PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite and not so favourite Bulldogs

BulldogBelle
28-10-2007, 04:54 PM
We all have favourite Bulldog players and not so favourite ones which three players over the years both present players and ex players would be your 3 most loved and your 3 most disliked for whatever reason?

Liked:

1. Chris Grant - my absolute favourite, in my eyes – none will surpass him.
2. Doug Hawkins - Dougie, loved the way he moved around his opponents, was a joy to watch. Loved his larriken nature and a down to earth Braybrook boy.
3. Rick Kennedy – tough hard and uncompromising, had no fear.

Disliked:

1. Simon Atkins - I just never warmed to him, he was a good player but there was just something about him I didn’t like.
2. Nigel Kellett - Another one I didn’t like, did nothing to inspire me.
3. No one else comes to mind at the moment – but anyone else who has left our club on unsavoury terms would be a candidate.

Who are some of your goods and bads?

The Coon Dog
28-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Liked:

1. Peter Foster. There was just something I liked about Fozzie. He wore his heart on his sleeve & hated it when a free kick went against him. He gave us everything he had.

2. Stephen MacPherson. After Darren Jarman, he had the best baulk in football. Lovely kick & really matured from the young tearaway he was.

3. Rick Kennedy. Uncompromising & gave as good as he got. Never squealed either.

Disliked:

1. Luke Penny. Couldn't kick properly. Had no personality at all. Led his sponsor to believe he would remain a Bulldog & nicked off to St. Kilda without letting her know. Spineless!

2. Ilija Grgic. Always seemed up himself when I saw him outside football.

3. Keenan Reynolds. I thought he was a big head.

GVGjr
28-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Too easy to with Grant and Hawkins etc so I'll go with a few others.

Liked
1. Tony McGuinness
2. Peter Foster
3. Andrew Purser

Apologies to about 50 others

Disliked
1. Robert Klomp
2. Matthew Mansfield
3. Darren Davies

There is another 20 (at least) that could have made this list.

GVGjr
28-10-2007, 05:11 PM
CD, I didn't mind Keenan Reynolds at all. Thought he did OK for an average footballer. I liked the game that he played on Loewe in the finals series and didn't mind when he was sent up forward on occasions.

The Coon Dog
28-10-2007, 07:01 PM
CD, I didn't mind Keenan Reynolds at all. Thought he did OK for an average footballer. I liked the game that he played on Loewe in the finals series and didn't mind when he was sent up forward on occasions.

I was talking to the local Auskick co-ordinator out my way a few weeks back & he mentioned that most parents get involved & volunteer their time to help the kids. He cited one former AFL footballer who would really be able to help out, but just refuses to. He's talking about Keenan Reynolds.

DOG GOD
28-10-2007, 07:08 PM
LIKED: Simon Beasley
Darren Baxter
Cameron Faulkner
(heaps more)

DISLIKED: Darren Davies
Trent Bartlett
Patrick Wiggins
(unfotunately a few more) :)

Max469
28-10-2007, 07:17 PM
I will leave Chris out as well.

I have a mixture of past and present:

Liked / like

1. Geoff Jennings

2. Neil Cordy

3. Robert Murphy

Could add a few more to this.

Dislike: please don't ask for reasons - it is because there is something about them I am / was not keen on:

1. Adam Cooney

2. Sam Power

3. Jim Edmond

The Coon Dog
28-10-2007, 07:18 PM
DISLIKED: Darren Davies
Trent Bartlett
Patrick Wiggins
(unfotunately a few more) :)

Funny, that they are all from Tasmania!

BulldogBelle
28-10-2007, 07:21 PM
There are so many more that you can add to the Likes - I just wanted to narrow it down to see who everyone's favourites were.

GVGjr
28-10-2007, 07:33 PM
I cannot believe that I left Bernie Quinlan off the list. I'll edit mine later and remove Polly for the list.

Dry Rot
28-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Liked:

Croft
Kretuik
Harris

Disliked - at the end, all these guys took us for a ride:

Penny
Brown
Rawlings

Sockeye Salmon
29-10-2007, 12:35 AM
I was talking to the local Auskick co-ordinator out my way a few weeks back & he mentioned that most parents get involved & volunteer their time to help the kids. He cited one former AFL footballer who would really be able to help out, but just refuses to. He's talking about Keenan Reynolds.

Reynolds started going out with my cousin when they were still at school and was her partner for about 10 years. I got on with him OK (I only really saw him at Christmas or family gatherings.

In the end he turned out to be a right royal ****.

W W Biscuit
29-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Just interested to know why Darren Davies made a couple of lists. Personality?

