PDA

View Full Version : Blame me for horror week, says Western Bulldogs coach

bornadog
09-06-2014, 12:33 AM
http://images.theage.com.au/2014/06/08/5494269/1402223585935.jpg-300x0.jpgWestern Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney has taken responsibility for the team's slide on and off the ground, but again asked for patience from supporters as the club struggles through one of its lowest points in its recent history.

McCartney said he would accept the brunt of criticism levelled at the Dogs following a horror week that began with confronting analysis of the club’s overall relevance in the competition, and ended with a surprise loss to the Brisbane Lions on Saturday night. The Bulldogs have won just three games for the season.

A report in Fairfax Media last week rated the Bulldogs last on the ''relevance'' ladder, which used a number of key measures - such as members, social media followers, crowd and ratings figures - to gauge the public interest in each club.
As the Dogs moved to dismiss the notion they had become ''invisible'' on the wider football landscape, losing to the struggling Lions - and doing so in front of just 18,054 fans at Etihad Stadium - was not the response the club and McCartney had hoped for.

The criticism aimed at the club centred mostly on the willingness of players and officials to contribute to the football discussion, maintain traction in the market and give fans reason to engage even when the team is not winning.
McCartney admitted building excitement on the field was another major factor in helping the club in its mission to ''win the hearts'' of fans in Melbourne’s western suburbs, and the Dogs were falling short in that area.

"You feel an enormous responsibility, not just to win games for your club and your supporters, but also to have your team play footy that is good to watch and footy that people respect,'' McCartney said on 3AW.
"What we’ve got to do as a group, all of us - me, the coaches, our senior players, our younger players, all our staff in the football department - is become a club where people just don’t go to the footy thinking, 'hang on, there is going to be a 20- or 30-minute patch here where they fall apart'. And I’ve got no doubt some of our supporters think that, and when it does happen like it did [on Saturday] night, it’s costly."

Former Western Bulldogs captain Matthew Boyd said losing close games this year had put the club under the media microscope, and said honourable losses were as demoralising for the players as they were for fans. The Dogs have lost three games by less than 10 points - to Adelaide, Essendon and the Lions.

“We are working really hard to win the hearts in the west and we’ve got a huge opportunity to build a supporter base in our community,'' Boyd said on Channel Nine. "But, obviously, wins help that, and that’s what we are trying to bring to the table now.''

Former Bulldogs star Nathan Brown, who thought the Fairfax Media report was "unnecessarily negative", said he was worried about the team’s game plan, theorising that McCartney had been influenced too much by his time as an assistant coach at Geelong and Essendon, where the plan was to kick long to key forwards.
Brown said he did not believe the Dogs had the quality marking targets in players such as Stewart Crameri, Liam Jones, Tom Williams and others to be successful with that game style, and suggested McCartney find a new strategy.

The Dogs’ inability to apply scoreboard pressure, despite being one of the best contested ball teams during the past five rounds, and generating enough inside-50s to do so, has been a source of frustration for supporters.
McCartney said the Dogs were not moving the ball as quickly as he wanted, which meant some of the long forward-50 entries were not as dangerous as they could be.

“We had significant opportunities in the last quarter [against Brisbane] to move the ball forward and we still ended up having more handballs than kicks," he said.
“It is a little bit of confidence and just people willing to put the ball under their arm and go forward and see what happens - and get the ball into the forward line to advantage.”
McCartney insisted the loss to Brisbane did not mean the Dogs had gone backwards, but had "perhaps stalled a little bit''. He said the Bulldogs were actually ahead of where it was at the same point last year before they went on a late-season run that produced four wins from six games.

“When I line us up with 12 months ago ... when we got behind like [Saturday] night, we were getting beaten by 60 or 70 points," he said.
"So we are finding ways ... to get back into the game and that's as frustrating as getting blown away - more frustrating at times - because people sense something might be happening and then we just fall short."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/blame-me-for-horror-week-says-western-bulldogs-coach-20140608-zs17v.html#ixzz343QaRomw

bornadog
09-06-2014, 12:34 AM
I don't think I have ever heard a coach say they are taking the blame.

KT31
09-06-2014, 12:46 AM
So he should , its a two way street, he took the accolades for the last few games last season.

G-Mo77
09-06-2014, 12:49 AM

Not sure about other teams but for our team I haven't.

His press conferences have been similar for most of the year the one on Saturday night seemed different so did his interviews this morning. As he said it falls on his shoulders, he's the head coach and should wear the blame but do feel for the guy.

Remi Moses
09-06-2014, 02:42 AM
Good to see McCartney take the heat as he should.
There's nowhere to hide

Topdog
09-06-2014, 08:32 AM
Interesting that he says he feels the responsibility to provide football that is good to watch.

azabob
09-06-2014, 09:52 AM

I asked in another thread is he noble enough to fall on his own sword - I think the answer is yes.

bornadog
09-06-2014, 10:57 AM
I asked in another thread is he noble enough to fall on his own sword - I think the answer is yes.

and that isnot what we need at the moment.

azabob
09-06-2014, 10:59 AM
and that isnot what we need at the moment.

I agree.

Maddog37
09-06-2014, 11:20 AM
When did he take the accolades for winning last year? I have never heard him do anything other than credit the players for a win.

boydogs
09-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Interesting that he says he feels the responsibility to provide football that is good to watch.

