PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 13 vs Collingwood

Eastdog
06-06-2014, 11:47 AM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 13 game against Collingwood at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2014, 10:45 PM
I'm not guessing anymore, I'm wrong every week. And not a little wrong, very wrong. But fire away!

Mantis
07-06-2014, 10:51 PM
Out: Howard, Tutt... For a start

bulldogtragic
07-06-2014, 10:54 PM

Howard is going to be a 100 game player. We've got another 80 of his games to look forward to.

GVGjr
07-06-2014, 11:14 PM
I will add some reasons later but at the moment it's

In JJ, Hunter and Boyd
Out Howard, Stevens and Bonts

I'd consider 3 other players in the mix as well

Nuggety Back Pocket
07-06-2014, 11:24 PM

They should not have been selected tonight. Only one change from last week was hard to fathom after kicking just 6 goals in perfect conditions. Tonight's performance shows where we are at.

SlimPickens
07-06-2014, 11:27 PM
In Boyd, JJ, Jones, Campbell

Out Howard, Williams, Tutt, Stevens

Just shuffling the deck chairs at the moment unfortunately. Our VFL form is solid and should
be rewarded

azabob
07-06-2014, 11:30 PM
In Boyd, JJ, Jones, Campbell

Out Howard, Williams, Tutt, Stevens

Just shuffling the deck chairs at the moment unfortunately. Our VFL form is solid and should
be rewarded

Not Redpath ahead of Campbell?

SlimPickens
07-06-2014, 11:51 PM
Not Redpath ahead of Campbell?

He isn't on the senior list.

GVGjr
07-06-2014, 11:53 PM
If they don't make call this week it's probably unlikely

azabob
07-06-2014, 11:59 PM

Would you elevate him?

KT31
08-06-2014, 12:00 AM

Good start.

Mofra
08-06-2014, 12:02 AM
Tutt? He can at least run.
Howard - Bonti doesn't look ready yet and needs time - Higgins looks injured - Williams looks timid at times and I'm not sure he is hungry enough for AFL anymore - Boyd is due back in, but can Wallis and Boyd play in the same side?

Remi Moses
08-06-2014, 12:57 AM
I thought Tutt was reasonable
In Boyd Hunter Redpath ( elevate for Christ sake)Campbell JJ
Out- Minson ( beaten up by a third stringer) Williams ( not the answer) Stevens ( another one pacer)Howard ( even prefer John Howard, and that's saying something Higgins ( I'd say his injured)

SlimPickens
08-06-2014, 01:04 AM
Would you elevate him?

Yes I would.

The bulldog tragician
08-06-2014, 01:04 AM
I thought Tutt was reasonable
In Boyd Hunter Redpath ( elevate for Christ sake)Campbell JJ
Out- Minson ( beaten up by a third stringer) Williams ( not the answer) Stevens ( another one pacer)Howard ( even prefer John Howard, and that's saying something Higgins ( I'd say his injured)

You've at least raised my first smile since 1/4 time Remi.

1eyedog
08-06-2014, 01:05 AM

In JJ, Hunter and Boyd

Surely some semblance of a forward line player has to come in?

GVGjr
08-06-2014, 01:09 AM
Surely some semblance of a forward line player has to come in?

It was a rushed effort but I did say there was 3 others I would consider. Jones, Stringer and Redpath were the 3.
I want to stick with Williams so I struggle to know who else to drop.

bornadog
08-06-2014, 01:10 AM
It was a rushed effort but I did say there was 3 others I would consider. Jones, Stringer and Redpath were the 3.
I want to stick with Williams so I struggle to know who else to drop.
I would drop Tutt as well.

GVGjr
08-06-2014, 01:22 AM
I thought Grant was disappointing tonight. Just didn't seem to be in the game at all.
I wanted him in 2 weeks back but I got it wrong.

GVGjr
08-06-2014, 01:23 AM
I would drop Tutt as well.

I don't want to make wholesale changes but Tutt is close to being dropped. He has that one skill with his run that we badly need a bit more of.

G-Mo77
08-06-2014, 01:24 AM
I thought Grant was disappointing tonight. Just didn't seem to be in the game at all.
I wanted him in 2 weeks back but I got it wrong.

Hard to help that dysfunctional forward line in your first game. He needs a bigger body around him so does Crameri. One of Jones or Redpath has to come in.

bornadog
08-06-2014, 01:25 AM
I don't want to make wholesale changes but Tutt is close to being dropped. He has that one skill with his run that we badly need a bit more of.

He doesn't seem to have any football smarts. There was a passage of play in front of me in the third quarter where Williams led out but he chose to just slam the ball into the 50 and of course Brisbane just took it away. He really had a shocker tonight.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-06-2014, 01:29 AM
Take your pick in terms of omissions. Williams, Howard, Tutt, Stevens, Minson. (Bonti - but i'd rather we play him).

GVGjr
08-06-2014, 01:35 AM
Hard to help that dysfunctional forward line in your first game. He needs a bigger body around him so does Crameri. One of Jones or Redpath has to come in.

That wasn't what disappointed me about his game. Minimal pressure acts and some very lazy leading. He has to play with a higher energy level regardless of what is going on or not going on around him.

Greystache
08-06-2014, 01:40 AM
In- Boyd

Out- Tutt

I've given up trying to select teams that I think will make us better, i think we'll just bring in another mature inside mid with poor skills and leave out some run.

Go_Dogs
08-06-2014, 09:39 AM
Outs - Howard, Stevens and Williams - (assuming Higgins is right)

Ins - Redpath, JJ, Campbell - if Higgins is injured, bring in Honeychurch for his taste.

My rationale is, our forward line needs some targets, Redpath has had a good month of football and should be given an opportunity for at least 4-5 weeks to show what he's got. Chances are he'll offer more than Howard.

JJ is required for his run and taking the game on - he hasn't had a great year, but he has the talent and we should persist with him for a block of games. I like Stevens, but he needs to slim down a bit and improve his speed, work on his disposal and decision making.

Campbell for Williams, again Campbell hasn't had a great year, but we simply need to persist with him - he's our best chance to take a contested mark and split a pack up forward. He can offer some more relief in the ruck.

I hope Higgins is ok, but if not, I'd bring in Honeychurch. He needs an opportunity to play some AFL and whilst it might not be the best week to bring him in, I'd reward him and see how he goes. If we do, I'd move Griff to half back to replace Higgins, have Dahl and Hrovat spend more time up field.

always right
08-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Is it time to send a message and drop Minson for Campbell? You don't realise how hard it is for me to suggest this.

westbulldog
08-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Out : Howard Wallis Stevens
In : Boyd 1 of Campbell/Redpath/Jones JJ

G-Mo77
08-06-2014, 10:26 AM
Is it time to send a message and drop Minson for Campbell? You don't realise how hard it is for me to suggest this.

I agree. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago we've got to find ways to get Campbell into the team as a Ruckman not a Forward/Ruck. Now is the time.

kruder
08-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Outs - Howard, Stevens and Williams - (assuming Higgins is right)

Ins - Redpath, JJ, Campbell - if Higgins is injured, bring in Honeychurch for his taste.

My rationale is, our forward line needs some targets, Redpath has had a good month of football and should be given an opportunity for at least 4-5 weeks to show what he's got. Chances are he'll offer more than Howard.