Anyhoo,

LIKE:

1. Chris Grant - no explanation needed.
2. Peter Foster - a big heart for the big jobs, he always seemed to hold his own against the likes of Kernahan and Leowe (and by the way, up yours, Paul Dear).
3 Brett Montgomery - quality player and person. Bled for us. So glad he came back. :)

DISLIKE:

1. Ian 'every man for himself' Dunstan
2. Nathan Brown - everything Monty wasn't (well, okay, he WAS a good player)
3. Simon Atkins - I don't know, might be a top bloke, but seemed like a bit of a wuss on the field.

GVGjr
29-10-2007, 08:27 PM
WWB, I didn't like Davies because he was just so inconsistent. He would go missing in a lot of the bigger games as well. I thought a lot of supporters gave him too much latitude with his poor performances.

LostDoggy
29-10-2007, 08:31 PM
LIKE:
Grant- no explanation needed
Sexy Robbo- favorite player for ages, loved his determination
Kritters- fought out of his weight division all his carrer and never gave up

DISLIKE:
none that spring to mind

DOG GOD
29-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Funny, that they are all from Tasmania!

hehe TCD...funny that...not deliberate...didnt wells come from tassie too?

God i hope we dont pick a tassie guy in THIS draft.

The Coon Dog
29-10-2007, 08:46 PM
hehe TCD...funny that...not deliberate...didnt wells come from tassie too?

God i hope we dont pick a tassie guy in THIS draft.
And Michael Martyn, James Cooke, Simon Minton-Connell, Paul Hudson, Simon Atkins, Ben Harrison & Jade Rawlings. Funny how many of them played at another club.

Rocket Science
29-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Leaving the more obvious ones aside; hello Messrs Grant and Rawlings.

Most Admired:
Leon Cameron - Champagne footballer, silky smooth mover of the footy, loved those left foot bombs from long range, a genuine pleasure to watch. Plough can get stuffed for trading Leon alone.
Steve MacPherson - Gutsy firebrand and team enforcer, hardness belied his skills and smarts around the contest.
Mick McLean - Courageous, full of dash, was devastated when Magic was shown the door.

Honourable mentions: Brian Royal, Neil Cordy, Daniel Cross

Least Admired:
Daniel Bandy - Clueless camel on roller skates.
Paul Hudson - 'Hungry' Mach-2, one-dimensional, high-fiving downhill skiier, annoying as hell.
Nathan Brown - It was all about Browny.

Dishonourable mentions: Matty Hogg, Barry Standfield, Luke Penny

BulldogBelle
29-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Leon Cameron - Champagne footballer, silky smooth mover of the footy, loved those left foot bombs from long range, a genuine pleasure to watch. Plough can get stuffed for trading Leon alone.

Leon was very cut up about having to leave the Dogs at that time - he wanted a longer contract Dogs wouldn't budge due to Wallace's direction. I remember when he left he said that he would be back at the Dogs at some stage, true to his word he returned.

Bickys
29-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Liked-
1. Chris Grant
2. Brad Johnson
3. Steven Kretiuk

Disliked-
1. Nathan Brown
2. Shane Ellen
3. Luke Beveridge

BulldogBelle
29-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Liked: Dougy
Steve Wallis (loved)
Simon Beasley
Johnno
Rick Kennedy
Mark Athorn (top bloke-played with him)

Meh: Mat Mansfield (knob-played against him)
Gary Walpole (Seniors?- WTF!)
Paul Hudson

GVGjr
29-10-2007, 11:56 PM
I didn't think anyone else would have disliked Mansfield.

bornadog
30-10-2007, 12:27 AM
There aren't too many that I disliked over the years, so I can't really contribute.

Liked - well the list is long. Here are some favourites

1970's - Gary Dempsey

1980's - Templton, Beasley, Rick Kennedy, Hawkins, Royal and McPherson

1990's - Grant, Wynd, Libba,

2000's - Johnston, West, Darcy, Smith

Players Current that excite - Cooney, Williams, Gilbee, Higgins,Murphy

I have left out lots:D but not on purpose

LostDoggy
30-10-2007, 12:35 AM
Favourites
Granty (of course)
Westy (100% dedicated)
Smithy (how did he get the nickname bubba)
Kretiuk
Croft (loved the big fella)
Harris and Murphy (my favs now)

Least Favourites

Brown,
Brown,
and did I mention Brown:mad:

Dishonourable mentions - Rawlings and Bandy (although I think he tried)

BulldogBelle
30-10-2007, 12:38 AM
Brown,
Brown,
and did I mention Brown:mad:

I didn't quite read that properly, did you just write Brown, when did he play for us? :D

Rocket Science
30-10-2007, 12:44 AM
Favourites
Smithy (how did he get the nickname bubba)

Not sure of the logic behind it, but I understand it came from a well known American gridiron player of the 70's, Bubba Smith...Non-NFL fans might know him better as 'Hightower' from the Police Academy series.

