PDA

View Full Version : Who else on Woof is an only Bulldog

Eastdog
15-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Kind of similar to the great thread started by GVGjr. I'm so very proud of the complete team effort from the boys today. Playing this way is what will get us better time slots and more supporters and members. For me I think it's more a confidence thing that has been letting us down. Don't get me wrong we still have a long way to go but from what I saw from the youngsters today we have a very good future.

Anyway, back to the thread. While I'm the only Bulldog in my family I was wondering if there are any woofers who are the same. I know a few people at the footy who I talk to usually at the games each time I go to see the Dogs but apart from a few not too many I know who go for the Dogs. My support started for the Dogs back in 2001 after we won match I went to with my Mum and Uncle who support Melbourne against Melbourne in that season. That night the Dogs won by 5 goals and I've been a fan ever since. Through good times and bad times I will always support this club.

F'scary
15-06-2014, 09:49 PM
I was as I started following Western when I moved into the neighbourhood over 10 years ago. But now I have children and so I am not alone.

G-Mo77
15-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Only Bulldog in my family. We all went different ways.

My Father was Fitzroy
Mum is Geelong
Older brother is St. Kilda
Younger brother is Melbourne.

My house hopefully will be all red, white and blue. My wife is a Bulldog supporter although doesn't care to much about the game or team and my son hopefully will stay a Bulldog. He's 9 months so I can dress him in Doggies gear for a little longer without resistance. Gotta work hard on that over the next few years.

Eastdog
15-06-2014, 09:56 PM
Only Bulldog in my family. We all went different ways.

My Father was Fitzroy
Mum is Geelong
Older brother is St. Kilda
Younger brother is Melbourne.

My house hopefully will be all red, white and blue. My wife is a Bulldog supporter although doesn't care to much about the game or team and my son hopefully will stay a Bulldog. He's 9 months so I can dress him in Doggies gear for a little longer without resistance. Gotta work hard on that over the next few years.

Quite similar to me G-Mo77 except

Mum is Melbourne
Me the Bulldogs
Younger brother is Collingwood
Dad not really an avid footy follower

chef
15-06-2014, 09:59 PM
Me.

Mum and brother Bomber, Dad a Cat, another brother a Kanga and another a Hawk.

Max469
15-06-2014, 10:11 PM
Parents and 3 sisters - North

2 Brothers - Collingwood

Me - but convinced a nephew when he was a youngster with a few bribes and now he is as passionate
as me.

LostDoggy
15-06-2014, 10:20 PM
I'm an only dog in Adelaide. My daughters are keen but when we are losing they just say they dont follow football :)every other f@&$& goes for the horrid cows.

Eastdog
16-06-2014, 01:49 PM
I'm a lone Bulldog in my immediate family but in my extended family have 2 2nd cousins who support the Bulldogs (also lone Bulldogs in their families) so not entirely alone :)

lemmon
16-06-2014, 03:44 PM
Yep, both parents were migrants and never really got into the game, gradually trying to change that though

bornadog
16-06-2014, 04:27 PM
Yep, both parents were migrants and never really got into the game, gradually trying to change that though

My old man was a migrant (1950) and fell in love with the footy and went along with his migrant mates. When the kids were born ie myself and brothers and sisters, and his friends children, we all became doggies fans.

LostDoggy
16-06-2014, 11:23 PM
Parents mad cats fans
Sister mad cats fan
Mates are mad Carlton, bombers and a bunch of Tigers fans
Grandparents are mad Carlton fans
I'm just mad at the lot of them for none of them embracing my beloved dogs!

Eastdog
18-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Good to see that there are other lone Bulldogs around. It's always sweet when you beat your family's teams like with my brother who is a Pies fan. Nothing like some good old family footy rivalry :) In over week from now it will be me (Bulldogs) vs Mum (Melbourne).

ledge
18-06-2014, 03:59 PM
My whole family if you asked them who they followed would be the dogs but I'm the only true supporter, I live alone so I guess that makes me a lone supporter :-)
I separated 12 years ago and my children are long gone, I took them to games as kids but my son became a musician and my daughter a hairdresser.
My parents watch them on foxtell but they are 83 now and never went to games.
i mostly go to games on my own but usually meet people I know.