JJ is required for his run and taking the game on - he hasn't had a great year, but he has the talent and we should persist with him for a block of games. I like Stevens, but he needs to slim down a bit and improve his speed, work on his disposal and decision making.

Campbell for Williams, again Campbell hasn't had a great year, but we simply need to persist with him - he's our best chance to take a contested mark and split a pack up forward. He can offer some more relief in the ruck.

I hope Higgins is ok, but if not, I'd bring in Honeychurch. He needs an opportunity to play some AFL and whilst it might not be the best week to bring him in, I'd reward him and see how he goes. If we do, I'd move Griff to half back to replace Higgins, have Dahl and Hrovat spend more time up field.

I just don't see it with Honeychurch. He is just another good trier just makes our long position of inside mids even longer.. Another with average to poor skills

Bumper Bulldogs
08-06-2014, 10:42 AM

Absolutely - Will just hasn't looked like it for months. I would almost say he has an injury. Anyway that a side on performance Campbell comes straight in as the No1 ruckman.

Outs:
Minson: needs to get that Hungry aggression back.
Howard: why do we think he will get to 100 games, No skills, no hard edge, no pace, but a ripper bloke
Stevens: pool drafting, slow, low skill, no brain

In:
Cambell: take the chance with both hands, you may not get another opportunity like this.
JJ: to play off 1/2 back and move Higgins into the forward 50
Boyd: we will need him against the pies

I would make Jones earn it and give Grant/Williams another week
tell Tut & Hrovat that that the week after we will only be playing one of them

If Higgins is injured - I would give Honeychurch a go.

bornadog
08-06-2014, 11:04 AM

Minson needs a rest or he plays less time in the Ruck. He can't do it all himself.

azabob
08-06-2014, 02:32 PM
IN

Redpath, Johannisen, Campbell, Hunter

OUT

Williams, Minson, Howard, Stevens,

We need run and creativity through the midfield more than anything to get the ball in quickly to our forwards, who then can create a contest and bring the ball to ground and bring our smart players into play such as Grant, Hunter, Hrovat & Gia.

I have selected Redpath ahead of Jones as I think we need a player who is able to lead from the square and give options and a target to kick to. I know Redpath hasn't played at this level before, but why not see what he has got. He should have played against Brisbane last night.

Johannisen back in allows Wood and Higgins to move into the midfield and use their pace (Wood) and creativity and ball use (Higgins) to help speed up the ball move and take the game on. Johannisen isn't the greatest option one on one or ball user, but we need run and carry.

Hunter comes back in, to allow Dahlhaus to spend 90% game time in the midfield to help with run, creativity and carry, with Hrovat and Hunter rotating through when needed.

I have selected Campbell ahead of Cordy basically due to Campbells size and strength. Although I do worry about Campbell's ability to run games out - This is the unknown factor for me.

I don't think the above changes will win us the game, but I do believe they will help our biggest problem which is creativity, foot speed, moving the ball quickly by hand and by foot.

I considered bringing in Stringer instead of Bontimpelli, but I read that Stringer played through the midfield in the VFL and I think he should continue this role in the VFL to help continue to build his fitness and awareness in traffic.

Remi Moses
08-06-2014, 02:45 PM
Good changes^^ Give a young bloke some responsibility i.e Campbell or even Cordy

LostDoggy
08-06-2014, 03:38 PM
So apparently Clay Smith isn't on the LTI list as yet, although being listed as 7-9 weeks out. Pearce is still on there (as at before this weekend), yet played VFL yesterday. Jong was his replacement yes? Therefore it doesn't matter how many goals or well Redpath plays at the present time. Unless Clay is put on the LTI list then Redpath doesn't get upgraded as far as I understand the rules.

G-Mo77
08-06-2014, 03:41 PM
So apparently Clay Smith isn't on the LTI list as yet, although being listed as 7-9 weeks out. Pearce is still on there (as at before this weekend), yet played VFL yesterday. Jong was his replacement yes? Therefore it doesn't matter how many goals or well Redpath plays at the present time. Unless Clay is put on the LTI list then Redpath doesn't get upgraded as far as I understand the rules.

There is Dixon as well. I'm pretty sure we can upgrade in the 2nd half of the season anyway.

azabob
08-06-2014, 03:52 PM
M.R.M, Dickson is on the long term injury list.

Pearce is off it and Jong is back as a rookie.

LostDoggy
08-06-2014, 03:55 PM
10.17 Nominated Rookies – Mid Season
(a) Clubs may nominate Rookies
(i) A Club may nominate one Player from its Rookie List as being available for selection by the Club for Home and Away and Finals Series Matches at any time after the conclusion of Round 11 before 2.00pm on the Tuesday after the last round of Home and Away Matches by lodging with the AFL the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 36.
(ii) This right of a Club to nominate a Rookie Player under this Rule is subject to the Club demonstrating to the satisfaction of the Investigations Manager that it can accommodate within its Total Player Payments Football Payments which must be paid to the Rookie Player as prescribed in Rule 10.17(b).
(b) Payments and Total Player Payments
(i) A Rookie Player nominated by a Club under this Rule 10.17 must be paid pro-rata no less than the amounts payable to a 1st year, third round draft choice selection for the period of time they are nominated.
(ii) Any amount paid to a Rookie Player nominated under this Rule in excess of the base payment payable to a 1st year, third round draft choice selection shall be included in the Club’s Total Player Payments.

http://old.aflpa.com.au/images/uploads/AFL_Rules_-_October_2013_CURRENT.pdf

LostDoggy
08-06-2014, 03:56 PM
M.R.M, Dickson is on the long term injury list.

Pearce is off it and Jong is back as a rookie.

It's amazing, as you'd think the AFL injury list would be the most up to date, yet Dickson isn't listed as *

http://www.afl.com.au/news/injury-news/injury-list

F'scary
08-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Out:

Tutt - sadly, concrete hands, lack of vision and poor decision making are career killers.
Minson - clumsy, disaster prone oaf who couldn't hold a mark (including on his chest) in an ozkick session.
Stevens - before he puts one of his team mates in hospital.
Howard - he is as much value as going solar when the government subsidies have been pulled. All that he has left to look forward to is receiving a few of Stevens' handballs in the VFL.
Grant - hope its freezing, muddy and raining in your next match in the VFL.
Williams - here's a tip for your next contract (which hopefully won't be with us): move around a little when on the field.
McCartney - for not being able to articulate a coherent game plan in 2.5 years.

In: Libba Snr as coach
Players: I don't know.

The Underdog
08-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Out:

Tutt - sadly, concrete hands, lack of vision and poor decision making are career killers.
Minson - clumsy, disaster prone oaf who couldn't hold a mark (including on his chest) in an ozkick session.
Stevens - before he puts one of his team mates in hospital.
Howard - he is as much value as going solar when the government subsidies have been pulled. All that he has left to look forward to is receiving a few of Stevens' handballs in the VFL.
Grant - hope its freezing, muddy and raining in your next match in the VFL.
Williams - here's a tip for your next contract (which hopefully won't be with us): move around a little when on the field.
McCartney - for not being able to articulate a coherent game plan in 2.5 years.

In: Libba Snr as coach
Players: I don't know.

Jesus, I love Libba, but if we hired him as coach I'd probably walk away from the club there and then.

F'scary
08-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Jesus, I love Libba, but if we hired him as coach I'd probably walk away from the club there and then.