LostDoggy
30-10-2007, 12:49 AM
Not sure of the logic behind it, but I understand it came from a well known American gridiron player of the 70's, Bubba Smith...Non-NFL fans might know him better as 'Hightower' from the Police Academy series.

Thanks for that RS - I am sure there is a good story to be told behind that;)

Bulldog Revolution
30-10-2007, 09:04 AM
I didn't think anyone else would have disliked Mansfield.

Surprised me - I was surprised enough with yours GVGjr - Mansfield always seemed like he could have been really good

Bulldog Revolution
30-10-2007, 09:14 AM
Favourites:
Royal
McGuinness
Cameron
Gilbee
Addison

Least Favourites:
P Bowden
B Murphy
M Martin

LostDoggy
30-10-2007, 09:48 AM
WWB, I didn't like Davies because he was just so inconsistent. He would go missing in a lot of the bigger games as well. I thought a lot of supporters gave him too much latitude with his poor performances.

I heard a lot of stories that he was disliked internally as well.

Mantis
30-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Liked:

B.Royal
C.Grant
D.Cross

Dis-liked:

M.Alvey
T.Curley
N.Eagleton

Twodogs
30-10-2007, 12:15 PM
And Michael Martyn, James Cooke, Simon Minton-Connell, Paul Hudson, Simon Atkins, Ben Harrison & Jade Rawlings. Funny how many of them played at another club.

All of them played at other clubs;

Michael Martyn-Brisbane
James Cooke-Carlton
Simon Minton-Connell-Hawthorn, Swans & Carlton
Paul Hudson-Hawthorn & Richmond
Simon Atkins-Fitzroy
Ben Harrison-Richmond & Carlton
Jade Rawlings- Hawthorn & North.

Twodogs
30-10-2007, 12:24 PM
1-Kelvin Templeton-Just an awesome, awesome player. Never seen a more talented player in the R, W & B and only saw one better player in my life.

2- Doug Hawkins-Footscray through and through and the bloke we all wanted to be in the '80s

3-Libba. Named ,y daughter aftre him-enough said.

Very close-Rohan Smith-Got to live out all our dreams and played 300 games with the club he grew up around the corner from.

Disliked;

1-BEN HARRISON- built like Tarzan and played like Jane after being on a low protein diet. Never bothered him that he was the second heaviest bloke on the list when it was his turn to 'go'. He was quite happy to hang back and let the smaller blokes do the work for him.Most outstanding acheivment in the R, W & B was playing almost 100 games and never wearing a bruise-amazing!

2-Jade Rawlings-signed a contract then had a two year long sook fest about the fact he didnt end up where he wanted to in the first place.

3-Gary Dempsey-Never, ever forget.

LostDoggy
30-10-2007, 01:05 PM
1-Kelvin Templeton-Just an awesome, awesome player. Never seen a more talented player in the R, W & B and only saw one better player in my life.
Disliked;
3-Gary Dempsey-Never, ever forget.
I don't understand the difference between these two Carl?

The Underdog
30-10-2007, 01:08 PM
3-Libba. Named ,y daughter aftre him-enough said.

Tony or Libba?

Likes-

1. Steve Kretiuk
2. Mitch Hahn
3. Luke Darcy
4. Mark West, has any player been remembered more fondly for a small number of games

Dislikes-
1. Daniel Bandy
2. Kingsley Hunter
3. Sam Power
Not a dislike especially but none of them ever inspired any particular like

Twodogs
30-10-2007, 01:12 PM
I don't understand the difference between these two Carl?

One said "My knee's gone, get something for me while you can"

The other wouldnt play if his match payments werent in the bank by friday afternoon before the game and left to go to another club for his own reasons.

Twodogs
30-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Tony or Libba?

Her given names are Lucy Liberatore Joy.

Liberatore was my choice and Joy was her mum's choice for a middle name-we just agreed she looked like a Lucy.

If you ever meet her you'll see I was pretty close to the mark, but so was her mum.;)

The Underdog
30-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Her given names are Lucy Liberatore Joy.

Liberatore was my choice and Joy was her mum's choice for a middle name-we just agreed she looked like a Lucy.

If you ever meet her you'll see I was pretty close to the mark, but so was her mum.;)

Having just gone through the process of naming I'm interested in how people get to their choices. We did the same thing and totally decided her name on what she looked like, which sounds wierd as they all kind of just look like babies. How does she go spelling her middle name?

Twodogs
30-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Having just gone through the process of naming I'm interested in how people get to their choices. We did the same thing and totally decided her name on what she looked like, which sounds wierd as they all kind of just look like babies. How does she go spelling her middle name?

