PDA

View Full Version : Rookies - Progress to date

bornadog
15-06-2014, 02:30 PM
This thread is a discussion on the current rookies and where they stand and what do we think we will do at the end of season. AFL.com.au gives a good assessment, but what do WOOFERS think?

From AFL.com.au:

Mark Austin: It looms as a make or break year for the former Blue and third-year rookie, with the Bulldogs needing to upgrade him to the senior list if they wish to retain the 25-year-old. Has been good key defensive cover but is yet play senior footy so far in 2014.

Alex Greenwood: In the same boat as Austin – the inside midfielder really needs a big finish to the year. The 20-year-old is yet to make his senior debut but has been solid in the VFL.

Lin Jong: Highly rated internally, the 21-year-old has been predominately used as a tagger during his nine career games. The third-year rookie is likely to be upgraded at season's end.

Jack Redpath: Another third-year rookie, the hulking key forward has impressed in the VFL this year. Brendan McCartney says his elevation to the senior list is on the cards.

Summary: The Bulldogs can upgrade someone under the nominated rookie rule but can also free up a spot by placing Clay Smith on the long-term injury list. The midfielder is expected to miss at least another two months with a shoulder injury. (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-27/dog-down-smith-facing-two-months-out) Redpath is the man likely to be elevated if the Dogs go down this track. - Ryan Davidson

azabob
15-06-2014, 02:49 PM
I think all will be moved on. The only question mark I have is if to upgrade Lin Jong.

G-Mo77
15-06-2014, 02:52 PM
I think all will be moved on. The only question mark I have is if to upgrade Lin Jong.

I think so as well. Jong is a chance from what I've read and heard but still no certainty.

Rocco Jones
15-06-2014, 02:53 PM
Is the 3 year rule still in place? Ideally I'd keep Jong, Redpath and Austin on the rookie list for another year.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2014, 02:54 PM

I agree.

I'm not being negative, it's just what I think.

azabob
15-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Is the 3 year rule still in place? Ideally I'd keep Jong, Redpath and Austin on the rookie list for another year.

Dude, they have all been around three years.

boydogs
15-06-2014, 03:06 PM
Too early to call. Greenwood probably hasn't done enough to get a chance but Redpath deserves a go at it. Austin has just been elevated so will get a chance to cement a spot and Jong deserves another go before the end of the year as well.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Dude, they have all been around three years.

Beat me to it Az. They will be elevated or cut from the list.

azabob
15-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Too early to call. Greenwood probably hasn't done enough to get a chance but Redpath deserves a go at it. Austin has just been elevated so will get a chance to cement a spot and Jong deserves another go before the end of the year as well.

Two and half years is plenty of time to call it, surely?

Bulldog4life
15-06-2014, 03:14 PM
Lin Jong: Highly rated internally, the 21-year-old has been predominately used as a tagger during his nine career games. The third-year rookie is likely to be upgraded at season's end.

Jack Redpath: Another third-year rookie, the hulking key forward has impressed in the VFL this year. Brendan McCartney says his elevation to the senior list is on the cards.

These are the two players I would consider keeping.

bornadog
15-06-2014, 03:16 PM

He is still 20 years old, but my gut feeling is he will be gone. Redpath would have to kick more goals before he is considered. Jong will most likely be upgraded and Austin needs to show something or its good bye.

azabob
15-06-2014, 03:17 PM

These are the two players I would consider keeping.

I think when BMAC says on the cards, it's code for not likely.

Typically BMAC I find when talking about payers he talks in specifics - yes or no answers.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Yep, they've had about 50 VFL games to show us something.

PedroArvy
15-06-2014, 03:32 PM
I don't get to the VFL much can anyone tell me what are Redpath's deficiencies? I keep hearing people say he should be elevated but clearly there are issues if he is isnt being considered. A big presence in our forward line is desperately needed.

boydogs
15-06-2014, 04:01 PM

Not for Jong or Redpath. Jong is new to the sport and Redpath is a KPF, they will both take longer to reach their potential.

Austin is more of a known quantity but deserves to be judged on how he goes in the seniors this year now that he has been elevated. Young, Roberts & Talia haven't come on like we had hoped so if he does well he might get another year with us