Interesting - how come?

meenies
08-06-2014, 05:24 PM
In: Redpath, Jong, Cordy
What have we got to lose putting a few tall forwards in. All deserve rewards for VFL. Isn't that what Macca says?
Out: Williams, Higgs (hope not) otherwise Cooney, Bonti
When Cooney is in centre we ALWAYS lose clearance - not hungry anymore for hard stuff
Bonti as needs more time
Left Tutt, Stevens in because even though not greatest in skills, they are still more hungry than half the others.
I want Howard to stay in and should be given a chance to take over Murphy's role. That's what we have been training him for (as well as Higgs). We need to seriously back him in and see what he can do. And before I get laughed at too much, look at Murphy's defensive stats - always one of the lowest in tackles, defensive pressures, contested marks. That's his role so don't shoot Howard for the same. Really only want one not two with those stats.

Eastdog
08-06-2014, 05:29 PM

In JJ, Hunter and Boyd

Thought Bonts was pretty good last night. I would keep him in the side for another week. Williams I think is due for a spell. Minson could also drop out. I really think Redpath should get a go and bring Campbell in.

The Underdog
08-06-2014, 05:52 PM
Interesting - how come?

Not sure if serious, in either initial suggestion or question, but Libba has been out of the AFL coaching system for 5 years and his stint then ended badly with him burning bridges on the way (not to mention some of the spats he has had within our club). He would in no way be the best candidate if the role was to become available and to institute a former club legend for romance's sake is folly of the highest order.

Remi Moses
08-06-2014, 06:04 PM
He has to mean Tom? Playing Coach?
Blimey it's getting very Big footy on here.

LostDoggy
08-06-2014, 06:40 PM
In: Boyd, Hunter, Jones
Out: Stevens, Howard, Williams,

I'm inclined to keep Bonts in the side, agree he is still raw, but this will fast track his development which good god we need.
And surprised with the amount of vitriol directed to Tutt, he has the one thing we are a lacking most other than a key forward which is some outside run.

Scorlibo
08-06-2014, 07:24 PM
Out: Stevens, Williams, Howard.
In: Hunter, Cordy, Stringer.

For mine Stevens and Tutt are both what I would describe as 'play changers'. When they get the ball, it's nearly always the case that they will disrupt the play that's in motion - for better or for worse. There's no predictability there for teammates to feed off, and I don't think they can both play in the same team. Stevens goes.

Williams didn't play terribly, I absolutely loved the tap and shepherd to create the first goal of the game, but he just isn't providing the physicality that we need to bust open some spaces in the forward fifty.

I'm glad Howard was given a second game, there was nothing so awful in his first to suggest breaking that policy, but on his performance he has to be dropped.

Hunter put in a good performance for Footscray and is one of the few players on our list who has genuine forward smarts.

It sounds as though Ayce played the perfect second ruck role at Footscray, he comes in to help Big Will and provide a presence up forward.

Stringer comes back into the side after playing well for Footscray, let's see how this Grant-Crameri-Stringer forward structure operates.

If Boyd is right to go, then he comes in instead of Stringer.

Pickenitup
08-06-2014, 08:10 PM
In Boyd Jones JJ Campbell Talia
Out Howard(Never To return)Wlliams (sorry Tom you are not a forward)Stevens Bonti(Not Ready yet)Higgins(inj)
Think Talia has to play Pies have a big forward line Cloke White Witts and we must get games into him.
JJ To provide much needed run Gia to play full game Tutt to be sub.Campbell Must play to give Will a Chop out and at least TC gives us something to kick to.
A forward line of Grant Crameri Campbell Jones will make us more dangerous.

F'scary
08-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Not sure if serious, in either initial suggestion or question, but Libba has been out of the AFL coaching system for 5 years and his stint then ended badly with him burning bridges on the way (not to mention some of the spats he has had within our club). He would in no way be the best candidate if the role was to become available and to institute a former club legend for romance's sake is folly of the highest order.

These are desperate times.

BulldogBelle
08-06-2014, 11:03 PM
Changes are needed, not just one, but multiple. To lose games we should win or to lack competitiveness and the consequences being only one or maybe two changes to the lineup sends a poor message to the playing group and supporters alike. For many seasons I've thought that the achillies heel of this football club has been the match committee's ability to put together a compedative team. Will Minson is in terrible form, but we play one ruckman. Too many players of the same mold. Rant over.....
Outs: Howard, Tutt, Williams, Stevens
In: Cordy, Redpath, Jones, JJ

H

boydogs
08-06-2014, 11:35 PM
Out: Bontempelli, Wallis, Stevens, Howard
In: Honeychurch, Boyd, Johannisen, Stringer

bornadog
09-06-2014, 12:15 AM
Out: Bontempelli, Wallis, Stevens, Howard
In: Honeychurch, Boyd, Johannisen, Stringer

Why would you drop Wallis, he was one of our better players on the night.

GVGjr
09-06-2014, 12:26 AM

I'm guessing for gogriff but maybe Boyd and Wallis in the same side is overkill and that might be the reason

Rocco Jones
09-06-2014, 12:26 AM
Out- Howard, Williams, Stevens
In- JJ, Cordy, Boyd

Can't believe I am advocating Cordy getting a game.

bornadog
09-06-2014, 12:41 AM
I don't believe Williams will be dropped. Kicked two goals and did some good things in assisting a couple of other goals.

KT31
09-06-2014, 12:59 AM
Boyd, Cordy and possibly Campbell need to come in for my mind.
Not even going to guess who gets dropped as the match committee seems to differ so much from any of my thoughts.

boydogs
09-06-2014, 11:28 AM

When Brisbane got on top Taylor, Green and Zorko were literally running rings around us. We don't need an inside tagger like Wallis in the side, we need more speed

KT31
09-06-2014, 01:06 PM
When Brisbane got on top Taylor, Green and Zorko were literally running rings around us. We don't need an inside tagger like Wallis in the side, we need more speed

Would it the be better then to keep Mitch in and leave out Boyd ?

Happy Days
09-06-2014, 01:12 PM

Where is it coming from? Tutt is terrible and JJ has looked just as bad in the firsts this year too. Picken was tagging Zorko and got smashed, and if we're getting beaten by Josh Green and a first year player then there's bigger problem then a lack of leg speed. Maybe the reason they looked so quick is because we were once again too focused on the first possession and not on the spread, as well as constantly turning the ball over by making terrible decisions.

Well not maybe, that was the reason. Nearly every stoppage looked like a human representation of the planet Saturn; a ball of bulldogs running head first into each other surrounded by a ring of Lions, sweating the turnover that they knew would come.

GVGjr
09-06-2014, 01:36 PM

Boyds been in very good form, how does it help by leaving him out?

azabob
09-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Where is it coming from? Tutt is terrible and JJ has looked just as bad in the firsts this year too. Picken was tagging Zorko and got smashed, and if we're getting beaten by Josh Green and a first year player then there's bigger problem then a lack of leg speed. Maybe the reason they looked so quick is because we were once again too focused on the first possession and not on the spread, as well as constantly turning the ball over by making terrible decisions.

Well not maybe, that was the reason. Nearly every stoppage looked like a human representation of the planet Saturn; a ball of bulldogs running head first into each other surrounded by a ring of Lions, sweating the turnover that they knew would come.

Nice observations, which I think are pretty much spot on.

Bulldog4life
09-06-2014, 02:40 PM

Personally I think Tutt has improved this year.

boydogs
09-06-2014, 04:28 PM

Boyd's faster

Where is it coming from? Tutt is terrible and JJ has looked just as bad in the firsts this year too.