Yeah. Our first baby was just 'baby' for a week while me and the ex procastinated about it. The the movie "Harvey" was on TV and we'd both loved the movie so we went with it. It was one of those moments where we were looking throght the TV guide, saw the name at the same time and both said "Harvey" out loud and looked at each other. Suits him too.

As to spelling the name, she doesnt, but she's very keen on putting on stage shows and has adopted "Lucy Liberatore" as her stage name.

The Underdog
30-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Yeah. Our first baby was just 'baby' for a week while me and the ex procastinated about it. The the movie "Harvey" was on TV and we'd both loved the movie so we went with it. It was one of those moments where we were looking throght the TV guide, saw the name at the same time and both said "Harvey" out loud and looked at each other. Suits him too.

As long as you bought him a large white rabbit to talk to while he had his bottle ;)

Twodogs
30-10-2007, 01:50 PM
As long as you bought him a large white rabbit to talk to while he had his bottle ;)

We did, but it was invisible. Kinda like the bike he asked about for Christmas will probably be.

The Coon Dog
30-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Brian Lara named his daughter Sydney after his 277 there. Windies Commentator Tony Cosier, wryly remarked that he was glad Lara hadn't made the 277 in Lahore. ;)

Sedat
30-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Favourites:

Templeton - watching Seven's Big League highlights of him kicking 15 goals against St Kilda in 1978 was the clincher for me choosing to barrack for the Dogs (Dad was North and Mum was Carlton). A little childhood optimism and innocence died when Templeton left us to play for Melbourne. Injuries killed the chance for him to forge a wonderful career as one of the all-time greats - he was that good and had that much talent.

Royal - just a sensational rover/small forward for us and the Big V throughout the 80's. Shattered that his achilles ijury left him stranded in 199 games and 299 goals. Had a knee reco before he played his first game - no mean feat back in the early 80's.

Grant - gave us hope for the future after our brush with death in 1989. He then proceeded to show the football world what a gifted player he was. Some of his exploits on the field, especially during the 1996-2000 purple patch, will live long in the memory.

Honorable mentions to Fossie, Tits Kennedy, Super, Jim Sewell, Purser, Bamblett, Hawk, Shorty Daniels, actually most of the 1985 squad. I also loved season 1992 immensely.

Not-so favourites:

Sedat Sir - heads the list by quite a way. Just a very poor player. From a supporters viewpoint, he was simply awful to watch and endure.

Nigel Kellett - I know he tried hard, but he was like a headless chook on the field. Always tried to do too much when he had the ball.

Todd Curley - also tried hard but made so many elementary errors that gifted the opposition easy goals just about every week.

Peter Quill - like the other 2 mentioned, but even more prone to making errors of laughable stupidity on the field. He had me tearing my hair out more than any other Dogs player.

Although he never played a senior game for us, I really disliked Ricky Jackson. Admittedly that had more to do with his role in burying our finals hopes in Round 22 1987.

Palace03
30-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Like Granty, West, Johnno, Crofty and Kretiuk

Dislike: Patrick Wiggins, Nathan Brown, Richard Osbourne

GVGjr
30-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Like Granty, West, Johnno, Crofty and Kretiuk

Dislike: Patrick Wiggins, Nathan Brown, Richard Osbourne

Palace03, what was the problem with Richard Osbourne? Was it leaving for the Gridiron and costing Wheeler his job?

Bulldog4life
30-10-2007, 09:12 PM
1/ Libba for me. He just never stopped trying and they talk about scratches, marks & blood on his opponents. Well at the end of a lot of his matches he was covered in them himself. The difference was he never whinged.

2/ Beasley: Underrated player, oh I wish we had him now, whose goal average per game is up with the best. Saw him kick 12 a number of times and who can forget that mark he talk off Gubby Allan.

3/ Murphy: Love to see Murph play in full flight. One of the best movers I've seen in the Bulldog jumper. His best is still to come too I believe. A joy to watch.

Sorry to many many other players that I could have mentioned.

To be frank I have never had a dislike for any player that is wearing the red, white & blue. But if they leave to go to another AFL Club the "dislike meter" goes haywire. There are too many to mention.:rolleyes:

BulldogBelle
30-10-2007, 09:20 PM
But if they leave to go to another AFL Club the "dislike meter" goes haywire.

Yes, it does raise your blood pressure a tad when they go to another club eg Nathan Brown - The more you liked and admired the player whilst they was at the Bulldogs when they defect of their own accord and leave in an unsavoury way - somehow, you hate them more. There is a fine line between love and hate.