LostDoggy
18-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Yep I am the only Bulldog in my family,
dad was a Hawthorn man
mum follows the filth
wife hates sport, but reckons she was a Caaarlton fan growing up

Eastdog
30-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Are there any others woofers out there who are only Bulldogs.

Twodogs
30-08-2014, 09:42 PM
I'm an only child so I guess Im an only bulldog too. Although if I'd had brothers and sisters they would have been bulldog supporters. Of that I am sure.

GVGjr
30-08-2014, 10:06 PM
I'm an only child so I guess Im an only bulldog too. Although if I'd had brothers and sisters they would have been bulldog supporters. Of that I am sure.

So really you are onedog? :)

Twodogs
30-08-2014, 11:21 PM
So really you are onedog? :)

Oneofakinddog!

Eastdog
30-08-2014, 11:23 PM
Oneofakinddog!

Were your folks TD also Bulldogs supporters or did they support different sides which was more my case and then you found the Dogs on your own.

Twodogs
30-08-2014, 11:34 PM
My entire family are bulldog supporters. Cousins, aunties, uncles, the lot. We used to say that you had a choice. You could barrack for Footscray or you could starve to death.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2014, 11:44 PM
My entire family are bulldog supporters. Cousins, aunties, uncles, the lot. We used to say that you had a choice. You could barrack for Footscray or you could starve to death.

Same, in the DNA for generations. After 1991 I suggested only that I merely 'liked' Hawthorn because they kept winning GFs. I didn't get tickets to Bulldogs finals in 1992 and (half) brother who in a North member got to go and I was denied... 1992 was awesome... Tough love, I'm still shitty he got to go and not me. I never ever questioned my genes again and was rewarded with 1997 and 2008-2010.

Eastdog
19-10-2014, 06:01 PM
Bump. For some more positive talk :)

Twodogs
19-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Same, in the DNA for generations. After 1991 I suggested only that I merely 'liked' Hawthorn because they kept winning GFs. I didn't get tickets to Bulldogs finals in 1992 and (half) brother who in a North member got to go and I was denied... 1992 was awesome... Tough love, I'm still shitty he got to go and not me. I never ever questioned my genes again and was rewarded with 1997 and 2008-2010.

Just between you I, quite a few opted for the latter option. It was a pity to lose them.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2014, 09:57 PM
Just between you I, quite a few opted for the latter option. It was a pity to lose them.

The old saying that everyone loves a winner. To finish the yarn, I vividly remember my brother talking footy to me as his dad (different dads) is a manic Hawks member, and I could tag along to their games if I wanted. I said something along the lines of I like their players, wouldn't it be nice to win flags etc, never anything like I wanted to jump, and he said with a fair degree of forcefulness 'there's a name for people who have a team and turn their back on them. It's turncoat. Whatever else you can't be a turncoat." Its deep in my consciousness and vernacular as a word of real meaning, I'm not sure it gets used much now. I can look back and think if I didn't love our traditions as much as I did, maybe I could've felt footy success with the Hawks. But at the cost of being a turncoat, I'd rather spend purgatory watching replays of the 1997 PF last quarter. I think that's what burns about a captain walking out, it's an act of a turncoat and in leading by example shows members they can walk out too. I guess the moral of the story is just win premierships!

w3design
20-10-2014, 08:28 AM
My parents and sister are Geelong and my brother is Collingwood.
Living in the South East suburbs, there's not too many other Bulldogs supporters around, so I've made sure that all of my kids (and wife) are all Dogs supporters. The kids are all teenagers now and love being the only Dogs supporters around, because in there words, there's more people to "hang crap on" when we win. :D

Eastdog
20-10-2014, 01:10 PM
My parents and sister are Geelong and my brother is Collingwood.
Living in the South East suburbs, there's not too many other Bulldogs supporters around, so I've made sure that all of my kids (and wife) are all Dogs supporters. The kids are all teenagers now and love being the only Dogs supporters around, because in there words, there's more people to "hang crap on" when we win. :D

Good on you Woody313. Im a fellow Bulldogs supporter from out east and when I've taken the train in on match days it's always refreshing seeing quite a few Dogs fans on the way in from the eastern suburbs. Imagine when we become successful I'm sure there will be a lot more red white and blue coming out of the woodwork.

