PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Hits by our players on the Opposition

BulldogBelle
28-10-2007, 05:20 PM
There have been some good bumps over the years that our players have been involved in - what are some of your favourites..

A few that come to mind –

• The most recent being the Gia on Kosi hit, caused a lot of controversy.

• Steve Wallis perfected a few – one on Brett Heady of the Eagles and also got a couple of Geelong players in his time.

Do you have any other Bulldog hits that have made an impact on you?

Twodogs
28-10-2007, 05:47 PM
1978 V Carlton Jezza had taken over as captain coach earlier in the season and taken to 9 straight wins. Carlton comes to Western Oval and are 5 or so goals up just before half time. Terry Wheeler split Jezza stright down the middle with a perfect shirtfront and sends him into the middle of next week. Percy Jones has to take over coaching Carlton and we win by 5 goals.

The Coon Dog
28-10-2007, 07:16 PM
At the MCG v North Melbourne & Mark Hunter shepherds Shaun Smith & absolutely smashes him into oblivion. Unfortunately it was quite severe as Shaun Smith nearly died in the rooms. He suffered a ruptured spleen.

The bump by Wallis on Heady is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUZe_CssU4U

Also remember Wallis getting Adrian Hickmott from Geelong at the WO.

dog town
28-10-2007, 07:21 PM
James Cook on Anthony Rock I think it was. Missed the 98 finals because of it. Very late arrival to a marking contest.

GVGjr
28-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Did Wallis lay Hickmont out one day?

LostDoggy
28-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Mark West laid a few 'nice' hits back in his day

Sockeye Salmon
29-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Stephen Powell on Paul Williams. The opening bounce of (I think) Powell's first game.

Bulldog Revolution
29-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Wallis delivered some great ones

I remember being boundary line one day at Waverley for a Dogs V Hawks (97-98) clash and Grant delivered a hit on Rayden Tallis in a forward pocket. Tallis had obviously been annoying our guys early and Grant just crunched him - you could just about hear every bone in his body crunch - it was like the biggest Chiro back crack you'd ever hear.

aker39
29-10-2007, 12:01 PM
At the MCG v North Melbourne & Mark Hunter shepherds Shaun Smith & absolutely smashes him into oblivion. Unfortunately it was quite severe as Shaun Smith nearly died in the rooms. He suffered a ruptured spleen.

That happened right in front of me. It was fair, but very hard.

I remember Shaun Smith missed a lot of footy due to the injury.

LostDoggy
29-10-2007, 01:40 PM
A more recent one was when Cooney laid a hard, but fair, bump on West Coast's Cox. Broke Cox's collar bone I believe. See, size doesn't matter.

GVGjr
29-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Atkins on Winmar in a final was a good one. He might have cracked a collar bone.

Twodogs
29-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Wallis delivered some great ones

I remember being boundary line one day at Waverley for a Dogs V Hawks (97-98) clash and Grant delivered a hit on Rayden Tallis in a forward pocket. Tallis had obviously been annoying our guys early and Grant just crunched him - you could just about hear every bone in his body crunch - it was like the biggest Chiro back crack you'd ever hear.

Gentleman that he is Chris Grant didnt take any nonsense without handing it back. I'm not talking about 'fair' hits or simple niggling but if anyone stepped over the line Turtle would hand it back with interest. The best I saw him do was deposit Martin Pyke over the fence at Optus during a practice match with a huge shoulder bump-might have been a bit of elbow in it as well. Then he had to be held back by teammates from jumping over the fence and giving him another one.

Sockeye Salmon
29-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Atkins on Winmar in a final was a good one. He might have cracked a collar bone.

Atkins got us back into the game in the final v Geelong in 94 (the Brownless after-the-siren game).

As soon as he got on he cleaned up Mark Bairstow with a beautifully timed elbow to the chin.

Rocket Science
29-10-2007, 04:17 PM
anyone recall Adam McPhee coming off second best after pocket battleship Matty Robbins absolutely buried him with a crisp hip n' shoulder at the Dome a couple of years back?

GVGjr
29-10-2007, 04:25 PM
anyone recall Adam McPhee coming off second best after pocket battleship Matty Robbins absolutely buried him with a crisp hip n' shoulder at the Dome a couple of years back?

Sure do, I had almost forgot about that one. Robbins collected someone else a couple of years back didn't he?

Rocket Science
29-10-2007, 04:50 PM
He's menaced a few opponents in the past...Aside from being generally hard at it, watching Robbo track down rebounding defenders from behind like a heat-seeking missile before unceremoniously acquainting them with the turf was a real feature of his game and a sight to behold.

W W Biscuit
29-10-2007, 08:46 PM
The one that I took greatest pleasure out of happened in 1985, vs Fitzroy at the Western Oval. It was a wet day, and we were playing like snails on Mogadon. You know that moment of a game when you know it has slipped away? The moment when a hitherto deeply surpressed, barbaric streak briefly swells to the surface, willing the boys to at least 'take a few out?' Come on, be honest! Well, that moment had arrived and, on cue, Dougy Hawkins grabbed a fumbling Dean Turner in the back pocket and slung him to the ground like a lifeless muppet. Turner went instantly green, and the game was held up whilst the cavalry charged to the assistance of the motionless lion. For some reason, I'd always hated Turner's guts - he was a bit cocky, and always played well against us. Delighted? I was pumped!! Of course, it was in the days before Duty of Care!

Twodogs
29-10-2007, 10:46 PM
It's funny but I cant ever remember Tits ever laying a classic hip and shoulder. Pretty much everything else from walking on opponents to flat out assault, including a few blokes who just fainted when he walked within an arms length, but no H&Ss.

Geez he was great.