LostDoggy
31-10-2007, 03:01 PM
One said "My knee's gone, get something for me while you can"

The other wouldnt play if his match payments werent in the bank by friday afternoon before the game and left to go to another club for his own reasons.

If I remember rightly he went to North as he thought he would get to play in a premiership.

It didnt work as Norths GF wins of the 70's were behind them when Demps went over....

bornadog
31-10-2007, 03:17 PM
If I remember rightly he went to North as he thought he would get to play in a premiership.

It didnt work as Norths GF wins of the 70's were behind them when Demps went over....

It may come as a surprise to all but our finances were not brilliant in the 1970's:D which forced us to sell players to other clubs. Those days a transfer fee was required to be paid so in order to keep our heads above the water, we sold off players like Dempsey, Quinlan, Templeton and others. Adminstration of the club was woeful.

However, having said that I remember one game at the Western Oval, in Dempseys last year, he stood in the middle of the ground and watched the ball flying up and down the ground and made no attempt to run into any position to get the ball, and to top it off he had his hands on his hips I thought it was a pretty poor attitude from a five time best and fairest and brownlow winner and realized he would be leaving the club.

Otherwise, he still is one of my favourites as he was one of the all time great ruckman that has played League football.

LostDoggy
31-10-2007, 04:12 PM

Got pretty close didn't he? As he played in the 78 GF loss.

Twodogs
31-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Got pretty close didn't he? As he played in the 78 GF loss.

Nup. He was with us in '78.

The Coon Dog
31-10-2007, 11:09 PM
Nup. He was with us in '78.

Spot on Twodogs! My whopper bopper super dooper spreadsheet lists Gary Dempsey as a Bulldog in 1978 & the MCG (http://www.mcg.org.au/default.asp?pg=footballdisplay&articleid=483) website has the North Melbourne team.

North Melbourne
B: R. Henshaw, R. Glendinning, G. Cowton
HB: K. Montgomery, D. Sutton, K. Greig (Capt.)
C: S. Alves, X. Tanner, W. Schimmelbusch
HF: A. Briedis, S. McCann, M. Boyse
F: M. Blight, P. Baker, R. Huppatz
FOLL.: M. Nolan, J. Byrne, G. Melrose
INTER.: D. Smith, J. Cassin
COACH: Ron Barassi

Dancin' Douggy
31-10-2007, 11:20 PM
over the journey it's been Doug, Leon, Chris, Johnno and Westy. I loved Danny Southern, Bubba, Kolyniuk, Kretiuk and Monty as well.
Of the current batch it's Will Minson, Murph, Brian Harris and "million dollar griff" that get me fired up. Got a good feeling about Paul O shea as well.

The worst? Well Nathan Brown is the arch villain and I won't even mention the word Kharma. Kingsley Hunter, Minton Connell, James Cook, Jakovich, aaron James
..... and the endless stream of failed trades for that elusive key forward are all pretty depressing names. I felt sorry for Rawlings and we copped our own dose of kharma for that piece of trickery. Sam Power is one player I struggle with. He seems like a great intelligent bloke but what he's doing on an afl list is a complete mystery to me. Patrick Bowden was soft as eel guts, and my constant chorus " TRADE WADE" goes unanswered every year.

Twodogs
01-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Spot on Twodogs! My whopper bopper super dooper spreadsheet lists Gary Dempsey as a Bulldog in 1978 & the MCG (http://www.mcg.org.au/default.asp?pg=footballdisplay&articleid=483) website has the North Melbourne team.

North Melbourne
B: R. Henshaw, R. Glendinning, G. Cowton
HB: K. Montgomery, D. Sutton, K. Greig (Capt.)
C: S. Alves, X. Tanner, W. Schimmelbusch
HF: A. Briedis, S. McCann, M. Boyse
F: M. Blight, P. Baker, R. Huppatz
FOLL.: M. Nolan, J. Byrne, G. Melrose
INTER.: D. Smith, J. Cassin
COACH: Ron Barassi

He was one of ours and he was a bloody good player.

LostDoggy
01-11-2007, 10:28 AM
He was one of ours and he was a bloody good player.

Thats why I was confused. Dempsey and Huppatz seemed inseparable.

Twodogs
01-11-2007, 10:34 AM
Thats why I was confused. Dempsey and Huppatz seemed inseparable.

Fair point. They were almost twins-I can see why you are confused.

LostDoggy
01-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Fair point. They were almost twins-I can see why you are confused.
I feel the Arnie sketch from the late show coming on.

:)
I'm talking ruck-rover combinations. Farmer-Goggin, Thompson-Richardson, etc.
I was a kid and remember Dempsey-Huppatz in my first few Bulldog games.

Palace03
01-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Palace03, what was the problem with Richard Osbourne? Was it leaving for the Gridiron and costing Wheeler his job?