Tutt has been OK & JJ has been disappointing. You can't just play without speed though, just like you can't say we don't have any good tall forwards so we'll just play 6 Dahlhauses.

Picken was tagging Zorko and got smashed, and if we're getting beaten by Josh Green and a first year player then there's bigger problem then a lack of leg speed. Maybe the reason they looked so quick is because we were once again too focused on the first possession and not on the spread, as well as constantly turning the ball over by making terrible decisions.

Picken wasn't opposed to Zorko all game, but he should have been. We have to stop stacking our best players into the backline to keep us in it, they are needed in other parts of the ground. Higgins, Picken, Murphy and Roughead could solve our problems further up the ground but are instead left to deal with delivery into the forward line from players with plenty of time and space.

Maybe Minson wouldn't be so lethargic if Roughead was rucking for even 20% of the game. Maybe the Brisbane forwards wouldn't get undefendable passes if Picken stopped Zorko from getting the ball in space. Maybe Gia wouldn't show the forward line up so much if Higgins was up there all game. Maybe we would be able to transition the ball from defense to the forward line and actually take a mark if Crameri wasn't forced to lead up past centre to present, and Murphy was doing it instead.

I'm bringing in Stringer & Johannisen to release Murphy & Higgins forward. Honeychurch is better than Bontempelli at going from contest to contest and preventing the opposition from getting the ball into space. Boyd is a better tagger and a better player than Wallis at this stage

lemmon
09-06-2014, 05:02 PM

Agree, he's definitely a better player but I still question whether he's cut out for this level. For the type of player he is, he has to be a better user of the footy on the outside, I still cringe when he gets it

azabob
09-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Agree, he's definitely a better player but I still question whether he's cut out for this level. For the type of player he is, he has to be a better user of the footy on the outside, I still cringe when he gets it

I think the basic building blocks skill wise are there, if he can get use to the pace of the game and continue to work on taking the physical hits etc.

always right
09-06-2014, 05:43 PM

For accuracy.....Picken was not smashed by Zorko. He wasn't even on him for most of the first half and managed to quieten him when he did go onto him late second quarter.

JohnGentStand
09-06-2014, 06:00 PM
Ins: Boyd, Cordy
Outs: Howard, Stevens

bornadog
09-06-2014, 06:01 PM

I find Tutt is like a rabbit looking at headlights when any player is attacking him. He just doesn't have footy smarts and panicks. eg. Third quarter he is running along the boundary, Williams leads out just ignores him and slams the ball on to the boot and Brisbane take the ball away. Williams rightly annoyed at him. It was dumb football.

Mantis
09-06-2014, 07:37 PM
For accuracy.....Picken was not smashed by Zorko. He wasn't even on him for most of the first half and managed to quieten him when he did go onto him late second quarter.

He was indirectly as Zorko was their spare behind the ball and Picken was ours.

KT31
09-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Boyds been in very good form, how does it help by leaving him out?

I don't agree with leaving either out, but if it ever came down to a selection between the two I would go with Mitch as the more games he plays the better we will be for it.

Remi Moses
09-06-2014, 08:00 PM
Why on earth would you have Roughead up the ground when he is learning his craft and doing well down back.
Strange

Remi Moses
09-06-2014, 08:03 PM
I don't agree with leaving either out, but if it ever came down to a selection between the two I would go with Mitch as the more games he plays the better we will be for it.

Agree with this . At years end Boyd had to be moved .

Webby
09-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Agree with this . At years end Boyd had to be moved .

It's true that Boyd is in the same category as Cross 12 months ago. Bottlenecking the development if our kids, but still with another year of decent footy in him.

So another scenario is trading Griffen for a pick, taking a kid, and keeping Boyd for another year as a senior mentor.... Just a thought..

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-06-2014, 09:06 PM
IN

Redpath, Johannisen, Campbell, Hunter

OUT

Williams, Minson, Howard, Stevens,

We need run and creativity through the midfield more than anything to get the ball in quickly to our forwards, who then can create a contest and bring the ball to ground and bring our smart players into play such as Grant, Hunter, Hrovat & Gia.

I have selected Redpath ahead of Jones as I think we need a player who is able to lead from the square and give options and a target to kick to. I know Redpath hasn't played at this level before, but why not see what he has got. He should have played against Brisbane last night.

Johannisen back in allows Wood and Higgins to move into the midfield and use their pace (Wood) and creativity and ball use (Higgins) to help speed up the ball move and take the game on. Johannisen isn't the greatest option one on one or ball user, but we need run and carry.

Hunter comes back in, to allow Dahlhaus to spend 90% game time in the midfield to help with run, creativity and carry, with Hrovat and Hunter rotating through when needed.

I have selected Campbell ahead of Cordy basically due to Campbells size and strength. Although I do worry about Campbell's ability to run games out - This is the unknown factor for me.

I don't think the above changes will win us the game, but I do believe they will help our biggest problem which is creativity, foot speed, moving the ball quickly by hand and by foot.

I considered bringing in Stringer instead of Bontimpelli, but I read that Stringer played through the midfield in the VFL and I think he should continue this role in the VFL to help continue to build his fitness and awareness in traffic.
I like your thoughts but hard to imagine Minson being dropped. I would like to see Campbell share the ruck duties with Will.
With Gia and Hrovat being preferred I do not see the need to include Hunter at this stage. Redpath needs to be tried after 3 years on the rookie list at FF. Because of the Magpies strong midfield I would think that Boyd's experience is invaluable.
In. Campbell Redpath Boyd and Johannieson
Out. Williams Howard Stevens and Tutt

always right
09-06-2014, 10:46 PM
He was indirectly as Zorko was their spare behind the ball and Picken was ours.

Not sure I understand your point.

Mantis
10-06-2014, 08:11 AM
Not sure I understand your point.

17 players had opponents in the 2nd qtr...Picken & Zorko were both the "+1's", so indirectly opposed to each other.

It was lunacy that we waited until 1/2 time to match them up.

Sedat
10-06-2014, 08:55 AM
17 players had opponents in the 2nd qtr...Picken & Zorko were both the "+1's", so indirectly opposed to each other.

Was Picken really used as a spare man on Saturday night? Not only do we lose his fantastic shut-down ability by implementing him in such a way but his ball use would almost render him a liability as a plus 1. Bizarre move to say the least.

always right
10-06-2014, 09:27 AM

Thanks.....so Zorko didn't smash Picken.....more like Leppitch smashed Macca.

I actually thought Picken was on Green for most of the first half.

Mofra
10-06-2014, 10:27 AM
His work off the ball has improved out of sight - ran very hard to create pressure in the F50. He was let down by other forwards not running as hard.

always right
10-06-2014, 11:24 AM
The other argument for retaining Tutt is that he is the only bugger who;
1. Chases with intent
2. Actually catches anyone

It's an attribute we desparately need and he doesn't get enough credit for it.

azabob
10-06-2014, 11:28 AM
The other argument for retaining Tutt is that he is the only bugger who;
1. Chases with intent
2. Actually catches anyone

It's an attribute we desparately need and he doesn't get enough credit for it.

Tutt is also a very good set shot for goal.

7 goals; one behind - isn't a bad effort from five games.

