PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Game Day Round 13 - Collingwood V Western Bulldogs

Pages : 1 [2]

bulldogtragic
15-06-2014, 10:04 PM
I might also mention in passing to Dan "Bulldog through and through" Lonergan that perhaps it wasn't a disgrace that we didn't take Aish at pick 4

Clearly he wasn't paying attention last year to the draftees, or our plan to get big midfielders with very good disposal. I've not paid attention to him for a long time now. There's asking questions, critical assessment, proposing other ideas... But he doesn't seem to get what it means to be bulldog.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2014, 10:05 PM
We won't play Collingwood again until the finals will we?

Collingwood are not playing finals :)

Webby
15-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Here's to a strong finish to the season, some more kids rotating through the senior side and a crescendo of the VFL side going deep into their finals.

There's a good spirit building among the playing group at the club. The 'club' feel that having our own reserves side brings is a massive tick. You can really feel it building. I have no doubt the seniors fed off the VFL side's performance yesterday and took a bit of a boost into today's game.

Despite all the talk of the past couple of weeks, I'm feeling pretty good about our future. We're heading in the right direction. Good kids with good character who'll come through together and play for each other.

GVGjr
15-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Here's to a strong finish to the season, some more kids rotating through the senior side and a crescendo of the VFL side going deep into their finals.

There's a good spirit building among the playing group at the club. The 'club' feel that having our own reserves side brings is a massive tick. You can really feel it building. I have no doubt the seniors fed off the VFL side's performance yesterday and took a bit of a boost into today's game.

Despite all the talk of the past couple of weeks, I'm feeling pretty good about our future. We're heading in the right direction. Good kids with good character who'll come through together and play for each other.

Here here.

G-Mo77
I take it that Bontempelli's father is hugging him?

Yep.

The Bulldogs Bite
Best win since probably 2009 IMO.

We were both tough, ruthless and exciting to watch - a combination we haven't got anywhere near in 2014. A really brave effort considering we lost Cooney so early too, who started very well.

The quick ball movement really took Collingwood by surprise. We were simply too good in one on one contests, and really exposed them in this area. I thought our backs (Roughead and Morris) were beaten, so it was a great effort to pull out a win against a strong side.

Bonti was immense in the third quarter - he really stood up and seriously influenced the game. It was a pleasure to watch; we knew he was talented, but he has looked a little raw up until this point. That was a performance that really made me excited for the future - he could be anything.

Macrae and Libba were absolutely outstanding. Amazing to think Macrae is in his second year, he is already one our best players. Libba has to be in the top 15 players (or so) in the competition now.

Honorable mentions to Jones (best game for the club), Gia, Grant, Griffen, Minson, Tutt and Stevens.

Safe to say as a club, as supporters, we needed that.

F'scary
15-06-2014, 10:15 PM
Yep.

And I think that looks like a brother in the shot too. Probably the whole family are there.

LostDoggy
15-06-2014, 10:17 PM
Watching it again, brings a tear to my eye.

Webby
15-06-2014, 10:25 PM
I might also mention in passing to Dan "Bulldog through and through" Lonergan that perhaps it wasn't a disgrace that we didn't take Aish at pick 4

Is Dan Lonergan actually THE Danny from Droop Street?? Seriously, he wrote 6-7 weeks ago that he felt Sht Kilda's rebuild was going better than ours! If he couldn't spot that the Aints were experiencing a new coach "cat bounce" then he shouldn't be commentating on the game!

Had we lost by a kick today, the take away would surely be that Cloke was the difference between the two sides. We don't have a monster target and therefore have to work bloody hard for our goals. I tend to count our inside 50's versus the opposition in the knowledge that, when we get our list balance and on-field structure right, we'll be a force. The Aints are staring at Hayes and Riewolt retiring well before their next window opens.

As one or two ex girlfriends would testify on my behalf, I'd sooner be a Dog than a Saint!!

Greystache
15-06-2014, 10:27 PM
Got to love this shot!

Wow. No need for a DNA test there!

Webby
15-06-2014, 10:34 PM
Wow. No need for a DNA test there!

Yep, he nose he's Marcus's Dad! :)

LostDoggy
15-06-2014, 11:06 PM
Anyone want to comment on Kobe Stevens' game today?

My observation is that he looks better playing in the forward pocket than when he plays in the midfield or in the backline.

Yes agreed. This area is his place for the future once the younger, cleaner-possession kids come on.

