PDA

View Full Version : Fan forum?

always right
02-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Some of the posts on this board in recent times are disturbing. I've always assumed that the people on this board represent some of our most passionate supporters so when some start talking about walking away from the club or even switching codes, it rings alarm bells big time.

It made me wonder whether there would be some merit in the club throwing out the opportunity from time to time for small groups of supporters to be given access to the coach and/or coaching staff in a face to face forum where all the questions and concerns expressed here about player development, gameplans, future planning, etc could be addressed....in a constructive respectful manner.

Perhaps this is asking too much of our coaches who may not get too excited about spending their valuable time having to appease disgruntled supporters but maybe it would be time well spent if it kept those whose commitment to the club is starting to waver ever so slightly. Most of the other clubs would never even contemplate this but perhaps that's our point of difference....a willingness to engage with fans up front and personal.

How the fans are selected I haven't really thought about. The club can decide this and perhaps even charge something for the privelege. I for one would happily spend a couple of hundred dollars on a "meet the coach session". What an amazing opportunity. At thend of it all Macca might have some new disciples happy to spread some positive messages about the direction of the club.

Or am I simply kidding myself?

azabob
02-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Didn't The Coon Dog had this relationship with Rodney Eade? and then from that so did other posters.

Greystache
02-06-2014, 02:09 PM
This happens at most clubs, the senior coach or a member of the football department will feed info out to a few active posters to fight fires for them online. BMac needs to start doing this urgently.

Remi Moses
02-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Wouldn't be a bad idea. The problem is everyone's got a voice through social media .
Some of the stuff on here is very disturbing.
I mean a well spoken "Peter Rohde"! Really!!

LostDoggy
02-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Look I'm guilty of doing this yesterday and frankly I was almost clinically depressed by Q4. I can take a rebuild but watching the plastic club with their 10,000 pick 1st take on Hawthorn just got to me. It was also the thought, and I'm genuinely sickened by it, that the absolute Aholes at AFL House will do absolutely anything to ensure their experiment succeeds. I have faith in the club and I'm already a Macca believer. Would I chuck in $200 for a session with Macca? Sure. I'd rather chuck in $200 with 1000 likeminded members to get the AFL executive front and centre to listen to 26000 individual stories of love, pain, endurance, commitment, marriage, divorce, life and death that make up the stories of our club for 65 years in hope. If they kill the hope they kill clubs like ours. That's a travesty. That's killing the Australian story. It's bullying the little battler. It's a sickening disgrace and we shouldn't stand for it.

It's been interesting to watch the political response to the budget. Not making any political statements either way but kids are starting to get active again for the first time in 15 years. I'm wondering of we don't need to be the same. We sit in our couches and yell "go Peter" from our armchairs. Maybe its time for revolution. Maybe someone rings Irene to arrange a sit in at afl house. Maybe 30000 of us should start reacting to this *%##} more rigorously.

I'm not sure Macca can help with the above. Maybe Peter can...

Bulldog Joe
02-06-2014, 03:05 PM
There are a few events that McCartney attends and speaks to members. Mid May he was at the Maha Lunch and spoke to those present.
There is generally another function about August.

He also speaks to Coterie Groups on occasions.

always right
02-06-2014, 03:07 PM
There are a few events that McCartney attends and speaks to members. Mid May he was at the Maha Lunch and spoke to those present.
There is generally another function about August.

He also speaks to Coterie Groups on occasions.

I'm thinking more of a smaller group forum....much in the vein that Eade apparently used to conduct.