PDA

View Full Version : Josh Bootsma Sacked

Happy Days
03-06-2014, 03:51 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-set-to-sack-maligned-defender-josh-bootsma-over-inappropriate-behaviour-on-social-media/story-fni5f5nx-1226941559031

HAHAHAHAHA

Honestly Carlton were probably looking for any excuse.

Greystache
03-06-2014, 03:54 PM
Quite the fall for Bootsma. The was an instant crowd favourite when he was first drafted.

bulldogtragic
03-06-2014, 03:55 PM
What does Elliott think?? That's what we all want to know...

Remi Moses
03-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Wonder if Marc Murphy would have been sacked?

LostDoggy
03-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Unfair dismissal?

bulldogtragic
03-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Unfair dismissal?

I'd guess he's out of The FW Commission's jurisdiction assuming he's paid a decent wage $130k plus, that's before thinking anything else about it.

LostDoggy
03-06-2014, 08:59 PM
You can earn over 130k if you are covered by an award.

jeemak
03-06-2014, 09:07 PM
Unfair dismissal?

I have a feeling from reading between the lines his back story is one in which he may have had some difficulties in keeping images of his Anton Enus off social media.

When the Players Association, the Club and the AFL get consensus there's a fair chance it's water tight.

LostDoggy
03-06-2014, 09:18 PM
I have a feeling from reading between the lines his back story is one in which he may have had some difficulties in keeping images of his Anton Enus off social media.

When the Players Association, the Club and the AFL get consensus there's a fair chance it's water tight.

:D I'd imagine it would be....still.

bulldogtragic
03-06-2014, 09:19 PM
You can earn over 130k if you are covered by an award.

Judging by a decision last week, I'm not sure what award he is going to claim coverage under... Successfully anyway...

LostDoggy
03-06-2014, 09:27 PM
Judging by a decision last week, I'm not sure what award he is going to claim coverage under... Successfully anyway...

I think they are under an eba? Sounds like he's fried anyway. But always worth a crack.

bulldogtragic
03-06-2014, 09:38 PM
I think they are under an eba? Sounds like he's fried anyway. But always worth a crack.

If the union won't jump in 9 times out of 10 it's indicative of the likelihood of success. That said I a while back I jumped in to save my uncle's job when the TWU turned their back. But since as Bootsma photos when he has a crack, maybe he should just go away and think about why he's doing what he's doing. Don't want to go over the top, ex coppers crap... But... This stuff (if true) is how some types of sex crims start, exactly how they start. I'm not saying he is or will ever be, but left unchecked, un counselled, un helped, uneducated, I'd worry for him and others.

Ghost Dog
03-06-2014, 10:30 PM
"Malthouse has recycled more rubbish at Carlton than Visy!" -- Warren, The Age.

LostDoggy
03-06-2014, 11:05 PM
If the union won't jump in 9 times out of 10 it's indicative of the likelihood of success. That said I a while back I jumped in to save my uncle's job when the TWU turned their back. But since as Bootsma photos when he has a crack, maybe he should just go away and think about why he's doing what he's doing. Don't want to go over the top, ex coppers crap... But... This stuff (if true) is how some types of sex crims start, exactly how they start. I'm not saying he is or will ever be, but left unchecked, un counselled, un helped, uneducated, I'd worry for him and others.

Sounds like unfortunately there is a lot going around and (if true) he has no chance.

Every case has to be looked at separately and for what it's worth I just had a win on behalf of someone else with the TWU.

How did your Uncle end up?

bulldogtragic
03-06-2014, 11:26 PM
Sounds like unfortunately there is a lot going around and (if true) he has no chance.

Every case has to be looked at separately and for what it's worth I just had a win on behalf of someone else with the TWU.

How did your Uncle end up?

Going back a little for the main uncle I saved, and just helped another one last week... But in the old case I called the TWU who said he had no case... One pretty straight forward call from me to the manager... He got immediately reinstated, got a post closer to home and they found a $5,000 underpayment in his wages. Then he cut up his union card he had for 15 or so years.

I wish I could say I could say everyone that comes for help wins, but the commission is a funny place sometimes the good guys win, sometimes they lose, and sometimes people shop my advice (one is arguing constructive dismissal against my advice.... It's not going to end well...) but most genuine people don't want the conflict that comes with it. But generally people don't talk to me for 2 years, but then send me an email or call out of the blue for free advice. But I'm a sucker, either employer or employee, I hate bullies and injustice and I think people know that a little too well...

Do I read it right, you jumped in for the TWU or the TWU dropped it's member too?

LostDoggy
03-06-2014, 11:47 PM
Going back a little for the main uncle I saved, and just helped another one last week... But in the old case I called the TWU who said he had no case... One pretty straight forward call from me to the manager... He got immediately reinstated, got a post closer to home and they found a $5,000 underpayment in his wages. Then he cut up his union card he had for 15 or so years.