Sedat
20-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Mum and my brother are Carlton, dad is Norf and my sister is Geelong. I've made sure my kids are Dogs supporters - very important for children to learn disappointment from a very early age, and buggered if I'm going to suffer alone :D

Eastdog
20-10-2014, 02:33 PM
Mum and my brother are Carlton, dad is Norf and my sister is Geelong. I've made sure my kids are Dogs supporters - very important for children to learn disappointment from a very early age, and buggered if I'm going to suffer alone :D

That must of been a challenge Sedat to make the kids support us. A few flags would go a long way to attracting more young kids to the Bulldogs.

choconmientay
20-10-2014, 04:53 PM
I am an only bulldog supporter in my family. I came to Australia in 2000 and start following afl. I followed the dogs since ... therefor I am the only bulldog supporter in my family :D But ... since then, my better haft and the kids joined in. I am therefor not the only one anymore :)

GVGjr
20-10-2014, 05:04 PM
I am an only bulldog supporter in my family. I came to Australia in 2000 and start following afl. I followed the dogs since ... therefor I am the only bulldog supporter in my family :D But ... since then, my better haft and the kids joined in. I am therefor not the only one anymore :)

You've done well. Lets hope you can covert a few friends into supporting the Bulldogs

whythelongface
20-10-2014, 05:14 PM
My parents were both immigrants to Australia (from The Netherlands and Dutch East Indies) in the late 50's. Thus they had no interest in Australian Rules Football or Rugby League for that matter. Both were interested in football (I remember watching the 1978 WC Final as an 8 year old boy - also some recollection, albeit very vague, watching the 1974 WC Final). I remember my dad bringing home some of those old colouring books with AFL players in them (there were stickers with them as well) and I remember watching the AFL on channel 7 as a kid (coverage was pretty limited in Sydney at that time - I was more into Rugby League as well).

Anyway to cut a long story short I was the only member of the family to follow Aussie Rules, let alone Footscray. Though my dearly departed Mum was always interested in how my beloved Doggies were going and always watched them on TV when she could (so she did become a supporter by default).

Eastdog
20-10-2014, 06:09 PM
My parents were both immigrants to Australia (from The Netherlands and Dutch East Indies) in the late 50's. Thus they had no interest in Australian Rules Football or Rugby League for that matter. Both were interested in football (I remember watching the 1978 WC Final as an 8 year old boy - also some recollection, albeit very vague, watching the 1974 WC Final). I remember my dad bringing home some of those old colouring books with AFL players in them (there were stickers with them as well) and I remember watching the AFL on channel 7 as a kid (coverage was pretty limited in Sydney at that time - I was more into Rugby League as well).

Anyway to cut a long story short I was the only member of the family to follow Aussie Rules, let alone Footscray. Though my dearly departed Mum was always interested in how my beloved Doggies were going and always watched them on TV when she could (so she did become a supporter by default).

Nice story whythelongface. I love they way some of us just found the Mighty Doggies on our own and since then been very passionate about the club.

choconmientay
20-10-2014, 07:05 PM
You've done well. Lets hope you can covert a few friends into supporting the Bulldogs

Thanks. My wife is trying her hardest. She already converted few friends. With Asians, it is a bit hard to get them to join in. A young couple now joined us as reserve seat members at level 1. The guy was a Collingwood follower and the girl was soccer fanatic. Both of them are now regulars to our home game :)

Bulldog4life
20-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Thanks. My wife is trying her hardest. She already converted few friends. With Asians, it is a bit hard to get them to join in. A young couple now joined us as reserve seat members at level 1. The guy was a Collingwood follower and the girl was soccer fanatic. Both of them are now regulars to our home game :)

Well done Choco.

GVGjr
20-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Well done Choco.

What he said :)

choconmientay
20-10-2014, 07:35 PM
I'll pass on the message to my wife :) It's all her doing.

Greystache
20-10-2014, 07:38 PM
I'll pass on the message to my wife :) It's all her doing.