LostDoggy
29-10-2007, 10:54 PM
You are obviously an Atkins fan ;)
Atkins hardly ever laid a bump or made a tackle.
It was Michael Frost but Atkins might have been on the other side.

GVGjr
29-10-2007, 10:56 PM
You are obviously an Atkins fan
Atkins hardly ever laid a bump or made a tackle.
It was Michael Frost but Atkins might have been on the other side.

Not really, I thought it was Atkins and Stanfield but you might be right.

LostDoggy
29-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Chris Grant on Rioli Poley (reinjury his collarbone) might have been the 2000 game I think.

bornadog
30-10-2007, 12:48 AM
Sure do, I had almost forgot about that one. Robbins collected someone else a couple of years back didn't he?

Yes laid out Fraser from Collingwood, knocked him out and was taken off in either the first quarter or second at the G

bornadog
30-10-2007, 12:51 AM
A couple of big hits come to mind _

Foster laying out Stoneham at Kardinia Park

Big Bad Rick Kennedy, - lots of hits and some real dirty ones like breaking jaws.

The Coon Dog
30-10-2007, 07:56 AM
A couple of big hits come to mind _

Foster laying out Stoneham at Kardinia Park

Big Bad Rick Kennedy, - lots of hits and some real dirty ones like breaking jaws.

Anyone recall the one he threw to break Michael Turner's jaw at Waverley? It only travelled 6 inches!

LostDoggy
30-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Not really, I thought it was Atkins and Stanfield but you might be right.

Standfield yes? It definitely wasn't Atkins that caused the damage.

LostDoggy
30-10-2007, 09:45 AM
I remember Kolyniuk breaking Viney's arm in a hip n shoulder at Whitten Oval and Melbourne supporters complaining about a 'sniper'.

Twodogs
30-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Who did Rohan Smith 'collect' at the start of a game by running straight through the centre square. Was it Paul Williams when he was still at Collingwood?

Sockeye Salmon
30-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Who did Rohan Smith 'collect' at the start of a game by running straight through the centre square. Was it Paul Williams when he was still at Collingwood?

That was Stephen Powell.

Twodogs
30-10-2007, 01:31 PM
That was Stephen Powell.

In his first game?

Did Bub get collected by another player then?

I remember some controversy about him and a big bump at the start of a game.

Palace03
30-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Robbo's hit on McPhee was great, McPhee had no idea where he was and it lifted our blokes for awhile.

If we are talking about not so legal hits then Hargrave's whack to Heath Black's jaw in 2003 was a nice one.

Rohan Smith took a big hit against Geelong? in 94. I remember him being in a fair bit of trouble.

The Coon Dog
30-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Was it Luke Penny that got Josh Fraser at the MCG? He'd just come off the interchange bench & Fraser had no idea he was there.

bornadog
30-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Was it Luke Penny that got Josh Fraser at the MCG? He'd just come off the interchange bench & Fraser had no idea he was there.

Definately Robbo, knocked him out. But I do remember another game where Fraser was running along down the wing and Penny came off the bench and nailed him. Every one saw it but Fraser.

soupman
05-11-2007, 11:46 AM

I loved that bump. Robbo was flying and just launched himself at McPhee from about 2m away. Just curled himself into a cannonball of muscle. Wouldn't have wanted to be mcPhee when that happened, Robbins' shoulders are bigger than my head.

Mantis
05-11-2007, 12:21 PM
I loved that bump. Robbo was flying and just launched himself at McPhee from about 2m away. Just curled himself into a cannonball of muscle. Wouldn't have wanted to be mcPhee when that happened, Robbins' shoulders are bigger than my head.

Didn't help him with his attempted hit on Jakovich.

always right
05-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Wallis in a final at the "G" when he lined Bews up with a hip and shoulder and broke Bew's collarbone.
Robbo's big hit on Hardwicke at the Dome. Hardwicke loved handing them out and was really upset with Robbo once he regained his senses. Must of hurt him:D
Another final at Waverley park when Standfield broke Winmar's collarbone. Still have it on tape.
Danny Southern's big hit on the big North Melbourne ruckman Alex Ischenko. Came off the square and hit him with a big hip and shoulder.
Laurie Sandilands charge on Max Richardson when we played Collingwood in a final at Waverley Park (now I'm going back). Almost killed the bloke.
I also remember Glenn Coleman in a game against Westcoast. it was late and we were getting thumped (what's new?) so Coleman decided to clean the bloke up from behind as the bloke marked the ball. Coleman whacked his head on the bloke's back and knocked himself out:o

bornadog
05-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Laurie Sandilands charge on Max Richardson when we played Collingwood in a final at Waverley Park (now I'm going back). Almost killed the bloke.

Yes I went to that final, 1974 wasn't it? First final since 1961.

Sockeye Salmon
05-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Yes I went to that final, 1974 wasn't it? First final since 1961.

Yep. We got smashed. Peter McKenna kicked a bucketload.

always right
05-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Yep. We got smashed. Peter McKenna kicked a bucketload.

I think I'me right in saying that a young Kelvin Templeton played in the seniors the previous week and kicked 6 but was dropped for the final. It was a dirty day. Apart from that Sandilands bump and some fisticuffs between Ray Huppatz and Phil Manassa, there wasn't much to cheer about.

Sockeye Salmon
05-11-2007, 05:22 PM
I think I'me right in saying that a young Kelvin Templeton played in the seniors the previous week and kicked 6 but was dropped for the final. It was a dirty day. Apart from that Sandilands bump and some fisticuffs between Ray Huppatz and Phil Manassa, there wasn't much to cheer about.

Templeton kicked 5 the week before but someone had to make way for the captain (who was our FF and had won our goalkicking the previous two years and was about to win it for the third time).