Sedat
10-06-2014, 11:44 AM
It's not a knock on Tutt (well it sort of is) but if he is seen as a key component of the run and carry outside pace area of our list (which he undoubtedly is), then we are in all sorts of trouble with regard to our list composition.

Mofra
10-06-2014, 11:52 AM
It's not a knock on Tutt (well it sort of is) but if he is seen as a key component of the run and carry outside pace area of our list (which he undoubtedly is), then we are in all sorts of trouble with regard to our list composition.
We are in all sorts of trouble with regard to our list composition.

I see holes everywhere - the fantasy some have that we should be much higher on the ladder is not one I share.
We have no CHB (Morris is battling admirably outside his weight division), Crameri should be a leading high forward not the focal point, we have no CHF, we lack run & spread on the turnover and most of our back-half drive comes from Murphy (almost 32) and Higgins (who now may be injured again).

1eyedog
10-06-2014, 02:56 PM
We are in all sorts of trouble with regard to our list composition.

I see holes everywhere - the fantasy some have that we should be much higher on the ladder is not one I share.
We have no CHB (Morris is battling admirably outside his weight division), Crameri should be a leading high forward not the focal point, we have no CHF, we lack run & spread on the turnover and most of our back-half drive comes from Murphy (almost 32) and Higgins (who now may be injured again).

Do you think Talia should be played at CHB most weeks to off-set this?
What about Campbell at FF? Why wouldn't Jones come in last week to assist with our issues deep forward?
Surely JJ and Wood need to be given a licence to run down back to assist with faster ball movement with Dahl / Jong / Tutt / Cooney playing through the centre of the ground as part of forward transition.

I look at these guys and think that we are actually (potentially) not that slow.

always right
10-06-2014, 03:28 PM
I want us to start playing the forwardline we hope to see in two years time....not the one they MC thinks might win us games now. That means playing Jones, Crameri and Grant together and perhaps Campbell or Redpath out of the goal square with Dahl/Hunter/Hrovat at their feet. We have no stars up forward so it's critical that we get the mix right. At the moment our two key forwards are Crameri who is a lead-up forward and Williams. Neither of them are pack marks and neither crash packs. Time to structure for the future.

bornadog
10-06-2014, 03:35 PM
I want us to start playing the forwardline we hope to see in two years time....not the one they MC thinks might win us games now. That means playing Jones, Crameri and Grant together and perhaps Campbell or Redpath out of the goal square with Dahl/Hunter/Hrovat at their feet. We have no stars up forward so it's critical that we get the mix right. At the moment our two key forwards are Crameri who is a lead-up forward and Williams. Neither of them are pack marks and neither crash packs. Time to structure for the future.

I agree. Williams is not a forward, lets get a structure together. Dahl is now playing midfield, so we need to find another goal kicker to replace him

G-Mo77
10-06-2014, 03:42 PM
I agree. Williams is not a forward, lets get a structure together. Dahl is now playing midfield, so we need to find another goal kicker to replace him

Hunter, has anyone seen or heard from him? :)

azabob
10-06-2014, 04:00 PM

I hope so, he was one of my ins for this weeks game!

bornadog
10-06-2014, 04:17 PM

Agree on Hunter.

I was responding to AR's post saying the foward line should include Dahl/Hunter/Hrovat. Dahl is now considered as a midfielder.

Perhaps Honeychurch is seen as the next one to move into the forward pocket.

The Underdog
11-06-2014, 08:54 AM

He's one player who while not particularly quick can certainly improve our ball movement with his ball use and ability to pick the right option. I understand that he wasn't in great form and needed to work on some things but we're missing what he brings to the team big time. Considering our midfield and forward line is failing defensively as it is, I can't see that being a reason to not bring him in. Even using him as the sub would give us someone dangerous to come into the game.

Cyberdoggie
11-06-2014, 01:49 PM
He's one player who while not particularly quick can certainly improve our ball movement with his ball use and ability to pick the right option. I understand that he wasn't in great form and needed to work on some things but we're missing what he brings to the team big time. Considering our midfield and forward line is failing defensively as it is, I can't see that being a reason to not bring him in. Even using him as the sub would give us someone dangerous to come into the game.

He does have good vision and creativity but anyone would struggle in our forward line at the moment. He should be in but we need a couple of forwards that can take a grab to help him out.

Cyberdoggie
11-06-2014, 01:56 PM

We are very slow to react, if at all.

Also let Bewick run around free all day. 30 disposals and a goal, career best for him.

Mantis
11-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Also let Bewick run around free all day. 30 disposals and a goal, career best for him.

Wasn't he opposed to Macrae?

G-Mo77
11-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Wasn't he opposed to Macrae?

It varied Mantis. I'm on the wing so I get full view of what Bewick was doing. Macrae was opposed to him at times but there was Cooney, Tutt and others. He pretty much ran around and did what he wanted. Very frustrating. Who ever was manned up in always got sucked into the contest and Bewick just got to the right spot and waited. No one close checked him at all, so no direct orders from above which was really disappointing. I thought he was their best easily and we didn't even try and defend him.

Happy Days
12-06-2014, 11:51 AM
We are very slow to react, if at all.

Watching Bewick, an actively bad player, carve us up was really disheartening. I actually said at one point "I don't care if he goes for 30 touches because he is terrible". Obviously the coaching panel thought the same, because we just paid him no mind.

bornadog
12-06-2014, 02:23 PM
My Team for this week.

B: Morris Roughead JJ

HB: Picken, Roberts, Higgins

C: Wood, Griffen, Macrae

HF: Grant, Jones, Murphy

F: Dahl, Redpath, Crameri

Minson, Libba, Cooney

Inter: Wallis, Hrovat, Bonti, Hunter

Also consider Stringer and Cordy

Greystache
12-06-2014, 02:35 PM
I think we'll go with

B: Picken Roughead Wood

HB: Murphy, Morris, Higgins

C: Boyd, Griffen, Macrae

HF: Stevens, Williams, Hrovat

F: Dahl, Crameri, Grant

Minson, Libba, Cooney

Inter: Wallis, Gia, Bonti, Howard

Out- Tutt
In- Boyd

Remi Moses
12-06-2014, 02:51 PM
I'd be mortified if Howard's still there.
In Cordy JJ Hunter Redpath
Out Minson ( make a statement) Howard Williams Gia ( time to move on, but it won't happen)

always right
12-06-2014, 02:57 PM
My Team for this week.

F: Dahl, Redpath, Grant

Minson, Libba, Cooney

Why would you omit Crameri......unless by Grant you meant Crameri on the HFF.? Sure his form has been up and down but I'm keen to finally see how a Crameri, Jones and Grant combo fares.

always right
12-06-2014, 03:01 PM
My team assuming Boyd is out injured again....

B: Morris, Roughead, Picken

HB: Murphy, Wood, Higgins

C: Cooney, Griffen, Macrae

HF: Crameri, Jones, Grant

F: Dahl, Redpath, Hunter

Minson, Libba, Wallis

Inter: Tutt, Hrovat, Bonti, Gia

The Bulldogs Bite
12-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Jones needs to play. Hardly convincing but he's the best we have. (Williams out).
Minson has been poor this season, culminating in his effort last week. Campbell in.
Howard won't play. I'd imagine Hunter will play.

I can see us just making one change, though (Howard).

Greystache
12-06-2014, 04:11 PM
I can see us just making one change, though (Howard).