F'scary
15-06-2014, 11:44 PM
Yes agreed. This area is his place for the future once the younger, cleaner-possession kids come on.

It gets pretty willing deep in the forward line, there is no room - it's all hot potato, probably suits his style. He can do the defensive stuff, he can take a mark overhead and he can sniff a goal. With Dahl in midfield, Gia retiring and Stringer probably earning his keep further up field, Kobe might be serious competition for a FP role for Dickson and Hunter.

Dry Rot
16-06-2014, 12:18 AM

IMO our best win since the first semi in 2006. IIRC we haven't had such a win against the odds since then.

Hard to fault any of our players and all the youngsters were good. Pleased to say Jones was very good.

SonofScray
16-06-2014, 12:28 AM
It gets pretty willing deep in the forward line, there is no room - it's all hot potato, probably suits his style. He can do the defensive stuff, he can take a mark overhead and he can sniff a goal. With Dahl in midfield, Gia retiring and Stringer probably earning his keep further up field, Kobe might be serious competition for a FP role for Dickson and Hunter.

I'll have to watch the replay but it looked like in each of his goals there was an opportune moment to give off the panicked, hospital bandpass that has stifled his output for us and finally he managed to make the right decision. Some good goals on the back of good bustling in close and being prepared to hang onto the ball.

josie
16-06-2014, 12:31 AM

Agree entirely. He is a pretty good kick for goal too. His intensity suits the forward line and the occassional "hot potato" handpass may not be as glaring as in the middle of the ground.

Ghost Dog
16-06-2014, 12:39 AM

Honorable mentions to Jones (best game for the club)

Safe to say as a club, as supporters, we needed that.

At last - a tall forward. So happy for the kid.

BornInDroopSt'54
16-06-2014, 12:46 AM
A great day in the history of this team. Grant was brilliant with his tap ons and processing of the ball, Bonte the octopus, just everyone seemed to contribute. Loved everyones desperation and composure. Loved the move the ball on at all costs style, we were great at it, like we found our true style.

LostDoggy
16-06-2014, 12:49 AM
Libba has to be in the top 15 players (or so) in the competition now.

AFL Facebook page asking for votes between Libba and Buddy for Player Of The Round.

soupman
16-06-2014, 09:28 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqKMWKBCQAAlxA3.jpg:large

Sorry to ruin what is an otherwise great photo here but is Dahlhaus wearing a G-String?

azabob
16-06-2014, 09:53 AM
Sorry to ruin what is an otherwise great photo here but is Dahlhaus wearing a G-String?

Why are you paying that much attention to the photo?

bornadog
16-06-2014, 09:57 AM

Yeah who cares hey Aza, we won, we beat the Filth.

azabob
16-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Yeah who cares hey Aza, we won, we beat the Filth.

Exactly BAD.

Great feeling this morning.

soupman
16-06-2014, 10:00 AM

My girlfriend noticed it, not me.

chef
16-06-2014, 10:11 AM
My girlfriend noticed it, not me.

Sure;)

LostDoggy
16-06-2014, 10:45 AM
What makes this win even better is that Collingwood were just about the form side of the comp and the fact that Collingwood actually played great footy, all there great players played well also.

The Pies young defence got exposed. They have been so good all year. Fair to say teams playing them in the next few weeks will be moving the ball as quick as possible just like we did.

Twodogs
16-06-2014, 11:01 AM
Now that's what I'm talking about.

Twodogs
16-06-2014, 11:02 AM

It might be a jockstrap.

Ozza
16-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Good call Jaytee. Cloke, Pendles, Swan, Elliott, Lumumba - were all very good. I know Beams and Sidebottom were out - but we had Boyd sitting in the stands, and Coons with the red vest on, so there aren't too many excuses.

Smashed them in the clearances - but importantly, they were better clearances that we've had in previous weeks. It was Libba kicking 55, or Griffen - and we had Jones, Grant and Bonte giving us a good contest when the quick ball came in, with Dahlhaus at their feet.

Mantis
16-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Good call Jaytee. Cloke, Pendles, Swan, Elliott, Lumumba - were all very good. I know Beams and Sidebottom were out - but we had Boyd sitting in the stands, and Coons with the red vest on, so there aren't too many excuses.

Smashed them in the clearances - but importantly, they were better clearances that we've had in previous weeks. It was Libba kicking 55, or Griffen - and we had Jones, Grant and Bonte giving us a good contest when the quick ball came in, with Dahlhaus at their feet.

Beams was a big out for them.. Has been in ripping form.