Just to me seemed like his heart was never in it, journeyed from club to club and always had one eye on the US, just never seemed committed to the club.

LostDoggy
01-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Just to me seemed like his heart was never in it, journeyed from club to club and always had one eye on the US, just never seemed committed to the club.

Spot on I think.

LostDoggy
01-11-2007, 02:48 PM
I feel the Arnie sketch from the late show coming on.

:)
I'm talking ruck-rover combinations. Farmer-Goggin, Thompson-Richardson, etc.
I was a kid and remember Dempsey-Huppatz in my first few Bulldog games.

Ernie,

Are you talking about the one where Tony Martin was dressed up like Arnie and kept going on about Ivan Rietman being "fantastic!"

That was a classic, I used to love the late show :D

LostDoggy
01-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Ernie,

Are you talking about the one where Tony Martin was dressed up like Arnie and kept going on about Ivan Rietman being "fantastic!"

That was a classic, I used to love the late show :D

Funtuzzic Durecta, I fink a geeenius

LostDoggy
01-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Funtuzzic Durecta, I fink a geeenius

I wonder if he'd "make love to him, like a TIGER.."

LostDoggy
04-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Liked:

Croft
Kretuik
Harris

Disliked - at the end, all these guys took us for a ride:

Penny
Brown
Rawlings

Same - except I'll replace Harris (no disrespect) with Robbins - the bloke always gave 100% regardless of the scoreboard.

And replace Rawlings with Bowden - the bloke had a pea heart!

Dry Rot
05-11-2007, 12:12 AM
Same - except I'll replace Harris (no disrespect) with Robbins - the bloke always gave 100% regardless of the scoreboard.

And replace Rawlings with Bowden - the bloke had a pea heart!

Welcome to WOOF bc013. Yes, Bowden belongs at the Tigers. :)

GVGjr
05-11-2007, 12:16 AM
Welcome to WOOF bc013. Yes, Bowden belongs at the Tigers. :)

Pat was cut from the squad last week.

Dry Rot
05-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Pat was cut from the squad last week.

Hm, he's not even good enough for them....

always right
05-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Loved;
Geoff Jennings
Alby Smedts (made me laugh but he could take a speccy)
Sandilands
Templeton
Magic Mclean
Tits Kennedy
Hawk
Billy Kolynuik
Terry Wheeler (the player, not the coach)
Granty
Johnno
Mitch
Harro
Big Tom

Loathed;
Alistair Ford
David Allday (that bloody beard)
Alan Daniels (great debut but was a sheep dog)
Nathan Brown (Mr Individual)

tomawk
05-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Like: Ivan Marsh, Charlie Evans, Ray Walker (can I add John Quarrell?).
Dislike: Nathan Brown,Alan Stoneham, Murray Rance. (And I almost forgot, Nathan Brown.)

beaser
05-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Peter Foster is one of my all time favourites , watching him back into packs and pull in one grabbers and stitch up the likes of Brereton were great times he was big and tough and consistent.
Hawk ,Granty and Westy up there as well.
Paul Hudson and Nathan Brown both big heads

bornadog
06-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Peter Foster is one of my all time favourites ,

Saw Fozzy at the races on Saturday in the members stand enjoying himself.

BulldogBelle
06-11-2007, 12:20 AM
Saw Fozzy at the races on Saturday in the members stand enjoying himself.

He is a nice bloke, I had met him a couple of times when he was playing at the Dogs, I remember a long time ago at Silver's Nightclub as some of the oldies on here will remember it was a happening nightspot back then...he and Ilija Grigic were absolutely plastered off their faces, they came over to say hi and my friends and I gave them a lift home to Foster's place in Essendon. Also remember a very intoxicated Peter Daicos, Darren Baxter and Darren Millane that night.

gohardorgohome
20-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Where did you play with Athorn WonnyDog. Was it at East Keilor in Juniors. I played with both Athorn and Matty Hogg. Both good blokes abd tough as old nails.

westdog54
22-01-2008, 02:25 PM
I wonder if he'd "make love to him, like a TIGER.."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDyuz0zFyv0 (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDyuz0zFyv0)

Cookie
22-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Like: Ivan Marsh, Charlie Evans, Ray Walker (can I add John Quarrell?).
Dislike: Nathan Brown,Alan Stoneham, Murray Rance. (And I almost forgot, Nathan Brown.)

To keep the era you mention, I'll add to your likes:
Ian Bryant
Ray Baxter
Wee Georgie

Disliked (all time)
Alan Daniels (absolute chicken heart)
Bruce Reid (traitor and mercenary)
Steven Knight (no saving graces at all)

hotdog
25-01-2008, 02:14 AM
Like:

Fozzie
A. Pursar
Jim Edmond
Wallis
Griff
Grant
Phil Maylin
Wynd
Gronnewagen- just loved the name but was also a top bloke!