I think you're right about 1 change, and I agree it'll probably be Howard, or Tutt. It'll make the supporters want to throw up, but I can see us reducing run for more inside grunt.

bornadog
12-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Why would you omit Crameri......unless by Grant you meant Crameri on the HFF.? Sure his form has been up and down but I'm keen to finally see how a Crameri, Jones and Grant combo fares.

Whoops that is a mistake, I will adjust had Grant in twice. I have assumed Boyd won't be ready

Mind you, I don't believe that will be the team, at most we will have two changes.

DISHLICKERS
12-06-2014, 05:43 PM
My Team for this week.

F: Dahl, Redpath, Crameri

Minson, Libba, Cooney

I would love to see that line up in the front half.

All of Crameri, Grant, Jones and Redpath give something different.

Would consider Stringer instead of Redpath.

I really want to see Crameri, Jones and Grant play together. None real stars but together can be a star foward line.

LostDoggy
12-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Williams and Howard just must be out this week.

If Jones doesn't come in for Williams I will not be impressed.

Wouldn't be totally against a Cordy recall either.

Hoping Boyd is right to go.. But doesn't look likely.

bornadog
12-06-2014, 06:27 PM
Looks like Austin will come in this week???

azabob
12-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Looks like Austin will come in this week???

Yep, wonder if Roughead or Morris is injured?

I have no issues with Austin as a player. I think he has performed at senior level when he has played.

soupman
12-06-2014, 06:43 PM
I have no issues with Austin as a player. I think he has performed at senior level when he has played.

Yeah I think he has been pretty good at senior level. Not amazing but has done the job. He is however, an uninspiring selection.

azabob
12-06-2014, 06:44 PM
Yeah I think he has been pretty good at senior level. Not amazing but has done the job. He is however, an uninspiring selection.

Yep, I do agree.

bulldogtragic
12-06-2014, 06:47 PM
In: Austin

Out: Any hope I had for getting enthusiastic about our game this week

azabob
12-06-2014, 06:53 PM
In: Austin

Out: Any hope I had for getting enthusiastic about our game this week

Can you imagine BT if you actually went to the games!! (Please don't take offence, none was meant to be given)

bulldogtragic
12-06-2014, 07:08 PM
Can you imagine BT if you actually went to the games!! (Please don't take offence, none was meant to be given)

None taken Aza, I don't think I have the strength of GMo to sit on the Calder Hwy for over an hour after a shocking game/loss, especially at night with some pain issues I've got these days - I'm not sure what would hurt me more, pain or 3 hours of what we dish up at the minute. Accordingly, I doubled my memberships and ad ons to compensate for not attending and I've chosen mainly TAC Cup and some VFL games to go to and coincidentally I enjoy it a hell of a lot more. I can only wonder how the 18 'bulldogs backyard' kids I sponsored have enjoyed their free tickets and exposure to our brand??

bornadog
12-06-2014, 07:34 PM
Round 13 - Collingwood vs Western Bulldogs
Sunday 15 June 2014, 3:20pm
Venue: Etihad Stadium

Full back
L Picken
J Roughead
E Wood

Half back
S Higgins
D Morris
R Murphy

Centreline
M Bontempelli
R Griffen
J Macrae

Half forward
K Stevens
T Williams
M Boyd

Full forward
L Dahlhaus
S Crameri
D Giansiracusa

Followers
W Minson
A Cooney
T Liberatore

Interchange (from)
J Grant
M Wallis
J Tutt

L Jones
N Hrovat
J Johannisen

Only Howard out at this stage
M Austin

whythelongface
12-06-2014, 07:43 PM
So Williams keeps his spot despite two mediocre performances. What is the reason for Austin's elevation? Confused. Much.

Hopefully Jones gets a game.

LostDoggy
12-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Maybe Austin for Higgins if injured

whythelongface
12-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Who will be the likely 3 that miss out?

bornadog
12-06-2014, 07:49 PM
Maybe Austin for Higgins if injured

In the injury thread, Higgins was right to go.

Remi Moses
12-06-2014, 07:50 PM
Great to see a statement made after last weeks debacle.
This is just so uninspiring

whythelongface
12-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Great to see a statement made after last weeks debacle.
This is just so uninspiring

Apart from bringing in a Cordy; Campbell or Redpath what other changes could have been made?

There are potentially up to 3 more changes that can be made.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Match Committee are on a hiding to nothing here. No matter who came in they'd cop it.
Objectively with the ins they have potentially (depending on final selections):
* Given Minson a decent 2nd ruck option with Austin relieving Roughy.
* Addressed our key forward set up with Jones, and
* Addressed run and carry with Johannissen.

I really don't know what people expect, its not like we're hiding any superstars in the VFL side who could be a match winning alternative.

ReLoad
12-06-2014, 08:05 PM
Given where we are on the ladder and what remains of the season, Campbell and Jones need to play out the remainder of the year, akin to the end of last year as a semi coherent forward unit with small running around them.

If they can get the synergy that they had late last year with Crameri in the side our forward line looks very different. However we are yet to really give this any sort of chance.

whythelongface
12-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Given where we are on the ladder and what remains of the season, Campbell and Jones need to play out the remainder of the year, akin to the end of last year as a semi coherent forward unit with small running around them.

If they can get the synergy that they had late last year with Crameri in the side our forward line looks very different. However we are yet to really give this any sort of chance.

Did both Campbell and Jones play together? I thought it was mainly Campbell whilst Jones was playing 2nds and we had Grant playing with Campbell. I could well be wrong.

Greystache
12-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Did both Campbell and Jones play together? I thought it was mainly Campbell whilst Jones was playing 2nds and we had Grant playing with Campbell. I could well be wrong.

1 game, vs Adelaide. Campbell was subbed after half time, despite being our best forward in the first quarter IMO.

ReLoad
12-06-2014, 08:17 PM
With Jones playing from the 50 outwards and Campbell deep, its really a way we can bust packs open, imagine how much better Grant is when this happens (as shown last year) the pressure is also off Crameri as he will get the the 3rd tall defender.

Minson also gets a chop out in the F50 (something he needs desperately)

This gives us lots of options; a forward presence and way to get games into Campbell, we all know rucks take a long time to develop and this sure as heck helps.

My key point being, can we do any worse?, given we haven't changed anything over the last 2 months of tripe.

Greystache
12-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Howard out, Austin in? #pumped

whythelongface
12-06-2014, 08:22 PM
With Jones playing from the 50 outwards and Campbell deep, its really a way we can bust packs open, imagine how much better Grant is when this happens (as shown last year) the pressure is also off Crameri as he will get the the 3rd tall defender.

Minson also gets a chop out in the F50 (something he needs desperately)

This gives us lots of options; a forward presence and way to get games into Campbell, we all know rucks take a long time to develop and this sure as heck helps.

My key point being, can we do any worse?, given we haven't changed anything over the last 2 months of tripe.

But isn't better for Campbell to continue to learn his craft in the 2nds. I know we are crying out for a tall decent forward but is he the solution? Probably a better option than Williams.

Maybe they will start Jones as a deep forward and have Williams play CHF.

G-Mo77
12-06-2014, 08:34 PM
None taken Aza, I don't think I have the strength of GMo to sit on the Calder Hwy for over an hour after a shocking game/loss, especially at night with some pain issues I've got these days - I'm not sure what would hurt me more, pain or 3 hours of what we dish up at the minute. Accordingly, I doubled my memberships and ad ons to compensate for not attending and I've chosen mainly TAC Cup and some VFL games to go to and coincidentally I enjoy it a hell of a lot more. I can only wonder how the 18 'bulldogs backyard' kids I sponsored have enjoyed their free tickets and exposure to our brand??

