PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs in focus - articles by Peter Gordon

ledge
11-06-2014, 12:13 PM
The star/weekly has a great article from Peter Gordon this week about how angry he is with some supporters giving up the ghost and how far off the recent article about us dissappearing and becoming also says how upset he is we aren't winning games, Excellent reading wish I could post it but its in the paper.. If any of you can find a way to post it or want to read it get the western version of the local Rag.

Says the club will pay off a lot of debt this year and the Edgewater project is well on its way, after all the legal problems have now been solved.

Murphy'sLore
11-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Last week someone (meshe maybe?) photographed the article and uploaded it here -- it was quite easy to read… any chance you could do that ledge? Would love to read it if possible.

Greystache
11-06-2014, 12:35 PM
Together We Will Get Better

Continuing our regular series, Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon writes exclusively for Star Weekly.

God, I hate losing.

And while Brisbane played well at the weekend, I’m sick to death of acknowledging the improvement of our competitors. We are not in this competition to make up the bloody numbers. We have to lift.

We all have to try harder and get better, from the president down. Nothing is more important than winning games of footy.

Here are my other messages to you.

1. We will expect maximum effort and competency from every director and employee of this club to help us to lift … players, coaches, physios, weight coaches, you name it.

2. Some so-called supporters have the nerve to write to me complaining about effort by the team when they haven’t even renewed their membership or, having renewed it, haven’t honoured their payments obligations. To those so-called members and supporters, to quote Elvis … “Clean up your own backyard before you come lecturing me”.

3. Some other so-called experts write that these kind of performances mean we will soon be out of existence. Time for a reality check! We will make a profit this year. We’ll have paid down $2 million off club debt by season’s end. We’ve cemented an historic equalisation agreement with the AFL which provides us with better financial security and opportunity than we have ever had. Our membership will be in the top three in our AFL history, even with three years of indifferent on-field performances. We’ve cleared years of roadblocks to our $30 million Edgewater facility and it opens early next year. If that sounds to you like an organisation going out of existence, time to go back to business school.

4. I’m proud of all those things. But if anyone thinks any of us is happy to see us puddle along with a 20-something per cent win-loss ratio, they don’t know me and they don’t know us. We will get better.

Link (http://www.wyndham.starweekly.com.au/story/1804085/bulldogs-in-focus-together-we-will-get-better/)

Greystache
11-06-2014, 12:36 PM
Still Living The Dream- Jordan Roughead

In a regular series, Western Bulldogs player Jordan Roughead write exclusively for Star Weekly

I had a discussion with my mum recently about life, and how mine had panned out so far.

We spoke about how fortunate I am to have been dealt this hand. I still have to pinch myself occasionally that I’m playing football for the team I barracked so hard for growing up.

The conversation took me back to a moment that will forever be etched in my brain — the moment I became a Bulldogs player.

Leading into the 2008 draft, I was hopeful of being picked up. But it was unlikely to be the Bulldogs as I hadn’t had any discussions with them.

On draft day, my family and I were huddled over a laptop, listening to a streaming service that my IT-obsessed brother had set up for us.

I memorised my registration number, so that I would know a second or two before anyone else if I was drafted. Player number 208223 was read out, and by the Western Bulldogs. In an instant, the dream I’m now living had begun.

I often think about my dad’s reaction. It was understated, but I could tell just how proud he was, having played in the red, white and blue in 1974.

Dad was a reliable ruckman before being struck down by a serious knee injury after 13 reserves games. He loved the club – he still does – and I get a feeling his teammates liked him, too.

People tell me he was dependable on and off the field, as he has been as a father and mentor.

Not long after my number was read out our phone rang. It was Daniel Giansiracusa. Gia congratulated me and said he looked forward to catching up at the club. That call meant a lot.

Football has its associated pressures and setbacks, but after six years at the kennel, I still believe that I’m the luckiest Bulldogs supporter I know.

Link (http://www.brimbank.starweekly.com.au/story/1804067/bulldogs-in-focus-still-living-the-dream/?nav=Y2F0X2lkLzE2)

LostDoggy
11-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Great piece by Roughy. He will be hurting a little bit more than most players I reckon.

Murphy'sLore
11-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Thanks for that, Stache.

I needed a bit of a gee up.

Cyberdoggie
11-06-2014, 01:45 PM
A couple of great reads there. Gordon pulling no punches as always, and some passion from Roughy.

bornadog
11-06-2014, 01:51 PM
2. Some so-called supporters have the nerve to write to me complaining about effort by the team when they haven’t even renewed their membership or, having renewed it, haven’t honoured their payments obligations. To those so-called members and supporters, to quote Elvis … “Clean up your own backyard before you come lecturing me”.

Link (http://www.wyndham.starweekly.com.au/story/1804085/bulldogs-in-focus-together-we-will-get-better/)

Love this bit

KT31
11-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Leading into the 2008 draft, I was hopeful of being picked up. But it was unlikely to be the Bulldogs as I hadn’t had any discussions with them.
I find this quite odd as I would have thought the club would have talked to all perspective candidates to get some sort of read on them.

wimberga
11-06-2014, 02:04 PM
I find this quite odd as I would have thought the club would have talked to all perspective candidates to get some sort of read on them.

I'm not sure how common this is, but I know for a fact that when Tom Sheridan's name was read out by freo, he was shocked as he had not once had a single interview, phone discussion or anything the club

soupman
11-06-2014, 03:00 PM
I think some clubs are very reluctant to show their hand in any way with some players they rate highly, to try and avoid other clubs getting spooked and jumping before their pick. You would think at the very least they would have had discussions with people involved with them though.

Remi Moses
12-06-2014, 02:52 AM
Love this bit

Surprised some in the media didn't pick up the article.
But I suppose when you troll Facebook and Twitter accounts all day, it's a bit hard.

josie
14-06-2014, 12:53 AM
Thanks for posting these articles Greystache.

Great to hear we are reducing debt and to hear Gordon's fighting words. I also agree Roughy is likely to be next Captain.

These lean times will make the good times that much more enjoyable:- for those of us who hold the faith.