I wish I could say I could say everyone that comes for help wins, but the commission is a funny place sometimes the good guys win, sometimes they lose, and sometimes people shop my advice (one is arguing constructive dismissal against my advice.... It's not going to end well...) but most genuine people don't want the conflict that comes with it. But generally people don't talk to me for 2 years, but then send me an email or call out of the blue for free advice. But I'm a sucker, either employer or employee, I hate bullies and injustice and I think people know that a little too well...

Do I read it right, you jumped in for the TWU or the TWU dropped it's member too?

Yea I hear you on a lot of that, you sound like a good guy mate and your right sometimes a level headed call can do wonders but yours takes the cake, well done!

Mine was a Non-Member issue but the TWU came to the party eventually so I can only give them a thumbs up. The guy just had no idea what his rights were so I just worked with them and we got a win. That was the first time working with them, I'm with another union altogether.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2014, 12:09 AM
Yea I hear you on a lot of that, you sound like a good guy mate and your right sometimes a level headed call can do wonders but yours takes the cake, well done!

Mine was a Non-Member issue but the TWU came to the party eventually so I can only give them a thumbs up. The guy just had no idea what his rights were so I just worked with them and we got a win. That was the first time working with them, I'm with another union altogether.

I was obviously union as are 99.6% of of the force. There it was a tough call to about working in bringing in lapsed members, the unions position is I believe (* note believe :) ) that lapsed members need to pay all back dues from the gap. It's a really tough issue to deal with and I knew a few guys who just couldn't pay the times worth. Sounds like the TWU did the the right thing, you can only hope the member repays any protection or assistance afforded to them.

As for my direct contact, that's probably my high watermark. I know one of us really didn't like me by the end, but if facts and truth are on your side you can push a little harder as you know. Last week someone lost the unloseable at the commission, so I'm pretty philosophical about things, for me I'm interested in the people, so you've just gotta hope you can help people with a sense of justice, and the emotional side of conflict and attempts at resolution and giving them a sense of control if only for long enough to bridge them to the next job, or trying to get employers to understand their businesses are much more than a claim and helping them think about using a bad experience as a sign prevention might be something to think about. I actually think in all the IR argy bargy all round, helping people emotionally is where the focus should be - in Bootsma's case a fair bit of psychological assistance on a lot of issues is needed for him to not spiral from a voyeur to worse. Some may say it's just silliness, but I arrested an ex-police officer who through this weirdness hit drugs and would go from op shop to op shop masturbating in front of granny volunteers, and he said this with drugs re-wired his brain and couldn't stop, and he couldn't, he did it again on bail and did serious time. Not saying this is Bootsma, only saying my life experiences are setting an alarm off in my head about such alleged behaviour.

LostDoggy
04-06-2014, 01:00 AM
We'll from the way you speak I know which side I would want you on, and let's hope Bootsma get's on with life and if he does need help I hope he gets it and the AFL remembers they have a Duty of Care towards him.

Your right on the Gap Fill, most Unions have that point of view towards non members. But sometimes it's not that straight forward, depending on the Union and the strength of the case still mightn't help.

Let's just say the guy got a little slap for his past sins. :D

Twodogs
04-06-2014, 09:31 AM
I was obviously union as are 99.6% of of the force. There it was a tough call to about working in bringing in lapsed members, the unions position is I believe (* note believe :) ) that lapsed members need to pay all back dues from the gap. It's a really tough issue to deal with and I knew a few guys who just couldn't pay the times worth. Sounds like the TWU did the the right thing, you can only hope the member repays any protection or assistance afforded to them.

As for my direct contact, that's probably my high watermark. I know one of us really didn't like me by the end, but if facts and truth are on your side you can push a little harder as you know. Last week someone lost the unloseable at the commission, so I'm pretty philosophical about things, for me I'm interested in the people, so you've just gotta hope you can help people with a sense of justice, and the emotional side of conflict and attempts at resolution and giving them a sense of control if only for long enough to bridge them to the next job, or trying to get employers to understand their businesses are much more than a claim and helping them think about using a bad experience as a sign prevention might be something to think about. I actually think in all the IR argy bargy all round, helping people emotionally is where the focus should be - in Bootsma's case a fair bit of psychological assistance on a lot of issues is needed for him to not spiral from a voyeur to worse. Some may say it's just silliness, but I arrested an ex-police officer who through this weirdness hit drugs and would go from op shop to op shop masturbating in front of granny volunteers, and he said this with drugs re-wired his brain and couldn't stop, and he couldn't, he did it again on bail and did serious time. Not saying this is Bootsma, only saying my life experiences are setting an alarm off in my head about such alleged behaviour.

I've heard about this guy.

westdog54
04-06-2014, 10:29 AM
I was obviously union as are 99.6% of of the force. There it was a tough call to about working in bringing in lapsed members, the unions position is I believe (* note believe :) ) that lapsed members need to pay all back dues from the gap.

Correct. Even then there is a fair bit of debate as to whether this should even happen.