As I said last week BT I'm taking a few weeks off because I'm getting pretty sick of it. Last week soured me because I went against my better judgement with a sore back and it's flared up bad this week. I'll be back for the Melbourne game (brother is a Dee's supporter) Saints game (other brother is a Saints supporter) and possibly a couple of the final weeks and that'll do me this year.

bulldogtragic
12-06-2014, 09:16 PM
As I said last week BT I'm taking a few weeks off because I'm getting pretty sick of it. Last week soured me because I went against my better judgement with a sore back and it's flared up bad this week. I'll be back for the Melbourne game (brother is a Dee's supporter) Saints game (other brother is a Saints supporter) and possibly a couple of the final weeks and that'll do me this year.

That'd be on of my wose case scenarios, bad game compounded by bad health. Hopefully the back is on the mend or at least manageable and we give you sibling bragging rights for the off season!

Remi Moses
12-06-2014, 09:51 PM
Match Committee are on a hiding to nothing here. No matter who came in they'd cop it.

I really don't know what people expect, its not like we're hiding any superstars in the VFL side who could be a match winning alternative.

Just a few issues for mine.
Williams just isn't going to get there( he's hasn't got any forward smarts)
Why upgrade Mark Austin ? Surely he was on the rookie list as injury backup.
Minson has been terrible( would have been an ideal time to make some sort of statement )
Cordy's playing his best footy at a lower level. ( isn't that why Austin got a call up?)
JJ's a better option than Howard.
Sadly we're going to see a 32 year old as our smartest forward.

Remi Moses
12-06-2014, 09:56 PM
Apart from bringing in a Cordy; Campbell or Redpath what other changes could have been made?

There are potentially up to 3 more changes that can be made.

Minson should have been dropped. He got beat up by a third stringer!
How poorly we defend outside the contest, Austin's going to get a heap of one on one's with Cloke !
I think BMccartney's way to loyal to the players

azabob
12-06-2014, 11:02 PM

That'd be on of my wose case scenarios, bad game compounded by bad health. Hopefully the back is on the mend or at least manageable and we give you sibling bragging rights for the off season!

I don't blame you guys. Would be nothing worse driving home an hour plus after a loss.

GVGjr
12-06-2014, 11:13 PM

That's how I see it. The final side won't be confirmed until tomorrow.

bulldogtragic
12-06-2014, 11:21 PM
I don't blame you guys. Would be nothing worse driving home an hour plus after a loss.

More like 2 hours plus. It's an hour and ten or so minutes from the Calder Maccas to Kangaroo Flat. So factor in Etihad to The Maccas, and then travel and traffic at either end, and slowing down to dodge Kangaroos in the dark if it's a night game.

whythelongface
12-06-2014, 11:21 PM
That's how I see it. The final side won't be confirmed until tomorrow.

Who do you guys think will make way for Jones; JJ and Austin? Maybe Stevens; Wallis and Williams.

azabob
12-06-2014, 11:26 PM
Who do you guys think will make way for Jones; JJ and Austin? Maybe Stevens; Wallis and Williams.

Williams and Stevens will play.

GVGjr
12-06-2014, 11:27 PM

It's more than likely that just the 7 players on the bench will be reduced to 4. Williams and Stevens have been named in the starting line-up.

whythelongface
12-06-2014, 11:36 PM
It's more than likely that just the 7 players on the bench will be reduced to 4. Williams and Stevens have been named in the starting line-up.

Good point. It would be a rough call for Grant to be dropped after one game. Also the rat surely is deserving of another game.

bornadog
13-06-2014, 12:14 AM
1 game, vs Adelaide. Campbell was subbed after half time, despite being our best forward in the first quarter IMO.

you mean for 10 minutes the first quarter.

bornadog
13-06-2014, 12:17 AM
I hope for gods sake Austin doesn't play on Cloke, he will be smashed.

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-06-2014, 12:22 AM
I hope for gods sake Austin doesn't play on Cloke, he will be smashed.

Why wouldn't Roughead play on Cloke with Austin taking the resting ruckman in the back pocket?

bornadog
13-06-2014, 12:23 AM
Why wouldn't Roughead play on Cloke with Austin taking the resting ruckman in the back pocket?

That is what should happen

LostDoggy
13-06-2014, 08:54 AM
I'm still trying to work out how Williams has been given another game. Trying to come up with 1 valid reason to play him ahead of Jones and i just can't.

soupman
13-06-2014, 09:06 AM
At this stage I think the changes will be Boyd for Howard and Austin for Tutt. I'd be very surprised if any of Wallis, Grant or Hrovat are dropped as two younger ones were decent on the weekend and why would we put Grant in to take him out again. Austin wasn't elevated to be an emergency so Tutt is the least secure on that bench.

I'm disappointed Jones isn't in the side though, I think he has been showing a bit in his last few performances and is a key component of our future.

bornadog
13-06-2014, 09:36 AM
I'm still trying to work out how Williams has been given another game. Trying to come up with 1 valid reason to play him ahead of Jones and i just can't.

How about kicked two goals and tapped one to Hrovat.

The Underdog
13-06-2014, 09:51 AM

Does Morris take White? Hence Roughy on Cloke & Austin on Witts/Grundy? Does Picken take Elliott? Or do we give Wood that job & send Picken to a mid?

Ozza
13-06-2014, 10:03 AM
Think Roughead plays on Cloke, Austin takes White - and Morris to play on Jamie Elliott, who has been their most dangerous forward this season.

Although I much prefer Jones to be playing CHF than Williams, I don't think Williams was that bad last week. He is no good in a one on one, but he does get to the right spots.

bornadog
13-06-2014, 10:03 AM
Does Morris take White? Hence Roughy on Cloke & Austin on Witts/Grundy? Does Picken take Elliott? Or do we give Wood that job & send Picken to a mid?

We definitely needed another tall this week (every week actually).

LostDoggy
13-06-2014, 10:07 AM
How about kicked two goals and tapped one to Hrovat.

His first goal was a very lucky bounce in the goal square unattended. The tap was clever.

Just don't see given the current position we are in why we would be playing him when he's clearly not setting the world on fire.

LostDoggy
13-06-2014, 10:11 AM

Depends what Collingwood do come team selection tonight, but i doubt they would play all of Witts/Grundy & White. Have they done that this season yet?

I would send Picken to Beams. Wood on Elliot is a good match-up for mine.

The Underdog
13-06-2014, 10:40 AM
Depends what Collingwood do come team selection tonight, but i doubt they would play all of Witts/Grundy & White. Have they done that this season yet?

I would send Picken to Beams. Wood on Elliot is a good match-up for mine.

I'll be interested, it would stretch us, but would make Austin's inclusion make more sense. I quite like him as a matchup for White if Witts doesn't play.

LostDoggy
13-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Matty Boyd withdrawn. Replaced by Mitch Honeychurch.

bornadog
13-06-2014, 02:49 PM

Unless he is playing, why would you name him?

wimberga
13-06-2014, 02:50 PM

Where did you hear that M.R.M?

bornadog
13-06-2014, 02:52 PM

Twitter

wimberga
13-06-2014, 03:00 PM
Twitter

On the official Dogs twitter? Can't find it there, wonder if its been removed potentially.

bornadog
13-06-2014, 03:23 PM
On the official Dogs twitter? Can't find it there, wonder if its been removed potentially.