Not my favourites:
Neil Cordy
Brad Hardie
N Brown
Eagleton- although 06 I was warming
Tyson Lane

BulldogBelle
25-01-2008, 01:09 PM
I played with both Athorn and Matty Hogg. Both good blokes abd tough as old nails.

I remember when he played for East Keilor he was a really nice guy and I knew him through a friend of mine that was going out with him for a short time. He is definitely a very nice person.

The Coon Dog
25-01-2008, 02:08 PM
I remember when he played for East Keilor he was a really nice guy and I knew him through a friend of mine that was going out with him for a short time. He is definitely a very nice person.

Matty Hogg totally lost me when he king hit Brian Royal. Anyone who went to the players review that night & saw Chocco's face would know what I mean.

always right
25-01-2008, 06:48 PM
One of most favourite favourites (you know what I mean) is Tom Williams. Have you ever cottoned onto a player and desparately want him to make the grade so much it hurts? Tom is that player for me.

Tall, well built, fast, aggressive, overcoming setbacks....what a great story and the type of player we so desparately need.

hargs37
25-01-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm amazed at some of the dislikes. it's pretty hard to narrow that lot down to just a couple when we've been truly terrible at times. On the other hand, I also find it difficult to dislike anyone that has played for the mighty bulldogs...except that scumbag Nathan Brown. He does deserve to play at Richmond. I dont want to upset anyone here, but a player from the late 90's and early00's, that used to infuriate me more than anyone I've seen pull on the red white and blue, was Simon Garlick. Now I know he's a director and is doing a great job helping run the club, but my GOD! As a player he used to always get in the way, be it a leading forward or an on baller trying to get the pill. Wasn't half as good as Paul Hudson( who I think is fairly hasrhly criticised at times), and thought he needed to be about 20 meters behind Crofty when coming off after their last game. Once again soory but that how I felt!

Mofra
25-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Favourites:

A clear no 1 by a large margin - Jack Collins
Croft
Kretiuk
Grant
Southern
Kennedy
T. McGuinness (helped me out in primary school)
Lake/Harris/Psycho

Dislike:

Brown (he was right to leave the Bulldogs, our offer was appalling. He's just a right pr!ick
to deal with outside of football)
B. Murphy

ledge
01-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Kelvin Templeton, Doug Hawkins and Chris Grant were my favourites, mmm most disliked wont say disliked because i never knew them but footballing abillity.. Rawlings,Ian Salmon a trier but never was there as a footballer, and the most frustrating Mark West coulda been anything.

LostDoggy
01-03-2008, 09:31 PM
1- Shane Birss(may have just given away who i am if people didnt already know)
2- Will Minson
3- Nathan Brown(i hate what he did to the club but i love the guy)

Dislike
1- Tim Walsh ( couldnt stand the guy on and off the field, imo the doggies wasted time keepikng him on the list)
2- Rohan smith(dont know why jsut didnt like a few things i seen him do)
3- Farren Ray

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Liked.

1. Chris Grant..... just came out of the blue for me.. as unlike now (with the web & PayTV) I was in the dark on our recruiting up here in Qld. When I first saw him play.. I was just ecstatic that we'd looked to have unearthed a gem of a Key Position player.

2. Kelvin Templeton- KT was the first player I "adopted" as my fave as a 5 or 6 year old. Was shattered when he left.

3. Brian Royal.... for me he was one of a number who typifed our spirit in the tough days of the 80's.

Apologies: Steve Macpherson, Peter Foster, Robert Groenewegen & Jimmy Sewell

Loathed

1. Jose Romero... sure a fierce competitor.. but I couldn't stand him when he was at North, and never really took a shine to him

2. Paul Dimmatina. just used to frustrate the heck out of me.....

3. Daniel Hagreaves... wasted talent... struck me as a bit ofa FIGJAM..... which would've been fine.. if he had've produced the goods consistently.... I still remember the scene from Year of the dogs where at the beginning of a game against Sydney said something like " What a beautiful day... a bloke could make a name for himself on a day like this"....... we got absolutely belted.........

Dishonourable Mentions: Craig Ellis, Tyson Lane, and Anthony Campbell

LostDoggy
01-03-2008, 10:34 PM
I find that one puzzling m27. Any reason?

I really dont know why, hes a very very funny guy, and seems pretty nice, and can kinda play footy, so yeah i dont know why, ive tried to like him, but i cant, but hey as long as he can play footy thats the main thing, i guess hes just one of these people i dont really like for no reason as all, if that makes sense.