There was a particularly high profile one not long after you left the job. You won't need 3 guesses as to so if was.

bornadog
04-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Isn't Bootsma's sacking a case of Gen Y, not thinking they have done anything wrong?

LostDoggy
04-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Isn't Bootsma's sacking a case of Gen Y, not thinking they have done anything wrong?

It goes on all the time with the young crowd!

The amount of people sacked because of Facebook, twitter etc is incredible that's why they are banned in my house...

bulldogtragic
04-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Correct. Even then there is a fair bit of debate as to whether this should even happen.

There was a particularly high profile one not long after you left the job. You won't need 3 guesses as to so if was.

Worse yet, I got a good citation (If I say so myself) from that person and when applying for promotion I think using that persons name counted against me despite the content of the citation. That whole saga is a stain on our history, and being over opinionated the way Jones was treated was shameful. But Greg Davies has done a great job and I've got nothing but respect for Ron (and Charlie). For a generation those two guys literally took all the murderers off the streets, amazing men.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2014, 12:33 PM
I've heard about this guy.

Sad case he was, he just couldn't stop it and I just hope he didn't move into the next phase of sexual offender. There was nothing amusing about it... Except when we arrested him in the act just before climax the old op shop ladies (well over 70 years old) were standing there laughing at him saying to him 'is that all you've got?'

Maybe not amusing, but it wasn't the reaction I expected when the job came through.

Happy Days
04-06-2014, 01:16 PM

Please, he's just a dickhead regardless of generation.

jeemak
04-06-2014, 01:27 PM

Mr Kelly didn't think he did anything wrong either, don't suppose the Baby Boomers would be too happy to claim him.

Happy Days
04-06-2014, 01:32 PM
Mr Kelly didn't think he did anything wrong either, don't suppose the Baby Boomers would be too happy to claim him.

I seriously can't cop all of this hate for Gen Y because there happen to be some idiots under 30.

Every generation thinks the generation under them are lazy! It's not a unique case with Gen Y just because we have smartphones and GTA V. I heard some of the worst banter about Tinder the other night at a bar from some (at least) 35 year old dudes, is that a case of Gen X narcissism?

jeemak
04-06-2014, 01:35 PM
I seriously can't cop all of this hate for Gen Y because there happen to be some idiots under 30.

Every generation thinks the generation under them are lazy! It's not a unique case with Gen Y just because we have smartphones and GTA V. I heard some of the worst banter about Tinder the other night at a bar from some (at least) 35 year old dudes, is that a case of Gen X narcissism?

It helps the Herald Sun sell though, gotta give the hate that.

I try and ignore such generalisations all the same.

bornadog
04-06-2014, 02:12 PM

i hit a sore spot there - :D sorry.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2014, 03:40 PM

Exactly it's just technology that changes anything. If his brain is defunct, and twitter didn't exist, he would be like an old school pervert and flash at kids walking down the street. I see no distinction, twitter as good as can be sometimes, is a smokescreen for too many people and to say and do things they wouldn't do if not for it. But that's another discussion.

Greystache
04-06-2014, 03:49 PM
The HS reporting that last year he told Carlton officials on game day that he had gastro and couldn't play against Gold Coast. He said he was too sick to even leave the hotel and watch the team play. Then after they left he went to the beach with his girlfriend and then posted photos of it on Instagram while the game was in progress.

There's something seriously wrong with this guy.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2014, 03:51 PM
The HS reporting that last year he told Carlton officials on game day that he had gastro and couldn't play against Gold Coast. He said he was too sick to even leave the hotel and watch the team play. Then after they left he went to the beach with his girlfriend and then posted photos of it on Instagram while the game was in progress.

Surely this idiocy came up in recruitment interviews. First Angwin now this...?

bornadog
04-06-2014, 03:57 PM

Obviously has better things to do.

Greystache
04-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Surely this idiocy came up in recruitment interviews. First Angwin now this...?

I thought everyone knew

http://infinarium.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Robert-Downey-Jr.-Tropic-Thunder-You-Never-Go-Full-Retard-Meme.jpg

bulldogtragic
04-06-2014, 05:07 PM
I know people type laugh out loud. But that did, thanks Ricky! :)

LostDoggy
04-06-2014, 05:14 PM
I thought everyone knew

http://infinarium.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Robert-Downey-Jr.-Tropic-Thunder-You-Never-Go-Full-Retard-Meme.jpg

"Check it out. Dustin Hoffman, 'Rain Man,' look retarded, act retarded, not retarded. Counted toothpicks, cheated cards. Autistic, sho'. Not retarded. You know Tom Hanks, 'Forrest Gump.' Slow, yes. Retarded, maybe. Braces on his legs. But he charmed the pants off Nixon and won a ping-pong competition. That ain't retarded. Peter Sellers, "Being There." Infantile, yes. Retarded, no. You went full retard, man. Never go full retard. You don't buy that? Ask Sean Penn, 2001, "I Am Sam." Remember? Went full retard, went home empty handed..."