Patrick Keane.

Also has apparently been mentioned on MMM.

G-Mo77
13-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Mitch may be the travelling emergency again. :)

bornadog
13-06-2014, 03:37 PM

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-13/key-dog-to-miss-pies-clash?utm_medium=RSS

wimberga
13-06-2014, 03:42 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-13/key-dog-to-miss-pies-clash?utm_medium=RSS

Thanks for that!

lemmon
13-06-2014, 03:51 PM
Mitch may be the travelling emergency again. :)

Surely not, when was the last time the kid actually got on the park? If he's in the squad I imagine he'll play

whythelongface
13-06-2014, 06:25 PM
Only change is

In Jones
Out Howard

The Underdog
13-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Final is Jones in for Howard.
That Austin thing was some awesome trolling by the selectors. BTW, Witts in the final 22 for the Pies.

WBFC4FFC
13-06-2014, 06:37 PM
Should have been JJ in the side for Howard. Need some small players with a bit of pace.

bornadog
13-06-2014, 07:16 PM
Final is Jones in for Howard.
That Austin thing was some awesome trolling by the selectors. BTW, Witts in the final 22 for the Pies.

One miserable change?

Williams will have to play back.

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-06-2014, 08:35 PM
One miserable change?

Williams will have to play back.

Interesting when you think of the number of players who have been discarded this year and now not considered good enough. These include Campbell Hunter Talia Young Goodes Roberts and JJ. Add the injuries to Smith and Dickson which then makes our lack of depth cause for concern if not alarming.

Eastdog
13-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Do you think it is a good plan at times in the game for Macca to throw Murph up in the forward line. He might create a bit of spark up there. What do you reckon? We are just so desperate for something to happen there.

GVGjr
13-06-2014, 08:43 PM
Only change is

In Jones
Out Howard

There should have been at least two changes. JJ should have been included.

LostDoggy
13-06-2014, 08:44 PM
There should have been at least two changes. JJ should have been included.

Perhaps there still will be?

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Do you think it is a good plan at times in the game for Macca to throw Murph up in the forward line. He might create a bit of spark up there. What do you reckon? We are just so desperate for something to happen there.

I would personally as Murphy not only gives you skill and class but also leadership in a struggling attack. You start to wonder how many half backs we have recruited which includes Young JJ Howard Fuller Pearce Goodes and Austin and yet the MC are still content to continue to play Murph at half back when we are so desperate for forwards.

Eastdog
13-06-2014, 09:06 PM
I would personally as Murphy not only gives you skill and class but also leadership in a struggling attack. You start to wonder how many half backs we have recruited which includes Young JJ Howard Fuller Pearce Goodes and Austin and yet the MC are still content to continue to play Murph at half back when we are so desperate for forwards.

Agree. I just feel Macca needs to take some risks and try some new things. I think our defence had held up well. Our mids need to work harder and get good delivery into the forwards. We need some target up there. I do not like Roughy playing forward. I rather we develop him as a key back. Question: Tommy Williams play him forward or back.

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Agree. I just feel Macca needs to take some risks and try some new things. I think our defence had held up well. Our mids need to work harder and get good delivery into the forwards. We need some target up there. I do not like Roughy playing forward. I rather we develop him as a key back. Question: Tommy Williams play him forward or back.

Given the make up of the side you would have to think that Williams will have to play back to mind the Magpies resting ruckman. This would then leave Jones to have to provide some relief for Minson in the ruck which isn't ideal..

Eastdog
13-06-2014, 09:17 PM
Given the make up of the side you would have to think that Williams will have to play back to mind the Magpies resting ruckman. This would then leave Jones to have to provide some relief for Minson in the ruck which isn't ideal..

Jones for me should play CHF. Crameri is a quality player but is not a FF - he is a 3rd tall. Who else in that case would relieve Mino in the ruck if Jones doesn't do that.

G-Mo77
13-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Surely not, when was the last time the kid actually got on the park? If he's in the squad I imagine he'll play

Sorry lemon. I wasn't being serious sadly though it wouldn't be any surprise if it happened.

1 change? My pet hate is the whole accepting mediocrity spiel but it seems like this is a good time to try it out.

Jones is a good in and one that should have happened last week. It'll help Crameri and Grant out and Williams will fly under the radar a little. They may hurt us on the rebound but that was bound to happen anyway. I actually like the look of our forward line......on paper.

bulldogtragic
13-06-2014, 09:56 PM
In my day, losing sides made changes.

F'scary
13-06-2014, 10:51 PM
This is like saying we would have won last week...except for Howard.

LostDoggy
13-06-2014, 10:55 PM

I think it's more like saying we will back you in to learn from last week and perform better this week

bulldogtragic
13-06-2014, 11:05 PM

It's like an 80's style movie montage of the angry fat camp drill sergeant screaming at a fat kid that "were not going home until they do one 'chin up'...

At some point the fat kid gets demoralised, it doesn't happen and so every one is getting punished for expecting nothing but rhetoric to change things. Or worse, that montage turns into Full Metal Jacket. Private Pyle!

This is my rifle...

whythelongface
14-06-2014, 12:36 AM
In my day, losing sides made changes.

That is all well and good but we need the depth of players to be able to make these changes. Currently we may have one or two others knocking on the door and even those players aren't really playing at a level that screams pick me.

always right
14-06-2014, 12:39 AM
Interesting when you think of the number of players who have been discarded this year and now not considered good enough. These include Campbell Hunter Talia Young Goodes Roberts and JJ. Add the injuries to Smith and Dickson which then makes our lack of depth cause for concern if not alarming.

Discarded? Slight exaggeration.

I don't get why Austin would be elevated but not picked. I expect a late change.

bornadog
14-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Discarded? Slight exaggeration.

I don't get why Austin would be elevated but not picked. I expect a late change.

Maybe there was a deadline of when you can upgrade players? We are at the half way mark of the season.

kruder
14-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Austin not playing in the VFL. Late change?

kruder
14-06-2014, 02:38 PM

And JJ. There must be one late change

GVGjr
14-06-2014, 03:29 PM

I guess so. It's understandable to have one guy not playing but two indicates there is at least one late change.

Bulldog Joe
14-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Maybe there was a deadline of when you can upgrade players? We are at the half way mark of the season.

The deadline is Friday before the last match of the season.

At this point we can also upgrade one player without needing to be the replacement for a long term injury

azabob
14-06-2014, 08:17 PM

Perhaps Higgins hasn't come up after his hit? Big loss if he doesn't play.

bornadog
15-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Williams Out

Austin In

and Beams out for Collingwood - YES!!

Gia sub.

azabob
15-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Williams Out

Austin In

Gia sub.

Two big outs for the pies. Goldsack and Beams.

GVGjr
15-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Williams Out

Austin In

Gia sub.

That changes a few things around. I wonder how we will use Roughead? I hope we don't try Austin as a forward

azabob
15-06-2014, 03:30 PM
That changes a few things around. I wonder how we will use Roughead? I hope we don't try Austin as a forward

I think Jones will be used forward.

Roughead, Austin and Morris in defence.

Bumper Bulldogs
15-06-2014, 03:46 PM
I think Jones will be used forward.

Roughead, Austin and Morris in defence.

Makes us a big chance and a real danger game for the pies now.