Sockeye Salmon
02-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Kelvin Templeton, Doug Hawkins and Chris Grant were my favourites, mmm most disliked wont say disliked because i never knew them but footballing abillity.. Rawlings,Ian Salmon a trier but never was there as a footballer, and the most frustrating Mark West coulda been anything.

Pull your head in!

The Coon Dog
02-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Pull your head in!

Settle petal. ;)

bornadog
02-03-2008, 12:38 PM
(may have just given away who i am if people didnt already know)

Well who are you? SS wants to know:D

LostDoggy
25-03-2008, 02:29 PM
This is too hard! But my all time No. 1 is an easy decision!

1. Stephen Macpherson - it was "love at first sight" as a young 12 year old noticed a good looking teenaged boy who'd just come from Tassie. Followed his career and saw every single one of his 188 games he played and cheered him on for every 152 goals he kicked.

2. Steve Kolyniuk

3. Steve Kretiuk

Apologies to many more especially Chris Grant - but I did name my son after him so he should be honoured!

Dislikes:

1. Terry Wallace
2. Nathan Brown

Sedat
25-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Favourites - Royal, Templeton, Beasley
Least favourites - Kellett, Quill, Sir

LostDoggy
25-03-2008, 02:56 PM
With your 1,2 & 3 I'm surprised you son's not named STEVE!

Wasn't allowed!

LostDoggy
25-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Favourites - EJ, Sandilands, Libba

Non-favourites - any Bulldog player who went to another club you unworthy bloody Mongrels

Sorry about that

Sockeye Salmon
25-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Favourites - EJ, Sandilands, Libba

Non-favourites - any Bulldog player who went to another club you unworthy bloody Mongrels

Sorry about that

Sandilands went to Collingwood. 50c each way?

1eyedog
25-03-2008, 08:29 PM

1) Kelvin Templeton was the CHF star when I was a young kid and my favourite player by a long way, actaully no other player really mattered to me after Templeton, devastated when he went to the Demons but he was gone by that stage anyway.

2) Geoff Jennings (25) nuggety little rover he was everywhere over the radio one day and my Dad always liked him as well.

3) Chris Grant Footscray's best CHF since Templeton and an out and out star who should have a Brownlow medal on his mantle piece.

4) Ian 'Bluey' Hampshire, our old skool under-sized ruckman of the 70s.

DISLIKE

1) Daniel Hargrave? He was just not a VFL or AFL quality footballer.

2) Peter Street (sorry he really is a nice guy but...)

3) Jim Edmond, I dunno, great player but just didn't do it for me.

ledge
25-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Is Gary Dempsey in the hall of fame? I would be surprised if he wasnt, think he had the record for the most brownlow votes in a career and coming second or third. And as far as i know he was still ruck coaching only a couple of years ago, and dont forget the fire that nearly killed him as a child?
Has put a lot into the game.
Yes i have heard stories about his off field demeaners, but are they rumours and does it go against him being a hall of famer?
A dead set true champion who played in a lot of struggling years at the dogs.

Sockeye Salmon
25-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Is Gary Dempsey in the hall of fame? I would be surprised if he wasnt, think he had the record for the most brownlow votes in a career and coming second or third. And as far as i know he was still ruck coaching only a couple of years ago, and dont forget the fire that nearly killed him as a child?
Has put a lot into the game.
Yes i have heard stories about his off field demeaners, but are they rumours and does it go against him being a hall of famer?
A dead set true champion who played in a lot of struggling years at the dogs.

Absolutely Dempsey is a hall of famer.

What off-field (mis) demeaners? Other than leaving to go to North, Demps had a clean record. I've never heard a bad word said about him.

ledge
25-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Well like i said Sockeye rumours, cant go into it on here as maybe they werent true. But dirt as you know is made up just for the sake of people talking. Probably just opposition supporters who were jealous.

BulldogBelle
25-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Hates:
1 - Nathan Brown
2 - Terry Wallace
3 - Jordan McMahon

Hmmm, I can see a yellow and black pattern there. ;)

Desipura
26-03-2008, 09:43 AM
Like: Johnson

Foster top bloke who used to go out of his way to say hello to a young 12yo whenever I managed to get in the rooms before a game.

Wallis: I was fortunate enough to be in a muck around handball comp in the clubrooms after the players finished training.

Templeton: I knew what it felt like with Lockett at St Kilda kicking all those goals

Minson: Met him for the 1st time last yr at the Coll vs Gee prelim, a ripper bloke who spoke openly. Just like speaking to one of your mates.

Dislike: Groenewegen, never met him probably a top bloke. Just thought he was too slow and got a game cos of the Hawk

LostDoggy
26-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Sandilands went to Collingwood. 50c each way?

Not by choice