But great win by us, good to see the kids lead the way... Quite a few set the benchmark to how they need to perform on a consistent basis, with Jones at the top of the pile.

Hope we play like that for the rest of this year... It was very watchable.

always right
16-06-2014, 12:28 PM
I imagine Macca is drumming into them that Sunday's performance has to be the standard from here on. This week against a red hot Port Power is going to be a huge challenge and they are not the ideal match-up for us.

We may need to be a little realistic and recognize that taking them on at their own game would be suicidal. They are simply a far quicker and superior running side. We will need to find the right balance between attack and closing them down.

Ozza
16-06-2014, 02:38 PM
I'm expecting somewhat of a let down this week with the 6 day break, Griffen being up against it to come up, Cooney out and coming off such a high intensity game as yesterday (of course Port have come off one too). Really hopeful that we can dig in over at Adelaide oval and stifle Port's natural game.

Backing up this week with a strong performance where we are in the game all day would be really encouraging against the top side.

LostDoggy
16-06-2014, 03:09 PM
I'm expecting somewhat of a let down this week with the 6 day break, Griffen being up against it to come up, Cooney out and coming off such a high intensity game as yesterday (of course Port have come off one too). Really hopeful that we can dig in over at Adelaide oval and stifle Port's natural game.

Backing up this week with a strong performance where we are in the game all day would be really encouraging against the top side.

We're still such a young side that we really won't know until the day what team turns up, the Brisbane team or the Collingwood one, but I think it'd be good to just play our way regardless of whether Port are a quick team or not. I'd rather get beaten taking the game on and having them do it better than to play safe footy and get absolutely smashed.

whythelongface
16-06-2014, 03:13 PM
Beams was a big out for them.. Has been in ripping form.

But great win by us, good to see the kids lead the way... Quite a few set the benchmark to how they need to perform on a consistent basis, with Jones at the top of the pile.

Hope we play like that for the rest of this year... It was very watchable.

It seemed like a different game plan than previous weeks. Wonder what the trigger was? It would be interesting to know if the coaching staff realised that we need to take the game on, in particular against the top teams, rather than play a more conservative game style.

When we play a team we aren't expected to win against it seems that we throw caution to the wind and are able to play a more expansive game, whereas those that we are expected to win we seem to take that more conservative approach (a bit of a generalisation I know, but it certainly seems this way at times).

bornadog
16-06-2014, 03:24 PM
It seemed like a different game plan than previous weeks. Wonder what the trigger was? It would be interesting to know if the coaching staff realised that we need to take the game on, in particular against the top teams, rather than play a more conservative game style.

When we play a team we aren't expected to win against it seems that we throw caution to the wind and are able to play a more expansive game, whereas those that we are expected to win we seem to take that more conservative approach (a bit of a generalisation I know, but it certainly seems this way at times).

Also the opposition play a different game. By the way, Collingwood fielded a younger team than us in both games and age.

Ghost Dog
16-06-2014, 03:35 PM
I had to laugh when Jones tackles Lumumba and then the collingwood defender gets up half expecting to be handed the ball, or appears to. That's holding the ball mate!

whythelongface
16-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Also the opposition play a different game.

If we play like we did yesterday we should have teams altering their game plan against us, rather than us changing our game plan against them, in particular against teams that sit around us on the table. I feel that we, more often than not, let teams dictate us - hopefully this again is part of the learning curve for both coaching staff and team.

By the way, Collingwood fielded a younger team than us in both games and age.

It would be interesting to know the median age and games stats as our mean would be skewed by having 3 players on the wrong side of 30 who have played over (or close to) to 200 games. Who was the oldest player in the Pies line-up - maybe Swan.

I think our young guys certainly showed last night that they are on par in their development.

bornadog
16-06-2014, 04:33 PM
It would be interesting to know the median age and games stats as our mean would be skewed by having 3 players on the wrong side of 30 who have played over (or close to) to 200 games. Who was the oldest player in the Pies line-up - maybe Swan.

I think our young guys certainly showed last night that they are on par in their development.

Collingwood
Attribute
Western Bulldogs

188.0cm
Height
187.3cm

89.5kg
Weight
86.5kg

24yr 6mth

Games

Total Players By Games

Collingwood
Games
Western Bulldogs

Less than 50

50 to 99

100 to 149

150 or more

sorry a bit wonky

GVGjr
16-06-2014, 07:35 PM
My girlfriend noticed it, not me. So you say ;)