When he goes into detail though he talks about avoiding lapses, not a high scoring gameplan

Jeanette54
09-06-2014, 12:26 PM
If B-Mac is concerned about the speed of our ball movement then I suggest that the team adopt the following rule.

Never, ever, ever, ever handball to someone who is a) standing still and/or b) running toward the defensive end. So often this year we have seen constant turnovers to hospital handballs.

And while I am at it Luke Dahlhaus is not six foot five, so stop dropping the ball on his head when kicking into the forward fifty. He is good overhead, but its just a gift to the opposition backmen.

Also (and I wish I had some of last years games still recorded so I could pinpoint it better) our stoppage setup has changed. Our clearances this year are nowhere near as quick and clean as last year, and the defensive setup at stoppages is not working either.

Given that 2014 is now a washout another suggestion could be that some of our longer term "investments", for example Ayce Cordy Liam Jones and Jarrad Grant need some sink or swim game time. With the club struggling its now time to either piddle or get off the potty.

And no, I don't want B-Macs job..... just my two cents worth.

bulldogtragic
09-06-2014, 12:29 PM
If B-Mac is concerned about the speed of our ball movement then I suggest that the team adopt the following rule.

Never, ever, ever, ever handball to someone who is a) standing still and/or b) running toward the defensive end. So often this year we have seen constant turnovers to hospital handballs.

And while I am at it Luke Dahlhaus is not six foot five, so stop dropping the ball on his head when kicking into the forward fifty. He is good overhead, but its just a gift to the opposition backmen.

Also (and I wish I had some of last years games still recorded so I could pinpoint it better) our stoppage setup has changed. Our clearances this year are nowhere near as quick and clean as last year, and the defensive setup at stoppages is not working either.

Given that 2014 is now a washout another suggestion could be that some of our longer term "investments", for example Ayce Cordy Liam Jones and Jarrad Grant need some sink or swim game time. With the club struggling its now time to either piddle or get off the potty.

Thanks Jeanette, you just saved me writing the same thing! :)

bornadog
09-06-2014, 12:31 PM

Good post J54. A great example on Saturday was when we had momentum in the last, the ball was in the back 50, and all the players were running forward. Tutt had the ball and instead of running forward as well he turned around and looked to handball off to someone else. This gave the opportunity to Brisbane to defend and we lost the ball.

Throughandthrough
10-06-2014, 10:22 AM
I hope we have spoken to John Worsfold. The mail is he's circling at Richmond.

Cyberdoggie
10-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Would help to have to targets that can actually mark the ball in contested situations. Especially when you don't want to move the ball quickly, you need to be able to take a contested grab.

I think Jeanette has nailed it re the handball. We are far too quick to handball off to someone else as soon as we get it or handball sideways and then backward due to perceived pressure or lack of ownership to take the game on.

Perhaps we practice the hot potato drills far too often in training that it becomes instinct?
It's a big confidence draining moment to get caught with the ball, and I think worry is a heavy weight on the players when confidence is low. This only encourages the over handballing.

Griffen is a great example, yes he's struggling with injury most likely but he had a lot more handballs to kick ratio.
Ryan's game is to run and carry the ball, take on players and get past them. I don't see that from him or many others this year, only Murphy and Wood to a lesser extent.

Mitch Wallis's game is a good example of how a player has suffered as a result of this over handballing regime we have.
Prior to drafting Mitch averaged 28 disposals and had a 47 touch game in the TAC cup GF. His first year with the dogs his confidence took a dent because he got caught with the ball too often. He tried to change his game and then handball harry was born. The fastest hands in the west, Mitch now flicks the ball out in his trademark pickup and dive handball move, which usually is backward or sideways or straight to someone else with 2 players baring down on them. Other than tagging, what value does he add to the side playing this way? how can such a prodigious talent now be such a compacted and negative footballer.

So we have two major problems as I see it:

1) We lack tall contesting marking players to kick long to when playing the slow conservative way

2) We lack running players with pace and skill to break lines when trying to take the game on.

Too many of the same sort of players in the middle and up forward.
We may not have the required players but we also are not picking our best players in those areas.

Happy Days
10-06-2014, 05:28 PM
McCartney is having the same career arc as Stringer Bell.

He took that shit off the players and put it on him, now look for him to get got in a couple of episodes.

Go_Dogs
10-06-2014, 06:47 PM
McCartney is having the same career arc as Stringer Bell.

He took that shit off the players and put it on him, now look for him to get got in a couple of episodes.

Whose going to be Avon, Omar and Brother Mazone?

azabob
10-06-2014, 07:08 PM
Whose going to be Avon, Omar and Brother Mazone?

I'm more worried about who the heck is Marlo Stanfield - he is the one you have to watch out for.

Happy Days
10-06-2014, 07:10 PM
I'm more worried about who the heck is Marlo Stanfield - he is the one you have to watch out for.

Marlo is whatever team we happen to be playing each week.

lemmon
10-06-2014, 07:11 PM

As long as we don't have any Mcnulty's!

Remi Moses
10-06-2014, 08:06 PM

Great post . Bang on about the kicking to Luke D,and probably think they were kicking it to Brad Johnson