that only partially explains it.

Even when we handballing to nearby players, they rarely get free, while the nearby Freo players seem to position themselves better to receive it from their team mate.

With respect, I think it explains it about as spot on as it can.

The receiving players don't get free because there isn't space to get free in, and when they receive it there's nothing to kick to for them just as much as there was nothing to kick to for the person that gave the ball to them.

By and by, we're not trying to be the same as Freo when it comes to getting out of the above situation you mentioned. Once we get the talent on our list aligned to the plan, we'll be a side that uses it in close well, to make sure we benefit from open numbers in the forward line.

bornadog
01-06-2014, 11:02 AM
I watched a bit of the Tigers last night, on and off flipping channels. Their handballing was atrocious, very similar to us, handballing at players feet and not even under pressure.

F'scary
01-06-2014, 12:49 PM
Thread title completely cracked me up.:D:D:D

bornadog
01-06-2014, 12:50 PM
Thread title completely cracked me up.:D:D:D

Did you think of Koby when you read it.:D

Happy Days
01-06-2014, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't say our list is blessed with good decision makers.

Eg. Not only is it a dumb decision to handball to a stationary target, it's also a dumb decision to call for the ball as that stationary target.

Bingo.

Not to scapegoat or anything, but Koby Stevens is absolutely ELITE at making the wrong decision all the time.

bulldogtragic
01-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Koby.

F'scary
01-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Did you think of Koby when you read it.:D

I think Minson has taken the mantle from Kobe after last week's effort.