I also really enjoy the photos you post choco, keep it up :)

josie
21-10-2014, 04:56 PM

I told my son he'd lose his inheritance if he barracked for another AFL Team. He barracks for the Dogs of course.

josie
21-10-2014, 05:05 PM

Welcome Choconmientay !

Dog's up & coming player Jong has been a great ambassador for multicultural footy. I'm estimating there will be quite a growth in Asian supporter base if Jong takes the next step with his footy. I think he will.

Eastdog
21-10-2014, 06:49 PM
Welcome Choconmientay !

Dog's up & coming player Jong has been a great ambassador for multicultural footy. I'm estimating there will be quite a growth in Asian supporter base if Jong takes the next step with his footy. I think he will.

Jong was great in our VFL GF win and I'm hoping he gets more opportunities at AFL level. Our VFL success need to be looked at by our AFL team to motivate them to get better.

Twodogs
21-10-2014, 08:33 PM
I told my son he'd lose his inheritance if he barracked for another AFL Team. He barracks for the Dogs of course.

That's a good one.

BulldogBelle
21-10-2014, 09:13 PM

You sound like me.
l threatend to kick my kids out of our house if they did not follow the dogs.
Had a few close calls with the youngest but all good now.... l hope.

Eastdog
21-10-2014, 11:00 PM
:) :) :) that's quite harsh

LostDoggy
21-10-2014, 11:26 PM
:) :) :) that's quite harsh

Harsh but fair

Twodogs
22-10-2014, 12:36 AM
They always end up thanking us for it. The doggies will be your gift to them.

bulldogtragic
22-10-2014, 12:43 AM
You sound like me.
l threatend to kick my kids out of our house if they did not follow the dogs.
Had a few close calls with the youngest but all good now.... l hope.

How old were they when they first got that? :)

BulldogBelle
22-10-2014, 08:05 AM
How old were they when they first got that? :)

The youngest was about 7 at the time (10 half now) At under 9 footy few kids tried to convert him.
Believe it or not wanted to follow saints and even thought about the pies!
This was a kid that had met dogs players and had jumpers signed by them, go figure.

Eastdog
11-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Anymore lone Woofers in there families.

Eastdog
01-12-2014, 05:18 PM
Bump if there are any other passionate lone Dogs supporters in their families.

Once we can start having sustained on field success then over a long period of time the aim is to get as many people from not only the western suburbs but everywhere to support us and so have a good spread around the city who support the red white and blue. This will require a lot of work but I'm hopeful it can happen.

Eastdog
16-01-2015, 04:34 PM
Bump.

Testekill
16-01-2015, 04:40 PM
Only one in the direct family. Dad is a magpie, older sister is a magpie, mum just follows whoever has the big and ugly full forward (she adored Plugger and the Bulldogs were a defacto favourite while Hall played for us) and step-dad supports Carlton. Closest Bulldog in the family is my Auntie.

Eastdog
16-01-2015, 04:42 PM
Only one in the direct family. Dad is a magpie, older sister is a magpie, mum just follows whoever has the big and ugly full forward (she adored Plugger and the Bulldogs were a defacto favourite while Hall played for us) and step-dad supports Carlton. Closest Bulldog in the family is my Auntie.

Very much like me Testekill. I have one 2nd cousin who is a Dogs Supporter and lives out in the northern suburbs. Also the only one in his family.

Eastdog
15-02-2015, 03:11 PM
Bump.

Eastdog
26-03-2015, 08:46 PM
You'd hope on field success translate to us getting kids who may not have a team to support us but it doesn't always come off necessarily. North are an example in the 90s - they had success but it didn't translate to mass support. Hopefully this works out better for us when we do have that success.

Eastdog
30-04-2015, 10:04 PM
You'd hope on field success translate to us getting kids who may not have a team to support us but it doesn't always come off necessarily. North are an example in the 90s - they had success but it didn't translate to mass support. Hopefully this works out better for us when we do have that success.

Eastdog
26-06-2015, 10:02 PM
For those in families who follow different sides which fellow family member teams have you beaten this year :)

In my case:

We lost to my Mums team Melbourne
Yet to play my brothers team Collingwood

Hoping we can beat Collingwood and Melbourne when we play them later in the year to get some wins :)