PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs fan Induction Program

Rocco Jones
15-06-2014, 10:41 PM
Hiya all,

Went to the game today with a few people at work. 2 are Pies fans, one is a good Western suburbs girl and sees the light and the 4th was going to her first game. She is from the UK and said she was going for the Pies but I/Collingwood fans converted her pre game. I have donated a dogs beanie but will also put her through an induction program. Here are my steps so far...

1- Read 'Too tough to Die'
2- Go watch a Footscray VFL game at Whitten Oval

Any other suggestions? Year of the Dog? Water torture? Clockwork Orange type viewing of '97 prelim?

SonofScray
15-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Have to watch Year of the Dog on DVD, at least 5 times.
Guided tour of key Footscray places in the west, incl. WO, Teddy's statue, Braybrook Hotel for Dougie's statue and Skinner Reserve.
Donate 50c to the Hyde St Band.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Hiya all,

Went to the game today with a few people at work. 2 are Pies fans, one is a good Western suburbs girl and sees the light and the 4th was going to her first game. She is from the UK and said she was going for the Pies but I/Collingwood fans converted her pre game. I have donated a dogs beanie but will also put her through an induction program. Here are my steps so far...

1- Read 'Too tough to Die'
2- Go watch a Footscray VFL game at Whitten Oval

Any other suggestions? Year of the Dog? Water torture? Clockwork Orange type viewing of '97 prelim?

I watched 1997 today, it's far worse than water boarding. Still.
The Chris Grant story, start to now.
When she gets home she can download the 10 best WO moments off the clubs website. When she realises she was standing in the exact spot EJ willed his men to win in his last game, tears will flow.

bornadog
15-06-2014, 10:49 PM
Bulldog Museum at WO.

ReLoad
15-06-2014, 11:06 PM
Donuts from Olympic donuts at footscray station. Case closed.

josie
16-06-2014, 12:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg34yG0OE2g

1989 Footscray Fightback "Every Dog Has its Day" ....dyed in the wool doggies supporters, great video and thank goodness they saved the club from extinction.

LostDoggy
16-06-2014, 08:34 AM
Dinner with an Essendon and a Carlton fan so she can listen to the 16 flags bullshit, and learn to sit here internally smug, thinking “At least we don't cheat.”

Then she'll be ready.

Eastdog
16-06-2014, 02:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg34yG0OE2g

1989 Footscray Fightback "Every Dog Has its Day" ....dyed in the wool doggies supporters, great video and thank goodness they saved the club from extinction.

I always tear up when I watch that video about our great fightback.

Twodogs
16-06-2014, 03:42 PM
I'd suggest a pub crawl around Footscray but most of the pubs are gone now.

Eastdog
19-06-2014, 07:45 PM
I'd suggest a pub crawl around Footscray but most of the pubs are gone now.

Before I was around what was the main pub of choice before and after games in Footscray after playing out at the Western Oval. It would of been im bustling im guessing after we had a big win.

Webby
19-06-2014, 08:10 PM
Before I was around what was the main pub of choice before and after games in Footscray after playing out at the Western Oval. It would of been im bustling im guessing after we had a big win.

Depending on what side of the ground you approached from, the Albert in Essex Street West Footscray just north of the ground, at the Geelong Road end, The Rising Sun and more towards Middle Footscray Station, the Buckingham. All three forementioned are now apartments.

However, the Victoria Hotel (aka Hart's) just near Middle Footscray Station (and the old Buck) is still going strong. It's my staple pub of choice in Footscray, now. Run by Peter German and his Mrs. The Plough has gone 'trendy Melbourne hipster' but is still pretty good for a beer. The Barkly has gone 'hippie' and is now a lentil/vegetarian restaurant for people with hairy armpits, whilst, if you're up for a decent stroll, the Station Hotel on the corner of Hyde and Paisley does a great menu. You could drop by the Dancing Dog on the way and mix with the facial piercing, trendy-type set.

Honourable mention to the Mona Castle in Seddon which is only 10 mins brisk walk to the ground. Never rated the Courthouse hotel on Nicholson Street and the Belgravia is closed pending development.

In short, The Plough and the Vic are the two remaining pubs of choice. The Plough is more upmarket, but the Vic is very honest and old school. I like to watch my interstate games at the Vic.

SonofScray
19-06-2014, 08:49 PM
I miss The Buck :(

Webby
19-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Yep, the Buck was the best. Great Video Jukebox!

It made an appearance post-closure in the ABC series "The Slap." I think once it was closed, the TV production people hired it out to do a couple of scenes. That was its last hurrah. To say the Buck was no-frills would be an understatement!

I've migrated to the Vic - as did a few Buck and Albert people. Not that I was a regular, though.

doggies ftw
19-06-2014, 10:03 PM
I've never seen Year of the dog.... am I a bad person?

The bulldog tragician
19-06-2014, 11:21 PM
Bob Murphy's articles.

Starting with this:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/the-emotional-purge-of-beating-collingwood-20140618-zsdf8.html

No other club has a poet like Bob.

KT31
20-06-2014, 10:49 AM
Bob Murphy's articles.

Starting with this:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/the-emotional-purge-of-beating-collingwood-20140618-zsdf8.html

No other club has a poet like Bob.

Great article and great incite into his feelings after a game, I do hope the Age print the articles in book form one day.
I'm in no rush but Bobbie's is one autobiography I am looking forward to.

bornadog
20-06-2014, 12:06 PM
Give her a book of FDOTM cartoons

Murphy'sLore
20-06-2014, 01:35 PM
Bobby was in talks with a publisher about writing a young adult novel a few years ago but nothing seems to have come of it. Maybe he's waiting until he retires.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-06-2014, 04:25 PM
Great post and she seems in good Bulldog hands.

josie
20-06-2014, 07:10 PM

No, you're not a bad person, not even a bad doggie !!

It is worth a look though - very entertaining. Footy how it used to be and shows some great, salt of the earth, Doggies supporters.

bornadog
20-06-2014, 07:37 PM

http://youtu.be/PUFajkMlm8o

Here you go the whole movie - enjoy

Rocco Jones
21-06-2014, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. She sent me a text of Bobby's article off her own bat, what a champ!